THE HONORED DEAD.
This chapter transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Transcription Team Member Deena Roberts
A Chapter Devoted To Eminent And
Worthy Citizens, Pioneers And Others Whose Life Work Is Completed. Farmers, Business Men, Soldiers, Legislators,
Editors and Educators. The Early Settlers.
Eminent Men Of Woodstock. Of Other Parts Of The County. Incidents In Pioneer Life. Achievements And Honors.
George B. Adams, of Marengo, died in May, 1883. He came to Illinois from Vermont about twenty-seven years before and had resided in Marengo twenty-five years. He was a man of ample means, an earnest member of the Baptist church, and one of the most worthy citizens of the county. He held various local offices and was a usefal man in the community.
Sebre D. Baldwin, a young but very able man, died Sept. 23, 1883, aged thirty-three years. He served the county as an educator for seventeen years, and for eight years was principle of the McHenry schools. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools in 1882 and discharged his duties with fidelity. He was a man of good character, held in high respect by all who knew him. He was born in Greenwood, March 7, 1850, and educated in the common schools and at the Milton, Wis., College which he attended for a year. He was one of the best teachers in the county.
Osborn Barber was born in Harwinton, Litchfield Co., Conn., in 1793; died in Woodstock, Ill., Feb. 13, 1881. He spent some years in Lake County, Ohio, and in 1846 settled in Richmond, McHenry Co., Ill. He afterward removed to Wisconsin, thence back to McHenry County. He passed the latter part of his life in Woodstock. He was a good man and much respected.
George W. Bentley was born in Dover, Dutchess Co., N.Y., Aug. 3, 1808, and resided in his native county until 1831. He then married Miss Eleanor C. Hotchkiss, who survives him, and removed to Honeoye Falls, in Western New York where he was engaged in the drug business until 1847. He then removed to Woodstock, Ill. After his arrival in McHenry County he engaged in the mercantile business for a short time, then went to farming until 1855 when he was elected Sheriff of the county. He served a term of two years, proving a very competent officer. At the expiration of his term he again engaged in the mercantile business and followed it a few years. He next purchased a farm and engaged extensively in fruit raising. He died Dec. 27, 1879, leaving a widow and four children. He was a man of great energy and enterprise and had a large circle of friends and acquaintances by whom he was much esteemed.
Aaron P. Boomer was born in Ellisburg, N.Y., in 1806. He moved to Ohio in 1833, and thence to Nunda Township, McHenry Co., Ill., in 1845. He subsequently removed to McHenry, and a short time before his death to Woodstock. He died June 17, 1882, leaving a widow and several sons and daughters.
James Bryant was one of the pioneers of Nunda. He emigrated from New Hampshire in 1837, and settled upon a farm where he remained until his death. He was honest, upright, prompt and fair in business, and a much-esteemed citizen. He died in 1866, in his seventy-fifth year.
Richard Burk was born in Ireland, in 1800. He settled in Greenwood, McHenry County, in 1841, and here resided until his death, in 1876. He was a man of genial nature, of industrious habits, and was highly respected.
Colonel Ebenezer S. Caldwell died at Crystal Lake, Jan. 18, 1879, at the age of ninety-one years. He was born at New Hartford, Litchfield Co., Conn., Oct. 7, 1787; in 1802 moved with his parents to Madison County, N.Y.; in 1808 married Sally Clark. Served in the war of 1812, at Sackett's Harbor, N.Y.; in 1820 joined the Congregational church, and thenceforth led an earnest and faithful Christian life. In 1845 he removed to Racine County, Wis., and subsequently to McHenry County, Ill. He was an earnest friend of the anti-slavery movement and other Christian reforms.
Silas Chatfield was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1781. At the age of sixteen he moved to Cayuga County, N.Y. While there he enlisted in the war of 1812, serving as Lieutenant, and afterward as Captain. In 1818 he removed to Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where he remained until 1836. Then he came to Illinois, settling at Pleasant Grove, near Marengo. In 1839 he removed about five miles north to the farm where he spent the remainder of his days. He died April 2, 1866. He was a good citizen and was highly esteemed.
Leander Church was born in Cayuga County. N.Y., June 8, 1810, and died in Woodstock, Ill., Dec 20, 1880. He came to Illinois in 1848, and thereafter he and his family were actively identified with the interests of McHenry County. Mr. Church was at one time the landlord of the Waverly House, and was popular with all who knew him. His career was straightforward and honorable. He was a Mason of high standing. Mr. Church left a family of three sons and four daughters.
Hon. Neill Donnelly, prominently identified with the interests of McHenry County for many years, died in the city of Woodstock, Feb. 19, 1883. He was born in the town of Killamuck, Parish of Bullondery, County Derry, Ireland, May 12, 1816. At the age of thirteen he was left an orphan and thrown upon the cold charity of the world. This fact, doubtless, had a tendency to strengthen his confidence in himself and make him strong and self reliant. Finding it difficult to make a living in his own land, in the year 1833 he sold the little property which he possessed and came to America with the proceeds. He worked in the factories in Lowell, Mass., and neighboring cities, attending the evening schools and improving his mind what he could. In 1838, together with his wife and child, he came to Illinois and took up land upon Queen Ann Prairie. The first year's crop he lost by fire. Without means, but with that industry and perseverance which characterized his after life, he left his family with his mother and went back East, where he labored one year. He then returned to his family, and, by persevering economy, in a few years acquired considerable property. For ten years he continued farming in the town of Greenwood. In 1848 he removed to Woodstock, where, three years later, he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until his death. In the year 1857, when times were hard and crops almost a failure, his was one of the few mercantile establishments which passed through the trying time without failure or suspension. At that time, although much was due him and he was hard pressed, instead of enforcing collections from his debtors, he borrowed money, mortgaging his property, and distributed funds among those whom he was owing, informing them of his reasons for his act. Thus he saved his own credit and was relieved from the responsibility of bringing ruin upon his friends. His generosity was appreciated by his customers, and his business increased. Mr. Donnelly was active in promoting the interests of the public. He was the prime mover in obtaining the charter of the Illinois & Wisconsin Railroad, now the Chicago & Northwestern. He was also largely instrumental in securing the fine school building of the city of Woodstock. In 1863, he was chairman of the building committee of the St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church. He paid for the most of the edifice himself, and was afterward reimbursed by the members. He served upon the Board of Supervisors, and was chairman of the committee selected to build the present court-house, and he superintended its construction. He was always faithful in the public service. Politically he always acted with the Democratic party, and was one of its leaders of this county. At one time when secession threatened the destruction of the Union, he took a firm stand for the patriotic cause, and throughout the years of war and bloodshed had the proud distinction of being an unswerving Union man. He served as Coroner of the county in 1845 and 1846, and was Sheriff in 1849 and 1850. In 1857 he was nominated for Congress by the Democrats, and polled a larger vote than any other Democrat ever nominated for that position in this section of the State. He was an able stump speaker, gifted with wit and an aptness for repartee. His known honesty and his strength in argument made him also a very effective speaker. He was twice elected Mayor of the City of Woodstock, and in that position gave evidence of superior executive ability. Mr. Donnelly was a firm believer in the Christian religion, and one of the foremost members of the Catholic church. He was charitable and friendly to the unfortunate. In 1862 he purchased the site of the Catholic cemetery and had it laid out into lots. In Mr. Donnelly's death, Woodstock lost one of its best citizens.
Josiah Dwight, one of the most prominent of the early settlers, came from Northampton, Mass., to McHenry County, in the spring of 1838, and located in Greenwood. Thence, in 1846, he removed to Woodstock, where he was prominent in various official capacities for many years. In 1876, he removed to Wyoming, near Cincinnati, Ohio, where he died Dec. 30, 1878, aged sixty-four years. Mr. Dwight established and published the Illinois Republican, the first newspaper in McHenry County, which attained high rank as a county newspaper under his editorial charge. He also edited the Sentinel for several years. During the administration of Taylor and Tyler he was Postmaster at Woodstock, and performed his duties in a manner satisfactory to all. For nearly twenty years he was in the circuit clerk's office, either as principal or deputy, proving himself a very competent official. He was a man of much good sense and native ability, and his death was widely mourned.
Abel W. Fuller was one of the early and prominent business men of Woodstock. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1821, and received a limited education. In 1844 he came West without money and with no prospects. Calling on his friend, I.R. Lyon, at Waukegan, he obtained employment as clerk in his store. Subsequently he worked at carpentry, then peddled goods on the road. In 1849 he settled in Woodstock, and commenced the dry-goods business in partnership with I.R. Lyon, his former employer. In 1851 J.F. Lyon was added to the firm, which carried on a large business in the style of Lyon, Fuller & Co. J.F. Lyon retired in 1854. In 1857 E.E. Sherwood became one of the firm, which was the Lyon, Fuller & Sherwood. I.R. Lyon retired in 1861, and the business carried on by Fuller & Sherwood until the decease of the former. Mr. Fuller died in August, 1868. He was a successful merchant and an honored citizen.
Robert Gardner was born in Pomfret, Chautauqua Co., N.Y., July 13, 1819; came West in 1838, and to McHenry County in 1840; resided in Harvard from 1856 until his death, Aug. 9, 1877. In 1847 he married Sarah M. De Lee, by whom he had eight children. Mr. Gardner was an active business man, and held several positions of honor and trust. He was of strong opinions, energetic and courageous. He had many friends and was worthy of the trust and confidence of them.
Simon S. Gates was born in Sturbridge, Mass., Oct. 1, 1799, and when quite young moved to Worcester. His early life was marked by that same decision and energy of character which contributed so largely to his success in later years. He first visited this part of the country in 1838, making the journey from Worcester, Mass., on horseback and alone. In 1840 he was elected a member of the Massachusetts Legislature. In 1852 he settled in this county where he passed the remainder of his days. He died June 24, 1876, at Crystal Lake. He was a successful business man and an honored citizen. He was a member of the Congregational church, and for several years served as a Deacon in that body.
Colonel William Henry, for over thirty years a resident of Algonquin, died Jan. 7, 1876, aged eighty-three years. He was well and favorably known all over the county. He was interested in every enterprise likely to benefit the public, and was quite an active politician.
Reuben Hurd was born in Chenango County, N.Y., in 1819. He came to Illinois in 1844, and here married Abigail Thompson. He was a prominent member and an Elder of the Presbyterian church. He was a Christian gentleman and an esteemed citizen. e died in September, 1882, leaving a widow and four children.
Walter P. Jewett was born near Bennington, Vt., in 1806. He came West in 1836, and settled on Rock River. In 1841 he purchased, in McHenry County, the farm southeast of Woodstock, known later as the Gregory farm, upon which he resided until 1857. He then removed to Woodstock, where he died Jan. 17, 1879. His death was very sudden; he was found dead in the stable, where he had gone to do the chores. Mr. Jewett's life was one of integrity and uprightness, generosity and warm friendship. He was most highly esteemed.
Fred C. Joslyn, one of the early pioneers of this county, was born in Cayuga County, N.Y., and died in Woodstock, Ill., Dec. 12, 1880, aged sixty-three years. He settled at Crystal Lake in 1838, and for about twenty years prior to his death had resided in Woodstock. He was a worthy citizen, and a brother of Judge Joslyn, of Woodstock.
Alvin Judd was born in Chester, Mass., March 29, 1800. He came to Illinois in 1836, and to McHenry County in 1837, residing her until his death. He fell dead near his residence, Oct. 4, 1881. Mr. Judd was the original owner of the tract of land on which the greater portion of the city of Woodstock now stands. In the early history of the town he kept a tavern here. He was a respected citizen, well-known to all the citizens of Woodstock, both old and young.
John Kerr was born in Lancaster, Pa., in 1785; spent his youth in Kentucky, removed to Ohio in 1810, and resided there until 1839. He then came to Boone County, Ill., and thence, 1857, to McHenry County. He died in Woodstock, Dec. 13, 1863. He was a prominent man in the Whig party, and at one time was a candidate for Congress. He was a member of the Methodist church for over thirty years, and a very worthy man. He was the father of Hon. Wm. Kerr, at one time County Judge.
Hon. Cornelius Lansing, a man who acted a very prominent art in the affairs of McHenry County, died Aug. 25, 1865. He was born in the State of New York in 1814, and settled in Marengo in 1850. He was a man of brilliant mind and unusual ability. He held many important official positions, and at the time of his death was State Senator. He was an earnest Union man during the war, and a highly esteemed citizen.
Apollos Lincoln was born in Wilmington, Vt., June 1, 1804, and died in Marengo, Ill., Feb. 24, 1881. He was reared in the Genesee Valley, N.Y., where his father was an early settler. In 1828 he married Melissa Wart and moved to another part of the State. In 1846 he came to McHenry County, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his days. He was a good citizen and a consistent member of the Baptist church.
J.R. Mack, an old and respected citizen, died at Nunda, Jan. 3, 1879. He was favorably known throughout the eastern part of the county. For several years he was a preacher of the Universalist denomination. He was the prime mover in the erection of the Universalist church at McHenry, and was one of the most zealous members of his denomination. His last years were filled with suffering, he being confined to his bed for three years previous to his death. His age was sixty-one years.
William McCollum, an aged and respected pioneer, died at his home in McHenry, June 1, 1884, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He was born in West Virginia, not far from Steubenville, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1801. When three years of age he went with his parents to Fairfield County, Ohio, where he remained until 1837. In that year, accompanied by his brothers John and David, he came to Illinois, and on the 14th of July they pitched their tent upon the west bank of McCollum's. Mr. McCollum was accompanied by his family, which, at that time, consisted of his wife and four children. Two years later the McCollum brothers were joined by their brother George. All are now dead, John, George, David, and William, having passed away in the order mentioned. A log-house, part of which is still standing on the Samuel Sherman place, was built by three of the brothers in 1837. Mr. McCollum married Catharine Robinault in 1829, and was the father of six children-Almira, Samantha, Peter, Samuel, George and Margaret, all of whom are still living. Mr. McCollum was a man of strict honesty and integrity, a kind father, a genial neighbor and a faithful friend.
James A. McLaven died in Woodstock, Sept. 23, 1883. He was born in Johnstown, N.Y., and was seventy-one years old. He settled in Alden, McHenry County, in 1846, and at Woodstock in 1875. He was a faithful member of the Presbyterian church, in which he had held the office of Elder. As a business man he was successful, and as a citizen highly respected.
John McOmber - This aged pioneer took his leave of the scenes of this life at McHenry, on the 27th of May, 1884, in the ninetieth year of his age. He was a native of Massachusetts, but went to Saratoga County, N.Y., when young, and there, in 1817, was married to Betsey Monro. They settled in Boone County, N.Y., where seven children were born to them. Their youngest son dying in infancy they came with the six remaining children to McHenry in June, 1837, when there was but one shanty on the west side of Fox River. He erected the first cabin in the place, on the present site of E.M. Owen's house. On the 20th of June, 1837, he commenced work on the saw-mill of Mr. Barnum, and completed the work after the mill site had passed into other hands. From the first lumber sawed at the mill he erected a house where the residence of Wm. Cristy now stands. He was a skilled mechanic, and was almost constantly employed in erecting the first houses that were built in McHenry, many of which are still standing. He superintended the building of the first court-house in the county. He moved, in 1843, to his farm, two miles southwest of McHenry, where he resided, alternately working at farming and at his trade, until 1857, when he returned to the village. In 1853 he commenced building the Universalist church in McHenry, and completed the task the same year, giving much of his time and labor gratuitously. He was a good man, possessed of a strong mind. He was opposed to every sort of sham and hypocrisy; his heart was generous and unswerving in fidelity to truth.
James G. Murphy died in Abingdon, Ill., March 27, 1880, at the age of eighty years. He was born in Nicholas County, W. Va., and in 1845 came to Woodstock, Ill., residing in this vicinity about twenty-three years. He was one of the hardy Virginian settlers to whom McHenry County owes so much of its growth and prosperity. He was a man much honored and respected, and an active member of the Methodist church. He died at the home of his son, H.C. Murphy. Three of his sons are well-known to the people of Woodstock. Hon. T.D. Murphy, A.R. Murphy and Dr. P.W. Murphy.
Edward Murphy, father of John J. and E.A. Murphy, died suddenly in Woodstock, April 27, 1877, in the eighty-second year of his age. He came to McHenry County in 1844, and settled in the town of Hartland, where he resided until within about fifteen years of the date of his death, when he moved to Woodstock; his wife having died he resided with his children, and died at the house of his son-in-law. Mr. Murphy possessed a sound, strong, mind; was a keen observer and a careful reader, therefore he was thoroughly posted on all current affairs. He was a member of the Catholic church, and was respected by all who knew him.
Patrick E. Murphy came to McHenry County in 1843, settling in Hartland. In 1851 he went to California, where he remained four years. In 1865 he purchased a grocery in Woodstock and carried on that business until 1868, when he died. He was a Catholic, a man of good heart and generous impulses.
Alvin H. Parker was born in Ontario County, N.Y., in 1804. He came to McHenry County in 1841, and resided here until his death, April 4, 1879. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for over half a century, and was a very worthy citizen. His remains were buried in Hebron.
Henry Petrie was born at Hudson, N.Y., April 15, 1802, and came to McHenry County in 1844. He built a grist-mill at Algonquin, and had stores at that place and at Woodstock. He afterward moved to Chicago, and for some years filled the office of Inspector of Liquors. When the "whisky ring" was formed he refused to enter into its crooked ways, and resigned his position. He was a Spiritualist, and a man of unimpeachable character, with a pure and well-stored mind. He died in Chicago, April 3, 1879.
Thomas J. Richards was born July 16, 1802, in Plainfield, Mass. When twelve years old he went with his parents to Hamilton, N.Y., when a comparatively new country. In early manhood he returned to his native State, and in 1825 he began the mercantile business at New Bedford, where he remained for several years. His health becoming impaired, he closed his business and went to McKean County, Pa., where he engaged in farming and lumbering. Meeting with financial misfortune in 1837, he decided to seek a home in the West, and after a long and tedious journey he located with his family near Marengo, Ill., where he resided over thirty years. He then removed to the farm near Woodstock, where he died Jan. 22, 1881. Mr. Richards was a most successful farmer, a man of genial and obliging nature and Christian character. He never aspired to office, but took great interest in his country's welfare. He had a sound mind and a retentive memory. His wife, three daughters and two sons survive him.
John Rockwood, of Ringwood, died Dec. 6, 1874. He was eighty-four years of age, and had lived over thirty years on Ringwood Prairie. He was a friend to every good work and every public enterprise. He was an early Abolitionist, and one of the most valiant friends of the temperance cause. He used to canvass for signers to the temperance pledge, going from house to house.
Chas. H. Russell, one of the earliest settlers of the county, died in October, 1874, aged sixty-six years. He was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court in 1860, and served one term to the entire satisfaction of the people. He also held several town offices, and at one time was Cashier of the First National Bank of Woodstock. He was a man of rare business qualifications, of honorable and upright character.
Robert G. Schryver was born in Duanesburg, Schenectady Co., N.Y., Dec. 13, 1816. He came to Illinois and located at Joliet in 1843, removing thence to McHenry County in 1844, after which he was a prominent citizen here until his death, Feb. 7, 1881. He followed the pursuit of builder, and was engaged by the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company to take charge of the work of building and repairing bridges, buildings, etc., on their lines in 1861. He continued to work for that company until the winter of 1865-'6, after which he was employed in the construction of bridges on the Union Pacific Railroad until that road was completed. He was next employed by a firm of bridge builders to superintend the construction of bridges on a railroad from New Orleans to Thibodeaux, La. After the Chicago fire he followed his business for some time in that city, and thenceforth in Woodstock until his death. He died Feb. 7, 1881, leaving a wife, five children, and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.
Eben E. Sherwood, a former business man of Woodstock, died at Sharon, Nov. 15, 1880. He was born in Oxford, N.Y., in 1836, and came to Woodstock in 1847. He was a clerk in A.W. Fuller's store from 1849 to 1856, then went into partnership with Mr. Fuller. For several years prior to his death he was engaged in wool buying for a Chicago firm. He possessed good business qualifications and was popular with all who knew him.
Reuben R. Sherwood was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., August, 1799, and died in McHenry County, Ill. June 20, 1884. He left New York State in 1845, and settled in Algonquin Township, in this county. The village of Algonquin was then small having but few houses. For some years he ran a ferry at that place. Subsequently he bought a farm two miles west of the village, where he resided until 1867. He then moved back to the village. For several years prior to his death he was an invalid. He was a good citizen, of an agreeable social nature, making friends everywhere. He was a life-long Democrat.
Francis Short was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1800, and died in Woodstock, Ill., March 13, 1882. In 1837, in company with relatives and friends, he settled in the Donnelly settlement, McHenry County, where he resided until within a few years previous to his death. He was an industrious and successful farmer, an honest man and a good citizen.
Ira Slocum, Sr., died in Woodstock, Jan. 12, 1867. He was one of the first settlers, and was intimately connected with the growth and prosperity of the town, in the welfare of which he exhibited a hearty interest. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him.
William E. Smith, a prominent and influential citizen of Woodstock, died at his home in that city, June 21, 1881. He was born in Royston, England,. April 17, 1840. His father died in 1842, and his mother was left in adverse circumstances, with two children to care for. She came to America with her boys in 1850, and settled among relatives in Quincy, Ill. Here William worked in a drug store and as a farmer until 1854, when the family moved to Chicago. There he found employment in the office of the Chicago Journal, where he worked until 1858. In that year, with his brother, Abraham E. (afterward of the Rockford Gazette), he purchased the Woodstock Sentinel, and was connected with its management until May, 1862, when he entered the army as Adjutant of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Infantry. In his position he was very popular, and made hosts of friends among the soldiers. While at Jackson, Tenn., he was taken ill with typhoid fever, and for a time his life was in great danger. His vigorous constitution enabled him to rally and join his comrades. His regiment participated in the Vicksburg campaign under General Grant, and at Champion Hills, while bravely urging on his regiment, he received a severe wound in his right thigh. He however, pressed on until the enemy were driven from the field. He came home for his wound to heal, returning again to the front as soon as he was able. As a soldier he was one of the bravest of the brave. The manner in which he received the wound which finally caused his death is thus narrated in an obituary notice from which the facts of this sketch have been gathered: "Some of our readers saw the Adjutant of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth, as, mounted upon his noble horse, he darted across a marsh enfiladed by rebel shot from the fort (Fort Mobile) to carry an order to his commanding officer. The daring rider and his horse were almost across the ravine, and the huzzas of the Union lines were just sounding their gratification at the success of the brave officer, who was waving his hat in triumph, when a cruel bullet struck his thigh and passed clean through his limb." He lay all day in the hot sun before assistance came, and suffered severely in consequence. He was taken to Memphis, and thence to Woodstock, in April, 1865, and finally recovered his health in part. In 1866 he married Ada. F., daughter of Colonel L.S. Church. Subsequently, with his brother, he was connected with the Indianapolis Gazette, Rockford Register, and Rockford Gazette. In 1869, he returned to Woodstock and bought the Sentinel, which he conducted until 1872. He was appointed Postmaster in 1869, and resigned in 1874. His health was constantly growing worse. In 1878 he was appointed State Printer Expert, which office he held until May, 1880. He was a talented man, a gallant soldier and a true gentleman. He stood among the best and worthiest citizens of the county, honored by all who knew him.
George M. Southworth was born in Bradford, Vt., in 1848, and died in Chicago in 1880. He came to Illinois in 1857; in 1866 engaged in the mercantile business at Crystal Lake; came to Woodstock in 1867; served as Deputy Sheriff; from 1868 to 1870 was Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court. He was a special agent of the Postoffice Department from 1870 to 1874 and afterward served in the Fidelity Savings Bank of Chicago. He married Miss Kate Shuman, of Chicago, in 1878. He was a young man of excellent character and had many warm friends.
Henry M. Wait, County Sheriff from 1843 to 1846, was a man whom everybody honored and respected. In every sense of the word he was an honorable and exemplary man. Mr. Wait was born in Alexander, Genesee Co., N.Y., Sept. 11, 1810. He came to Kane County, Ill., in 1836, moved to Crystal Lake in 1840 and to Woodstock in 1844. He was one of the most prominent citizens in the county, active in business, benevolent and public spirited, and his life was pure and blameless. He died suddenly, falling dead in a store. Oct. 31, 1879. He was a man of good judgment and sound sense. His disposition was amiable and charitable. He was prompt to respond to the call of duty, and to give relief to the unfortunate when it was in his power to do so. He was quiet and unostentatious, but he exacted a potent influence in the community. He was a prominent member of the Masonic order, and had many friends and no enemies among any of his acquaintances.
Josiah Walkup, one of the earliest settlers of the county, was born in Greenbrier County, Va., Feb. 22, 1815, and died in Nunda, McHenry Co., Ill., Sept 12, 1876. He passed his early life in Virginia, and there received a limited common-school education. His parents were upright and worthy people, and he was brought up with habits of industry, temperance, and frugality. In 1835 he removed with his parents to McHenry County, where he resided until his death. In 1836 he was converted and thenceforth led a blameless Christian life. In 1840 he married Margaret St. Clair, who survived him. Mr. Walkup was naturally possessed of more than ordinary physical and mental endowments. In business he was faithful and conscientious. For twenty-one years he was railroad agent at Crystal Lake station.
Prescott Whittemore, a pioneer, well remembered for his fondness for story telling, good jokes, and genial good nature. He was born in Harvard, Mass., July 28, 1787; settled near the village of Huntley in 1838; resided there until 1861, then went with his son to Nebraska. He was respected by all. He died in Gage County, Neb., Jan. 13, 1871.
F.O. Whitson, of the firm Whitson & Sons, died Aug. 21, 1878. He was born July 24, 1841; spent his earlier years in Woodstock; enlisted in February, 1862, in Company A, Chicago Light Artillery, under Major C. M. Willard, and served three years in the serious work of campaigning. Later he engaged in the hardward business in Woodstock with his father and brother. He was a good citzen and a successful business man. His death resulted from consumption.
B.F. Wright was born in Hanover, N.H., in 1810; died in Woodstock, Ill., Jan. 25, 1879. He lived in his native town until he attained his majority, then went to Boston, where he married. In 1840 he settled near the present town of Palatine, Ill. In 1844 he purchased a farm near Woodstock and there passed the remainder of his days. His first wife died in 1863, and in the following year he married the lady who survived him. He was a cheerful, good-natured, kind-hearted Christian man, and had many warm friends.