THOMAS HILL. Twenty-six years ago the subject of this sketch settled upon a tract of partly improved land in Manito Township, Mason County, and here he has since resided. The farm, which lies on section 27, consists of two hundred and eighty acres of highly cultivated land. Upon which may be noticed all the improvements of a model estate. The residence was erected in 1883 at a cost of $1,500, while the barn, a substantial structure, was built at a cost of $1,100.
The parents of our subject, John and Jane (Nichols) Hill, were natives of Lincolnshire, England, where the father engaged in farming until his death in 1878. His wife passed away the same year. They had three children who attained mature years, but Thomas is now the only surviving member of the family. He was born in Lincolnshire in September, 1825, and was reared to manhood in the land of his birth, receiving a good education in the common schools. In 1851 he crossed the Atlantic, and landing in the United States, proceeded direct to Knox County, Ill., where he employed on a farm and in a brickyard. After spending some time in Victoria and Abington he went to Peoria and worked in a tavern for several years. Later he bought a team and operated a farm near Princeville.
Coming to Mason County in 1860, Mr. Hill rented a farm in Manito Township, and then operated as a renter in Egypt, this county, for a few years. Afterward he bought five acres and a house in Tazewell County, which he disposed of in six months. On his return to Mason County he resided for three years on the Alfs place and then purchased the farm where he now resides and upon which he is engaged in raising grain and stock. An untiring worker and a persevering man, he has gained success, not by luck, but through the exercise of good judgment and sound common sense. His time has been devoted entirely to his farming pursuits and he is not actively interested in politics, preferring to give his undivided attention to agriculture.
The lady who in March of 1862 became the wife of Mr. Hill bore the name of Nancy C. Long and is the daughter of John and Belinda (Kuykendall) Long, natives respectively of Tennessee and Indiana. Her parents were married in Indiana, and about 1815 settled in Clark County, Ill., before the Indians had left the state. In 1851 they removed to Mason County and established their home in Manito Township, where the father died in 1853 and the mother in 1864. Of their twelve children four are now living. Mrs. Hill was born August 15, 1835, and first married William Charlton, who died January 3, 1861. The two children born of this union are: James B., who married Mary Isenbarg and has five children; and Abraham Lincoln, who married Catherine Woodling and has four children.
Mr. and Mrs. Hill are the parents of five children, viz: John T.; George, a resident of Manito, who married Alice Combs and has two children; Sergeant M., of Manito Township, who married Laura Callaway, and they have one child; Cornelius Edward, who chose as his wife Miss Irene Steward, and they with their child reside in Manito Township; and Columbus, a teacher of this township, who by his union with Ada Kennedy has one child. Mrs. Hill has devoted her life to the welfare of her family and may well be proud of the fact that they are useful and honorable citizens of this locality. In her religious connections she is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
1894 Biography Index