Genealoogy Trails logo

Ogle County



Eugene C. Williams
Eugene C. Williams passed away at the Exchange hotel in Polo, last Saturday, Sept. 23. 1905, aged 54 years, 11 months and 27 days. He had been in poor health for many years but his last illness began just four weeks prior to his death when he suffered from a severe hemorrhage of the stomach while on the streets of Polo. All that medical skill could possibly accomplish was done for him but without avail. His death was expected for many days but he was of such a disposition that he was determined to get well and his great ambition was the means of prolonging his life for some time. It was only the day before his death that he gave up all hopes of getting well. Gastritis was the cause of his death. Eugene C. Williams was born September 26, 1850 at Mapleville, R. I. He was a direct descendant of Roger Williams, one of the founders of the Rhode Island colony. At the age of 6 years he came west with his parents, Seril and Maria Williams who settled at Rockford, Ill., and one year later moved to Freeport, Oct. 9, 1878 Mr. Williams was married to Miss Elizabeth V. Shoemaker of Polo, who passed away at Pasadena, Cal., March 4, 1904. They had no children. Mr. and Mrs. Williams continued to reside in Freeport where Mr. Williams followed the occupation of a photographer until 1881 when they moved to Eagle Point and engaged in farming on the Woodruff farm. Nineteen years ago he purchased a farm northeast of Polo where they lived for eight or nine years when he retired from farming to engage in the real estate business in Polo. After living in Polo for five or six years Mrs. Williams' health required a change of climate and they moved to Riverside, Cal., where Mr. Williams engaged in the real estate business and conducted an orange farm. They later moved to Pasadena where Mrs. Williams died March of last year. After his wife's death Mr. Williams came east again and after spending the summer of 1904 in mercantile business in Deer Park, Wis., he returned to Polo last fall and had a handsome Bungalow cottage in process of construction on West Colden street in this city at the time of his.......... (end of available data)
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Lemuel P. Shoemaker
Lemuel P. Shoemaker died at Melbourne, Fla., Monday, January 20, of consumption. The funeral was held Sunday morning at the United Brethren church, Polo. Mr. Shoemaker was born in Eagle Point, Jan. 26, 1847. With his patents he came to Polo in 1864, and this place has been his home since that time. About 1855 or '56 his father, the late Pearson Shoemaker, an early pioneer of Buffalo Grove, built the Orient Hotel, renting it to others until 1864, since which time until the last two years, Mr. Shoemaker was connected with that hotel and became popular with the traveling public by his genial, kindly attention to their wants. Last November he went to Florida in hope of relief, but even the balmy air of Florida failed to bring relief. His kindly face will be missed from our streets.
[1899 hand written date, Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Margaret Sheets
Died - At Belmond, Iowa, on Friday Nov. 27, 1891, Margaret Sheets, wife of David Sheets, at the age of 74 yrs. The funeral was held in the M. E. church, at Polo, Ill. and the remains laid to rest in the cemetery at that place. Mr. Sheets and his family were old residents of this place.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Mary Elizabeth Curtis Waterbury
Mary Elizabeth Curtis was the daughter of Edmund and Fannie Curtis and was born in the town of Lisle, Broome County, New York, May 6, 1836 and died at the old homestead in Eagle Point township, Thursday evening, October 13, 1904, aged 68 years, 5 months and 7 days. In an early day she came West with her parents, who settled in Ogle County, November 1, 1854, she was married to George W. P. Waterbury in the town of Buffalo, Ogle County. To this union were born four children, namely Mrs. Fannie P. Henderson, of Okarche, Oklahoma; Norman J., of Wichita, Kansas; Otis E., also of Wichita, Kansas and Victor N., who formerly resided in Hawley, Oklahoma, but who died about five years ago.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Polo: - Funeral services for George C. Kaufman Sr. who died at his home in Brandington, Fla., on Wednesday have been completed by the Brown-Seidel Funeral Home. Burial will be made in the Fairmont Cemetery, Polo, on Monday, April 21. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Monday in the Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo. Visitation will be held in the funeral home on Sunday evening from 7 to 9 p.m. with Masonic Rites at 8 p.m.
Sterling Gazette April 19, 1975 - Submitted by Melva L. Taylor]

Matilda Schell
Last Monday morning, March 2, 1908 word came to Polo that Mrs. Thomas T. Schell of Milledgeville, had passed away after a lingering illness of that dread disease cancer. While her friends were aware that she could not recover yet everything was done for her comfort that money and love could produce. While hard for the family and friends to give her up, and her death being a shock to her many friends in Polo, it was all made easier to bear by the fact of the loving and tender care of her friends. Mrs. Schell will be sadly missed, not only by her family but a large circle of warm personal friends in Milledgeville as well as Polo. The disease which caused her death had been wearing upon her vitality until the end came and put a stop to all her sufferings. Mrs. Matilda Schell was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, December 19, 1834, and joined the Lutheran church at an early age, remaining steadfast to the end. In the year 1855 she was married to Thomas T. Schell and to this union were born eight children, Wallace, Harvey, Warren, Regina, WIlliam, Lydia, Charles and Thomas. In 1866 they came from Pennsylvania to Illinois, which has been their home ever since. They first located on a farm one mile west of Polo, but later resided in Polo in the house now occupied by Mrs. George Brand, on North Division street removing to Milledgeville in the spring of 1884. In this place, or on the farm just east of that town, they devoted their lives to the cultivation of a large farm until August 5, 1904, when her husband died. The funeral services were held at the Lutheran church in Polo Thursday at one o'clock, conducted by Rev. Pau B. Holtgreve assisted by Rev. Paetznick. Interment in Fairmount cemetery.
Polo Visitor
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Wallace Schell
Wallace Schell, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Schell, was born in Lower Milford township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1856. He died at Dallas, Texas, January 12, 1908, at the age of 51 years, 5 months and 8 days. In the spring of 1866 he came to Ogle county with his parents and located on what is now the C. B. Noble farm one mile west of Polo. In 1869 the family took up their residence in Polo and for some years Wallace attended the public schools. In 1874 he began work in the Exchange National Bank and soon held the position of bookkeeper, where he did acceptable service for ten years. About this time he was making a reputation for himself as a man of unusual business ability. The large Deering Harvester Manufacturing company sought his services and he became their special collector. In the same capacity he also served the Weir Plow Company of Monmouth, Illinois, for a number of years. While employed by the last named firm he had his headquarters at Dallas, Texas. He was quick to see fine business opportunities and soon launched out for himself. For about fifteen years he carried on a real estate and loan business. He was remarkably successful in his chosen line. Those who knew him give him this testimony that he was industrious and competent - a man of fine business judgment and strict integrity. He was considered a careful and successful business man. In his manner he was quiet and unassuming. His many friends honored him for the noble traits of his character. In June 1897 he was married to Mrs. Bessie Kinkaid. He leaves his wife, mother, four brothers and two sisters to mourn over his sudden death. Funeral services are at the Lutheran church in Polo, Wednesday afternoon at one o'clock. Rev. Paul B. Holtgreve officiating and interment at Fairmount cemetery.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

ESTHER EMBRY - 97 of E. Buffalo, Polo died Saturday at KSB Hospital in Dixon. Funeral services will be Tuesday at 1:30 p.m at the Benson_Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo. Burial will be in Buffalo Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be today from 5-8 p.m with the family present from 6-8 p.m. ...... End of available data ....
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois -- February 15, 1988 - Monday, pg A2 - Submitted by Melva Taylor]

RUSSELL E. BROWN - 74, of 408 S. Maple, Polo, died Nov. 3, 1993 at his home. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Benson-Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo.
The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois November 4, 1993 - Thursday, pg A2 - Submitted by Melva Taylor]

AUDREY C. (Strauss) McPHERSON - 63, of Prophets Riverview Good Samaritan Center, Prophetstown, died Dec. 23, 1993, at Prophets Riverview Good Samaritan Center. Funeral services will be at 1:30 p.m. today at the Benson-=Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo, with the Rev. Lawrence Vaillancourt, pastor of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Polo, officiating. Burial will be at Fairmount Cemetery. There will be no visitation.
Mrs. McPherson was born Oct. 9, 1930 in Monroe, Wis., the daughter of Leroy and Hazel F. (Williams) Strauss. She had co-owned Mick's Tap in Polo for 20 years, had cooked for the Polo Lion's Club for 20 years, and was bookkeeper for Edgewood Golf Course and Charley's Pharmacy in Polo. She was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Polo, the Polo American Legion Ladies Auxiliary, and the Tuesday Evening Bridge Club. Survivors include one son, Patrick (Leslie) McPherson of Polo; her mother; and one brother, Edwin (Joan) Strauss of Polo. She was preceded in death by her husband Nov. 10, 1993; and her father.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois, December 24, 1993 - Friday, pg A2 - Submitted by Melva Taylor]

Chester K. Williams

Chester K. Williams, 1837
Early postmaster at Buffalo Grove
Ex-Mayor of Polo
Died Dec. 8, 1891
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Romanzo G. Shumway
Romanzo G. Shumway was born in what is now known as the city of Oberlin, Ohio, Feb. 12, 1832. He died at his home in Polo, Ill., Mar. 30, 1908, aged 76 years, 1 month and 18 days. He is survived in his immediate family by his wife, Mrs. Eugenia M. Shumway and two daughters, Mrs. Anna Wagner of Green Bay, Wis., and Mrs. Lucia Suffel of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and besides these, two brothers, R. B. Shumway of New Milford, Ill., and R. H. Shumway of Rockford, Ill. Mr. Shumway's parents were David and Sally (Greely) Shumway, natives of Vermont. An earlier ancestor Peter Shumway founded the family in Massachusetts in 1665. Mr. Shumway's parents came west soon after their marriage, settling first in Ohio and afterwards in Winnebago county, Ill., near the city of Rockford, where they located on a farm in the year 1836.

Here Mr. Shumway was reared to manhood receiving his education in the schools of that vicinity. Mr. Shumway started out for himself early in life, being first a clerk in a drugstore at Rockford and afterwards holding the same position in a dry goods store in Dixon, Ill., coming to Milledgeville and engaging in the drug business in 1855. He was married to Miss Eugenia M. Palmer, daughter of Dr. W. K. Palmer on Oct 17, 1855. Three daughters were born to this union, two of whom survive, the eldest having been laid to rest Mar. 30, 1892. The Shumway family moved from Milledgeville to Polo in November 1871 where they have since resided. Mr. Shumway began his business career in Milledgeville where the foundation of his large fortune was laid. While living here he held the offices of postmaster, supervisor and school treasurer. It was here also that his religious activities began, which afterwards became so marked a feature of his life, uniting with the M. E. church in 1868. He maintained his interest in Milledgeville affairs to the last, cherishing always a warm feeling for the scenes of his early business activities. His kindly greeting and the friendly interest he always manifested, as he came among us from time to time. will be sorely missed but long remembered by us all, especially the older portion of this community. Before his removal to Polo in 1871 he assisted in the organization of the First National Bank at Lanark, Ill., and was its first president. After going to Polo banking became his main business for the rest of his life. With increasing wealth the field of his operations was extended and banks were established at Fergus Falls, Minn., Freeport, Ill., Green Bay, Wis., and at many other smaller places, including the bank at Milledgeville. Mr. Shumway was an eminently successful man. The contributing factors were mainly his fine business ability, his excellent judgment, his unswerving fidelity to the trusts reposed in him and his absolute honesty. These qualities and many others which he possessed caused a wide and favorable recognition and made him a valuable counselor and adviser. His life should be an inspiration to all young men who come within the sphere of its influence as proving that success may yet be obtained by honorable methods. He leaves a good name which is more to be prized than his wealth. In his death the communities in which his work was done lose a Christian gentleman, an upright citizen and a successful business man, his family a devoted husband and loving father. He leaves a host of friends who will long remember him for his friendly interest, his kind deeds and benefactions.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Born: 26 Feb. 1868 in Mt. Morris, Ogle County, Illinois
Died: 2 Feb. 1935 in Velva, McHenry, North Dakota
From the Velva Journal: 7 February 1935

August Bearman taken by Death.
Resident of McHenry County for a quarter of century taken by death on Saturday. Had been a resident of Velva for seventeen years. Death claimed August Bearman at his home in this city Saturday, February 2, after an illness which extended over a period of several weeks with a heart affliction, complicated with Bright's Disease. Mr. Bearman had not been in good health for the past twi years when he was severly injured by being run down on the highway by an automobile.
Deceased was born in Mt. Morris, Ill. in February 1868, and was 67 years old at the time of his death. He lived in the Mt. Morris section until 1909 when he came with his family to McHenry County, settling first at Granville and in 1918 moving to Velva where he has made his home since. In 1891 in Mt. Morris he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Shipman, a sister of Charles Shipman of north Prairie, and to this union 4 sons and 1 daughter were born. They are: Ben and Jesse of Velva, John of Mt. Morris, Edward of Enderlin, and Mrs. Ed Rolene of Velva. Aside from his wife and children he is survived by 28 grandchildren and one great grandchild. He is also survived by four brothers and three sisters, all of whom reside in Illinois except one who lives in Minnesota.
In his early years of life Mr. Bearman was much interested in horse racing and this interest he maintained throughout his later life. He was a poultry farmer and took great pride in his flock of White Wyandotte chickens. As a boy Mr. Bearman was confirmed in the Lutheran Church.
Funeral services were held this (Thursday) afternoon at the Nazarene Church with Rev. C. B. Prine, a neighbor for many years, officiating. Interment was made at the Velva Cemetery.
Friends join at this time in extending to members of the family sincere sympathy in their bereavement.
[Submitted by Collette Jensen]

Born: 5 May, 1835 in Waldeck, Germany
Died: 28 Dec. 1917 in Mt. Morris, Ogle County, Illinois
Mt. Morris Index, January 3, 1918

Was born in Germany and came to this country when 19 years old.
Good woman was resident of Mount Morris over half century-Member Lutheran Church
In the passing of Mrs. Augusta Lohafer, whose death occurred Friday morning, December 28, 1917, at the home of her son, Henry Bearman, in Mount Morris, the community has lost one of its most estimable citizens who has lived in this township for the long span of 58 years.
The death of Mrs. Lohafer was hastened through a fall she received December 18, in which she was quite painfully injured, pneumonia later developing which her extreme age could not withstand.
Mrs. Lohafer was born in Waldeck, Germany, May 5, 1835, and death came at the age of 82 years, 7 months, and 23 days. At the age of 19 years with her father, her mother having previously passed away, she came to America in 1854, the family locating in Stephenson County, Ill, near Freeport. Following her marriage to Frederick Bearman, March 11, 1856, removal was made to a farm northwest of Mount Morris which remained the family home for over half a century. There were twelve children born to them, eight whom survive. Frederick, one of the older children, died at his home in Mount Morris in May last. Those surviving are Hiram, Henry, and Frank Bearman and Mrs. Minnie Floto residing in Mount Morris; William Bearman and Mrs. Louise Schelling, Leaf River, Ill; August Bearman, Granville, N. Dak., and Mrs. Dora Floto, Canby, Minn. There are also thirty-one grandchildren and thirteen great-grandchildren. Mr. Bearman departed this life April 7, 1886.
Her second marriage to Frederick Lohafer occurred February 23, 1898, who died in 1900.
Mrs. Lohafer became a member of the Lutheran Church in girlhood. Through all her long life she remained a conscientious Christian woman who was devoted to the welfare of her children and grandchildren. She was a kindly neighbor and she was ever held in the greatest esteem by all her many friends as well as sharing in a marked degree the love and affection of her sons and daughters.
The funeral service was held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Evangelical Church in Adeline. Rev. H. E. Zimmerman, pastor of the Lutheran Church at Mount Morris, giving the funeral discourse, assisted by Rev. Heffle of Adeline.
Interment was made in the family lot at the cemetery at Adeline.
[Submitted by Collette Jensen]

Born: 21 Aug. 1872 in Forreston, Rockford County, Illinois
Died: 26 March 1936 in Velva, McHenry, North Dakota
From the Velva Journal: 2 April 1936

Well known Velva woman died suddenly at her home here Thursday of last week.
Funeral Services held Tuesday at Velva Cemetery.
Death came suddenly to Mrs. August Bearman at her home in Velva Thursday of last week following a heart attack. She had been in fairly good health and her sudden death came as a shock to family and friends.
Funeral services were held from the Nazarene Church in this city Tuesday with Rev. C. B. Prine officiating. Burial was in the Velva Cemetery beside the grave of her late husband, who passed away in Feb. 1935.
Mrs. Bearman is survived by four sons and one daughter. They are Ben of the Velva Community, Jesse of Drake, Edward of Enderlin, John of Oregon, Illinois, and Mrs. Ed Rolene of the Velva community. She is also survived by 28 grandchildren and one great grandchild. Charles Shipman of North Prairie is a brother. Another brother resides in Iowa, and a sister in Nebraska.
Mrs. Bearman (Mary Shipman) was born in Forreston, Illinois in 1871. She grew in womanhood in that state and in 1891 was united in marriage to Mr. Bearman. In 1909 the family came to McHenry County settling first in Granville section and in 1918 moved to Velva which has been the family home since.
Friends join in extending members of the family sincere sympathy in their bereavement.
[Submitted by Collette Jensen]

Born: 10 July 1863 in Mt. Morris Township, Illinois
Died: 30 Jan 1930 in Oregon Hospital, Illinois

Susan E., daughter of Lawrence and Louisa Wallace was born in Mt. Morris Township, July 10, 1863. She died at the Oregon Hospital Jan 30, 1930. Her age at death was 66 years, 6 months and 20 days. Her whole life was spent in the community in which she was born and in which her home was located when she died.
On Feb 19, 1885, she was united in marriage to Henry Bearman. To this union four children were born, Mrs. Henry Garkey of Chana, Mr. Chas. Bearman, Mt. Morris, Mrs. Charles Gibbs, Forreston, Ill., and Mrs. Muller of Racine, Wisconsin. Besides their children there are eight grandchildren and two brothers. The brothers are Mr. L. A. Wallace of Three Forks, Montana, and Mr. J. I. Wallace of Aurora, Ill.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Ford, Mrs. Bearman along with her husband united with the Lutheran Church in Mt. Morris, now Trinity Church. Since that time she has been a constant follower of the Lord. Her faith seems to shine the brightest amidst the clouds that lowered to darken her last days on earth. Her suffering was surely a glorious preparation for that day "that knows no setting of the sun".
[Submitted by Collette Jensen]

Born: 17 Dec 1859 in Forreston, Illinois
Died: 16 June 1946 in Mt. Morris, Ogle County, Illinois

Henry D. Bearman Summoned June 16 at the age of 87 years.
Funeral services were held last Thursday for Henry D. Bearman, a lifelong resident of Mt. Morris and vicinity and one of our communities oldest native citizens, who died Monday of last week at the home of his son Charles, northwest of town.
The rites at Trinity Lutheran Church were in charge of Rev Paul Bollman, pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Oregon and burial was made in Oakwood Cemetery.
In frail health for several years Mr. Bearman's last illness extended for a period of over 5 months, during a part of which time he was hospitalized.
Coming from sturdy pioneer stock, Mr. Bearman as a youth helped to cut virgin timber from ground which was later developed some of the finest farming land in this area. He was recognized as one of the best farmers in this section and through hard labor and close application to his chosen vocation became well known as one of the communities most successful land owners.
Fair and honest in his dealings, Mr. Bearman was one of our most highly regarded citizens, and despite the fullness of his life, news of his death was received with genuine sorrow by a large circle of friends.
The son of Fredrick and Augusta Bearman, he was born near Forreston Dec 17, 1859 and at death was 87 years, 6 months of age. He grew to manhood near his birthplace and on Feb 19, 1885 he was united in marriage to Susan E. Wallace of Forreston. After farming for 34 years Mr. and Mrs. Bearman moved to Mt. Morris in 1919 but returned to the homeplace 4 ½ miles west of town in 1924. Mrs. Bearman died in 1929, following which Mr. Bearman continued to reside with his son Charles, for the remainder of his life.
Besides the son, he is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Henry Garkey of Daysville, Mrs. Charles Gibbs of Mt. Morris, Mrs. Abe Deacon, Rockford, also eight grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
[Submitted by Collette Jensen]

Mrs. Ber Dena Belle (John J.) Swalve died Sunday at her home after an extended illness.
She was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Forreston and the United Methodist Women. With her husband, she farmed in the Forreston-Shannon area until moving to Forreston in 1963.
Born Feb 6, 1904, in Ogle County, she was the daughter of Jacob and Anna Tempel Daniels. She married John J. Swalve March 8, 1928, in Shannon.
Surviving are her husband; one daughter, Mrs. Carol (Gene) Fluegel of Lena; two sons, Virgil of Shannon and Lowell of Forreston; two sisters, Sylvia Henze of Freeport and Ver Dena Artman of Shannon; eight grandchildren and one great grandchild.
She was preceded in death by three sisters and two grandchildren.
Service will be 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at First United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Thomas C. Harmon, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in White Oak Cemetery, Forreston.
Friends may call from 4 to 5:30 and 6:30 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Burke-Tubbs Funeral Home, Forreston.
["Freeport Journal Standard" - Submitted By Linda Sturtevant Irwin]

John J. Swalve, 83, Forreston, died Friday morning Feb. 28, (1986), at his home of an apparent heart attack.
Until moving to Forreston in 1963, he farmed in the Forreston-Shannon area.
He was a member of First United Methodist Church, Forreston and the Forreston Community Club and Lions Club. Swalve also was a member of the Ogle County Farm Bureau and received the Golden Award for 50 years membership.
Born on Feb. 20, 1903, near Forreston, he ws the son of John and Hamina (Hummers) Swalve. He married Ber Dena Belle Daniels March 8, 1928, in Shannon. She died Oct. 16, 1983.
Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Carol (Gene) Fluegel of Lena; two sons, Virgil of Shannon and Lowell of Forreston; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by five brothers, four sisters, and two grandchildren.
Service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Monday at First United Methodist Church with the Rev. Robert Watson, officiating. Burial will be in White Oak Cemetery, Forreston.
Friends may call from 2 to 4 and 6 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Burke-Tubbs Funeral Home, Forreston.
["Freeport Journal Standard" - Submitted By Linda Sturtevant Irwin]

LAWRENCE PARRIN - of 612 E. Colden St., Polo, died Monday evening at the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, following a long illness. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at the Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo, with Rev. Paul Olson, pastor of the Emmanual United Methodist Church, officiating. Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery, Polo. Visitation is from 7-8:30 p.m. at the funeral home. A memorial has been established in his memory.
Mr. Parrin was born Jan. 5, 1901 in North English, Iowa, the son of Jonathan and Katie (Kolosik) Parrin. He was united in marriage to Elizabeth Dauphin on Dec. 13, 1951 in Savanna. He was a veteran of World War II and American Legion Post of Polo. He was a graduate of Moline Barber College and operated a barbershop in Polo for 24 years before retiring.
He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; one daughter, Mrs. Jerry (Betty) Opp of Forreston; two grandchildren; two great grandchildren; one brother, Jess Parrin of Williamsburg, Iowa, and four sisters, Mrs. Francis Sojka of Washington, Iowa; Mrs. Olive Miller of Wellsman, Iowa; Mrs. Gladys Maines of Fairfield, Iowa and Mrs. Cora Bru of Santa Clara, California.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois February 3, 1981 - Tuesday, pg A4 - Submitted by Chris Walters]

Yorktown Man Dies In Chicago - Rob't Owen Succumbs After Several Months' Illness
Yorktown: - Robert Owen, a resident of this community almost all of his life, passed away at a Chicago hospital at 6 o'clock Thursday morning. Mr. Owen had not been well for several months. He was taken seriously ill about a week ago while working with a dredging company in Iowa, and was removed to a hospital in Chicago, where he had been bedfast until death came to relieve his suffering. Mr. Owen was born in Greenville Township, Bureau County, May 11, 1897, the son of Harvey and Mary Owen.
One son Donald and one daughter passed away in infancy. A sister Florence preceded him in death.
The remains will be brought to the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Thompson in Yorktown, the latter being a cousin of the decedent. Funeral services will be held from the New Bedford Christian Church at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Rev. Kerns of Walnut conducting the rites. Burial will be in the
Fairfield-Greenville Cemetery.
[The Sterling Daily Gazette, Sterling, Illinois, September 29, 1932 - Thursday, pg 2 - Submitted by Chris Walters]

Alex B. Tempel
Al B. Tempel, 79, Polo resident for 26 years and former Brookville township farmer, died Tuesday at 8:15 p.m. in his home here. He had been ill for a long time. Born near Shannon, Jan 10, 1872, he was the son of Ben and Dena (Trei) Tempel. On Feb. 14, 1901, he married in Brookville township to Miss Emma F. Garman. The couple farmed 24 years in the township before retirement. Surviving besides the widow are three sisters, Mrs. Ben (Maggie) Buisker of Forreston, Mrs. Jake (Annie) Daniels, of Shannon, and Mrs. Harry (Berdena) Boeke of Freeport. Services will be held Friday at 1:45 p.m. in the Melvin funeral home, Polo, and at 2 p.m. in St. Mark's Lutheran Church here. Dr. K. E. Irvin will officiate. Interment will be in Fairmount cemetery, Polo.
[Hand written date on newspaper clipping, (death) March 6, 1951 - Submitted By Linda Irwin]

Emma Tempel
Mrs. Alex (Emma F.) Tempel died Thursday in a Dixon public hospital.
She was born Jan 19, 1881, in Brookville, the daughter of Daniel and Rebecca Conrad Garman. She married Alex Tempel Feb. 14, 1901. They farmed in the Polo area before moving into town. Mrs. Tempel was one of 12 children. The only survivor is a brother, Charles Garman of Shannon. Service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in St. Mark's Lutheran Church with the Rev. Allan Juenger, pastor officiating. Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery. Friends may call in the Brown-Seidel Funeral Home from 7 tonight until noon Saturday.
[Hand written date on newspaper clipping (death) Nov. 8, 1962 - Submitted By Linda Irwin]

Dennis L. Bausman
Dennis L. Bausman, 48, lifelong Oregon resident died Friday, Dec. 17, 2010 at KSB Hospital. Dennis was born Jan. 4, 1962 in Freeport, the son of Delvin and Donna (Smith) Bausman. He attended Oregon schools. Before his illness, Dennis was employed by E.D. Etnyre, Oregon. He enjoyed building model cars, campfires, and horseshoes and loved the band "Boston". He is survived by his sisters, Debbie (Mike) Wiginton of Oregon, Laura (Donald) Giedd of Dixon, Jolene (Bruce) MacDougall of Durand and Brenda (Randy) Carr of Oregon; his special friend, Nancy Grahm of Oregon; his nieces and nephews; an dhis dogs, Max and Lady. He was preceded by his parents. A memorial service will be at 7 pm Tuesday at Farrell-Holland_Gale Funeral Home, Oregon with Pastor Rich Fassig of Lighthouse/ Chana United Methodist Church officiating. Visitation will be at 6 pm Tuesday at the funeral home. A memorial has been established.

[Unknown newspaper, Contributed by Laura Giedd]

Mrs. Eugene Williams
Mrs. Eugene Williams, who was a former resident of Polo, died Friday, March 4th, 1904, at her home in Pasadena, California. The remains, accompanied by her husband, arrived in Polo Tuesday evening. The funeral services will be held from the home of her sister, Mrs. J. B, Buswell, in Polo, Thursday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock. Full obituary will be given next week.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Elizabeth Hunt
Pneumonia contracted last Sunday following an attack of the flu proved fatal to Mrs. Elizabeth Hunt, well known Polo woman. Mrs. Hunt passed away at 7 o'clock Friday night.
Mrs.Hunt, who was 75 last August, was the widow of Horace B. Hunt, prominent Polo druggist for more than 45 years. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt were married March 3, 1881, he preceded her in death Jan. 10, 1930. One daughter, Miss Jennie Hunt, at home and one sister, Mrs. D. S. Horton of Dixon, survive.
Funeral services will be held from the Lutheran Church at 2:30 o'clock Monday afternoon, Rev. Carl Kammerer conducting the rites. Interment will be in Fairmount Cemetery.
[The Sterling Daily Gazette, Sterling, Illinois, March 26, 1932 - Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Lydia Shafer
LYDIA A. (Rudisill) SHAFER -- 88, died at 10 p.m. last night at her apartment in the Parkside Hotel where she had resided for a number of years. She had been in ill health for some time. The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Rudisill, Mrs. Shafer was born Jan. 12, 1866, at Georgetown, Pa. She was married to George Shafer in 1883 and they farmed in the Polo-Brookville area until his death in 1933. Mrs. Shafer is survived by two children, Henry Shafer and Mrs. Josephine Summers; six grandchildren, 16 great grandchildren and a half-sister, Mrs. Lizzie Myers, Sioux Falls, S.D. Her husband, a son Frank, and a grandchild preceded her in death. The Rev. Ira Wilson of Emanuel EUB Church will conduct funeral services at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Melvin Funeral home. Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 p.m. tonight. Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois March 2, 1954 - Tuesday, pg 2- Sub by Melva L. Taylor ]

Mary Hart Quest
Mary Hart Quest, wife of Wm. L. Quest died at her home in Eagle Point, Wednesday evening, Jan. 31st, 1893, aged 64 years, 3 months, 13 days. She was born in Alleghany City, Pa. Became a member of the M. E. Church, in 1846 and was married to W. C. Quest, Oct. 14th, 1848. Ten children were the fruit of this union, nine of whom are living. Ten years after their marriage they came to Illinois. She was devoted to her family and her sacrifices in caring for an invalid sister-in-law for many years shows her spirit of self sacrifice to all. Her sickness was not supposed to be of a serious character until a few days before her death. the funeral services were held at the Brick Church, Eagle Point, Rev. Mailley officiating.
[Undated Scrapbook clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Paul Quest
...........son of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Quest, was born ............. and died January 23, 1908 aged five months and 20 days. After a brief service at the house at 10 o'clock a.m. the funeral procession started on its way to the Brick church and arrived there at 1 o'clock where the funeral services were in charge of Rev. L. P. Wattington . Interment was made in the Brick church cemetery. The pall bearers were Virgil McCombs, Arman Merriam, Forest Pittman and _lyde Woolard.
Jesus called our baby from us, Our darling little Paul, Just a flower to bloom in Heaven, As an angel with Christ, our all.
[Undated, faded scrapbook clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Eugenia Shumway
We are called upon at this time to chronicle the end of a long and well spent life, passed in the service of others. While the death of Mrs. Shumway is a sad blow to many and will apparently retard the advancement of many noble causes in which she was interested, yet her life was filled with loving thoughts and acts and she could truly have said "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." And though her death brings great sorrow it seems very beautiful and fitting that she should so soon join the husband with whom she spent more than fifty-two happy years and who was called to his eternal home only about six weeks before her death. Mrs. Shumway had been in poor health for several months but two weeks spent recently with her daughter, Mrs. Wagner, at Green Bay, Wisconsin, seemed to prove very beneficial to her and it was thought that she might regain her health. Sunday morning, May 10, as she was preparing for church she was taken with an acute attack of peritonitis and grew rapidly worse until Friday afternoon at about three o'clock when she passed away. During her last illness she suffered greatly but was conscious most of the time and recognized her daughters and others who were at her bedside constantly. In spite of her intense suffering, she was as always, absolutely unselfish and thoughtful for others. The last words that she spoke while conscious were a message to her grandchildren, Perry and Eugenia Wagner. She said to her son-in-law, Mr. Wagner, "Tell them I want them to be good and worthy." Eugenia M. Palmer was a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. W. K. Palmer and was born at Aurora, Illinois, March 4, 1839. Her parents were natives of Canada but were pioneers of Illinois, coming to Aurora at a time when only one white family was living there. At the age of ten she moved with her parents to Milledgeville, Illinois, where he father was a practicing physician for many years and where she taught school for a short time. On October 17, 1855, Eugenia Palmer was united in marriage to Romanzo G. Shumway, at the home of the bride in Milledgeville. In 1871 they came to Polo to make their home and had resided here since that time. Mr. and Mrs. Shumway were permitted to travel life's pathway together for more than fifty-two years. They were unusually happily mated. Mr. Shumway's excellent business ability and judgment were the means of his amassing considerable wealth which both himself and his wife with their kindly impulses took pleasure in using for the furtherance of many a good work. Mrs. Shumway was a woman of very beautiful character. Since her youth she had been an earnest Christian, wonderfully devoted to her church and every branch of its work using her influence and her means abundantly to carry forward the work. Her beautiful and kindly disposition made her loved by all. No matter how great her trouble or her suffering she was always ready to give a helping hand to one in need. Her gentle, kindly attitude toward all, at time when others would have held themselves aloof, endeared her greatly to everyone who knew her. She will be sadly missed but her influence for good cannot die and the lives which she has helped in so many ways cannot but be better for her helpful influence upon them. Mrs. Shumway was especially interested in missions and gave much of her time and money for that work. With the exception of three years, she was district president of the Woman's Home Missionary Society of Freeport district from the time of its organization in August, 1893, until the district was disbanded about a year and a half ago. She was president of the Polo M. E. Woman's Home Missionary society since its organization in January 1894 until her death. She was also district president of the Foreign society for two years; a staunch supporter of both the home and foreign work. Her money made it possible for her to do untold good in that line of work and though her death seems a great discouragement to her co-workers, her help will not cease for she had made provisions for the furtherance of the work after her death. She was extremely anxious to hear the report of Miss Katherine Bassett who had spent three weeks at the Indian Mission school in New Mexico. Mrs. Shumway was interested in erecting new buildings for the work there but was unable to talk to Miss Bassett when she returned on Friday. The temperance cause was another work which Mrs. SHumway gave her hearty support. She had been a member of the W.C.T.U. for many years and was always active and helpful in that organization. For a time she was corresponding secretary for the Polo Union and at the time of her death was superintendent of evangelistic work. For fourteen years she was superintendent of the M. E. Sunday school. When others would have been idle and indolent, Mrs. Shumway was always busy extending a helping had to those in need and carrying forward the work of her Master. Her life was nobly spent and while we sorrow for her we must rejoice that she has come to her reward. There remain to mourn her death two daughters, Mrs.W. P. Wagner of Green Bay, Wisconsin, and Mrs. F. H. Suffel of Minneapolis, Minn. One daughter, Clara, died sixteen years ago. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Washington Knox of Hazelhurst. Funeral services were held MOnday afternoon at two o'clock at the M. E. church and were conducted by Dr. A. E. Saunders, assisted by Dr. J. H. More. Although the weather was extremely inclement the church was filled with sorrowing and sympathizing friends. The choir sang appropriate hymns and Mr. H. H Williams of Chicago sang a beautiful solo. Dr. More offered prayer and Rev. Saunders rea Psalms 23 and 34 which were the last passages read to Mrs. Shumway during her conscious moments. For his text Rev. Saunders took the first part of the eighth verse of the fourteenth chapter of Mark, "She hath done what she could." His sermon was a beautiful tribute to the character and the Christ-like life of the departed and an exhortation for all to follow her example and surrender entirely to Christ. He said that her wealth, her opportunities and her education made her one of the best and noblest Christian characters it has been his pleasure to come in contact with during his twenty years in the ministry. She was a magnificent illustration of what Christ can make of a life surrendered fully to him. She was esteemed so highly and loved so well because of her beautiful character which was the result of a lifetime of development under the influence of the holy spirit. We can never forget her kindliness, her gentleness, her evenness of temper, her sweet disposition. She did what she could to develop her mind. She was conversant with literature and with every current topic. Her busy mind was teeming with plans for furthering the highest good of her fellow men. Especially she gave her heart to the cause of missions. She followed the missionary to the foreign land and knew so well the conditions and the surroundings he must meet there. Every new book on the subject of missions was read and studied until it became a part of her being. Rev. Saunders spoke of Mrs. Shumway's faith in her Savior so often expressed and of her triumphant going home with her hand on her open Bible pointing to the fifth verse of the twenty-seventh Psalm. The Missionary societies to which Mrs. Shumway belonged attended the services in a body. The pall bearers were Harvey Antrim, Chas. Lindemann, H. L Guyer, John W. McIlnay and Charles Winders. She was laid to rest in Fairmount cemetery. Persons in attendance at the funeral from out of town were:
Rockford: R. H. Shumway, R. B. Shumway, Harry Shumway, Mr. and Mrs. M. R. Shumway, Mrs. R. H. Shumway, Jr., Mrs. F. E. Catlin, Mrs. LeRoy Shumway.
Hazelhurst: Mrs. G. W. Knox, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Knox
Green Bay, Wisconsin: Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Wagner, Perry and Eugenia Wagner
Minneapolis, Minn.: Mr. and Mrs. F. H. SUffel
Milledgeville: H. C. Knox, Hon. D. C. Busell, Mrs. Russell, Mrs. Wolfe, Homer Olmsted, J. F. Greenawalt, Mrs. George Hubbard, U. M. Cantrall
Mt. Morris: Mrs. B. E. McNeill, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Rice, Mrs. Major Newcomer, Mrs. Harry Cushing.......
end of obit missing
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping, Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Velva Chriss
VELVA (Smith) RUBENDALL CHRISS - 92, a longtime resident of Polo, died Monday, Dec. 17, 2007, at the Grand Victorian assisted living facility, 3495 McFarland Road, Rockford, where she lived following the death of her husband, Samuel D. Chriss, in January 2005. Born on Dec. 19, 1914 in Moss, Tenn., the daughter of Henry and Texann Smith, she spent much of her childhood in Mitchell, Ind. During her early years, tuberculosis swept through her family, killing four of her brothers, Shelvy, Delvy, Adous and Bugg Smith, while she was bedridden for three years before overcoming the disease. Upon recovering, she moved to Polo to be near her sister, Pluma Love. In 1938, she married Raphael Rubendall, a professional meat cutter. The couple operated a meat market in Morrison, where she gave birth to a son, Bennie, in 1941. They then moved back to Polo, where she gave birth to their second son, Duane, in 1944. During the 1940s they operated a grocery store in Brookville before returning to Polo in the late 1940s. From 1954 to 1962, she was employed as a cook in the Polo schools, serving as chief cook in the high school cafeteria until the death of her husband, Raphael, in 1962. She then became a licensed beautician, working in Dixon and a beauty school instructor working in Freeport, prior to marrying Samuel Chriss, a business agent for Operating Engineers Local 150, on Dec. 19, 1965, in Polo. Following their retirement, they spent many winters in Bradenton, Fla., where she was a state shuffleboard champion.
Survivors include sons, Bennie (Susan) Rubendall of Rockford, and Duane (Anne) Rubendall of Sycamore; granddaughter, Renee (Doug) Huntman of Anchorage, Alaska; grandson, David Rubendall of DeKalb; great grandson, Zachary Huntman of Anchorage, Alaska; cousin, Roger (Peggy) Love of Spanish Fort, Ala.; and her late husband's brother, Collin (Marge) Chriss of Freeport.
She was a member of Emmanuel United Church, Polo.
Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, 2007 at Polo Family Funeral Home, 110 E. Dixon St., Polo. Visitation will be one hour before the service at the funeral home.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois December 18, 2007 - Tuesday, pg A2 - Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Isaac Nutt
Overcome by the heat while in Byron Monday, June 26, Isaac Nutt, 65, well known Ogle county farmer, died early Tuesday at his home in Rockvale township, northeast of Mount Morris. Dr. J. D. Akins of Forreston, Ogle county coroner, conducted an investigation Wednesday. Mr. Nutt was stricken in a Byron farm implement store and fell to the floor. He was removed to his home by a son, Roy Nutt, after receiving first aid treatment in Byron. Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the home. Burial was in Milledgeville cemetery. Born in Morrison Feb. 7, 1862, Mr. Nutt was married March 9, 1893, to Miss Susie Pasco. Besides his widow, he leaves six sons, Raymond and Roy, both at home, Willard, Polo, Forreston, Henry and Russell, all of Leaf River, and three daughters, Mrs. Cora Brown, Leaf River, Mrs. Viola Finkboner, Freeport and Mrs. Lena Bowers, residing in Wisconsin.
[Freeport Journal Standard - 1933 - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

James Vacek
JAMES VACEK - 47, of 309 W. Main St., Mt. Morris, died Friday at KSB Hospital, Dixon. Funeral services were at 10:30 a.m. today at Benson-Brown-Seidel Funeral Home, Polo, with the Rev. Richard Bright officiating. Burial was at Brick Church Cemetery, Polo. There was no visitation.
Mr. Vacek was born Jan. 16, 1943, in Minneapolis, Minn., the son of Adolph and Mary (Suter) Vacek. He married Mary Kay Sarber March 20, 1976 in Dixon. He was a veteran, serving in the U.S. Navy in Vietnam. He was employed for 24 years with Echo Lab Pest Control. He was a member of Mt. Morris Moose Lodge and Mt. Morris VFW.
He is survived by his wife; his mother, Mary Vacek, Montevideo, Minn.; three sons, Daniel and Kevin Vacek, Dixon; Todd, Mt. Morris; one step-son, Troy Ewens, Mt. Morris; one sister, Barbara (Dan) Hoctorne, Minneapolis. He was preceded in death by his father.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois October 15, 1990 - Monday, pg A2 - Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Margaret Ulrich
MARGARET (Ripley) ULRICH - 88, of Hayden, Idaho, formerly of Rock Falls, died Friday, Aug. 8 2003 at Kootenal Medical Center, Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. She was an occupational therapist and worked various jobs and also was employed by the Head Start Foster Grandparent Program as a teacher's aide.
Mrs. Ulrich was born June 19, 1915 in Milledgeville, the daughter of Willis and Grace (Short) Ripley. She was a 1932 graduate of Milledgeville High School. She received certified nurse's aide training. She was of the Seventh Day Adventist faith. She married Fred Edwin Ulrich on July 15, 1933, in Dixon. He preceded her in death. She was an avid reader and collected porcelain dolls.
Survivors include a daughter, Barbara J. Henson of Hayden, Idaho; three sons, Jerry J. Ulrich, Joel J. Ulrich and Steven L. Ulrich, all of Hayden, Idaho; two sisters, Bernice Harting of Georgia and Bethel McBride of Sterling; two brothers, Donald Ripley of Rock Falls and Max (Virgina) Morley of Rockford; 21 grandchildren; 27 great grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by a son, Norman R Ulrich; four sisters, Alberta Ripley, Geraldine Jenkins, Wilma Anderson and Lorna Taylor; and two brothers, Robert L. Ripley and Leonard Dale Morley.
Burial was at Fairmount Cemetery, Polo. Arrangements were completed by Yates Funeral home, Coueur D'Alene (Idaho) Chapel. Memorials may be made to the charity of the donor's choice. (published picture of Margaret Ulrich).
The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois August 23, 2003 - pg A5- Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Anna P. Nelson
ANNA PEARL (Vance) GALOR NELSON - 91, of Dixon, died Sunday, Aug. 17, 2003 at her home. She was employed by Dixon State School for 13 years, retiring in 1972. Mrs. Nelson was born Sept. 13, 1911, in Moberly, Mo., the daughter of Jesse Lewis and Laura Bertha (Ward) Vance. She attended Dixon High School and Coppins Business College, Dixon. She married George Galor on Dec. 24, 1929 in Clinton, Iowa. He died June 1, 1958. She then married Arthur A. Nelson on Nov. 10, 1972 in Dixon. He died May 20, 1977. She was a member of First Baptist Church, Dixon, Daughters of the American Revolution and Dixon Elks Auxiliary. She was an accomplished artist and active gardener.
Survivors include a daughter, Marilyn Yeater of Dixon; a stepson, Kenneth (Carol) Nelson of Dixon; two grandchildren; two step grandchildren; five great grandchildren; three step great grandchildren; and eight great great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a brother, Orville Vance; four sisters, Ida Marie Nelson, Myrtle Louise Helser, Goldie Forrest and Lillian Boehme; and a grandson.
The funeral is at 1030 a.m. Thursday at Preston-Schilling Funeral Home, Dixon, with Rev. Douglas Gabbard, pastor of First Baptist Church, Dixon, officiating. Burial is at Fairmount Cemetery, Polo. Visitation is from 2-8 p.m. with the family present from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois August 19, 2003 - pg A5- Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Faye Houpt
FAYE (Brown) HOUPT - 90, of Oelwein Health Care Ceneter, Oelwein, Iowa, formerly of Polo and Sterling area, died Thursday, Sept. 5, 2002, at the nursing home. She was employed by Golden Age Meal Site, Oelwein, Iowa. She also worked as a waitress and was a homemaker.
Mrs. Houpt was born Jan. 5, 1912 in Littleton, Iowa, the daughter of Addison and Ida Mae (Livingston) Brown. She enjoyed playing Bingo.
Survivors include two daughters, Ida Mae Schommer (Don) Wiemken of Sterling and Fern Wiemken of Dixon; a son, Harry Houpt of Mount Morris; 15 grandchildren; 26 great grandchildren; and 24 great great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by four brothers, two sisters, a grandchild and a great great grandchild.
Graveside service is at 2 p.m. Saturday at Fairmount Cemetery, Polo, with Rev. Dalmus Meeks, pastor of Harvest Time Bible Church, Rock Falls, officiating. Visitation is from 1-1:30 p.m. Saturday at McDonald Funeral Home, Rock Falls.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois September 6, 2002 - Friday, pg A5- Sub. by Melva Taylor]

Frank L. Fletcher
FRANK LLOYD FLETCHER - 72, of 37347 W. State Route 64, Lot 38, Mount Morris, died Thursday, Aug. 21, 2003, at Polo Continental Manor Nursing Home. He was employed by Kable Printing Co., Mount Morris, in the roto press room as a materials handler for 50 years, retiring in 1997.
Mr. Fletcher was born June 20, 1931 in Byron, the son of Joseph and Isabelle (Sutton) Fletcher. He served in the Navy during the Korean War on the destroyer USS Ammen. He was a member of Graphic Communications International Union.
Survivors include a son, Dean Fletcher of Mount Morris; a step-son, Dale (Kathy) Baker of Dixon; two step-daughters, Donna Dietrich of Mount Morris and Diane Burd of Pewaukee, Wis.;' two brothers, Harry (Valdean) Fletcher of Byron and Joseph Fletcher of Oregon; three sisters, Freida (Don) Engelkes and Ida (LaVerne) Hurd, both of Oregon, and Helen Johnson of Rockford; seven grandchildren; and eight great grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by three brothers, Robert, George and John Fletcher; and two sisters, Bess Fletcher and Mary DeVreese. The funeral is at 11 a.m. Monday at Finch Funeral Home, Mount Morris. Burial is at Plainview Cemetery, Mount Morris. Visitation from 6-8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
[The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois August 23, 2003 - pg A5- Sub. by Melva Taylor]

William Kruse
Poloan Found Dead in Bed
Wm. Kruse, 77, Died at his Home in This City, Tuesday Evening Was Born in Germany
William Kruse, aged 77, was found dead in bed at his home in this city, Tuesday evening at about six o'clock by his daughter, Miss Katherine. An investigation into the death conducted by Dr. J. C. Akins of Forreston, county coroner disclosed the fact that death was due to myocarditis, chronic heart trouble.
Mr. Kruse had lain down following dinner but had talked with his wife during the afternoon and although he had been in ill health for sometime it was not believed that his condition was critical. Doctor C. F. Powell was called when it was discovered that Mr. Kruse was dead, and he stated that he believed the patient had been dead for about an hour.
Mr. Kruse was born in Germany, September 29, 1850, and died at his home in this city, January 31, 1933 at the age of 77 years, 4 months and 3 days. He came in this country 64 years ago at the age of 13. For the past four years he has been a resident of Polo and previous to that time he resided in the Brookville community. Funeral services will be held at the home Friday afternoon and interment will be at Brookville.
[Tri County Press February 2, 1928 - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

Lida Roges
Mrs. Charles Roges died Tuesday afternoon, April 14, 1908, at 1:30 o'clock, aged forty-nine years. Mrs. Roges had been a sufferer from cancer for some time and underwent an operation about a year ago. She was at the hospital taking treatments when her death occurred. Mrs. Roges was a noble woman and a good wife and mother. Home will indeed be desolate without her. she leaves to mourn her death, her husband and five children, Frank, Katherine, Amy, Dorothy and Willard. Also two brothers and one sister, George C. Ormsbee of Sacramento, California, Mrs. Ada Faulders of Moorhead, Minnesota, and Harry Ormsbee of Chicago. Lida Ormsbee was born in Polo in September, 1858, and spent the greater part of her life here. A few years ago in company with her family she went to Caldwell, Idaho, to make her home. Mrs. Roges was a well educated woman, interested in the affairs of the day and in the people about her as well as having the interests of her family intensely at heart. She was a noble Christian woman and there are many who will hole her memory sacred for the kindly deeds she has done. In regard to her last illness and death, Rev. J. G. Cowden writes as follows: Many of your readers will be saddened by the intelligence of the demise of Mrs. Charles Roges. She passed from us Tuesday, the 14th and was buried from our home on the afternoon of the 16th. She had been ailing for several months, having experienced an operation more than a year ago at the Boise hospital. The cause of her death was pulmonary tuberculosis. She did not suffer from exquisite pain but only from languor and weakness and her contemplations of the unseen and her departure into its joys was as clam and unperturbed as if she was going on a visit to some most familiar and delightful place. Passing away at the hospital she said she would like to be buried from our house as it would be more entirely preserving the old endeared association if she was carried thence to her last resting place and I officiated wholly in the service. She especially requested that the hymn, "One Sweetly Solemn Thought" should be sung. Of the old familiar group there were present Miss Wood, the Garmans, the Wisners and Mr. Frank and Mrs. D. Cunningham and Miss Phila Cushman. The offerings of flowers were from many friends of different members of the family and were profuse and beautiful. Feeling that her tarrying here was not to be long, Mrs. Roges never transferred her church letter to this place. She died in the membership of the dear old Polo church whose sainted and venerable associations of a generation she could not persuade herself to break. Thus the Polo colony so pleasingly reconstituted in this far off place is being irremediably dissolved.
[Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Catherine Kruse
Mrs. Catherine Kruse was born in November 1846, near Polo, and passed to her eternal home March 3, 1934 at the home of her son William near Chadwick, where she received the tenderest care during her illness of but several weeks duration. Mr. Kruse passed away a number of years ago. Mrs. Kruse spent the greater part of her life in the vicinity of Brookville where she had many friends and acquaintances. She is survived by five daughters, Mrs. William Kness, Mrs. Eugene Sarber, Mrs. Ira Schnee, and Mrs. Frank Woolsey, all of Brookville, Mrs. Charles Weaver of Polo, and one son William Kruse, of Chadwick, one sister, Mrs. Dan Albright of Polo and one sister in Nebraska, and many other relatives. Funeral services were held the following Tuesday at Grace Evangelical Church at Brookville in charge of the Rev. S. G. Everly of Chadwick assisted by Rev. J. E. Widmer of Brookville. Burial took place at Brookville.
[Tri County Press, Polo, Illinois March 22, 1934 - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

March 19, 1869, Mr. Crawford was married in Franklin, New York to Miss Aggie Field, who with one son, Earl F., lives to mourn the death of a kind and loving husband and father. One daughter, Lulu May, died in Walton, New York, December 17, 1874, aged two and one-half years. Mr. Crawford was a prominent member of the order of Masons and a charter member of Polo Post G. A. R. Since his residence in Polo he has been affiliated with the Methodist Church where he was faithful in attendance and ever interested in the work of the church. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at two o'clock at the M. E. church, Rev. A. E. Saunders officiating. The Masons will have charge of the funeral.
[Undated scrapbook clipping - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

George Fogle
George Fogle, 71, a lifetime resident of Leaf River township, passed away at his home five miles northwest of Leaf River Sunday evening about 5 p.m. after an illness of several months. George Fogle was born March 10, 1865 in Leaf River township. He was married to Mary Myers and to this union were born three children, who with the widow survive. A daughter, Mrs. Iva Hunermark of German Valley, two sons Ernest Fogle of Leaf River and Alva Fogle of Forreston and one grandson. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. from the home and at 2 p.m. from the Evangelical church, Rev. R. W. Pittman of Polo officiating. Burial was in the adjoining cemetery.
[June 12, 1936 clipping - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

Charles W. Joiner
In the passing away of Chas. W. Joiner, we are again reminded of the fact that the pioneer settlers of Buffalo township are one by one joining the ranks of the old settlers who have been summoned by death. The deceased was the son of Almon and Hannah (Van Wagner) Joiner and was born December 8, 1816, in Royalton, Vermont. His boyhood days were spent on a farm and in company with is parents he came to Ogle county, Illinois in 1837, where he purchased a claim in Buffalo Grove township. June 5, 1839, he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Waterbury, daughter of John and Phoebe B. Waterbury, To this union were born three children, namely, Henry, Mary W. and Alvin. Henry died in infancy and Mrs. Mary W. Thompson of Sanilac county, Michigan, and Alvin Joiner of Polo are the surviving children,. In the year of 1857, Mr. Joiner rented his farm and moved with his family to Sanilac county, Michigan, where he was engaged in the lumber business. While engaged in this business, they sustained great loss by fire, having six saw ills of which they were the owners destroyed by fire. They also lost heavily by the great forest fires of 1871. Norwithstanding Mr. Joiner's misfortune, he kept up courage and removed to Lake county, Michigan, in 1872 where he laid out the village of Chase and built and ran a saw, shingle and planing mill. In the year 1884 he returned to Polo, where he resided for a number of years with his son, Alvin. His wife died April 12, 1886. He was married the second time to Mrs. Mary Waterbury April 4, 1901 and since that time he has resided on his farm, living a retired life. He had enjoyed fairly good health until three weeks previous to his death when he was stricken with paralysis and remained in an unconscious condition much of the time until his death which occurred Tuesday evening, July 12, 1904. The most distinctive traits of character in the life of the deceased were his great energy, industry, and strong will power. He was of a kind and sympathetic disposition. He in his quiet way was very benevolent and in his life time performed deeds of charity which were never recorded. His great love for all animals was another strong trait of his character. The funeral services were conducted Thursday afternoon ...... 14, from his late home.............
Undated Scrapbook Clipping - Sub. by Karen Fyock]

John Adam Schreffler
Mr. Schreffler Dead -- This community was greatly shocked when it became known that Mr. J. A. Schreffler had passed away Tuesday evening about nine o'clock.
While he had not been in the best of health for some time, he made no special complaint until Tuesday afternoon when he complained of a severe pain in the region of his heart which was thought to be caused by indigestion.
He retired early Tuesday evening and about 8:30 came down stairs to tell Mrs. Schreffler to look after the furnace as it seemed so hot upstairs. He returned to his room and shortly after nine when Mrs. Schreffler went upstairs she found him sitting on the edge of the bed.
Assistance was called but life was extinct.
Funeral services will be conducted Friday afternoon from the late home at 1:30 and from the Evangelical church at 2:30. Presiding Elder W. S. Klingbeil, assisted by Rev. John Divan, will officiate.
January 10, 1924
John Adam Schreffler was born in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on March 7, 1851, and died at his home in Polo very suddenly due to heart failure January 8th, 1924. His age at death was 72 years, 10 months, and 1 day.
He had not been in the best of health for some time and recently passed through a successful operation and was able to be about his duties as usual. He attended the revival meeting the night before his death and gave his last testimony for Christ and on Tuesday he attended prayer meeting at Father Beck's home and prayed his last public prayer,he died facing homeward to the city of mansions.
Mr. Schreffler came to Illinois when a young man seventeen years old and took up his home near Brookville, where he became a successful farmer and liven until twenty-five years ago when he retired and moved to Polo.
He was married to Sarah Jane Beck on October 14, 1880, and together they have shared the joys and sorrows of wedded life for nearly forty-four years.
Brother Schreffler and his wife were converted in the same revival meeting at Brookville conducted by the now sainted Rev. D. B. Beyers, and he remained a true and faithful member of the Evangelical church until God took him from labor to reward.
He served his church well in the local capacity, being a member of the West Chambers Grove class.
Since moving to Polo he identified himself with the activities of the church and community and was at the time of his death an honored member of Emanuel Evangelical church.
He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Riverside Campmeeting Association located at Freeport, of the Evangelical Association, I think from its beginning, and was always a liberal supporter and friend of the church of his choice.
In his immediate family he is survived by one sister, Mrs. Sarah Bellan, of Wagner, South Dakota, and a host of relatives and friends who with his bereaved companion mourn his sudden death.
Brother Schreffler was of a quiet and unassuming nature, but was in every sense of that term a Christian, not in word only but in deed and in truth, and his home going is a great loss to the church and community, but our loss is his eternal gain.
One by one earth's ties are broken -- As we see our love decay;
And the hopes so fondly cherished -- Brighten but to pass away
One by one,our hopes grow brighter, -- As we near the shining shore;
For we know across the river -- Wait the loved ones gone before.

The funeral services were held from the Evangelical church, Friday January 11, conducted by the pastor, Rev W. F. Klingbeil, Presiding elder of the Freeport district of the Illinois conference,preached the sermon and was assisted by Rev. J. Hoerner, presiding elder of the Freeport district and Rev. J. G. Feucht of Reynolds, Ill., who was a former pastor of the Schrefflers. He was buried in Fairmount cemetery.
The male quartet of Emanuel Evangelical church had charge of the singing.
[Tri County Press; Lanark Gazette January 23, 1924 - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

John Schreffler, retired farmer, passed away at 10 o'clock last Tuesday night at his home in Polo with a heart spasm. Although Mr. Schreffler, who underwent an operation a few months ago, had been in poor health his condition had not been considered serious and he had been attending the special services at the Evangelical church this week. Tuesday night he remained at home stating that he did not feel so well and about nine o'clock was stricken with his fatal attack.
Mr. Schreffler, who had been prominent in the Evangelical work of this district for many years, was a trustee of the Riverside camp meeting association.
Born in Dauphin county, Penn., March 7, 1851, Mr. Schreffler came to the vicinity of Polo twenty-five years ago. For many years he resided on a farm near Brookville, but retired to make his home in Polo some years ago.
His wife Sarah survives him and so far as is known he leaves no other living relative.
Mr. Schreffler was a splendid man, in fact, there were none better; he was a decidedly honorable, upright Christian gentleman and his death is a severe blow to his bereaved companion and many substantial friends.
Funeral services will be conducted Friday afternoon from the late home at 1:30 and from the Evangelical church at 2:30. Presiding Elder W. S. Klingbeil, assisted by Rev. John Divan, will officiate.
[The Weekly Reporter Shannon, Illinois January 10, 1924 - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Frank B. Gale
Frank B. Gale died this morning at 2 o'clock at St. Francis hospital, where he came from his home at Oregon a little more than three weeks ago, suffering from heart trouble. He was a native of Ogle county, and was born on a farm near Oregon October 1, 1851. With the exception of a few years spent in the south in an effort to improve his health, he has lived in Oregon all his life. He was a retired farmer, and since his retirement had been speculating in southern lands. About twelve years ago he married Miss Retta Licklyter who, with four brothers and an adopted niece, survive him. The brothers are Scott, Fred and Charles of Oregon, and James of Englevale, N. D. His father was an early settler of Ogle county, and the deceased was for several years deputy clerk of the circuit court of Ogle county. His brother Charles arrived in Freeport this morning and took charge of the remains, which were sent to Oregon this afternoon. No arrangements for the funeral have yet been made.
[July 17, 1911 clipping - Submitted by Karen Fyock]

Ruth Marie Jacobs
DIXON, Illinois Ruth Marie Jacobs, 88, of 918 Oak Court, formerly of Mount Morris, Illinois, died Monday, July 29, 1991 at KSB Hosital in Dixon. She was employed at Kable Printing Co. in Mount Morris for 30 years prior to her retirement in 1973.
She was born Nov. 18, 1902 to John E. and Martha (Newcomer) Miller.
She was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Dixon, Minnie Bell Rebekah Lodge and graphic Communicators International Union.
She was preceded in death by one great-granddaughter.
Survivors include her sons, Arthur L. Sr. of Amboy and John W. of Dixon; daughters, Mrs. Russell (Dorothy) Diehl of Belvidere and Mrs. Donald (Leola) Frey of Dixon; 20 grandchildren; 39 greatgrandchildren.
Funeral is 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the Preston-Schilling Funeral Home with the Rev. Janet Hunt, pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church, officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery in Mount Morris, Illinois. Visitation is 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
[Dixon Evening Telegraph, 30 Jul 1991 - Submitted by John W. Jacobs]

Dorothy Mae Peterson
Rochelle --- Dorothy Mae Peterson, 82, formerly of Rochelle, died Friday, June 16, 2000 at Franklin Grove Nursing Center. She retired from Eatons as an inspector in 1985.
Mrs. Peterson was born Sept. 11, 1917, in Marshall, Minn., the daughter of Arthur and Eva (Surprenant) Lambert. She married Minferd "Pete" Lindyn Peterson on Jan. 10, 1938, in Marshall, Minn. He died in 1979. She was a member of St. Patrick Catholic church and a longtime member and past president of the VFW Post 3878 Auxiliary.
Survivors include a son, James (Paula) Peterson of Flossmoor; two daughters, Marlene Cahoon of Rochelle and Judy Carter of Batavia; a sister, Lorraine Sullivan of Marshall, Minn.; 11 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a brother, Larry Lambert; and a great-grandson.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Patrick Catholic Church, Rochelle, with Father John Earl officiating. Burial will be at St. Patrick Cemetery, Rochelle. Visitation will be from 5-8 p.m. Monday at Unger Horner Funeral Home, Rochelle.
A memorial has been established for Masses at St. Patrick Catholic Church.
[Sauk Valley, Sunday, 18 June 2000 - Sub. by Barbara Gehlsen Nugent]

Russell Cheeseman
Polo Russell Cheeseman, 38, died Thursday, December 13, 1951 at 8:30 a.m. at his farm southeast of Polo. He was born November 27, 1913, the son of Harvey and Ethel (Schryver) Cheeseman. He is survived by his widow, Marian Cross, daughter, Donna, his mother, Mrs. Ethel Cheeseman, all of Polo, and a sister, Veva, of Rockford. He was preceded in death by his father and a sister, Thelma. Mr. Cheeseman was a member of the Polo IOOF lodge. The body was taken to the Melvin funeral home. Funeral arrangements will be announced.
[Dixon Evening Telegraph, c. Dec. 1951 - Sub. by Alice Horner]

Bayard T. Bailey
DEAD - Dr. Bayard T. Bailey was buried yesterday. His illness has been a lingering one, it having been about two years since he was attacked with consumption. Bayard T. Bailey was born July 24, 1858, at Flagg Center, Illinois. At the age of 17 he commenced to teach in the public schools in this vicinity and continued as teacher. Some four or five years after that time he entered Chicago Medical College and graduated with honors in March, 1881, and that spring he went to Huron, Dakota Territory, and commenced a very successful practice in medicine. But failing health compelled him to abandon his chosen profession, and he returned home, since which time through the slow process of consumption he has gradually but surely failed. He died January 29, 1885, his age being 26 years, 6 months and 5 days.
["Rochelle Register" January 31, 1885 - Submitters Name: Sandra Trapp]


Return to Obituary Index Page



©Genealogy Trails