GEORGE R. OSBURN, farmer, was born in Franklin County, Ind., September 26,1828, is the son of James T. and Ruth (Nelson) Osburn, is the fifth of eleven children, and is of English Welsh descent: The parents came to the territory that now composes Indiana as early as 1801, being among the first settlers of Indiana. The father died in Franklin County, in 1858, and the mother two years previously. The paternal grandfather of our subject was one of the first men in Kentucky, and was accidentally drowned in the Ohio River near the mouth of Big Sandy, about 1796. George R. remained at home and superintended his father's farm until 1867, when he came to Denver Township, Richland County, in this State, and settled where he now lives, and where he now owns 300 acres of good land, which he redeemed from the wild prairie. Mr. Osburn's marriage occurred in 1866, to Martha F. Sutfin, a native. of Franklin County, Ind. They had nine children, all deceased, save one. Mr. Osburn enlisted on January 1, 1862, in Company B, Fifty Second Indiana Infantry, and was discharged on September 10, 1865, at Montgomery, Ala. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Nashville, Mobile and others. He now votes as he shot, in the Republican field. Mr. and Mrs. Osburn are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
O. C. PALMATEER was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, August 22, 1849, and is the sixth of the seven children born to Benjamin and Phebe (JOHNSON) PALMATEER, natives respectively of New York and Ohio, and of French and English extraction. In 1827, when about seventeen years old, Benjamin PALMATEER moved to Guernsey County, and was there married December 1, 1836; he was a carpenter, but for a number of years engaged in flat boating; later he moved to Cumberland, Ohio, was engaged in mercantile pursuits there, was elected Constable, and then began the study of law, which for several years he followed as a profession. In 1851, he moved to Crawford County, Ill., where he worked at carpentering and engaged in farming; in April, 1861, he brought his family to Olney. In Crawford County, he was licensed to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he proclaimed the gospel until his death, December 31, 1873, in his sixty-fourth year. Oris C. PALMATEER, in December 1863, when fourteen years of age, enlisted in Company F, Forty-Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, and took part in the battles of Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta (where he was wounded in the breast), and elsewhere, and also marched with SHERMAN to the Atlantic. After the war, Mr. PALMATEER, was employed with the United States mail service at St. Louis, for a time. In 1866, he returned to Olney and worked at painting and carpentering in the summer, and attended school in the winter, for a number of years; in 1870, he began teaching; in 1875 and 1876, he clerked in Norris City, Ill., and then became local editor of the Olney News; In December 1877, he was appointed Deputy County Clerk; in 1881, he was elected City Clerk, and re-elected in 1883. September 12, 1871, he married Miss Ella L. SHELBY, who bore him three daughters, and died September 4, 1882. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was Mr. PALMATEER. In politics, he is a Republican, although is at present local editor on the Olney Times, the Democratic organ of Richland County, and is one of the enterprising and prominent citizens of the city and county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Charles E. PALMER -- counselor-at-law, is a native of this township, was born October 14, 1859, and is the son of J. F. and M. C. PALMER. His early education was obtained at the common schools, which he attended until the year 1879, which gave him the advantage of a good education. In the autumn of 1881, he made a visit to California, and remained there until the spring of 1882, where he was engaged in various employments, a portion of the time being in a drug store. After his return from California he was elected Township Assessor on the Republican ticket, having to overcome a Democratic majority of forty, which bespeaks his popularity. On his twenty-first birthday he was made a Mason, and is at present secretary of his Lodge, No. 362; he is also a member of the I.O.O.F. In May, 1883, he married Miss Mollie PHILHOWER, a daughter of J. B. PHILHOWER, by which union he became the father of one child, Beulah M. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
CHARLES E. PALMER is the editor and publisher of the Pilot, a weekly newspaper of Noble. He is also a member ofthe real estate firm of Palmer & Co., and in the community where he lives is recognized as one of the mostprominent business men and influential citizens. He was born in the town which is still his home October 14, 1859,and is a son of James F. and Maria C. (Dan bury) Palmer, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Ohio.The paternal grandfather, Jacob A. Palmer, was a native of Connecticut and served as a soldier in the War of 1812.By profession, he was a physician and for many years practiced medicine. In 1867, he came to Illinois, where hisdeath occurred a decade later, at the age of eighty-five years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Polly Stark,was a niece of Gen. Stark, of Revolutionary fame. The maternal grandfather of our subject was William Dan bury.He died of cholera in Williamsburg, Ohio, in middle life.
When a boy James Palmer moved with his parents to Neville, Ohio, and in his youth learned the blacksmith trade.Later he studied medicine and was graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute in 1806. In August of that year,he came to Illinois in search of a location, and determined to make his home in Noble, where he brought his familyin September, the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad being just completed. Dr. Palmer made his home in Noble untilhis death, which occurred February 14, 1893, at the age of sixty-four years and five days, an event mourned bya large circle of friends and acquaintances. He had an extensive practice and was known in almost every familyin this part of the county. He and his wife were for many years members of the Methodist Church, in which he longserved as Steward. He was also a prominent Mason, belonging to Noble Lodge No. 362, A. F. & A. M.; RichlandChapter No. 138, R. A. M.; and Gorin Commandery No. 14, K. T., of Olney.
Dr. and Mrs. Palmer had a family of three sons and one daughter, but one died in infancy. Ebenezer L. married MissMary Flanders; Charles E. is the next younger; and Lillie M. is the wife of Edwin C. Wilson.
Mr. Palmer whose name heads this record has spent his entire life in Noble. On attaining to man's estate, he engagedin the grain business for two or three years, and afterward carried on general merchandising. Subsequently he followedfarming for two years and then embarked in the life-insurance business, traveling in that line as agent throughmany of the Southern States. In 1890, he was elected Supervisor, with a view to investigating the records of thecounty, and was employed as an accountant for about one year. His labors resulted in bringing to light a numberof shortages, amounting to $30,000. When this work was over, he entered the employ of Gibson & Williamson,a fruit firm of Chicago, and traveled through all of the Southern States except Louisiana and Florida.
In May, 1882, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Palmer and Miss Mollie V. Philhower, daughter of Ira P. and Adeline(Smith) Philhower, of Noble. They had two children, Beulah M. and Effie R., but the latter died at the age of fiveand a-half years.
Mr. Palmer is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1892, he was Vice-President of the Farmers' MutualBenefit Association of Illinois, and is the youngest man ever honored by an election to a State office of thissociety. He is a charter member of Eureka Lodge No. 1051, F. M. B. A., and is an untiring worker in the order, having established many societies in this and adjoining counties.Being a fine speaker, his services are in great demand. He also holds membership with Noble Lodge No. 362, A. F.& A. M., and the Eastern Star, and belongs to Noble Lodge No. 482, I. O. O. F. In January, 1893, he formeda partnership with E. L. Palmer, Joseph Palmer and H. Falkener, and opened a real-estate office under the nameof Palmer & Co. These gentlemen also began the publication of the Pilot, a weekly newspaper, of which our subjectis editor. In politics, Mr. Palmer was a Republican until 1889, when he became a Populist. He has been honoredwith many offices of trust. At the age of twenty-one, he was elected Assessor of his township. He served for twoyears as Village Trustee, was Village Treasurer for four years, and for the past two years has been Supervisorof Noble Township, which office he still fills. His public life is above reproach, a fact attested by his manyelections to positions of honor and his long continuance in those offices. Public-spirited and progressive, thecommunity finds in him one of its best citizens, to whom much is due for the progress that Noble has made. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.540 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
J. F. PALMER M.D. was born in Neville, Clermont Co., Ohio, February 9, 1829, and is the sixth of the eleven children of Jacob and Polly (STARK) PALMER, natives of New York. Jacob PALMER was a physician and came to Ohio in 1817, removed to Richland Co. Il., in 1866 and died in 1876, aged eighty-two years, and Mrs. PALMER, August 6, 1883, aged eighty-five years. Our subject received such advantages of instruction as the schools of that day afforded, and began reading medicine in 1852, under Dr. WEAVER, of high repute in Brown County, Ohio, for two years,after which he attended lectures in Cinncinnati, Ohio, and graduated there in 1868, having practiced some years previously. He first praticed in Ohio, then came to Noble, Richland Co., Il., August, 1856, where he has since remained, and is the oldest physician and surgeon in this region, being now associated with his son, Dr. E. L. PALMER, who attended three terms at McKendrie College, and graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Cinncinnati, in 1877, a native of Ohio, born July 13, 1855, and in 1881, in Saint Louis, married Miss Mary E. FLANDERS. Dr. J. F. PALMER, married Miss M.C. DANBURY, a native of Ohio, October 23,1853, a union to which were born four children- E.L., Charles E., Lillie M., and Franklin E.(deceased). Our subject has been Trustee of the township for the past twenty-three years, and for the first twelve years after the incorporation of the town. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
William PARKER -- who is a grain-dealer and farmer residing on section 25, Madison Township, Richland County, is one of the worthy representatives of an honored pioneer family of the community. He was born on the 23rd of March 1840, in Parkersburgh, which placed was named in honor of his grandfather, James PARKER, who settled there in 1818, and afterward platted the village. He became the first Postmaster of the place; and also kept hotel there for many years. The parents of our subject are James H. and Mary (MASON) PARKER. The former was quite a small boy when with his parents he came to Illinois. Here the remainder of his life was passed, and for many years he was one of the most extensive farmers and stock-dealers of the community. A prominent and influential citizen, he served as Sheriff of Richland County for three terms, and also was a member of the convention which framed a proposed constitution for the State. He died April, 1845, and his wife passed away a few years later. In his death the county lost a valued and highly respected citizen. William PARKER attended the district school, and afterward became a student in the seminary at Mt. Carmel. At the age of twenty, he began life for himself as a cattle-herder, and for a number of years past he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, besides dealing in live-stock quite extensively. In company with Mr. ALTHOUSE he bought a sawmill on Sugar Creek Prairie, and a few years later removed it to the village, where it still stands. They converted it into a gristmill, and enlarged and improved it. Mr. PARKER owns two hundred acres of well-improved land, under a high state of cultivation., and deals in grains, and other produce. For a few years he also dealt in general merchandise. His life has been a busy one, and success has come to him as the result of his diligence, perseverance and well directed efforts. On the 31st of October, 1861, Mr. PARKER was united in marriage with Mary C. daughter of Charles T. AGNEW, of Mt. Carmel,Ill, and unto them were born six children: Charles McClellan, deceased; Alta S; Harrison O; Maude F; wife of J.D. FOSTER; William C; and Minnie C. In politics, Mr. PARKER is a Democrat, and a stanch advocate of the principles of his party. Socially, he is a K. T. Mason, belonging to Gorin Commandery of Olney. He is recognized as one of the prosperous and successful business men representation in the history of his native county. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.573 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
A. R. PHILLIPS was born in Richland County, Il., on February 22, 1827, and is the son of Richard and Sarah (LAWRENCE) PHILLIPS. Mr. PHILLIPS is a farmer by occupation. At the age of twenty-three he began farming for himself on eighty-acres of land, for which he paid $500, and by industry and economy he has bought a farm near the old homestead, consisting of 228 acres, for which is under a fine state of cultivation. January 3, 1850, he married Mary C., daughter of Thomas L., and Annie (CHEEK) WEST, who were among the first settlers of the county, having come here in 1826. Mr. WEST served in the war of 1812, and was shot by the Indians in the battle of Tippecanoe. The wound came near proving fatal, and by it he lost part of his tongue and his upper teeth, also receiving a wound in the shoulder. During the war he served under Gen. HARRISON. The latter part of Mr. WEST's life was passed as a Methodist exhorter, and he died December 5, 1849. Mrs. PHILLIPS was born in Gibson County, Ind., May 4, 1823. To Mr. PHILLIPS and wife have been born the following children -- McKendree(deceased), Sarah E., (deceased), Albert M., Elizabeth A.,(deceased), Ida J., Edwin A., Allison T., and Ina C. The parents are both members of the Methodist Church. Mr. PHILLIPS having joined the church at the age of sixteen, they are highly respected in the community they live. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
T. G. PHILLIPS was born in White County, Tenn., November 24, 1815, and is the son of Richard and Sarah (LAWRENCE) PHILLIPS, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother of Tennessee. In 1826, they moved to Richland County, Il., and settled on now what is known as "Calhoun Prairie". Their children were --Thomas, James Nancy (deceased), John (deceased), Matilda, William, Austin, David (deceased), Polly, Lucreitta (deceased). Our subject at the age of twenty-one years of age, began life for himself, working on land entered from the Government. After years of hardship and toil, he has accummalted a fine farm consisting of 172 acres. On December 9, 1840, he married Margaret, daughter of George and Jane (HAWKINS) McWILLIAMS. She was a native of Guernsey County, Ohio and was born on August 22, 1823. She was a devoted wife and mother and a member of the Methodist Church until her death, which took place, December 8, 1876. To them were born -- Martin L., Lavina, Thomas, James, Ettie J., and John R. Mr. PHILLIPS joined the Methodist Church at the age of twenty years, and is still a member. He is a highly esteemed man and a Republican. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
S. A. POWELL was born on July 11, 1819, in Richford, Vt., and was the son of Horace POWELL, also a native of Vermont. He followed the trade of carpenter, and also that of farming, and in 1840 the family removed to Hambden County, Mass. After a residence there of about ten years, they removed to Schoharie County, N.Y., and in 1854, the subject of this sketch came to Richland County, and settled on this farm. His first purchase was eighty acres, where he now lives, and he at once commenced improving this land, and as his means would allow, bought other lands in addition. He now owns 240 acres, largely improved. He was married April 16, 1825, in Sharon, N.Y.. This union has been blessed with four children -- Dewitt P., Clarissa M., and Charles J. Henry died in 1867, in his sixteenth year. Mr. POWELL has been Overseer of the Poor two years. His son Dewitt P., has been for the past two years, Postmaster at Amity.[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN PEER was born January 20,1834, in Richland County, Ohio, and at the age of five years came with his parents to Richland County, Illinois. They settled in the locality where the subject of this sketch now resides. His father died September 7, 1859, aged forty six years and three months. On the breaking out of the war John Peer enlisted in Company E, Eleventh Missouri Infantry, and served about eighteen months. He then returned to the farm which he owns, consisting of 120 acres, and where he has since resided. Mr. Peer has held the office of Constable seven years, and school director fourteen years. He was married in 1860 to Elizabeth Stockwell, who was born January 28, 1836, in Jasper County, Illinois. They have four children, one son and three daughters, having lost Winfield S., in infancy. Mr. Peer's mother died July 12, 1871, aged sixty-eight years and three months. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN F. PERRY was born December 24, 1831, in Wayne County, Ohio, and in 1838 came with his parents to Richland County, Ill. His father, John Perry, died December, 1843, aged forty six years. John F. enlisted in 1861 in Company E, Eleventh Missouri Infantry, and was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and mustered out in January of 1866. He was wounded at the battle of Iuka, Miss. Mr. Perry after being mustered out returned to this farm which he owns, consisting of 150 acres, mostly improved. He was married in 1854 to Charity Stockwell. She was born in Kentucky. Mr. Perry's mother died in 1882, aged seventy-seven years. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN F. PERRY, a well-known farmer and one of the honored pioneers of Richland County, who has made his home here since 1838, is now living on section 19, Claremont Township. He is one of the worthy citizens that Ohio has furnished this community, his birth having occurred in Wayne County of the Buckeye State December 24, 1831. His father, John Perry, was a native of New York, and when a young man emigrated Westward, taking up his residence in Ohio, where he met and married Miss Rachel Floyd, a native of Delaware. Her father, John Floyd: had settled in Wayne County when it was on the Western frontier. The year 1838 witnessed the removal of Mr. Perry and his family to Illinois, and in Richland County he entered and purchased land, from which he developed the farm where our subject now resides. He was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, however, for his death occurred the following year. Mrs. Perry afterwards married again. She died in 1882, at the advanced age of seventy-seven.
In the Perry family were two sons and three daughters, who arrived at years of maturity. The eldest, Elizabeth, is the wife of Jesse Stockwell, of Jasper County; Fletcher is now deceased; John F. is the next younger; Mary J. is the wife of Isaac Simons, of Richland County; and Catherine is the wife of Isaac Fritschle.
Our subject was only seven years of age when with his parents he came to the West. He spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon the farm where ho now resides, and after his mother's second marriage lived for a few years in Clay County. His school privileges were quite limited, and since attaining to man's estate he has acquired the greater part of his education, becoming a well-informed man. Not long after the breaking out of the late war, prompted by patriotic impulses, he donned the blue, and in July, 1861, joined the Eleventh Missouri Infantry. When his first term of three years had expired, he veteranized and served until the close of the war, receiving his discharge in January, 1866. He enlisted as a private, but was promoted to the rank of Second Lieutenant. He participated in the important battles of Iuka, the siege of Corinth and Nashville, and was wounded at Iuka by a gunshot in the right leg. He was always found at his post, faithful in the discharge of his duty.
When the country no longer needed his services, Mr. Perry was mustered out in St. Louis, and returned to the homestead, of which he soon after took charge. He was married in 1854 to Miss Charity Stockwell, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Michael Stockwell, one of the early settlers of Jasper County, Ill. Since locating on the home farm he has bought out the other heirs, has erected a pleasant residence, built good barns and other outbuildings, set out an orchard, and to-day has one of the most valuable and desirable farms of Claremont Township.
Mr. Perry cast his first vote for Millard Fillmore, but since war times has been a stanch advocate of the Republican party and its principles. He has held several local offices of honor and trust, including those of Commissioner of Highways and Justice of the Peace. Socially, he is a member of Calhoun Grand Army Post. He and his wife hold membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is Steward. They have no children of their own, but reared an adopted son, George Thompson Perry, whom they took in infancy. He is now grown and married and resides upon a farm in this county. The kindness that led them to give shelter to the homeless little one has made them friends to the poor and needy, and has characterized their entire lives, so that their many good acts have won for them the love and respect of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Perry has resided in the county since 1838, has therefore witnessed almost its entire growth and development, and is numbered among its honored pioneers. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.439 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
FLETCHER T. PHILLIPS, druggist, was born in Preston Township, in this county, March 3, 1853, and is the third of eight children born to Thomas Gr. and Margaret (McWilliams) Phillips, natives respectively of White County, Tenn., and of Ohio, and of Welsh and Irish ancestry. Of the family, six children are living. Thomas Gr. came with his parents at ten years of age, in 1825, to Calhoun Prairie, in territory which is now Richland County, Ill., then an unbroken wilderness. At that time, ten or twelve families were all who lived in the present county. He was educated in rude log schoolhouses, and assisted on his father's farm until twenty one years of age. In 1842, he entered 200 acres of land in Preston Township, and erected a log cabin and improved a farm upon which he still resides. In about 1849 or 1850, he built the first frame house in the township, the weather boarding for which was split with a froe, there being no saw mills in the country. Both he and wife are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Fletcher T. received a good common education at the schools of his native county, and worked at farming until the age of twenty, when he taught awhile, and afterward attended McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill. He passed the examinations of the Freshman and Sophomore, beginning at the Junior year. His education was acquired by his own industry alone. After leaving college, Mr. Phillips taught school in this county four winters, reading medicine at his leisure hours, and during the summer following agriculture. In the spring of 1880, he purchased the half interest in a drug store at Olney, in company with Mr. Herron; the business being carried on under the firm name of Herron & Phillips. In January, 1882, Mr. Herron retired; since which time Mr. Phillips has conducted the business alone, and the place is known as the "City Drug Store." He has also dealt in musical instruments for the past nine years, and has been very successful, having sold some sixty organs and pianos during the first six months of 1883. On June 1, 1876, Mr. Phillips was joined in matrimony to Jennette, daughter of John Elliot, of Olney, They have been given two daughters, Margaret Gr. and Anna M. Mr. Phillips does not belong to the church. He is a member of the K. of P., of the I. O. O. F. ,and is a Republican. He is an enterprising and prominent business man.
MORTIMER PHILLIPS, pioneer of Denver Township, was born in West Virginia, July 30, 1830, is the son of William and Mehetable (Grould) Phillips, is the fourth of twelve children, and is of Scotch extraction. His parents were born in Massachusetts, but when young, emigrated with their parents to West Virginia, where the paternal grandfather of Mortimer Phillips died at about one hundred years of age. His father died there in 1860, and mother about ten years later. Our subject remained at home until his twenty first year, and worked for his father, having the privilege of attending school a few days during each winter. Mortimer was married in 1853 to Lydia (Lough) Douthit. They had seven children. Mrs. Phillips died in 1875, and our subject was married in the same year to Ellen Clark. They have six children. In 1852 Mr. Phillips came to Richland County, and settled where he now lives, entering at the time eighty acres of land. Mr. Phillips enlisted on November 1, 1861, in Company H, Twenty Sixth Illinois Infantry, took part in many battles, and was discharged on July 20,1865. He and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he has been identified for thirty years. He is a Republican, and has been Clerk of this township for eight years. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
FINNEY D. PRESTON, County Judge of Richland County, was born in Wabash County, Ill., August 12. 1820. His father, Joseph Preston, a native of Pennsylvania, settled in Ohio, near Cincinnati, in 1811, but in the fall of 1815 removed with his family to Illinois and located on the farm where our subject was afterward born. His mother was Abigail Finney, daughter of E. W. Finney who came from near Albany, N. Y., and settled with his family seven miles north of Cincinnati, in 1800. The former died in 1830 and the latter in 1847. Finney D. Preston worked on a farm until 1839, then served a time at blacksmithing, at Mount Carmel; subsequently he taught school; in 1844, he was elected Engrossing and Enrolling Clerk of the Illinois House of Representatives; in 1846, he was chosen Clerk of the Senate; in 1848, he was elected Clerk of the Supreme Court of the Southern District of Illinois; he then read law and was admitted to practice in the spring of 1853. That year he resigned his office and came to Olney, where he still resides. From this county he has twice been elected to the Lower House of the Legislature, and has since served as Secretary to the Senate; in 1857, he was appointed Mail Agent for the Northwestern States, and filled the office two years; he next served as Secretary of the State Senate, and then filled the post of State's Attorney continuously until 1876, excepting from September, 1852, until July, 1865, when he was in the Federal army, on the staff of Gen. Wilder. He then practiced law for several years, at Olney. In 1846, he married Phebe, daughter of Samuel Mundy. In 1878, he was elected County Judge, which position he now holds. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
DOUGLASS A. PRESTON, State's Attorney, was born in Olney, December 19, 1856. In early life he received a good education, and in January, 1876, went into his father's law office for the purpose of preparing for the profession. Douglass A. remained in the office until the month of January, 1878, when he was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Illinois. Being of an independent spirit, on his return home, he opened a law office on his own account. Soon after the establishment of his office, in 1880, Mr. Preston became a candidate for State's Attorney, before the Democratic primary election, and was nominated over his opponent, G. M. Longenecker, and was elected by over 600 majority. On March 24, 1880, Mr. Preston was married to Florence B. Rhode. He is a popular lawyer and a rising young man of whom the county may well be proud. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
DOUGLAS A. PRESTON, attorney; attorney general of Wyoming; (Democrat); born December 19, 1858, Olney, Richland county, Illinois; son of Finney D. and Phoebe (Mundy) Preston. Mr. Preston was educated in the public schools of Olney and then entered his father's law office as a law student. In 1878 he was admitted to practice in the Illinois courts and practiced there until 1887, when he removed to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and became a clerk in the office of the Wyoming attorney general. Later in the same year he associated himself in the general practice of law with John R. Dixon (now of Denver) and established an office in Rawlins, Wyoming. He remained there during 1887 and 1888, and then removed to Lander, where he was in the general practice from 1888 until 1895, when he removed to Rock Springs, Wyo., actively practicing there until 1912. Mr. Preston has always been active in Democratic politics, but supported J. M. Carey, Progressive Republican, for governor in 1910. His law specialty is criminal practice. He has held numerous elective and appointive offices. He was prosecuting attorney of Richland county, Illinois, from 1880 until 1884. After coming to Wyoming, he was a member of the Wyoming Constitutional convention, 1889, and a member of the Wyoming House of Representatives from 1903 until 1905. He was appointed as attorney general for Wyoming by Governor Carey in 1911 and was re-appointed to the same position by Governor J. B. Kendrick in 1915. His term expires in 1919. Mr. Preston is a member of the Grand Lodge of Elks. His home is in Rock Springs. Address: Cheyenne, Wyoming. [Source: "Men of Wyoming...", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915;- Tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
CAPTAIN WILLIAM T. PRUNTY was born near Bardstown, Nelson Co., Ky., August 17, 1838, and is the eldest of seven children born to Robert M. and Ann (Heavenhill) Prunty, Kentuckians, of Irish and German Irish descent, respectively. Robert M. was educated and married in Kentucky, learned the wheelwright trade and followed it there until his death in 1855. He belonged to the Masonic Fraternity. William T. received a fair education, and from twelve to sixteen years dwelt with his grandfather on a farm. He then accompanied an uncle to Mississippi, where he followed the stock business two years. In 1857 Mr. Prunty came to Grayville, Ill., and was salesman for some six years. In August, 1862 he assisted in recruiting Company B, Eighty Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned First Lieutenant of the company. Lieut. Prunty was made Captain in December, 1863, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out with the regiment at Helena, Ark.., June 16, 1865. From June, 1864, until February, 1865, Capt. Prunty acted as Assistant Inspector General on the staff of Gen. E. J. Davis. After the war our subject was traveling salesman for a wholesale Cincinnati house, until February, 1877, at which period he came to Olney, and engaged in the retail hardware trade with a partner, under the firm name of Prunty & Jolly, until February, 1883, when he abandoned the business on account of failing health. He has recently received an appointment in the United States Marshal's office, at Springfield, III. He has been City Clerk at Grayville for two or three years, and Mayor of Olney from April, 1881, to April, 1883. He belongs to the society of the Army of the Tennessee, and to Olney Post, No. 92, Gr. A. R., and has just represented his Post in the Department Encampment at Decatur, Ill. He is a Republican. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]