Transcribed by Nancy Piper
Page 651 Hennepin Township
A manufacturer of boots and shoes and dealer in ready-made clothing, in Hennepin. Was born in Prussia in 1824, came to the Untied States in 1850, and located in Hennepin in 1851. He worked at his trade as a journeyman until 1853, when he started in business for himself. In 1853 he married Agnes Waggoner, a native of Bavaria. They have four children, George, Mar E., Modasta T. and Josephine. Are members of the Catholic church.
Mr. Schitz is a farmer and was born in Germany in 1814, emigrating to this country in 1864, and locating in Putnam county. His wife's maiden name was Karley, and she likewise came from Germany. Two children were born to them, Margaret and Herbert. She died in 1870. Mr. Schitz has since wedded Mary Scharts, a member of the Catholic church.
William S. Schmid
Page 660 Magnolia Township
Mr. Schmid is a merchant, residing and doing business in Mount Palatine. He was born in Switzerland, in 1838, came to the United States in 1855, and located in Peru, Ill. In 1866 he married Mrs. Barbara Kleinsmitz, a native of Bavaria. She has one child by a former marriage, Mary R. Kleinsmitz, born September 24, 1860. Mr. S. is a Lutheran, while his wife and daughter belong to the Catholic church. August 9, 1861, Mr. Schmid enlisted in Co. K. 11th Ill. Vol. Inf., as a corporal, and served under General Grant until 17th October, 1865. He carried a general stock of goods suitable to hs trade.
Page 669 Granville Township
Mr. Schneider is a Prussian by birth, from whence he emigrated in 1857, when thirty-one years old. His wife was a fellow countrywoman with himself, to whom he was married in 1859. They have two children, John and Katie, and are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Schneider is a teacher in the Sabbath school, and takes a deep interest in church and educational matters. He owns a good farm of 80 acres, and is an unusually intelligent and well read German American farmer.
Dr. J. H. Seaton
Page 652 Hennepin Township
A physician and druggist of Hennepin, was born in Indiana in 1836, and educated at the Wabash college. August 18th, 1862 he enlisted in the 6th Indiana Cavalry and served until the close of the war, two years of which time he occupied the position of hospital steward. In 1866 he married Ardelia Zenor, a native of this county, adopted Hennepin as his permanent location, and started in his present business. They have four children, Nellie, Alice, Annie and Ida. Dr. S. is a member of the I.O.O.F. is superintendent of schools, and a member of the board of town trustees.
Mr. Debold is a farmer living on section 14. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1823, and came to the United States in 1849, first locating in Butler co., Ohio, whence he moved to this county in 1854. In 1849 he married Christiana Souft, also a native of Bavaria. They have six children - Barbara, Margaret, Conrad, Christiana, Eliza and Frederick. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic order, was school director 16 years and road commissioner six years. He owns 280 acres, all in good state of cultivation, with very good improvements.
Page 669 Granville Township
The subject of this sketch is a farmer, born in Oneida county, New York in 1844. When the war broke out he was living in this state, and was one of the first to offer his services, going out in the 13th Ill. Vol., and participating in all the hard fought battles in which it was engaged. When his term of service expired he went into the Board of Trade Battery, Chicago, and served until the close of the war. Receiving his discharge, he returned to Illinois, and settled in Granville, where he married Cornelia Ham and turned farmer. They are members of the Presbyterian church. Mr. S. cultivates 140 acres of land, and proves that good soldiers make good neighbors and generally succeed in their undertakings.
John F. Shepherd
Page 664 Granville township
Mr. Shepherd is an old resident of Granville, coming here in 1834. He was born in Norton, Mass., in 1824, coming here with his father, who purchased from government the present site of Granville, at $1.25 per acre. When sixteen years of age Mr. Shepherd began farming, and September 16th, 1849, consummated the most important event of his life by marrying Miss Juliette Richardson, in Peoria - a native of Muskingum county, Ohio. They have four children living - Levi L., Eliza (Mrs. Penfield), Daniel, Franklin L. and Eva; and two deceased, Lucy and Juliette. Are members of the Baptist Church, of which Mr. S. is trustee. Mr. and Mrs. Shepherd are always found on the right side in any movement whose object is to benefit mankind. They take a deep interest in Sabbath school and temperance work, and are outspoken in condemnation of wrong. They have achieved a comfortable independence, and in their pleasant home, surrounded by books and papers, enjoying the companionship of friends and children, their day go happily by.
(pg. 635 and 636)
Mr. Shepherd is a retired farmer, living on section 31, who was born in Adams county, Ohio, December 6th, 1804. He came to Putnam county in 1829, and located on the place on which he still lives. Along with his brother, who had previously visited the country, he started from Ripley, Ohio, coming by steamboat to St. Louis. No steamers navigated the Illinois then; and transportation being carried on by means of keel boats, propelled by man power, he struck out for Bond county, where he had some friends, who furnished him with a horse, upon which he mounted, and, accompanied by a man named McCord, turned northward.
The first day they encountered a heavy rain, and the second suffered much from thirst. Seeing a cabin, they rode up and asked for a drink, to which the proprietor responded by giving them a gourd full dipped from a stagnant pool in the yard. They drank but little, but it made them deathly sick. Making for the timber, they lay down, McCord going into a heavy sleep. Shepherd presently recovered and strove some time vainly to waken McCord. Finally he opened his eyes, looking so ill that S. thought he would die. After some exertion he got him on his horse and they rode on. At Jacksonville they separated.
From here he had a Frenchman for a companion, with whom he traveled two days, reaching a place called the Rapids for breakfast. Enquiring how far it was to the next house he was told it was thirty miles. A deer path across the prairie was pointed out and his horse being tired he dismounted and drove it before him, reaching Jesse Robert's place at sundown. His brother, who embarked on a keelboat, soon after arrived with his wife and goods. That winter all lived in a cabin together.
They all got the ague and suffered greatly. Their provisions gave out, and as they were too sick to go after more they had to subsist on potatoes and milk. Soon after he started to return to Ohio, where he married Miss Mary Beard, September 8, 1831. She was a native of Lincoln county, North Carolina. On their return they traveled in wagons, meeting with many mishaps and adventure incident to a new country. On his arrival he built a cabin, and has resided there ever since, the primitive dwelling giving way to a fine modernized residence, and the bleak prairie to a well cultivated farm.
They have five children living, and five who were born to them have passed over the river. The living are Lyle, Albert, John B., J. Harvey and Austin M. Mr. Shepherd has served his township as supervisor, township trustee and road commissioner. Himself and wife have long been members of the Presbyterian church, and honored and respected members of society. He has a large farm and his old age is blessed with an abundance of this worlds's goods.
Thomas W. Shepard
Page 643-644 Hennepin Township
Mr. Shepard was born in Mason county, Kentucky, in 1812 and when still a boy removed to Indiana. He came to Putnam county in 1835, and married Miss Catherine Ham in 1844. She was born in New York. Seven children have been the result of the union, Rachel, James, Thomas, George E., Ella, Richard and Eli Grant. Mr. Shepard has always taken an active interest in public schools, having served 14 years as director, and several as road commissioner. He is a large landholder owning 335 acres, besides other property; is a member of the Local Protective Society, organized for the apprehension of horse-theives and the protection of property. In early life he followed boating, and after coming to Illinois worked at wagon making; was in the lumber business some time, and one year sold goods in Florid; has been extensively engaged in the ice trade, following it seven years; has been a farmer thirty-five years, and, in addition to his home farms, owns a section of land in Kansas and lands in Winsonsin.
William W. Shepherd
Page 663 Granville Township
Mr. Shepherd lives on section 8 in Granville township, and was born in Brown county, Ohio, in 1832. He married Mary A. Moore in 1860, born and reared in this county. They have four children born to them - Etta M., L. Verner, Harry L. and Sarah. Are members of the Congregational church in Granville. Mr. Shepherd owns eighty acres of well cultivated land, which he farms in person.
Page 657 Magnolia Township
Mr. Shields was born in Morgan county, Indian, and came to this country with his parents in 1833, was raised and educated on a farm, and through his own exertions has made himself wealthy and the owner of one of the best farms in Putnam county. In 1852 he married Jane Harris, born in Schuyler county, who became the mother of eight children, Laura E., Franklin P., Clara A., Jennette E., Bernard M., Sarah E., James W., and Araminta B. Mrs. S. died April 16, 1876. In 1878 he married Rebecca P. Smith to whom one child has been given, Harry C. Mr. Shields is a member of the Masonic order and among his friends liberal, hospitable and social. He has served his township as supervisor, assessor, etc., besides filling minor offices. He owns a finely cultivated farm of 396 acres.
Mr. Shields is a farmer, living on section 24. He was born in Morgan county, Indiana, February 8, 1825, and came to this county along with his father when eight years old. The Shields family is one of the oldest in the county, and well known. In 1847 he married Mary Stateler, and to them two children were born William Henry and Catharine, who afterward became Mrs. Hiltabrand. Mr. Shields is a member of the Masonic order, and owns 215 acres of land, 120 of which is under cultivation.
William B. Sill
Page 668 Granville Township
Mr. Sill is a farmer living on section 17. Post office, Granville. He was born in Monroe county, Ohio in 1838, came to Illinois in 1852, locating in La Salle county and thence moved to Granville in 1860. In 1864 he went to Montana, engaged in mining four years, followed stock raising about eight years and in 1876 returned to Granville. In 1874 he married Mattie A. Harper, a native of this county. They have one child Minnie Montana. Mrs. Sill died in 1879. Mr. Still is a member of the I.O.O.F. He owns a finely cultivated farm with first-class improvements.
L. B.(Linus Bacon) Skeel
Mr. Skeel is a farmer, was born in New York state, March 28, 1811, and located in this county in 1830. Oct. 19, 1819 (1829?), he married Miss Minerva Payne, a native of Indiana, who died March 27th 1847, leaving three children - Albert M., Mary E. (Fisher) and Carrie (Cotting).Nov. 25th, 1847, he married Miss Flora Morrison, his present wife, who was born in Argyle, Scotland, in 1824. Five children have blessed their union, - Nathan, Olive (Folley), William L., John F. and Flora M. They are members of the Congregational church. Mr. Skeel owns 244 acres of land, under perfect cultivation and thoroughly fenced, principally with hedges. His mother died in October 1879, at the advanced age of 91 yars. His father built and introduced the first threshing machine in this section, taking his material from the logs of an old cabin at Pekin, the only thoroughly seasoned timber procurable.
Page 669 Granville Township
The subject of this sketch lives on section 35, and was born in Germany in 1844 and came to the United States 1868. He first located in La Salle county and remained there eight years after which he settled in Putnam. In 1867 he married Effie Novolk, born in Poland. They have four children, John, Joseph, Martin and Frank. Are members of the Catholic church in La Salle. He owns one hundred acres under cultivation and in timber, and has very good improvements upon it.
Edwin R. Spencer
This gentleman, a livery proprietor and U. S. mail contractor, was born in Duchess county, N.Y. in 1832. He came West in 1845, locating first in Terre Haute, Ind., but finally in this county. In 1874 he married Miss N. Jane Hailey, a native of Missouri. They ahve one child, Edwin, born in 1877. Mr. Spencer is a member of the Masonic order. He has been a mail contractor for many years. Mr. Thomas Hailey, father of Mrs. Spencer, moved to Ox Bow in 1829.
Page 659 Magnolia Township
A farmer located in section 4, his post office address being Cottage Hill. Mr. Springer was born in Fayette county, Pa., in 1852, settled in Putnam county in 1875, and the same year married Miss Sarah A. Dininger, who is also a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children, Drusilla H. and Carrie May. Mr. S. owns 95 acres of land in a good state of cultivation.
B. H. Smith (Beriah Hartshorn Smith)
Page 668 Granville Township
Farmer, born in New London, Conn., in 1803, he resided in his native state and in Herkimer and Orleans counties, New York until 1847, when he came west and located in Magnolia township. In 1829 he married Philena Morton, who was born in South Deerfield, Mass., in 1811. They have had eight children of whom there are now living Julia (Laughlin), Charles E., Edward, Sarah A. (Warlaw), Chester M. and Augusta. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1879 and have twenty-five grandchildren living. Mr. Smith was for several years commissioner of highways and a member of the board of school directors. He also served as commissioner of highways while a resident of New York. He has been a membr of the Masonic order for fifty years. Owns 360 acres of land.
Don C. Smith
Page 672 Senachwine Township
Mr. Smith was born in Onondaga county, New York, in 1820 and is a son of William M. and Hannah Smith. He learned the ship carpenter's trade for a profession and in 1843 sailed a vessel on the lakes, of which he was part owner. In 1845 he sailed for Liverpool as ship captain, in 1846 was at Haiti during the Spanish insurrection, visited most of the West India Islands, following the sea for 12 years. Came to Chicago in 1847 and to Bureau county in 1858 where he lived sixteen years. He enlisted in the 66th Regiment and served until disabled by a gun shot wound when he was mustered out. In 1859 he married Margaret E. Cox, and moved to Senachwine in 1875. They have one son.
E. C. Smith (Ellis C. Smith)
Page 665 Granville Township
Mr. Smith is a teamster residing in Granville. He was born in Frederick, Md., in 1820, removed to Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1852, but remained there only a short time, coming to Hennepin the same year. In 1848 he married Sarah J. Davis, a native of Ohio. They have three children living, William F., Amos P. and Oscar. Mr. Smith has filled the position of street commissioner, and has been three years a constable, an office he still holds. He owns a house and three lots in Granville. In 1862 he enlisted in company E., 4th Ill. Cavalry, and served to the close of the war. He was captured by the rebel General Forbes in 1862 and paroled on the field. He participated in all the actions in which his regiment was engaged during the war.
Eliza W. Smith
Page 658 Magnolia Township
This lady, widow of Mr. Jesse Smith, resides on her farm in Section 13, her post office being Clear Creek. She was born in Adams county Pa., in 1809, came west with her mother and brother in 1837, locating in Putnam county, and in 1845 was married to Mr. Smith. In 1869 her husband died, leaving two children by a former marriage, Henry R. and Oliver, and three deceased. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Society of Friends, is a pleasant, matronly old lady, young looking and active for one of her age. She owns one hundred aces of well improved land.
Page 656 Magnolia Township
Mr. Smith is a farmer living on section 33, Magnolia township. He was born in North Carolina in 1805. His parents came to Sangamon county in 1815. He came to this county in 1830, and located on his present farm in 1831. He married Harriet Thurman in 1840, who was born in New York State. She died July 19, 1858, leaving six children, Irvin O., Ellen A., Franklin, Laura M., Harriet M. and James C. In March, 1859, he married Mrs. Jemina Kays (Reed) by whom he has two children, Katie r. and Eva M. He has been school director several times owns 330 acres of land in Putnam county and also 320 in Clark county, Iowa.
Page 658 Magnolia Township
Mr. Smith is a farmer, living on section 15, who was born in Washington county, Pa., in 1841 and came West with his parents the succeeding year. In 1878 he married Huldah R. Mills, a native of his county. They have one child, William Eddy. Mrs. S is a member of the Society of Friends. Mr. Smith owns fifty-nine acres of improved land in this county, in addition to which he cultivates a rented farm. He also owns 160 acres of land in Kansas.
Samuel H. Smith
Page 651 Hennepin Township
Mr. Smith is an attorney at law and lumber dealer in Hennepin. He was born in Trenton, N.J. in 1835, and with his parents came to Putnam county the same year. In 1858 he married Mary J. Schooler, a native of this county, and daughter of Hugh N. Schooler, one of the first settlers. They have four children, Collins D., Mary L., Collie S. and Hugh N. Mr. S. was admitted to the bar in 1869, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession. Commenced the lumber business in 1876. Is a member of the Masonic order.
Page 652 Hennepin Township
Mr. Smith, of Smith & McCormick hardware dealers in Hennepin, was born at Dumfrieshire, Scotland in 1832. He came to the United States in 1849f and located in this county in 1858. He followed the avocation of a clerk until 1877, when he went into business for himself as a member of the firm of Markley & Smith, which connection continued one year, at the expiration of which time he formed a partnership with Mr. McCormick. In 1862 he enlisted in company E. 124th Ill. Volunteer Infantry and served until the close of the war, most of the time as a non-commissioned officer. In 1856 Mr. Smith married Caroline Wire, a native of Pennsylvania, though raised in Ohio. They have four children, Jennie E. (now a teacher Abingdon), Philip A., Mary B. and Carrie Irene. Mr. S. is a member of the M. E. church and Mrs. S. of Congregational church. He is now general dealer in stoves, tinware and glass.
William A. Smith
Page 657 Magnolia Township
Mr. Smith is a farmer born in Grant county, Indiana, in 1829, and settled on Oxbow prairie in 1851. His wife who died in 1872, was Margaret Trone whom he wedded in 1860 and who bore him three children, Alvah H., Willie d. and Maggie P. In 1876 he was married to Mrs. Annie Williams, by whom he has one child, Bertha E. He owns 50 acres of land and cultivates 136 acres besides.
Page 770-771 Appendix
Senachwine Township, Putnam County, Illinois
The subject of this sketch was born in County Limerick, Ireland, November 19th, 1819, a son of James and Mary Atkins Sparling, and is descended from the Palatines, a body of 110 familes of Germans from the Palatinate on the Rhine, who embarked for the new world in the reign of Queen Anne, and were shipwrecked on the coast of Ireland. To this German colony is due the honor of furnishing the first Methodist preacher to the United States in the person of Philip Embury, a connection of the Sparling family. When Mr. Sparling was but two years old his father died from exposure while serving as a soldier in the Irish rebellion of 1822-23. Three brothers of his mother were then living in America - two in Canada and one in Clare county, Indiana, and at their earnest solicitations the finally in 1832 started with her two children, George and a sister younger, for the new world.
Arrived in Quebec, Mr. Sparling, then a boy of 12, was prostrated with ship fever and taken to the hospital, and before his recovery his mother fell a victim to the cholera, at that time alarmingly prevalent and fatal in Quebec. He recovered to find himself an orphan among strangers, frantic with grief at the loss of his mother, and unable to gain any trace of his sister. He found a home with Dr. Marsden, hospital physician, and worked in his dispensary about two months, when learning that his sister had been sent by the Bishop of Quebec to their uncle, near Montreal, he availed himself of the Bishop's generous assistance in his own behalf and joined his sister at the home of his uncle Philip, where he was received as one risen from the dead. After living with one Captain Williams about two years, where he had an excellent home and was kindly treated, his uncle Robert, at whose instance (insistence) the family had come to America, and who lived in Upper Canada, 40 miles north of Toronto, claimed custody of the children and took them to his home. Here they were first compelled to do hard work, threshing, clearing, hoeing, planting and other work incident to a farm in a new country. One year of this life determined young Sparling to quit his uncle and learn a trade, and he bound himself to a carpenter for four years.
At the expiration of one-half his term of apprenticeship his employer went into the rebellion of 1837, and being defeated was compelled to leave the country. Young Sparling was left in charge of his employer's property and business, and faithfully attended to it until the following spring, when a letter from his employer summoned him to Niagara Falls, where he had taken a contract. Here they worked two or three months; then went to Tonswanos, at the mouth of the Erie Canal; then to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Mackinaw, Milwaukee and finally to the lumber regions of Michigan, where they worked at their trade until both were prostrated with ague, when they embraced the first opportunity and went to Chicago. Here they worked some time for Mr. Sherman, the proprietor of the Sherman House, and for Mr. Ryan, of the Vermont House, refusing in payment for their labor town lots upon the present court house site at the rat of one lot each for a month's work. From Chicago they came to Dixon, Ill., when Mr. Sparling's employer returned to Canada for his family. On the journey to Dixon Mr. Sparling was prostrated by a severe attack of bilious fever, which lasted about one month, and just as he was recovering from that he became again a victim to the ague, from which he had fled in Michigan, and which hung to him for six years. The winter succeeding his arrival in Dixon he entered a claim, but abandoned it in the spring and bought another partially improved. On this he ereced a log house, barn and corn-cribs, and cultivated ten acres of corn, working at his trade a portion of the time.
In January 1840, he came to Crow meadow, Putnam county, to work at his trade, subsequently disposing of his claim and settling at Crow Meadow, among other jobs helping to build the Bradley store-house in Henry, the first frame house finished in that place. His summer's work amounted to $200, for which he took the place upon which he now lives. January 12th, 1843, he married Adeline Morgan, a native of Connecticut and daughter of Alanson and Melinda Peters Morgan, and settled down to farming and the development of the fishery interests at Senachwine Lake. He bought the most valuable tracts for fishery purposes, amounting in the aggregate to some 800 acres, and for 35 years carried on the fishing business on an extensive scale, his receipts for mush of the time prior to the building of the Henry dam averaging $3,000 per year. But the construction of the dam ruined the business and rendered the hundreds of acres in which he had invested his savings almost worthless.
April 13th, 1857 Mrs. Sparling died at the age of 35 years, 1 month and 7 days, leaving eight children - George Edward, born Nov. 3d, 1843; James Alanson, May 26th, 1846; Mary Melinda, Feb. 22, 1848; Helen Elizabeth, Jan. 27, 1850; William Henry, Jan. 16th, 1852; John Stanley, Dec. 10, 1853; and Adeline and Albert, twins, born August 15th, 1856. Albert died August 25th 1857, and James Alanson died May 10th, 1863. August 8th, 1858,
Mr. Sparling married Sarah McClung, daughter of Harvey and Sarah Bird McClung. She died Feb. 8th, 1871, at the age of 35 years, 5 months and 14 days, leaving six children - Martha Jane, born May 24, 1859; Sarah Evalena, born Sept. 1st, 1860; Kate Bird, born Jan. 3d, 1862; Samuel Martell, born June 8th, 1864; Lincoln Frederick, born Sept. 25, 1865; Embury Harrison, born Sept. 27th, 1867.
August 18th, 1874 he married Margret McElroy, widow of James Sparling, his cousin, she having four children by her first marriage - Charlotta, Violet, Nettie and Annie. The result of this union is two children - Susan Mabel Atkins, born Jan. 3d, 1876; Homer Lewis, born Jan. 19th, 1878. In 1844 a two-year old daughter of Lewis Thompson being deserted by its mother, Mr. Sparling adopted and raised her until she was 14 years old, making in all 21 children he has had to care of, 9 boys and 12 girls. Seven of the girls are school teachers. With the exception of four dead, one living in Iowa, they are all residents of Senachwine township, Putnam county, with the addition of ten grand children.
George F. Stanton
Page 646 Hennepin Township
Mr. Stanton was born in Fountain City, Wayne county, Indiana in 1856, and came to Hennepin, along with his parents in 1857, where he received his education and thoroughly qualified himself for his profession. He is a son of Dr. Stanton, an old and experienced physician and present treasurer of the county. George Stanton has been conversant with the drug business since he was fourteen years old, and is a careful, competent, prescription clerk. At present he is in the employ of Mr. McCook.
This gentleman is a blacksmith by trade, carrying on business at Florid in Putnam county. He was born in Prussia Germany in 1854, and came to this country in 1872, staying two years in New York, and reaching Putnam county in 1874. The year after he married Maggie Hamel, a native of the same locality with himself. They have two children, Freddie and Lewis. Mrs. S. is a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Stehl is an expert mechanic and does all kinds of repair work, horse-shoeing and jobbing. He owns a very pleasant home in Florid.
Page 673 Senachwine Township
Mr. Stickel was born July 6, 1822, in Columbiana county, Ohio, and is a son of Jacob and Sarah Neill Stickel, who came to Illinois in the fall of 1834 and located in Bureau county. In 1849 Mr. Stickel married Sarah J. Bracken, daughter of Adison and Mary Bracken. They have six children all living - Adison, Marion, Marietta, Albert, Cyrus H., William and Lina. Marietta married William Brown, and is a resident of Dallas county, Iowa. November last Mr. Stickel moved to Princeton, Bureau county, for the purpose of giving his children the benefit of the best schools there. He has served as chool director for many years; has also been supervisor, road commissioner, etc. He owns 1080 acres of land in this state and 560 acres located in the state of Iowa, and deals largely in cattle.
H. B. Stockdale
Page 652 Hennepin Township
Mr. Stockdale was born in Philadelphia in 1852 and comes from a family of more than average ability. His father was a noted educator and for several years resided over the public schools of Peru. He gave his sons a thorough business education and through them controls a larger grain business than any firm along the Illinois river, having houses at Hennepin, Bureau Junction, Peru, and elsewhere. They own several botas running upon the river and canal and have very favorable connections east. While often selling in the Chicago and Peoria markets, their principal shipments are to the seaboard and the Europe direct. Mr. Stockdale was married in 1879 to Minnie L. Eddy, of Hennepin. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.
Page 661 Magnolia Township
Mr. Studyvin lives on section 8, and his post office is at Hennepin. He was born in Fayette county, Ohio, in 1825, and came to Putnam county when a child of seven in 1832. In 1856 he wedded Abbie Mullens, born in Preble county Ohio. They have seven children, Calvin Jr., Inez M., Samuel W., Clara A., William E., Isaac A., and Maggie A. he owns 177 acres of well improved land, and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Sutcliffe first looked out upon the world in London, England in 1835. When seventeen years old he enlisted and was sent with his regiment to the Crimes, where he participated in the hard fought battles of Inkerman and Alma, and took part in the memorable siege of Sebastopol. For gallant conduct and distinguished services he was personally complimented by Queen Victoria and presented with a medal, which he retains as a family heirloom. When the Indian mutiny broke out he volunteered in the Seventy-sixty Infantry, under marching orders of Delhi, in the East Indies, where he hoped to enter upon active service, but a letter from his mother, who had preceded him to this country, decided him to emigrate here, and with much reluctance the authorities granted him an honorable discharge. He arrived here in 185. and in 1864 married Harriet L. Osborn, by whom he has two children living - Charles E. and John F., and four are dead. When the war of the rebellion broke out he promptly offered his services, enlisting in company K of the One hundred and fourth Illinois volunteer infantry, and was appointed ordinance officer of the Thirty-ninth regiment. Owing to poor health he was unable to assume duty, and was honorably discharged.
Page 661 Magnolia Township
Mr. Swaney is a farmer, residing on section 9, post office, Clear Creek. He was born in Dauphin county, Pa., in 1827, and came to this county with his uncle in 1840. In 1853 he married Mary A. Hoyle, a native of Belmont county Ohio, their children being three in number, Joseph H., Willis H. and Clarence C. Mr. S. owns 440 acres of land, all improved. He furnished a substitute during the war. Mrs. Swaney is a member of the Society of Friends.
Page 660 Magnolia Township
Postmaster, Clear Creek, Magnolia township, Illinois
Back to Putnam County Illinois History and Genealogy