The Doctors of DuQuoin
Dr. William Arms of Du Quoin was the 5th generation from William Arms, I, the immigrant ancestor of the Arms family in America, who came from the Island of Jersey in the English Channel, and arrived in America in 1676. The family and its descendants were residents of Deerfield, Mass. for a number of generations.
Dr. William Arms was born in Wilmington, Vermont, May 118th 1802. He died in Du Quoin June 21st 1889, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James T. Milligan. A grand-daughter has in her possession, his two college diplomas, one from Andover, Mass., and one from Dartmouth. He was ordained in Park street Presbyterian Church, Boston, Mass., July 27th 1833, and shortly after sailed for Patagonia, South Africa, on a tour of investigation at the request of the American Board of Foreign Missionaries, to see if it was feasible to establish mission stations in that country. He worked among cannibals in all his missionary work.
In 1835 he went to Borneo and Sumatra as a medical missionary. His first wife and son died in Borneo. He developed a serious throat ailment in the Far East and returned to America in 1838. In 1839 he married Mary Ann Aiken of Windham Vermont. They were the parents of three sons and three daughters.
He practiced medicine in Westminster, Vermont; in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin; in Cobden, Carbondale and Du Quoin Illinois. The family moved to Southern Illinois in 1856.
Many people are confused about the doctors Burgess. Dr. Thomas and Dr. Warren Burgess were veterans of the Civil War. Dr. Warren was crippled, walked with two canes and lived at 337 E. Poplar street. His wife was a Miss Chamberlain, a graduate of Mt. Holyoke College. They had no children. Doctor was noted for the squash he raised. He practiced in town.
Dr. Thomas Burgess took care of the country practice. He built a brick home on south Wells street. During the fair of 1874 there was a burglary in the home, a man was killed and the home burned. The doctor then built a home in the country on the Pinckneyville road. He and Ed Moberly built the three story building on the southeast corner of Main and Division street, later owned by Browning and not the Jasecko building.
Dr. Tom's children were: Alice who married Monroe Dry; Hettie who married Will McElvain; May; Emma who married after the family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico; Grant and Warren.
Dr. Martin C. Carr was one of the best loved Physicians Du Quoin has had, and practiced here over fifty years. He was born at Smithton in St. Clair County February 28th 1850. After graduating from Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, March 1876, Dr. Carr started practice in Smithton near Belleville. Then in 1879 he moved to Du Quoin where he held the chair of assistant professor of nervous diseases, 1885-1887, in the Post Graduate Medical College of St. Louis. He began practice here with Dr. Dyer who was then elderly.
Dr. Carr lost his wife, who was Bertha Kime, and daughter Bertha. Later he married Cora Bock, daughter of Dr. Frederick Bock of Waterloo. There were three children by this marriage, Earl, Flora, and Bertha. The family lived for years in the house north of the Elks Club. The two daughters now live at 337 East Poplar Street.
Already licensed to practice in Illinois, Missouri and Arkansas, at the age of 70, Dr. Carr qualified for a Florida license. He practiced there with Dr. Reagin for about two years. Before returning to Du Quoin, he had his hair dyed coal black. He had his fun telling Du Quoin friends that was how good Florida had done him. Then he let it go natuarl. Diagnosing his own illness as old age, Dr. Carr died February 15, 1934, attended by Dr, J. T. Leigh.
Dr. June Winston Dunn braved the danger and treated all the cases, even going in duster and cap, rubber gloves and over shoes, twice a day to the "pest house". The nurse who cared for the smallpox cases there was William F. Reid. Finally Dr, Dunn succumbed to the disease and was taken to the smallpox hospital May 14. He survived with a badly pock-marked face. He did not believe in vaccination.
Dr. Dunn was born in Pocahontas, Tennessee, November 25th 1852. He was the son of a Baptist minister and because of frequent moving, received a scant common school education. At the age of 20 he started out to make his own way and educated himself. At the end of three years he was able to start teaching, which he did for 12 years, in Franklin and Wiliamson counties. In odd times he studied medicine and went into the office of Dr. W. L. Carter of Thompsonville for a year. Later he attended the American Electric Medical College of St. Louis, and graduated in June of 1889.
Dr. Dunn married Mary Jordan of Thompsonville. Their children were James, Luther, and Lulu. The family moved to Du Quoin in 1890, where the doctor did well. The town's appreciation of his sacrifice and devotion to duty during the epidemic, was such that Dr. Dunn was elected mayor in 1897 and 1898. He had the first automobile that came to town, a Ford. It started with a strap like a motor boat we are told.
We are indebted to Mrs. Betty Dry for the information on Dr. William Thomas Maclin who officiate at her birth 75 years ago. She says her mother and the doctor were first cousins because their fathers were brothers, Isaac E. and W. T. Maclin, Sr. Mrs Dry's mother, Alice Maclin married Axum Revelle. Dr. W. T. Maclin, Jr. married Mary H. Harrell.
Dr. Maclin was born August 9th 1844 in Williamson County, Tennessee, and died December 6th 1899 in Du Quoin. He called himself "the Irishman from Tennessee". He came here in 11874, after 15 years of practice in Cairo, Tennessee. His medical education was received at Nashville Medical College and Cincinnati Medical College from which he was graduated in 1868. In 1881 he took a post graduate course at Memphis Hospital.
Mrs. Maclin died on her forty first birthday, December 16th, 1890. At first the family lived on South Division Street about where the A&P is now. A little building in the yard housed the Dr.'s office. Later they moved to the First Baptist Church corner. Five of seven children lived to adulthood: Lula A., wife of Clarence E. Blakeslee; Anna E. wife of Stephen Rogers; W. B.; John A.; and Grover C.
The second Mrs. Maclin was Catherine (Freudenberg) Weger widow of Adrian Weger. Dr. maclin was a prominent citizen, having belonged to the Sothern Illinois Medical Association of Railway Surgeons; the Odd Fellows, the Masons and Knights of Pythias. he served the community on the Board of Education, as a city councilman, and was for eight years, bu appointment of President Cleveland on the National Pension Examining Board. For years he was : "company doctor."
© 2008 Wayne Hinton