Randolph County Illinois
Note: Some of these may be abstracted, instead of complete transcriptions. We're adding the complete biographies slowly but surely!
The abstracted bios were transcribed by Jeana Gallagher unless otherwise noted
Calvin A. Mann
Mann, Calvin A graduated from St Louis Medical College in 1858 as an MD. He married Emily C Young the d/o John on 10 Mar 1859. Their Children were: Walter H, Emily A, Cornelius A and Mary A. Calvin's father was John Mann born 01 Feb 1796 in SC. He moved to KY where he married Albina B Balch on 04 Jul 1815. Albina was born on 25 Nov 1797 in TN, and died in RC on 17 Nov 1882. John came to RC in 1827, where he died 07 Mar 1881. His children were: William H, John P, Robert C, Capt James F, Albina, Jonathon B, Rev Alfred M, Calvin A and Mary J. Calvin's grandparents were Robert and Mary (Huston) Mann. (1894)
Mann, Robert was born in SC were he married Salina M Balch also of SC. Robert came to RC in 1817 and died in Chester in 1878. He and Salina had 4 sons and 3 daughters. One son was Robert H born 26 Aug 1833 in RC, During the CW he was in Co I 10th ILL Inf as a First Lt. After the war he was in the business of real estate in RC. Another son was Capt John A born near Chester on 08 Nov 1839. John was a river boat captain. He married Mary E Holloman the d/o Ezekiel and Mary G (Brown) Holloman. Mary was born 09 Aug 1846, both of her parents were born 1812 in TN. John and Mary had 8 children: Ira, Bess, Eri, Bernice, Orfa, Ellen, Minnie and Roscoe. (1894)
Samuel A. Mann
Of the old settlers of Township 5-7, Samuel Alexander Mann carries his residence back to a date as early as any. His father came to Randolph County in the year 1817, when Samuel A . was in his third year. He comes from a family of Irish descent. His ancestors lived in the Abbeville District of South Carolina at a period prior to the Revolutionary war, and his father, Robert M. Mann, was born there about the year 1771, and there also, on the twenty-first day of April, 1795, married Mary Houston.
Robert B. Mann left South Carolina with his family about the year 1807, intending to make his home in Illinois. On reaching Kentucky, the family, however, received tidings of Indian depredations
in Illinois, and so settled in Logan County, Kentucky. Here they remained till 1817, when they reached Randolph County. The family numbered eight children. Their names in the order of their births were John, William M., Elizabeth Ann, Agnes H., Robert, Jane A., Albina and Samuel Alexander. The first five were born in South Carolina, and the others in Kentucky. They reached Randolph County late in the fall of 1817, and the father at once entered land in Section 14, Township 5-7. Robert M. Mann lived here the remainder of his life. He died December, 1855, at the patriarchal age of eighty-four. The homestead farm, a little more than a mile east of Preston, is occupied by the youngest son, Samuel A. Mann.
Samuel A. Mann was born in Logan County, Kentucky, February the twenty-eighth, 1815. The location of the family, on coming to Randolph County, was on the outskirts of the settlements. The whole country to the east was a wilderness. Schools were kept only at rare intervals, and then in old log structures, without windows, and sometimes without a floor. Under these circumstances Mr. Mann was brought up on a farm. August the twentieth, 1835, he was married to Nancy Pressly. Mr. Mann was then lacking a few months of being twenty-one. He brought his wife home to the homestead farm which at that time he was managing.
His first wife died in 1849, and Mr. Mann was again married in March, 1855, to Henrietta Bratney. A short time before his father's death he bought the interest of the other heirs, and obtained entire possession of the homestead property. His second wife died in 1861. Mr. Mann's third marriage took place in April, 1863. He has had eleven children, seven by the first, and four by the second wife. Six children, three by the first, and three by the second marriage, are now living. The three oldest children are married, have families, and live in Lawrence County in southwest Missouri. Mr. Mann has been a life-long Democrat. He began his political career with a vote for Martin Van Buren for President in 1836, and has ever since continued to support the candidates of that party.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
A life of four-score years cannot fail to be full of eventful incidents, and especially is this true of the career of Samuel Mansker, born in Kentucky in 1795, his family pioneers of Missouri in 1804, and a few years later settlers of Randolph County, Illinois.
Jasper Mansker was a wealthy and prominent citizen of Tennessee, of the 1ast century, and lived in the neighborhood of Nashville. John Mansker, his nephew, was the father of Samuel Mansker.
He married Margaret Robinson, and directly after settled on Bear Grass Creek, near Louisville, Kentucky. He served in General Arthur St. Clair's campaign against the Indians, and was in his disastrous and memorable defeat, where he saved himself, as by a miracle, from the dreadful carnage. He was wounded in seven different places. The next year he had recovered sufficiently to join General Wayne in his expedition against the savages, from which he returned in safety.
Samuel Mansker, the third child and oldest son, was born on the sixteenth of December, 1795, on Bear Grass Creek, a few miles from Louisville, Kentucky. When four years old, his father moved to Tennessee, and in 1804 came on to Missouri, and settled in what was then Ste. Genevieve County, on the Mississippi directly opposite where Mr. Mansker now lives. With one exception, there was then no settlement within eight miles. About three years afterward, the family moved across the Mississippi, and located on the island opposite Rockwood, where a cabin was erected at the head of the island. About 1812 the Manskers made another settlement on Section 10, Township 8-6. The place where the first improvements were made is now swept over by the current of the Mississippi. Samuel Mansker was a young man of seventeen when he first came to this locality, where his long and eventful life subsequent to that period has been principally spent. He has followed farming, flat-boating and trading, and has been one of the most active business men of the southern part of the County. He is one of the largest land-owners in the County, the number of his acres footing up to thirteen hundred.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Mr. Mathews was born in Ireland, May 5th, 1814, and resided in his native country till 1836, when, attracted by the superior advantages and liberal institutions of this country, he left his home for America. He landed in New York City in the spring of the same year. He spent about two years near the city of Philadelphia, and then continued his journey to Randolph County, where he arrived, May 16th, 1838. Up to the spring of 1840, he was variously employed in different kinds of farm labor, working both by the month and by the job. He saved up some money by this means, and bought 120 acres of school land, of the 16th Section, Township 4-5. He entered in connection with this, a 40 acre tract, and commenced improvements the same year, 1840. He remained on this farm some fifteen years, when he sold and bought Mr. Archibald McDill, now of Sparta, 100 acres at $3.00 per acre, situate near the town of Tilden. In connection with this, he entered two 40 acre tracts. He lived on the property till some six years ago, when he sold, and bought the farm where he now lives, a mile east of this town. This farm comprises about 160 acres of good and finely improved land, and is well located, and is as desirable a situation, considering its size, as any within the County. This property is the clear earnings growing out of the industry and perseverance of its owner. He came to this country a stranger, and with no capital, but a pair of willing hands. Mr. Mathews has filled a prominent place within his community, is liberal with his means, and has contributed considerable towards the interests of the growing little town of Tilden.
He was married to Miss Rebecca Boyd, daughter of one of the old and highly respected citizens of this County, Aug. 4th, 1842. This union has been blessed with seven children, five living, three sons and two daughters, viz.: Mrs. Nancy J., (Robt.,), James, Thomas M., Robert J., Miss Mary E., and William G. Influenced by the representations of his son, Mr. Mathew's father, Thomas, with the principal part of his family left Ireland and came to this country, arriving in 1840, by way of New Orleans. One sister, Nancy, the wife of John Tweed, remained in the old country. The other children, eight in number, viz.: Thomas, James, William J., Joseph, Hugh, Adam, Jennie and Alexander, accompanied their parents to the United States. The father of these was born in Ireland, and was there married to their mother, formerly Miss Nancy Ross. They both died in this County, he in 1874, at the age of 93, and she in 1865, or near that time. They were both members of what is known as the Old Light Convenanter Church, a branch of the Presbyterian denomination, having become connected with this order in the old country. They raised up their children to fear the Lord, as the first great truth of life, then placed before them an example of piety and virtue worthy of their imitation, and they all early became members of the same Church, and have led exemplary Christian lives, and have made reputable patriotic and trustworthy citizens.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John H. Meyer
John H. Meyer is one of the widely known residents of Red Bud, where he has lived since the year 1858. He was born at Kutenhausen, in Prussia, on the tenth day of February, 1828. His father's name was also John H. Meyer. Elizabeth Schcoenbaun was his mother's name before marriage. He attended school at the village of Kutenhausen, and at the City of Minden. At the early age of sixteen he set out for America, unaccompanied by friends or family, determined to try what fortune had in store for him in the new country. He landed in New Orleans in the month of November, 1844, with only a five franc piece in his pocket. Directly after his arrival he was taken sick, and was carried to a hospital, where he remained two weeks. He was yet ignorant of the English language, and while in the hospital was unable to understand a word spoken to him. While in New Orleans he earned about six dollars, and part of this he employed in paying for steamboat fare to St. Louis. At St. Louis he became an apprentice to a bricklayer, binding himself by a written contract for work three years for fifty cents a day. His time was taken up in thoroughly learning the trade, after which he worked three more years as a journeyman bricklayer at good wages. In 1851 he started a retail grocery store in St. Louis, and carried it on for six years. He then, in company with a partner, started a brewery in St. Louis. The capital to carry on this business he had made in the grocery trade. After a year's experience as a brewer in St. Louis, he sold his interest in the establishment to his partner, and in November, 1858, came to Red Bud, where he had acquaintances residing.
Red Bud was a small town at that time; but Mr. Meyer thought it offered sufficient advantages for the location of a brewery, there being none at that time nearer than St. Louis and Belleville. He accordingly built the brewery now owned by Mr. Berger, and ran it till the breaking out of the war, when Mr. Meyer volunteered in the Seventh Illinois Cavalry. He went out as Second Lieutenant of Company M. The regiment went into active service in the fall of 1861. Mr. Meyer took part in the capture of New Madrid and Island No. 10. The battle of Corinth was the first one of any magnitude in which he participated. He continued with the regiment till the fall of 1862, when he sent in his resignation, and returned home to attend to private business matters. In connection with John Stoehr, he managed the brewery at Red Bud, but in 1866 sold out the establishment, and for a time followed his old trade of bricklaying.
In the year 1870, Mr. Meyer received the appointment of Deputy United States Marshall, and in that capacity he took the census of Randolph County. For three years following he performed the duties of Deputy Assessor. In 1872, at the hands of the Liberal-Democratic Convention, he received the nomination as member of the State Board of Equalization. In the fall of 1873 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and still holds that office. In the fall of 1874 he ran as an independent candidate for Sheriff; but the regular Democratic candidate secured the election. Mr. Meyer was one of the early Republicans about Red Bud. In 1856, then in St. Louis, he voted for Fremont, and retained his attachment to the Republican party till the inception of the Liberal movement in 1872. For many years he was one of the leading and enthusiastic members of the Republican Party about Red Bud.
Mr. Meyer was married on the twentieth of January, 1849, to Mary Manderfelt, who was born at the village of Fahlsdorf, in Prussia, and came to America the year before she was married, when she was eighteen years old. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer have had seven children. Four, John H., Mary, Anna, and Frederick, are living. Mr. Meyer is now the popular proprietor of the City Hotel at Red Bud, of which he took charge in March, 1875. He is well known for his genial and social qualities. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Mr. Michan was born November 1st, 1822, in the city of Philadelphia. His parents were in moderate circumstances. His father was there employed for a number of years as clerk and assistant in the wholesale house of Seal, Burnett and Withers. In this famous old city, still to be more famous on account of the Centennial of 1876, Mr. Michan spent the early days of his youth in attendance at the public schools and imbuing his mind during its early aspirations, with the historical associations and national traditions, which hang around the Quaker city as the central theatre where the drama of the American Revolution was played and where the voice of Independence first rang out on the ears of the listening nations, in the form of the immortal Declaration. In the spring of 1837, he came with his parents to Washington County, Illinois, where he taught a term of school the following summer. Not liking the sedentary features of the school-room, he determined to choose a more active and unrestructed kind of business, and in pursuance of this object made a point of Sparta, then a small village known under the historic name, Columbus, where he arrived in the early part of 1838. Here he was variously employed till the spring of 1852, in general mechanic work, a business for which he early evinced a marked genius, and in which he had considerable experience before leaving Philadelphia. Here also he chose a life partner, Miss Margaret Alexander, daughter of A. and Sarah (McDill) Alexander, old settlers of this County. This marriage was celebrated January 21st, 1845. Yielding to a natural desire for adventure, Mr. Michan determined to try his fortunes on the Pacific Slope, and accordingly in the spring of 1852, in company with a band of hardy emigrants for the land of Gold, he commenced an overland journey towards the coast of the Pacific.
Within five months they arrived in Oregon city without mishap or particular peril. He spent about two years in Oregon and California, most of the time in the former state. He then returned to his family in Sparta, having made a trip rich in experience and profitable in dollars and cents. Immediately on his return to Randolph County he determined to put into effect a resolution formed in Oregon, to study the law; and accordingly bought a few of the most necessary books, and a set of mechanics' tools with which to earn a support while engaged in his studies, and devoted all his leisure time to legal reading. In about three years he acquired sufficient knowledge of the law to qualify him for the practice, and he was accordingly duly admitted to the Bar of the 2d (now the 23d) judicial district, in 1859. He soon rose to distinction in his profession and has built up a large and lucrative practice extending over four Counties. In 1862 he was appointed Master in Chancery for his district, on the Republican ticket, and overcame a majority of 1400 Democratic votes, and was elected by a clear majority of forty-two votes. A higher compliment could not have been paid to Mr. Michan's standing as a gentleman and a lawyer.
From his earliest recollections Mr. Michan was anti-slavery in his feeling and sentiments, and as a consequence when the two great parties of the country came into direct collision on this question, he took sides with the Republican party, and he stood identified with its interest till after the close of the war. In 1872, feeling that this party had undertaken to do too much, that its leading men manifested too little regard for the strict requirements of the Federal Constitution, that it had on account of its most unprecedented success drawn into itself a vast amount of political corruptions, and that it had already really accomplished its true mission, he left this organization and supported Horace Greeley for Presidency and has since pursued a line action known as Liberal Republicanism.
Mr. Michan is a self-made man, has attained to a profound knowledge of the law, is a good speaker, a cogent, close reasoner, and the able advocates of Southern Illinois recognize him a "foeman worthy of their steel."
Mr. Michin's father, John, and his mother, formerly Miss Jane McKame, were both natives of Ireland, where they were married, though they both traced their ancestry back to Scotland. They arrived in Philadelphia in 1820. One child, William, was born in the Emerald Isle, and was an infant when they reached Philadelphia. He was accidently killed in that city while engaged as a clerk in a wholesale establishment. The family circle was further increased in this country by the birth of five additional children, viz.: the subject of this sketch, Mrs. Eliza Press of this County, Thomas, who fell in the Union Service during the late civil war, and two who died in infancy. The father of these died in Washington County, in 1854. He acquired after coming to Illinois a good farm, which he conducted up to the time of his death. His wife survived him some eighteen years. Their remains rest side by side in the grave-yard connected with the house of worship owned by a congregation of the Covenanters, in Elk Horn Prairie, in which denomination they had fellowship for a great many years, having connected themselves with it while living in Ireland.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John G. Middendorf
Mr. Middendorf, the present Mayor of the city of Chester, has been a resident of Randolph County since the year 1851. He was born at the town of Badbergen, Hanover, August eighth, 1824. He was the seventh of a family of nine children. From the ages of six to fourteen he attended school in his native town. He then learned the trade of a tailor, at which he worked till twenty-one. On reaching his majority he determined to emigrate to America, and in company with an older brother landed at New Orleans in December of the year 1845. The two years during which he lived in New Orleans he was employed as a journeyman tailor.
In the year 1847 Mr. Middendorf was seized with the yellow fever, and on his recovery came to St. Louis, where he also worked at his trade. March the sixth, 1851, he arrived in Chester, bringing with him the goods for opening a store. He had visited the place the previous year, and bought the lots on which his store and residence now stand. A family grocery store, which he opened, was the first regular store ever started on the hill. During the same summer, 1851, Mr. Middendorf laid in a stock of dry goods, and began business as a general merchant. From a small beginning he has acquired a large and profitable trade.
August the first, 1851, he was married to Mina Triefte, a native of Germany, who came to America three years before her marriage. Eleven children, four of whom are now living, have resulted from this union. When Mr. Middendorf came to America he was in debt twenty-five dollars, having borrowed the money to pay his passage across the Atlantic. His industrious efforts have succeeded in building up a comfortable competence, and he has acquired an extended reputation as a steady and reliable business man. For several years he was an Alderman, and in 1874 was elected Mayor of the city of Chester.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Charles R. Miller
Miller, Charles R owned a farm in T5 R5. He was born 13 Dec 1819 in Galloway Co, NY, where he lived until 1827. In 1843 he married Elizabeth Adams the d/o William (b PA) and Sarah (Hughes) (b Wales). Elizabeth was born in Washington Co, PA. Charles' children were: Sarah, Andrew, Calvin, Robert, John, Charles, Della, Nellie, Willie, Ryegate, Edward (b&d 1894) and one infant. Charles' father was Andrew Miller who was born in Glasgow, Scotland about 1776, In 1796 he came to the US to VT. While in VT he married Margaret McLeary (b in Ireland). In 1827 the family moved to NY and not long after to RC settleing in T5 R5 Sec 9. Andrew had 14 children, 3 died as infants: James, Jane, Robert, William, Margaret, Andrew, Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Rachel, John and Charles. Charles' grandfather was James Miller born in Scotland. He was a miller by trade. (1894)
The first Mayor of Red Bud, under its incorporation as a city, deserves mention among the biographies of the citizens of Randolph County. Red Bud was incorporated as a city in February, 1875, and the first Mayor was elected in the following March. Jacob Miller was chosen. Mr. Miller was born at the town of Neuborn, a village of the northern part of Germany, on the nineteenth day of March, of the year 1829. Jacob Miller was the name of his father. His mother's name before marriage was Ann Mary Hermel. There were eight children in the family, of whom Jacob was the fifth. When he was four years old, his father removed with the family to America. This was in the summer of 1833. Landing in New York, the family proceeded to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and lived here four years. Here Jacob went to school, and received the first elements of his education.
In the year 1837 the family moved west, and came to Monroe County, Illinois, and located five miles south of the town of Waterloo, where Mr. Miller's father bought a piece of land, and settled down as a farmer. Mr. Miller went to school after coming to Monroe County, and was brought up on the farm. His father died when Jacob was about twenty years old. After his father's death Mr. Miller bought the old homestead, and carried on farming. On the eleventh of December, 1852, he was married to Elizabeth Guekel, who had been born at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. After this event, Mr. Miller continued farming. During eight years he filled the position of constable in Monroe County, and for two years also kept a store at Burksville.
In the year 1867, Mr. Miller moved to Red Bud, in Randolph County, where he was appointed constable. In November, 1868, he was elected to fill the same office. In March, 1875, he was chosen Mayor of Red Bud, which had recently been incorporated as a city. At present Mr. Miller is also engaged in the lumber business at the same place. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have had two children. Mr. Miller has always been a Democrat in politics, voting that ticket ever since he began to cast a ballot. He was, however, elected to his position of Mayor, not as the candidate of any particular party, but was supported alike by men of all political proclivities. Mr. Miller has been a worthy citizen in the community in which he lives, and is held in consideration for his many good qualities.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John Madison Miller
Gen. Miller was born in Mercer County, Pa., Feb. 6th, 1813. He was raised up to manhood in the City of St. Louis. At the early age of thirteen, he began life for himself in the city, a poor boy, without friends to assist his first endeavor towards place and business. For a time, he employed himself in running errands and in doing such odd jobs as chance threw in his way. He finally reached a clerkship in a leading business house, from which he worked his way up to a commercial footing among the merchants of the city. He followed the dry goods business in St. Louis, in Jefferson County, and in Monroe County, Illinois, till the breaking out of the Mexican war, when he enlisted into the United States Service as a private. During the war, for gallant conduct on the battle-field, he was made captain of a company, which he commanded till the cessation of hostilities. He returned to Waterloo, Monroe County, and after remaining there a short time, he established a steam ferry, plying between Carondolet, Mo., and the shore of Illinois, the first of the kind between these points, residing in the meantime, at Carondolet, Mo. His health soon failed, and in 1849, he joined a band of emigrants for the great Eldorado of America, and after a tedious journey of eighty-three days, he landed in California. He remained in that State, mining, and merchandizing, till 1852. Resigning the position of Judge of a Court of Record, he returned home at this date, and made St. Louis his home, till he moved to this County, in 1872. At the breaking out of the late civil war, he raised a company at Carondolet, (now South St. Louis,) was elected as its captain, (1st Mo. Inft., Blair's Reg.,) and went immediately into active service and took part in the actions of Boonesville and Wilson's Creek. Just prior to the battle of Pittsburg Landing, he was appointed colonel of the 18th Mo. infantry. During this engagement he commanded the 2d Brigade, Prentiss' Division, and was taken prisoner. [For gallant conduct on his part during this fight, he was afterwards commissioned Brigadier General.] He was held a prisoner of war about six months, and during that time, was one of the three commissioners appointed by the Confederate Government, to negotiate an exchange of prisoners, and finally secured the object sought. After his exchange, he resumed the command of his regiment, and served in its command till failing health necessitated his resignation, when he returned to his home, in St. Louis, in the spring of 1865. He was afterwards appointed military commander of the S. E. District of Missouri, but he soon again lost his health, resigned, and returned home.
General Miller, not only has a varied and extensive experience in military affairs, but has figured pretty extensively in politics as well. While a resident at Carondolet, he stepped from the mayoralty of that place into the Lower House of the Legislature of Missouri, where he was returned a second time. After the war, he was elected to the State Senate, Governor Fletcher being in the gubernatorial chair at the time. He aided in the re-organization of the State, and was chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs, and in other respects contributed help in bringing law and order out of the social chaos and insubordination consequent on the war. He has had some experience in the great railroad interests of the country, and was president of the company that built the Iron Mountain Railroad. He was afterward appointed Fund Commissioner, on behalf of the State, during the building of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Mr. Miller was married to Miss Margaret E. Fletcher, daughter of Clermont Fletcher, and sister of Governor Fletcher, of Missouri. By this lady he had six children, three of whom are now living, viz.: Col. M. Elwood, Miss Dora B. and Miss M. Lulu, all at home in this County.
The General himself, not only has a patriotic record, but his ancestry before him have been distinguished for their patriotic and martial spirit. His grandfather, John Miller, came over from Germany and settled in the Colony of New Jersey, not a great while before the Revolutionary war. He afterwards joined the Continental forces, and was killed at the memorable battle of Princeton. After his arrival in this country, he married a lady by the name of Margaret Campbell, a native of Scotland. They raised a family of six children, viz.: John, Ellen, who became the wife of Hugh Merideth, Mary, the wife of Mr. Dull, Margaret, James and Peter. These principally settled in and around Philadelphia, where they were known as among the leading wealthy families of that State. James, Mr. Miller's father, was born in Philadelphia County, Pa., Feb. 26th, 1767. He emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Edwardsville, Madison County, in 1821, and after remaining there a short time, he settled in St. Louis, where he spent his last days. In 1802 he was married to Miss Ann Lang, daughter of John Lang, of Cumberland County, Pa., and a Scotchman by birth. The fruits of this union were three sons and two daughters, two of whom are yet living, viz.: the subject of this sketch and Mrs. Emily (Jac.) Stein. James died in New Orleans, and Thomas J. and Margaret, in St. Louis. The lather of these, died in the same city, in 1825, and their mother, in 1832. He was an old soldier of our last British war, known as that of 1812, was once a leading official of the Keystone State, where he occupied a high social position among the people.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Miller, Madison was born in Mercer Co, PA on 06 Feb 1813, He grew up in St Louis and was alone on the streets by age 13. He enlisted in the Mexican War. After the war he relocated to Waterloo, where he had a steam Ferry. In 1849 he went to California where he became a judge until 1852 when he returned to St Louis. During the CW he was Captain of Co H 1st MO Inf, then Col of the 18th Mo Inf, while commanding the 2nd Brigade he was taken prisoner. And made a Brigadier General. He married Margaret E Fletcher the d/o Clermont. Gen Miller came to RC in 1872. He and Margaret's children were: Col M Elwood, Dora B and M Lulu. Madison's father was James Miller born in Philadelphia on 26 Feb 1767. Early he moved to Madison Co, Il and in 1821 to St Louis where he died in 1825. In 1802 James married Ann Lang d/o John. She died in 1832. There children were: Madison, Emily, James (d in New Orleans), Thomas J and Mary. Madison's grandfather, John, came to the US very early from Germany to NJ. His wife was Margaret Campbell of Scotland. Their children were: John, Ellen, Mary, Margaret, James and Peter. All these children settled in PA. John was killed at Princeton during the Rev War. (1894)
Samuel Milligan, Deceased
Mr. Milligan was born in Adams County, Ohio, in 1809, and in 1837 came to Illinois and entered 240 acres of land near the site of Coulterville, and opened a large farm for that time. He was married the same year that he came to the County, the object of his choice being Miss Rachel K. Miller. He was a very industrious, energetic citizen, a useful member of the community both socially and religiously. He belonged to the Reformed Presbyterian Church, where he was distinguished for his devotedness. He was a warm friend to the cause of education, and nothing gave him more pleasure than the surrounding of his family with the means of mental improvement and recreation. He died July 13th, 1852. He was the father of eight children, their mother and six living, viz.: Margaret J., William A., Mary A., Elizabeth, the wife of George Miller, James S., and Dora E., the wife of Augustus W. Ridgeway. They all live either in, or near, Coulterville, and are upright, straight-forward members of the social community. The other two children, daughters, died when quite young.
The two sons are the proprietors of a Drug, Stationery and Book Store, where also is kept the Post-office of the place, in charge of the elder brother, William A., to which he was appointed in 1871.
William Milligan, Mr. Samuel Milligan's father, was a native of Scotland, and came to this country when a young man. He married a Miss Jane Gibson. He finally died in Preble Co., Ohio, near the little town of Morning Sun. She died about three years ago in Fayette County, Ind., near the town of Orange. Mr. Milligan's wife's people, the Millers, were also very early settlers of this County. Her father, Andrew, was born in Scotland, near the city of Glasgow and also came to this country when a young man. He remained a short time in the state of Vermont, where he married Miss Margaret McLeary, a native of Ireland. After stopping a while in New York, they came on to Illinois and settled in this County near the little town of Eden, where they both lived and died. They were well known as very excellent people and raised their family in the highest credibility.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Friedrich Möhrs is particularly worthy of mention in this work as belonging to one of the earliest German families to settle on the Horse Prairie in Randolph County. The Möhrs' family emigrated to America in the year 1838. Their home in Germany was at Imbshausen, in the Kingdom of Hanover, which now forms part of Prussia. Here Friedrich Möhrs was born on the eleventh day of November, 1826, the second son of Henry and Honne Möhrs. There were four children in the family. Henry went to school in Germany till 1838, when the family came to America. The Schriebers and Henry Byer came over in the same vessel.
Landing in the City of New York, they traveled to St. Louis by way of the Erie Canal and the lakes, a common way of accomplishing the journey in those days, before the construction of railroads. From St. Louis the family came on to Randolph County, and Henry Möhrs, the father, entered eighty acres of land which forms part of the farm now owned by Friedrich Möhrs. No Germans at that date had settled on the Horse Prairie. The country was wild and uncultivated. The Prairie was covered with grass, which sometimes grew to the height of a dozen feet, and herds of wild deer roamed through the timber and over the prairies. The family at first located in the timber, and much hard work was required to put the land under cultivation.
For several years after coming to the country there were no schools near, and Mr. Möhrs afterward attended school at Prairie du Round, seven miles and a half from his father's house. He only went to school at rare intervals, and did not receive much of an English education. His father kept him close at work. He was still living at home when he was married, on the twenty-fourth of December, 1851. His wife was Christine Rieke, who was also born at Imbshausen, Prussia. Mr. Möhrs still lived on the homestead, and managed the farm. Several years after his marriage, his father died, and Mr. Möhrs came into the possession of the homestead farm where he now resides. He has been a successful farmer, and has the ownership of about four hundred and fifty acres of land. On coming to the country the family had no money except enough to enter eighty acres of land. Mr. Möhrs has always been a hard-working and industrious farmer, having been trained to such habits from his youth up, and what he has made has resulted from such a course. Mr. Möhrs is the father of ten children, and all are living but one. Caroline, Anna, Frederick, Henry, August, Charles, Hannah, Herman, Ferdinand, and Eda, are their names. Caroline married Louis Breamer, a farmer of the same neighborhood. Mr. Möhrs has usually voted the Democratic ticket. The family are members of the Lutheran church on Horse Prairie. The Möhrs were soon followed by other German families, till now the Horse Prairie is occupied by a thrifty population principally of that class. As pioneers of the German population in this section of Randolph County the name of Möhrs deserves to be perpetuated.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Morrison, John was born near Londonderry, Ireland in 1822. His family came to the US in 1837, but John did not come over until 1839, staying with uncles in VA for a time. He married Mahala Steele the d/o Archibald. She died in 1864. Their children were: Matilda, Jane, William A and Henry. In 1876 John married again to Lurana (Simons) Brown) the d/o Edward Brown. Their children were: Charles E, Grace B, Carrie B and Lawrence S. His parents were James and Jane (Parkhill). Jane died in 1852. They came to the US in 1837, spending 6 years in Philadelphia, PA coming to RC in 1870. (1894) Morrison, Samuel was born six miles from Londonderry, Ireland on 30 Dec 1835. Upon reaching RC he opened a livery and stable in Chester. On 15 Sep 1853 he married Mary Jane Campbell the d/o John and Jane (Lively). Mary died in May 1878. In Dec 1880 he was appointed janitor for the Southern Illinois Penitentiary at Chester (today it is Menard). Samuel's children were: John E, James L, Nancy Jane, William A, Mary B (d age 14), and Susan C. Samuel had brothers: John (see above), William J and Robert. (1894) Menard, Pierre was born 17 Oct 1766 in Quebec, Canada. At age 15 he came to Detroit in 1786. He became Lt Governor in IL in 1818. He married Marie Therese Godin dit Tourangeau on 13 Jun 1972. They had 6 children. His second wife was Angelique Saucier who he married on 26 Sep 1806. He had saved her from a flood. They had 8 children. Pierre died 13 Jun 1844. His father was Jean Baptiste Menard dit Bridamour who was born in 1735 in France. He came to Canada in 1755 and married on 14 Feb 1763 to Francoise Circe dit St Michel. They had 10 children: Pierre, Francois, Hypolite and seven others. Munford, David was born in SC on 18 Dec 1815, He came to RC Dec 1819 and settled in T5 R5. He married Janette McKelvey, the d/o Charles and Mary (Hunter) McKelvey. Their children were: James, Lydia and William. David's father was from Ireland and came alone to the SC after 1778. He married Janette McMillian in SC. She came with her family to SC from Ireland via PA. Their children were:Mary, Matthew, Robert (d 1832 in OH), John (d 1863 IN), Mary (D SC) and Janette (d SC). David's father second wife was Mary Cathcart, the d/o of David. They had two children: David and William. (1875)
Judge John Morrison
Mr. Morrison was born in Ireland, and in the County of Derry in 1822. In his sixteenth year he left his native country, and came to the United States of America, landing at the City of Philadelphia. He soon came on to Randolph County, Illinois, and settled himself down at Georgetown, now Steelville, and has remained in this community ever since, engaged most of the time in the honorable avocation of tilling the soil. He was married about 1845 to Miss Mahala Steele, sister of Anthony Steele, and daughter of Archibald Steele, old settlers of the County. This lady died some seven years ago, leaving seven children, six now living, viz. Mrs. Matilda (Wm.) McCoy, Mrs. Elizabeth (Wm.) Tate, Mrs. Mary J. (John L.) Hart, Mrs. Nancy E. (Franklin) Pair, Archibald and John H. The eldest, James, was accidentally killed about the age of twenty-two. These children all live near the old homestead, and are known as honorable and useful citizens and members of the social community.
Mr. Morrison has never been an aspirant for office nor political preferment, preferring the domestic enjoyment of his own fireside and the society of his neighbors to the harassing cares of public station, and he has held the office of County Commissioner for the last two years, simply at the earnest solicitation of his many friends.
In the discharge of his official duties it is well known that he has been prompt, faithful and efficient; but for this he craves no honor, having merely performed his duty towards the people.
In business he has been prosperous to a fair extent, considering that he now owns a beautiful homestead of three hundred and sixty acres of finely improved land; all the result of his honest toils and good management, together with the increased value of real estate as the country has been settled and developed. When he arrived in this community, he was a poor boy, far away from home and friends, and had only $2.50 in his possession. He hired out at once to Mr. Geo. Steele at $13 per month, and assisted while working for this gentleman in the erection of the first brick building put up in Georgetown. This building is yet standing, and is owned by Mr. Ira Jenkins.
Politically, the Judge is a Democrat. While the Old Whig Party had an existence, he was a factor of that party; but after its dissolution, he did not follow the majority of the Whigs into the folds of Republicanism, but preferred the sound and time-honored principles of tried Democracy.
During the late civil war he stood with Douglass and Crittenden as the exponents of the true doctrines of the Constitution and the Union growing out of it.
The Judge has had excellent health ever since he has been in the State; and during the last thirteen years he has not had a doctor to visit his family professionally.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
William Mudd, one of the old residents of Randolph County, living near the line dividing Townships six-eight and five-eight, was born and raised in Randolph County. Both his father and mother were Kentuckians by birth, but had been residents of Randolph County since the year 1823. His family was of Scotch and English descent, Scotch on his father's, and English on his mother's side.
The name of Mr. Mudd's grandfather was Thomas Mudd. Thomas Mudd emigrated to America at a period early in the history of the colonies, and settled in the State of Maryland. He was a young man on coming to the United States, and he married in Maryland. There were several sons by this marriage, and the third was Francis Mudd, who was born about the year 1795, and who became the father of William Mudd, the subject of this writing. Thomas Mudd and his sons moved from Kentucky, and settled on the highlands in the prairie back of Prairie du Rocher, and the family and descendants have since filled a very respectable position among the citizens of Randolph County. Francis was born in Maryland, but his father's family moved from that State to Kentucky while he was yet a boy. In Kentucky they lived principally in Washington and Spencer Counties. At the time of the breaking out of the war of 1812, Francis Mudd volunteered in the forces opposed to the British invaders. Among the other services which he rendered, he was in the battle of New Orleans, taking an honorable part in that memorable engagement, under General Jackson.
In the year 1820 Francis Mudd was married to Louisa Gough. About three years after this marriage he removed with his wife to Randolph, County, Illinois, and settled on the old Belleville and Kaskaskia road, ten miles from Kaskaskia. He resided here, living the quiet life of a farmer, and respected by his neighbors, till his death, which took place in the year 1863. Francis Mudd had in all a family of twelve children, equally divided between boys and girls. Six of these are now living, two of the sons and four daughters.
The fourth of these children was William Mudd, who was born on the fifteenth day of September, 1827, on the old homestead farm on the Belleville and Kaskaskia road. He received as good a common school education as the circumstances of those days allowed. He remained at home working on the farm till he became of age, when he resolved to quit farming and learn the carpenter's trade, a plan which he carried out. When about twenty-two or twenty-three, he visited Texas and spent one winter in that country. He came back to Illinois, and for six or seven years followed his trade, working principally in Randolph County, though part of the time he was employed elsewhere. In September, 1857, he was married to Elizabeth Connelly, who was born and raised on the Horse Prairie of Randolph County. For a short time after his marriage he followed the trade of a carpenter, and then went to farming on the Prairie du Rocher Commons, above the village of Prairie du Rocher. In the year 1866 he bought the farm on which he now lives, on Claim 999, Survey 501. Mr. Mudd has since adhered to the pursuit of farming. His farm is made up of one hundred and seventy-six acres of land, over one-half of which is under good cultivation.
His first wife died in December, 1872, and Mr. Mudd was again married in April, 1874, to Mary, the daughter of John Dewitt, of Randolph County. He has had eight children. Two are dead. The names of the six living in the order of their births are, George, Damascus, Francis, Celena, Amanda Arminta, Charles Samuel, and Amos, all by his first wife. Mr. Mudd has been a straight-out Democrat all his life. He voted for James K. Polk in 1844, and has since continued steadfast in his attachment to the Democratic party, and constant in voting for its candidates. With the exceptions mentioned, Mr. Mudd's whole life has been spent in Randolph County. He began poor, and has worked his way up by his own energy and industry.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Judge William Mudd - Of Union Precinct
Judge Mudd is the representative of a numerous and respectable family which settled in Randolph County at an early period in the history of the American settlements. The family came in the year 1818 from Kentucky, but their home was originally in Maryland. The Mudds were English in their descent, and emigrated from England to America at a period when the thirteen states, afterward erected into the American Union, were colonies of Great Britain. The family settled in the State of Maryland at an early period of its history. The family in its early history was attached to the Catholic faith, and according to the best information which can now be obtained, the earliest members of the family to come to America formed part of Lord Baltimore's celebrated colony.
The name of Judge Mudd's grandfather was Thomas Mudd. He was born in Maryland, and there married Joanna Carrick. Her ancestors were also old residents of Maryland, and some members of the family took part in the Revolutionary war, doing their part toward the achieving of the independence of the colonies. Thomas Mudd, within a few years after his marriage, moved to Kentucky, and was among the pioneer settlers of that state. His home was in Spencer County. He had nine children, seven sons and two daughters. All these grew to maturity except one of the daughters. Their names in the order of their ages were James, Edward, Francis, Joseph, Felix, John, Thomas H., and the daughter Lucretia. The only one of the sons now living is John Mudd, who resides on the Bluffs back from Prairie du Rocher. Lucretia is the wife of Henry O'Harra, a citizen of Red Bud. The two oldest sons, James and Francis, were born in Maryland, the others in Kentucky. The oldest of these children, James Mudd, was the father of William Mudd, the subject of this biography. He was born in Maryland, and when a mere boy accompanied his father to Kentucky. Here he grew up to manhood with such chances in the way of schooling as could be obtained in a new and uncultivated country. He was a person of good natural ability, well endowed with common sense, and afterward became an estimable citizen. He was married in Kentucky to Amallia O'Harra, the sister of James and Henry O'Harra, now old citizens of Randolph County. The O'Harra family, was of Irish origin, and on coming to America located in Frederick County, Maryland, and afterward emigrated to Nelson County, Kentucky.
James Mudd had a family of five sons and three daughters, all of whom grew up with the exception of one of the sons. Their names were William, Henry, Felix, Charles, Thomas L., and Pius; and the daughters Margaret A., Henrietta, and Eliza L. William Mudd, the oldest of the children, was born in Kentucky, on the thirtieth day of April of the year 1816. Two years after his birth the family moved to Illinois, where the younger children were born. At that time emigration was setting strongly from Kentucky toward the Illinois settlements. Reports of the fertility and cheapness of the soil attracted a large number of emigrants, and Randolph County witnessed a large influx of new settlers whose coming materially advanced the prosperity of the County. Thomas Mudd, and all his seven sons, left Kentucky, in 1818. The journey overland was accomplished in an old-fashioned Kentucky wagon drawn by four horses, the like of which is never seen in these days of light wagons and fast driving. It was Christmas day of 1818 when they arrived at Kaskaskia, then at the zenith of its importance as the chief city of Illinois. The families remained in Kaskaskia but a short time, and then settled on land purchased on the high grounds in the prairie about four miles north of east from the village of Prairie du Rocher. After living here a couple of years, Mr. Mudd's father built a house within a mile of the above named locality, and here William Mudd passed his youth and grew up to manhood.
A mark of the difference of those early times from the present may be seen in the methods of common school instruction employed then and now. Reading, writing and arithmetic were the only branches known to be taught, and these could only be pursued at the subscription schools held a few month in each year. William, being the oldest son, was naturally obliged to remain much at home, and so had fewer advantages than the younger members of the family. He lived at home until in his twenty-first year. When between twenty and twenty-one, he gratified his adventurous and enterprising disposition by a journey to Wisconsin, where he spent six months, at work in the lead mines of that region. He returned to Randolph County, and when about twenty-one bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, of which he has held possession ever since, and which now forms part of the farm on which he resides. Mr. Mudd continued for some time to make his home with his father. When in his twenty-fourth year he moved on his property and kept house by himself till the time of his marriage, which took place on the twenty-second of February, 1861. His wife was Amanda Phegley, the daughter of Abraham, and the sister of William Phegley, now of Randolph County.
With the exception of two years, Mr. Mudd has since been a resident of Randolph County. These two years, 1845 and 1846, were spent in Wisconsin. One season he was employed in mining and teaming, and the next in farming. On his return to Randolph County, he took up his residence on his old farm, of which he had held the ownership, and where he has since lived. His wife died on the fifth of November, 1855; and on the tenth of February, 1857, he was married the second time. The lady, whom he this time selected as partner of his wedded lot, was Margaret A. Simpson, born in Grayson County, Kentucky, near Litchfield. She left Kentucky when about four years old, in the year 1828, and after a residence of nine years in Sangamon County, Illinois, her family came to Randolph. Mr. Mudd had five children by his first wife, of whom one daughter is living; by his second wife there have been four sons and two daughters; the boys are all living.
The Mudd family has always been Democratic in political principles, and its members have been earnest in their support of the faith and candidates of the Democratic party. Mr. Mudd voted for Martin Van Buren for President in 1840, and has voted the Democratic ticket at every presidential election since. Mr. Mudd has taken a warm interest in public affairs, and has been an active and influential member of his party. He has never been an aspirant for political office, but in 1857, against his own will and inclination, he was selected as the Candidate of the Democracy for the office of Associate Judge of Randolph County. To this position he was chosen and during his term of office displayed such rare fidelity to the interests of the people, that he was again elected in 1861, and served an additional four years. Mr. Mudd has since been engaged in the quiet and peaceful vocation of a farmer, prefering [sic] that career to all others. He owns five hundred acres of land in the vicinity of where he lives, two hundred and fifty of which are under good cultivation. A representation of his residence in Section thirty, Township four, Range seven, seven miles from Red Bud, may be seen on another page among the illustrations. Judge Mudd is quiet and unostentatious in his manner, averse to display, conscientious in the discharge of all his duties as a citizen of the state and a member of the community, and in every respect has shown himself worthy of the confidence of the people of the County.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
David Munford, Esq.
Mr. Munford was born in South Carolina December 18th, 1815, and came with his parents to this County in December, 1819. The family located and entered lands in Township 5-5. Here Mr. Munford's father died in the winter of 1842. His wife, Mr. Munford's mother, formerly Miss Mary Cathcart, daughter of David Cathcart, a native of Ireland, and an early settler of Township 4-5, is yet living, now in her 87th year, and resides with her son, William, a leading former of this section of the County. Mr. Munford was raised to manhood in the township where his parents first settled, and was there married to Miss Janette McKelvey, daughter of Charles and Mary (Hunter) McKelvey, also of South Carolina, and old settlers of this County. After his marriage Mr. Munford became a citizen of Township 4-5 in which he had previously bought land, about two miles west of the present flourishing little town of Coulterville, where he still owns a farm and on which he resided till the fall of 1874, at which time he moved to this town. He has spent his life as a farmer, a business to which he was raised. At present he is an acting Justice of the Peace, and is serving his fourth term in this office. He has never sought office, but in a few instances has at the solicitation of friends accepted positions of trust.
His chances of an education when young were of the most meager character, there being then no such system as that of the present common schools of the State. Altogether he did not, during his minority, get an attendance at such schools as were then in use, of more than two years' time. He has, however, in after life made good to a large extent, early deficiencies, by an industrious perusal of books, being naturally a lover of literature. He was brought up under the influence of the old Covenanter Presbyterian Church, now known as that of the Reformed Presbyterian, with which he early became connected, and in which he rose to the position of ruling elder. At a later period he became identified with the United Presbyterians, and has for a number of years filled a similar position in this denomination. Though deprived of literary privileges, during his youth, he was nevertheless highly favored with a religious education, which in his case was strengthened by the pious example of devout parents, who were members of the same church with which he himself was early related, and in which his father also filled the position of ruling elder.
Mr. Munford and lady have given their family both good literary and religious opportunities, and have bequeathed them along with a nice property, a bright example of Christian principles, and domestic peace and purity of social intercourse and deportment. Their two only surviving children, James R. and Miss Lydia L. are both consistent members of the United Presbyterian Church, and the former is married and settled on the farm formerly occupied by his parents.
Mr. Munford's parents were both natives of Ireland. They came to this country immediately after the last attempt made by their native Isle for independence, and but a short time after we had obtained ours in this country. He came alone direct to South Carolina, and she in company with her parents came to the same State, a short time afterwards, by way of Pennsylvania. They became acquainted and were married in the Palmetto State. He was however twice married. By his first wife, formerly Miss Janette McMillan, he had six children - all dead save two; Mrs. Mary Patterson of Oregon and Matthew of Perry County. Robert died of cholera in Cincinnati in 1832, where he was engaged in teaching at the time. The eldest son, John, died about 1863, in Indiana. He sent four sons into the Union Army during the late civil war. Margaret, the wife of Alexander McKelvey, died in South Carolina, and Janette, the wife of William McDill, died in this County some ten or twelve years ago. There were two children of the second marriage, viz., the subject of this sketch and William, also a resident of this County.
The Munford family were among the early Scotch families who embraced the sentiments and doctrines as expounded by the religious reformers of the sixteenth century. With others they were finally driven by persecution for conscience' sake into the northern part of Ireland, and from thence made their way to the United States of America. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Mr. Murphy was born in Ireland and came to this country in the fall of 1849. He settled near where Daniel McIntyre now lives, and where he bought a farm partly improved, comprising one hundred and twenty acres, and where he lived some five years, marrying in the meantime Miss Mary Smith, daughter of John Smith, also a native of Ireland. When Mr. Murphy sold this farm, he again bought where he now lives, east of Tilden, about a quarter of a mile.
Mr. Murphy is one of the independent farmers of this part of the County. He commenced in this country with little or no capital, and has by his own industry been enabled to purchase and pay for two nice farms, situate near Tilden. He has a family of seven children: John, Annie, Mary, Jane, Thomas, Robert and Grace, besides two dead.
Unfortunately, the early records of Mr. Murphy's family have been lost. His father's name was John, and his mother was formerly Miss Jane Conner. They raised nine children, five of whom came to this country, viz.: Alexander, Neal, Margaret, and the wife of George McCarthy, Catharine, the wife of John McIntyre, and Isabella. Margaret and husband settled in the State of New York, Alexander and Neal reside in Washington County, and the others in this County. Mr. Murphy's ancestry were originally from Scotland. They afterwards settled in the northern part of Ireland. They were Protestants by religious profession, and were known in the old world as an honorable, upright family.
Mr. Murphy is a member of the Presbyterian Church, also has amiable lady. He is a lover of the principles of the civil and religious liberty, and is devotedly attached to the popular institutions of this country. Politically, he is a Republican, and is a strong believer in the doctrines of universal equality before the civil law.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Ireland is well-represented in Randolph County, by persons born themselves on the soil of the Emerald Isle, and who afterwards emigrated to America, or by those who have sprung from Irish descent, their ancestors having sought a home across the Atlantic at an earlier date. A large portion of Randolph County is thus connected. This class embraces a large number of intelligent citizens and good farmers. Among them is William Murphy, of Township 6-7, who dates his residence in the County from the year 1843.
William Murphy is the son of Daniel Murphy, and Mary, his wife, whose maiden name was Carrol. He was born on the twenty-seventh of December, in the year 1836, in the County Cork, Ireland. Four children two boys and two girls, made up his father's family, and William was the second child. About the year 1841, Daniel Murphy emigrated with his family to America. William was then a boy of five. New Orleans was the point the family first reached on crossing the Atlantic. After living there a short time they proceeded to St. Louis; and in the year 1843, as related above, they came to Randolph County, and made a location in the Opossumden prairie. It was at this place that William was first initiated into the mysteries of book learning, and was taught how to read. His father bought a farm, and William was brought up on that. After living about six years in the Opossumden prairie, his father moved to the farm, in the year 1849, now owned by Mr. Murphy in Section two of Township 6-7. At that time he bought there eighty acres of land. Daniel Murphy lived there during the rest of his life. His death occurred in the year 1855. Mr. Murphy's mother had died eight years previously, in the year 1847. On the death of his father he took charge of the farm. He was the oldest son, and the sisters were unmarried. On the death of his younger brother, the homestead farm fell into his possession, and he has lived upon it up to the date of this writing. Mr. Murphy was two years under twenty-one when he set out farming on his own account. To say the least, he has been successful in the pursuit. Industry, enterprise, and good management have marked his career, and the result is that he occupies a position far in advance of the one he held twenty years ago. Over a thousand acres of land are in his ownership. Four hundred lie in the homestead farm, and three hundred and forty in the Kaskaskia point of the American Bottom. The remainder is situated in the neighborhood of his residence.
Mr. Murphy was married in September, 1867, to Ann Eliza Nixon, the daughter of J. R. Nixon. Mrs. Murphy is a native of the State of Indiana. There have been two children by this marriage, both of whom are living. Mr. Murphy's political principles have made him a supporter of the old and tried doctrines of the Democratic party. He has always acted in concert with the Democratic organization, and supported its candidates. Mr. Murphy is still in the prime of life and the vigor of his years. He has achieved a success with which few of the farmers of the County have been favored at his age. He has been brought up to habits of industry, was taught that economy and enterprise constitute the only sure road to wealth, and his record is a good illustration of what may be accomplished by any one who possesses the same inherent qualities - courage to undertake designs, and perseverance to carry them through.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails