Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 PURVIANCE was born December 18, 1800 in Red Stone, Pennsylvania, and died March 20, 1877 in Hennepin, Putnam Co. IL. He married MARGARET.
Notes for JAMES PURVIANCE:
March 29, 1877
At Hennepin, March 20, of heart disease, James Purviance, Sr., aged 70, father of Amos T. Purviance, Esq., county clerk of Putnam county.
Mr. Amos T. Purviance, county clerk of Putnam county, buried his aged and venerable father James Purviance last week. His disease was suffocation from heart disease, dying in half an hour from the last attack of it. Mr. P. was born in Redstone, Pa., December 28, 1800; in early life emigrated to Smithfield, Ohio, where he resided about 30 years. He moved to Putnam county in 1846, and until eight years ago followed farming, since which time he has made it his home in Hennepin. In religion he was a Quaker, and hence a friend to all. He was a gentleman of character and standing and highly esteemed.
More About JAMES PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1850, Farmer
Residence: 1850, Putnam Co. IL
Occupation: 1870, Retired Farmer
Residence: 1870, Hennepin, Putnam Co. IL
More About MARGARET:
Residence: 1880, Granville Twp., Putnam Co. IL
Other Info: 1880, Living with son Price
Children of JAMES PURVIANCE and MARGARET are:
2. i. AMOS T.2 PURVIANCE, b. March 06, 1823, near Smithville, Jefferson county, Ohio; d. January 14, 1904, Hennepin, Putnam Co. IL.
ii. PRICE PURVIANCE, b. January 05, 1830, Jefferson Co. Ohio.
Notes for PRICE PURVIANCE:
From the Record of Olden Times by Spencer Ellsworth, 1880
This gentleman was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, January 5, 1830, and when fifteen years of age came with his parents to this county. They located on section 38, Granville township, and the claim and dwelling are still occupied by the subject of this sketch. His parents were James and Margaret Purviance, the former of whom was born at Red Stone, Pa., and died in 1877. Mrs. Purviance, who is still living with her son on the old homestead, is a native of Maryland.
More About PRICE PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1870-1900, Farmer
Residence: 1870-1900, Granville twp, Putnam Co IL
iii. SARAH ANN PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1832.
3. iv. JOHN PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1834, Ohio.
v. WALKER PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1836, Putnam Co IL.
vi. MELISSA PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1838, Illinois.
vii. MARGARET PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1841, Illinois.
4. viii. MARK PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1843, Ohio.
5. ix. JAMES A. PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1847, Illinois.
6. x. ELIZA JANE PURVIANCE, b. December 1843, Ohio; d. December 21, 1926, Granville Twp, Putnam Co. IL.
Generation No. 2
2. AMOS T.2 PURVIANCE (JAMES1) was born March 06, 1823 in near Smithville, Jefferson county, Ohio, and died January 14, 1904 in Hennepin, Putnam Co. IL. He married MARY M. ONG August 07, 1843 in Jefferson county, Ohio, daughter of JOHN ONG and UNKNOWN.
Notes for AMOS T. PURVIANCE:
From "The Record of Olden Times or Fifty Year on the Prairie" embracing sketches of the discovery, exploration and settlement of the country. by Spencer Elsworth, Lacon, IL Home Journal Steam Printing Establishment Copyright Date MDCCCLXXX (1880)
Amos T. Purviance
The subject of this sketch was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1823, and removed to Illinois in 1847, locating in Hennepin. He learned the printing trade when young, but after coming to this State worked at farming, teaching school winters.
In 1845 he married Mary M. Ong, their union being blessed with two children, Retta and Frank O., both born in Putnam County. Is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; was elected Sheriff in 1854, and County Clerk in 1857, which office he has since held. His place, known as "Hartzella", covers the site of the old trading house erected in 1817. It is a natural grove of twenty-two acres, beautifully situated on the bank of the Illinois River, one mile above Hennepin, and contains specimens of every native tree in Northern Illinois.
January 21, 1904
A.T. Purviance Passes away Thursday at 12:20 p.m.
Amos T. Purviance was born near Smithfield, Jefferson county, Ohio, March 6, 1823. At the age of 16 years, he entered the office of the Steubenville Herald. Soon after learning the printer's trade, in connection with a cousin who was an attorney, he purchased the paper which they published for about a year and on selling out he came west.
Previously Mr. Purviance was married Aug. 7, 1843, in Jefferson county, Ohio, to Miss Mary Ong. They came to Putnam county in the spring of 1847 and located on a farm and for seven years, he devoted himself to farming. In September 1853, he moved to Hennepin, where he clerked in E.F. Pulsifer's dry goods store, and in 1854 was elected sheriff of Putnam County, in which office he served for two years, and the following year was a member of the dry goods firm of Grable, Cowles & Purviance. In 1857 he was first elected County Clerk and was repeatedly re-elected until he had filled the office for 41 consecutive years. Aug. 7, 1895, Mr. Purviance and his estimable wife celebrated their golden wedding.
His whole life, socially and politically, was singularly pure and lofty. He joined the I.O.O.F. lodge meeting, Oct. 14, 1853, and has been a stalwart supporter of that body up to time of his death. Funeral services were conducted at the home Sunday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by Rev. W.L. Douglas, and followed by services the cemetery by the I.O.O.F. lodge, which were very impressive. Truly, one of Putnam county's able men has left us. The family are very grateful to all who kindly assisted them in the care and burial of their beloved father. Those present from abroad were Robt. Pettibone of Chicago, Hon A.W. Hopkins of Granville, John Swaney, Amos Wilson, Abel and Perry Mills, Judges Mills and McNabb, John Sutherland and wife of Magnolia and a large number of brother Odd Fellows from Henry, Granville and Bureau.
More About AMOS T. PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1850, Farmer
Residence: 1850, Putnam Co. IL
Occupation: 1860-1880, County Clerk
Residence: 1860-1880, Hennepin Twp., Putnam Co. IL
Children of AMOS PURVIANCE and MARY ONG are:
i. SARAH MARGARET3 PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1850, Illinois.
More About SARAH MARGARET PURVIANCE:
Other Info: 1850, age 6 months in census
ii. FRANK O. PURVIANCE.
3. JOHN2 PURVIANCE (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1834 in Ohio. He married RACHEL.
More About JOHN PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1860-1880, Farmer
Residence: 1860-1880, Granville Twp, Putnam Co IL
Children of JOHN PURVIANCE and RACHEL are:
7. i. IDA A.3 PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1856, Putnam Co IL; d. May 17, 1921, Tiglelee, Iowa.
ii. ELVIRA PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1858, Putnam Co IL.
8. iii. MELISSA J. PURVIANCE, b. June 1860, Putnam Co IL.
iv. WILLIAM PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1862, Putnam Co IL.
v. PLUMMER PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1870.
4. MARK2 PURVIANCE (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1843 in Ohio. He married CHESTINA.
More About MARK PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1880, Postmaster
Residence: 1880, Creston Twp, Union Co. Iowa
Children of MARK PURVIANCE and CHESTINA are:
i. SARAH M.3 PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1873, Iowa.
ii. JAMES W. PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1874, Iowa.
5. JAMES A.2 PURVIANCE (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1847 in Illinois. He married SARAH KAYS September 26, 1871 in Magnolia township, Putnam Co. IL, daughter of WILLIAM KAYS and OIIVE HAILEY.
More About JAMES A. PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1870, Farmer
Residence: 1870, Granville Twp., Putnam Co. IL
Other Info: 1870, Living with brother Price
Occupation: 1880, Farmer
Residence: 1880, Buffalo twp, Barton Co. Kansas
Marriage Notes for JAMES PURVIANCE and SARAH KAYS:
October 5, 1871
Married at Magnolia, Sept. 26, by Rev. A. D. Moore, James A. Purviance and Miss Sara Kays
Children of JAMES PURVIANCE and SARAH KAYS are:
i. NORA3 PURVIANCE, b. Abt. November 1876; d. August 23, 1877, Mt. Palatine, Putnam Co. IL.
Notes for NORA PURVIANCE:
August 30, 1877
Died near Mt. Palatine, Putnam county, Aug. 23, Nora, aged 9 months, youngest daughter of James Purviance.
ii. OLIVE R. PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1874, Putnam Co IL.
iii. ELTA LEE PURVIANCE, b. Abt. 1878, Illinois.
6. ELIZA JANE2 PURVIANCE (JAMES1) was born December 1843 in Ohio, and died December 21, 1926 in Granville Twp, Putnam Co. IL. She married FORRISTALL Bef. 1873.
More About ELIZA JANE PURVIANCE:
Occupation: 1880, House Keeper
Residence: 1880-1900, Granville Twp., Putnam Co. IL
Other Info: 1900, Living with brother Price Purviance
Children of ELIZA PURVIANCE and FORRISTALL are:
9. i. ORLANDO3 FORRISTALL, b. October 1871, Illinois.
ii. ELVIRA FORRISTALL, b. July 1873, Illinois.
10. iii. LULA A. FORRISTALL, b. March 1870, Putnam Co IL.
Generation No. 3
6. IDA A.3 PURVIANCE (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1856 in Putnam Co IL, and died May 17, 1921 in Tiglelee, Iowa. She married EDWARD J. CULP April 19, 1874 in Tiskilwa, Bureau Co. IL.
More About EDWARD J. CULP:
Occupation: 1880, Farmer
Residence: 1880, Hennepin township, Putnam Co. IL
Marriage Notes for IDA PURVIANCE and EDWARD CULP:
April 30, 1874
Married At Tiskilwa, April 19, Edwin J. Culp and Miss Ida, daughter of John Purviance.
Child of IDA PURVIANCE and EDWARD CULP is:
i. ALTA M.4 CULP, b. Abt. 1877, Putnam Co IL.
8. MELISSA J.3 PURVIANCE (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born June 1860 in Putnam Co IL. She married PERRY M. MCKISSON January 16, 1877 in Hennepin, Putnam Co IL.
More About PERRY M. MCKISSON:
Occupation: 1880, Farmer
Residence: 1880, Magnolia Township, Putnam Co. IL
Marriage Notes for MELISSA PURVIANCE and PERRY MCKISSON:
January 25, 1877
At Hennepin, Jan. 16, at the residence of John Purviance, the bride's father, by Rev. A. J. Bailey, Perry M. McKisson to Miss Melissa J. Purviance, all of Putnam county.
Children of MELISSA PURVIANCE and PERRY MCKISSON are:
i. DAUGHTER4 MCKISSON, b. Abt. 1878, Putnam Co IL.
ii. JOHN W. MCKISSON, b. 1880, Putnam Co IL.
More About JOHN W. MCKISSON:
Other Info: 1880, age 4 months in census
9. ORLANDO3 FORRISTALL (ELIZA JANE2 PURVIANCE, JAMES1) was born October 1871 in Illinois. He married LIZZIE DEININGER Abt. 1893, daughter of JOHN DEININGER and CAROLINE ZIMMERMAN.
Children of ORLANDO FORRISTALL and LIZZIE DEININGER are:
i. EARLY C.4 FORRISTALL, b. April 06, 1899.
ii. FLOYD FORRISTALL, b. April 1894.
iii. GEORGE C. FORRISTALL, b. June 1896.
iv. FAY FORRISTALL, b. June 1897.
10. LULA A.3 FORRISTALL (ELIZA JANE2 PURVIANCE, JAMES1) was born March 1870 in Putnam Co IL. She married CHARLES REGINOLD July 31, 1889 in Hennepin, Putnam Co. IL, son of OLIVER REGINOLD and CATHERINE.
More About CHARLES REGINOLD:
Occupation: 1900, Farmer
Residence: 1900, Granville Twp., Putnam Co. IL
Marriage Notes for LULA FORRISTALL and CHARLES REGINOLD:
August 8, 1889
Married at Hennepin, July 31, at M.E. parsonage, by Rev. D.C. Martin, Charles Reginold and Lula Forrestal, both of Putnam County
Children of LULA FORRISTALL and CHARLES REGINOLD are:
i. MALVIN4 REGINOLD, b. September 1890, Putnam Co IL.
ii. DORWIN REGINOLD, b. December 1891, Putnam Co IL.
iii. VIOLA REGINOLD, b. February 1895, Putnam Co IL.
iv. PEARL REGINOLD, b. June 1897, Putnam Co IL.
Back to Putnam County Illinois History and Genealogy
Back to Illinois Genealogy Trails History and Genealogy