Judge R. S. CANBY -- was born in Green County Ohio, September 30, 1808, and is the son of Joseph and Lydia (PEDRICK) CANBY, the former a native of Loudoun County, Va., and born in May, 1781, and a prominent physician, who died in Logan County, Ohio, in Febuary, 1843. His wife was a native of New Jersey, born in 1787, and died in Lebanon, Ohio. Our subject received a larger part of his education at Oxford, Butler County, Ohio. In 1829 he engaged in the mercantile business at Bellefontaine, Ohio, and while thus engaged, read law with Mr. B. STANTON. In 1840, he began the practice of law; in 1846, he was elected from the Twelfth Congressional District of Ohio as a member of Congress. After filling this honorable position, he moved on 1,000 acres, and engaged in farming a number of years. He afterward removed to Bellefontaine, to educate his children. In March, 1863, he moved to Olney, Il, where he again resumed law. June 1867, he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court, which office he creditably filled for six years, after which resumed law, which he continued until 1882, since which time he has lived retired. March 16, 1835, he married Eliza SIMPSON, of Chillicothe, Ohio; she died in January 1867. Judge CANBY was a Whig, before the organization of Republican party, since which time he has been a Republican. He is highly esteemed, and a most worthy citizen, and is a member of the Swedenborg Church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HON. RICHARD SPRIGG CANBY, an eminent jurist of Illinois, now resides in Olney, and was one of the prominent and leading members of the Richland County Bar. He was born on his grandfather's farm in Greene County, Ohio, on the 30th of September, 1808, and is descended from one of the oldest Quaker families of Pennsylvania. Thomas Canby, the common ancestor of all the Canbys in America, came from England to America with William Penn in 1683, and settled in Philadelphia. He obtained a tract of land from William Penn, and the deed of record shows the consideration to have been persecution endured for conscience' sake. Thomas Canby had been imprisoned in England on account of his religious views, he being a Quaker, and had been released under the reign of James H., but a short time before he came to America. He built a mill on his purchase and erected a dwelling. It is said that the old mill-house is still standing. Thomas Canby, who was twice married and had seventeen children, was born in the town of Thorn, Yorkshire, England, in 1666. The name is now extinct in England but is said to exist in France, where tradition states that the family originated and that some members were driven to England in a remote period by religious persecution.
Our subject traces his genealogy from Thomas Canby as follows: Thomas Canby had a son Benjamin, who lived and died in the original settlement in Pennsylvania. He had a son Samuel, whose son Joseph was born in Loudoun County, Va., in 1781, and married Lydia Pedrick in the Quaker meeting-house in January, 1807, after the peculiar marriage ceremony of the Society of Friends. He died in Logan County, Ohio, in February, 1843. His wife was born in New Jersey in 1787, and died in Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio, in August, 1816. Four children were born unto Joseph and Lydia Canby, two sons and two daughters. Anna married Mr. Kitchen; Hannah became the wife of John Evans, Governor of Colorado; Samuel died in infancy; and Richard Sprigg completes the family.
The last-named is the subject of this sketch. He passed his childhood and youth on the farm and was educated partly in Oxford, Butler County, Ohio. On the 16th of March, 1835, he was married in Bellefontaine, Logan County, Ohio, to Miss Eliza, a daughter of Oliver Simpson. The lady was a native of Ross County. Ten children were born of the union of our subject and his wife. Elizabeth, born in 1836, married Homer G. Platz and died leaving one daughter, who married and is the mother of two sons. Lydia Ann, born in 1837, is the wife of T. W. Hutchinson, a lawyer of Olney, Ill. Oliver S. and Joseph died after attaining to manhood. Samuel died in infancy. Samuel, the second of that name, married Miss Martha Bates and is a practicing physician of Bonpas Township, Richland County. They have four children living and four deceased. One of their daughters is married and has three children. Cornelia is the wife of Dr. E. Boyles, of Clay City, Clay County. Richard S., Jr., is deceased. Benjamin is married and is City Judge of East St. Louis, serving his second term in that position. Eliza died in infancy.
In 1829 Mr. Canby embarked in mercantile business in Bellefontaine, Ohio, and while thus engaged read law with B. Stanton, of that place. In 1840 he began the practice of law and in 1845 was elected to the State Legislature. The following year he was elected to Congress from the Twelfth Ohio District, where he served as Representative with credit to himself and his constituents. When his term was over he removed to a tract of land of one thousand acres, and for a number of years engaged in farming. Subsequently, he removed to Bellefontaine in order to provide his children with better educational advantages, and there resided until March, 1863, when he removed to Olney, Ill., where he resumed the practice of his profession. In June, 1867, he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court and served on the bench for six years with distinction. He then resumed the practice of law, from which he retired in 1882, at the age of seventy-four years. Almost from the time he entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, Mr. Canby was recognized as a lawyer of much merit, possessing more than ordinary ability. He won an enviable reputation and was elected to a number of positions of honor and trust, in which he discharged his duties with a promptness and fidelity that won him high commendation.
In 1867 Judge Canby was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died in Olney on the 14th of January of that year. In political sentiment in early life the Judge was a Whig but joined the Republican party on its organization in 1854, and since that time until recent years he has been an active and earnest supporter of that party.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.265 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
Dr. S.S. CANBY -- was born June 27, 1848, in Logan County, Ohio. At the age of fourteen years he moved with his parents to Kansas, where he attended school until the spring of 1863, when he came to Olney, Il and commenced the study of medicine , with Drs. FRENCH and LEMEN, continuing one year. In 1869 he began practicing his profession in Louisiana, going to Clay County, Il, the following year, and continuing to practice medicine. In 1876, he went to St. Louis, and attended the Missouri Medical College, graduating from that institution in 1878. He is the father of three bright children. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
James N. CHAILLE- is a native of Kentucky, was born in 1827, and is a son of John and Jane CHAILLE. John CHAILLE was a native of Maryland, and is a shoemaker by occupation, who emigrated to Kentucky with his family, and there resided til 1831, when they removed to Indiana, and there ended their lives. James N. is the youngest of the seven children comprising his father's family, was reared on the home farm, and received some education from the common schools. In January, 1849, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Thomas STRBLING, of Jefferson County, Ind, who died in 1880, leaving four children--Uriah, Jessie, John, and Jennie. His second wife was Miss Jennie STOTT, by which marriage he is the father of one child, Bertha E. The first land owned by our subject was 340 acres in Tennessee, which he occupied in 1852, and for three years thereafter. His next purchase was forty, and then 120 acres in Indiana; later he purchased 156 acres in Bartholomew County, Ind, on which he lived twelve years; this he likewise sold, and finally purchased his present farm, in 1880, comprising 320 acres of prairie land, which is under a good condition of cultivation and improvement, making a desirable property and comfortable home. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Alvin Clem -- of the firm A&J Clem, tile manufacturers, was born August 15, 1849, in Delaware County, Ind, and is the son of Joel and Magdaline (KESSLER) CLEM. His father was born in Pennsylvania, reared in Ohio, and he worked at the millwright and other kinds of business. In 1853 the family removed to Richland County, settled on what was known as the HARMON Farm; there the father died, in 1858, aged fifty-four years; the mother died in 1877, aged sixty-four years. Alvin owns forty acres in Section 9, where he now resides, which is improved, with a very comfortable house, barn, and other outbuildings. He, with his brother Josiah, commenced the manufacture of tile, in 1883. He was married in 1870, to Catherine FEUTZ, who was born in Germany. Josiah owns sixty acres where this factory is located. He was married in 1868, to Alice BANKES, of Vermont. They have two children, one son and one daughter.[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
ALVIN CLEM, one of the honored pioneers and representative citizens of Richland County, residing on section 9, Olney Township, claims Indiana as the State of his birth, which occurred on the 15th of August, 1839, in Delaware County. His parents are Joel and Magdaline (Kesler) Clem. The father was born in Virginia, November 7, 1806, and during his youth he worked on the farm and at the carpenter's trade alternately until he had attained to man's estate, when he bade good-bye to his old home and went to Ohio. He was there married, and remained for about ten years, when he removed to Delaware County, Ind. Purchasing a farm, he engaged in its cultivation until 1853, which year witnessed his arrival in Richland County. Here he bought a farm, upon which he resided until his death, which occurred March 20, 1858. His wife, who was born in Ohio October 11, 1811, died on the 11th of March, 1876, in this county. Both parents were of German extraction.
Our subject is the fourth child in a family numbering four sons and five daughters. No event of special importance occurred during his youth, which was quietly passed on his father's farm. On the 14th of August, 1860, he was married to Miss Catherine Feutz, a native of Switzerland, born February 9, 1840. Her parents, William and Catherine (Lanner) Feutz, emigrated to America, and coming direct to this county, located on a farm, where the former is still living, at the age of seventy-eight years. The wife and mother was called from the shores of time October 22, 1855, leaving many warm friends to mourn her loss.
Since coming to this County, Mr. Clem has devoted his time and attention to agricultural pursuits, and his well-directed efforts and enterprise and good management have brought him a comfortable competence, which is certainly well deserved. He now owns and operates forty acres of good land, which adjoins the corporation limits of the city of Olney, and his farm is one of the best improved in the locality. The place is very desirably located, for he has all the comforts of farm life, and those of city life are easily attainable. His home is a beautiful residence, and stands as a monument to the thrift and enterprise of the owner.
About 1883 Mr. Clem commenced the manufacture of tile, which was the first industry of the kind established in Richland County, and continued this business until the fall of 1889. He was one of the original incorporators of the Olney Brick and Tile Company, and is still one of its stockholders. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and worked at it for several years, assisting in building a number of residences in Olney, and he still devotes some of his time to this business.
Mr. Clem is a member of the Free Methodist Church, and his wife holds membership with the Evangelical Church. They are highly respected citizens, widely and favorably known. Mr. Clem has served as School Director in his district for several years. He is a warm advocate of temperance principles, and embodies his views on that question in the ballot which he deposits for the Prohibition party. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.292 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
Dr. S.A. CLUTTER -- physician and surgeon, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., March 1, 1847. When he was seven years old his parents emigrated to Greencastle,Ind, where he received the major part of his education. In 1863, said parents removed to Indianapolis, where he attended school six months before he entered the store of J.E. MARROTT, 233 East Washington Street, as salesman. In this engagement he was active and successful, and after one year and a half the proprietor offered him an interest in his business, his salary being $75 a month. Our subject, however, demanded something more permanent, and read medicine with his brother, Dr. W.H. CLUTTER, Surgeon of the Sixty-Fourth United States Volunteer Infantry. Subsequently he attended the Rush Medical College of Chicago, in 1866-67, and completed his professional course at the Missouri College, Saint Louis. Dr. CLUTTER, on June 20, 1869, married Christina, eldest daughter of Dr. H.M. SANDERSON, and is a native of this township, to which union were vouchsafed three daughters--Flora M., Mollie H., and Jessie. Dr. CLUTTER served several terms as a member of the Town Council and as Health Officer; he was also a member of the Board of Supervisors of this county, and is a member of the Noble Lodge, No. 482,I.O.O.F. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
CPT John S. COCHENNOUR, district agent and adjuster of Rockford Insurance Company, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, December 7, 1840, and is the oldest of seven children born to Daniel and Harriet A. (SMALLEY) COCHENNOUR, natives of Pennsylvania and Ashland County, Ohio, and of Germany and Scotch descent. Daniel had a fair education in his native state, being a schoolmate of Thad STEVENS. he learned the tailors' trade. In 1841 he moved to what is now Bonpas Township, in this county, and famred and worked at his trade for a number of years. He afterward moved to Claremont, and followed the mercantile and stock raising trades until his death in 1876. He was in the communion of the Catholic Church until some years before death, when he united with the Methodist Episcopal denomination. The education of John S. was limited to the log schoolhouse of Illinois, and he assisted upon the home farm until April 14, 1861, when he entered the United States Army, enrolling in Company I, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served three months, engaging in one battle, Charleston, Mo. He re-enlisted on December 24, 1861, in Company H, Sixtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until February 17, 1865, when he was discharged at Cincinnati on account of a wound received at Jonesborough, on the Georgian campaign, and from which he lost his left leg. He rose to the rank of Captain, passing through most of the intermediate grades. He was made Captain in the latter part of 1863. On his return from the army he was immediately made Collector of Olney, receiving all the votes but eleven. He served one year, and has since been employed in various trading pursuits. For the past two years Capt. COCHENNOUR has been employed as district and adjusting agent for the Rockford Insurance Company. In 1874 he, with an assistant, captured and imprisoned a gang of seven of the worst desperadoes that ever infested southern Illinois. Our Captain was married, in March, 1864, to Caroline C., a daughter of Sylvester and Elizabeth UTTERBACK, of this place. One son and a daughter bless this marriage. He belongs to the I.O.O.F. and the G.A.R. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
B.F. COMBS, master carpenter for the O & M. Railway, was born September 9, 1849, in German Township, Richland County. At about the age of thirteen he commenced to learn the carpenters' trade with his father, who had been carrying on this business. In about 1870, he secured employed with the O & M Railway, and for the past six years has been foreman of the pile-driver and construction gang. He was married September 12, 1880, to Eliza, daughter of Elbert SANDS. She was born in Lawrence County, Ill. Her parents removed to New York City when she was about three years old, and there she was reared and received a collegiate education. This marriage is blessed with one daughter. Mr. COMBS enlisted, in 1864, in Company H, One Hundred and Thirty-Sixth Illinois Infantry, as drummer, and served his term of enlistment -- one hundred days. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Elizabeth COMBS -- is the widow of Abner R. COMBS. He was born April 2, 1810, in Clermont County, Ohio, and the learned the boot and shoe trade. This he followed winters, carrying on the brick-making business during summers, which he continued to do, to his marriage which occured August 8, 1841, to Elizabeth SMYZER, of Clermont County, Ohio. She was born August 12, 1817. They had ten children, four of whom are living, four of these children died in infancy. John W. died April 15, 1867, in his twenty second year; Malissa A. died February 23, 1879, aged thirty-one years; and their surviving children are: Mary J., Alex Jackson, Percival P., and Elma. Mr. COMBS still continued his business till 1865, when he came to Preston Township, bought two farms of about 400 acres, and made extensive improvements, consisting in part of a very comfortable two-story house, which cost about $2,000; a barn, costing $1,000; and a granary, costing $400, making this one of the finest farms in this locality. He died October 26, 1882, in his seventy-third year, and respected by all. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
William R. COMBS -- was born April 5, 1826, in Philadelphia. In 1831, his parents removed to what is now Vinton County, Ohio, there he was reared on his father's farm. In the fall of 1841 they came to Richland County, and settled in Preston Township. In 1855 his father removed to Missouri, where he died at the age of eighty-one. The subject of this sketch, in 1847, bought fifty-six acres in German Township; this he improved, and afterwards sold. January 6, 1855, he returned to Olney, with the exception of spending four years in north Missouri, has resided here ever since. Mr. COMBS has been eight years Constable and Deputy Sheriff. He enlisted, May 14, 1864, in Company G, One-Hundred and Thirty-Six Illinois Infantry, and served his term of enlistment one hundred days. He was married, November 23, 1848, to Sarah M. CHANEY, who was born September 8, 1829, in Olney Township, Richland Co., Il. They had nine children, five of whom are living; Benjamin F., William I., Cynthia E. (wife of Theo COTCHELLl, of Mercer Co. Missouri), Charles L., and Emma L., (now attending school). They are members of the Baptist Church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Abram COTTERELL -- was born July 31, 1834, in Hart County, Ky, and when an infant his parents took him to now Richland County, and settled in German Township, where he was raised. He enlisted in July, 1861, in Company E, Eleventh Missouri Infantry and served his enlistment of three years. He participated in all the battles in Mississippi, Tennessee, Red River-in all numbering sixteen. Our subject was married in 1864 to Sophia BECKWITH, of Crawford County. She died June 16, 1872, aged forty-one. They had four childen-Asa, Aden, Etta, and Ella. Mr. COTTERELL, was next married to Mrs. C. BRYAN, in the fall of 1872. She was born in 1833 in Canada. They have one son-Omer L., and Mrs. COTTERELL has one daughter by her former marriage. On Mr. COTTERELL's return from the Army, he lived on his father-in-law's farm two years, but he now owns a farm of 320 acres, which is improved with the best house in the township. The house cost about $2000.00. Mr. COTTERELL was Township Collector in 1860. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
WILLIAM E. COLVIN, farmer, was born October 8, 1848, in Highland County, Ohio, and was the son of Peter Colvin, also a native of Ohio, and in 1854 the family came to Richland County and bought Thomas Gardner's farm, which is the oldest settled of any farm in that locality. On this place William E. was reared, and at the age of twenty two he married Lydia J. Jackson. She was born in 1857, in Clinton County, Ohio. Four sons bless this union. Soon after marriage, Mr. Colvin bought a farm of forty acres in Section 18. He afterwards traded farms, and in 1881 removed to his present farm, consisting of eighty acres, and improved with a very comfortable house, good barn and other improvements. In 1879 he was elected Commissioner of Highways, and still holds this office. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
WILLIAM EDWARD COLVIN, who is engaged in general farming on section 7, Claremont Township, has a wide acquaintance in Olney and Richland County, having made his home in this locality for almost forty years. He has therefore witnessed much of its growth and development and has helped to make the county what it is to-day, one of the best in southern Illinois. He takes a commendable interest in its progress and advancement and is recognized as one of the best citizens of the community.
A native of Ohio, our subject was born in Highland County, October 8, 1848, and is a son of Peter and Abigail (Davidson) Colvin. His parents were also natives of Highland County, the former born in 1811, and the latter in 1814. The father there cleared and opened up a farm, to the improvement of which he devoted his energies until the fall of 1854, when he removed to the West. Coming to Richland County, Ill., he cast in his lot with the early settlers of Claremont Township, and there bought an improved farm, known as the Thomas Gardner place. For a number of years he was extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits. The last years of his life were passed on the old homestead, where he died in September, 1883, respected by all who knew him. He was a very successful farmer and at his death owned a place of over two hundred acres of land, well improved with a neat and substantial residence and all other necessary buildings and accessories. The mother of our subject died about six years previous to the death of her husband, and they were interred side by side in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, where a marble stone marks the last resting-place of the worthy couple. In the Colvin family were four sons and five daughters who grew to mature years, while two sons and three daughters are yet living at this writing, in the spring of 1893. James is operating the old homestead farm; Mary Ellen is the deceased wife of Thomas Leaf; Catherine N. died at the age of eighteen; Perry died at the age of seventeen; Edward, of this sketch, is the next younger; Nancy is the wife of Peter Van Meter, a resident of Oregon; Elizabeth is the wife of James Pittzer, who is living in South Bend, Ind.; Henry died in 1892, at the age of thirty -seven; and Amanda is the wife of Otis Colvin, of Nebraska.
The subject of this record was a lad of only six years when with his parents he came to Richland County, where the remainder of his life has been spent. During his youth he attended the common schools of the neighborhood during the winter season, while in the summer months he aided in the labors of the farm. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, and on leaving home was married, on the 7th of December, 1871, to Miss Lydia J. Jackson, a native of Highland County, Ohio. She remained in the Buckeye State until a maiden of fifteen summers and then came to Richland County with her father, Jacob Jackson, who settled in Madison Township, where he is still living. Mrs. Colvin was educated in the common schools of Highland County, Ohio, and in the Olney High School, and for a time previous to her marriage successfully engaged in teaching.
Mr. Colvin purchased a small farm of forty acres of land, partially improved, and began its further development, but after a year he sold that and bought other property. He has owned five different farms in this county. In September, 1891, he purchased one hundred acres of land on section 7, Claremont Township, his present farm, and has since made his home thereon. The substantial residence, good barns and other outbuildings are not the only improvements. There is a good orchard, the latest improved machinery and well tilled fields, which yield to the owner a golden tribute in return for his care and cultivation. The place is pleasantly located three and a-half miles east of the Olney Court House, and is a valuable and desirable farm. Mr. Colvin has also engaged in buying and shipping stock for the last fifteen years, and now carries on the business extensively. He is also an auctioneer and has successfully conducted many sales in twelve years in Richland and adjoining counties. By the union of Mr. and Mrs. Colvin have been born five children: W. K., a successful teacher and farmer residing in Richland County; Hamer E., Peter, Pearly L. and Carl, who are still under the parental roof. They also lost one daughter in infancy. The parents are faithful and consistent members of the Carleton Christian Church, in which Mr. Colvin holds office. He also belongs to the Order of United Workmen and Modern Woodmen. In politics, he was formerly identified with the Democratic party, but now supports the People's party. He has never been an aspirant for political preferment, yet was elected and served as Commissioner of Highways for five consecutive years. The faithfull and prompt manner in which he discharged his duties led to his election again and again. The same fidelity and earnestness have characterized the discharge of every public trust reposed in him and have won him the esteem of all. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.434 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
ELIJAH CONNER, general merchant, was born November 12, 1824, in Spencer County, Ind., and when quite small lost his father. In 1881 the family emigrated to Illinois and located in what was then Lawrence County. There he was reared. Since then, he has lived within four miles of this locality, and is one of the oldest settlers of the county. In 1844 he was married to Jane Utterback, a native of Kentucky. They have four children, one son and three daughters. In 1856 he was elected Constable, and attended the first and second courts held in Richland County. Soon after, he moved to Claremont, and opened a general store. This he continued till 1862, when he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Infantry, and was promoted to Second Lieutenant. This commission he held till the close of the war. He then returned to Claremont, and has since been engaged at merchandising. Mr. Conner holds the office of Justice of the Peace, having been elected in April, 1867. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
SILAS CLOUD - farmer and school teacher, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, on January 7, 1833, is the son of Henry and Anna (Laymon) Cloud, is next to the youngest of seven children, and is of English-German lineage. Silas' parents were born in the Buckeye State, and lived and died in Clinton County, in that State. Henry Cloud died when our subject was about two years of age, and his wife was left in meagre circumstances with her large family; but Silas remained at home and helped support the family until he had attained his majority. His education was very limited in youth. After he had reached his twenty-first year he attended school about three years, two of which he spent at the South-Western Ohio State Normal School, and after finishing here, he began teaching. Mr. Cloud's first school was taught near Fayetteville, Ohio. In all he has spent 28 years in school teaching. His marriage took place in 1861, to Mary E. Montgomery, a native of Ohio. To this union there have been born six children - Ida, J.L., William H., Albert, Thomas W. and Wylie L. Of these children four, are deceased. In 1864, Mr. Cloud came to Richland County, Ill., and settled in Denver Township, and in 1875 he came to the place where he now resides. He is a radical Republican, cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont, and is a member of the I.O.O.F. Mr. and Mrs. Cloud are members of the Methodist Ep[iscopal Church. He advocates all public interests, and has been one of the most successful school teachers of his time. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]ORREN M. CHAUNCY, the leading tonsorial artist of Olney, is a native of Richland County, Ill., his birth having occurred in October, 1857. His father is David W. Chauncy, who was also born in Richland County, the grandfather of our subject being one of the honored pioneers of this locality. At a very early day he located about two miles east of the present court house, on the old State Road. He was called to his final rest a number of years since, but the grandmother still lives on the old homestead and has attained to the age of more than four-score years.
JOHN CAMP, one of the public-spirited citizens of Richmond County, resides on section 2, Bonpas Township, where he owns and operates one hundred acres of valuable land, of which nearly the entire amount is under a high state of cultivation. His life record is as follows: He was born near Albion, Edwards County, Ill., May 14, 1829, and is a son of Charles H. and Rebecca (Slover) Camp. His father was born near Richmond, Va., and was a son of Benjamin Camp. The great-grandfather of our subject was William Camp, and his father, Joseph Camp, was a native of Holland, whence he emigrated to America with three of his brothers early in the eighteenth century. They first located in the State of New York, from which State they removed to Virginia. Benjamin Camp, the grandfather of our subject, enlisted in the Colonial army, and aided the Colonies in their struggle for independence.
When a young man Charles Camp removed to Indiana, locating near Boonville, where he met and married Rebecca, daughter of Abram and Mary (White) Slover, who are supposed to have been of German descent. She was born in East Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Camp came to Illinois in 1829, and after a short time spent in Edwards and Coles Counties, they returned to Linnville, Ind., where the father of our subject spent his last days. He was a shoemaker by trade, and also taught school for many years. His death occurred in February, 1842, after which Mrs. Camp came with her son John to Rich land County, where she died in December, 1875.
Under the parental roof our subject was reared to manhood. He remained in the State of his nativity until fifteen years of age. His educational privileges were very limited, but by reading, experience and observation, he has gained a fund of general information. He now has a carefully selected library, and is a well-read and intelligent citizen. In 1844 he went with his mother and her four younger children to Wabash County, Ill., where he began life for himself as a farm hand. At the age of twenty-two he was enabled to buy a team and rent a farm. In 1855 he came to Richland County and bought a part of his present farm, of which fifteen acres had been cleared.
On the 4th of April of that year, Mr. Camp married Mrs. Ruth McMillan, widow of Archibald McMillan, of Richland County. She died December 25, 1878, and on the 18th of February, 1882, he married Mrs. Julia B. Humbert, of Bonpas Township. Mr. and Mrs. Camp are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been an Elder for ten years, and they are ranked among the highly respected citizens of this community.
Since his first marriage, Mr. Camp has devoted himself assiduously, to farming, and his broad fields are now under a high state of cultivation. He also gives considerable attention to the breeding of thorough-bred Poland-China hogs. Besides these business interests, he has for several years past represented the Phoenix Insurance Company. Mr. Camp cast his first Presidential vote for Franklin Pierce, but when Ft. Sumter was fired upon, he joined the Republican party, and has since been one of its supporters. For twenty years past he has served as Notary Public. He has also been Supervisor and held other public offices, discharging his duties with promptness and fidelity. Socially, he is a member of the Odd Fellows' society of Sumner.
Although not blessed with any children of his own, Mr. Camp has reared six adopted children, namely: Eunice French, now of Lawrence County, Ill.; Sarah Freeman, now Mrs. Witteman, of Bonpas Township; George McDole, a business man of Orleans, Neb.; Emma S. Brown, now Mrs. M. Burkett, of Friendsville, Wabash County, Ill.; Genida Pellem, deceased; and Rosa and Anthony Tesh. His home has always been known as the "Orphan Asylum." No one has ever been allowed to leave his door poor or hungry. The poor and needy have found in him a true friend, and out of the kindness of his heart he has furnished shelter to the homeless little ones. His life work has been a blessed one and his practical Christianity has not only won him the regard of the multitude, but will find recognition in the home beyond. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.419 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
After arriving at man's estate, David Chauncy married Rossettie Barney, a daughter of Abiel Barney, one of the pioneers of Richland County. The father of our subject was a soldier of the late war, faithfully defending the Old Flag as a member of the Eighth Regiment of Illinois Volunteers. He also had three brothers in the service. In 1866, when Orren was a lad of about nine years of age, the family removed to Champaign County, Ill., and the parents now reside in Penfield, this State. In the Chauncy family were six children who grew to mature years, three sons and three daughters. The only brother of our subject now living, Alvin D. Chauncy, resides in Olney. The parents also lost one son, the eldest of the family, named Oliver Abiel.
We now take up the personal history of Mr. Chauncy whose name heads this record. He was reared to manhood under the parental roof and learned the trade of barber in Rantoul, Ill. He worked at various points before establishing a shop of his own, but at length embarked in business for himself. He now occupies the corner room of the Fritchie Block, opposite the First National Bank. His quarters are finely furnished, his furniture being of the latest approved pattern. He also has suitable bathrooms in connection with his business. He is a superior workman and commands a liberal patronage, which he well deserves. Mrs. Chauncy was formerly Miss Mary E. Bryan. By the union of this worthy couple have been born four children, three sons and a daughter, namely: Jesse, Harry, Nellie and Oliver. The parents are both members of the Presbyterian Church and take an active interest in its growth and upbuilding. In politics, Mr. Chauncy is a Republican.
Our subject has the respect and esteem of the best citizens of the community for the decided stand he has taken on the side of temperance and his opposition to the sale of intoxicants. This course is doubly commendable on the part of Mr. Chauncy, as he formerly possessed the habit of drink, but, well aware of its injurious effects from practical experience, he now devotes his earnest efforts to the suppression of the great evil. He lives an upright, honorable life and well deserves representation in the history of his native county. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.565 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
JAMES COLVIN, who owns and operates eighty acres of land on section 19, Claremont Township, Richland County, was born on the 1st of January, 1841, in Highland County, Ohio, and conies of an old family of German origin, which was founded in America by the great-grandfather of our subject, who became one of the pioneer settlers of the Keystone State. The grandfather, James Colvin, was born in Pennsylvania, and in an early day emigrated Westward to Highland County, Ohio, where he reared his family. Peter Colvin, the father of our subject, was there born and reared, and followed farming until 1854, when he joined a colony consisting of a number of families who came with teams to Illinois, four of the families locating in Richland County. This was in October, 1854. He purchased the farm on which our subject now resides, comprising two hundred and seventy-eight acres of land, and made many excellent improvements upon the place, transforming it into one of the best farms of the locality. His death occurred September 16, 1833, and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Abigail Davidson, and was a native of Highland County, Ohio, died in April, 1877. The children of this worthy couple are as follows: Mary E., deceased, wife of Thomas Leaf; John Perry, who died in 1858; Catherine Ann, deceased; Nancy D., wife of Peter Van Meter; Elizabeth, wife of James Pittzer, of South Bend, Ind.; William E., whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work; Amanda V., wife of O. T. Colvin, of Nebraska; and Albert Henry, who died April 8, 1892, leaving a wife and four children.
The first thirteen years of his life James Colvin spent in the county of his birth, and then came with the family to Richland County. He was reared amid the wild scenes of the frontier and inured to the hardships and privations of pioneer life. After the breaking out of the late war, he left home to enter the service of his country, enlisting January 4, 1862, as a member of Company B, Thirteenth Illinois Cavalry. He served for three years, and was honorably discharged January 20. 1865, in Little Rock, Ark. He participated in all the engagements of the regiment, including the battles of Fredericktown and Cotton Platt, the raid with Curtis to Helena, Ark., and the battles of Brownsville and Jonesboro, the capture of Little Rock (September 10, 1863), the battle of Pine Bluffs, the Red River campaign, and many others. He served on detached duty for a year and a-half for the Medical Director of the Army of the West.
After receiving his discharge, Mr. Colvin returned home and remained on the farm until 1867, when he opened a restaurant in Olney; continuing in that business for one year, he then sold out. He was married in Olney in April. 1869, to Miss Charlotte, daughter of William Wallace, and immediately after rented a farm, which he operated for a year. He then returned to Olney and engaged in stock-dealing. While there his wife died, August 8, 1871, leaving one child, who died September 5 of the same year. Subsequently, Mr. Colvin worked for the Singer Sewing Machine Company in Olney, afterward in Newton, and also in Mt. Carmel.
In 1873 Mr. Colvin was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Wilson, in Newton, and removed to Mt. Carmel, but after a few months returned to Richland County, and located on a farm. The following summer his wife was taken sick and died June 16, 1874. He was again married, June 14, 1876, the lady of his choice being Miss Frances V. Adams, a native of Crawford County, Ill., and a daughter of B. W. Adams. They have a family of three sons and two daughters: Ola May, Arthur J., Luther N., Laura and Orlando.
After the death of his second wife, Mr. Colvin sold his crop and removed to Pike County, Ill., and engaged in buying stock. Later he rented land, which he operated until 1883, when he bought a part of the old homestead, and has since made it his place of residence. He is now successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits. In political belief he is a Democrat, and supports the men and measures of that party. The cause of education finds in him a warm friend, and for three years he has served as a member of the School Board. Mr. Colvin is a worthy representative of a pioneer family, and is recognized as one of the leading and influential citizens of The community. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.411 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
DAVID S. CURRY, who carries on general farming and stock-raising on sections 5 and 6, Bon pas Township, Richland County, is a native of the Hoosier State, his birth having occurred near Winchester, Ind., March 23, 1847. His paternal grandfather was of Irish descent, and the grandmother was of German lineage. Robert H. Curry was born in Allegheny County, Pa., in 1811, and his wife was a native of Virginia. Her death occurred in Winchester, Ind., when our subject was about four years of age. The father afterward came to Richland County with his son David, and here resided until his death, which occurred April 16, 1870.
Mr. Curry, whose name heads this record, received but limited school privileges, yet by his observation and experience he has made himself a well-informed man. He was married on the 5th of February, 1874, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary M., daughter of J. L. Byers, of Bonpas Township. Seven children have been born of their union, two sons and five daughters, viz.: Lora R., Mary H., Alice E., Florence E., Harriet H., Clarence B. H. and John L. The family circle yet remains unbroken and the children are all yet under the parental roof. The parents are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In December, 1859, Mr. Curry came to Richland County. For three years he lived near Calhoun, and then purchased his present farm of one hundred and ten acres, which at that time was a tract of raw land. His first home was a log cabin, which he built, and which still stands on the farm, one of the few landmarks of the early days yet remaining. The first season he planted an orchard, and he now has a fine orchard of ten acres of apples, and ten acres of peach trees. He raises very fine fruit, and for many years past has made exhibits of the same at the State Fairs, where he has taken many premiums. In 1892 he took the first premium on six exhibits and the third premium on four exhibits. One hundred and ten acres of his land are under a high state of cultivation, and, in connection with general farming and fruit-growing, he was for many years engaged in the breeding of Poland-China hogs. In regard to the improvements upon the place, we would say that none of the accessories of a model farm are lacking. His present residence was erected in 1890. It is one of the most comfortable and commodious dwellings in the township, being a two-story frame building of fine appearance. In 1892 he built a large barn, 32x48 feet. The neat appearance of this place, with its well-tilled fields and modern conveniences, all indicate the thrift and enterprise of the owner, who ranks among the leading farmers of his adopted county. Mr. Curry exercises his right of franchise in support of the Republican party . Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.334 - Submitted by Judy Edwards