Randolph County Illinois
Note: Some of these may be abstracted, instead of complete transcriptions. We're adding the complete biographies slowly but surely!
The abstracted bios were transcribed by Jeana Gallagher unless otherwise noted
John T. McBride
Few counties possess a set of officials so popular as those of Randolph. The persons who fill the County offices, beside being men of honor and integrity, are gentlemen, whose social feelings and generous instincts have won them a warm place in the affections of the people of the County. None will gainsay that this is true of John T. McBride, who is now serving has first term as County Clerk, and who had previously filled for two terms the office of Sheriff, and for a like period of time the position of Treasurer and Assessor.
The family, with which Mr. McBride is connected by descent, is one of the oldest in Randolph County outside of the descendants of the early French settlers. On his father's side he is Scotch-Irish blood. His grandfather was born and raised in the north of Ireland, whence he emigrated to America, and settled in South Carolina. He has previously been married in Ireland. His family was made up of several children, of whom the youngest was William McBride, the father of John T. McBride. William McBride was born in South Carolina about the year 1784, and there received a moderate education, and there also he afterward married. About 1804 the family, including Mr. McBride's grandfather, whose name was also William McBride, emigrated to Illinois. The journey from South Carolina was made by wagon, and the family settled at first a few miles south of the present town of Baldwin. There were at that time only a comparatively small number of American families in the territory embraced in Randolph County, by far the larger population of the early settlers being of French origin. After a residence of some years south of Baldwin, the family moved to the west side of the Kaskaskia river, and located on Section thirty, of Township four, Range eight. William McBride, the grandfather, is spoken of as a valuable constituent of the Irish settlement. His life was one of industry, and he lived in a manner which rendered him a favorite in the community. Though somewhat advanced in years in coming to Illinois, he endured well the hardships of western pioneer life and died in 1818. William McBride, the father, was also a man of considerable standing in the community. He was Captain of a militia company in 1813.
On the death of his first wife, whom he had married in South Carolina, William McBride was the second time united in the bonds of matrimony, to Miss Eliza Nelson. She was the mother of John T. McBride. The Nelson family is of English origin. They settled at an early date in America, in the old Abbeville district of South Carolina, and some of the family participated in the Revolutionary war. William McBride had ten children, an equal number of boys and girls, and of these three boys and four girls are living at the time of this writing. John T. McBride was the youngest of the boys, and next to the youngest child, having only a sister younger than himself. He was born on the place of the early settlement of the family, Section thirty, of Township four-eight, within one hundred yards of the Monroe County line. The date of his birth was the fifth of October, 1838. His father owned a farm, and Mr. McBride was brought up as a farmer. The schools in the neighborhood were of an average character, and in these he received the principal part of his education, supplementing, however, the instruction he received at school with subsequent careful reading and study.
In the year 1856, his father died. Mr. McBride was then a young man of eighteen, and he remained on the farm, and attended to its management, his older brothers with one exception having married and moved away. He was still on the homestead farm at the time of his marriage, which was celebrated on the twenty-first of April, 1859. The bride was Miss Mary Wilson, whose father was one of the early residents of Randolph County. Gilbert Wilson was a man of original character. Among his traits was a peculiar fondness for hunting, which he followed with great zeal and much success. The last wild horse killed in Randolph County fell from a shot of Gilbert Wilson's rifle. After his marriage Mr. McBride retained possession of the old homestead, where he continued to farm, though the succeeding fall he was so afflicted with rheumatism that he was unable to engage in active employment. His wife died in December, 1861.
In the fall of 1860 Mr. McBride had been elected Assessor and Treasurer for Randolph County. This position he filled for two terms of two years each, and in the discharge of its duties he acquitted himself with credit. At the fall election of 1864, Mr. McBride's name was presented as a candidate for the office of Sheriff, to which he was elected. By the provisions of the old constitution, Mr. McBride was ineligible to serve a second term immediately succeeding the first, but in 1868 he was again a candidate, and was again chosen to the position, which he ably filled for the term of two additional years. His term of office expired in 1871, and this and the following year, were devoted to his own business affairs. At the fall elections of 1873 Mr. McBride was chosen County Clerk for the term of four years, the office with whose duties he is at present occupied. His majority of over fifteen hundred is sufficient evidence of his popularity throughout the county, and of the esteem in which he is held as an efficient and faithful public officer. Mr. McBride's second marriage took place on the fourth of March, 1873. Mary C. Smith was the former name of his wife. She was born and raised in Chester, and was the daughter of the late Davis Smith. Mrs. McBride's family was originally from Tennessee. Mr. McBride has two children, one by his first, and one by his second wife.
Mr. McBride has been a steadfast Democrat in politics, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs. His honesty and integrity of character form the basis of his popularity. He is a man who never betrayed a trust. He has been loyal to the interests of the County, to his party, and to every confidence reposed in him. For two terms he was Mayor of the City of Chester, and few citizens of the County have enjoyed higher marks of the popular esteem.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
James V. McClenahan
McClenahan/McClanahan, James V, The RC McClenahan's originated in Scotland. They went to Ireland, and then VA. In 1796 they came to Ste. Genevieve Co., Mo., and one of the sons settled in RC about 1870. He was James V. McClenahan b. 1842 Ste. Genevieve Co., Mo., and married Marie Clementine Dufour. They lived in Prairie du Rocher, Randolph C., IL., and their children were - Sarah Lucille, Francis Vandorn, Mary Felicity, Elias, Julius, Aluna Vina, William S. and Emma. James and Clementine are buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Prairie du Rocher, as well as many of the children and their spouses. [Submitted by Ghursey]
Mr. McClurken's nationality is Scotch-Irish through both family lines. His grandfather, Matthew McClurken, and his grandfather, John Leaper, both came from Ireland about the same time, and both served in the Revolutionary War as patriot soldiers. They took part in the memorable battle of Bunker Hill, in which the former was seriously, though not mortally, wounded. After the independence of the States, Mr. McClurken settled in South Carolina, and was afterwards numbered among the early emigrants to Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his days, and died in Preble County. James, one of his sons, and the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in South Carolina, went with his parents to Ohio, and was there raised, and was a citizen of that State at the time of his marriage. The object of his affections and his matrimonial partner was a Miss Susan Leaper, a native of Kentucky, where the marriage was celebrated.
With his young family he started west in 1818, and the same year landed in Randolph County, Illinois. He first made a location about six miles west of the site of Sparta, and in 1820 moved into the limits of Township 5-5. In 1822 he entered quite a large body of land, which included the first addition made to this town, and on which it now principally stands. He built a cotton-gin, which was very likely the first one erected in Southern Illinois. He also introduced the culture of the castor bean, and built an oil factory for the manufacture of castor oil, which he operated for a number of years. He not only assisted in the first material developments of the County, but assiduously studied the character of its soil, and sought to introduce those cereals best adapted to its nature and that of the climate. He took a comprehensive view of the real needs of the young community where he lived; and such was the force of his judgment and opinions on all questions concerning the general welfare, that it was but a short time till he had established a reputation which extended far beyond the limits of his own County. Yielding to the request of the people, he allowed his name on one occasion to be used as a candidate for the State Legislature, while the capital was at Kaskaskia. He was elected to this position, and made an intelligent and active member; but not relishing the responsibilities and harassing cares of political life, he declined to serve again, preferring the quiet of his own family circle and the usual industries connected with the agricultural interests of the country.
He gave liberally of his means in the support of the cause of religion, particularly in building up a congregation of the Reformed Presbyterians, of which denomination he was a member. He finally died in Sparta, Jan. 8th, 1851, a town he took a prominent part in building up. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and took part in the famous battle of New Orleans. He raised eight children by one wife, who survived him a number of years. Two of these Mr. McClurken and Mrs. Florence A. Gardener, are residents of this County. One sister lives in Clay County, and James in Washington County, as a Major of the Thirty-third Illinois Infantry Volunteers during the late Civil War, and was killed at the battle of Bellmont, Missouri, the first engagement fought under General Grant of this war. The eldest sister, Mrs. Jane Likly, died last Spring near Springfield, Missouri. The eldest brother, Samuel, died in St. Louis some twenty years ago, and Mrs. Sarah Field died some fifteen years prior to the present date in Washington County.
Mr. McClurken, our subject, was born in the town of Sparta August 26th, 1823, and has resided within the immediate community of his nativity ever since, and is the oldest native citizen of this town. During his youth he was employed with his father in conducting the farm, running the cotton gin, and in manufacturing castor oil. In 1839 he was employed with his father in running a saw-mill. Two years later he engaged with his brother-in-law, Mr. Gardener, in running a flouring mill. In 1852, in company with a number of gentlemen, he built in Sparta the large flouring mills now under the management of Perry Barker. In 1860 he took charge of the woolen mills of this town, then the property of his brother Thomas, where he has remained in businsss [sic] ever since, and now owns these valuable and most popular mills.
Mr. McClurken has been twice married. By his first wife, formerly Miss Catharine Peep, he had one child, Emma. His second wife, once Miss Rosa Gaston, is yet living, and has born her husband three children: Mary, James and Clara.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
McConachie, David lived in Sparta. He was born 11 Feb 1834 in Ireland. On 22 Apr 1862 he married Eliza Foster the d/o AP and Mary (Crawford). She was born in RC. Her grandparents were James and Ann (Morrow) Foster. David's children were: Larcros G, William E and Mary V. David's father was also named David. He was born in Co Antrium, Ireland in 1800. He came to the US in 1848 via New Orleans and died in 1885 in Sparta. His wife was Violet Hunter. David and Violets children were: John H, David, Violet H, Robert C, Eliza Jane, William A, Jennie, Alex, Ann, Thomas and James. David Sr's second marriage was to Mrs Eliza Holliday in 1881. She died in Apr 1893. (1894)
William K. McDill (Deceased)
Mr. McDill was born in South Carolina, in 1797, near the City of Columbia. In 1818, in company with his father and family, he arrived in this County, and made a settlement in Township 4-5. He here married Miss Janett Munford, in 1823, and settled down to farm life, and teaching, during the fall and winter seasons. He continued to reside on the place first settled, till the time of his death, May 12th, 1839. He was a devout and zealous member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and died in the full assurance of a blessed immortality. He lived a life, characterized by a strict regard for the moral requirements of the Bible, a Christian humility, and a warm, generous disposition towards his friends, and the people in general. In his habits he was quiet and rather retired, but was an independent thinker, and very firm in his principles. His wife survived him quite a number of years - dying in 1865. She was also connected with the same Church as her husband, and died in hope, within its fellowship. She was a lady of very mild disposition, quiet in her habits, and a devoted, fond mother to her children and husband. They had a family of seven children raised to maturity, viz.: John, James, Robert, Janette, Mary, Thomas and Margaret. John and Robert reside in Sparta, where, for several years they have been engaged in conducting the large merchant flouring mill of McCutcheon, Gordon & Co. James died from the effects of exposure received while doing duty as a union soldier, during the late civil war. Thomas resides on the old homestead. Mary died while single, in 1849. Janette, the wife of John Hodson, resides with her husband, in Sparta; and Margaret and husband, John Breckenridge, reside in Township 5-5 of this County.
Mr. McDill's mother, formerly Miss Jane Bell, died in S. Carolina. His father, John, as already remarked, came with him to this County, where he died, in 1824.
The McDills are of Irish descent. It is not now known, at what precise date the forefathers of the present generation arrived within the limits of the United States. They were here, however, in time to bear their part in the struggles of the Colonies for independence from the British Crown, and Mr. McDill's father was a Continental soldier, and served his country during nearly the whole seven years of hostilities. After the war, he continued to reside in South Carolina, till the time of his coming to Illinois. This family early embraced the Protestant faith, and the succeeding generations have generally kept up the time-honored principles of their predecessors. As a family, they have been distinguished on account of their morality, industry, and good citizenship in general. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
John R. McFie, Esq.
Mr. McFie's parents were both born in Scotland. His father, John, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Borland, were married in the country of their nativity, and had seven children before embarking for this country where they arrived in 1845. They came by way of the Lakes, and touched first at Chicago, and then made their way to southern Illinois, and settled in Washington County. After a residence there of some five years, they came to this County and located near Coulterville. Mr. McFie received in Scotland a finished education, and followed teaching several years before coming to this country, and also a number of years after becoming a citizen of Illinois. He died at his residence near Coulterville, August 7th, 1862, after a lingering sickness of four years. He was a devout member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. He possessed fine natural abilities, and bore an untarnished reputation. His last long sickness made a heavy drain on the small amount of means he had accumulated, and his family were left in straitened circumstances. Two children were added to the family circle after coming to this country, viz.: William and the subject of this sketch. The mother and two children, John R. and Elizabeth, relict of Francis Selfridge, are residents of Coulterville. William, the only other surviving member, lives at present in Colorado. Both these sons served in the Union army during the late rebellion of the Southern States. William volunteered into the service in 1861, and was in the army three years. John enlisted in 1864, and served till the close of the war. He volunteered into the 30th Illinois Infantry, Co. E, and was finally made regimental P. M. He was with General Sherman in his celebrated march to the sea, from Kenesaw mountains to the Atlantic.
Mr. McFie's early inclinations led him to adopt the law as a profession, and he commenced a course of legal reading at the age of twenty-two, under J. B. Jones, Esq., of Sparta, now of St. Louis. He completed his studies with this gentleman, and was duly admitted to the bar in April, 1870. He at once established a practice in Coulterville, where he has resided ever since, and is now regarded by his friends as a rising man, both at the bar and in politics. Mr. McFie is self-made. When he commenced the study of the law he had to borrow money to defray the incidental expenses, board, etc. He has already amassed a nice property, and is just entering, we have no doubt, on a course of prosperity. We noticed that he was the strongest candidate, with one exception, for the State Legislature in the Republican convention of 1874 for the nomination of a minority candidate.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Eliha B. McGuire
McGuire, Eliha B was the mayor of Sparta and a Banker. He was born in Washington Co, IL in 1844. His father was Henry L, born in 1805 in Chester Dist, SC. In 1866 the family moved to Sparta. Henry died in 1875. Henry's first marriage was to Eliza Campbell, who died in 1837. Their children were: Jane Matilda, Nancy T and Eliza (died by 1894). Henry's second marriage was to Mary Lyons. She was born in Co Antrim, Ireland 01 Aug 1803 and came to the US in 1805. Her father was named James. Mary died 26 Sep 1893. She and Henry had 6 children, but by 1984 only Eliha and John were still living. Eliha's grandfather was John, born in Ireland and came to SC. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. (1894)
Mr. McIntyre, as many others of his township, is a Scotchman by birth. In company with his father, John McIntyre, he arrived in this County in 1839. They were followed the ensuing year by the remainder of the family. A selection was made, and a home founded within the limits of Township 4-6, near where Mr. McIntyre now lives. He was twelve years old when he first reached Randolph County, and he remained with his parents on the farm till about twenty-three years old, at which time he was married to Miss Elizabeth Edmiston, daughter of John Edmiston, an old settler of this County, from Tennessee. Immediately after his marriage he began to farm as a renter, and at the end of two years he borrowed money and bought a forty acre tract, now a part of his large farm, on which he moved at once and commenced the work of improvement. For several years he farmed on a small scale, but did an extensive business in breaking prairie, running at times several different teams. While in this business he began his first trading in live stock by buying young cattle, breaking them to the yoke, and selling them to the settlers as their requirements demanded. Formerly the principal part of the hauling and breaking in this country was performed by means of ox-teams, which were, always in good demand. In this business Mr. McIntyre made his first money and in this business he also took his first lessons as a trader, in which capacity he afterwards became quite prominent in his part of the County. At a later period in his history he enlarged his farming facilities, purchased additional lands and put up an oil press for the utilization of the Castor bean market, which is yet in operation, and which has been quite a benefit to the people of this community. In his business transactions, Mr. McIntyre has regarded the wants of the poorer class of his immediate neighborhood, as much and often even more than his own immediate interests, and many are the instances in which he has paid wages to the needy when there was really no need of the labor performed. We wish that it could be said of every citizen, what can be truthfully recorded of Mr. McIntyre, viz.: that he has been a blessing to his neighborhood.
In the home place he has about 280 acres. It is well stocked and improved, and he owns about as much more in other parts of the County.
Mr. McIntyre's father, as already stated, settled in Township 4-6, on his arrival in this County. He opened a farm on which he lived till removed from this sphere of existence by death, Feb. 3d, 1865. He became a member of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland, and was a faithful follower of the Saviour all his life. He carried the principles of Christianity into all his business transactions, and with the aid of his estimable Christian companion succeeded in rearing up a family who have followed the examples set for them by their pious ancestors, and who have all become useful citizens and faithful members of the church. They raised four children, all born in the old country. Two of the brothers, John and Thomas, reside in Township 4-6. Daniel resides in Township 4-5, and the only sister, the wife of Alexander Thompson, died in Perry County some twenty-nine years ago.
The mother of these is still living on the old homestead of her husband, now far advanced in life (78), and is waiting to cross over the mystic stream to join the dear dead gone before.
The McIntyre family date their history far back in Scotland. They with all those of that nation whose name begin its orthography with "Mc," belonged to the Highland Clans. They early embraced the religious ideas of the Reformers of the 16th century, and their descendants have generally if not invariably walked in the ecclesiastical footsteps of their fathers. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
Daniel R. McMaster
Mr. McMaster was born within the township of his present residence, 4-6, August 14th, 1835, and with the exception of about three years spent in the milling business in Sparta, has resided all his life near the old homestead of his nativity. He has been twice married. His first wife, Miss Anna Colwell, was a native of Ireland, and came, when quite a small girl, to Ohio, where she was raised and educated. They were married in the winter of 1864, and she died September 27th, 1871, leaving to the care of her husband three children, the youngest an infant of six months. Mr. McMaster's second and present wife was Miss Mattie Fulton, daughter of David Fulton, one of the first settlers of Township 4-6 of this County.
During his minority Mr. McMaster received an ordinary common school education, such as was generally conferred on the pioneer boys of that day. More or less, he has been in public life since he reached the age of manhood. At the age of twenty-one he was elected to the office of Township Trustee, a position he filled till he moved to Sparta in 1867. While there he was made Mayor of the city, an office he resigned on his return to the farm in 1870. In the fall of the same year he was elected to the State Legislature, and was a member of what has since been known as the "Long Legislature." This was the first Legislature under the new constitution of the State in addition to the ordinary session, comprehended one adjourned and two called sessions, during which he served on the committees of corporations, claims and agriculture. He does not claim for himself any brilliant distinction, but it is well known to his constituency that he left behind him a record, which includes active discharge of duties, faithful constancy to his work, and an enlightened comprehension of the wants of the people and an honest effort to secure the passage of such laws as were demanded by the public good. In the fall of 1872 he was elected to the State Board of Equalization for the Eighteenth Congressional District. His term will not expire till 1876. It is rather a singular coincidence that each of the members of this Board for Southern Illinois has a name beginning with "Mc." McNutt, of the l5th; McCabe, of the 19th; McMaster, of the 18th; and McCalla of the 16th District. These Mc's have proved themselves indefatigable workers in the interests of this section of the State, and have done more toward securing a fair and equitable assessment for the people of Southern Illinois than any other gentlemen who have as yet served in this particular capacity.
While in Sparta, Mr. McMaster built, in company with a brother-in-law, John C. Boyle, a large steam flouring mill, which was afterwards burned down, entailing a loss of about $10,000 to each of the owners. This was a serious loss to the town as well as the owners, but we notice that the mill has since been rebuilt under the proprietorship of Mr. Boyle, and that Mr. McMaster has, by a successful course as an agriculturalist, fully indemnified himself of this serious drawback. In addition to farming on an extended scale, he has done something toward the introduction of fine stock within his community. He has been successful to rather an unusual degree, considering his chances at the beginning, and the heavy loss incurred by the burning of his mill. He is now out of debt, and is the possessor of the rise of 500 acres of fine farm land, well improved and well stocked.
The McMaster family were from Ireland to this country, though they trace their ancestry back to Scotland. They anciently formed a part of the Protestant element, which, on meeting persecution within their own country for conscience' sake, settled in the northern counties of Ireland, and many of whom crossed the Atlantic and settled in this country during the times of the colonies. Among these were James McMaster, Mr. McMaster's grandfather, who settled in South Carolina immediately on the close of the revolutionary war. His brothers preceded him to America, two of whom served in the Continental army. One of these was hung by the Tories, for no other reason than that he was a patriot soldier, and the other was, for a similar reason, starved to death on board a British prison ship. James McMaster lived and died in South Carolina. He raised two sons, and as many daughters, only one of whom, James, Mr. McMaster's father, came to Illinois. Hugh died when young in South Carolina. The daughters, Mrs. Henry and Mrs. Hood, both died also in their native State.
James arrived in Randolph County, Illinois, in 1831. He was married in his native State to Miss Mary Wright, now far advanced in life, and still living on the old homestead provided by her deceased husband.
After settling in Illinois he followed the business of farming, to which he had been brought up, and secured a home embracing some 300 acres, quite a large farm for that time, and on which he resided till 1870, the year of his demise, at the age of 73. He raised seven children - three sons and four daughters, viz.: John, D. R., Mrs. J. C. Boyle, of Sparta, who are residents of this county. James, the eldest brother, who resides in Nashville, Washington County, and who is one of the three representatives of the District, including that County, in the State Legislature; Jane, the wife of Francis White, a lumber merchant of Marissa, St. Clair County; Nancy (dec'd.), the wife of John White; and Mary (dec'd.), the wife of Charles Cathcart.
Mr. McMaster was a good husband, an industrious citizen, a kind father, and a conscientious, devout Christian. For many years he was a member of the Seceding branch of the Presbyterian Church, more recently and popularly known as the Associate Presbyterian. He died in this faith, and left behind him an example of early hospitality and unfeigned piety, well worthy our remembrance and imitation.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
McMillan, John 1789-1857 was born at sea on a voyage from Ireland to SC. One of 12 children, he was raised at Land's Ford in Chester Co, SC. He married Eliza Hemphill of SC in 1812 and brought his family to RC in 1818, settling near Eden. His farm was illustrated in the 1875 RC Atlas under his son's name, William H McMillan. His other children included: Jane, Robert H, Mary Nancy, Margaret E, Eliza Ann, Hannah Alice, and Eleanor. He was a money lender and active in politics and the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. (1875) [Submitted by Rob Livingston]
John C. McQuiston
In giving the history of many of the old settlers of Randolph County, it is but proper to devote a portion of our pages to a notice of Mr. McQuiston, one of our old settlers, well known these many years among the people. His grandfather, William McQuiston, came over to this country from Ireland, a short time before the Revolutionary war. When the war broke out he joined the patriotic cause, and served his country as an old Continental soldier, till the successful conclusion of the war. He lived, till the time of his death, in South Carolina. His widow, formerly Miss Jane Chestnut, with her family made her way to Kentucky, and after residing there for a number of years, moved to Ohio, where she arrived about 1830. In 1839, with a part of her family she arrived in this County, and died here, and her remains rest in the Hopewell grave-yard, about three miles south of Sparta. She was a lady of great personal fortitude, was well acquainted with General Marion, and when a young woman, on one occasion, rode alone, eighteen miles in the night, to warn the American camp of threatened danger from the British troops.
James McQuiston's father was born in Chester District, South Carolina. He was married in Kentucky, to Miss Elizabeth Cunningham, and arrived in this County with his mother, whom he accompanied to Ohio, in 1839. He continued to reside in this County until his death. Most of the time he was engaged in farming, but toward the close of his life he retired from business, and spent his last days in Sparta. He had only one brother, William, of the State of Mississippi, and who was appointed Marshall of Aberdeen District of that State, by Gen. Zachary Taylor, through the influence of his intimate friend of Kentucky, Hon. John J. Crittenden. Two of Mr. McQuiston's children, Elizabeth, the wife of Samuel Blair, and Martha, the wife of William Blair, reside in Perry County. Mary, the wife of James Brown, resides in Kansas. The only other son, James W., is a Merchant of Joplyn [sic], Mo.
Mr. McQuiston, the subject of this sketch, was born in the town of Elkton, Todd County, Kentucky, May 20th, 1825, and was therefore, about fourteen when he arrived in Randolph, where he has lived ever since, with the exception of seven years spent in St. Louis, in the wholesale house of George R. Pegram & Co. He was Deputy Sheriff two years, under Anthony Steele, about '57 and '58. Since living in Sparta, he has served both as City Marshall and City Clerk. In these positions he proved himself honest, and gave a good account of every dollar of money entrusted to his care, he was married in this County, to Miss Rebecca McNabney, daughter of another old settler. Two children, James W. and Edward E., constitute the fruits of this union. They are now engaged in conducting the Broadway Hotel, one of the largest and best kept public houses of the County.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]