The Record of Olden Times Biographical Department - Putnam County
T

Transcribed by Nancy Piper


J. H. Taggart

Page 654 Magnolia Township

Mr. Taggart is a farmer, living in Marshall county, near Magnolia. He was born in Belmont county, Ohio, in 1840, and located in Marshall county in 1863. He married Miss Josephine Murdough the same year, who is a native of Mount Pleasant, Jefferson county, Ohio, and is a lady of refinement and good education. They have four children, Lewella H., Maud M. and Fred S. Mr. Taggart is extensively engaged in stock raising, is an energetic business man, a deep reader, and well posted on the general topics of the day.


James R. Taliaferro

Page 673-674 Senachwine Township

The subject of this sketch is probably the oldest resident living in the township. He was born in Claremont county, Ohio, Oct. 10, 1810 and was a son of Richard and Rebecca Riddle Taliaferro, both from Virginia. He lived in Ohio until 18 years of age and then worked his way on a keel boat to New Orleans where he lived three years. Returning north he settled in Peoria county where an elder brother had preceded him and was the first to settle where Rome now is. In 1833 he married Charlotte Cleaveland, a daughter of Resolve and Betsey Cleaveland, of Peoria county, and to them was born eight children, but two of whom survive - Mrs. Isabel Worley, of McLean county, and Mrs. Alice J. White, at present living at the old home. Mr. T. has been a leading citizen in his township and county and has a very extensive acquaintance.

He was well acquainted with the Reeves gang and chiefly instrumental in bringing them to justice. When Cam Reeves and Allison were wanted by the authorities, and none dare make their arrest he followed them to Pekin alone, caught them ten miles below and compelled them to return. He was known to be a dead shot with the pistol, was cool in action and quick in execution and utterly fearless of consequences, which these men well knew and when he overtook them and made known his business they surrendered, though he had not even a warrant to back up his authority. When the gang was finally broken up and driven away he was present counseling and assisting.

Mr. Taliaferro settled upon his place in 1834. In the rear of his residence upon a picturesque bluff covered with pre-historic remains is the grave of the noted Indian Senachwine, whose name is given to the township. The place was long a favorite resort for the Indians and in the winter of 1384-5 (1834-5) Shaubena and a portion of his tribe were camped here. Mr. T. has a pleasant home and a kindly greeting for all who have claims upon his friendship, and though he has reached the age allotted to man by the psalmist, he is still hale and hearty and bids to live for many years.


George Taylor

Page 640

A farmer, living in section 21. He was born in Frederick county, Va., in 1811; came to this county in 1837, and permanently settled here two years later. He worked at his trade - that of a carpenter - for several years, but in 1849 turned his attention exclusively to farming. In 1841 he married Mrs. Amerilla Wycoff, a native of Ohio, by whom he has one child, Salina H. Mrs. Taylor has five children by a former marriage, Lucy, A. D., Harriet, Thos. R. and Hiram G., and one deceased. Mr. Taylor has served his township in the capacity of roadmaster, and is an estimable citizen. His home farm comprises 133 acres of land adjoining the village of Florid.


Henrietta Thiel

Page 637

Mrs. Henrietta Thiel, widow, is a successful farmer living on section 13. She was born in Germany, and came to this country in 1857, soon after her marriage. Her husband, Frederick Thiel, was also a native of Germany born in Saxony. He died December 10th, 1877, leaving six children, Frederick, Ludwick, Minnie, Henrietta, George and William. Mr. Thiel's farm embraces 123 acres of land, in a good state of cultivation. She is an estimable woman, hard working and industrious, and is raising her children in a manner creditable to herself and calculated to fit them for a life of usefulness.


Thomas C. Thorn

Page 670 Granville Township

Mr. Thorn is a tinsmith by trade and carries on the business in connection with the sale of groceries at his store in Granville. He was born in Trenton, N.J. in 1835 and came west in 1855. In 1857 he married Mary E. Zenor, of Hennepin, and to them eight children have been born. John, George, Laura, Elizabeth, Willie, Absalom, Flora and Harley. Mr. Thorn has long filled the office of town clerk, has served as justice of the peace, member of the town council and director of schools. He is a good citizen, well informed upon matters of public importance and comfortabley supplied with this world's goods.


Carver Tomlinson

Page 658 Magnolia Township

Mr. Tomlinson is an old citizen of Putnam county, coming here in 1852. He was born in Philadelphia in 1816, and when three years old accompanied his parents to Jefferson county, Ohio, where he obtained his education and in turn became a teacher. In 1844 he moved to Washington county, pa., where he married Mary A. John, a native of that county. To them six children have been given now living, viz., Josephine, Mary, Josiah, Isaac, Alice E. and Willis. He has served as school treasurer twelve years, was a teacher many years and always took a deep interest in educational matters. He is well informed in the political and religious literature of the day, does his own thinking, and stands high in the estimation of the community. He owns 228 acres of land in Magnolia township.

C. P. Towle

Page 646-647 Hennepin Township

Mr. Towle is a harness maker by trade and was born in Brunswick, Rensselaer county New York, in 1828. When two years old his parents came to Gallatin county, Illinois, and from thence they went to Hickman, Kentucky. From there they removed to Arkansas in 1850. After some staty at each place, working at his trade, he returned to Kentucky, and from thence came to Illinois in 1853. Here he married Miss S. J. Story of Granville, and they began housekeeping. They have seven children, John, Clara, Ada, Mattie, Jennie, Charloin and Walker. Is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders.

Charles Trierweiler

Page 645-646 Hennepin Township

Mr. Trierweiler is a carriage painter by trade and an extensive manufacturer of carriages, wagons, etc. He is a Prussian by birth, and was born in the town of Welschbillig, December 26, 1824. He came to the United States in 1847, locating at first in Michigan, whence he removed to Chicago, and after a short stay he started for St. Louis, taking steamboat at Peru. The boat on which he embarked stopped awhile at Hennepin, and going ashore he became interested in the ineffectual attempts of several men to shoe a wild horse. Remarking he could do the job he was invited to try his hand, which he did and succeeded. Tempting offers were made for him to remain, which he did. He worked one year for wages and another as partner. In 1850 he began business with John Hughes, and has been here ever since. In 1853 he married Susan Kneip, and is the father of five children, Lizzie, Margaret, Mary, Annie P. and Charles M. Another, Louis, died in 1879. Mr. Trierweiler is an ingenious mechanic and good workman, and does a large amount of repairing.

Walter Trone

Page 658 Magnolia Township

Mr. Trone lives on Oxbow Prairie, where he settled in 1854. He was born in York county, Pa., July 19, 1831 and in 1861 married Malvina Huber, a native of Trumbull county, Ohio. They have five children and two adopted. The names of the five are Charles W., John L., Sarah A., Grant O., and William H. Their adopted children are Mary J. Quinn and Mary E. Moore. All are members of the M.E. church. Mr. Trone owns 240 acres of well improved land, and deserves the blessings the Father of All has given him.

A. H. Turner

Page 653 Hennepin Township

Mr. Turner is a farmer and mechanic of Hennepin. Was born in Oxford county, Maine, January 9, 1810. He went to Aroostook county in 1831 where he had charge of the farm department and issuance of all suppliers for the contractor of the military road in that county, which position he held three years, when he resigned and came west. He located in Putnam county in 1845, and engaged in farming. He married Ann Law in Sept. 1837. She was a native of Frederick, New Brunswick. She died in 1847 leaving five children, Hamblin, Laura, Mary, Salome, and Begail. He married Elizabeth Nash, his present wife on August 26th 1848. She was born in Albany, N.Y. The fruits of this marriage are Daniel B., Cornelia, Henry, Frank, Lizzie and Warfield. They are members of the Presbyterian church. He was coroner one term, overseer of the poor two terms and school director some 24 years. He is a natural mechanic having studied out nearly all the mechanical arts and is proficient in many.

Charles O. Turner

Page 641

Mr. Turner is a native of Hennepin, living on section 13. He was born in 1846, and in 1867 married Mattie Mowberry, also born in Hennepin, unto whom have been born four children, viz: May, Allie, Roy and Jennie. He enlisted in the One hundred and thirty-ninth regiment Illinois volunteers - one hundred day men - and was mustered in at Peoria. Mr. Turner is a farmer, and owns besides a portable saw mill, with which he manufactures large quantities of lumber.

Oakes Turner

Page 641

Mr. Turner lives on sections 13 and 14, and was born in Oxford county, in the state of Maine, in 1818, removed west in 1834 and located at He was an excellent penman and accountant and in 1836 was appointed county clerk and circuit clerk in 1838, which office he held by appointment until 1847. In the spring of 1848 he was appointed county treasurer to fill the unexpired term of Jos. Catlin who removed from the county, was re-elected in 1855 and again in 1857. He served the county in different capacities until he refused to be a candidate any further. In 1841 he served as assignee in nearly all the cases of bankruptcy. Since his retiracy he has been engaged in farming and owns a fine place of 400 acres, well improved and under a high state of cultivation. In 1840 he married Rebecca Butler by whom he has five children, Virginia (Mrs. Leech), Charles O., Mac and James W. In 1847 he served as a member of the constitutional convention. In the summer of 1835 he put up a carding machine for Fairfield and Leeper on Little Bureau above Leepertown, and run it that season. It was the second enterprise of the kind in this part of the state. Mr. Turner has been in active business all his life, and made one of the best public officers the county ever had.


Back to Putnam County Illinois History and Genealogy