Genealogy Trails


Richland County, Illinois
Genealogy and History


Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

logo

 

line
Biographies
line


George D. Johnstone, confectioner and dealer in musical instruments, was born in Mendota, La Salle Co., Ill., July 22, 1858, and is the eldest of the three children born to Alexander C. and Jane (TRUMAN) JOHNSTONE, natives, respectively, of Aberdeen, Scotland, and of London, England. Alexander received an excellent education in his native city, and began studying law there. When a young man he emigrated to the United States in the interest of a liquor house of Liverpool. After his arrival in this country he went to Chicago, and was employed as book-keeper for a while. In about 1852 or 1853, he went to Mendota, Ill., married and followed the grocery business. In 1859 he went to California in search of gold, and in 1860, returned for his family. He sought his fortune in California, but was unsuccessful. He resides now in Gilpin County, Colorado, and owns some valuable gold and silver mines. Mr. JOHNSTONE belongs to the Presbyterian, and his wife to the Baptist Church. George D. was well educated in the schools of Colorado, and in the spring of 1878 returned to Mendota, graduated in a commercial course, and taught in that institution for a time. He afterwards taught a village school for fifteen months. In 1880 he entered the Union College of Law, at Chicago, and graduated in 1882, when he went to Saint Paul, Minn., and was admitted to the bar, in that state. He practiced in the office of Lorenzo ALLIS, one of the oldest attorneys there. In 1883 he abandoned the profession on account of ill health, and came to southern Illinois. Here he accepted an agency for the Western Cottage Organ Company, with headquarters at Olney. He is also engaged in the confectionery business with W.A. STARTSMAN, who is also with him in the musical merchandise business. They have one of the finest confectionery stores in southern Illinois, and carry a large stock of musical instruments and merchandise. During the first six months of 1883, they sold over one hundred pianos and organs. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]

Theo. H. Johnson, M.D., was born in Springfield, Ohio, on July 22, 1846, and is the third of the five children born to Seth S. and Sarah (HORNER) Johnson, natives of Clark and Hamilton counties, Ohio, and of English and Scotch-Irish descent. The father was left an orphan at the age of nine years, and when a mere boy engaged as employee in the dry goods business, and held situations at various points until 1852 or 1853, when he opened on his own account at South Charleston, Ohio, afterwards conducting stores at Selma, Ohio, and Champaign, Ill., and retiring in 1875. Theo. H. JOHNSON was reared on a farm and in his father's stores utnil eighteen years of age, when he began the study of anatomy. He entered the Chicago Medical College in the fall of 1867, and graduated with the class of 1869. In 1868 he had been appointed on the house state of Mercy Hosptial, and served until August, 1869, when he came to Olney where he has since been in successful practice. In July, 1881, he was appointed Surgeon for the Illinois Southern Penitentiary, but soon resigned. He has for several years been Surgeon to a militia regiment, and also United States Pension Examining Surgeon. He was married in 1864, and has one son -- Paul, aged six years. He is a K. of P., a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a Republican. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
 

John B. & John F. JOLLY are hardware dealers. John B. was born at Albion, Edwards Co., Ill., in August 1824, being the only child of William and Emily (DUNN) Jolly, natives of England. He was well educated, and after his father's death, was employed as a clerk in the County Clerk's office for a time. He then removed to Grayville, Ill., where he still resides. He was engaged for many years in merchandising. In about 1849 Mr. JOLLY maried Elizabeth FERRIMAN, a native of the Island of Jamaica, but of English descent. One son blessed this union. About fifteen years ago Mr. JOLLY retired from active business. In the spring of 1883 he bought a half interest in a hardware store at Olney, but the business is managed by his son exclusively. Mr. JOLLY, Sr., was for several years President of the Board of Trustees, at Grayville. John F. JOLLY was born in Grayville, White Co., Ill., December 2, 1831. He received an excellent education, and in 1870, in company with others engaged in the drug business under the firm name of JOLLY, SPRING & HOLLISTER. He remained in that business about four years. In 1877 he came to Olney and bought and interest in a hardware store with W.T. PRUNTY, doing business under the firm name of PRUNTY & JOLLY, until the spring of 1883, when Mr. PRUNTY retired, and our subject's father took his interest, and the business is now carried on under the name of J.B. & J.F. JOLLY. They have a fine stock and are doing a good business. Mr. JOLLY, Jr., was married, October 20, 1880, to Mary E. MORRISON, of this city. He is a Republican, and is an enterprising and prominent business man. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]


SAMUEL R. JONES (deceased) was a native of Orange County, N. C., born in 1823. He was reared a farmer, and he died at his home in Claremont April 8, 1876. January 8, 1848, he enlisted in the Mexican war; after serving about seven months he returned to Orange County, continued farming and also ran a distillery there several years. In the fall of 1858 he came to Richland County and located in Claremont; he first worked for the railroad company, attending the tank; also farmed. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Company E, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Infantry, and served to the end of the war. On account of wounds received at different battles he was transferred to the Invalid Corps at Springfield, HI., in 1864, where he remained till 1865, when he was honorably discharged. In 1866 he returned to Claremont, bought a farm of twenty acres about one mile west of the village, and there lived several years. He then removed to the poor farm, having been appointed Superintendent, held this position four years, and during his stay bought the hotel now known as the Jones House. December 25,1874 he removed to this house, where he remained till his death. He was married, August 15, 1849, to Elizabeth G. Jones, who was born in Orange County, N. C. Five children blessed this union, four sons and one daughter. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
 
 

 



BACK -- HOME




Copyright © Genealogy Trails