Finally Named in 1847 for:
The Algonquin- A ship that Samuel Edwards had sailed on,(some say owned). The boat had supposedly
been named after the Indian tribe.
Samuel and Margaret Gillilan and their eight children were the first family to enter and settle in the county, near what was later known as the Village of Cary.
November 18, 1834.
March 10, 1839. Franklin Wallace married Hannah S. Beardsley. Miss Beardsley had taught the first school
in the area, in nearby Crystal Lake, 1838.
Deila Gillilan, who died at the age of
fifteen on August 26, 1835.
First Post Office in the Town:
1836, Postmaster-Dr. Cornish,(First of the County), who also ran his general store, distillery, mill, and a ferry-crossing on the Fox River.
A counterfeiter named Abnir Kirn, who was chased to this town and arrested by Allan Pinkerton of Dundee. Mr. Pinkerton later guarded President Lincoln during the Civil War, and began the Pinkerton Detective Agency.
BACK -- HOME