Genealogy Trails History Group

Pike County, Illinois

divider for new section

Home Page

Communities - Maps - Neighbors - Historic Places

State County Map

County Township Map

Adjacent Counties

Cities

Villiages

Towns

Unicorporated Communities

Ghost Towns
Dutton
Four Miles north of Pittsfield. Named for David Dutton, an early county commissioner. Also called Dutton's Mineral Spring.
Source: Place Names of Illinois - By Edward Callary

Griggsville Landing

Townships

  • Township Histories - Summation
  • Atlas Township
  • Barry Township
  • Chambersburg Township
  • Derry Township
  • Detroit Township
  • Farimount Township
  • Flint Township
  • Griggsville Township
  • Hadley Township
  • Hardin Township
  • Kinderhook Township
  • Levee Township
  • Martinsburg Township
  • Montezuma Township
  • Newburg Township
  • New Salem Township
  • Pearl Township
  • Perry Township
  • Pittsfield Township
  • Pleasant Hill Township
  • Pleasant Vale Township
  • Ross Township
  • Spring Creek Township
  • Divider Line

    History
    Pike County was formed on January 31, 1821 out of Madison County. It was named in honor of Zebulon Pike, leader of the Pike expedition in 1806 to map out the south and west portions of the Louisiana Purchase. Pike served at the Battle of Tippecanoe, and was killed in 1813 in the War of 1812.

    Prior to the coming of the first European settler to Pike County, French traders, hunters, and travelers passed through the native forests and prairies. Originally Pike County began on the south junction of the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. The east boundary was the Illinois River north to the Kankakee River to the Indiana State line on north to Wisconsin territorial line and then west to the Mississippi River to the original point at the south end. The first county seat was Cole's Grove, a post town, in what later became Calhoun County. The Gazetteer of Illinois and Missouri, published in 1822, mentioned Chicago as "a village of Pike County" containing 12 or 15 houses and about 60 or 70 inhabitants.

    The New Philadelphia Town Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 2009. Founded by Frank McWorter, an early free black settler in Pike County, it was the first town founded by a black man in the United States. McWorter had invested in land there sight unseen after purchasing the first few members of his family out of slavery. In 1836 he founded the town of New Philadelphia, near Barry. He was elected mayor and lived there the rest of his life. With the sale of land, he made enough money to purchase the freedom of his children. After the railroad bypassed the town, its growth slowed and it was eventually abandoned in the 20th century. The town site is now an archaeological site.
    In the early 21st century, Pike County acquired notability as a whitetail deer hunting center, especially for bowhunting.

    Divider Line

    National Register of Historic Listings in Pike County, Illinois

    There are 14 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 1 National Historic Landmark.
    Source: National Register of Historic Places listings in Pike County, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Name on RegisterDate ListedLocationCity or Town
    Barry Historic District March 13, 1979 U. S. Route 36 Barry
    Church of Christ August 8, 2006 102 Main Street Perry
    Griggsville Landing Lime Kiln August 30, 1999 Township Road 490, North of Napoleon Hollow Valley City
    Lock Dam, No. 22, Historic District March 10, 2004 Road 920 E Hull
    Extends into Ralls Co. Mo
    Massie Variety Store August 20, 2004 110 S. Main St. New Canton
    Free Frank McWorter Grave Site *(see note below) April 19, 1988 Off U. S. Route 36, 4 miles east of Barry Barry
    Naples Mound 8 October 14, 1975 North of Interstate 72, just west of the Illinois River Griggsville
    New Philadelphia Town Site August 11, 2005 Township Road 156, east of Barry Barry
    Designated a NHL on January 16, 2009
    Pittsfield East School February 12, 1971 400 E. Jefferson St. Pittsfield
    Pittsfield Historic District June 4, 1980 Roughly bounded by Washinton Court Sycamore, Morrison Griggsville Sts. Pittsfield
    Lyman Scott House February 10, 1983 U. S. Route 54 Summer Hill
    John Shastid House June 26, 2003 326 E. Jefferson Pittsfield
    Zoe Theatre January 2, 2013 209 N. Madison St. Pittsfield

    *Note:
    The Free Frank McWorter Grave Site, near the Pike County, Illinois city of Barry, is the grave site of former slave Frank McWorter. McWorter, originally from South Carolina, bought his and 14 other slave relatives' freedom during the mid-19th century in Kentucky. In 1836 he was the first African American before the American Civil War to plat and register a town, New Philadelphia, Illinois. The New Philadelphia Town Site, abandoned by the early 20th century, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2009 for its history and archaeological resources. McWorter's grave site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It is located about 4 miles east of Barry, Illinois off U.S. Route 36.

    Source [Pike County, Illinois, Wikipedia]

    divider for new section