Ogle County, Illinois
BAKER, Miss Joanna, linguist and educator, born in New Rochelle, Ogle county, Ill., 14th February, 1862. She is professor of Greek, language, literature and philosophy in Simpson College, Indianola, Iowa. Her name has come conspicuously before the public on account of her early and unusual proficiency in ancient and modern languages. Her parents, Orlando H. and Mary C. Ridley Baker, were both teachers and linguists, and began to instruct her in Greek and Latin as soon as she could speak English clearly. Her father for her amusement taught her, instead of Mother Goose melodies, the conjugation of the verb in Greek and Latin, which she learned merely from the rhythm. It was in her fourth year she was put to the systematic study of three languages, one lesson each day except Sunday. Mondays and Thursdays it was Greek, Tuesdays and Fridays, Latin, and Wednesdays and Saturdays, French. This system of instruction was continued with only the variation of oral exercises, and with scarcely ever an intermission, for several years. The lessons assigned were short, but the standard was perfection. She learned her lessons so easily that it took but a small part of the morning, and she seemed to have as much time for voluntary reading and childish amusements, of which she was very fond, as those children who had no studies Before she was eight years old, she had thoroughly finished the primary books in Greek, Latin and French She had read, besides, in Greek the first book of Xenophon's Anabasis and three books of Homer's Iliad. In Latin she had read Harkness' Reader entire, the first book of Caesar, and two books of Virgil's ?neid. She took daily grammar lessons in Hadley's Greek grammar and Harkness' Latin, and all the grammatical references and notes annexed to the texts both of Latin and Greek. She had read In French a book of fables and stories, and learned Fasquelle's French course. Homer, Virgil and Fasquelle were recited with college classes. These were her studies in language before her eighth birthday. Her parents removed to Algona, Iowa, where she became a student in Algona College. At the age of twelve years, besides the above studies, she had read other books of Homer and Virgil, Herodotus, Memorabilia, Demosthenes de Corona, Sallust, Cicero de Senectute et Amicitia, Orations against Catiline, with frequent exercise in Latin and Greek composition. It is not to be supposed that she was wholly occupied with classical studies. She was initiated early into the mysteries of practical housekeeping, from the kitchen up. She read history, biography and such current literature as fell into her hands, and was always ready to take her place with girls of her age in excursions and sports. At twelve years of age she began to study arithmetic and finished it so far as the subject of interest in three months. She took up algebra, geometry and trigonometry in rapid succession, and showed as much ability in mathematics as in languages. Before her fourteenth year she had read several times over Rdipus Tyrannus in Greek, and made a complete lexicon of it, with critical notes on the text. At sixteen she had read most of the Greek and Latin of a college course and, having returned to Simpson College, was appointed by President Berry tutor of Greek. This was the occasion of the first public notice taken of her early linguistic, attainments. The notice made of her in the Indianola "Herald" was copied with comments and variations all over America and in many countries of Europe. At eighteen years of age she published an original literal translation of Plato's Apology, which received commendation from eminent Greek scholars. Some years before she had begun the study of music and German. This language became a favorite and she soon acquired a speaking knowledge of it. In 1881 she entered Cornell College, Iowa, and in 1882 graduated, receiving the degree of A.B. She entered DePauw University in 1886, for special instruction in Greek, German, French and music. After two years of study, during which she acted as tutor of Greek, she received the degree of A.M. pro merito, was admitted an alumna of that university, ad enndem gradum, and was elected instructor of Latin by the board of trustees, in which position she served for one year. She was re-elected the second year, but, having received an offer of the chair of Greek in Simpson College, a position her father had filled twenty years before, she accepted the latter. A year after she lost her mother to whom she was affectionately attached. She has three younger sisters. The older, Myra, is now professor of German and French in Napa College, California, and the other two are still at home, students in college. Miss Baker is a clear, forcible writer and a ready speaker. Her public lectures are well attended. She is an interesting conversationist, has a pleasing address and is unassuming. She is popular with her students and imbues them with her own enthusiasm and love for the Greek language and its literature She organized all students of Greek in the college into a club called Hoi Hellenikoi, especially for the study of Greek home life and customs, mythology and civil polity; and to gain familiarity with choice passages from the best authors in the original Greek Miss Baker is fond of company, and a member of the Methodist Church.
(American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897 -- Transcribed by Marla Snow)
CLYMER, Harry G., architect; born, Polo, ILL., Juno 29, 1873; son of Henry L. and Mary M. Clymer; educated in public schools to fourteen; married, St. Louis, Mar. 1, 1899, Miss Lottie Long; children: Dorothy, William H. Began in architecture in office of A. F. Rosenheim, St. Louis; became head draftsman for A. M. Beinke and after death of employer, 1901, assumed practice of architecture; now member of firm of Clymer & Drischler; has erected a number of residences and mercantile and manufacturing establishments of St. Louis. Lutheran. Mason. Office: 619 Wainwright Bldg. Residence: 5228 Maple Ave. (Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
[Biographies from Page 654 of "The History of Ogle Co, IL"]
Coffee, Patrick, laborer; Rochelle.
Colamer, William, laborer; Rochelle.
Colditz, William (Firm of Coldiz & Williams), Hardware, etc.; res. Cor. Washington and Holland Sts.; born in Saxony Jan 16, 1834; came to Lane (now Rochelle) in Dec., 1856; carried on a tin shop with T. E. Turkington & Co. till Aug., 1870, and then the firm changed to Colditz & Williams; married Clara Boesewetter in July, 1855; they have four children: William D., born March 8, 1858; Emma O., Oct. 13, 1859; Jennie L., July 29, 1861, and Lincoln, born March 13, 1864; are member of the Universalist Church; Mrs. C. died Nov. 24, 1873; he married Anna Cridner Aug. 18, 1874; she was born in Gussen, Germany. ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Collier, John - Res. Bartholomew St.; born in Chemung Co., N. Y., Dec 1, 1811; came to Ogle Co. in 1836, and taught school about two years, then returned to Chemung Co., N.Y., and continued teaching; returned in 1842 to Ogle Co., and bought a claim in Jefferson Grove, and lived there; has been Justice of the Peace and Township Treasurer for a number of years; married Eleanor Rowley, Jan 1, 1840; she was born in Chemung Co., N. Y., March 17, 1818, and died April 19, 1873; have had eight children - three now living: Mary E. (now Mrs. L.D. Rees), Alletta J. (now Mrs. M. C. Denslow), and Frances R. ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Comstock, R. A., Rochelle
Cook, C. N., farm; Sec 29, P. O. Rochelle.
Cook, Walter, Rochelle
Cooley, John, Farmer and Blacksmith;
Sec 6; P. O. Rochelle; born Aug. 10, 1829, in Bradford Co., Pa.; came to his present farm in 1838; owns 120 acres,
valued at $50 per acre; married Eliza Austin Oct. 27, 1850; she was born April 5, 1833, in Knox Co., O.; her father,
Edward Austin, lives with her; he was born Nov 3, 1799, in the Co. of Kent, England, and came to this country in
1830; her mother died Jan. 23 1854, aged 59 years; had eight children - five are living: Mary E. (now Mrs. Evans),
born Sept. 6, 1854; Abagail E. (now Mrs. Crandall), Sept. 6, 1856; John W., Aug. 10, 1864; Cora E. Oct. 1. 1866;
Austin M., Oct. 28, 1869; Mr. C., was present at the shooting of the Driscols; his father, Rufus M., was born June
29, 1785 and died Aug. 25, 1873; his mother, Mary Horton, was born Oct. 1, 1796, and died Aug. 21, 1874. ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times
Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Coon, Charles, painter; Rochelle.
Coon, F. B., livery; Rochelle.
Coon, Horace, Rochelle
Cooper, Peter, farmer; Sec. 1?,
P.O. Rochelle; born Aug. 22, 1823 in Morris Co., N. J.; went to Franklin Co, O., in 1846; came to Ogle Co., in
1848 and entered 172 acres land; then returned to N. J., and remained about 18 months; then returned to Ohio, and
in 1854 returned to Ogle Co., and settled on his farm; owns 337 acres, valued at $50 per acre, and 1,200 acres
in Kas., valued at $6 per acre; married Mary Serick May 29, 1855; she was born Dec. 12, 1836; had twelve children-ten
living: Mary E. (Now Mrs. Haynes), born May 28, 1856; Garret Jan. 14, 1858; Oliver, Dec. 9, 1859; Ed A., Aug 10,
1861; Catherine, Nov 3?, 1862; Albert, Dec. 12, 1866; Minnie, Oct. ?, 1868; William, Nov. 14, 1870; Charles, Jan
9, 1873; Howard, Aug 7, 1876. ["The History of Ogle County,
Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Corbin, F. H. laborer; Rochelle.
Corbin, William H. laborer; Rochelle.
Coyne, Andrew, laborer; Rochelle.
Coyne, Mathew; laborer; Rochelle.
Craft, Joseph V. Boots and Shoes;
res. Cor. Bartholomew and Chapin Sts.; born Aug. 3, 1832, in Hunterdon Co., N. J.; late of Morris Co., N. J.; came
to Ogle Co., in 1868, and in the Fall of 187? commenced his present business; he is Director of the First National
Bank; married Martha P. Garritson, May 10, 1866, she was born Nov. 13, 1837, in Somers, Co., N. J.; have three
children Catherine G., John C. and Frederick W. ["The History
of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Craig, J. M. Rochelle.
Crandall, B. M. farmer; Sec.13, Rochelle.
Crawford, E. F. farmer, Sec. 7,
P. O. Rochelle; born July 16, 1832; in Putnam Co., N. Y.; in 1835 came with his parents to Steuben Co., and in
1858 to Flagg Tp.; married Harriet E. Denslow Dec. 11, 1861, daughter of Martin Denslow, who came to this Co. twenty-six
years ago, and died aged fifty-five years; her mother's maiden name was Harriet Clark, she was fifty-three years
old when she died; Mrs. C. was born in Mass. March 4, 1841; have one son, Edward M., born July 4, 1864; Mr. C.,
is a Republican member of the Red Ribbon Club. ["The History
of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Crawford, H. E., Rochelle.
Crawford, James, Farmer, Sec.
36; P. O. Rochelle; born Jan ?, 1809, in Franklin Co., Pa., which was Gen. Jackson's great day in defeating the
British at New Orleans; when about seventeen Mr. C. was apprenticed to learn the tanning trade and served two and
one half years; Mrs. C. owns 160 acres valued at $65 per acre; came to Ogle Co. Nov. 9 (rest of bio on page 655)
["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett &
Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Curry, Howard Montreville, St Paul (MN). Res 1005 Hague av, office Northern Pacific bldg. Railroad man. Born Jan 6, 1861, in Ogle county Ill, son of James D and Lodema (Kirk) Curry. Educated in public schools Freeport Ill. Accepted service with mechanical dept N P Ry Co at Brainerd Minn April 8, 1880; shop and engine man N P Ry 1880-91; road foreman of engines, headquarters Brainerd Minn 1891-1901; master mechanic Dakota and Yellowstone divs, headquarters Fargo N D 1901-1902; transferred to St Paul Minn divs as master mechanic, headquarters Staples Minn Dec 1, 1902; gen master mechanic territory east of Billings Mont, headquarters St Paul 1905 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
[Partial listing of Page 657 of the History of Ogle County]
DeCamp, A. F. merchant tailor; Rochelle.
Delaney, J., farmer; Sec 24; P. O. Rochelle.
Delaney, Michael, Rochelle.
Delaney, Thomas, clerk; Rochelle.
Delong, S. Laborer, Rochelle.
Denslow C. M. -- Farmer; Sec 7;
P. O. Rochelle; born Oct. 10, 1833, in Berkshire Co., Mass.; in 1841 came to Burlington, Conn., and Plainsville,
Conn.; in 1851 came to Ogle Co.; he owns 70 acres, valued at $50 per acre; married Alletta J.. Collier Feb. 27,
1861; she was born in Chemung Co., N. Y., April 2, 1843; had five children, two living: Albert M., born Nov. 18,
1865, and Fred, Nov. 2, 1875; has been School Director. ["The
History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Denslow, Edwin M. -- Farmer; Sec
7; P. O. Rochelle; born March 27, 1836, in Tolland, Mass.; came to Conn. with his parents in 1839, and in 1851
came to his present farm; he owns 80 acres, valued at $4,000; married Hester M. Collins Sept. 28, 1869; she was
born Feb. 8, 1843, in Bradford Co., Pa.; her mother was born Feb 7 1819, and lives at her homestead; her father
died there aged 59 years. ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois",
H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Denslow, Mrs. Susan C. -- Widow of Amos Denslow; Sec. 8; P. O. Kyte River; Mr. D. was born in Mass. March 23, 1810, and died Jan. 27, 1870; came to Ogle Co. in 1867; they were married June 1, '37, in Wayne Co., Pa; she was born Jan 4, 1820, in Litchfield, Conn.; she came with her parents to Orange Co., N. Y., in 1823; removed to Pa in 1829; in 1867 came to Ogle Co.; she owns 97 acres valued at $40 per acre; had five children, three living: Lewis F., born March 8, '38, Joseh O., April 23, '50, Ella A., Au. 24, '59; Joseph O is now teaching school. ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Doran, Thos. -- Laborer; Rochelle.
Dunkleberry G. -- farmer; Sec. 1; Rochelle.
Dunkleberry J. -- farm; Sec. 1; P. O. Rochelle.
Dummore, K., -- Rochelle
Earl, Henry -- Livery, etc.; on
Washington St.; born Feb. 16, 1837, in Genesee Co., N. Y.; came to Ogle Co. in 1846; engaged in farming till 1872;
since then livery business; married Agnes Reed Jan. 6, 1853; she was born in Scotland, Aug 2, 1838; have had two
children: Hulburt R. and Carrie; Hulburt R. died Jan 22, 1877. ["The
History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett & Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Eaton, Frank -- Rochelle.
Eaton, W. T. -- insurance agent; Rochelle.
Eiser Wm. -- Carpenter; Rochelle
Elder, A. J. -- Rochelle.
Ellinwood, Marvin T. of the firm
of Ellinwood & Scranton, dealers in hardware, stoves, etc., Washington Street, corner Brice; res. Corner Brice
and Lafay- (rest of bio continues on page 658) ["The History of Ogle County, Illinois", H. F. Kett &
Co., Times Building, 1878 - Submitted by Christy Kelso]
Gorham, Charles W.
HON. CHARLES W. GORHAM, though passing the greater part of his time at Olympia where his appointment and work as state printer calls him, is one of the leading citizens of Snohomish. As editor and proprietor of the Snohomish County Tribune and Index Miner, he is prominent in all local affairs. On locating in Snohomish, twelve years ago, he at once became an influential factor in local matters and this influence has extended from local to state affairs.
Mr. Gorham was born in New York city in 1865, the only child of L. S. C. and Mary E. (Craft) Gorham. The elder Gorham is a direct descendant of Miles Standish of Plymouth colony fame, the initial "S" being for the family name of the famous old knight of colonial fame.
In middle life Mr. Gorham removed to Waverly, Iowa, where he followed his trade as a painter; he afterwards went to South Dakota and farmed until his removal to the coast. L. S. C. Gorham was engaged in fruit raising near San Jose, California, until 1904; he then returned to Morganhill, where his death occurred May 15, 1906. Mrs. Gorham is a native of New York, of Huguenot stock. Charles W. Gorham received his education in Cornell College, Iowa, from which he was graduated in 1892. Soon after receiving his diploma he came to Snohomish, and in 1893 purchased the Tribune, continuing its policy as a Republican paper though altering its publication from a tri-weekly to a weekly. His activity and energy soon attracted attention and he speedily became recognized as a substantial factor in municipal and county affairs. He was chosen police judge and has also served as justice of the peace. In 1900 Mr. Gorham was elected representative in the state legislature, and soon after taking his seat appeared as the champion of good roads legislation which had as its essence a uniform system to be applied throughout the entire state. He became the author of the measure of that session which became a law, but which was declared by the courts to be technically unconstitutional. By the subsequent session the distinctive features of the Gorham bill were reenacted. During his career in the legislature Mr. Gorham was recognized as the leading authority on road law matters. In just recognition of his services to the party, Mr. Gorham was made assistant clerk of the house of representatives at the last session of the legislature, and soon after adjournment was appointed to the responsible position of state printer, receiving his commission on the 8th of April, 1905, since which date he has passed the greater part of his time in the state capital.
On June 6, 1901, Mr. Gorham married Miss Elsie E. West, a native of Illinois and the daughter of M. J. and M. E. (Waggoner) West. Mr. West is interested in the Leaf River Bank, at Leaf River, Illinois, of which institution his son, H. S., is cashier. Two children Harlan W. and Helen M. have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gorham. In politics Mr. Gorham is a Republican, active and influential in city, county and state. In fraternal circles he is a Mason, being a Knight Templar; is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Knights of the Maccabees. The Gorhams are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In addition to his newspaper interests, Mr. Gorham is a stockholder in the large mill now in process of building at Snohomish by the Cascade Lumber & Shingle Company, one of the largest concerns of the kind in the county and which is to be fully equipped with modern machinery. He has recently built a fine, handsome residence - one of the most attractive places in the city. As a newspaper man Mr. Gorham ranks with the leaders of thought and public opinion in the state, having served as president of the State Press Association and as its delegate to the national association which met at St. Louis, during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. In business Mr. Gorham has shown commercial ability of a high order, while in politics he has exhibited executive and legislative faculties quickly recognized. He is a man of energy and tact, well poised and commanding in influence and esteem. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]
Gregory, Joel Ernest, St Paul (MN). Res 877 Phalen av, office 608-609 Manhattan bldg.. Lawyer. Born Nov 2, 1872 in Polo Ill, son of William S and Helen E (Carll) Gregory. Educated in St Paul public schools 1892; U of M, BS 1896; law dept U of M, LL B 1898. Member state legislature session of 1903. Pres State Univ Rep Club 1896-98; delegate from univ and state to Nat League of Re Clubs at Cleveland O 1895; same at Omaha 1898. Member Dayton's Bluff Commercial Club St Paul; I O O F, Maccabees and Woodmen of the World. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 - Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
Long, William A.
The Longs migrated to Ogle county in 1851, and several of William's siblings remained in Ogle county. William and several of his brothers served in the Civil War from Ogle County.
Excerpt from "Memorial and Biographical Record, Compendium of Biography," Geo. A Ogle & Co., Publishers, Engravers and Book Manufacturers, Chicago, 1897:
William A. Long, well known as an old settler and one of Hutchinson countys skillful, practical and successful farmers, resides in section 23, township 98, range 58.
He is a son of Jonathan and Catherine (Adams) Long, both natives of Pennsylvania, and of French descent. They were the parents of six children, four of whom are still living, viz.: John A. of Spokane Falls, Washington, an old soldier; William A., the subject of this sketch; Jonathan A., living in Ogle County, Illinois, also a veteran of the war; and Sarah Yeager, who lives in Charles Mix county, South Dakota. Her husband is also an old soldier.
Our subject was born in Union County, Pennsylvania, June 15, 1841, and lived there until ten years of age. He then moved with his parents to Ogle county, Illinois, where he was educated and grew to manhood. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company H, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and as was sent to Alton, Illinois. During the first year of the war he operated under General Pope in Missouri. In 1862 he was put under General U. S. Grant and took part in the engagements at Fort Donelson and Shiloh. In the latter he received wounds from a musket ball in the left foot and in the right thigh, and was taken to the hospital at Mound City, Illinois. As a result of this he got a furlough, which he spent at home, and when he joined the regiment again it was at Memphis, Tennessee. From there he went to Vicksburg and took part in the engagements which culminated in the famous "Siege of Vicksburg." He then went to Jackson, Mississippi, under Division Commander General Laumann, where a very desperate charge was made but without success. The army then fell back to Vicksburg, and from there to Natchez, Mississippi. Prior to the last movement he was engaged in a battle at Hatchie, under General Hurlbut. From Natchez they marched up the Mississippi to Memphis, Tennessee and joined Shermans army. Mr. Longs term expired while he was at Huntsville, Alabama, and he returned to his home in Illinois. In 1865 he re-enlisted in Company K, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was appointed first sergeant of the company. They went to New York city and to Morehead City and then to Appomattox, where Lees army was forced to surrender. It was then his privilege to accompany the army to Washington, District of Columbia, and to participate in the "grand review." This division was then sent by rail to the Ohio river, then down the river to Cairo and up the Missouri to Leavenworth, Kansas. From there they marched to Fort Kearney, back again to Leavenworth, the to St. Joseph, Missouri, and to Springfield, Illinois, where he was mustered out in July, 1865.
Returning to his home in Ogle county, Illinois, he learned the potters trade, and after following that for three years, he began farming in the same county. In 1884 he moved to Dakota and settled on the prairie, the site of his present home. He is now nicely situated in a comfortable little house on a productive, well-improved farm of eighty acres.
Mr. Long was married in 1869 to Miss Mary C. Huff, a native of Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, and to this union have been born eleven children, six of whom are still living, viz. : Annie Dean, Theodosia Barth, Lyman A., living at home; Fannie Alice, Katie and Grace Melinda. Mr. and Mrs. Long are members of the Evangelical Association, and the children, with the exception of Lyman and Annie, have followed their parents example in selecting their place of worship. Lyman and Annie are members of the Free Methodist denomination.
Our subject is a man who commands respect wherever he is known. He is an old soldier and can look back over an honorable military career spent in trying to defend the Union. During those times he was a brave and true soldier, and served his country well and faithfully, as today he is a true and faithful citizen, and ably seconds all projects which tends to the protection and building up of the interests of the community in which he lives. He is a member of the G. A. R. post at Olivet and has held the position of senior vice commander of same. Politically he endorses the principles of the Republican party. [Submitted by Sara Hemp]
Mettler, Edgar W.
In a conspicuous place on the roll of Fergus County's (MT) successful members of the legal profession is found the name of Edgar W. Mettler, an excellent type of the alert, progressive and public-spirited citizen whose record is an indication that success is ambition's answer. During the period of his prominent connection with cases of important legal jurisprudence he has become more or less a familiar figure in the courts of the county, and especially in his home community of Lewistown, and no lawyer of the city has a better record for high and straightforward professional conduct or for success earned with honor and without animosity. Mr. Mettler was born on his father's farm in Ogle County, Illinois, April 15, 1876, a son of William J. and Selina H. (Roberts) Mettler. His father, born in New York State, died when seventy nine years of age; and his mother, a native of Connecticut, reached the age of seventy-seven years. They were the parents of two children: Minnie B., the wife of O. N. Phelps, and Edgar W. The Mettler family were pioneers of Illinois, and William J. Mettler was a mere child when he accompanied his parents from New York State to Winnebago County, in that community the family settling on United States Government land near what is now the thriving City of Rockford. There William J. Mettler grew to manhood, working on the homestead and securing his education in the public schools and subsequently moved to Ogle County, Illinois, where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer and stockraiser. He took a prominent part in democratic politics during his day, and for several terms was a member of the board of commissioners of Ogle County.
Edgar W. Mettler attended the public schools of Ogle County and in his youth assisted his father in the work of the home farm. It was not his intention, however, to lead an agricultural life, for he had become imbued with a desire for a career in the law, and, as he had not the means wherewith to pursue his studies, at the age of eighteen years he left the parental roof and secured employment in the Chicago general offices of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. Later he was employed by the First National Bank of Englewood at Chicago, and with the money earned in these positions paid his way through a course in Power & Orr's Business College and the Valparaiso (Indiana) University. Continuing to work at whatever employment of an honorable character presented itself, he managed to put himself through the law department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated with his cherished degree in 1903. At this time Mr. Mettler's funds were exhausted completely. Nearly every young lawyer must go through a probationary period while he is awaiting the business that will give his start in professional life, but Mr. Mettler was compelled to do something to pay for his living. Making his way to Chicago, after much anxious searching he came to an agreement with a firm to look after some of its legal business at Houston, Texas, to which city the young lawyer accordingly made his way. He had been admitted to the Michigan bar in March, 1903 and in the same year received permission to practice in Texas, where he remained for about two years. His business there satisfactorily concluded, January 3, 1905, he came to Helena, Montana, where he passed the examination for entrance to practice and was accepted. Subsequently he came to Lewistown, where he soon became associated in practice with H. Leonard DeKalb, under the firm name of DeKalb & Mettler, an association which continued until August, 1911. Mr. Mettler then practiced alone until 1915, when he formed a partnership with Jack Briscoe, as Mettler & Briscoe, but this was terminated in November, 1918, and Mr. Mettler has since practiced alone. He maintains offices in the Empire Bank Building, and his practice is large and important and constantly growing. He is a member of the county and state associations of his profession, in the ranks of which he is regarded as a skilled and thoroughly informed lawyer, and one who respects the ethics of the calling. He has served as police judge of Lewistown for a number of years, an office in which he has ever administered justice in an impartial manner according to the legal status of each case. Fraternally he is affiliated with Lewistown Lodge No. 456, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and Lewistown Lodge No. 3, Knights of Pythias. He exercises his right of franchise as a democrat.
Judge Mettler was married December 31, 1905, to Miss Faith Oldes, the sixth child in a family of six daughters and two sons born to B. C. and Editha (Hoagland) Oldes, the latter of whom died when she was forty years of age. B. C. Oldes, who was a native of Iowa, and died in September, 1917, at the age of seventy-four years, fought as a soldier during the Civil war. He was a member of the Sixteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was under the command of General Sherman when captured by the enemy and confined in the notorious Andersonville Prison, where he was held for nine months. Later, his military career finished, he took up farming in Missouri and then returned to Iowa, but finally settled in Montana as a pioneer farmer of Meagher (now Fergus) County, where he' spent the final days of his life. Mr. and Mrs. Mettler are the parents of two children, namely: Frank and Ruth R., both attending school. [Montana, Its Biography and History, Volume 2. Transcribed by Vicki Bryan]