Randolph County Illinois
Note: Some of these may be abstracted, instead of complete transcriptions. We're adding the complete biographies slowly but surely!
The abstracted bios were transcribed by Jeana Gallagher unless otherwise noted
John B. Hamilton
Hamilton, John B lived in T4 R5. He was born in Coshocton Co, Oh in 1839. During the Civil War he was in Co G of the 18th IL Inf, he was wounded. On 01 Oct 1868 he married Sarah M Burns the d/o Stewart and Sarah (Gillespie). Sarah was born 19 Apr 1841. Their children were: Sarah Ella and William John. John's father was named John and he was born in Ireland. His mother was Isabel Boyd who was born in OH. Both parents died in OH. They had 13 children: John B, Thomas, Johnston, Margaret, Jane and Alexander (d in Civil War). (1894)
James H. Hargis
James H. Hargis is a Tennessean by birth. The family sprang originally from England. William Hargis, the grandfather of James H. Hargis, emigrated from England shortly after the year 1790, and located in the central part of the State of Tennessee, one of the pioneers of that region. A wild and uncultivated country surrounded him. His nearest neighbor was twenty miles away, and in this solitary and romantic situation, he endured all the hardships of pioneer life, and raised a family of children. John Hargis, the father of James H. Hargis, was born here in the year 1794, and is still living in Tennessee, eighty years old. He married Parmela Uhls, a native of that State, who is still living, also near the age of four-score. John Hargis and his wife had a large family of children, of whom John H. Hargis was the seventh. He was born in Sumner County, Tennessee, on the twenty-fourth of September, 1824. The neighborhood had improved somewhat from the time his grandfather first settled there; farms had been made, houses built, and the population largely increased, but as far as school were concerned, the community was about as well off as the average western settlements forty and fifty years ago. Mr. Hargis is one of those who was blessed with little schooling. A period of six weeks embraces the sum total of all the instruction he ever received within the walls of a school-house. His knowledge and education were nearly all obtained by his own unaided efforts, much of it after he was married. He lived on his father's farm till he came to Illinois. In 1845, on the sixth day of March, he was married to Melissa Delia Ann Cragon, who was born and raised in Tennessee within three miles of her husband.
It was two year after he was married that he made up his mind to emigrate to Illinois, believing that there better facilities were offered for a farmer to get along in the world. In the year 1847, he accordingly came to Randolph County. He began, as his means allowed him, which at that time were small and limited. The first year he rented land. The next year he hired out on a farm. In 1849 he bought sixty acres of land two miles west of Ellis Grove, having obtained means sufficient to justify him in making that investment. Mr. Hargis kept on farming, and by hard work and good management, his worldly affairs prospered, and he was able to secure a better footing. In the succeeding year, the spring of 1850, he bought the property on which he now lives, which at that time was composed of eighty-two acres of land. He has since increased the land in his possession to a much larger amount, adding pieces of land from time to time as opportunities to purchase offered themselves. The farm on which he lives is composed of one hundred acres. In all, he has the ownership of between four and five hundred acres, the greater part of which lies in the Okaw bottom. The seven children of Mr. Hargis were named William A., John Harvey, Parmela Elizabeth (deceased), Sarah Jane, Charles Jefferson, Parmela Emeline, and Noah Franklin. The oldest two sons are married and live in the neighborhood, and the oldest daughter is also married, and a resident of Ellis Grove.
Mr. Hargis began his political life as an Old Line Whig, voting for Harrison in the memorable campaign of 1840, when a resident of Tennessee. On the decay of the Whig party, he followed many of the ablest men of that organization into the Democratic party, and has since been connected with it. Mr. Hargis' career in Randolph County is an evidence of what may be done by industry and energy, qualities without which success is seldom achieved. He began life with nothing, but has now obtained an honorable position among the substantial farmers of Randolph County.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
George F. Hecker
For the last six years Mr. Hecker has filled the office of Justice of the Peace and Notary Public at Red Bud. He was born at the city of Nieheim in Westphalia, Germany, on the seventeenth of September, 1833. He was the son of George Hecker. His mother's maiden name before marriage was Magdalena Schlueter. Mr. Hecker's education was completed at the gymnasium at Munster, Westphalia. He left school at the age of twenty, and immediately after embarked for America with the object in view of prospecting and looking out a location for the family. He landed at New Orleans in December of the year 1854, and after spending about eight months in the Crescent City he proceeded to Henry County, Missouri, where his parents, who had arrived in America in June, 1855, had bought a farm and located. Mr. Hecker here spent two years in farming. On the death of his father, he left the farm in the charge of a brother, and came to St. Louis, where for three years he was clerk in one of the newspaper offices of the city.
He left this employment in the summer of 1861 to enlist in the United States service in the war for the suppression of the rebellion. He was enrolled in the Forty-third Illinois Regiment, at that time stationed at St. Louis, in August, 1861, and the following February took the field. Mr. Hecker served till the close of the war, enlisting as a private and coming out as a Lieutenant. He participated in several serious engagements, among which were the battle of Shiloh, the siege of Corinth, Iuka, and Bolivar, Tennessee. At this last place the regiment lay a year and recruited. Mr. Hecker was at Vicksburg when that stronghold surrenderd [sic] in July, 1863. The regiment was then ordered to Arkansas, and was the first of the United States troops to take possession of Little Rock, the state capital. During their stay here the regiment was sent south to Louisiana, from which, however, the Union forces were compelled to retreat on the defeat of General Banks. Mr. Hecker was still in Arkansas at the close of the war, and was mustered out of service on the day of the assassination of President Lincoln.
He had been married in August, 1864, to Benardina Oppermann. Mr. Hecker had made her acquaintance before the war, and was married at St. Louis at the date mentioned above when home on recruiting service. Miss Oppermann was born in Germany, and came to America when a child. For two years after the war Mr. Hecker followed farming on a farm belonging to his father in-law in Monroe County, and in 1867 became a resident of Red Bud. In 1869 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and about the same time received the appointment of Notary Public from the Governor. Mr. Hecker is the father of three children. He is a member of the Republican party, and his name was presented by the Republicans of Randolph County as a candidate for Circuit Clerk, but he of course failed of an election, the County being strongly Democratic.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John Hodson, Esq.
Mr. Hodson was born in Liverpool, England, February 3d, 1827. At the age of thirteen he met with an accident which made it necessary to amputate a part of his right leg. Though painful and serious, this loss proved a blessing in disguise, by turning his attention more directly to books and literature, and was the real cause in his shaping his subsequent life. He soon became qualified to do business, and for several years made himself useful in the ship broker establishments of William Quail and Thomas C. Dutton, where he proved himself honest, capable and trustworthy. Wishing a larger sphere of action, and being already impressed favorably with the institutions of this country, he determined to come to the United States. In 1850 he reached New Orleans with letters of recommendation from friends and former employers, expecting to go into business there, but not being favorably impressed with the Crescent City as a place of residence, he determined to pass up the Mississippi River and prospect in St. Louis. While making this trip, through an unforeseen circumstance, involving humane as well as gallant conduct, he was induced to make a detour by way of Sparta, where intimate friends were at once made, and through whose influence he was persuaded to remain in this place, at least for the time being. Liking the town, the society and the surrounding country, he determined to make a permanent location. He at once applied for papers of naturalization, which were finally made over in 1854. Mr. Hodson has been closely identified with the interests, growth and business of Sparta ever since his naturalization. He commenced business here at first as clerk in the factory of James McClurkin. In the fall of the same year (1850) he made a business engagement with William Rosborough & Co., where he remained as clerk in their dry-goods establishment nearly five years. He next engaged with Mr. A. M. Allen, with whom he remained in all some ten years. In 1871 he entered into the employment of the Dickey Bros., with whom he yet sustains a business relation.
From 1850 to 1859 he acted as City Assessor. From 1851 to 1853 he was town clerk. In 1862 he was elected City Marshall, held the position about a year and a half, when he resigned on account of sickness. In the spring of 1875 he was elected Police Justice, and so far he has ably filled this position, and his decisions have been characterized with fairness and a good knowledge of the law. July 17th, 1851, he was united in wedlock with Miss Jane McDill, the daughter of William K. McDill, one of the early and highly respected citizens of this County.
None of Mr. Hodson's family have come to this country. His parents, William and Mary, both died in Liverpool. He had one brother, William, and four sisters, Mary J., Hannah, Ann and Elizabeth. At the latest intelligence, Hannah was the only survivor in the old country. In business Mr. Hodson has not neglected the cause of religion, and he and his highly respected and accomplished lady are both members of the U. P. Church.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Major James C. Holbrook
Holbrook, Maj James C (a lawyer) was born in Sherborn, MA on 27 May 1817. On 15 May 1845 he married Eliza Isabella McDill in Hamilton Co, OH. Eliza was born in Hamilton CO, OH on 28 Dec 1822 the d/o Rev David and Lydia McDill. In 1845 James came to RC to the Sparta area and in 1852 moved to Chester. His children were: the oldest a lawyer died at age 25, the second son died as an infant, Clara, Edward, Elizabeth (d 31 Jan 1893) and Lydia. His parents were Clark (b MA) and Betsy (Bullen). James' grandfather was James Holbrook born in MA (1894)
Henry L. Holmes
Without doubt, religion is the most potential influence among all the social elements in the formation of personal character, in giving tone to public morals and in shaping the forms and in infusing cast into civil institutions. Nothing can be more detrimental to the interest of State, than perverted forms of the Christian religion, and false systems of church government; as a radical error in a prevailing church, invariably finds its way into the affairs of political government, and stamps its impress there.
Monarchy in the government ecclesiastical paves the way for monarchy in civil affairs. Give the people freedom and liberty religiously, and they will invariably demand it civilly. When Christ constituted his Church, he gave to it a simple democratic form of government. Each local church was constituted a separate, independent local body, the members thereof, electing by vote, their own officers, receiving and dismissing members, and in the same manner transacting all the business appertaining to it, as an independent organized assemblage.
During the days of the inspired Apostles, no ecclesiastical system of associated churches for the purpose of prosecuting measures involving discipline and the propagation of the gospel, existed. The only organization known at that time, was that which pertained solely and exclusively to the local churches as such, and the only influences which bound the various churches together as co-operative bodies, were a similar faith, a common hope, a mutual fellowship and a common work. The Papal Hierarchy, which grew out of an apostacy from the simple doctrines and forms of government of the Primitive Church, about the year A. D. 251, was the first instance of a superior organized power, consisting of a number of local churches blended into a system, known after the advent of the Son of Man. But even after this Hierarchy had been made a State Church, by the Emperor Constantine, all the influences it could bring to bear, aided as it was, by the weight of the patronage and sword of the State, failed signally to pull all the churches into its puissant wake. A large number of the congregations of Italy, Egypt and Asia Minor, held to a separate communion, and the original forms of ecclesiasticism. They were persecuted under the name of Novatians, and finally, in the 4th century, by the edict of Honorius and Theodosius, under the penalties of confiscation and death, were expelled from Italy.
They retreated into the valleys of Piedmont, and there, and in other countries, they maintained an existence and a succession, under the various names of Waldenses, Albigenses, Paterines, Vaudois and Anabaptists, down to the time of the Lutheran Reformation of the 16th century, when they were alike persecuted, both by Roman Catholics and Protestants. At that time, they were commonly known under the stigmatized title of Anabaptists, or Rebaptizers. They found an asylum in Holland, and were at a later date tolerated in England, and when the colonies were planted in America, they came to this country, in order to enjoy that freedom of conscience so persistently denied them in the old world. The prefix "ana," was finally dropped, and they have since been known simply as Baptists, and are now known and honored as one of the leading denominations of the United States. From the days of the Apostles to the present time, they have preserved a succession of congregations and the whole truth as at "first delivered to the saints."
Their fundamental doctrines are summed up in the following tenets: 1st. The independence of their churches; 2d. A democratic form of government for each congregation; 3d. That none but those regenerated have a right to church membership; 4th. That the ordinances of the New Testament are to be restricted to those embraced within the jurisdiction of the Church; 5th, That civil government has no right to attempt the regulation of religious questions, and that the Church has no right to dictate in civil affairs; 6th. That moral suasion is the only legitimate power in the hands of Christians to influence the belief and conduct of others; 7th. That the immersion in water of a proper candidate, in the name of the Trinity, is the only gospel baptism, and that an observance of this ordinance is a prerequisite of subsequent Church fellowship; and 8th. That the observance of any external ordinance is not essential to salvation. For the profession and observance of these plain Scriptural doctrines, the Baptists have suffered persecution and martyrdom in nearly all the countries of the old world, from the beginning of the 4th, down to the close of the 17th century. Though often persecuted, they have never, in all their past history, persecuted others, but have held to the first principles of the gospel, with a tenacity that no opposition has ever been able to shake. They have not even escaped proscription and maltreatment in this country. They were fined and imprisoned by the Episcopal Church of the Colony of Virginia, and were whipped, imprisoned, and fined in the Colony of Massachusetts, by the Puritan Congregationalists. Among the last to receive corporal punishment for conscience' sake in this country, was Obadiah Holmes, a Baptist minister from England, who was whipped by a civil officer, in the streets of Boston, under the requisition of the Puritan Church. His offence was the denial of infant baptism, and a want of reverence to the Puritan establishment. Forty stripes, save one, were laid on the old minister's bared shoulders, and then he was cast into prison as a culprit till his fine should be paid. He was the honored ancestor of the subject of this sketch, and a prouder parentage could not be claimed. Though this persecuted and saintly man did not live to see the doctrines for which he suffered, vindicated, still his posterity not only have been made the recipients of the blessings for which he struggled, but have the proud satisfaction of knowing that they have been incorporated into the very constitution of the nation itself.
The perfectly correct internal and external economy of the Baptist Church, fitted it in the highest degree to exert a salutary influence on this country in the incipient stages of its development, and to it the nation is indebted for its first conceptions and example of civil and religious freedom, in a State founded on the basis of religious equality among the various religious denominations, and a total disassociation of Church and State.
Under the conjoint labors of Roger Williams and John Clark, another Baptist minister from England, a charter was secured from the King, and the plantations of Providence and Newport became a Colony, where the great doctrines of our nation were first put into practical operation, by statute and political organization. The influence of this single Colony, stamped its impress on the statesmen of that day, and after the independence of this country from the English Crown, the other Colonies followed in its wake; and, to-day, the Baptist denomination should receive the honor, as it is the author of the freedom and liberal institutions of the United States of America.
It would not only be a work of pleasure to the writer, but a matter of interest, to trace from their illustrious predecessor, the history of the Holmes family down to the present, but, for lack of necessary material, we will have to pass over the interval elapsing from Obadiah to Joseph Holmes, Mr. Holmes' grandfather, who we first hear of as a patriot soldier of the Revolutionary war, fighting in the defense of the same principles for which his ancestor was whipped in Boston. After the close of the war, he continued to reside in New Jersey, where he died in Monmouth County. He lived and died in the fellowship of the same Church in which his predecessors suffered, and led a quiet and peaceable life, and handed over to his children the heritage of a good name and the principles of a pure and tried faith. These were three sons and a daughter, viz. Jonathan, Elisha, John and Mary, who became the wife of Mr. Hendrick Longstreet. These all lived and died in the same faith in Monmouth Co., N. J.
Elisha, Mr. Holmes' father, was three times married, and raised eight children, viz., Mrs. Eleanor (Christopher) Probasco, John S., Mary J., Ann, Jonathan I., Henry L., Mrs. Catharine (Daniel I.) Schenck, and Obadiah. Mr. Holmes' mother was formerly Miss Jane Van Dorn. He was raised up to the estate of manhood in his native State, and was also there married to Miss Mary E. Leming. In the Spring of 1861 he came to this County. In 1863 he bought a forty acre tract of land, a part of his present farm in Township 5-6, paying for it $25 per acre. He put the entire tract in wheat the fall of the same year, and realized from the crop a sum sufficient to cover the purchase price of the land and all the expenses of improvements. This is a good comment on the wheat-producing qualities of the soil of this County. He has since purchased additional lands, until now his possessions include something over five hundred acres, thus ranking with the large farmers of his County. Mr. Holmes is the only one of his family who has come out to the West, as it was once termed. The others of his family who are living still reside in the East, and are all connected with the same Church in which their forefathers walked before them.
Mrs. Holmes' family are also early settlers of this country. Her great-grandfather, Thos. Leming, was an old Continental soldier, and spent the latter part of his life at least in Monmouth Co., N. J. He raised a family of seven children, four sons and three daughters. One of these sons, Ezekiel, was her grandfather. He was twice married. His second wife was a Miss Rebecca Cole. By the first wife, formerly Miss Catharine Shepherd, was born Garrett, Mrs. Holmes' father, now a citizen of this County. His natal day was May 9th, 1805, Monmouth Co., Jersey State. He there married Miss Huldah Maines, by whom he had two children. Henry, the son, married Miss Elizabeth Wooley, came to this County in 1858, and died here about two years afterwards. Mr. Leming came out to this State in 1859, and settled where Mr. Holmes now resides. On leaving New Jersey, he disposed of a small farm, from which he realized sufficient means to secure one hundred and sixty acres, where he now lives. He is spending the evening of life in peace and comfort, and he and his aged companion walk hand in hand down the declivity of time toward the mystic stream that divides the land of promise from the wilderness of mortal existence; and though its earthly margin may be sterile and damp, the bright flowers of immortality fringe its other shores, and the sweet music of Paradise sounds across the vasty deep, and echoes glad anthems of promised deliverance. They have both for many years been faithful members of the Baptist Church, in which communion their forefathers have had fellowship and a spiritual home as far back as the recollections of their families extend.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John N. Holloway
Among the members of the Randolph County Bar, is Mr. John N. Holloway, a native of Indiana, and a resident of Randolph County since the year 1872. The Holloway family is of English origin. At a period long before the Revolution, two brothers of that name came from England to America, and from these all the Holloways of the United States are now descended.
Mr. Holloway's father, Joseph Holloway, was born and raised in Delaware. When a boy he came to Ohio, and there married, about the year 1824, Sallie W. Timmons, a native of Ross County, Ohio. In the year 1832, Mr. Holloway removed with his family to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, where he lived till the time of his death. John N. Holloway was the eighth of a family of eleven children, and was born in Tippecanoe County, on the ninth of March, 1839. He was raised on a farm. In his seventeenth year he left home, and became a student in the Indiana Asbury University, of Greencastle, Indiana. He was five years at college. He graduated in the regular classical course in the summer of 1862, receiving the degree of A. B., and three years after that of A. M.
After leaving college he taught school for four years in Indiana, and then in 1866 in consequence of failing health, went to Kansas. He here executed a work which stands a worthy testimonial to his industry and literary ability. In the same year of his coming to Kansas he began a History of the State, which he published two years after, in 1868. It is a large volume of nearly seven hundred pages, the only general history of the State ever published, and was received with favor on the part of the leading men and prominent journals of the country.
After the publication of the work, Mr. Holloway came East with the view of issuing a revised edition. He was advised by his publishers to delay the matter for a time, and meanwhile accepted a position as principal of a school in Illinois. He subsequently taught at several points in the State, studying law during the time, and in August, 1872, came to Chester as principal of the public schools of the city. He has since been a resident of Chester. In 1874, he was admitted to the bar. Some time previous to this, he had formed a law partnership with Mr. J. Perry Johnson, though his name did not appear in the firm until after his admission as an attorney. The firm, now known as "Johnson & Holloway," conduct one of the largest law businesses in this section of Illinois. Mr. Holloway was married July the first, 1862, to Miss Etta Hall, of West Lebanon, Indiana. The Holloway family were Whigs and Republicans, and Mr. Holloway himself has been warmly attached to the principles of the Republican party.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Alexander Hood has been a member of the Randolph County bar since 1862, engaged subsequent to that date as an attorney, serving one term as Judge of the County Court.
His father, John Hood, was born in the north of Ireland in the year 1801, and at the age of seventeen emigrated to America, and settled in South Carolina. He here married Sarah S. Burns, a native of South Carolina, but descended from the same Scotch-Irish stock as the Hoods. This marriage was productive of ten children. The second child, and the oldest son, was Alexander Hood, born at Chester, South Carolina, on the twenty-fourth day of July, of the year 1829.
The first sixteen years of his life were spent in South Carolina, and he obtained his early education in the schools of Chester. The family arrived in Randolph County, having exchanged their home in South Carolina for Illinois, in the month of December, 1845. For two years, the family lived on Hill Prairie in the northern part of the County, and then located five miles west of Sparta, where John Hood entered public land. He still lives at the same place.
Alexander Hood lived at home till he was of age, and was employed in work on the farm. His education and study of law is a story of his own efforts. On reaching his majority, he determined to make law his profession. During the first five years he spent in Illinois, he had gone to school but little, and Mr. Hood felt the necessity for a more thorough education. He began his preparatory studies by entering as a student the Academy at Sparta, and for two years was in attendance upon its sessions. The money to pay his expenses was earned by his own labor. From Sparta, he went to Ann Harbor, and for two more years was a member of the law school connected with the University of Michigan. He had intended taking the regular classical course, but afterward devoted his attention wholly to the study of his profession, graduating from the law department of the University in March, 1861, and receiving his degree of Bachelor of Law. On his graduation, he at once returned to Randolph County, and taught school during the winter of 1861-62, at the same time giving some little attention to law practice.
In the summer of 1862, he filled the office of Deputy Assessor, and in the succeeding October, was regularly admitted to the bar of Illinois. He first opened an office at Sparta, but located at Chester in the fall of 1863. Judge Hood has since been a resident of the County seat, and has made constant advancement in his standing as a member of the bar. The first year he was a partner of Judge Snyder, a well-known and distinguished lawyer of Belleville. He then continued the practice of law by himself. For one term he filled the position of County Judge, having been elected to that office in the fall of 1869. At different periods he has also acted as City Attorney of Chester, two or three times, by appointment of the Board of Aldermen. He was elected to the office by the people in March, 1875. At this latter date, Mr. Hood also associated himself in partnership with Mr. Abram G. Gordon, a graduate of McKendree College. The firm, under the name of "Hood and Gordon," are enjoying a large and rapidly increasing professional business.
Mr. Hood's marriage occurred in May, 1854, to Eliza J. Hunter, of Indiana, by birth, but raised in Randolph County. Her ancestors were from North Carolina. Judge Hood has always been Democratic in his political antecedents, and in Randolph County has taken an active part in the work of that party. He is well known throughout the County as an earnest advocate of Democratic principles, and has done his share in most of the political canvasses. His tastes as a lawyer led him to the practice of criminal law, though his ability extends to every branch of the legal profession. In personal character, Judge Hood is a man of liberal and generous disposition, of fine social qualities, gifted with a mind naturally acute, and with energy and perseverance. Physically, he is a fine specimen of manhood, nearly six feet in height, looking much younger than he really is, and with a robust and vigorous constitution capable of enduring any amount of labor. Mr. Hood has won his way to his present standing at the bar by his own efforts, unaided by any outside influence or adventitious combination of circumstances.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Bartholomew Hoy (DECEASED)
Bartholomew Hoy located in the Horse Prairie when there were less than a dozen families living on the Prairie. His death occurred in 1870. During his life-time he was a well known resident of that part of Randolph County, and was warmly esteemed for his many good qualities as a neighbor and a citizen. His sons are still living in the neighborhood, and are numbered among the enterprising and progressive citizens of the Horse Prairie.
Bartholomew Hoy was a native of the County Sligo, Ireland, where he was born two or three years before the close of the last century. The family of which he was a member occupied a good social position in that part of Ireland, and Mr. Hoy had all the opportunities for acquiring a good education. His early life was spent in Ireland. When a young man he came to America. He landed at Montreal, Canada, in May of the year 1822. On coming to this country he adopted a commercial life, and followed it with success for some years. He dealt in silks and fine goods, traveling through Canada and the United States, and disposing of his goods in trade to the better class of customers. Twelve years were spent in this way, during which he journeyed over Canada, and the Eastern States. He subsequently made Missouri and the upper part of Illinois the field of his operations. The spring of 1835, he came to Randolph County, where he took out a license for selling goods, and traveled over the County for something like a year. He was pleased with the country, and determined to make it his home. In June, 1836, he was married to Julia Whalen. Miss Whalen had been born in the State of Maryland about the year 1811. When three months old her father, James Whalen, emigrated from Maryland to Kentucky, and in the year 1818 came on to Illinois, where he located in the O'Harra settlement.
For some time after his marriage, Mr. Hoy continued in the line of his old business. He kept store in Prairie du Rocher, but not liking the locality on account of the fever and ague to which he had become subject, about seven months from the time he was married he bought a quarter section of land which was his home till the time of his death. Mrs. Hoy, his widow, still resides on this property. This tract was among the old settled places of Randolph County, and the original patent had been granted to a man named Griffin. From the date of his removal to the Horse Prairie, Mr. Hoy was engaged in farming, a pursuit to which he found himself well adapted. He subsequently entered another one hundred and sixty acres of land, bought and sold land at different times, and at one time owned between four and five hundred acres. Bartholomew Hoy was a hard-working, industrious, and energetic man. He was shrewd in his business transactions, but always honest. He possessed a faculty for accumulating money, but was liberal almost to a fault. Had he possessed the calculating economy and rigid regard for his own interests, displayed so commonly on the part of business men of a certain class, his savings would have placed him among the foremost business men of his section. He was charitable and benevolent in his disposition, and his heart always opened to the distresses of others. A leading element of his character was his strong religious belief. He was a devout Catholic, and took a deep interest in the welfare and prosperity of the church. His death took place on the eighth day of October, 1870. His widow and a family of eight children were left to mourn his loss. The children were Thomas, Mary, Bridget, James, Patrick, Agnes, John, and Isabella. All are now living with the exception of Bridget.
Thomas Hoy, the oldest son, occupies the old homestead. He was born on the seventeenth of October, 1837. He was raised on the farm. His early education he received at Belleville, and at Notre Dame College, Indiana. For four or five years after leaving school, he was engaged in various occupations in Indiana and Central Illinois. Two years he was farming in Christian County of this State. He came back to Randolph County, and in 1864 took charge of the homestead farm, which has since been under his management. He owns about one hundred and seventy-five acres of land. Mr. Hoy is a successful farmer. He is a man of more than ordinary intelligence, and forms a worthy member of the community.
James Hoy, the fourth child and second son, was born on the eighth day of November, 1842. He lived at home till nineteen, attending school and working on the farm. He then left Randolph County, and was employed on a farm in Bond, and afterward in Christian County. He next went to Springfield, and went to school in the neighborhood during the winter of 1861-62. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the 114th Regiment of Illinois Volunteers. He served three years in the field. His regiment was employed in Tennessee and Mississippi. The first engagement of importance was that of Jackson, Mississippi. Mr. Hoy was present at the siege of Vicksburg. In the fall of 1863, he was detailed for service to Battery E, First Illinois Artillery, with which he was connected about a year, and then returned to his regiment. At the battle of Tupelow he was wounded. From July, 1863, he was with General A. J. Smith's corps; was at the siege of Spanish Fort at Mobile; and was mustered out at Springfield in August, 1865, after the close of the war. He returned to Randolph County, and soon afterward moved on the farm (of one hundred and seventy-five acres) which he now occupies. The winter of 1867-68 and the succeeding summer and fall, Mr. Hoy attended a Commercial College in St. Louis. Two or three years were then spent in traveling in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, and northern Illinois and Tennessee. In 1871 he visited Texas, and was there two years. In the early part of 1873, he came to Randolph County, driving a team the whole distance of six hundred and fifty miles from Texas to Illinois. This journey was accomplished in January and February of that year. On coming home he settled down in Randolph County, and in May of the same year was married to Margaret Faherty. He is now a farmer.
Both the brothers have followed in the political faith of their father, who was a Democrat, but liberal in his views, and always willing to respect the opinions of others. The sons are known as men of intelligence, and as citizens of enterprise and public spirit.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Matthias Huth is one of the leading business men and enterprising merchants of Red Bud, of which place he has been a resident since the year 1864. Mr. Huth, in company with a large number of the most respectable and substantial citizens of this part of Randolph County, is of German descent. His birthplace was the town of Bieber, in Hesse, Germany, where he was born on the thirteenth of March, 1825. He was the son of Adam Huth, and his wife Margaret, whose maiden name was Weigend. There were three children in the family, of whom Matthias was the youngest. At the age of six he began to go to school, and continued his education in the schools of his native town till he left Germany.
In the year 1836, when eleven years old, his father emigrated with the family to America. Landing in Baltimore, the family came directly west to Monroe County, Illinois, and settled about three miles north of the town of Red Bud. Here Adam Huth bought eighty acres of land. Matthias went to school for some time after coming to Monroe County, attending a school at Prairie du Long, five miles from his father's home. At the age of fifteen he went to the blacksmith's trade, and worked at that till he thoroughly mastered the occupation, which, with farming, he followed for some years after.
In March, 1847, he was married to Hannah Mehrs, who was also a native of Germany, born in Hanover, and who came to America when six or seven years old. After his marriage, Mr. Huth entered eighty acres of land on Horse Prairie, moved on it, and began the work of improving it. He soon had part of it under cultivation. He subsequently purchased additional land, till his farm was composed of two hundred and sixty acres. In 1864 he moved to Red Bud, and, in company with Fred. Pinningroth and Charles Schreiber, bought out a store, and began the merchandizing business. This partnership was continued up till 1872, when Mr. Huth bought out the interest of the other two members of the firm, and now carries on the business in connection with his brother.
Mr. and Mrs. Huth have had ten (10) children, of whom five are living, Charles, Frederick, August, Anna and Rosa. Mr. Huth has always been a Republican in politics, and still continues his attachment to that party. For one term he filled the office of Assessor and Treasurer of Randolph County. He still owns the farm on Horse Prairie, three miles east of Red Bud. He is one of the popular merchants of Red Bud, and his store is favorably known throughout a large section of country. He began life without capital, and has reached his present position by industry, perseverance and honest effort, qualities which mark the self-made man.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails