Genealogy Trails


Richland County, Illinois
Genealogy and History


Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

logo

 

line
Biographies
line



James R. DALES -- hotel proprietor, was born in Livingston County, N.Y., August 30, 1824, and is the fifth of seven children born to Hugh and Margaret (BLAKELEY) DALES, both natives of New York and Irish ancestry. Hugh received a fair education and married in his native state, and early in life moved to Livingston County, N.Y., where he was one of the first settlers. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1859. He and his wife were members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. He was a soldier during the was of 1812. James R. had the advantages of good common schooling and academic instruction in New York. He assisted his father upon the farm work until his twenty-sixth year. He then went to Cuylerville and engaged in merchandising there for many years, and where he was Justice of the Peace, also, for some time. In 1861, he went to Fulton County, Ind, and followed agricultural pursuits for four years, and was a Trustee in that county. In 1866, Mr. DALES, went to Enfield, White Co, Il, lived there three years, and during two-thirds of the time kept a hotel. In 1869, he went to Fairfield, Wayne County, also a kept a hotel for several years; in 1877, came to Olney, and has since resided there, and followed the same business. He is now proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, one of the best on the O & M Railway. Mr. DALES has been married twice. On November 2, 1848, he wedded Susan A. SCOTT, a union blessed by six children, of whom four daughters and one son are living. Mrs. DALES departed this life on August 17, 1881, and April 18, 1883, Mr. DALES was united to Olive D. (COLE) FRASER, a native of Oswego County, N.Y. Our subject has been many years Justice of the Peace in Fairfield, and for over thirty years a Presbyterian, and is much interested in Sunday-school matters, having had a bible class in Olney ever since he lived there. He has helped organize three churches.  [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
 

Andrew DARLING -- was born at Berwickshire, in the parish of Preston, Scotland, in November, 1820, and came to this country with his father's family in 1825. In 1847, he came to Olney and opened a store on Main Street. Here he entered into a partnership with William NEWELL, which continued until 1852. At this time the O & M Railraod was in process of construction, and in connection with Joseph HARMON he took a contract upon the road, which continued for two years. In connection with and following upon this, he engaged in the sale of real estate; and on the completion of the road, took charge of the Olney House in partnership with Alfred KITCHELL. February 20, 1850, he married a daughter of Hon. James M. McLEAN. She died in 1861. Mr. DARLING was a large contributor to the building of the Presbyterian Church of Olney, and to the support of the ministry. On the breaking out of the war, he received an appointment in the Provost Marshal's office, which place he held until the office was abolished. In 1866, the First National Bank of Olney was organized, largely through his instrumentality and he was appointed cashier, which office he held till his death, which occurred, April 28, 1874. In 1866 he was married to Ada CLUBB, daughter of Canada CLUBB, one of the pioneers of Illinois. In 1873, Mr. DARLING joined the Congregational Church. Mr. DARLING possessed, to a remarkable degree, a power of attaching to himself very warm friends. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
 

George P. DAVIS -- Township Constable and general collector, was born in Blount County, Tenn, March 5, 1837, and is the second in a family of ten children (all living) born to John and Martha (MAXWELL) DAVIS, both natives of Tennessee, and of Scott and Irish descent respectively. The grandfather of our subject, John DAVIS Sr. was a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and was the last pensioner of that war at Knoxville, Tenn. His death occured in January, 1859, in his one-hundred and fifth year. John DAVIS Jr. is a carpenter by trade, and followed the same in connection with farming, in Tennessee, until 1878 or 1879, when he removed to Hopkinsville, Ky, where he still resides. He was major in the Tennessee State Militia for several years. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. George P. DAVIS, the subject, received a fair education at the subsciption schools of his native state, and was employed on his father's farm until he was twenty-five years old. In March, 1862, he was conscripted for service in the rebel army, but being a union man he joined a company of refugees and came north, arriving at Newton, Il, June 14, 1862. The next year he commenced teaching, and taught for some four years in Jasper County. He was then engaged in agricultural pursuits in the same county for some three years. In 1869, he removed to Claremont, Richland County, Il, where the following year he was elected Constable. In the spring of 1872, he came to Olney, and in the following spring was elected Constable , which office he has held ever since. In the fall of 1878, he was elected Depuy Sheriff of Richland CO, and held that office until fall of 1882. He was married March 26, 1863, to Margaret A. MAXWELL, a native of Boone County, Ind. Six children have been born to them, four of whom are living. Mr. DAVIS belongs to no church, but is a member of Olney Lodge, No. 140, A.F. & A.M., and also of Olney Lodge, No. 76, A.O.U.W., and of the Olney Lodge of Select Knights A.O.U.W. In politics, Mr. Davis is a Democrat, and is one of the enterprising and prominent citizens of the city and county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
 

William DISHON -- was born December 15, 1825, in Perry County, Ohio. In 1860 he came to Richland County and settled in German Township. He enlisted in 1861 in Company A, Sixty-Third Illinois Infantry and served three years and four months, participating in the battles of Mission Ridge, seige at Vicksburg, and with Sherman on his "March of the Sea" and others. Mr. DISHON owns one hundred acres of land where he now resides. He was married July 6, 1864 to Mrs. Thomas COTTERELL. She was born in Hardin Co., Ky. They have four children, four daughters and one son. Mr. DISHON has six children from a former marriage, two sons and four daughters, and Mrs. DISHON has two children by a former marriage, one son and one daughter. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]


Michael C. DONOVAN -- a farmer, is a native of Ireland, was born in 1842, and is a son of Patrick and Mary C. DONOVAN, both natives of Ireland, where the former died, aged sixty-five years. The latter came to America, about 1863, and died in Crawfordsville, Ind, aged nearly eighty-seven years. Michael C. DONOVAN came to America when fifteen years old, and thereafter purchased forty acres of unimproved land in Montgomery County. This he cultivated, and in the spring of 1883, sold the same and purchased 140 acres of his present farm, which is situated about one and one-fourth miles from Noble, and which is a most desirable property. This possession is wholly due to energy and thrift of our subject. In 1875, he married Miss Susan, daughter of William BRESSIE, of Washington Co, Ind. Mr. DONOVAN is a generally respected citizen, and a properous farmer. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]

W. H. DAVIS, M. D., is a native of Mitchell, Lawrence Co., Ind., was born November 3,1850, and is son of Rev. A. and Frances (Tolliver) Davis, of English German lineage. His parents were also natives of Lawrence County, Ind. They emigrated to Denver Township, Richland Co., Ill., in the spring of 1851, and settled southwest of Wakefield, and in 1876 they removed to southwest Missouri, where they now reside. The earliest education of Dr. Davis was acquired at the common district schools of Denver Township, and in the winter of 1870-71, he taught school. In September following, he entered Shurtleff College, at Alton, Ill., and attended that institution two years, and the fall of 1873, he began reading medicine in the office of Dr. J. L. Fuson, in the old town of Wakefield. In the spring of 1876 Dr. Davis went to Wright County, Mo., and began practicing his profession, and in 1878-79 attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, and on February 25, 1879, graduated from that institution. Immediately after his graduation he came to Wakefield and began the regular practice. As a physician he has been very successful. He was married, January 26, 1881, to S. E. Clark, a native of Wayne County, RI. Dr. Davis has one of the best residences in the village of Wakefield, and is a man of much enterprise. He is a Republican and a prominent young man. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]

JOHN N. DELZELL, farmer and school teacher, was born in Blount County, Tenn., December 29, 1818, is the son of Robert and Dorcas (Davis) Delzell, and of Irish descent. The parents of Mr. Delzell were Southerners, and about 1850 emigrated to Richland County, Ill., settled, lived and died in this township. Robert was a soldier in the war of 1812, was a prominent man in the country, and was universally known and respected for his honesty. When our subject was about fifteen years of age, he entered the Theological Seminary at Maryville, Tenn., and in 1836 taught his first school. In 1839 he removed from Blount County to McMinn County, and there taught school in winter and farmed in the summer for a number of years. Mr. Delzell's marriage took place on August 31, 1841, to Nancy Jane Lawrey, a native of Tennessee. To this union has been bequeathed eleven children. In 1861 Mr. Delzell and family came to Richland County, Ill., and settled in Denver Township, where they still reside. Mr. Delzell spent six months of each year for thirty years in teaching school, and was one of the most successful in the profession. He was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat, but generally supports the best men. He is a Mason, and has been a member of the Presbyterian Church more than fifty years. Mrs. Delzell is also a member of that church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]


 



BACK -- HOME




Copyright © Genealogy Trails