In the northeast part of Elk Township ( Jackson County, IL ) near the
Perry County line lies a deeply wooded territory still bearing the signs of the wilderness as it was at the
time of the Indians and early settlers,
A small band of Scots came to this area from Philadelphia where they had landed on July 4, 1776. This story was
related to Mamie Reheis who lives near the original site, by David Lee Campbell, the great-great-grandson of
the leader of the group who was the King of Scotland. These Scots were driven out of Scotland during the religious
wars between the Catholics and Protestants in Scotland
The Scots went first to St. Louis, and from there traveled on the Old Kaskaskia-Shawneetown trail which went through
this area, and finally settled just a short distance southeast of Du Quoin, or about one mile east of Old Du Quoin.
The group of Scots built their homes by a beautiful lake. One of these cabins, just as simple as the rest, sheltered
John Campbell and his family. This was John Campbell, once ruler of Scotland.
One of John's sons, George Washington Campbell, (1808-1876) became quite prominent in this area. He at one
time owned 15,000 acres of land, among which was part of section 34 of township 6 of Perry County. George took out
the land patent on the homestead on which his father squatted. It is in this later place that the old Campbell Creek
graveyard is located. One of the sons of Washington Campbell was James Campbell, who in turn had a son named
David Lee Campbell, the narrator of this story. David Lee Campbell married Laura Snider, and they resided for many
years at the old Campbell homestead, over by Old Du Quoin. In 1934, Lee and Laura had a centennial of their own,
honoring the homestead. David Lee Campbell, and his wife now live in Royalton, but they often visit the old site
of the early settlement.
The Campbell Cemetery is located on the Old Kaskaskia-Shawneetown Trail near the point where Jackson and
Perry counties join. David Lee Campbell's great-great-grandfather, John, former King of Scotland is buried there.