Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Randolph County Illinois
Genealogy and History


line
Biographies
line


Note: Some of these may be abstracted, instead of complete transcriptions.  We're adding the complete biographies slowly but surely!
The abstracted bios were transcribed by Jeana Gallagher unless otherwise noted


Rawleigh Ralls
South-east of Red Bud, running about a mile from the Okaw, and parallel with it, is Ralls Ridge, one of the highest points of land in Randolph County. It has its name from the Ralls family, who settled on it at an early date, and have since made it their place of residence. The Ralls' claim to be of Welsh descent. They emigrated to Virginia at a period which runs back prior to the Revolutionary war. Their home in the Old Dominion was in Stafford County, where the family owned a large tract of land, and held a good position in the Virginia society of that day.
Rawleigh Ralls was also the name of the grandfather of the subject of this biography. He was born in Virginia, in 1762, and the statement is made on good authority that he served in the latter part of the Revolutionary war. He married Mary Hansbury, a lady through whose veins flowed French blood. She was born in the year 1764. Her two brothers were also soldiers in the struggle which took place on the part of the Colonies for their independence. One was sent to Kaskaskia as a bearer of despatches, or on some similar business, and was killed by the Indians on the Ohio river while making the journey. The other was taken prisoner by the British early in the struggle, was carried to England, and never found his way back to Virginia.  Rawleigh Ralls also served in Wayne's expedition against the Indians, in which he acquitted himself with credit.
In the year 1809, Rawleigh Ralls came to Randolph County with a family at that time consisting of three sons and five daughters. He had left Virginia some years previously and located in Tennessee. The place of his first settlement, on coming to Randolph County, was in the edge of the timber, on Prairie du Long Creek, about four miles northeast of the present town of Red Bud. The spot is now included in Monroe County, but is only about three-fourths of a mile from the County line.
The oldest son of Rawleigh Ralls, was Edward Ralls, born at Dumfries, the County seat of Stafford County, Virginia, on the eleventh day of January, of the year 1789. John Ralls, a pioneer preacher, who died in 1857, was his brother. Edward Ralls was consequently a young man of twenty on coming to Illinois. In the year 1811, he married Jane Hill, the daughter of Adam Hill, who came to Randolph County in the year 1804, settled not far from the present town of Evansville, and was one of the founders of the Irish settlement. Miss Hill had been born at Abbeville, South Carolina, in the year 1790. Her family was of Irish descent. Edward Ralls first began farming near his father, in the edge of Horse Prairie. He had in all eight children, of whom an equal number were boys and girls. The only one of the sons now living is Rawleigh Ralls, the third child. There are two of the daughters now living - Mary, the wife of John A. Wilson, of Sparta; and Amelia, who married William Foster, and also lives near Sparta. Rawleigh Ralls was born on the twenty-second day of April, of the year 1816. He was three years old when his father, Edward Ralls, moved to Missouri, and located in the Boone's Lick settlement, now in Howard County, Missouri. The fall of the same year his father, not liking Missouri as well as Illinois, moved back to Randolph County, and settled on the farm north of where Mr. Ralls now lives. His farm, situated on Ralls Ridge, where it is crossed by the road leading east from Red Bud to the Okaw, is one of the historic points in the Horse Prairie. It was first settled by Robert McMahon, whose family had previously been murdered by the Indians, an incident which is recorded in the history of the County.
At this place Mr. Ralls was raised. A school was usually held every winter in the settlement, which gave tolerably good advantages considering the state of the country. Mr. Ralls was married on the tenth of September, 1846, to Julia Permelia Burr. Mrs. Ralls was born at Kaskaskia, on the fourth of August, 1821. She was the daughter of Chauncey S. Burr. The home of the family was formerly at Farmington, Connecticut. Mr. Burr emigrated to Kaskaskia in the year 1817, having a short time previously married Permelia Yeomans. On coming to Kaskaskia, he kept a hotel there for five years, and then moved on a farm on Heacock Prairie, in St. Clair County, a mile north of the Randolph County line.
Directly after his marriage, Mr. Ralls moved on the place on Rall's Ridge, which has since been his home. For some years, in connection with his brother, James M., he was engaged in the management of a saw mill at the old town of Lafayette, on the Okaw river. Of late years his attention has been entirely occupied with farming. Four of the five children of Mr. and Mrs. Ralls are now living. Angeline, Permelia J., Mary Adeline, and Edward Chauncey. Angeline is now the wife of James D. Watson, who lives in the neighborhood; and Permelia, of Nehemiah J. Shepherd, now a resident of St. Louis.
Mr. Ralls' father, Edward Ralls, died October the nineteenth, 1851. His mother, Jane Hill, was deceased, April the third, 1864. His grandfather, Rawleigh Ralls, departed this life the sixth day of May, 1828; and his grandmother, Mary Hansbury, on the twenty-fourth day of November, 1836. The two latter are buried in the old grave-yard, in Monroe County, a short distance above the County line, where repose the remains of some of the pioneers of the neighborhood.
The Ralls family have always been Democratic in politics. In this respect, Mr. Ralls has followed the traditions of his ancestors. He voted for Van Buren in 1840, and has attended every important election since, always voting the Democratic ticket. Mr. Ralls is now one of the oldest residents in the neighborhood of Red Bud. He has lived on his present farm for thirty years, and in the immediate vicinity for several years over half a century. During this period, Mr. Ralls has been a citizen of high standing in the community, known as a man of generous impulses, and of honor and integrity. There is, probably, no prettier location in Randolph County than the farms on the Ridge, near the residence of Mr. Ralls. The soil is not surpassed in fertility, and a finer prospect seldom greets the eye than the view looking out toward the west of the Horse Prairie, with its rich fields and thickly clustered improvements, and a glimpse of Red Bud in the distance. A lovelier landscape is rarely presented in southern Illinois.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Nicholas Reitz
Reitz, Nicholas came to Red Bud IL from Bieber, Glnehausen, Ducky of Hessia, Germany via Baltimore in 1834. He returned to Germany in 1836 only to return to Red Bud with a wife, Elizabeth Geiger, in 1837. Elizabeth's mother and brother came with them. They established themselves in Round Prairie. In 1839 Nicholas brother, George, and his wife Maria Sensel came to Round Prairie. Nicholas b 15 Feb 1813 d 25 Dec 1892 Monticello KS. George, b 1811 d 1851. George and Elizabeth died about the same time. So Nicholas married Maria and put their two families together: many of the children having the same names. Nicholas and Elizabeth had the following children: Elizabeth, George, Johann Adam, Nicholas, Catherine and Rebecca. George and Maria had the following children: Nicholas, Adam, George, William and Phillip. [Submitted by Nancy Post]

Benjamin Richards
Mr. Richards has been a resident of Rockwood since the year 1856. He was born at Staffordshire, England, on the eighth of July, 1828. His parents were Samuel and Arabella Richards. His mother's maiden name was Price. In 1840 the family emigrated to America, and settled in New York State, where they lived ten years in Rockland County, on the Hudson River. Mr. Richards received the main part of his education at Haverstraw, on the Hudson, where he lived till he was twenty-two. After leaving school he worked at the employment of his father, who was foreman of the sheet-iron rolling department of the iron works at Haverstraw.
The family came to Illinois in the year 1850, and made their home in Jackson County. Here his parents died, his mother in 1866, and his father eight years later. Mr. Richards was here engaged in farming. In 1856, on the building of the mill at Rockwood, Mr. Richards moved to that place, having been elected secretary of the company owning the mill. Two or three years subsequently he was made superintendent, and assumed the entire management. On quitting his connection with the mill, which was done on its passing into other hands, Mr. Richards embarked in the mercantile business with Mr. W. H. Clendinen. This partnership is still maintained, and the firm carry on a large business, their stock embracing a full assortment of dry goods, groceries, queensware, drugs, agricultural implements, and everything apt to be called for in a farming community.
Mr. Richards was married September the fourteenth, 1858, to Margaret A. Clendinen, the daughter of John H. Clendinen. Eight of their nine children are living. Mr. Richards is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is a good citizen, and one of the best business men of Rockwood.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Dr. George Richardson
The only practicing physician in the neighborhood of Ellis Grove, in Randolph County, is Dr. George Richardson. He is an Englishman by birth. He first took up his residence in the County in the year 1858, and since then has been busily engaged with the duties of his profession.
Dr. Richardson is a native of Atherton, a small town of Warwickshire, England, where he was born on the twenty-fourth of June, 1835. He received his early education in the schools of his native town. His tastes included him naturally to the study of medicine, and he began his preparation for the profession under Dr. Richings, with whom he came to America in the year 1850. Both his parents had died at a period previous to this. George was then a lad of fifteen. Dr. Richings settled in Winnebago County, Illinois, ten miles from Rockford, and Dr. Richardson remained with him till 1858. During this time he diligently pursued his medical studies, and after amply fitting himself for the profession, he began practice with Dr. Richings, his preceptor. He attended the Rush Medical College in Chicago during the years 1856 and 1857.
Dr. Richardson was on the look-out for a field where he might successfully establish himself as a physician, and accordingly, in the year 1858, he came to Randolph County, and located a mile and a half south-east of Ellis Grove. Here he began practice, and soon succeeded in introducing himself to the favor of the community. He remained at first about three years, and then in 1861 re-visited England, from which he returned, however, in a few months. He again located in Randolph County, and resumed his practice. A second visit occurred in 1863. This time he was married. The ceremony was performed on the twenty-sixth of January, 1864, and the maiden name of his wife was Ann Brooker, of Chelsea, London.
On his return to America the spring following his marriage, he moved on a farm in the Point of the American Bottom below Kaskaskia, where he lived till the death of his wife, which transpired in the fall of the next year, 1865. Dr. Richardson then returned again to the vicinity of Ellis Grove, where he has since lived and been engaged in the active practice of medicine. He was married to his present wife on the twenty-eighth of February 1867. She was Mary, the daughter of John I. Lilly, who lives in the neighborhood of Ellis Grove. In the year 1869 the Doctor took up his residence in the village of Ellis Grove. At that time he built his present commodious and tasteful residence, one of the neatest in that section of country.
Here Dr. Richardson has built up a good practice, and established a valuable reputation as a physician of intelligence, ability, and skill. He has two children by his second wife, Annie E. and Clara V. He has always been inclined to the support of the political principles set forth by the Democratic party, and has acted with that organization since his residence in Randolph County.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Daniel Preston Roberts
The close of the last, or the opening of the present century, marks the date of the emigration of Wiliam [sic] Roberts to Illinois from Lexington, Kentucky. He was accompanied by his son, Thomas Roberts, who had not then reached his majority. William Roberts was the grandfather and Thomas Roberts the father of D. P. Roberts, the subject of this sketch. On making a permanent settlement, William and Thomas Roberts located near each other on the east side of the Kaskaskia river, and not far from the town.
William Roberts, the grandfather, opened a farm, and in addition to employing himself as a farmer he became a trader on the river, and was well known on the banks of the Mississippi from Kaskaskia to New Orleans. Thomas Roberts, the father, was also a farmer, and became a prominent citizen of the settlement. For many years he filled the office of Justice of the Peace. His name appears in the records as having been County Commissioner for several terms, and in various other ways he enjoyed the confidence of the people. He bore the distinguished honor of being a member of the convention which framed the first constitution for the State of Illinois. In the latter part of his life he was a devout Christian, and, contributed liberally of his means toward the support of the church.
His son, Daniel Preston Roberts, was born the thirtieth of November, 1816, near Kaskaskia. In this neighborhood he was brought up, and received his education, the most of which he obtained in the Catholic schools of Kaskaskia. When between twenty and twenty-one he left home and went to Wisconsin, and for ten months was there engaged as clerk in a store. On leaving Wisconsin he turned his attention to the wood business in Jackson County, but after he was here a year and a half his prospects were seriously injured by high water in the river, which everywhere created devastation along the Mississippi, and Mr. Roberts came back to Randolph County. Remaining a short time at home, for the period of a year he assumed the management of the ferry across the Okaw. About 1842 he began the study of law, and was admitted to the bar. After practicing, however, a short time at Kaskaskia, then the county seat, he quit the profession for quieter and more satisfactory pursuits.
At the breaking out of the Mexican war Mr. Roberts volunteered in a regiment formed at Perryville, Missouri. He was chosen Lieutenant of one of the companies. The regiment reached Fort Leavenworth, where it was disbanded, after being a short time in the service, on account of the impossibility of procuring provisions by reason of a low stage of the Missouri river. In the spring of 1853 Mr. Roberts received the appointment of Register in the land office at Kaskaskia. He held this position till the public lands were disposed of and the office removed to the capital of the State. Under Mr. Roberts' administration the books were closed up, and the accounts forwarded to the department at Washington.
The latter part of Mr. Roberts' life he has devoted himself exclusively to farming. He began this pursuit near Kaskaskia, and after occupying several locations bought the place he now owns in the year 1866. His farm, situated a mile and a half west of Ellis Grove, is composed of four hundred acres of land, lying in one body and extending down into the Okaw Bottom. The farm is finely situated, and highly productive. Mr. Roberts' residence occupies an elevated point of land, and commands an extensive view of the surrounding country. Mr. Roberts' first marriage took place in the year 1853, to Louisiana Fisher, who died in March, 1870. Mr. Roberts was married the second time in February, 1871, to Mrs. Maria Caudle, whose maiden name had been Ritchey.
His political convictions Mr. Roberts inherited from his ancestors. Both his father and grandfather were Democrats, prominent members of the party in their day, and Mr. Roberts has adhered to the same school of political belief. Personally, Mr. Roberts is a man of genial sympathies and enlightened views. The stranger is made welcome at his fireside, and he dispenses with a liberal hand an old-fashioned hospitality. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Hiram Roberts
Numbered among the old residents and thrifty farmers of Randolph County, living in the vicinity of Ellis Grove, is Hiram Roberts, whose farm lies just north of the town. He first came to the County in the year 1839, when fifteen years of age, and has since resided in the County with the exception of three years which were spent on the Pacific coast.
Mr. Roberts was born in Ohio, at Columbus, the capital of the State, on the twenty-first day of February, 1824. His father, James Roberts, was a native of New Jersey. He married Margaret Murphy in the city of New York, and soon after moved to Ohio, where he arrived about the year 1820. He was a wagon-maker by trade, and followed that occupation at Columbus. He had a family of eleven children, of whom Hiram was the fourth in the order of his birth. When Hiram was about five years old the family removed to Michigan, and lived there seven years. Here Mr. Roberts was first sent to school, and learned to read and write. The family subsequently removed to Tazewell County, Illinois, where his father followed his trade of a wagon-maker at Washington, a town in the northern part of the County.
In the year 1839 the Roberts family moved to Randolph County, and located in the neighborhood of Ellis Grove. Hiram was then about fifteen. He went to school at odd times and infrequent intervals on till near twenty. His father lived on a farm after coming to Randolph County, and Mr. Roberts was brought up on that. He lived at home until he was twenty-five years of age.
In 1849 the excitement consequent upon the discovery of gold in California spread through Illinois, and Mr. Roberts, in company with a large number of ambitious and adventurous young men in various sections of the State, set out to try their fortunes on the Pacific slope. In April, 1850, he started overland, and the party arrived in California the following August. The first work he did was at mining gold, at which he made fair wages, and kept it up for four or five months. The remainder of the time he was in California he was employed on a pack train, and traversed the greater part of what is now the upper part of the State of California and southern Oregon, a region which at that time had been but little visited by civilized man. Those early days of California history were marked by many adventures and hardships. The Indians on all sides surrounded the wild and rugged routes traveled by the pack trains, and a hundred dangers menaced the pioneers. Mr. Roberts was in Colonel (afterward General) Kearney's camp at the time he was attacked by the Rogue River Indians.
After a stay of two years in California Mr. Roberts concluded to return East. He left California in August, 1853, one of a party of thirteen. Seven were left behind at the South Pass of the Rocky Mountains, and the remaining six came on through to St. Jo. and St. Louis.
Soon after Mr. Roberts' return to Randolph County he bought the farm on which he now lives, at Ellis Grove, and where he has since been successfully engaged as a farmer. He was married on the twenty-fourth of May, 1855, to Margaret Wright. Mrs. Roberts was the daughter of Isaac Wright, who came to Randolph County in 1844. She was born in Grayson County, Virginia, in the year 1833. Four children have resulted from this marriage - Rachel, Eliza, Mary, and Hiram. His land lies all in one body, four hundred acres, just north of Ellis Grove. He was first a Whig, and then became a Republican on the formation of that party. Mr. Roberts is one of the well-to-do and prosperous members of the farming community of Randolph County. He has met with some misfortunes, but his general course has been one of prosperity and success, to which his own qualities as an enterprising and go-ahead farmer have contributed. His house burned down in October, 1872.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

William Robertson Jr (Deceased)
Among the old settlers of Township 4-5, none are more deserving of remembrance then the gentleman whose name heads this history. He took a prominent and an active part in the social and material development of his section of the County. He was a native of Scotland, grew up to manhood then, and inherited the firm, sterling, moral and intellectual qualities, characteristic of the Scotch as a people. When a young man, in company with William Craig, another early settler of this County, he left the land of his nativity and set sail for the United States. After stoping [sic] a short time in New York, he and his friend went to Canada, but not being favorably impressed with that Province they returned to the States, and came all the way from the East in a spring wagon, and landed in this County in 1835. Here Mr. Robertson hired out about two years to Mr. William Hayes, and turned the proceeds of his labor into the entry of 160 acres of land in Flat Prairie. A short time afterwards he married Jane, the daughter of John McMillan, also an old and highly respected citizen of Randolph County. This wife only lived a short time, and left behind her no living issue.
Mr. Robertson again married, Miss Margaret Legette, a native of Scotland, being the object of his choice. This marriage was celebrated October 4th, 1848. She is the daughter of William Legette by his wife, formerly Margaret Austin, both natives of Scotland. By this lady Mr. Robertson had three children, only one of whom is living, viz.: Robert L., now residing on the home farm, and having in his care the interests and happiness of his mother, now far advanced in life and one of the venerable ladies of the community.
Mr. Robertson died in Scotland, September 23d, 1872, in the 61st year of his life. For several years previous his health had been delicate, and he was induced to travel as a means of recuperation. Turning his attention to his old native home and country, he determined once more to visit its shores and gaze on the faces of old-time friends and relatives. He was taken seriously ill while crossing the ocean. He sank rapidly after reaching his destination, and spent his last hours at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Margaret Young. He left this world in full hope of the promised salvation in Christ, and his last moments were blessed with an assuring peace. He early connected himself with the Presbyterian Church, and always, in all circumstances lived a consistent Christian, and was at the time of his death as he had been many years before a member of a congregation of this order at Sparta. As a man, he was firm in his principles, as a husband faithful and affectionate, as a citizen upright, as a Christian devoted and as a member of society, rather quiet, though very sociable with his family and most intimate friends. He was liberal with his means, and always gave when in his judgment it was necessary or beneficial. He was opposed to all manner of speculations, and confined himself, as a means of support, entirely to the cultivation of the soil. He was prosperous, and though he did not make money very fast, he made it very surely, and year after year found him still in better circumstances, till at the time of his death he was rightly regarded as being wealthy. A slight addition has been made to the farm since his death, and it now embraces 405 acres, and is a choice piece of land and in good cultivation. It is well improved and is well stocked.
Mr. Robertson's father bore the Christian name of William. He also was a native of Scotland, where he lived and died, and where he raised a family of four sons and three daughters. Robert is a resident of this County. John yet resides in Scotland, and James when last heard of, was in Australia. Janette and Elizabeth both died in their native country, the former, the wife of Jno. Anderson and the latter the wife of James Grey.
We notice that young Mr. Robertson, son of the subject of this sketch, is bringing his lands up in all points into a first-class stock farm. We notice here a fine flock of Merino Sheep and some nice thorough bred short horns. He is Vice-President of the Wool Growers' Association for the 18th District, has been making partly on his own account and partly to establish precedent experiments with fine breeds of sheep. So far he has realized profits beyond his expectations, on all his investments in this line, which goes to show, that in this industry, yet pretty much untried in Randolph County, the people may yet realize a very profitable business.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

John Roscow
Mr. Roscow is of English birth. He was born near Preston, in Lancashire, England, on the twenty-ninth of July, 1837, the son of James Roscow, by his wife Maria, whose family name was Palmer. In 1810, when John was three years old, the family emigrated to America. After a short residence in St. Louis, they located on Prairie du Round, in Monroe County. Here John resided till he was thirteen, and here also he began his education.  His father then moved with the family to Randolph County, and located a mile south of the present town of Red Bud. The village had been started only a short time previous. Mr. Roscow went to school in an old log schoolhouse which stood west of the infant town, and in which many of the men now prominent in this section of the country received their education. The building was a low log structure. One log had been left out to form an aperture for the admission of light, and a huge fire-place occupied one entire end of the building. When about sixteen or seventeen, Mr. Roscow had better advantages at the College of the Christian Brothers in St. Louis, which he attended for two sessions. When home he partly managed the farm, while his father was busy in his occupation of stone-mason. At about the age of eighteen, he thought of learning a trade, and worked for three months at the milling business. He, however, concluded that on the whole, he would like farming best, to which accordingly he has mainly devoted his attention.
He was married on the fourteenth of February, 1859, to Mary Ann Mudd, the daughter of Edward Mudd, an old resident of Randolph County. Mr. Roscow then bought eighty acres of timber a mile south of Ruma, cleared it, and began farming for himself. After living here about six years, he moved on the farm where the family had first settled on coming to Randolph County, and farmed it jointly with his brother. The land was afterward divided between the brothers, and in 1869 Mr. Roscow sold his share. About this time Mr. Roscow carried on the business of a stone-mason with his father, and with a partner contracted for the construction of buildings. They macadamized the streets now meeting at the square in Red Bud, and took an active part in putting through other public improvements. In the winter of 1869-70 Mr. Roscow was a salesman in a store at Red Bud. The spring of 1870, he bought and moved on his present farm. One hundred and twenty acres (of the one hundred and seventy which he owns), are under cultivation. Elsewhere is represented a lithographic view of his residence.
In his religious belief, Mr. Roscow is an earnest Catholic. While living near Ruma, he was active in securing the establishment of the College of the Sacred Heart, near St. Patrick's Church, southwest of Ruma. He was one of the advocates of the founding of the school, and of the erection of the buildings by the people of that locality, foreseeing that such an institution must be of great advantage to the community at large. Mr. Roscow was a member of the first building committee, and for two years occupied that position, during which he personally superintended the construction of part of the edifice now used by the College. He saw the school established on a firm basis. [Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Isaac Rust
Mr. Rust is one of the few remaining first settlers of this County, and of the soldiers of our last war with Great Britain, commonly known in history as that of 1812. He was born in Lincoln County, Me., November 9th, 1795. He was only about seventeen when he entered the United States service, and served in guarding the coasts, to prevent the enemy from effecting a landing. After the close of the war, he "shipped," and spent several years on the high seas, and by his efficiency rose to the position of first mate on a merchantman. In 1819 he left the sea at New Orleans, and came all the way up the Mississippi on a barge, to this County; a trip which consumed about three months. He remained here till 1824, and then, yielding to his old love of the sea, he spent some two years more on the "briny deep." He then returned to this County and settled at Kaskaskia, where he lived till 1836, at which time he moved to where he now lives, near Chester.
In 1826, March 16th, he was joined in marriage to Miss Annis D. Cochran. He spent many happy years with this wife, who was finally smitten with palsy, of which she died in 1866, after a lingering sickness of six years. They had eleven children in all, of whom there were raised six daughters and two sons, viz.: George S., Mrs. Rebecca (Lemuel) Brown, Mrs. Cordelia (Samuel) Taylor, Mrs. Sarah (David J.) Pinkerton, Samuel B., Mrs. Ellen (Nicholas) Beare, Mrs. Eliza (Alex.) Lehhead, and Mrs. Emma (Henry) Gousman. All are now dead, with the exception of Sarah and Eliza.
On account of his known integrity, on the organization of his Township (7-6), in 1829, Mr. Rust was elected to the office of School Treasurer, a position he has since continued to hold. Indeed, it is thought that while father Rust lives, that it is not proper that any one else should hold this office, in which he has been an incumbent beyond the memory of the present generation.
In his community he is looked up to as a kind of go-between among neighbors for the settlement of troubles, and as an arbiter of disputes. In his politics he is a Republican, and a strong believer in the doctrine of the freedom and equality of all men before the civil law.
Since the death of his beloved wife, Mr. Rust has continued in his widowed state, remaining true to his first love. His companion, most of his children, and the greater portion of his early associates and old friends, have already gone down to the tomb, and in his case, the beautiful lines: "The mossy marbles rest On the lips he oft' has prest In their bloom; And the names he loved to hear, Have been carved for many a year, On the tomb," are most appropriate. He has been very prosperous in business, and yet lives on the old home place, superintending his large property. In addition to his own family, he has brought up several orphaned children, giving them home, education, and the fatherly love of one whose filial affection has often been touched by the domestic affliction experienced around his own hearth-stone.
From the fact that his parents died when he was quite young, Mr. Rust cannot give full particulars concerning his ancestry. His father's name was Simeon, and his mother was formerly Jane Huston. They both died in Maine, after which the subject of this sketch, the youngest of the family, was taken and raised by an uncle, John Huston.[Source: "An Illustrated Historical Map of Randolph County, Ills."; by John R. Williams, pub. by W. R. Brink & Co.; 1875; tr. by GT Transcription Team]
 




BACK -- HOME

Genealogy Trails History Group

Copyright ©Genealogy Trails