Welcome to  Genealogy Trails

McHenry County Biographies S-V

ROSS D. SILL.
Ross D. Sill, representative of the Standard Oil Company at Hebron, and one of the successful men of McHenry County, owns 180 acres of very valuable land in Hebron Township. He was born at Richmond , Ill., in July, 1864, one of the five children of John and Mary (Reed) Sill. John Sill was born in England in 1840, and in young man-hood came to the United States, and after a stop at Chicago came to McHenry County, locating at Richmond, where he rounded out his useful life, being actively engaged in farming for many years. His death occurred in 1909, and his widow died that same year. Ross D. Sill was reared at Richmond, and attended its schools. After reaching his majority he learned buttermaking, and for sixteen years was engaged in manufacturing butter. He then moved to Hebron, where for some years he was superintendent of the pumping station, resigning to accept his present position with the Standard Oil Company. In 1889 Mr. Sill was united in marriage to Miss Nellie A. Andrews,a daughter of Steven J. Andrews, of Hebron. Mr. and Mrs. Sill have a daughter, Sybil A., who was born August 17,1899. Their other daughter, Beulah, is deceased. The family belong to the Baptist church. Mr. Sill belongs to Waupin (Wis.) Lodge, A. F. & A. M. In 1918 Mr. Sill was elected a trustee of Hebron Township. The beautiful family residence at Hebron is owned by Mr. Sill, and here the family welcome their many friends, and are the center of a charming social circle.
"History of McHenry County, Illinois" Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1922
Transcribed by K. Torp


FRANK SILLIMAN.
Frank Silliman, one of the representative men of Seneca Township, was born in this township, two miles east of Franklinville, September 18, 1856, a son of Stiles and Martha (Burnside) Silliman, natives of Otsego County, N. Y., where they were married. In 1848 they came to Illinois to join her brother, Thomas Burnside, who had located in Seneca Township, some four or five years previously, and rounded out his life on the farm he had secured. Stiles Silliman bought a farm in Seneca Township about 1852, and died on it at the age of eighty-two years, on December 3, 1906, his wife having passed away October 4, 1905, aged eighty-seven years. The Silliman family originated in Connecticut. On the maternal side of the house, Stiles Silliman was con-nected with the Brewer family, of Holland origin. The Burnside family traces back to English and Scotch stock. Stiles Silliman was a road commissioner and a school director, being elected on the Democratic ticket. He was one of the original members of the Woodstock Camp, M. W. A. The children of Stiles Silliman and his wife were as follows: Ella, who married Charles Foote, removed to Nebraska, where she died at the'age of thirty-seven years; Irene, who is Mrs. A. L. Beam of Dorr Township; Frank, whose name heads this review; and George, who loft the farm twenty-five years ago, is a wholesale grocer of Elgin, HI. Frank Silliman grew up on the farm, helping to dig stones and perform all the tedious work incident to developing a wild farm. On January 30, 1883 Mr. Silliman was married to Allene Foote, a daughter of Hooker and Emeline (Eastman) Foote, who was brought to Seneca Township at the age of ten years, from Pleasant Prairie, Wis. Mr Foote was born in Madison County, N. Y., and Mrs. Foote in Otsego County, N. Y. The Foote family was founded in the New World during the Colonial period, representatives of it first locating in Connecticut, and going thence to New York. Both Mr. and Mrs. Foote were taken by their parents to Kenosha, Wis., when small, and were reared in that state. After their marriage, they kept a hotel at Pleasant Prairie for some years.
Frank Silliman and his wife became the parents of the following children: Harry, who is on the old farm, married Ora Jackett, and has three children, Stanley, Mildred and Ethel; Eva, who is Mrs. Fred Eppel, lives near McHenry; and Vellie, who is at home, was graduated from the Woodstock High School and then engaged for some years in teaching school in Seneca Township. For four years she was secretary of the McHenry County Sunday School Association, which was organized sixty years ago. In 1905 Mr. Silliman became interested in the teachings of Dr. Alexander Dowie, but now attends the Methodist Episcopal church at Franklinville. Mrs. Silliman has been a member of the Ladies' Aid Society of Seneca Township for thirty-five years. For fifteen years Mr. Silliman served as school treasurer and was township collector for many years, handling between $7,500 to $8,000 annually.
"History of McHenry County, Illinois" Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1922
Transcribed by K. Torp



WILLIAM S. SINCERBOX.
William S. Sincerbox, superintendent of the Bowman Dairy Company plant at Hartland, is a member of a prominent New York family, and a man widely and favorably known. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., December 7, 1866, one of the six children of Egbert and Sarah (Pierce) Sincerbox. Egbert Sincerbox was a native of New York state, and was a carpenter by trade. His death occurred when William S. Sincerbox was eleven years old.
William S. Sincerbox attended the local schools of his native county, and, when he was seventeen years old, he entered the milk and dairy business, and has devoted his life to it. In 1888 he located at Carpenterville , Ill., to work in the Borden Condensed Milk plant, as pan operator, and remained there until 1893. In the latter year he was offered a position as manager of the Chemung plant, owned at that time by the Great Western Condensed Milk Company, and accepted, and worked there for two years. In 1902 he went back to the Borden Company, and assisted in building their Woodstock plant, of which he was superintendent for twelve years. In 1914 he went to work for the Bowman Dairy Company, assisting in the building of the Cary Station, Lake Geneva and Hartland plants. He is stationed at this time as superintendent of the Bowman plant at Hartland. The capacity of the latter plant is 45,000 pounds of milk daily, and it is recognized by the state inspectors as being the best equipped in the country, the percentage given by them being 98 ½ %
On April 8, 1894, Mr. Sincerbox was married to Miss Hattie Belshaw, born June 18, 1873, at Clifton, Ill. She is a daughter of Hobart and Angelene (Davis) Belshaw, of Kane County. Mr. and Mrs. Sincerbox have two children, namely: Elva A., who was born December 3, 1898; and Hobart L, who was born June 21, 1902. The family belong to the Congregational church. He politically is a Republican and fraternally maintains connections with Belvidere Lodge No. 28, I.O.O.F., and the Woodmen of the World. An experienced dairyman, he is giving his company and the people of this district expert service, and this is proven by the high standing of his plant. Mrs. Sincerbox is a member of the Daughters of Rebecca and the Woman's Relief Corps.

"History of McHenry County, Illinois" Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1922
Transcribed by K. Torp



JAMES H. SLATER.
James H. Slater, manager of the Borden's Farm Products Company, Inc., at Ridgefield, is one of the leading dairymen of McHenry County, and one who thoroughly understands his business from start to finish. He was born in New York state, January 4, 1856, one of the six children of William H. and Evelyn (Sharp) Slater. William H. Slater was a native of New York state, but is now living at Allentown, Pa. By trade he is a harnessmaker.
Growing up in his native state, James H. Slater attended its common schools, and learned the trade of a harnessmaker from his father, but after working at it until 1882, he left it to become connected with his present company, first as an inspector and then, in 1907, he was made manager of the Hampshire plant, which he built and installed in that same year, and he remained in charge,of it until 1913, when he was placed in charge of the plant at Ridgefield. The Ridgefield plant was built in 1907, and has a capacity of 30,000 pounds daily. Mr. Slater is ably assisted by his bookkeeper, Daniel W. Fitzgerald. In politics- Mr. Slater is a Republican, but he has never desired public honors. Frater-nally, he is a Knight of Pythias. Energetic, experienced and capable, Mr. Slater has brought his plant up to a high state of efficiency and at the same time won for himself a personal regard which is sincere and widespread.
"History of McHenry County, Illinois" Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1922
Transcribed by K. Torp



FRANK C. SLAVIN.
Frank C. Slavin, mayor of Hebron, and vice-president of the Hebron Bank, has done much to promote the welfare of his community, and add to the prestige of the financial institution with which he is connected. He was born at Lake Geneva, Wis., January 19, 1868, one of nine children born to Matthew A. and Anna (Coffee) Slavin. Matthew A. Slavin was born in Ireland, but came to the United States in 1849, and for seven years thereafter was engaged in farming in the vicinity of Albany, N. Y. He then came West and was at Lake Geneva, Wis., until 1887, at which time he moved to Hebron Township, remaining here until his death in 1905.
Frank C. Slavin was brought to Hebron Township by his parents, and was here taught farming and completed his schooling. All of his mature years he has been interested in farming, and owns 653 acres of land in Hebron Township, and 444 acres in another part of the county. In addition to carrying on these extensive agricultural operations, Mr. Slavin is a member of the grain firm of Slavin, Aylward and Randall, of Hebron; of the furniture firm of Slavin, Eastman & Pierce, of Woodstock; and for the past fifteen years he has been president and manager of the Grove Creamery company. For some years he has been a member of the Elgin Board of Trade. As a Republican he has taken an active part in politics, and in 1910 he was appointed to fill out the term of Levi Nichols, mayor of Hebron. In the fall of that year he was elected to the office and has since been re-elected several times. Under his businesslike administration Hebron has greatly prospered and many improvements have been inaugurated and carried out.
Mr. Slavin was married to Miss Nellie Powers, a daughter of Michael Powers, of Troy, Wis., and she died in 1910, leaving two children, namely: Florence E. and Francis J., both of whom are at home. Mr. Slavin was married (second) to Mrs. Helen (Stratton) Watkins, and they have one son, Jean M., and one daughter, Helen Elaine. The family belong to the Catholic church. It is but seldom that any man is successful along so many lines, but Mr. Slavin has never known failure, and he is not only prosperous in a marked degree but he is popular as well, and is held in the highest esteem all over the county where he is exceptionally well known.
"History of McHenry County, Illinois" Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1922
Transcribed by K. Torp



LEROY B. TOOKER.
A popular and able young representative of the newspaper business in Western Oklahoma, Mr. Tooker is editor and manager of the Beaver Democrat, a well ordered weekly paper published at the county seat of Beaver County.
Mr. Tooker was born at Lawrence, McHenry County, Illinois, on the 12th of July, 1888, and is a son of Benjamin F. and Mary L. (Palmer) Tooker. His father was born in 1840, in the State of Wisconsin, where his parents were pioneer settlers, and for many years he was a successful building contractor, a vocation which he continued to follow until 1907, when he came to the newly-organized State of Oklahoma and obtained a tract of Government land in Beaver County. This homestead, which he has developed into one of the well-improved and valuable farms of the county, is situated twenty-four miles southwest of Beaver, the county seat, and there he and his wife still maintain their residence, their marriage having been solemnized in 1879 and Mrs. Tooker having been born in Pennsylvania, on the 8th day of July, 1842, her parents likewise having been natives of the old Keystone State. They have three children, of whom the subject of this review is the youngest, as is he also the only son: Lynnia Belle, who was born February 20, 1880, at Lawrence, Illinois, was united in marriage in 1911, to Hugh N. Robertson, and they reside in Beaver County, Oklahoma, their two children being Linden and Lillian; Georgia May, who was born in 1882, became, in 1899, the wife of Charles L. Munger, their home being in Beaver County, and they have five children,—Vernon, Harlan, Adrian, Kenneth and Lila.
The public schools of his native place afforded to Leroy E. Tooker his early educational advantages and after completing the curriculum of the high school he pursued a higher course of study in the University of Illinois at Champaign. He left the university in 1909 and immediately came to Oklahoma, where his parents had established their home in the preceding year. Here he put his scholastic attainments to practical test and utilization by becoming a representative of the pedagogic profession. As such he devoted two years to teaching in the public schools of Beaver County, his successful work including a year of service as principal of the village schools of Beaver, in 1910-11.
On the 19th of June, 1911, Mr. Tooker purchased the plant and business of the Beaver County Democrat, and in the following year he founded the Forgan Enterprise, of both of which weekly papers he has since continued editor and publisher and both of which he has brought up to a high standard,—especially as purveyors of local news and as exponents of the general interests of Beaver County. Since assuming control of the Beaver County Democrat, which is the pioneer newspaper of the county, he has effected its absorption of the La Kemp Mirror, the Ivanhoe News and the Forgan Enterprise in the Beaver County villages of the names designated, and thus he had made the Beaver County Democrat a paper of specially wide circulation and dominating influence in the county, its political proclivities being indicated by its title. Both through his paper and in a personal way Mr. Tooker stands exemplar of civic progressiveness and spares neither time nor effort in his efforts to promote the social and material advancement and well being of Beaver County and its people. In the time-honored Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and he is affiliated also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He holds membership in the Presbyterian Church, of which his parents have been zealous members for many years. This energetic, wide-awake and progressive young journalist is still numbered among the eligible bachelors of western Oklahoma, and it is needless to say that this fact does not in the least militate against his popularity in social circles.
[Source: "A Standard History of Oklahoma", Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]



BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails