Illinois Genealogy Trails
Bailhache, John, pioneer journalist, was born in the Island of Jersey, May 8, 1787; after gaining the rudiments of a education in his mother tongue (the French), he acquired a knowledge of English and some proficiency in Greek and Latin in an academy near his paternal home, when he spent five years as a printer's apprentice. In 1810 he came to the United States, first locating at Cambridge, Ohio, but, in 1812, purchased a half interest in "The Fredonian" at Chillicothe (then the state capital), soon after becoming sole owner. In 1815 he purchased "The Scioto Gazette" and consolidated the two papers under the name of "The Scioto Gazette and Fredonian Chronicle." Here he remained until 1828, meantime engaging temporarily in the banking business, also serving one term in the Legislature (1820), and been elected Associate Justice of the Court of Common Pleas for Ross County. In 1828 he removed to Columbus, assuming charge of "The Ohio State Journal," served one term as mayor of the city, and for three consecutive years was State Printer. Selling out "The Journal" in 1836, he came last, the next year becoming part owner, and finally sole proprietor, of "The Telegraph" at Alton, IL, which he conducted alone or in association with various partners until 1854, when he retired, giving his attention to the book and job branch of the business. He served as representative for Madison County in the 13th general assembly (1842-44). As a man and a journalist, Judge Bailhache commanded the highest respect, and did much to elevate the standard of journalism in Illinois, "The Telegraph," during the period of his connection with it, being one of the leading papers of the State. His death occurred at Alton, Sept. 3rd, 1857, as a result of injuries received the day previous, by being thrown from a carriage in which he was riding.
Andrew J. BABCOCK
Babcock, Andrew J., soldier, was born at Dorchester, Norfolk County, Mass., July 19th, 1830; began life as a coppersmith at Lowell; in 1851 went to Concorde, New Hampshire, and, in 1856, removed to Springfield IL where, in 1859, he joined a military company called the Springfield Greys, commanded by Capt. (afterwards General) John Cook, of which he was 1st Lieutenant. This company became the nucleus of Co. I, 7th IL volunteers, which enlisted on Mr. Lincoln's first call for troops in April, 1861. Captain Cook having been elected Colonel, Babcock succeeded him as Captain, on the re-enlistment of a regiment in July following becoming Lieutenant-Colonel, and, in March, 1862, being promoted to the Colonelcy "for gallant meritorious service rendered at Fort Donaldson." A year later he was compelled to resign on account of impaired health. His home is at Springfield.
Joseph Mead BAILEY
Bailey, Joseph Mead, legislator and jurist, was born at Middlebury, Wyoming County, New York, June 22nd, 1833, graduated from Rochester (N. Y.) University in 1854, and was admitted to the bar in that city in 1855. In August, 1856, he removed to Freeport, IL, where he soon built up a profitable practice. In 1866 he was elected a representative in the 25th general assembly, being reelected in 1868. Here he was especially prominent in securing restrictive legislation concerning railroads. In 1876 he was chosen a presidential Elector for his district on the Republican ticket. In 1877 he was elected a judge of the 13th judicial district, and reelected in 1879 and in 1885. In January, 1878, and again in June, 1879, he was assigned to the bench of the appellate court, being presiding justice from June, 1879, to June, 1880, and from June, 1881, to June, 1882. In 1879 he received a degree of L. L. D. from the universities of Rochester and Chicago. In 1888 he was elected to the bench of the Supreme Court. Died in office, Oct. 16, 1895.
William Henry BAILHACHE, Major
Bailhache, Major William Henry, son of the preceding, was born at Chillicothe, Ohio, Aug. 14, 1826, removed with his father to Alton, IL, in 1836, was educated at Shurtleff college, and learned the printing trade in the office of "The Telegraph," under the direction of his father, afterwards being associated with the business department. In 1855, in partnership with Edward L. Baker, he became one of the proprietors and business managers of "The State Journal" at Springfield. During the Civil War he received from President Lincoln the appointment of Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, serving to its close and receiving the brevet rank of Major. After the war he returned to journalism and was associated at different times with "The State Journal" and "The Quincy Whig," as business manager of each, but retired in 1873; in 1881 was appointed by President Arthur, Receiver of Public Moneys at Santa Fe, N. M., remaining four years. He is now (1899) a resident of San Diego, California, where he has been engaged in newspaper work, and, under the administration of President McKinley, has been a Special Agent of the Treasury Department.
Preston Heath BAILHACHE
Bailhache, Preston Heath, another son, was born in Columbus Ohio, February 21, 1835, served as a Surgeon during the Civil War, later became a Surgeon and in the regular army and has held positions in marine hospitals at Baltimore, Washington and New York, and has visited Europe in the interest of sanitary and hospital service. At present (1899) he occupies a prominent position at the headquarters of the United State's Marine Hospital Service in Washington.
Arthur Lee BAILHACHE
Bailhache, Arthur Lee, a third son, born at Alton IL, April 12, 1839; at the beginning of the Civil War was employed in the State commissary service at Camp Yates and Cairo, became Adjutant of the 38th IL Volunteers, and died at Pilot Knob, MO., Jan. 9th, 1862, as the results of disease and exposure in the service.
David Jewett BAKER
Baker, David Jewett, lawyer and United States Senator, was born at East Haddam, CT, Sept. 7th, 1792. His family removed to New York in 1800, where he worked on a farm during boyhood, but graduated from Hamilton College in 1816, and three years later was admitted to the bar. In 1819 he came to Illinois and began practice at Kaskaskia, where he attained prominence in his profession and was made Probate Judge of Randolph County. His opposition to the introduction of slavery into the state was so aggressive that his life was frequently threatened. In 1830 Governor Edwards appointed him United States Senator, to fill the unexpired term of Senator McLean, but he served only one month when he was succeeded by John M. Robinson, who was elected by the Legislature. He was United State's District Attorney from 1833 to 1841 (the State then constituting but one district), and thereafter resumed private practice. Died at Alton, Aug. 6, 1869.
Henry Southard BAKER
Baker, Henry Southard, son of the preceding, was born at Kaskaskia, IL, Nov. 10th, 1824, received his preparatory education at Shurtleff college, Upper Alton, and, in 1843, entered Brown University, RI, graduating therefrom in 1847; was admitted to the bar in 1849, beginning practice at Alton, the home of his father, Honorable David J. Baker. In 1854 he was elected as an anti-Nebraska candidate to the lower branch of the 19th General Assembly, and, at the subsequent session of the General Assembly, was one of the five Anti-Nebraska members whose uncompromising Fidelity to honorable Lyman Trumbull resulted in the election of the latter to the United State's Senate for the first time-the others being his colleague, Dr. George T. Allen of the House, and honorable John M. Palmer, afterwards United State's Senator, Burton C. Cook and Norman B. Judd in the Senate. He served as one of the Secretaries of the Republican State Convention held at Bloomington in May, 1856, was a Republican Presidential Elector in 1864, and, in 1865, became Judge of the Alton City Court, serving until 1881. In 1876 he presided over the Republican State Convention, served as delegate to the Republican national convention of the same year and was an unsuccessful candidate for Congress in opposition to William R. Morrison. Judge Baker was the orator selected to deliver the address on occasion of the unveiling of the statue of lieutenant governor Pierre Menard, on the capital grounds at Springfield, in January, 1888. About 1888 he retired from practice, dying at Alton, March 5th, 1897.
Edward L. BAKER
Baker, Edward L., second son of David Jewett Baker, was born at Kaskaskia, IL, June 3rd, 1829; graduated at Shurtleff college in 1847; read law with his father two years, after which he entered Harvard Law School and was admitted to the bar at Springfield in 1855. Previous to this date Mr. Baker had become associated with William H. Bailhache, in the management of "The Alton Daily Telegraph," and, in July, 1855, they purchased "The Illinois State Journal," at Springfield, of which Mr. Baker assume the editorship, remaining until 1874. In 1869 he was appointed United State's Assessor for the eighth district, serving until the abolition of the office. In 1873 he received the appointment from President Grant of Counsul to Buenos Aires, South America, and, assuming the duties of the office in 1874, remained there for 23 years, proving himself one of the most capable and efficient officers in the consular service. On the evening of the 20th of June, 1897, when Mr. Baker was about to enter a railway car already in motion at the station in the city of Buenos Aires, he fell under the cars, receiving injuries which necessitated the amputation of his right arm, finally resulting in his death in the hospital at Buenos Aires, July 8 following. His remains were brought home at the government expense and interred in Oak Ridge Cemetery, at Springfield, where a monument has since been erected in his honor, bearing a tablet contributed by citizens of Buenos Aires and foreign representatives in that city expressive of their respect for his memory.
David Jewett Baker, Jr.
Baker, David Jewett Jr., a third son of David Jewett Baker Sr., was born at Kaskaskia, Nov. 28, 1834; graduated from Shurtleff college in 1854, and was admitted to the bar in 1856. In November of that year he removed to Cairo and began practice. He was Mayor of that city in 1864-65, and, in 1869, was elected to the bench of the 19th judicial circuit. The Legislature of 1873 (by Act of March 28) having divided the state into 26 circuits, he was elected Judge of the twenty-sixth, on June 2nd 1873. In August, 1878, he resigned to accept an appointment on the Supreme Bench as successor to Judge Breese, deceased, but at the close of this term on the Supreme bench (1879), was reelected Circuit Judge, and again in 1885. During this period he served for several years on the Appellate bench. In 1888 he retired from the circuit bench by resignation and was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court for a term of nine years. Again, in 1897, he was a candidate for reelection, but was defeated by Caroll C. Boggs. Soon after retiring from the supreme bench he removed to Chicago and engaged in general practice, in partnership with his son John W. Baker. He fell dead almost instantly in his office, March 13, 1899. In all, Judge Baker had spent some 30 years almost continuously on the bench, and had attained eminent distinction both as a lawyer and as a jurist.
Edward Dickinson BAKER
Baker, Edward Dickinson, soldier and United State's Senator, was born in London England, February 24th, 1811; emigrated to Illinois while yet in his minority, first locating at Belleville, afterwards removing to Carrollton and finally to Sangamon County, the last of which he represented in the lower house of the 10th General Assembly, and as State Senator in the Twelveth and 13th. He was elected to Congress as a Whig from the Springfield district, but resigned in December, 1846 to except the colonelcy of the fourth regiment, Illinois volunteers, in the Mexican war, and succeeded General Shields in command of the Brigade, when the latter was wounded at Cerro Gordo. In 1848 he was elected to Congress from the Galena district; was also identified with the construction of the Panama railroad; went to San Francisco in 1852, but later removed to Oregon, where he was elected to the United States Senate in 1860. In 1861 he resigned this Senatorship to enter the Union Army, commanding a Brigade at the Battle Ball's Bluff, where he was killed, Oct. 21st, 1861.
Baker, Jehu, lawyer and congressmen, was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, Nov. 4th, 1822. At an early age he removed to Illinois, making his home in Belleville, St. Clair County. He received his early education in the common schools and at McKendree college. Although he did not graduate from the latter institution, he received therefrom the honorary degree of A.M. in 1858, and that of L. L. D. in 1882. For a time he studied medicine, but abandoned it for the study of law. From 1861 to 1865 he was Master in Chancery for St. Clair County. From 1865 to 1869 he represented the Belleville district as Republican in Congress. From 1876 to 1881 and from 1882 to 1885 he was. Minister Resident in Venezuela, during the latter portion of this term of service acting also as Council -General. Returning
home, he was again elected to Congress (1886) from the 18th district, but was defeated for reelection, in 1888, by William S. Foreman, Democrat. Again, in 1896, having identified himself with the Free Silver Democracy and People's Party, he was elected to Congress from the 20th district over Everett J. Murphy, the Republican nominee, serving until March 3, 1899. He is the author of an annotated edition of Montesquieu's "Grandeur and Decadence of the Romans"
Baldwin, Elmer, agriculturist and legislator, was born in Litchfield County, CT, March 8, 1806; at 16 years of age began teaching a country school, continuing this occupation for several years during the winter months, while working on his father's farm in the summer. He then started a store at New Milford, which he managed for three years, when he sold out on account of his health and began farming. In 1833 he came west and purchased a considerable tract of government land in La Salle County, where the village of Farm Ridge is now situated, removing thither with his family of the following year. He served as justice of the peace for 14 consecutive terms, as Post Master 20 years and as a member of the Board of Supervisors of La Salle County six years. In 1856 he was elected as Republican to the House of Representatives, was reelected to the same office in 1866, and to the state Senate in 1872, serving two years. He was also appointed, in 1869 a member of the first Board of Public Charities, serving as President of the Board. Mr. Baldwin is author of "History of La Salle County" which contains much local and biographical history. Died, Nov. 18, 1895.
Baldwin, Theron, clergyman and educator, was born in Goshen, CT, July 21, 1801; graduated at Yale college in 1827; after two years study in the theological school there, was ordained a home missionary in 1829, becoming one of the celebrated "Yale College Band," or "Western College Society," of which he was corresponding secretary most of his life. He was settled as a Congregationalist Minister at Vandalia for two years, and was active in procuring the charter of Illinois College at Jacksonville, of which he was a Trustee from its organization to his death. He served for a number of years, from 1831, as Agent of the Home Missionary Society for Illinois, and, in 1838, became the first Principal of Monticello Female Seminary, near Alton, which he conducted five years. Died at Orange, N. J., April 10, 1870.
Ballard, Addison, merchant, was born of Quaker parentage in Warren County, Ohio, November, 1822. He located at LaPorte, Indiana, about 1841, where he learned and pursued the carpenters trade; in 1849 went to California, remaining two years, when he returned to LaPorte; in 1853 removed to Chicago and embarked in the lumber trade, which he prosecuted until 1887, retiring with a competency. Mr. Ballard served several years as one of the commissioners of Cook County, and, for 1876 to 1882, as Alderman of the City of Chicago, and again in the latter office, 1894-96.
Peter Joseph BALTES
Baltes, Peter Joseph, Roman Catholic Bishop of Alton, was born at Ensheim, Rhenish Bavaria, April 7, 1827; was educated at the colleges of Holy Cross, at Worcester, Mass. and of St. Ignatius, at Chicago, and at Lavalle University, Montreal, and was ordained a priest in 1853, and consecrated Bishop in 1870. His diocesan administration was successful, but regarded by his priests as somewhat arbitrary. He wrote numerous pastoral letters and brochures for the guidance of clergy in laity. His most important literary work was entitled "Pastoral Instruction," first edition, N. Y., 1875; second edition (revised and enlarged), 1880. Died at Alton, February 15, 1886.
Bangs, Mark, lawyer, was born in Franklin County, Mass., Jan. 9, 1822; spent his boyhood on a farm in Western New York, and, after a year in an institution at Rochester, came to Chicago in 1844, later spending two years in farm work and teaching in central Illinois. Returning east in 1847, he engaged in teaching for two years at Springfield, Mass., then spent a year in a dry goods store at Lacon, IL, meanwhile prosecuting his legal studies. In 1851 he began practice, was elected a judge of the circuit court in 1859; served one session as state Senator (1870 -- 72); in 1873 was appointed circuit Judge to fill the unexpired term of Judge Richmond, deceased, and, in 1875, was appointed by President Grant United States District Attorney for the Northern District, remaining in office four years. Judge Bangs was also a member of the first anti-Nebraska State Convention of IL, held at Springfield in 1854; in 1862 presided over the congressional convention which nominated Owen Lovejoy for Congress for the first time; was one of the charter members of "Union and League of America," serving as its President, and, in 1868, was a delegate to the National Convention which nominated General Grant for President for the first time. After retiring from the office of district attorney in 1879, he removed to Chicago, where he is still (1898) engaged in the practice of his profession.
Bankson, Andrew, pioneer and early legislator, a native of Tennessee, settled on Silver Creek, in St. Clair County, IL, four miles south of Lebanon, about 1808 or 1810, and subsequently removed to Washington County. He was a colonel of "Rangers" during the war of 1812, and a captain in the Black Hawk War of 1832. In 1822 he was elected to the State Senate from Washington County, serving four years, and at the session of 1822-23 was one of those who voted against the convention resolution which had made its object to make Illinois a slave state. He subsequently removed to Iowa territory, but died, in 1853, while visiting a son-in-law in Wisconsin.
Barber, Hiram, was born in Warren County, N. Y., March 24, 1835. At 11 years of age he accompanied his family to Wisconsin, of which state he was a resident until 1866. After graduating at the State University of Wisconsin at Madison, he studied law at the Albany law school, and was admitted to practice. After serving one term of district attorney of his county in Wisconsin (1861-62), and Assistant Attorney General for 1865-66, in the latter year he came Chicago and, in 1878, was elected to Congress by the Republicans of the Old Second Illinois district. His home is in Chicago,
where he holds the position of Master in Chancery of the Superior Court of Cook County.
George Frederick Julius BARNSBACK
Barnsback, George Frederick Julius, pioneer, was born in Germany, July 25, 1781; came to Philadelphia and 1797, and soon after too Kentucky, where he became an overseer; two or three years later visited his native country, suffering ship wreck en route in the English Channel; returned to Kentucky in 1802, remaining until 1809, when he removed to what is now Madison (then a part of St. Clair) County, IL; served in the War of 1812, farmed and raise stock until 1824, when, after a second visit to Germany, he bought the plantation in St. Francois County, MO. Subsequently becoming disgusted with slavery, he manumitted his slaves and returned to Illinois, locating on a farm near Edwardsville, where he resided until his death in 1869. Mr. Barnesback served as representative in the 14th General Assembly (1844-46) and, after returning from Springfield, distributed his salary among the poor of Madison County.
Julius A. BARNSBACK
Barnsback, Julius A., his son, was born in St. Francois County, MO., May 14, 1826; in 1846 became a merchant at Troy, Madison County; was elected sheriff in 1860; in 1864 entered the service as Captain of a company in the 140th IL volunteers (100 days' men); also served as a member of the 24th General Assembly (1865).
William H. BARNUM
Barnum, William H., lawyer and ex-judge, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., February 13, 1840. When he was but two years of age his family removed to St. Clair County, IL, where he passed his boyhood and youth. His preliminary education was obtained at Bellevue, IL, Ypsilanti, Michigan, and at the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor. After leaving the institution last named at the end of the sophomore year, he taught school at Belleville, still pursuing his classical studies. In 1862 he was admitted to the bar at Belleville, and soon afterward opened an office at Chester, where for a time, he held the office of Master in Chancery. He removed to Chicago in 1867, and, in 1879, was elevated to the bench of the Cook County Circuit Court. At the expiration of this term he resumed private practice.
Barrere, Granville, was born in Highland County, Ohio. After attending the common schools, he acquired a higher education at Augusta, Kentucky, and Marietta, Ohio. He was admitted to the bar in his native state, but began the practice of law in Fulton County, IL, in 1856. In 1872 he received the Republican nomination for Congress and was elected, representing his district from 1873 to 1875, at conclusion of this term retiring to private life. Died at Canton, IL, Jan. 13, 1889.
John Henry BARROWS
Barrows, John Henry, D. D., clergyman and educator, was born at Medina, Michigan, July 11, 1847; graduated at Mount Olivet college in 1867, and studied theology at Yale, Union and Andover seminaries. In 1869 he went to Kansas, where he spent 2 1/2 years in missionary and educational work. He then (in 1872) accepted a call to the First Congregational Church at Springfield, IL, where he remained a year, after which he gave a year to foreign travel, visiting Europe, Egypt and Palestine, during a part of the time supplying the American Chapel in Paris. On his return to United States
he spent six years in pastoral work at Lawrence and East Boston, Mass. when (in November, 1881) he assumed the pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church of Chicago. Dr. Barrows achieved a world-wide celebrity by his services as Chairman of the "Parliament of Religions," a branch of the "World's Congress Auxiliary," held during the World' s Colombian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
Later, he was appointed Professorial Lecturer on Comparative Religions, under lecturerships in connection with the University of Chicago endowed by Mrs. Caroline E. Haskell. One of these, established in Dr. Barrows' name, contemplated a series of lectures in India, to be delivered on alternate years with a similar course at the University. Courses were delivered at the University in 1895-96, and, in order to carry out the purposes of the foreign lecturership, Dr. Barrows found it necessary to resign his pastorate, which he did in the spring of 1896. After spending the summer in Germany, the regular itinerary of the round-the-world tour began at London in the latter part of November, 1896, ending with his return to the United States by way of San Francisco in May, 1897. Dr. Barrows was accompanied by a party of personal friends from Chicago and elsewhere, the tour embracing visits to the principal cities of Southern Europe, Egypt, Palestine, China and Japan, with a somewhat protracted stay in India during the winter of 1896-97. After his return to the United States he lectured at the University of Chicago and in many other principal cities of the country, on the moral and religious condition of Oriental nations, but, in 1898, was offered the Presidency of Oberlin College, Ohio, which he accepted, entering upon his duties early in 1899.
Adolphus Clay BARTLETT
Bartlett, Adolphus Clay, merchant, was born of Revolutionary ancestry at Stratford, Fulton County, New York, June 22nd, 1844; was educated in the common schools and at Danville Academy and Clinton Liberal Institute, New York, and, coming to Chicago in 1863, entered into the employment of the hardware firm of Tuttle, Hibbard & Co., now Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., of which, a few years later, he became a partner, and later Vice President of the company. Mr. Bartlett has also been a trustee of the Beloit college, President of the Chicago Home for the Friendless and a Director of the
Chicago and Alton Railroad and the Metropolitan National Bank, besides being identified with various other business and benevolent associations.
Rev. Flavel BASCOM
Bascom, (Rev..) Flavel, D.. D., clergyman, was born at Lebanon, Connecticut, June 8, 1804; spent his boyhood on a farm until 17 years of age, meanwhile attending the common schools; prepared for college under a private tutor, and, in 1824, entered Yale College, graduating in 1828. After a year as Principal of the Academy at New Canaan, Connecticut, he entered upon the study of theology at Yale, was licensed to preach in 1831 and, for the next two years, served as a tutor in the literary department of the college. Then coming to Illinois (1833), he cast his lot with the "Yale Band," organized at
Yale College a few years previous; spent five years in missionary work in Tazewell County and two years in Northern Illinois as Agent of the Home Missionary Society, exploring new settlements, founding churches and introducing missionaries to new fields of labor. In 1839 he became pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, remaining until 1849, when he assumed the pastor ship of the First Presbyterian Church at Galesburg, this relation continuing until 1856. Then, after years service as the Agent of the American Missionary Association of the Congregational church, he accepted a call to the Congregational Church at Princeton, where he remained until 1869, when he took charge of the Congregational Church at Hinsdale. From 1878 he served for a considerable period as a member of the Executive Committee of the Illinois Home Missionary society; was also prominent and educational work, being one of the founders and, for over 25 years, an officer of the Chicago Theological Seminary, a Trustee of Knox College and one of the founders and a trustee of Beloit College, Wisconsin, from which he received a degree of D. D. in 1869. Dr. Bascom died at Princeton IL, Aug. 8, 1890.
Bateman, Newton, A.M., L. L. D., educator and editor-in-chief of the "Historical Encyclopedia of IL", was born at Fairfield, New Jersey, July 27, 1822, of mixed English and Scotch ancestry; was brought by his parents to Illinois in 1833; in youth enjoyed only limited educational advantages, but graduated from Illinois College at Jacksonville in 1843, supporting himself during his college course wholly by his own labor. Having contemplated entering the Christian ministry, he spent the following year at Lane Theological Seminary, but was compelled to withdraw on account of failing health, when he gave a year to travel. He then entered upon his life work as a teacher by engaging as Principal of an English and classical school in St. Louis, remaining there two years, when he accepted that Professorship of Mathematics in St. Charles College, at St. Charles, Mo, continuing in that position four years (1847-51). Returning to Jacksonville, IL, in the latter year, he assumed the principalship of the main public school of that city. Here he remained seven years, during four of them discharging the duties of County Superintendent of Schools for Morgan County. In the fall of 1857 he became principal of Jacksonville Female Academy, but the following year was elected State Superintendent of Public Instruction, having been nominated for the office by the Republican State Convention of 1858, which put Abraham Lincoln in nomination for United States Senate. By successive reelections he continued in this office 14 years, serving continuously from 1859 to 1875, except two years (1863-65), as a result of his defeat for reelection in 1862. He was also endorsed for the same office by the State Teachers' Association in 1856, but was not formally nominated by a State convention. During his incumbency the Illinois common schools system was developed and brought to the state of efficiency which it has so well maintained. He also prepared some seven volumes of biennial reports, portions of which have been re-published in five different languages of Europe, besides a volume of "Common School Decisions," originally published by authority of the General Assembly, and of which several editions have since been issued. This volume has been recognized by the courts, and still regarded as authoritative on the subjects to which it relates. In addition to his official duties during a part of this period, for three years he served as editor of "The Illinois Teacher," and was one of the committee of three which prepared the bill adopted by Congress creating the National Bureau of Education. Occupying a room in the old State Capital at Springfield adjoining that used as an office by Abraham Lincoln during the first candidacy of the latter for the Presidency, in 1860, a close intimacy sprang up between the two men, which enabled the "School master," as Mr. Lincoln playfully called the doctor, to acquire an insight into the character of the future emancipator of a race, enjoyed by few man of that time, and of which he gave evidence by his lectures full of interesting reminiscence and eloquent appreciation of the high character of the "Martyr President." A few months after his retirement from the State Superintendency (1875), Dr. Bateman was offered an accepted the Presidency of Knox College at Galesburg, remaining until 1893, when he voluntarily tendered his resignation. This, after having been repeatedly urged upon the board, was finally accepted; but that body immediately, and by unanimous vote, appointed him President Emeritus and Professor of Mental and Moral Science, under which he continued to discharges duties as a special lecturer as his health enabled him to do so. During his incumbency as President of Knox College, he twice received a tender of the Presidency of
Iowa State University and the Chancellorship of two other important state institutions. He also served, by appointment of successive governors between 1877 in 1891, as a member of the state board of health, for four years of this period being President of the Board. In February, 1878, Dr. Bateman, unexpectedly and without solicitation on his part, received from President Hayes an appointment as "Assay Commissioner" to examine and test the fineness and weight of United States coins, in accordance with the provisions of the act of Congress of June 22nd, 1874, and discharged the duties assigned at the mint in Philadelphia. Never of a very strong physique, which was rather weakened by his privations while a student and his many years of close confinement to mental labor, towards the close of his life Dr. Bateman suffered much from a chest trouble which finally developed into "angina pectoris," or heart disease, from which, as a result of the most painful attack, he died at his home in Galesburg, Oct. 21, 1897. The event produced the most profound sorrow, not only among his associates in the faculty and among the students of Knox College, but a large number of friends throughout the state, who had known him officially or personally, and had learned to admire his many noble and beautiful traits of character. His funeral, which occurred in Galesburg on Oct. 25, called out an immense concourse of sorrowing friends. Almost the last labors performed by Dr. Bateman were in the revision of matter for this volume, in which he manifested deepest interest from the time of his assumption of the duties of its editor-in-chief. At the time of his death he had the satisfaction of knowing that his work in this field was practically complete. Dr. Bateman had been twice married, first in 1858 to Miss Sarah Dayton of Jacksonville, who died in 1857, and a second time in October, 1859, to Miss Annie N. Tyler, of Massachusetts (but for sometime a teacher in Jacksonville Female Academy), who died, May 28, 1878.
Clifford Rush BATEMAN
Bateman, Clifford Rush, a son of Dr. Bateman by his first marriage, was born at Jacksonville, March 7, 1854, graduated at Amherst College and later from the law department of Columbia College, New York, afterwards prosecuting his studies at Berlin, Heidelberg and Paris, finally becoming Professor of Administrative Law and Government in Columbia College -- a position especially created for him. He had filled this position a little over one year when his career -- which was one of great promise -- was cut short by death, February 6, 1883. Three daughters of Dr. Bateman survive -- all the wives of clergyman.
Clara Doty BATES
Bates, Clara Doty, author, was born at Ann Arbor, Michigan, December 22, 1838; published her first book in 1868; the next year married Morgan Bates, a Chicago publisher; wrote much for juvenile periodicals, besides stories and poems, some most popular among the latter being "Blind Jakey" (1868) and "Aesop's Tables" in verse (1873). She was the collector of a model library for children, for the World's Colombian Exposition, 1893. Died in Chicago, Oct. 14, 1895.
Erastus Newton BATES
Bates, Erastus Newton, soldier and State Treasurer, was born at Plainfield, Massachusetts, February 29, 1828, being descended from pilgrims of the Mayflower. When eight years of age he was brought by his father to Ohio, where the latter soon afterward died. For several years he lived with an uncle, preparing himself for college and earning money by teaching and manual labor. He graduated from Williams College, Massachusetts, in 1853, and commenced the study of law in New York City, but later removed to Minnesota, where he served as a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1856 and was elected to the State Senate in 1857. In 1859 he removed to Centralia, Illinois, and commenced practice there in August, 1862; was commissioned Major of the 80th Illinois Volunteers, being successively promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and Colonel, and finally brevetted Brigadier-General. For 15 months he was a prisoner of war, escaping from Libby Prison only to be recaptured and later exposed to the fire of the Union batteries at Morris Island, Charleston Harbor. In 1866 he was elected to the Legislature, and, in 1868, State Treasurer, being re-elected to the latter
office under the new constitution of 1870, and serving until January, 1873. Died at Minneapolis, MN, May 29, 1898 and was buried at Springfield.
George C. BATES
Bates, George C., lawyer and politician, was born in Canandaigua, NY, and removed to Michigan in 1834; in 1849 was appointed United State's District Attorney for that state, but removed to California in 1850, where he became a member of the celebrated "Vigilance Committee" at San Francisco, and, in 1856, delivered the first Republican speech there. From 1861 to 1871, he practiced law in Chicago; the latter year was appointed District Attorney for Utah, serving two years, in 1878 removing to Denver Colorado, where he died, February 11, 1886. Mr. Bates was an orator of much reputation, and was selected to express the thanks of the citizens of Chicago to General B. J. Sweet, commandant of Camp Douglas, after the detection and defeat of the Camp Douglas conspiracy in November, 1864 -- a duty which he performed in an address of great eloquence. At an early day he married the widow of Dr. Alexander Wolcott, for a number of years previous to 1838 Indian Agent at Chicago, his wife being a daughter of John Kinzie, the first white settler of Chicago.
JOHN A. RAWLINS
JOHN A. RAWLINS, who rose to the rank of brevet major general in the Union army and subsequently became secretary of war in the cabinet of his friend and former neighbor at Galena, President Grant, was born at East Galena, Illinois, February 3, 1831. His early life was without advantages except as his labor and ambition gained them. He was admitted to the bar and practiced law from 1855 to 1861 at Galena. A Democrat, his name was on the Douglas ticket for presidential elector in 1860. Immediately after the firing on Fort Sumter in April, 1861, John A. Rawlins and U. S. Grant became the recognized leaders in the community in the work of recruiting and organizing volunteers, and this was the beginning of a close friendship between these two men. Mr. Rawlins entered the service as major of the Forty-fifth Illinois, subsequently resigned to accept the grade of captain and the post of chief staff officer under Grant when the latter became brigadier-general, and from that time remained with the great Union commander as adjutant and chief-of-staff, being promoted to the rank of brigadier-general March 3, 1865, and brevet major general of volunteers February 4, 1865, and brevet major general United States Army March 13, 1865. On entering the army, General Rawlins knew absolutely nothing of military science or affairs, but his native abilities, and his unconquerable determination, enabled him to overcome all deficiencies, and he speedily acquired a technical knowledge which served him in every emergency. He was a man of austere habits, and strictest morality. He was absolutely devoid of personal ambition; his only consideration was the great cause at stake, the vindication of the national authority, and the conservation of the strength and abilities of the great commander to whom that cause was committed.
When General Grant came to the presidency in 1869, he called to his cabinet as secretary of war, General Rawlins, who accepted, but with unfeigned reluctance. He was in failing health, a victim of consumption, a malady due to exposure in more than three years of active field campaigning. Despite this serious handicap, he entered upon the duties of a most exacting position at a most exacting time, a period of reaction from war conditions, and acquitted himself with great ability, bringing the army to a higher condition of efficiency, and effecting a vast reduction of expenditures. But his time was all too short, and his death occurred on September 9th of the same year (1869) in which he came to his last post of usefulness and honor in his country's service.
LEVI COMPTON, a native of Virginia, was perhaps the first permanent settler in Wabash County. He had been a large slave owner in Kentucky, but was an anti-slavery supporter. He built a fort in 1804 called Compton's Fort. He was chosen county treasurer for the term 1815-1819, and was looked upon as an important man in his day.
JUDGE DAVID DAVIS was one of the most eminent jurists and statesmen of Illinois, one of the most distinguished in that group of men who were contemporaries and associates of the life and times of Abraham Lincoln. David Davis was born at the Rounds, Sassafras Neck, Cecil County, Maryland, March 9, 1815, son of David Davis, a physician of Cecil County, and grandson of Naylor Davis, of Prince George County.
He attended the schools of his native county and Kenyon College, from which he graduated in 1832. He then studied law at Lenox, Massachusetts, and at New Haven, Connecticut, and was admitted to practice in 1835. He located in Pekin, Illinois, but removed in 1836 to Bloomington, Illinois. In 1844 he was elected to the Legislature of Illinois as a Henry Clay Whig, and in 1847 was a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention. Upon the adoption of the new constitution in 1848 he was elected judge of the Eighth Judicial District of Illinois, without opposition, and at a time when the circuit was strongly Democratic; and was reelected in 1855. He gained the friendship of Abraham Lincoln, and for years they together rode the circuit, which extended over fourteen counties. He supported Mr. Lincoln in his canvass against Judge Douglas for United States senator in 1858, and in 1860 was sent by the Republican State Convention to Chicago as a delegate-at-large to the National Convention, where his leadership brought about the nomination of Abraham Lincoln. After the election Judge Davis was chief councillor of the President, and accompanied him to Washington in February, 1861. After the inauguration he returned to his duties on the circuit, and used his efforts toward a peaceful adjustment of the questions at issue between the states. He was reelected a second time judge of the Eighth Circuit in 1861. President Lincoln appointed him, with Hugh Campbell of St. Louis, and Joseph Holt, former secretary of war in Buchanan's cabinet, as a committee to adjust the war claims against the Department of Missouri, and to investigate the conduct of General Fremont in the administration of the affairs of the department. In 1862 Abraham Lincoln appointed Judge Davis a visitor to the United States Military Academy, and the same year to the seat on the bench of the United States Supreme Court made vacant by the death of Mr. Justice McLean. He administered the estate of Abraham Lincoln in 1865. In 1870 he signed the minority report of the Supreme Court, giving as his opinion that the Act of Congress making government notes a legal tender for the payment of debts was unconstitutional. At this time the exparte Mulligan case, one of the most important cases of the period and one ex citing wide public interest, was assigned to him. It involved the question of individual liberty and the power of the government in the times of war. The leading thoughts of Justice Davis's decision are: "The Constitution of the United States is a law for rulers and people in war and in peace, and covers with the shield of its protection all classes of men, at all times and under all circumstances. The government, within the Constitution, has all the powers granted to it which are necessary to preserve its existence, as has been happily proved by the result of the great effort to overthrow it." In 1872 he accepted the nomination of the Labor Reform party as its candidate for President, and his name was also presented at the Liberal Republican National Convention at Cincinnati, where he received ninety-two and a half votes on the first ballot. On the nomination of Mr. Greeley, however, he withdrew from the field as the candidate of the Labor Reform party. It was in first accepting the nomination that Justice Davis made use of the oft-quoted expression: "The chief magistracy of the republic should neither be sought nor declined by any American citizen." In 1876 the independents of the Illinois Legislature united with the Democrats and elected Justice Davis to the United States Senate. He resigned his seat on the bench of the United States Supreme Court and took his seat in the Senate March 4, 1877. He served on the committee of the judiciary, and in 1881, on the reorganization of the Senate, under the ad ministration of President Garfield, he declined the chairmanship of the judiciary committee. Upon the accession of Vice President Arthur to the presidency Senator Davis was elected president of the Senate at the convening of the Forty-seventh Congress, December 5, 1881, and accepted the position with the frank statement that "if the last party obligation had been made a condition directly or indirectly I would have declined the compliment." He re signed from the Senate in 1883 and retired to his farm near Bloomington, Illinois.
Judge Davis died at Bloomington, June 26, 1886. He married, October 30, 1838, Sarah W. Walker, daughter of Judge William Perrin Walker, of Lenox, Massachusetts. Mrs. Davis died November 9, 1879. In 1883 Judge Davis married Adeline E. Burr. By the first marriage there were two children, George Perrin and Mrs. Sarah D. Swayne. George Perrin Davis graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 1867 and became a lawyer at Bloomington. A grandson and namesake of Judge Davis is a resident of Bloomington.
NINIAN EDWARDS was the territorial governor of Illinois Territory from 1809 to 1818. He was a Marylander, born in 1775. He received a college education. He moved to Kentucky, where he entered upon the study of law. He became chief justice of the Court of Appeal, which position he resigned in 1809 to accept the governorship of the Illinois Territory. He took an active part in providing defenses for the people of the territory in the War of 1812. He organized the militia, built forts and blockhouses, and worked admirably with the United States Government in protecting the people from the attacks of the savage red man. He was active in carrying on the work of admitting the Territory of Illinois into the Union as a state. He was one of the new state's first United States senators, serving six years in that capacity. In 1826 he was elected the third governor of Illinois. His controversy with William Craw ford, the secretary of the United States Treasury, and his persistent efforts for four years to bring about an honest management of the State Bank, brought him into very great prominence. He died in 1833. His son, Ninian Wirt Edwards, married Elizabeth P. Todd, a sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln.
ZADOC CASEY'S father was an Irish emigrant before the Revolutionary war. He came to North Carolina and fought under Marion and Sumter in the conflict in the Southern States. Zadoc was born in 1796, married in 1815, came to Illinois in 1817, and settled at Mount Vernon in Jefferson County in that year. He is credited with the founding of that thriving city. He was the ancestor of a large number of people. He held many public offices and was highly esteemed by the people. He favored slavery. He was elected lieutenant-governor, in 1830, when John Reynolds came into office as governor. He was later elected to Congress and secured the gift of land to construct the Illinois and Michigan Canal, and also helped to secure the grant to build the Illinois Central Railroad. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1847. He was considered a public-spirited citizen and a man of considerable wealth for those days.
LIEUTENANT BOISBRIANT, the first military commandant of the Illinois country, arrived at Kaskaskia in the summer of 1718. He had charge of a company of French soldiers. He proceeded up the Mississippi and built Fort Chartres some four miles northwest of Prairie du Rocher. The fort was a wooden structure and stood till 1755. Lieutenant Boisbriant made the first grant of land to be held in "fee simple" that was made in Illinois. This was a grant about three miles wide and extending back into the country a distance of six miles, and made to Phillipe Francois de Renault. Boisbriant was made acting governor of Louisiana in 1725. He left Fort Chartres in charge of Captain de Liette and took up the duties of his new post at New Orleans.
WILLIAM MORRISON belonged to a very notable family in early Illinois history. He came from Pennsylvania in 1790, where he was born in Bucks County prior to the Revolutionary war. He is said to have had a limited education, but to have had a wide experience in the practical affairs of life. He was dignified and cultured beyond the average successful business man of his day. He was a man of commendable ambition and of wonderful foresight. He came to Illinois, and as one of the firm of Bryant & Morrison of Philadelphia established a branch office and store in Kaskaskia, and from this place carried on extensive commercial transactions as far away as Prairie du Chien, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and even as far west as the Rocky Mountains. Before 1800 he was encouraging the farmers to raise wheat, which he bought at good prices. He built and lived in an elegant stone mansion in Kaskaskia. In the War of 1812 he had Government contracts for the furnishing of rations for the troops, and from these contracts he seems to have cleared large sums of money. He was very much given to public enterprise and was largely responsible for the building of two bridges across the Kaskaskia, one at Kaskaskia and one at Covington, Washington County. Mr. Morrison was a man of great energy and was always concerned in community welfare. He died in 1837. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
ADOLPHUS F. HUBBARD
ADOLPHUS FREDERICK HUBBARD was an early corner to Shawneetown. He was a lawyer, pro-slavery advocate, member of the General Assembly, and was chosen lieutenant-governor for the term 1822-1826. In 1826 he was a candidate for governor. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
DANIEL P. COOK
DANIEL POPE COOK was another brilliant young man whose race was short. He hailed from Kentucky. He came to Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, in 1811, where he worked as a clerk in a store. He was poor, without friends, and contending with the incipient ravages of a dreaded disease. He left Sainte Genevieve for Kaskaskia, where he studied law under Judge Nathaniel Pope. He passed his bar examination in 1815 at the age of twenty-two years. His health began to fail as a result of great mental strain and he travelled in warm countries for his health. He was a special messenger from President Monroe to John Quincy Adams, United States minister at the Court of Saint James. On his return he was appointed to a judgeship in the western part of Illinois. He was the state's first attorney-general and labored to prevent Illinois from becoming a slave state. In 1820 he was elected to the United States Senate over John Mc Lean, of Shawneetown. "His career in Illinois was brief, but elevated and conspicuous." ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOSIAH LAMBORN moved to and became a member of the bar of Jacksonville about the year 1835, from the state of Kentucky. He was the most noted criminal lawyer of his day at that bar; was a very forcible advocate, rich in resources, a lawyer by nature, not by learning, and legal genius. His general success as a lawyer was not so marked as it might have been. He was a little convivial in his nature, as were some of his associates. He died in the year 1847 and was buried in the cemetery at Whitehall.
Linder says of him: "Intellectually, I know no man of his day who was his superior. He was considered by all the lawyers who knew him as a man of the tersest logic. He could see the point in a case as clear as any man I ever knew, and could elucidate it as ably, never using a word too much or one too few. He was exceedingly happy in his conceptions, and always traveled the shortest route to reach his conclusions. He was a terror to his legal opponents, especially to those diffusive, wordy lawyers who had more words than arguments. I heard Judge Smith, of the supreme court, say that he knew of no lawyer who was his equal in strength and force of argument." ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
SAMUEL L. VICKERS
SAMUEL L. VICKERS, mayor of the City of Stockton, is a veteran railroad man, and has been with the Chicago Great Western Railroad as telegraph operator and station agent since early manhood.
Mr. Vickers was born in Lafayette County, Wisconsin, October 27, 1868, son of Christopher and Rebecca (Watson) Vickers. Christopher Vickers was born in England. He was eight years old when his parents came to America and settled in Southwestern Wisconsin. Christopher Vickers for many years was a merchant at Blanchardville, Wisconsin, and he was also active and prominent in politics, was at one time sheriff of LaFayette County and held other public offices at Darlington, that state. He died in 1924. Samuel L. Viekers was educated in the public schools of Wisconsin and at the age of nineteen qualified himself for railroad work, having trained himself as a telegraph operator. Mr. Vickers has been in the service of the Chicago Great Western Railway for thirty- one years and since 1918 has been agent for that company at Stockton.
This business position has really represented an important public service, but he has also taken an active part in civic affairs. He was elected mayor of Stockton in 1929 and was given reelection in 1931. Mr. Vickers is a Republican. He is secretary and treasurer of the Stockton Chamber of Commerce, is a member of the Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter and Council in Masonry at Stockton, the Scottish Rite Consistory and Shrine at Freeport, the Modern Woodmen of America, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Stockton Golf Club and the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He married, October 28, 1893, Miss Nellie G. Baker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. M. Baker, of Blanchardville, Wisconsin. They have three children, Palmer Monroe, Kenneth LeRoy and Austin L. Palmer Monroe married Miss Irma Gehrig, of Dyersville, Iowa, where Mr. Palmer Vickers is in the electrical business. Kenneth LeRoy, a World war veteran, is chief clerk to the trainmaster at Stockton. He married Miss Beryl Gates, of Stockton. Austin L. is manager of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company at Mount Carroll, Illinois. He married Miss Leona Hartsough, of Stockton.
HON. ARCHIE G. KENNEDY
For many years an honored member of the bench and bar of DeKalb County, Judge Archie G. Kennedy has been engaged in the practice of his profession continuously at DeKalb since 1894. During this long period he has been identified with much of the important litigation that has come before the courts, and it has been his fortune to win success and position with honor and without animosity.
Judge Kennedy was born August 24, 1866, in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Rev. David S. and Nancy W. (Kelly) Kennedy, and a grandson of natives of Ohio who spent their lives as farming people in the Buckeye State. Rev. David S. Kennedy was born in Ohio, where he was reared in Mahoning County, and was given good educational advantages, graduating from Westminster College, Wilmington, Pennsylvania, where he met his future wife, a native of Indiana County, Pennsylvania, and a graduate of the same institution. Reverend Kennedy was for many years a preacher of the United Presbyterian faith and during the war between the states went to the front with the Union army and engaged in religious work with the fighting forces. In 1878 he came to Illinois and settled in Somonauk Township, DeKalb County, where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer and minister. Mrs. Ken nedy, who is also deceased, was a daughter of John Kelly, a native of Pennsylvania, who passed his entire life in farming in that state. They were the parents of five Sons and five daughters, of whom three sons and three daughters survive. Reverend Kennedy was a Republican in politics, but took only a good citizen's part in public affairs. He passed away in May, 1898, and Mrs. Kennedy in January, 1921.
The fifth in order of birth of his parents' children, Archie G. Kennedy attended public schools in Pennsylvania and Illinois, including the high school at Sandwich and the State Normal University at Normal, Illinois. Subsequently he pursued a course at Monmouth (Illinois) College and then began to read law under the preceptorship of Judge Carens, at DeKalb, was admitted to the bar and in the same year commenced practice at DeKalb, which town has since been his home and the scene of his professional success, he having attracted to himself a large and representative clientage. After admission he continued his legal studies in the Chicago Law School and graduated as a member of the class of 1899. A Republican in his political attachment, Judge Kennedy served as city attorney of DeKalb and as state's attorney for DeKalb County from 1900 until 1904. Under appointment of Governor Deneen he served as judge of the Court of Claims, and for ten or twelve years was president of the high school board. He belongs to the DeKalb County Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the American Bar Association, and at this time devotes himself to his practice. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Chamber of Commerce, and has always been a constructive supporter of movements for the benefit of the community and its people.
On January 16, 1899, Judge Kennedy was united in marriage with Miss Katherine Fuller, who was born in DeKalb County, Illinois, a daughter of William Fuller, who was for years a prominent farmer of this locality, but is now deceased. No children have been born to this union. By a former marriage, to Bert Lindsey, Mrs. Kennedy has one daughter, who married J. B. Abernathy and has one son and two daughters: Elizabeth Kennedy and Jenet. Mr. and Mrs. Abernathy now make their home at Springfield, Vermont, where Mr. Abernathy is successfully engaged in the drug business and is also active in Republican politics. Prior to her marriage Mrs. Abernathy made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy, by whom she was most carefully reared and educated.
REV. LEO P. HENKEL
REV. LEO PETER HENKEL since 1921 has been pastor of Saint Mary's Catholic Church at Lincoln. This is one of the older Catholic churches in Central Illinois and the history of the parish runs back prior to the Civil war.
The Catholic families of Lincoln were occasionally visited by priests from the Chicago diocese. As a result of the efforts of Father Hurley a small frame church was built in 1857. The first resident pastor, Father Thomas Meagher, had charge until 1860, when he was succeeded by a Franciscan, Father G. A. Martin, a priest also widely known for his medical skill. The next priest was Father Edward Herman, who came in 1865 and served until the fall of 1867. At that time the congregation had grown to a size where it was deemed advisable to divide the parish into two distinct parishes, one for Ger man speaking and the other for English speaking members. Since then the other parish has been known as St. Patrick's. The interest of the latter in the parish property was acquired by the former, under the title of the Church of the Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, though the church has always been popularly known as Saint Mary's.
The official division went into effect November 1, 1867, with Father William Nettstraetter as first pastor. Since then the pastors have been: Rev. B. Heskemann, June, 1872, January, 1873; A. Michel, to October, 1874; Anton Schmitz, to October, 1877; F. X. Heller, to June 1, 1878; Conrad Rotter, to August 1, 1884; B. Baak, to June 5, 1886; C. H. Hout, to December 11, 1890; Ch. L. M. Rimmels, to October 26, 1893; H. Boers, to January 12, 1902; C. A. Riedel, to January 7, 1912; J. E. Koppes, to July 1, 1921; and Leo P. Henkel, since July 1, 1921. Saint Mary's Church edifice was erected during the six years Conrad Rotter was in charge of the parish, being dedicated October 26, 1879. The old church then became the parochial school. Since Father Henkel became pastor the parish school has been greatly enlarged.
In Lee County, Illinois, there is a village named Henkel. It was bestowed in honor of Rev. Father Henkel's grandfather, John C. Henkel, Sr., who was born in Baden, Ger many, in 1822. He came to the United States in 1843, traveling by boat over the canals and Great Lakes to Chicago, and thence over land to a German settlement in Lee County. He was one of the early farmers there, and spent his last years at Mendota, where he died in 1906. His wife, Elizabeth Michel, was born in the Grand Duchy of Hesse, Ger many, in 1829 and died in 1908.
Leo Peter Henkel was born on a farm near West Brooklyn in Lee County, April 17, 1891, son of John C. and Catherine (Weber) Henkel. His father was a Lee County farmer and is now living retired at Mendota. Catherine Weber was born in Lee County and died June 4th, 1891. John C. Henkel, Jr., on July 22, 1894, married Barbara Glaser, who was also born in Lee County. John C. and Catherine (Weber) Henkel's children are: William J., born September 9, 1883; Frank A., born April 24, 1885; Jacob, born July 6, 1886; Mary, born January 6, 1888, wife of Peter Happ, Jr.; Chris P., born April 2, 1889; and Leo Peter. The children of the second marriage were: Henry, born April 22, 1896; Martha, born September 29, 1900, and died November 29, 1900; and Helen J., born May 1, 1902, wife of Jacob A. Becker. Leo Peter Henkel was less than two months old when his mother died. He grew up on the home site of his grandparents Henkel, attended district school near the Village of Henkel and completed his grade school work in the Holy Cross School at Mendota. Having determined to dedicate his life to the Church, he took his course in the classics and philosophy at Saint Bede College during 1905-08, studied philosophy and theology at Saint Francis Seminary in Wisconsin from 1908 to 1914; and was ordained June 6, 1914, at Saint Mary's Cathedral, Peoria, by Bishop E. M. Dunne.
Father Henkel has had a busy ministry of service. After his ordination he spent six weeks as chaplain in Saint Elizabeth's Hospital at Danville. From August, 1914, to January, 1915, he was assistant pastor at Saint Patrick's Church in Bloomington, was assistant pastor at Saint Joseph's Church at Danville from January, 1915, to May, 1916, when he was given the regular pastorate of that parish. He remained at Danville until transferred to the pastorate of Saint Mary's Church at Lincoln on July 1, 1921. Father Henkel is also chaplain to the Sisters of Saint Claras Hospital in Lincoln. His hobby is welfare work. He organized the Lincoln Saint Mary's Parish Credit Union, has done much to foster the local Council of Boy Scouts, is a member of the Knights of Columbus, Catholic Order of Foresters, Western Catholic Union and the Lincoln Kiwanis Club.
RAY A. FULLERTON
RAY ALVIN FULLERTON, World war veteran, has added his name to the list of active enterprises and supplies milk products all over Logan County. Mr. Fullerton was born at Atlanta in Logan County, April 14, 1893, son of Benjamin S. and Mary (Layton) Fullerton. His parents were also natives of Logan County, where the family were early settlers. His mother lives at Lincoln. His father, who died in that city October 6, 1923, was a lifelong dairyman and for a number of years operated a milk route in Atlanta, and when his son Ray was four months old he moved to Lincoln and was in the retail milk business there for thirty years. Another son, younger than Ray, is Leslie F. Fullerton, who also owns a dairy business at Lincoln.
Ray A. Fullerton was educated in the grammar and high schools of Lincoln and his knowledge of the milk business is something he has acquired from almost constant contact since he was a boy. For several years he operated a retail milk route. He left that to go into the service of the Chicago & Alton Railroad Company. He was a carpenter with H. J. Stockford when the World war came on and he enlisted and served twelve and a half months in France with the Three Hundred and Sixtieth Machine Gun Company of the Ninetieth Division. He saw front line action at Verdun and in the St. Mihiel campaign.
Soon after his return from overseas Mr. Fullerton resumed his business as a dairyman. He started a small dairy, using such equipment as he could arrange in his own home. Soon afterward in the rear he put up a small building, and several times since then has enlarged and rebuilt his plant. Today his establishment is one of the largest handling milk products in Logan County. He employs sixteen men in the business. It is both whole sale and retail, and one of his products, "Five-O," a milk chocolate drink, is distributed over eight counties. His business is carried on under the title of the Ray A. Fullerton Dairy.
Mr. Fullerton is affiliated with the B. P. 0. Elks, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and belongs to Lincoln Post No. 263 of the American Legion. He married, September 10, 1921, Miss Bertha Clara Harnish. She was born at Logansport, Indiana.
HON. EUGENE BLAND is the present state's attorney of Shelby County. His career has comprised many interesting activities. He has been not only a very capable lawyer and public official, but a successful farmer and man of affairs.
Mr. Bland was born at the old Bland homestead in Shelby County, April 21, 1882. The Bland family originated in Scotland. Among other ancestors was the distinguished chieftain William Wallace. The Blands have been in America for a number of generations. His great-grandfather, John Bland, was a resident of Ohio. The grandfather of the state's attorney was Henry Bland, a native of Ohio who came to Illinois in pioneer days. For some years he was captain of a steamboat on the Mississippi River. He acquired some property in St. Louis, but traded it for a boatload of honey. Coming to Shelby County in early days, he took up a large tract of Government land in Todd's Point Township and lived there until his death. Henry Bland married Miss Dittenhaver, of Ohio.
The father of Eugene Bland was Eugene Bland, who was born at the old home in Todd's Point Township. He was one of the first to respond to the call of President Lincoln for soldiers to put down the rebellion. After the expiration of his first term of enlistment he reenlisted. He was stricken with typhoid fever and was sent home an invalid from the camp at Cairo, Illinois. Later, after recovering, he rejoined the army, becoming a member of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry and was with his regiment in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth and Vicksburg. After the war he returned to Illinois and devoted many years to the operation of his extensive farming interests. He was a Republican, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He died in 1900 and his wife on February 28, 1931. Eugene Bland married Nancy E. Wright. She was born on a farm adjoining that of her husband, daughter of William Wright. William Wright, a native of Bourbon County, Kentucky, was a plantation overseer, directing the labor of many slaves. On leaving Kentucky he came to Shelby County, Illinois, and took up a tract of Government land in Todd's Point Township. This was his home until his death. Mrs. Nancy E. Bland retained several hundred acres of the Wright land, and there has never been a transfer or mortgage reported against this property.
Eugene Bland spent his boyhood days on the farm, attended country schools and the Shelbyville High School. Seven years of his early life after leaving school were devoted to farming. During that time he took over the management of the home farm and also purchased some of the land for himself. Realizing that his talent needed expression in a broader field, he left the farm to enter the University of Illinois, where he applied himself with such diligence to his studies that he completed a five-years course in three years. In 1910 he was graduated with the LL. B. degree and was admitted to the Illinois bar before graduation. He had begun the study of law while living on the farm. After getting his degree Mr. Bland went to the North west, and spent five years in successful practice at Portland, Oregon. While there he served as chairman of the Illinois Society and was a member of a number of the clubs.
After his sojourn in the Northwest Mr. Bland returned to Illinois and organized the Sta-Rite Hair Pin Company, a corporation with half a million dollars capital. He acted as attorney, secretary and treasurer of the company for some time. This is the outstanding industry of the city of Shelbyville and is the largest hair pin factory in the world.
The next chapter of his experience came with the outbreak of the World war. He enlisted and was sent to Jefferson Barracks at St. Louis, where he was assigned duty with the Coast Artillery Corps. He was held there until after the armistice, and while performing the duties of an officer he was never commissioned. He received his honorable discharge in December, 1918. His mother was an invalid and he then took over the management of the farm and the family property. This business received his active attention until the fall of 1928, when he was elected state's attorney of Shelby County. Mr. Bland was elected on the Republican ticket by over a thousand majority in a county which is normally Democratic. His official record fully justifies the confidence of the people of Shelby County. For a number of years Mr. Bland has specialized in handling cases of war veterans before the federal courts and departments. He has handled hundreds of such cases, securing adjusted compensation, insurance, and he has built up such a reputation for this work that hundreds of cases come to him from all over the state. Mr. Bland is a member of the Shelby County and Illinois Bar Associations, the Rotary Club, has been an Elk since he was twenty-one years of age, is a past commander of Findley Post No. 409 of the American Legion and a member of the Unitarian Church. On August 27, 1914, he married Miss Ida Shea, of Portland, Oregon. Her father, Martin Shea, was one of the largest plumbing contractors on the Pacific Coast. Mrs. Bland attended school at Tacoma, Washington, and Portland, Oregon. She is an active factor in the social and club life of Shelbyville.
OSCAR R. YARDLEY
OSCAR RUSSELL YARDLEY was born in Mason County, Illinois, May 7, 1894. That county has been his home all his life. He is a World war veteran, has spent most of his years in farming, but is now a resident of Mason City.
Mr. Yardley's parents were Oscar R. and Clara (Moyer) Yardley. His father was also born in Mason County, spent his active life there as a farmer and stock man, and his farm was known for its herds of fine stock. Since 1927 he and his wife have resided at Sublette, Kansas. He is a Democrat and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and while living in Mason County was a member of the district school beard and the county roads commission. His wife was also born in Mason County. She has devoted herself to her home and children, is an active church worker and is a member of a pioneer Illinois family. Be sides Oscar Russell the children are: Roy, of Sublette, Kansas; Edward, of Mason City; and Josephine, of Sublette.
Oscar Russell Yardley while a boy attended the Golden Valley and Pleasant Unit schools. He did vacation work on his father's farm and was a young farmer when America entered the World war. He responded to the call to the colors and on September 4, 1917, left Mason City for Camp Dodge, Iowa. He was assigned duty as a private in the Three Hundred and Forty-ninth Infantry, Company D, Eighty-eighth Division, and while in camp was made a sergeant, helping train recruits. On August 9, 1918, he sailed for France on board the transport Olympic, landing at Le Havre. His company was put on duty helping in the intensive training in several towns in France and were ordered to the front November 10, 1918. This order was countermanded because of the signing of the armistice on the following day. Mr. Yardley started for home May 29, 1919, and received his honorable discharge at Camp Grant June 13.
After the war he was engaged in farming until 1927, when he moved to Mason City and has ever since been in the service of the local postoffice as rural mail carrier. Since 1923 he has been adjutant of Jackson Keen Post No. 496 of the American Legion. He is an independent in politics, with leanings toward the Republican party. Mr. Yardley keeps in touch with the outside world by the reading of papers and magazines, enjoys works on histories, and is fond of athletic sports and is a radio fan.
He married, January 20, 1921, Miss Mildred Keen, daughter of William T. and Amanda Keen, of Mason City. She was born in Southern Illinois, May 13, 1899, and was two years of age when her parents moved to Mason County. She attended the grade and high schools of Mason City, graduating from high school in 1918 and then entered the Illinois Normal University at Bloomington. After graduating she was a popular teacher in the schools of her home county for three years. Mrs. Yardley is a lover of music and good literature and is a member of the Royal Neighbors and American Legion Auxiliary. Her two brothers were Lawrence Keen, who died of pneumonia in France during the World war, and Dr. Leslie Keen, of Colorado. Her only sister is Ethel Keen Osterloh, of Decatur, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Yardley have two children: Margaret Ruth, born July 9, 1924, and Robert Keen, born January 6, 1928. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
MASON CITY COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL
The second largest high school in Mason County is at Mason City. Since 1920 it has been a community high school, affording high school privileges to pupils over an area of eighty-five square miles and a considerable number of students from other high school districts have sought the privileges of the school by paying tuition. It now enrolls about 170 students.
The high school building was erected in 1917 and in 1929 a large addition was made which practically doubled the space. The building has an assembly room seating 350 persons, eight class rooms, gymnasium and laboratory.
The Mason City Community High School is accredited to the university and to the North Central Association of secondary schools. About fifty per cent of the graduates attend higher institutions of learning. There are now nine teachers in the high school and twelve teachers in the two grade schools of Mason City.
Since Mr. Ray Graham became superintendent in 1929 the school curriculum has been steadily enriched and improved. The high school has a commercial department, two literary societies, the Star and Crescent, which do a great deal of competitive work in debate and also put on plays. Through Mr. Graham a full two years' course of musical instruction was added and there are two glee clubs, for boys and for girls. During the past five years there have been two championship basketball teams and the high school is well represented in football and track activities. Mr. Graham has also sponsored the Mother's Club in both the high and grade schools, and the entire community has shown enthusiastic support of this community institution.
The members of the high school board at the present time are: Bert Spear, president; Samuel Brooks, secretary; J. II. Stith, W. A. Shipp and John Hubby. The grade school board comprises J. W. Ainsworth, president, Frank Mehan, secretary, E. F. Corson, John Lager, Merle Ainsworth, Henry Oldenstadt and W. F. Zimmerman. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
CLIFFORD J. VOGELSANG
HON. CLIFFORD JOHNSTON VOGELSANG, of Taylorville, served two terms as county judge of Christian County. He began the practice of law in that county in 1917. His law practice was interrupted when he joined the colors, but after his honorable discharge he returned to the county and has made a splendid record as an able lawyer and public official.
Judge Vogelsang was born at Henry, Illinois, November 20, 1892. In the paternal line his ancestors were Germans. Two of his ancestors were soldiers at the battle of Waterloo, one as an aide to General Blucher. His grand father, Henry Vogelsang, came from Germany to America when about twenty years of age, first locating at Brooklyn, New York. He worked at his trade as a cabinet maker, and served as a bugler in the Union army during the Civil war. After the war he settled in Illinois. Frank Vogelsang, father of Judge Vogelsang, was born at Henry, Illinois, January 21, 1867. He has followed merchandising for many years, both in the southern and central portions of the state, and is now in business at El Paso, Illinois. Frank Vogelsang married Susan Stella Johnston. She was born and reared at Henry and passed away April 19, 1931.
When Clifford J. Vogelsang was nine years old his parents left Henry and moved to Streator. Here he attended grammar and high school. He received his legal education in Illinois Wesleyan University at Bloomington, where he was graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1917. During the following year he practiced at Pana in Christian County. On August 4, 1918, he answered the call to the colors, being assigned to the Depot Brigade at Camp Grant at Rockford. Later he was chosen as a candidate for the Officers Training School and was sent to Camp Taylor, Louisville, Kentucky. In January, 1919, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He has given the benefit of his army training to work in connection with the military establishment and is now in the Army Reserve Corps, assigned to the Five Hundred and Sixty-seventh Field Artillery, Sixth Corps Area.
After being released from military duty he returned to Pana to engage in private practice. In 1922 he was elected county judge of Christian County and moved his home at that time to Taylorville. He gave two terms of splendid service in this office, and at the end of his second term voluntarily retired in order to resume his private law practice. Judge Vogelsang is a member of the Christian County, Illinois State and American Bar Associations. His associates respect his erudition and his forceful abilities as an attorney, and he is known to all classes for his willingness to help in community progress. He is a Democrat and for two terms was secretary of the County Central Committee, and for one year was senatorial committeeman. He is a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Taylorville, is a member of the Taylorville Post of the American Legion, for one year was exalted ruler of the B. P. 0. Elks at Pana, and is a member of Taylorville Lodge of Masons.
Judge Vogelsang married, June 30, 1921, Miss Verna Harrison. She was graduated with the A. B. degree from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1918 and prior to her marriage was secretary of the Bloomington Y. W. C. A. They have one daughter, Virginia, born December 17, 1927.
WILLIAM H. McCREERY
WILLIAM HAROLD McCREERY, city clerk of Mason City, is one of the very active young businessmen of that community. He is assistant manager and stockholder in the Ainsworth Seed Company.
He was born in Mason City, January 30, 1901. The McCreerys were an early family of Mason County. His grandfather came to this section of Illinois, and lived out his life here except for his participation in the rush across the plains to the California gold fields. John A. McCreery, father of William H., was born in Mason County, was a farmer, and after moving from the farm to Mason City established the Farmers Elevator. He became the first secretary of the Illinois Grain Dealers Association. In 1910 he resigned as manager of the Farmers Elevator and from that time until his death, on October 12, 1925, was a grain merchant on his own account. He was very active as a Republican in politics and for a number of years was a member of the Mason City School Board. He lived a life of helpfulness and kindly sympathy and was a consistent Christian, being a member of the Presbyterian Church. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity. John A. McCreery married Anna Hanna, who was born at Farming dale, Sangamon County, Illinois. She resides in Mason City, is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and her kindliness and sympathy have endeared her to a large circle of friends outside her immediate family. Her children besides William Harold are: Harry Arthur, deceased; John Raymond, of Mason City; Kenneth Gaylord, of Mason City; and Lowell Hanna, a student in the University of Illinois.
William Harold McCreery attended public schools in Mason City, graduating from high school in 1919. When he left school he had a considerable fund of practical business experience, having worked during vacations in the grain business with his father. During 1919-20 he attended Brown's Business College at Peoria, and after graduating joined his father and brothers in the grain business. In 1925 he entered the service of the W. T. Ainsworth Seed Corn Company of Mason City and is now a stockholder and assistant manager of the company.
Mr. McCreery is a Republican in politics and was elected on that ticket to the office of city clerk. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Presbyterian Church, and is a young man of broad interest, having a fondness for the major athletic sports, football, baseball and basketball, enjoys reading, but his chief hobby is his business.
He married, December 20, 1922, Miss Audrey Petrie, daughter of Claude L. and Marion Petrie, of Greenview, Illinois. She graduated from the Greenview High School in 1920, then spent one year in the University of Illinois and another year in Illinois Wesleyan University at Bloomington. Mrs. McCreery was born in 1902. They have one child, Delmar Keith McCreery, born February 11, 1924.
Archie E. McCorvie
ARCHIE EDWARD McCorvie is the capable and well loved superintendent of the Illinois Masonic Home at Sullivan. The Illinois Masonic Home was organized in 1903-04. The original property devoted to the use of the institution comprises 264 acres, being a legacy from Robert Miller, willed to the Illinois Grand Lodge as a site for a home. Later an adjoining tract of 200 acres was willed to the Grand Lodge by Edward Swain. When first opened the home accommodated fifty people. A group of five buildings has risen on the grounds. The home now affords available room for 240 persons, and at the present time there are 240 residents. A modern, well equipped ninety-one bed hospital is an important feature of the establishment. As an institution it represents a splendid philanthropy and is a matter of pride to all Illinois Masons.
Mr. Archie E. McCorvie is a native of Northern Illinois, born at Argyle November 13, 1881. His parents were Edward and Barbara (McCallum) McCorvie. His father came to Illinois in 1870, from Campbellton, Scotland. He was reared and educated in his native country, and in Illinois for many years was connected with Ralston Brothers at Argyle, grain, lumber and implement dealers. He was thoroughly a home man, devoted to his family and sacrificed a great deal that his sons might be well prepared for their careers. He died in April, 1920, and his wife in April, 1914. There were three sons. The oldest, D. R. McCorvie, is a farmer at Argyle and is also in the Federal service. D. W. McCorvie is connected with the Midvalley Supply Company. of St. Louis, Missouri.
Archie E. McCorvie attended public schools at Argyle, a business college at Rockford and on leaving school took up office and sales work at Beloit, Wisconsin, for a year and a half. He continued in a similar capacity with the John Robinson Company at Poplar Grove, Illinois. Mr. McCorvie has had nearly twenty years of experience in institutional work. In 1914 he was appointed the original superintendent of the Boone County Home, where he worked for seven years. Then, in 1921, he was called to his present post as superintendent of the Illinois Masonic Home at Sullivan. The residents of the Home are very fond and proud of their superintendent, who in turn has shown every kindness and consideration to those under his charge.
Mr. McCorvie has since early manhood been active in Masonry. His affiliations are with Belvidere Lodge No. 60, A. F. and A. M., Royal Arch Chapter No. 90, the Eastern Star, Gill W. Bernard Commandery No. 74, Knights Templar, of which he is a past commander, the Council at Sullivan, and the Freeport Consistory and Telala Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. He is also a past noble grand of Boone Lodge No. 832, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Community Club at Sullivan, and is one of the trustees of the Sullivan Country Club. He is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. McCorvie married, July 2, 1912, Miss Mary E. Kelly, daughter of Charles and Janet Kelly, of Argyle. They have one son, Archie E., Jr., born April 21, 1923. In 1929 Mr. McCorvie and family made a trip abroad to visit the old McCorvie home in Scotland, where he was happy to review the scenes which had been made familiar to him by many descriptions of his father.
EDWARD C. BRANDENBURGER
EDWARD C. BRANDENBURGER, Illinois newspaper man, was for a number of years an associate of the distinguished and honorable Fred J. Kern of Belleville, but is now publishing a paper of his own, the Sullivan Progress, at the county seat of Moultrie County.
Mr. Brandenburger was born in St. Clair County, Illinois, December 17, 1885, son of Peter and Louise (Rieso) Brandenburger. His paternal grandfather came from the Rhineland of Germany and settled in Illinois about 1840. Peter Brandenburger was born in St. Clair County in 1848, spent most of his life in the community where he was born and was one of the substantial farmers of St. Clair County. Edward C. Brandenburger was educated in the public schools of St. Clair County, attended a commercial college at Belleville, and in 1905, at the age of twenty, began the work which has held him ever since. At that time he became an employee of Fred J. Kern in the office and plant of the News-Democrat at Belleville. He was for fourteen years associated with the News-Democrat, the last eight years of that time as business manager.
Mr. Brandenburger in 1919 decided to try his own wings as an editor. Consequently he bought the Sullivan Progress. The Progress is a weekly and has greatly prospered and grown in influence under the ownership and management of Mr. Brandenburger. His editorial writings are quoted far and wide. He has given to the Progress an unusual distinction among Illinois weeklies in containing an editorial page.
Mr. Brandenburger is a leader in the Democratic party of his county and has been faithful in support of all community undertakings. For two years he was chairman and for a number of years was secretary of the Democratic Central Committee. He is a member of the Illinois Editorial Association, was president of the Community Club during 1929, is a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Sullivan Country Club, and is on the official board of the Christian Church. He is also a member of the high school board at Sullivan. He married, February 16, 1913, Miss Clara Schiek, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Schiek, of Freeburg, Illinois. They have one son, Byron, a student in the high school at Sullivan.
George W. Shaw
George W. Shaw, farmer and stockraiser, P.O. Fairfield, was born March 13, 1831, in Davis County, Tenn. His father, William W. Shaw, was born in 1799, in Tennessee. He was a blacksmith and farmer by occupation, and died in this county, to which he came in 1834. His memory is cherished by our older citizens who knew him well. The mother of our subject was Margaret (Campbell) Shaw, a native of Tennessee. She died in this county. Her father, George Campbell, was a native of South Carolina, and a tailor by occupation. Eleven children looked up to her and called her mother; several of them are now living, viz.: Susan A. Johnson, Martha A. Dorris, Nancy N. Bland, Kiziah George, Sarah Merritt, George W., our subject, and William J. Mr. Shaw used to attend the old-fashioned subscription schools in Barnhill Township. In early life, he learned the blacksmith trade of his father, and followed it for many years, but since 1853 he has devoted his attention mainly to farming, owning now a farm of 100 acres. He was joined in matrimony here in October, 1853, to Mrs. Mary McCullough, born 1830 in Illinois. She is a daughter of William W. George, deceased, who was a most worthy and highly respected citizen of this county. His sketch appears in another part of this work. Mrs. Shaw is the mother of eleven children, of whom seven are now living, viz.: Valaria G., born August 28, 1854, wife of Joseph Farinsworth; Paria P., born January 22, 1859, wife of Samuel Brown; George D., born April 22, 1861; Thomas L., born March 9, 1863; Phalitia A., born December 4, 1865; Elvira I., born February 20, 1859, and Azalia K., born April 26, 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are active members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In politics, he is a strict Democrat. It is said that he is one of the hardest workers in the county. From 1873 to 1877 he spent in Texas. [History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884, reprint 1977, pg. 56-57.]
William W. George
W. W. George was born in South Carolina November 15, 1810. Removed to Kentucky about 1818; remained there until 1824, when he removed to Illinois and settled in Gallatin County, and removed from there to White County, where he lived until 1830, when he removed to Wayne County, where he has resided ever since. Was married in Hamilton County, Illinois, November 1, 1827, to Miss Mary Maberry. United with the M.E. Church in 1842, in which he lived for several years, and afterward united with the First Presbyterian Church of Fairfield, where he remained until his death, which tool lace September 16, 1883.
He was the father of six children, who arrived at man or womanhood, five of whom, Mary Shaw, Martha Atteberry, Olivia Way, Meshech George, and William W. George, are still living, and one, Helen Hendershot, is dead. Only two of his children, Mary Shaw and Martha Atteberry, are living here.
Mr. George was continuously in public life from the time he attained his majority until his death. During this time there was one short period of eighteen months, during which he held no office. He was elected a Justice of the Peace before he attained the age of twenty-one, and his commission was delayed until he arrived at legal age. He held the office of Justice forty-five years; was County Judge four years; School Commissioner six years; was also Drainage Commissioner for Wayne County, and two years Commissioner on River Improvements undertaken by the state.
His father, John George, was born in Ireland, and when a child came to South Carolina, where he grew to manhood and married Mary Stone. She was born in South Carolina, but was of Irish parentage. The father was in the War of 1812, after which, in 1816, he removed to Kentucky, where he remained until 1824, at which time he removed to Illinois and settled in Gallatin County. In the last-named county, and in White County, he spent the remainder of his life. From White County he went to the Black Hawk War, serving until its close. He died in White County. [History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884, reprint 1977, pg. 56-57]
RETURN TO BIOGRAPHY INDEX
RETURN TO MAIN ILTRAILS PAGE
Transcribed by Kim Torp