J. H. ANDERSON, of Bloomington, is engaged with
Tillotson & Fell in the abstract and loan business, and possesses a good understanding of business matters
in general. He was born in Greenfield, Highland
Co., Ohio, Nov. 20, 1826, being the son of John and Sarah (Brooks) Anderson, of York County, Pa.
John Anderson was a manufacturer of furniture, and was also an undertaker, besides being engaged in farming pursuits.
He removed from his native State to Ohio in 1820, located in Greenfield,
and remained there until his death in 1866. The mother died in Lawrence, Kan.,
in 1873, at the home of her son, Dr. S. B. Anderson. Both parents were members of the Presbyterian Church for many
years. They had three sons, two now living, our subject and his brother, the latter being a graduate of the Medical College at Cincinnati.
Young Anderson remained with his parents until he was twenty-two years
of age, and then went to Pickaway County,
where he remained three years engaged in farming. From there he went to Frankfort, Ross Co., Ohio, and engaged in general merchandising for two years, and soon afterward entered the Commercial College
of Columbus, Ohio, from which he graduated in 1856. He afterward remained at the college one year, during which
he had charge of its office affairs.
After leaving the college Mr. Anderson engaged in farming in Pickaway County, Ohio,
until September, 1860, when he came to Illinois and engaged in the dry-goods business
at Bloomington, at which he continued three years.
He then purchased a farm of 420 acres in Will County, which he occupied and cultivated for seven years, and then sold eighty acres of it, having now 340
acres. Upon retiring from his farm Mr. Anderson returned to Bloomington,
and engaged in the abstract and loan business on North Main street.
In 1873 he moved into the court-house, where he has been since that time.
In 1851 our subject married Miss Nancy F. Baker, who was born March 5,
1831, and is the daughter of Solomon M. and Elizabeth (Horsey) Baker, natives of
New York and Ohio.
Her father was an extensive farmer and stock-raiser, owning from 6,000 to 8,000 acres of land, and shipping large
numbers of animals to market annually. Six only of their ten children are now living: Nancy F., Mrs. Anderson;
Lizzie, Mrs. J. N. Larimore, of Bloomington; John, of St.
Louis; Minnie. Mrs. Baker, of Bloomington; Florence,
Mrs. J. J. Hiddelston, of Eudora, Kan.; Phillip
F., of North Carolina.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson became the parents of six children -- Sallie B.,
William M., Harry A., Adelbert, Samuel and Florence
M. Politically our subject is Democratic, and with his wife is a member of the Independent Church of Bloomington.
Their handsome and attractive residence is located at the corner of Douglas and McLean streets, and they are held
in high esteem by a large number of friends.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill.
: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county,
together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and
of the presidents of the United States.
(Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 273. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.
©2008 Genealogy Trails