Harvey M. HALL was born in Amherst, Hancock County, Maine, February 9, 1838, and is the oldest of five children born to Henry and Lucy E. (ARCHER) HALL, both natives of Hancock County, Maine, and of Scotch and English descent, respectively. In early life Henry Hall graduated at the Polytechnic College, of Bangor, Maine, and for some years after was employed as a civil engineer in his native state. In about 1854, he purchased 160 acres of wild land in Switzerland County, Ind. Two years later he moved on the place with his family, erected a small frame house, and subsequently improved a farm upon which he resided until his death, which occurred in August, 1859. Harvey M. HALL, the subject of our sketch, received a good scientific and mathematical education at the Polytechnic College, of Bangor, Main, in youth. At the age of fifteen years, he left the college and went into the ship yard at Ellsworth, Main, to work for his uncle, where he learned the trade of ship-building. In the latter part of 1857, he came West, remaining about six months with his parents in southern Indiana. He then went to Hannibal, Mo., where he was employed as engineer in the construction of the Hannibal & Saint Joseph Railway, and afterward in the bridge depeartment of the same road, until in October, 1863, when he returned to Switzerland County, Ind. In August, 1864, he recruited Company I, One Hundred and Seventeenth Indiana Infantry, in three days, of which Company he was commissioned Captain. He remained with his regiment until the close of the war. Immediately after his return from the army he was employed as foreman in the bridge department of the O. & M. Railway, and located at Osgood, Ind. In October, 1872, he was promoted to assistant superintendent of bridges and building for the West and Springfield Divisions of said railway. October 1, 1881, he was appointed superintendent of bridges, buildings and water supplies, for the entire line of the O & M. Railway, which position he still holds. As a civil engineer, architect and draughtsman, Mr. Hall has no superior in the Southwest. He was married in 1858, to Olive MONTANYE, of Switzerland County, Ind. Three children, all living, have blessed their union. Mrs. HALL is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. HALL is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, being a member of all the Masonic Lodges of Olney, viz.: A.F. & A.M., R.A.M., R. & S.M. and K.T. He is also a member of Peoria Consistory S.P.R.S. He was W.M. of Osgood Lodge, A.F. & A.M., in Indiana for four years, and is now serving his second term as Commander of Gorin Commandery No. 14, K.T. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
George HANES-was born on March 12, 1836, in Portage County, Ohio, and was the son of Anthony HANES, who was born in Pennsylvania and died in Ohio. The subject of this sketch was raised by a uncle Daniel HANES. They emigrated to Illinois in 1842, since which time he has resided in this locality. In 1854, he bought thirty acres of land, and added by purchase other land as fast as his means would allow. Mr. HANES now owns 100 acres which is improved with a comfortable brick house, built in 1877, and which cost about $1500. His barn was built in 1873 and cost $600. He also has a orchard of about three acres, and other improvements. Our subject was married, January 1, 1857, to Sarah A. GARBER. She was born in Pennsylvania. This union has been blessed with two daughters, (twins). Mr. HANES has been Township Clerk for six years and Collector four years, Supervisor four years and School Director sixteen years in succession. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Alonzo E. Harrell, foreman and draughtman in O. & M. Railway shops at Olney, Il was born in New Marion, Ripley Co., Ind, December 20, 1853, and is one of seven children born to William D. and Nancy A. (HILL) HARRELL, natives of Indiana, and of English lineage. William D. was educated and married in his native state. He learned the trade of the wagon maker, and later on , that of a carpenter, which he followed for a number of years. For the last three years of his life he was employed as a bridge carpenter on the O. & M. Railway. He died on June 4, 1877, in his forty-seventh year, and was a member of the Medothist Episcopal Church, and of the A.F. & A.M., R.A.M. and I.O.O.F. Mrs. HARRELL was a Baptist. Alonzo E. HARRELL was well educated in a classic and scientific way. August 6, 1872, he began on the bridge construction form of the O. & M. Railway, and has steadily advanced. He is now chief assistant in the office of the superintendent of bridges, buildings, and water supplies on said railroad. In November,1881, Mr. HARRELL came to Olney, and has since resided there. On October 1,1876, he married Helen H. FRANCK, a native of New Albany, Ind, and a daughter of John P. and Virginia (CROOK) FRANCK, early settlers of New Albany. Mr. HARRELL is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is also of the Masonic Fraternity, and is a stanch Republican. He is one of our most prominent and enterprising citizens. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Christian HASLER - was born in Switzerland, August 20, 1845, and is the youngest of four living children to Peter and Margaret (VON ALLMAN) HASLER, both natives of Switzerland. Peter HASLER was educated and married in his native land, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occured in 1853. Christian HASLER, the subject, received a fair education in the common schools of Switzerland and the United States. In 1857, his mother and family emigrated to the United States, and settled in Olney, Ill. Here he was employed on a farm in the summer, and attended school during the winter season, until he was seventeen years old. He then served an apprenticeship of three years at the harness-makers' trade. Soon after completing his trade, he opened a shop at Olney, Il, where he has since been doing a successful business. He is the most extensive manufacturer of harness and saddles in the county. In February, 1865, he enlisted in Company E., One hundred and Fifty-Fifth Illinois Infantry, and served with the regiment until the close of the war, being mustered out at Murfreesboro, Tenn, in September, 1865. He married in October, 1868, to Susan BOHRAN, a native of Switzerland. Seven children have been born to them, only five of whom are living. He and his wife are both members of the German Reformed Church. He is also a member of Olney Lodge No. 140, A.F. & A.M.;Richland Chapter No. 38, R.A.M., and Richland Lodge No. 180; I.O.O.F.. In politics he is a Democrat. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Isaiah HEAP (deceased) was born August 2, 1825, in Ohio, and in 1839 he came tothis locality, and worked for his brother-in-law till the age of twenty-one when he married Rachel G. POWELL. She was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, March 18,1825. He died April 30, 1882, the father of the following children: Benjamin F., Samuel D., Margaret Ann (now Mrs. CRAWLEY), Rebecca J., (now Mrs. McCLURE), Isaiah, Clara Belle, and Emma May. Mary Alice died in 1882, aged twenty years. Mr. HEAP, with his son Benjamin F., served in the late war. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
O.P. HEISTAND - was born in Fredericks County, Md., February 12, 1815, and at the age of twenty-five years removed to Richland County, Ohio, where he carried on a blacksmiths' shop until 1839, when he moved to Fairview, Richland Co., Ill, still pursuing his former occupation until 1868. For the last eighteen years Mr. HEISTAND has been Justice of the Peace. He has been steward of the Methodist Episcopal Church past thirty years. Mr. HEISTAND has four children living, viz: Emily L. wife of Rev. D.C. ENGLISH, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Albion, Hester A. (wife of Rev. O.H. CLARK, presiding elder of the Olney District), Mrs. George C. MOORE and Norman A. (a carpenter in Fairview). Another son, Bently N., enlisted, in 1864, in the Eleventh Missouri Infantry, was wounded December 16, 1864, and died from amputation of his limb, January, 1865. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Osbern Henry - a farmer and stock dealer, is a native of Crawford Co, Il., born February 10, 1843, son of R. A. and Sarah A. (LACKEY) HENRY, is the third in a family of eleven children, and is of German-Irish extraction. The father of Mr. HENRY was born in Tennessee, and in early manhood came to Crawford County, Ill. He was one of the pioneers of that county. He died in Arkansas in 1868. Osbern HENRY worked at home til twenty-two years of age. His marriage took place December 28, 1865, to Miss Elvira GOFF, daughter of Mason and Elizabeth GOFF. To this marriage were born five children- viz:- Laura E., Irva M., Emery E., Mason G., and Hester A. Mrs. HENRY died October 3, 1874, and four years later he was married to Miss Nannie F. CARSON, a distant relative of the famous Kit CARSON. To this union were born three children- FredII., Tillie B., and Nannie C. Mrs. HENRY died October 11, 1883. In 1886, Mr. HENRY came to Decker Township, Richland County, and settled where he now resides and owns 279 acres of well-improved land. In 1883, he erected one of the best barns in Decker Township. Mr. HENRY is a Democrat, though in all local matters, he always supports the best man. He was made a Mason in 1864, and is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
OSBORN HENRY, who carries on general farming on section 9, Decker Township, Richland County, was born in CrawfordCounty, Ill., February 10, 1843. and is of Irish descent. His grandfather was a native of the Emerald Isle, andfor some time followed the sea. He became one of the first white settlers of Crawford County, from where he wasthree times driven out by the Indians. On horseback he came from Tennessee to Illinois. His son, R. A. Henry, thefather of our subject, spent most of his life in Crawford County, where his birth occurred. He was a merchant,and also an extensive stock dealer, but as he traded largely in the South, he was financially ruined during thewar, losing $60,000 on account of the worthless currency of the Confederacy. He died in Arkansas in 1870. NearVincennes, Ill., he married Sarah A. Luckey, whose father was a Revolutionary soldier. Her death occurred in RichlandCounty in the winter of 1892. On fifteen different occasions during her girlhood she was forced to flee to Ft.Knox to escape the Indians. In the Henry family were seven sons and three daughters.
Amid the wild scenes of frontier life, Osborn Henry grew to manhood. He received no educational privileges, andhis advantages in other directions were almost as meagre. At the age of twenty-four he came to Richland County,and cut the first tree upon his present farm to make rails. The place had no improvements and was mostly coveredwith timber, but he built a log cabin and at once began the development of his land. He at first owned one hundredand twenty acres, but the boundaries of his farm he has since extended until now three hundred acres of valuableland pay tribute to his care and cultivation. Upon the place is a good orchard of twenty-five acres, together withall the necessary buildings and all modern improvements. His fields are well tilled and he raises a good gradeof cattle and horses.
In the county of his nativity, Mr. Henry married Miss Elvessa Goss, who was born in the same county, whither herparents removed from Kentucky in the year 1843. After her death he was again married, this time marrying Miss MamieR. Langdon, daughter of Dr. Langdon, of Noble Township. She was born and reared near Noble, and acquired an excellenteducation in its public schools. For six years she successfully engaged in teaching. To her knowledge she has greatlyadded by extensive reading, and Mrs. Henry is now recognized as one of the most intelligent and cultured ladiesof this community. Our subject and his wife have two children. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,and are people whose worth and ability have won for them an enviable position in the best circles of society. Fraternally,Mr. Henry is connected with the Masonic lodge of Noble. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.330 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
Joseph C. HERRON was born in Franklin County, Ind., January 30, 1857, and is the oldest of four children and the only son of John and Salome F. (JENKINS) HERRON, the former a native of Maryland, and the latter of Indiana, and both of English descent. The ancestors of the JENKINS' in America were among the Puritans who landed at Plymouth,Massachusetts, in 1620.When, but a lad, in about 1840, John HERRON, removed with his parents to Butler County, Ohio, where is early education was received. Afterwards, the family removed to Franklin County, Ind., were John was married. In early life he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for about ten years. He then learned Dentistry at Mount Carmel, Ind, and has since practiced that profession in that town. In September, 1883, he removed to Olney, Il. Joseph C. HERRON, the subject, received a very fair education at the common schools, and at the National Normal, of Lebanon, Ohio. At a very early age, he was employed at his fathers' dental office, but did not study the profession regulary until some time later. He began his career as a teacher, continuing that profession for about one year. January 1, 1877, he commenced the study of dentistry under his father's instructions, with whom he practiced for a time. On March3, 1881, he graduated from the Ohio Dental College of Cincinnati, and in the same month came to Olney, Il, where he opened a dental office, and has since been doing a thriving business. When a young man he had held for a time the position of assistant postmaster, at Mount Carmel, Ind. He is a member of the Universal Church, and also of all the Masonic bodies in Olney, viz: A.F. & A.M., R.A.M., R. & S.M., & K.T. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
John P. HIGGINS was born in Wabash County, Il., March 30, 1825, and at age of thirteen years engaged in flatboating on the Ohio and Mississippi, extending their trips from Bonpass, Il., to New Orleans, and continuing this pursuit nine years. Mr. HIGGINS and his father were successful hunters, he having killed in one year as many as sixty deer, and his father 120, besides large numbers of turkeys and small game. In 1859, the subject of this sketch went to California, with an ox-team, remaining about two years. While there, he killed a grizzly bear. Mr. HIGGINS was married, in 1849, to Mary K. KEY, also of Wabash County,Il. He first bought forty acres of land, adding to it as his means would allow, until he now owns 357 acres, with comfortable buildings, ten acres of orchard, and seventy head of cattle and three teams. Mr. Higgins is largely engaged in the live stock business, and is one of the most enterprising men in the county, and one of its oldest settlers.
JOHN P. HIGGINS resides on section 35, Madison Township, Richland County, where he follows the occupation of farming.He is one of the leading agriculturists of the community, and being widely and favorably known we feel assuredthat this record of his life will prove of interest to many of our readers. His birth occurred in Wabash County,Ill., March 30, 1825, and in a family of five sons and three daughters, he is the second in order of birth. Hisparents were William and Jane (Jourden) Higgins. His father was born in Genesee County, N. Y., December 7, 1800,and when a small boy he accompanied his father and grandfather with their respective families to Illinois. At thattime a colony of thirteen families emigrated to Wabash County, and were among its first settlers. The only roadacross the country at that time was known as the ''trace" road, which led from Vincennes, Ind., to St. Louis, Mo.
William Higgins remained in Wabash County until 1828, when he came to what is now Richland County, but was thena part of Lawrence County. He entered land from the Government and began the development of a farm. He was a greathunter, and in three days killed twenty-four deer. He also ran a flatboat from this place to New Orleans by wayof the Bonpas, Wabash and Mississippi Rivers for about seven years. He was Postmaster of Bonpas for a number ofyears, and was Justice of the Peace for a quarter of a century. Leading and influential in all public affairs,he took a very prominent part in the development and upbuilding of the county in an early day, and is numberedamong its honored pioneers. He died January 12, 1863, at the age of sixty-three years, and, like his parents andgrandparents, was buried in Lancaster Cemetery. His wife, who was born in Hard in County, Ky., in 1797, accompaniedher parents to Wabash County in an early day. She died a few years later than her husband and sleeps by his sidein Lancaster Cemetery. Only two children of the Higgins family are now living. George W., the eldest, died in RichlandCounty in April, 1855; John is the second in order of birth; William J. went to California in 1855, and died soon afterward; Louis W. died in California in 1853; Anson H. died in this county April 30, 1874; Sarah E., who was born in 1834, is the wife of I. M. Key, a farmer of Indian Territory; Vermelia K., wife of James Sorkley, diedin 1873.
Mr. Higgins whose name heads this record remained with his parents until he had attained his majority, workingon the farm during the summer and hunting during the winter season. He also made several trips down the river toNew Orleans. On the 26th of October, 1848, he wedded Miss Mary K. Key, who was born January 1, 1828, and is a daughterof John and Sarah (Runnels) Key. Her father came from Kentucky to Illinois in 1818, locating in Wabash County.His death occurred in Richland County, June 8, 1857, and his remains were interred in Sugar Creek Cemetery. Hiswife was a native of Georgia, and came with her parents to Illinois when a maiden of sixteen summers. She died in this county in the year 1872, and was also laid to rest in Sugar Creek Cemetery. The following children wereborn unto Mr. and Mrs. Key: Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wier, a resident of Mt. Vernon, Ill.; Nancy, widow of ThomasParker, a resident of Way ne County; Mary, wife of our subject; Thomas H., deceased; Martha, who has also passedaway; Henry, a farmer of Missouri; Caroline, wife of William Barton, a farmer of Richland County; and Emma, wifeof Edwin Risley, an agriculturist of Wabash County, Ill.
Mr. and Mrs. Higgins began their domestic life upon the farm which is still their home. One child came to bless their union, Louis D., who was born in September, 1849, and died in April, 1859. On the 26th of April of the last-namedyear, our subject left home with an ox-team for the West, his objective point being Pike's Peak, but he changedhis mind and went through to California by way of Oregon, the trip taking five months and eleven days. He spentsome time mining and was variously employed during his stay in the Golden State, and worked for a time for Maj.Bidwell, who was candidate for President on the Prohibition ticket in 1892. While thus employed he killed a grizzlybear on Bid well's ranch in Butte County, Cal. He returned to his home in 1860, arriving December 12, coming byway of Arizona and Old and New Mexico. The farm upon which he began his married life was at first only forty acresin extent, but our subject devoted himself assiduously to its cultivation, and also dealt in cattle for severalyears in this and adjoining counties. His business undertakings proved successful, and as his financial resourcesincreased, he extended the boundaries of his farm until it now comprises three hundred and thirteen acres, whichyield to him a golden tribute in return for his care and cultivation. The beautiful country home is surroundedby well-tilled fields, and the neat appearance of the place indicates the thrift and enterprise of the owner. Formany years Mr. Higgins supported the Republican party, but is now independent in politics. His wife is a memberof the Methodist Episcopal Church, and to its support he contributes liberally, although he is not connected withany religious denomination. Mr. Higgins' business career has not only been an upright and honorable one, but hasbeen a successful one as well. He started out in life empty-handed, but has steadily worked his way upward, andthe difficulties he has encountered have only seemed to make him labor all the more earnestly for his success.He has now attained a position of wealth and influence, and at the same time has won and retains the confidenceand regard of all. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.600 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
Titus HILL was born in Richland County, Ohio, April 20, 1824, and came with his parents to Lawrence (now Richland) County, October 1,1840. Boy as he was, he signed the first petition dividing Richland from Lawrence County. His father settled in Calhoun Prairie, and bought 165 acres of land, and engaged in farming. He worked with his father til the age of forty-one, their interests always being identical. He then married Catherine M. WILSON, a native of Indiana, who died May 30, 1868, aged twenty-five years. They had one daughter, Mary C. His second marriage took place November 14, 1876, to Flora M. BOLINGER, of Fairview. They had four children -- two living-David S. and John L. After his marriage, his father bought him a farm of eighty-five acres, where he lived until his wife's death, when he sold this farm and came to Fairview, and lived with his father till his death. They were always happy in each other's company. Mr. HILLS's great grandfather served in the Revolutionary War, and was buried alive by the British on Long Island. He was taken a prisoner and placed on board the ship Jersey, and fed with bread mixed with lime, and he being about dead, they buried him alive. The Tories in the neighborhood, made their brags that they "buried one damned Yankee alive" and so handed the story down from one generation to another. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Charles HINMAN, insurance agent, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., April 3, 1840, and is the sixth of the eight children born to Titus M. and Emily (JETER) HINMAN, natives of Pennsylvania and South Carolina, respectively, and of English descent. Titus M. was taken by his parents to Franklin County, Ind., when about ten years old. He was well educated, going through college, and afterwards married here. When sixteen years old he was engaged in teh Indian wars, and distinguished himself under Gen. HARRISON. He followed the distilling business in early life, but becoming convinced of the evil of such a traffic, sold his distillery for almost nothing, and in 1832, went to farming in Bartholomew County, where he lived until 1851, then to this county, and continued in the same business until his death in October, 1865. He filled various ofices during his lifetime, and was an Abolitionist. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he belonged to the A.F. & A.M., R.A.M., R. & S.M., and K.T. Charles A.'s school advantages were very limited, and were received wholly in the log schoolhouses. Since he attained manhood he acquired a good business education. On April 16, 1861, Mr. HINMAN enlisted in a company recruited for the Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, but the quota being full, he was sent home. July 16, 1861, he again enlisted, this time in Company H, Thirty-Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until May 18, 1863, when he was discharged at Jefferson, Mo., on account of a severe wound in the right lung, received at the battle of Stone River. After his return from the war he attempted to follow agricultural pursuits, but was compelled to abandon it and engage in traveling. For the past three years he has been special agent of the Rockford Fire Insurance Company. In 1865 Mr. HINMAN was married to Annie HOOD, a native of Olney, who has borne him seven children, of who four, three sons and a daughter, are left with them. The parents are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. HINMAN has held various positions in that body for eighteen years. He belongs to the Subordinate Lodge of I.O.O.F., and to the K. of P., and in political fields carries the Republican flag. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HORNER Brothers are the proprietors of the HORNER Bros.' Elevator. This structure was erected in about 1869; it has a capacity of about 70,000 bushels, and is one of the finest, as well as the most conveniently arranged elevators in southern Illinois. It cost about $10,000. In 1882 the Olney National Bank was organized; John N. HORNER assisted in its organization, and was then chosen Vice-President, and afterwards re-elected for a second term. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Kinneth D. HORRALL, hardware, was born in Daviess County, Ind., June 9, 1838, and is the only child of John and Rebecca (JOHNSON) HORRALL, natives of Vermont and Wabash County, and of English and Scotch descent respectively. John came to Daviess County, Ind., in an early day, bought a farm and resided upon it until his death in 1840. He was a veteran of the war of 1812, and he and wife belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Kinneth D. received an ordinary education in log schoolhouses, and begain to learn the tinner's trade at the age of fourteen, but in about a year returned to farm work. He again adopted his trade, and served in all an apprenticeship of five years. In 1852 he came to Olney, and in 1856, opened a store and tinware store, which he has carried on to the present time. In 1861 Mr. Horrall added a stock of hardware, and has now the largest stock in southern Illinois, consisting of shelf and heavy hardware, stoves and tinware. In May, 1860, Mr. HORRALL married Sarah J. BAIRD, of this town. Seven children bless this union. The parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an early and prominent settler and a good business man. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
J.S. HOWE is a native of Fleming County, Ky. His father, having served in the Mexican war and being entitled to a land grant, entered 160 acres where they now reside, coming to Madison Township in 1865. Mr. HOWE has held the office of Assessor one term. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and President of the Richland County Sunday school Association. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Benjamin F. HUNTER, farmer, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, March 11, 1829, and was the endest of ten children born to James and Harriet N. (NEEL) HUNTER, the former a native of Clinton County, Ohio, and the latter of Kent County, Md., and of Irish and English descent, respectively. James was educated, reared and followed farming in his native country, continuing in this pursuit until the time of his death, on September 27, 1846, at the age of forty-one years. On February 18, 1874, Mrs. Harriet N. HUNTER departed this life at the age of sixty-seven years, having been since girlhood a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Benjamin F. HUNTER received a limited education in log schoolhouses, and was employed in farm work until he attained is twenty-third year. Afterward, he farmed on shares for a time, and then bought a partially improved farm of forty acres, adding to this until he owned a well-improved farm of 110 acres. From 1857 to 1859 he was engaged in the boot and shoe business at Cuba, Clinton Co., Ohio. In August, 1862, Mr. HUNTER enrolled as a private in Company C, Seventy-Ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with the regiment in all its engagements until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, and in the memorable march of SHERMAN to the sea. After the battle of Peach Tree Creek, he was promoted to Color-Sergeant, and while carrying the colors was wounded, as the surgeon said, mortally. He was placed in an army wagon and carried over rough roads for seven or eight days before he received any attention. On the journey he lost almost all his clothes, and what he wore was stiff with blood. On March 24, he was taken to a temporary hospital at Goldborough, and was afterwards transferred to Newberne, N.C. In the latter part of April, he was taken to David's Island in New York Harbor, where he remained until his discharge, June 12, 1865. On his return home he farmed, but was obliged to hire all the labor done, as he was not able to perform any manual labor himself. For one year Mr. HUNTER lived in Blanchester, and then removed to Clarksville, Clinton Co., Ohio, and in October, 1870, traded his farm there for one of 200 acres in Denver Township, in this county. He resided on this farm until 1877, when he rented it and came to Olney, where he has lived since that time. Mr. HUNTER was married July 31, 1851, to Elizabeth J. MOON, a native of Clinton County. They have no children. Mr. & Mrs. HUNTER do not belong to the church. In politics he is a Republican, is an enterprising man and respected citizen of this county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Timothy W. HUTCHINSON, attorney, was born in Oxford County, Main, November 21, 1832, and is the younger of two living sons born to Galen and Olive (FLINT) HUTCHINSON, both natives of Maine and of English descent. Galen HUTCHINSON was educated and married in his native state, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for many years. In 1841 he removed to New Hampshire, where he purchased a farm and saw mill, and lived until 1861, when he returned to Oxford County, Maine, where he was engaged in farmed until his death, which occurred in 1875. Mr. HUTCHINSON was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Timothy W. received a fair common school education. From his nineteenth until his twenty-ninth year, he was engaged in going to school, teaching and working at the carpenters' trade. He graduated from Urbana University, Ohio, in 1859, and from teh Cleveland Law School in 1860, and was admitted to the bar at Van Wert, Ohio, in the same year. In 1863 he went to Louisville, Ill., where he practiced his profession for four years. In 1867 he came to Olney, where he has since practiced with excellent success. In the same year the firm of WILSON & HUTCHINSON was established, and is now one of the leading law firms in Richland County. Several young men, who have since risen to eminence in the profession, received their first instructions in this office. In about 1869, Mr. HUTCHINSON was appointed register in bankruptcy, which position he is still holding. He was married in April, 1861, to Anny L. CANBY, a native of Logan County, Ohio. They have had four children, three sons and one daughter, given to them. Mr. HUTCHINSON is not a member of the church, but holds the doctrine of Swedenborg. In politics he is a Republican, and is one of the prominent attorneys of the place. He is also extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits attending to his fine, improved farm of some 400 acres. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
TIMOTHY H. HUTCHINSON, senior member of the firm of Hutchinson & Hutchinson, attorneys-at-law of Olney, is one of the leading members of the Richland County Bar. He possesses fine natural ability and has closely appliedhimself to become perfectly familiar with his profession. His studiousness, therefore, combined with the giftsof nature, has made him one of the ablest legal practitioners of this community. His life record is as follows:He was born in Albany, Oxford County, Me., November 21, 1832, and is a son of Galen and Olive (Flint) Hutchinson. His father was born in the same county in 1800, and was of English descent, as was the mother, whose birth alsooccurred in Oxford County. Galen Hutchinson was a farmer by occupation, and lived and died in the Pine Tree State,but his wife spent her last days in New Hampshire.
The subject of this sketch remained at home until about nineteen years of age. For a time he engaged in teachingschool and also worked at the carpenter's trade. His primary education was acquired in the common schools, afterwhich he attended Urbana University of Ohio, and was graduated from that institution in the Class of '60. Havingdetermined to enter the legal profession, he studied law in Cleveland and was admitted to the Bar in Ohio in 1861.The following year he came to Illinois and entered upon the practice of his profession in Louisville, where he remained until 1865, when he came to Olney, where he has since made his home.
On the 13th of April, 1861, in Bellefontaine, Ohio, Mr. Hutchinson was united in marriage with Miss Anna L. Canby,daughter of Hon. Richard S. Canby, now of Olney. The lady is a native of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Four children havebeen born of their union, three sons and a daughter. Richard S. C. is a court reporter and resides in Knoxville,Tenn.; Park S. was educated at the Olney High School, studied law with his father, and was admitted to the BarAugust 27, 1891; Frank is now in the office of the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad learning bridge-building; and Ethel completes the family.
On coming to Olney, Mr. Hutchinson formed a partnership with E. S. Wilson, succeeding his father-in-law, who had just been elected to the Circuit Bench as Mr. Wilson's partner. His connection with Mr. Wilson continued up to1890, when the latter was elected State Treasurer of Illinois. In 1892, his son Park S. joined his father in business, and under the firm name of Hutchinson & Hutchinson are now engaged in practice. This firm has a wide reputation,which is well merited, and they enjoy a liberal share of the public patronage.
Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson are members of the Swedenborgian Church. He is a Republican in politics and takes considerableinterest in public affairs. Our subject owns a fine farm of one hundred and forty acres, lying adjacent to the city, and his wife has two hundred and twenty acres. These tracts are largely utilized as orchards, ten thousandapple trees having been set out on the two farms. There are also about two thousand peach trees. Mr. Hutchinsonbelieves this community will become one of the finest fruit-bearing regions of the country, and has therefore largelyplanted his land in apples. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.342 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
RICHARD HALL, farmer, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., August 4, 1827, is the son of John and Elizabeth (House) Hall, is the twelfth of thirteen children, and of Irish-German extraction. The father of Mr. Hall was one of the pioneers of Jefferson County, Ind., and entered land where the town of Madison now stands. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and a Republican; he and ten sons having at one time voted the Whig ticket, at the same precinct. He died on the morning of Lee's surrender at the close of the late war. Richard faced the cares of life alone at twenty-one years of age, and was married February 24,1850, to Elizabeth Hankins, who has born him ten children. They came to Illinois in 1853, settled in Jasper County, and there remained till seven years ago, then removed to Denver Township, Richland County, and reside there now, near Wakefield. Mr. Hall is a Republican, and in 1860, was elected Justice of the Peace, and held that office twelve years. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Hall's grandfather was a soldier in the Continental army, a comrade of Daniel Boone, and lived to be one hundred and eight years of age. For many years our subject was one of the most extensive land traders in southern Illinois. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HENRY HARMON, Jr., was born November 23, 1853, in Greene County, Ind., and was the son of Henry Harmon, who was born March 11, 1812, in Byron County, Ky., and in 1836 came to Richland County, Ill., and settled about three miles south of Olney, on Congress land. He there lived several years, but finally returned to Indiana, where the subject of this sketch was born. In 1855 Henry came with his parents to Richland County, where he has since lived. He owns sixty acres land upon which he lives in Section 15, and has just completed a very comfortable house, which he occupies. He was married in 1875 to Mary Graff, who was born in Richland County. They have four children, two sons and two daughters. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
J. D. HUNDLEY (deceased) was born in Virginia, on June 24, 1827, and died on March 25, 1881. When a child his parents removed to Highland County, Ohio, where he received his early training. In the spring of 1858 he came to Richland County, Ill., and purchased a farm of one hundred acres, in Olney Township, where he lived five years. In 1863 he sold this farm, came to Fairview, and engaged extensively in the mercantile trade, continuing in this business seven years. It was principally his efforts which induced the P. D. & E. R. R. Co. to come to Fairview. He held the office of postmaster there for several years. In 1870 he bought the Reed farm, consisting of 300 acres, 200 acres of which are in a high state of cultivation. On April 16, 1858, he was married to Amy Harris, of Highland County, Ohio. She was born November 1833. Five children have been born to them, viz.: Jesse, Charles H., Martha J., Mary and Melissa. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]