Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
The Organization and History
The Citizens of Peoria for some time previous to 1856, had been impressed with the necessity of having among them one or more volunteer companies, who would be available in case their services should be required in protecting property and aid in enforcing the laws. And in order to get an expression from those who were disposed to favor such an Organization, a meeting was held on the 9th day of July, 1856, in Engine House No.2, on North Adams Street, in said city, Andrew J. HODGES was appointed chairman and George S. BLAKELY, secretary. At that meeting the question was very fully discussed as to the necessity, and prospect of organizing a first-class volunteer company of infantry, and it was resolved that such a company be at once formed. A list of the names of those who were desirous of joining the organization was read. A committee was appointed to draft a constitution and by- laws composed of the following gentlemen:
Charles E. DENISON
Addison S. NORTON
William A. THRUSH
A committee to solicit subscriptions from the citizens was appointed as follows:
Casper W. REES
George S. BLAKELY
H. G. ANDERSON
Geo. H. McILVAINE.
Appointed Treasure: Geo. H. McILVAINE
Wm. A. THRUSH, Jog. W. BALL and John C. PROCTOR, were appointed a committee to procure music.
Appointed to a committee to procure a drill-room for the company where:
A. S. PALMER, John BRYNER and D. M. CUMMINGS
On the 12th of July, 1856, another meeting was held at the same place at which a constitution and by-laws were presented by the committee and adopted except as to the name and uniform of the company.
Appointed to a committee to report a suitable name for the company were the following men:
C. E. DENISON
E.B. ELWOOD and Wm A. THRUSH
The men appointed to report a suitable uniform for the company were:
C. E. DENISON
John BRYNER and A. S. NORTON
At this meeting the commissioned officers were elected for one year, as follows:
Captain, Charles E. DENISON
First Lieutenant, John BRYNER
Second Lieutenant, John N. CROMWELL
Third Lieutenant, William A. THRUSH.
Measures were also taken to procure arms and accoutrements, and a resolution was passed that the company adopt a temporary uniform, consisting of a black frock coat, white pants and a glazed or blue cap.
At a meeting held at the same place on the 16th of July, 1856, the committee on uniforms reported in favor of the regulation uniform of the United States Army with such additions as might be deemed proper.
The report was adopted. The committee on company name reported the name of the "Central City Infantry" which was adopted. The constitution was then signed by those present.
At a meeting held at Armory Hall, third story over Scheadzlic store on Main Street July 19, 1856, on motion of A. S. PALMER the vote of the company at the previous meeting adopting the name of "Central City Infantry," was re-considered. The name of "City Blues" was suggested by Mr. PALMER. Mr. ANDERSON moved to amend by inserting "Governor's Guards." Mr. BISHOP moved to amend by inserting "Bissell Guards." Mr. PALMER suggested" Peoria Blues" and Mr MORRELL "Washington Blues," and the names being voted on separate, the motion to adopt in each case was lost. Geo. S. BLAKELY suggested the name of "NATIONAL BLUES," which was adopted and ordered to be engrossed in the constitution.
Charles P. JAMES was elected secretary
George H. McILVAINE was elected treasurer for one year.
Muster roll of the active members of the
National Blues, organized July 12, 1856,
and the rank they held in that organization: See the MUSTER ROLL
Home | Military Data
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.