Monroe County, Illinois Biographies
BECKER, Philip, life insurance; born in Monroe Co., ILL., Mar. 19, 1864; son of Charles and Katherine (Hahn) Becker; educated in public schools and Perkins and Herpel Business College, St. Louis; married, St. Louis, Oct. 10, 1887, Huldah K. Gutwald; five children: Bertha, Edna, Cecelia A., Leonora A., Huldah K. On farm until sixteen years of age; connected with retail grocery business, St. Louis, 1880-89; since identified with life insurance, and general agent and manager at St. Louis, of Great Western Life Insurance Co. of Kansas City, Mo., since 1911. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner Club: Masonic. Recreations: fishing and hunting. Office: 200 LaSalle Bldg. Residence: 5736 Etzel Ave. Summer Residence: ''Meadowbrook,'' Pulaski Co., Mo.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
BOCK, Arminius Frederick, physician; born, in Monroe Co., ILL., Oct. 19, 1846; son of Frederick B. and Catherine (Lemen) Bock; educated in public schools, and at University of Wurzburg. Germany, M.D., 1868; married, St. Louis, 1875, Emma Beckman; children: Bertha (Mrs. Dr. H. D. Brandt), Elsa (Mrs. Dr. L. H. Hempelmann), Alice, Frederick Louis. In practice as physician and surgeon in St. Louis since 1869. Was surgeon for sixteen years, and is now consulting surgeon, to Deaconess Hospital. Member American Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society. English Lutheran. Office and Residence: 1109 N. Grand Ave.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
DEDEKE, Fredrich J.
Fredrich J. Dedeke was b. May 10, 1823 in Hanover, Germany and died April 4, 1900. He is buried in Waterloo City Cemetery. He was a carpenter.
His wife is Margaretha Schroeder Dedeke b. July 10, 1835 in Leadwich Dres, Hanover, Germany and died May 1910, also buried in the same cemetery. She was a mid-wife in that area.
They had the following children:
Mary b. 1855
Ida b. 1861 in Waterloo
Anna Catharina Margaretha b.1865. This was my gggrandmother. She married at St. Pauls United Church of Christ and was baptized and confirmed at this church.
Josephine b. 1872 in Waterloo
Adam b. 1880 in Waterloo.
[Unknown source, Submitted by Patricia ]
GARDNER, Amos F.F.
Amos Frederick Foster Gardner was born 1 Jan. 1813 in Washington Co., OH. He was the son of Amos Gardner (? - 1813 OH) & Mary "Polly" Barkley (1785 PA - 1848 IL). The parentage of Amos (Sr.) is unknown. Mary was the daughter of Thomas Barkley/Barclay & Elizabeth "Betsey" Kirkpatrick. "Betsey" was the daughter of Samuel Kirkpatrick, Sr., who served in the Revolutionary War from Martic Twp., Lancaster Co., PA & the gr. daughter of Alexander Kirkpatrick who settled in Martic Twp., Lancaster Co., PA before 1746. When Amos F.F. Gardner was only 9 months old his father died in Washington Co., OH. His mother later married Luke Chandler in OH. There were 5 issues of this Chandler marriage, all born between 1820 to 1825.In 1838 Amos & his mother sold their property in Ohio and purchased property in Monroe Co., IL. Amos married 1838 in OH to Elizabeth Cockshott. She was the daughter of Samuel & Alice Cockshott. Elizabeth was born 1814 in England & died 1866 in Waterloo, Monroe Co., IL. There were four issues of this marriage. Two unnamed children are buried in the New Design Cemetery in Monroe Co., IL. The other two surviving children were Melissa Gardner (1839-1863) who married Joseph Windsor Drury. There were three issues of this marriage. Rufus Gardner (1844-1931) married Catherine Ann Burke. There was one issue of this marriage. After Elizabeth died, 1868 Waterloo, Monroe Co., IL,Amos was married to Mary Anna Hendrickson (1841 - 1924) She was the daughter of Charles H. Hendrickson & Anna Maria (Hormel) Hendrickson Grantz. There were two issues of this marriage. Jesse Leigh "Lee" Gardner (1870-1942) who married Maude Laura Brooks. There were two issues of this marriage. Charles Foster Gardner (1875-1948) who married Florence Christina Becker. There was one issue of this marriage. Both "Lee" & Charles resided in St. Clair Co., IL, where they died.
Amos F.F. Gardner was a farmer. His farm was located on the outskirts of Waterloo, IL. In his later life he left the farm & moved into the town of Waterloo, where he died (Nov 27, 1884) after being thrown from a horse. Amos & his two wives are buried in the Waterloo Cemetery, Waterloo, Monroe Co., IL. He was a member of the New Design Baptist Church & later the Methodist Church. Direct, collateral & allied families of the Waterloo, Monroe Co., IL Gardner line are Druse, Burroughs, Chandler, Foster, Ritzler, Hendrickson, Hormel, Cockshott, Burke, Drury, Grantz, Brooks & Becker. [Unknown source, submitted by Sue Gardner Shreve]
JAENKE, JULIUS H., a harness dealer of Burksville, is numbered among the prominent and respresentative business men of that place. He well merits the prominent position which he fills and the high regard in which he is held. He was born in Germany, December 21, 1851 and is a son of Ehrenfried G. and Christiana (Grallert) Jaenke, both of who were natives of Prussia. Their family numbered six children of whom four are living: William, Fred, Julius H. and George J. The parents were both reared and educated in their native land. The father was millwright by trade. In 1852 he brought his wife and children to the United States, and on reaching the shores of this country, came directly to Waterloo, Ill. where he followed coopering for a time. He afterward purchased an eighty-acre farm in Monroe County, and successfully carried on agricultural pursuits until his death. Both he and his wife were members of St. Paul's church and in politics he was a Republican. His death occurred at the age of sixty-seven, and his wife passed away at the age of sixty-two years.
It was during the infancy of our subject that he was brought to America. He attended school until thirteen years of age, and then began earning his own liveihood by learning the harness-makers trade, serving a three years' apprenticeship. He then again attended school, and after pursuing his studies for a time in the high school at Waterloo, he began teaching. Subsequently he was for three terms a student in the state normal school at Carbondale, Ill. He then resumed teaching, which profession he followed for twelve years, being recognized as one of the most able instructors in the county.
On leaving the normal school, Mr. Jaenke was united in marriage with Miss Mary Keck, a native of Monroe Count, who was reared and educated near Waterloo, and who is a highly cultured and refined lady. Two children were born to them, of whom one is yet living, Julius H. The mother was a faithful member of St. Paul's Church of Waterloo, and was a most estimable lady. Her death occurred at the early age of twenty-six years. For his second wife, Mr. Jaenke chose Catherine Trost, also a native of Monroe County, where her maidenhood days were passed. Three children graced this union, of whom two are yet living, Lydia and Flora. The mother is a highly educated lady and belongs to the Lutheran Church.
Mr. Jaenke continued to engage in teaching for some years. He then abandoned that profession, and gave his entire attention to farming and harness-making, which pursuits he still follows. He is the owner of one hundred and eighty acres of rich land, under a high state of cultivation and well improved, and also owns some town property. As a harness dealer he is doing a good business and enjoys a constantly increasing trade, which he well merits, for he is honorable and upright in all transactions and earnestly desires to please his customers. He carries a policy in the Northwestern Insurance Company of Chicago for $1,000. He is a member of the Harigari Lodge of Waterloo, and has held the offices of Township Assessor and Justice of the Peace, dischargin his duties with credit to himslef and satisfaction to his constituents. He votes independently, preferring to support the man whom he thinks best qualified for the office. Mr. Jaenke is a member of the Lutheran Church, and is now serving as its President. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois..." Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co., 1894 - Sub by FoFG]
1818 DELEGATE FROM MONROE COUNTY
Enoch Moore was the first child born of American parents in the Illinois Territory. He was a delegate to the first Illinois Constitutional Convention from Monroe County, Illinois. A Private in the War of 1812, he served with a unit of mounted rangers commanded by his brother, James B. Moore. His daughter Caroline received Bounty Land as a result of his service, shortly after his death on 20 July, 1848.
Enoch Biggs Moore was the fifth child of Captain James Moore and Catherine Biggs. He was born on 17 February, 1783, in the old block house at Belle Fountaine, the area his parents settled in the year 1782. Here, amid the troublous times and exciting scenes of the early days of his first years were spent, and here he saw the brave, strong spirit of his sire take its flight from earth, and when the sorrowing and almost destitute family left behind met in solemn conclave to determine upon a future cause of action, 'twas his almost infantile lips that spoke the words that kept them united and intact, and this firmness and force of character thus early exhibited and was always a leading characteristic of his life. At a very youthful age he developed a thirst for knowledge and a great avidity for study. He early sought after all kinds of books and literature of practical and useful character, and possessing a mathematical mind of high order, he, when comparatively young, became one of the most competent surveyors and civil engineers of his day, and much of the Government surveying of that time was done under his immediate direction and supervision. On his birthday, in 1803, he married Mary Whiteside, daughter of a former Rutherford County, NC resident, Captain William and Mary (Nancy) Booth Whiteside II, now of Whitesides' Station. The couple had eleven children together.
Enoch settled upon the tract of land allotted him (four hundred acres) and here loved and pursued the quiet avocation of a farmer until our war with Great Britain in 1812, when he enlisted as a private in the company organized and commanded by his brother, Captain James Moore, and with whom he shared the toils, hardships and dangers of that eventful time. At the close of the war he returned to his home and was at once selected by his fellow citizens to fill the office of clerk of the Circuit Court, in which position he ably and acceptably acted for many years. He subsequently filled the office of Probate Judge of Monroe County, Illinois, and on the application of the then Territory for admission into the United States, he was chosen a delegate to its Constitutional Convention and was afterwards chosen by his constituency to represent them in the State Legislature. In his early manhood he allied himself to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his rare administrative abilities being at once recognized, he was called upon to fill various offices of an ecclesiastical nature, always receiving and meriting the commendation of his brethren.
After a time, with a view to the enlargement of his sphere of usefulness he became ordained an Elder and Local Minister of the Church, and his ministrations always bore stamp of the harmonious blending of kindly sympathy with determined and unflinching discipline. With a mind eminently practical, and a vast range of reading, every detail of church government and discipline was at his command, and possessed, as he was, in an extraordinary degree with the power of pleasing and harmonizing, he was an invaluable auxiliary to the church, and his being a character of the highest and purest Christian type, he inspired respect, love and admiration among all classes.
Enoch Moore being of an active business natural bent, engaged in merchandising in the Town of Waterloo in company with one of his sons (McKendree), and at a most critical time for them, having large outstanding sums due the firm, his partner and son suddenly died, leaving matters in a somewhat embarrassed state. Owing to the utter impossibility of making immediate collections, and with heavy responsibilities and liabilities resting upon the firm, Enoch was forced to make heavy sacrifices in order to meet existing demands.
To accomplish this, much of the homestead tract was sold at great sacrifice, and although the law for the protection of insolvent debtors was in force and affect at that time in the State of Illinois, his fine sense of honor would not permit him to avail himself of its benefits as he could have one, and as a consequence from a financial condition of ease and competence, he found himself reduced to comparitive poverty, but not one dollar of their indebtedness remained unpaid.
His worthy helpmate was a woman of great energy and force of character and endowed with a clear, strong intellect. In her Enoch always found his best and safest counsellor, and his most ernest abettor in all his good works. Her and his own, was peace, for not alone her own kith and kin, but myriads of the living and those gone before, rise up and call her blessed.
Enoch Moore departed this life on 20 July, 1848, aged 66 years, and all that is mortal will moulder in decay, the memory of his pure life and acts of loving kindness will live green in the hearts of those who know and still survive him. His wife died on 23 December, 1847. His remains rest at Bell Fontaine...
[Excerpted from "Reminiscences of the Moore Family," by Capt. J. M. Moore, Oakland, Cal: Evening Tribune and Job Printing House, 415 and 417 Eight Street, 1882 - Submitted by F. Warren Moore]
This enterprising and progressive firm of ranch and cattle men is composed of James B. and John C. Nimerick, the former born on February 22, 1858, in Monroe county, Illinois, and the latter on May 5, 1860, in Madison county, Illinois, the sons of James M. and Elizabeth (Glass) Nimerick, natives of St. Clair county, Illinois. The father’s life began on August 31, 1822, and he grew to manhood in his native place after the manner of boys of his time and locality, attending the common schools and working on the home farm. He also had a term or two at McKinley College. When twenty-six years old he began learning the trade of milling, and during the next twenty-five years he followed that craft, after some years building a mill of his own. In 1864 he came west, going up the Missouri as far as Fort Benton, Montana. Later he went into Utah and Colorado, returning to his eastern home from Denver. Indians were plentiful and often he was obliged to seek shelter from their fury. In 1872 he purchased land near Greenland, forty-eight miles south of Denver, and there he was occupied in ranching until 1886. He then sold his interests in that locality and moved to the section in which he now lives. Soon afterward he made a trip through Washington Territory as it was then, and on the return trip, stopping at Salt Lake, devoted some time to speculation. In 1889 his family came to White river valley and took up a squatter’s claim on which they followed ranching. The father became prominent in the political affairs of the section, representing Elbert and Douglas counties in the territorial legislature while he lived in one of them. He also held local offices in Illinois before leaving that state, serving as justice of the peace and probate judge. He was married on November 9, 1846, to Miss Elizabeth Glass, a native of the same county in Illinois as himself. Of their nine children five are living, Jennie (Mrs. Lloyd Stealey), Neil G., James B., John and Nellie (Mrs. George Taylor). The two sons who form the subjects of this review were educated at the common schools and early began learning on the paternal homestead the lessons of thrift and useful industry, which have been their main stay through subsequent life. They have a good ranch of two hundred acres, eighty of which are under cultivation in the usual farm products of the region, and they carry on a flourishing stock industry. The ranch is twenty-eight miles east of Meeker, which affords them a good market. The possessions they have and their good standing in their community are the legitimate fruits of their own enterprise and worth, and their career affords a forcible illustration of the benefits of forecast, industry and careful attention to a chosen pursuit in this land of wide and fertile opportunities. Both are Democrats and earnestly interested in the welfare of their party. They are the pioneers of the north fork of the White river, their mother and nephew, Guy M. Stealey, accompanying them. They were obliged to cut their way for many miles through underbrush which grew along the river and forded that stream nine times in order to reach the location of their present home. It was a wild, unbroken country and far from the civilization of white people. Mrs. Nimerick was the first woman to settle in the North Fork valley. Since those days the country has been well developed and Nimerick brothers have done their share, having constructed four miles of the present road to their ranch. They have also built irrigating ditches, etc. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
MORRISON, HON. WILLIAM RALLS - for sixteen years a Member of Congress from the Eighteenth Congressional District of Illinois, was born in Monroe County, Ill. September 14, 1825. He secured his preliminary education in the common schools, and afterward attended McKendree College. He enlisted in the Mexican War and served as a private in Colonel Bissel's regiment under General Taylor, after which he studied law and was admitted to the Bar in Monroe County.
In 1852 Mr. Morrison was elected Clerk of Monroe County, and served in that capacity until 1854, when he resigned. He was then chosen to represent his district in the Legislature and became Speaker of the House in 1859. At the beginning of the Rebellion he organized the Forty-Ninth Illinois Infantry and took an active and prominent part in the early portion of the war. At the battle of Ft. Donelson he was severely wounded. In 1862 while in command of his regiment, he was elected by the Democratic party to the Thirty-eighth Congress, but was defeated for the Thirty-ninth and Fortieth Congresses.
In 1872 Colonel Morrison again received the nomination by the Democratic party, and was elected, taking his seat the following year and serving until 1887. From 1875 until 1877, and again from 1883 to 1887, he was Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, and in that responsible position rendered efficient service, as he did in every other duty entrusted to him. In 1886 he was defeated for re-election. He was a delegate to the National Union Convention in 1866 and to the Democratic Conventions of 1856, 1868, 1884 and 1888. At the time of the last election of General Logan to the United States Senate, Colonel Morrison was his oponent, and there was a difference of but two votes between their respective parties. Though the matter was long and hotly contested, the relations between the two were of the most friendly character, as they had been friends from an early day and comrades during the war.
At the expiration of his Congressional service in March, 1887, Colonel Morrison was appointed by President Cleveland a member of the Inter-State Commerce Commission for a term of five years, and was re-appointed by President Harrison for six years. For a long time he has been a prominent factor in the Democratic party, which he more truly represents than any one else in this section. On two occasions he has had a strong following for the Presidential nomination. He is still active and influential in the councils of his party, and is held in high regard, not only by those of similar political belief, but by his fellow-men, irrespective of party affliations. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois..." Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co., 1894 - Sub by FoFG]
WELSCH, NICHOLAS, a well known farmer of Monroe County, who now devotes his time and energies to agricultural pursuits on section 31, township 3, range 10 west, was born on the 18th of September, 1834 and comes of one of the representative families of this community, His parents, John and Anna M. (Weirschem) Welsch, were both natives of Germany, and were there reared and educated. The father was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit in his native land until 1839, when with his family he crossed the water to America. He took up his residence in St. Clair County, Ill. and two years later came to Monroe County locating on a farm near Madonnaville. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, but afterward sold this and purchased a large farm, the same upon which our subject now resides. At one time he owned over eight hundred acres of valuable land and was numbered among the wealthiest citizens of the county. In 1870, he removed to Monroe, purchased a pleasant home, and there resided until his death, which occurred at the age of sixty seven. His wife, a most estimable lady, passed away t the age of seventy-two. They were both members of the Catholic Church, and Mr. Welsch served as its Trustee for some time. In politics he was stalwart Democrat, and was honored with several local offices. He engaged extensively in raising grapes for the manufacture of wine, which he sold to the St. Louis markets. In one year he made over four thousand gallons of wine. Mr. Welsch, who was a very popular man, won many friends and was highly respected by all who knew him
In the Welsch family were twelve children, but seven of the number are now deceased. Those still living are Maria, Joseph, Catherine, Peter and Nicholas. The last-named, who is the subject of this sketch, was reared and educated in Monroe County, spending the days of his boyhood and youth in the usual manner of farmer lads. He began life for himself at the age of twenty-one, and as a companion and helpmate on life's journey chose Miss Mary E. Aras, a native of Germany. By their union were born eleven children, of who two are now deceased. The others are, Anna S., Lizzie J., Mary L., Katie C., Louisa T., Josephine M., Emil J., George N. and Joseph J. They have also reared two orphan children, Henrietta Bucher and John Faagen. The mother this family came to America when a maiden of twelve summers, and lived with her parents in New Orleans for two years before coming to Illinois. She is a member of the Catholic Church, and is a most highly respected lady, whose excellencies of character have gained her many friends.
After the death of his father, Mr. Welsch purchased the old homestead farm, comprising more than five hundred acres of land. He has led a useful life, and as the result of his untiring labors he is now the owner of a very valuable property. His land is all under a high state of cultivation, and is improved with good buildings and all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm. In his political views, Mr. Welsch is a supporter of the Democracy; he has held the offices of Trustee and School Director, but has never been an active politician, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his business interests, in which he has met with signal success. He and his children are all members of the Catholic Church, and he is a prminent and influential citizen of the community, and is held in high regard throughout the county in which he has so long made his home. He is numbered among the pioneer settlers, for since a very early day he has witnessed the growth and upbuilding of this region, and in the work of public advancement and improvement he has ever borne his part. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois..." Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co., 1894 - Sub by FoFG]