The Village of Cary, in Algonquin Township, is located
on the Fox River in southeastern McHenry County.
The first settlers of McHenry County, the Gillilan family,
made their home here. The name of the Village came from
William D. Carey, whose biography follows.
William Dennison Cary
by Dr. William L. Baran
William Dennison Cary was born 7 September 1807 in Sandy Creek Onondaga (Oswego) Co. NY. His father was John Flavel Cary and mother was Esther Stanton. They were married ca1804, Alexandria, Genesee Co., N.Y. It is mentioned that John F. graduated from Dartmouth in 1800. William had two brothers and a sister. The sister Esther D. married a Fowler. Esther D. (Cary) Fowler eventually moved to Warrensville, Illinois. The family lived in Meadville Pa. and Chautauqua Co. N.Y. John Franklin died suddenly 28 Sept. 1828.
John Flavel Cary's father was Deacon William Cary who moved his family to Lempster N.H. His mother was Eunice Webb who was from a very old originating family also. In fact her family was related to the Waterman family as was William Dennison Cary's wife Lodema as we will see later. He was known for his great strength. In 1761, when a neighbors house was on fire, he took a tub of water holding over a barrel, carried it across four posts and a rail fences, dashed it on the fire and put it out. He was Captain of Co. I, Col. Bellow's Regiment, 1776; Capt. Of Co. 8. same regiment, Sept. and Oct. 1777, which reinforced the army of Gen. Gates at Saratoga at the time of the surrender of Burgoyn's Army, Oct. 17,1777, He died 7 May 1808, his wife in 1809. The Cary antecedents have joined the DAR through his service.
The Cary Family established itself in the US early. The history can be found in John Cary; The Plymouth Pilgrim, by Seth Cary 1911.(out of print). John Cary came to US about 1634 from Bristol, Somersetshire, England and joined the Plymouth Colony making his home in Duxbury, Mass. He served under Capt. Myles Standish with the Duxbury Co. He did move to Bridgewater, Mass. There is a monument to him and states that he was the first settler and first officer of the town. Tradition says he was the first to teach Latin in the Plymouth Colony.
In England, the Cary family goes back to Castle Kari, Somerset England. The first was Adam de Kari 1170. The castle is still on the map but in ruins. There also is a crest associated with the Family.
So William Dennison Cary came from a family of adventurers, contributors, and truly builders of new communities and towns.
His wife was Lodemia Eells and she was also from families that went back to the Plymouth Colony. Lodemia was born 1809 Plattsburgh, Clinton Co. NY. Her father was Simeon Eells and her mother is not known. William D. Cary and Lodemia Eells met and were married in Chautauqua Co. N.Y. ca 1830. When they came by covered wagons from the East in ca.1836 they brought two of there children who were born in Chautauqua Co. N.Y. They first settled in Algonquin Twp McHenry Co. Ill. William D. Cary purchased the land that would eventually be Cary Station on Oct 29th 1842 for $1.25/ acre. It was designated as the Southeast Quarter of the Southwest Quarter of section 8 township number 43 North Range No. 9. Shirley Mentch has in her possession a blanket chest that was brought from N.Y. on the wagon trip to Ill.
The original Cary House is still standing. It was moved from the original location on US 14 which is now the location of the Phone Company around the First Ave. area.
William D. Cary was appointed Postmaster of Cary Station for a very short time in 1857. He turned the office over to John Nish at the expiration of his term.
William D, Cary died on 3rd February 1861 at 53yrs, 5months, 27days and was buried
in the Cary Cem..
There is an old head stone that was rededicated by John Yazel a direct descendant of William D. Cary.
Dr William L. Baran,
husband to Lesley Mentch,
a descendant of William D. Cary.