Putnam County, Illinois History and Genealogy
Owen W. Allen, although now living in Henry, is still the owner of valuable farming property comprising three hundred and ninety acres in Putnam county. He was born in Putnam county, Illinois, in 1851 and is a son of James and Rosanna (Cassell) Allen, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. The father was of Irish lineage and came to Illinois about 1845, settling in Putnam county upon a farm. He was accompanied by his family, consisting of wife and three children, and he carried on general agricultural pursuits, becoming a prosperous farmer and stockraiser of that community. An earnest Christian gentlemen, he held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, was one of its officers and one of its most active and influential workers. His political views were in accord with the principles of the republican party. By his friends and neighbors he was usually known by the term of uncle, which indicates the love and esteem which were entertained for him by all who knew him. He died in 1886 at the age of seventy-one years and left his family a most honored name. His wife survived him until 1890 and passed away at the age of seventy-four years. She was of German lineage and was a daughter of William Cassell, one of the heroes of the Revolutionary war. Her Christian faith was manifest in her membership in the Wesleyan Methodist church. She became the mother of eight children. Margaret, who married William Reynolds, a school teacher and grain merchant, died in 1861. William has also passed away. Jane is the wife of Joseph Umbarger, a retired farmer living in Melvin, Ford county, Illinois. Eliza is the wife of George Forney, also a retired, farmer of Ford county. Angeline is deceased. Owen W. is the next of the family. Nellie became the wife of Anthony Chance and has passed away. Cora married Samuel Eberly, a music teacher, who is also deceased.
[Source: 1907 Past and Present of Putnam and Marshall County by John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Page 332 - Contributed by Nancy Piper]
Andrew L. Anderson; a prosperous and enterprising farmer on section 20, Granville township, is a native of Abbekos, Sweden, born October 7, 1854. His father, who bore the same name, was a. fisherman of that town but is now deceased. The mother, however, still lives at the old home in Sweden.
Andrew Anderson spent his boyhood days in his native village and went with his father on his fishing trips, not for pastime but for the purpose of earning a living. He was a young man in his twentieth year when he came to America.
He felt that advancement in his native country would be slow and desired to enjoy the .broader business opportunities of the new world. Making his way into the interior of the country he secured .employment as a farm hand in Putnam County upon the farm of A. D. Fisher, who now lives near Granville. For three and a half years he remained and then returned to his old home in Sweden, when he again took up his abode in Putnam county and he worked for two and a half years more at farm labor; and then in company with his brother-in-law, rented land and engaged in farming on his own account. A year subsequent he removed to La Salle County and rented a farm of Joel Hopkins just over the Putnam county line, continuing to operate that tract of land for ten years, in which period he saved his earnings, thus accumulating a competence that enabled him to purchase a farm for himself. In 1895 he bought the place that is now known as the John Foley farm, comprising one hundred and eighty-seven and a half acres of land. It was an improved farm, thus the farm was under cultivation and it had some buildings upon it but they -were old and the house was burned down three years before. Mr. Anderson built a new residence, has built a new barn and has laid many rods of tiling to the value of several hundred dollars, thus draining and enriching _ his land. In other ways he has improved the farm until it is today a valuable property and brings forth rich crops of the cereals best adapted to soil and climate. All that he has, has been won through his own persistency of purpose and careful management and he is now successfully carrying on general farming, raising both stock and grain.
Mr. Anderson has found a most able assistant and helpmate in his wife, to whom he was married December 7, 1880. She bore the maiden name of Ingrid Matson, a native of Sweden. She is a sister of Lars Matson, who is living near Granville, and of whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. She came to this country with her husband in 1877, after he had made a trip to the old world. Eleven children have been born of their marriage, of whom three died in infancy, while the eldest son, Anton, died at .the age of twenty-one years. Those still living are: Elmer, who married Edith Nelson and is living on the Harper farm in Granville township; Herman, who is clerking in the Hopkins Bank in Granville; Nelson, Mildred, Carl, Bertha and Orville, all at home.
Mr. Anderson was reared in the faith of the Lutheran church but is now a member of the Congregational church, at Granville. He votes with the Republican Party and is well informed on the great. .political questions, thus being able to sup, port his position by intelligent argument. For two terms he served, as school director but public office has had no attraction for him. He is a stanch advocate of the cause of temperance, which he, supports both by precept and example, and his life is an honorable and upright one in harmony with his professions, being characterized by unfaltering fidelity to the principles which work for righteousness and for the good of the community.
[Source: 1907 Past and Present of Putnam and Marshall County by John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Page 506-507- Contributed by Nancy Piper]
James N. Anderson is now living retired in Hennepin, but for many years has been closely associated with agricultural interests in Putnam county, He has long since passed the Psalmists span of three score years and ten, having reached the age of seventy-eight years, his birth having occurred in Philadelphia on the 2d of May, 1828. His parents were Robert and Ann (Crosby) Anderson, the former a native of Scotland, whence he came to America in 1801, being at that time about twenty-one years of age. For twenty-one years he worked for a man by the name of Israel Lobb upon a farm in Pennsylvania, and while thus engaged he was married. Subsequently he removed to Montgomery County, Ohio, where he bought a farm of one hundred acres, nearly all of which was wild land. This he cleared and developed into productive fields, making his home thereon until his death, which occurred when he had reached the very venerable age of eighty-five years. His wife, who was born in Philadelphia, died in Montgomery County, Ohio, at the age of sixty-eight years. In their family were four children, of whom James N. was the second in order of birth and the only one now living. The others were Margaret, who became Mrs. Addison and died in Montgomery county, Ohio; Elizabeth, who died in her fathers home; and Robert, who passed away in Emmet county, Iowa, about two years ago.
James N. Anderson, reared under the parental roof, attended the common schools, and at the age of twenty years began earning his own living. He worked at carpentering and at farm labor, and soon afterward he engaged in farming on his own account and lived at home. However; he made further arrangements for having a home of his own by his marriage on the 2d of June, 1852, to Miss Mary B. McCabe, who was born in Hightstown, New Jersey, January 4, 1826, a daughter of Isaac and Rachel J. (Brown) McCabe, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of New Jersey. At an early day they removed to Ohio, and the father worked at the carpenter's trade, which he made his life occupation.
Following his marriage Mr. Anderson purchased a farm of one hundred and five acres in the county of his nativity and there lived until 1867, when he came to Putnam county, Illinois, and purchased a farm of one hundred and eighty acres in Granville township, near Mount Palatine. This farm was considered an improved property in those days. Upon it was a small frame house, a log stable with thatched roof and a fence built of poles and posts. The farm, however, had been rented and had grown up in weeds. Mr. Anderson at once began its further development and cultivation and made his home thereon until 1889, during which time he transformed the place into rich and productive fields and made many substantial modern improvements thereon. In 1889 he retired from active business and removed to Hennepin. He had, however, in the meantime built a new house and barns upon his place and had added eighty acres to his land. He had also invested about fifteen hundred dollars in tile and had drained his place until it was one of the best farms of the county. He retained the ownership of this property until about two years ago, when he sold out. In the meantime he had purchased land in Missouri, and has given to each of his children one hundred and fifty-seven and a half acres.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were born a daughter and three sons: Annie, now the wife of Fred Stansell, a resident of Knox county, Missouri; by whom she has three children; William J., who died at the age of twenty-three months; Isaac, who died at the age of four years; and Phillip B., who wedded Martha Stansell and is living upon a farm in Knox county, Missouri. They have two children. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have recently returned from a visit to their children in Missouri, whither they go every year. In 1902 they celebrated their golden wedding, their children being at home, and over fifty invited guests were present, making the day a most memorable and enjoyable one.
For more than a half century Mr. Anderson has been an Odd Fellow. His political support is given to the democracy, and his first presidential vote was cast for Franklin Pierce. He delights to tell of the pioneer days, and recalls many interesting experiences of the times when ox teams were used in breaking the land and tilling the fields, and when nearly all of the work was done by hand. He has watched with interest the progress of events that have occurred, bringing about a wonderful transformation in the county, and though he retains pleasant recollections of the early times when almost every home was noted for its hospitality, he yet rejoices in what has been accomplished as the work of improvement has been carried forward. He and his wife now have a nice home in the city of Hennepin, and he takes great delight in the well kept appearance of the place. His rest is well merited, being the fitting reward of many years of earnest toil.
Daniel Axline, one of the leading farmers of precinct N., Seward county, Nebraska, was born on the 22nd of June, 1856, in Putnam County, Illinois and is a son of Aaron and Ann (Street) Axline and a grandson of Jacob and Tracy Street. At an early day his father located in Putnam County, Illinois, and from there removed to Marshall County, that state, where he purchased four eighty-acre tracts of land and engaged in farming until within three years of his death, which occurred in the autumn of 1884, when in his seventy-fourth year. In his family were seven children, namely: John W., Kate, Theodore, Clara A., Mary E., Clarence A. and Daniel, all of whom are married and have homes of their own.
The boyhood and youth of Daniel Axline were passed on his father's farm, where he remained until his marriage on the 22d of February 1877, Miss Mary Evangeline Horner becoming his wife. She was born in La Salle County, Illinois and they had been acquainted for about six years. Her father, James Horner, was a native of the north of Ireland, and when a lad of eight years was brought to the new world by his parents, John and Jane (Spears) Horner, who settled in Illinois about twenty-four miles north of Chicago, which at that time was only a small village on a wet prairie. There James Horner grew to manhood and married Miss Almira Angeline Day, who was born near Rome, Oneida County, New York. He was one of a family of nine children, six sons and three daughters, in order of their birth being as follows: Mary, James, William, David, John, Amos, Loftus, Eliza and Laura Jane. Mr. and Mrs. Horner removed to La Salle County Illinois, where Mrs. Axline was born, June 10, 1853, and attended the common schools, completing her education, however, in the high school of the city of Wenona, Illinois. She is the third in order of birth in a family of eight children, the others being as follows: Josephine, Thomas, Ida F., Delbert J., Grant W., Eddie D. and Ira S. With the exception of Grant W., who makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Axline, all are married and have good homes of their own.
For nine years after his marriage Mr. Axline engaged in agricultural pursuits upon one of his father's farms in Illinois, and then loading his effects into cars started for Seward County, Nebraska. Here, they located on a farm on section 25, precinct N, belonging to Mrs. Axline's father, and to its cultivation and improvement he had devoted his energies with marked success. Five children have come to brighten the home, namely: James H., Ida L., Laura I., Ernest R. and Oral D., who are still under the parental roof and are able assistants of their parents in the work of the house and fields. Mr. and Mrs. Axline take an active interest in every enterprise calculated to advance the moral, educational and material welfare of the community, and are recognized as valued and useful citizens of sterling worth and strict integrity.
[Source: Memorial and Biographical Record and Illustrated Compendium of Biography of Butler, Polk, Seward, York and Fillmore Counties, Nebraska, Geo. A. Ogle & Co. 1890]