William T. LAMPTON. M.D., was born in Breckenridge County, Ky., August 27, 1855, and is the third of four children born to Henry T. and Mary C. (BROWNE) LAMPTON, both natives of Kentucky and of English and Scotch-Irish descent, respectively. Henry T. LAMPTON was educated and married in his native state. At the age of twenty-five he entered the ministry and has continued in that calling ever since. He was one of the pioneer Baptist ministers of Kentucky. In 1876, he removed to Rockport, Spencer Co., Ind., where he still resides. He is also a member of the Masonic Fraternity, having advanced to the Consistory, or thirty-second degree. William T. LAMPTON, the subject, received a good education at the common schools of his native state, and graduated from the Louisville University, in 1878. Some two years before, however, he had commenced the study of medicine, at Rockport, Ind., reading during his vacations. He graduated from the medical department of the Transylvania University, at Louisville, in 1880. In the same year he commenced the practice of his profession at Olney, Ill., where he has had good success. In politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the enterprising young men of the city. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Frederick LANDENBERGER was born in Germany, April 7, 1850, and is the second of six children born to George F. and Mary M. (STREICH) LANDENBERGER, both natives of Germany. George F. Landenberger was a turner and cabinet maker by trade. In 1854 he emigrated with his wife and family to the United States, first settling at Circleville, Ohio, where he remained until 1859, when he came to Olney, Ill., where he still resides. Frederick Landenberger, the subject of our sketch, received a good common school education in youth. At the age of thirteen he commenced to learn telegraphy, and was employed at that business until 1868. He was then appointed bill clerk in the office of the O & M. R.R., at the East Saint Louis, where he remained until 1872. He then returned to Olney, Ill., where he wentinto the grocery and provision trade, at which he has since been doing an extensive business. He is also engaged in buying and shipping all kinds of country produce and grain. His average annual sales amount to from $40,000 to $50,000. He is also extensively engaged in the ice and wood business. Mr. LANDENGERGER now owns real estate, business and residence property, in Olney, and farms in the country, worth from $25,000 to $30,000, in addition to personal property. He was married, April 8, 1877, to Lucinda E. HENDERSHOT, a native of Ohio. Three children have blessed their union, all of whom are living. Mrs. LANDENBERGER is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics Mr. LANDENBERGER is independent. He is one of the prominent business men in the city and country. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
George W. LEAF was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, in 1829, and is the son of Henry and Mary (TURNER) LEAF. George W. was reared on a farm, receiving a common school education. He began life for himself at twenty-one years of age; his vocation being that of a farmer. In 1854, Mr. LEAF removed to Richland County, and settled on a land he had bought in that year. He now owns one of the finest farms in Preston Township, consisting of 450 acres, with good buildings and land well improved, and under a high state of cultivation. January 18, 1852, He married Nancy, the daughter of James and Elizabeth (SMITH) MOORE. She was born in Clermont County, Ohio, January 24, 1832. Seven children have been born to them, four daughters and three sons; Albina (McWILLIAMS), Sarah E. (PHILLIPS), Eva L.(TIPPIT), Jennie (ROLAND), James H., Issac and Henry. Mr. LEAF's daughters have all married well-to-do and highly respected gentlemen of Richland County, and for himself, he is respected by all who knew him, and is one of the substantial farmers of the county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Thomas LEAF -- farmer, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, October 25, 1834, and is the son of Henry and Mary (TURNER) LEAF. The father was born in 1800, and married when he was twenty-one, his wife being seventeen years of age, and a native of Clermont County, Ohio. She died June 3, 1850, and her husband about the year 1871. Mr. LEAF our subject, came to Richland County, in 1855, where he began life for himself as a farmer, and by industry and economy has accummulated a fine farm of 405 acres. On September 9, 1858, he married Mary E., daughter of Peter and Abigail (FARRIS) COLVIN. She was born in Highland County, Ohio, April 5, 1839, and died March 10, 1869. To them were born five children; Henry, Peter, William, John (deceased), and Albert. Our subject married again September 30, 1869, choosing Nancy A., daughter of William and Eliza (BATES) SHEPHERD. She was born in Clarke County, Ohio, on April 1, 1840. To them were born five children- Charles, Robert, Laura, Clements and Hugh. Mr. LEAF is a most substantial farmer, a good citizen and liberal in politics. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Lewis A. LEVERING was born September 28, 1826, in Salem, N.C. He is the son of Charles J. and Ruth M. (REA) LEVERING; the former born in Pennsylvania, the latter a native of Ireland. His father had received a thoroughly classical education, and was teacher in the Nathereth Hall, Pennsylvania, several years. After carrying on the merchant tailoring business several years, he removed to Indiana, and held the office of postmaster; he also as engaged in book-keeping, in all about twenty years; he died in 1878, in Hope, Ind., aged eighty-three years. At the age of twenty-one the subject of this sketch removed to Edwards County, Ill., and carried on the carpenter trade about six years; in 1854 he came to Olney, and continued the carpenter trade; two years later he moved his family here, where they have since resided. He continued the carpenter trade till 1864, since which time he has been engaged in gardening on four acres which he owns, and on which he rsides. He enlisted in 1862 in Company B, Ninety-Eighth Illinois (Mounted) Infantry, served about seven months, and was honorably discharged on account of physical disability. He was married in 1848 to Sophia T. HOUSER; she was born November 17, 1828, in Salem, N.C. Ten children blessed this union, of whom four sons and three daughters are living. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Jacob LEWIS Jr.-was born June 7, 183, in Lawrence County, Il, and is the son of Jacob L. LEWIS Sr., who was born in North Carolina on January 27, 1802, and was reared in Kentucky. At an early day he emigrated to Illinois and settled in Lawrence County, where he has since lived and where the subject of this sketch was born and brought up. In 1862 he was commissioned Lieuteneant of Company C, Sixty-Third Illinois Infantry, but on account of physical disability resigned in 1864, when he returned to his farm in Lawrence County. In 1865 he sold that farm and removed to Richmond County, where he had bought and improved a farm of 200 acres, 160 acres of which is improved. Mr. LEWIS was married, November 8, 1855, to Angeline KYGER. She was born in Lawrence County, Il., and died in October, 1857, aged twenty-one, leaving one daughter, Mary A., now wife of B.A. MOUNTZ. His second marriage took place May 20, 1858, to Appia LAWS. She was born May 10, 1837, in Lawrence County, Il. Three children have been blessed this union, two of which are living, two sons. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Aaron LOESER -- clothing, was born in Germany, March 28, 1838, and is the fourth in a family of eight children born to Lazarus and Betty (MOSES) LOESER, natives of Germany. Lazarus LOESER was reared in his native land, and there married. He was engaged in the grain and live stock business until his death, which took place in 1858. Aaron received a good common school and academic education in Germany. At the age of twenty-eight he engaged in the distilling business, at Frankfort-on-the-Main, and was so employed for sixteen years. In 1880 he emigrated to the United States, and was employed in a clothingstore for one year, and in 1881 he came to Olney, and opened a clothing store. Since then he has been doing an extensive business. He carries a large and well-selected stock of clothing, hats, caps and gents' furnishing goods, amounting to some $10,000. His average annual sales amount to $16,000 or $17,000. Mr. LOESER was married in 1865 to Rosette SPEIER, of Germany. Six children have been born to this union, four of whom are living. Mr. LOESER is very enterprising, and as a general thing succeeds in all his undertakings. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Norman A. LOUGH, attorney, was born in Denver Township, in this county, on October 10, 1852, and is the only surviving child of four who were born to Robert C. and Mary A. (CORTRECHT) LOUGH, natives of the "Old Dominion" and of New York, and of German-Scotch and English-Scotch descent, respectively. Robert C. came to Denver Township, where he entered and bought some 200 acres of wild land, which he improved, and upon which he constructed a log cabin. He still resides upon the place, but has added to the original land until it comprises some 500 or 600 acres, a part of which he has lately sold. From early life he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. Mrs. LOUGH died in 1868, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Normal A. was educated at the common schools of Richland County, and afterwards attended college at Lebanon, Ill., three years, completing the courses in Science and Latin. Until his seventeenth year he was employed most of the time upon the home farm. In 1874 he entered the law office of Judge Horace HAYWARD, of Olney, and in September, 1876, was admitted to the bar, since which time he has been practicing his profession here. For the past two years Mr. LOUGH has been engaged in the harness as wel as the law business. In 1877 he was elected City Attorney for the city of Olney, and was re-elected in 1879. He was married January 9, 1877, to Allie CONKLIN. They have been given one son, Clarence R. They belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. LOUGH is a member of the K. of P., is a Republican, and a very enterprising citizen. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
George LUTZ, undertaker, was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, November 16, 1823, and is the youngest of five children born to John and Margaret (SHAFFER) LUTZ, of German ancestry. John LUTZ was a shoemaker by trade, and followed this for many years. In 1832 he emigrated to the United States, went to Pittsburg, Penn., and followed his vocation for four years. In 1836 he came to Lancaster, Wabash County, in this state, and again followed his trade, farming at the same time. Here his death occurred, in October, 1844. He and his wife belonged to the Lutheran Church. George was educated at the schools of his native land, and also received some instruction in this country. At the age of nine years he went as errand-boy in a store in Pittsburg. When thirteen, his parents took him to Illinois, and here he was employed on his father's farm until his twenty-first year. He then farmed independently for one year, and in 1845 he engaged in the carpenters' trade, at which he was occupied for many years. In August, 1846, Mr. LUTZ came to Olney, and in 1856, in company with H. HAYWARD, erected a furniture factory, under the firm name of LUTZ & HAYWARD. Mr. LUTZ did not, however, abandon his trade, but still worked at carpentering to some extent. In the fall of 1865 he gave up both the manufactory and trade, engaging in the undertaking and furniture business until 1876, when he discontinued the trade in furniture, and is engaged now in the picture and undertaking trade, and is doing a good business. In 1847 or 1848, he was elected on the school board at Olney, and held this position for eight years. He was also Town Trustee for several years, and was elected Alderman immediately after the granting of the town charter. He is now serving his third term as one of the Board of Supervisors, and in 1860 he was the first Republican candidate for Sheriff of Richland County. In November, 1844, he married Winnifred REYNOLDS, of Wabash County, Ill. To them have beengiven seven children, but they have lost four of them. Both Mr. LUTZ and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He belongs to the four Masonic bodies of Olney: A.F. & A.M., R.A.M., R. & S.M. and K.T. In the last named he has been for many years S. B. He is an old settler, and a stanch Republican in politics. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HENRY LATHROP was born May 17, 1817, in Franklin County, Vt., and was the son of Russell and Cynthia (Powell) Lathrop, natives of the same county, June 4,1837. Henry emigrated to Decatur County, Ind., and after a residence there of two years, he bought a pony, saddle and bridle, for which he paid $55, giving his note for $30 in part payment. Having then $3.00 in cash he proceeded to Illinois and located in Lawrence County, and not far from where he now resides. He then secured a position as teacher of a subscription school, and after following this five months he had saved $100, when he returned to Indiana, and after assisting his father to take care of his crop, they rigged up a covered wagon and drove to Lawrence County. His father entered eighty acres and soon after returned to Indiana. Henry bought eighteen rods, on which he built a carding mill. This he ran two years, and traded it for 120 acres, which is part of his present farm. On March 4, 1841, his father returned from Indiana, and built a house on the land he had entered, and there lived several years. Henry's next purchase was eighty seven acres near Claremont, on which he intended erecting a carding mill, but failed to make the necessary arrangements. He continued purchasing from time to time, as his means would allow, and has owned at one time as high as 1,100 acres, and has paid the highest tax of any one in the township. He has given his five sons each a good improved farm of 160 acres, and to his three married daughters each $1,100 in cash, besides he now owns 240 acres with the homestead. His house was built in 1867, and cost about $2,000, and his barn cost about $800. He has been five years Township Supervisor. Mr. Lathrop was married September 1,1844, to Rachel Laws. She was born in Lawrence County, Ill., November 8, 1824. They had ten children, nine of whom are living, Samantha (wife of David M. Roney); Ann (wife of James K. Roney); Elvira (wife of John H. Fee); Albert, Charles, George, Henry, Jr., Gilbert and Martha. Mrs. Lathrop is the daughter of Wm. Laws, Sr., who was born in North Carolina, and emigrated to Lawrence County, Ill., in 1820. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HENRY LATHROP, who carries on farming on section 14, German Township, is one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Richland County, dating his residence here from 1839. A native of the Green Mountain State, he was born in Franklin County, May 14, 1817, and at this writing is seventy-six years of age. His father, Russell Lathrop, was born in Fairfax, Franklin County, Vt., and the grandfather, Elkanah Lathrop, was a native of Connecticut, in which State he lived when the British and Tories burned New London. This atrocious act stirred him deeply and with many others he aided in driving the enemy out of the neighborhood. The Lathrop family, which is of English origin, was established in the Bay State in 1639, and Rev. John Lathrop founded the town of Barnstable, Mass.
Russell Lathrop grew to manhood in Franklin County, Vt., and in Canada, just across the line from his Vermont home. After attaining to man's estate, he returned to Franklin County, and entered the United States service for the War of 1812. On the 12th of January, 1815, after that struggle was at an end, he wedded Cynthia Powell, a native of Hartford, Vt., and a daughter of Rowland and Mary (Janes) Powell, who were born in Massachusetts. The latter was a descendant of Gov. Bradford, one of the first Governors of the Bay State. After his marriage, Russell Lathrop farmed for a number of years in Franklin County, Vt., and then bought land just across the line in Canada, which he operated for a few years. In June, 1837, he removed to Decatur County, Ind., joining a brother who had lived there for some time. He passed four years in that locality, and in 1841 came to Richland County, Ill., where he entered one hundred and sixty acres of land, and after the Mexican War he obtained forty acres on a land warrant, which he received for his services in the War of 1812. He spent the last years of his life with our subject, and died September 3, 1872, at the advanced age of seventy-nine years. He was laid to rest by the side of his wife in Prairieton Cemetery, of Lawrence County, where a substantial monument has been erected to their memory.
The subject of this sketch was a young man of twenty years when, with his parents, he removed to Decatur County, Ind. Soon after he went to work for a cousin, Augustus Lathrop, who was carrying on an extensive business as a merchant in Cross Plains, Ripley County, and who also operated a carding-mill and an oilmill. Our subject was employed in the two mills at first and later worked in a store. In 1839, he bought a small mare and saddle and started Westward, crossing the Wabash River at Vincennes, on the 3d of October. At length he reached Richland County, then Lawrence County, and during the following winter engaged in teaching a subscription school, being one of the pioneer teachers of the county. In the spring of 1840, he returned to Indiana, and joined his father, who had rented the carding-machine, and together they operated it through the summer.
In the following September, they brought the machine to Lawrence County, Ill., and there did business for two years, after which our subject traded it for an eighty-acre farm in Richland County, which he still owns. In the winter of 1840 and 1841, he again engaged in teaching, and on the 10th of September, 1844, located upon his farm, which he began to clear and develop. The lady who presided over his home was in her maidenhood Rachel Laws. She was born in Lawrence County, in 1824, and is a daughter of William Laws, an early settler of that county of 1820. Their marriage was celebrated September 1, 1844, and they began their domestic life upon the farm. During the first years they experienced many of the hardships and privations of frontier life. Mr. Lathrop had a horse but no wagon. His tools and machinery were few. He paid for an ox-team in carpenter work, and thus broke his land, which in course of time began to yield abundant harvests. At length he was enabled to purchase a forty-acre tract adjoining that which he first bought. He also entered one hundred and sixty acres additional. His well-directed efforts soon brought him a handsome competency, and he made judicious investments of his capital, until at one time he owned eleven hundred acres of valuable land. He has since given to each of his live sons a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, and yet retains possession of two hundred and ninety-three acres. The log cabin has been replaced by a commodious and pleasant residence, which is supplemented by good barns and outbuildings. There is also a fine orchard, and all these are surrounded by rich and fertile fields.
Mr. and Mrs. Lathrop had a family of nine children who grew to mature years. Samantha is the wife of David M. Roney, a substantial farmer of German Township; Ann is the wife of James K. Roney, of German Township; Elvira is the widow of John H. Fee, of Lawrence County; Albert is one of the prominent and wealthy farmers of Lawrence County, where he owns five hundred acres of land; Charles is a farmer of German Township; George became a substantial farmer and met his death by accident July 6, 1887; Henry and Gilbert are both agriculturists of Richland County; and Martha is the wife of Aden Cotterell. of German Township. They also lost a daughter, Mary, who died in 1857, aged twenty months.
On attaining his majority, Mr. Lathrop identified himself with the Whig party. On its dissolution, he joined the ranks of the new Republican party, and has since fought under its banner. Although he never solicited office, he has been honored with several positions of public trust. He served for five years as Supervisor of German Township, was a member of the County Board of Supervisors, and a member of the School Board. For over half a century, Mr. Lathrop has resided in Richland County, and has been a witness of its progress and upbuilding. In its development and advancement he has ever borne his part, and the community recognizes in him a valued citizen. His business dealings have been characterized by strict honor. When he came to the county, October 3, 1839, he was the owner of a horse only. Certainly great credit is due him for the signal success that has crowned his efforts, as he has worked his way upward, overcoming the difficulties in his path and the hardships of pioneer life, to a position of wealth and affluence. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.283 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
CAPTAIN E. R. LINDSEY is a native of Clermont County, Ohio, born in November, 1830. He was raised there on a farm. From the time he was sixteen to the time he was nineteen years of age, he worked at the blacksmiths' trade. In 1853 he went to California, but returned to Ohio in 1857, and engaged in farming until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company M, Fifth Missouri Cavalry, and served about one year in that regiment. He was wounded near Grand Junction while on picket duty. After his return from the hospital, he was promoted Captain and transferred to Company G, Seventh Ohio. This company was recruited by Capt.. Ferguson, who resigned on account of physical disability. Capt. Lindsey returned to Ohio in 1864, and engaged in teaming and handling coal. In 1869 he came to Richland County, Ill., and purchased fifty three acres of land, where he now lives. In the spring of 1875 he went to Cincinnati, and was engaged with the Cincinnati Transfer Company, but returned to his farm in the spring of 1883. He held the office of Supervisor from 1871 to 1873; was also Township Treasurer two years.
[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
J. R. LINDSAY is a native of Bonpas Township, Richland Co., Ill. After attending the district schools in his locality, he went to Olney and attended the Normal School there. He now holds four certificates for teaching school, and is at present teaching in District No. 1, Bonpas Township, being now on his second year. His lather, Milton C. Lindsay, served in the late war and died, in 1873, from disease contracted in the army. His mother, Mrs. Benninger, is now a resident of Fairview, this county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]