Adam SCHERER was born in Germany on May 22, 1832, and is the son of John A. and Louisa (KETRING) SCHERER, who emmigrated to Ohio in 1836, and settled in Stark County, where they lived four years, and in 1840 came to Richland County, Ill.,and bought seventy acres of unimproved land, and by hard work and economy they owned at their father's death, in 1870, 500 acres of well improved land. Adam began life for himself in 1854, and he has a fine farm of 400 acres, with good buildings and farm well improved. In 1854, he married Annie VON ALLMAN,who was born in Switzerland, in 1833, and died in 1863. Two children were born to them -- Elizabeth and John F. In 1864, Mr. SCHERER married Elizabeth DIETRICK, who was born in Switzerland, in 1843. Five children have been born to them -- Annie, Henry, Thomas, John A., and Robert. Mr. SCHERER and family are members of the Reformed Church, and Mr. SCHERER is a Democrat. Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
J. SLATE - of the firm of SLATE & FAY, general merchants, is a native of Massachusetts, and a son of Henry and Sylvia (HALE) SLATE, also natives of Massachusetts. Henry SLATE was a farmer, and lived on the homestead which had been in the family 125 years. Grandfather SLATE was a Revolutionary soldier. Henry SLATE is yet living on the family farm, aged seventy-one years, where his wife died in 1849. Our subject had a regular course of study, and graduated at Powers' Institute, in his native state, in 1862, after which he became a teacher in the East, and later tought six months in Warren County, and six months in Richland County, Il. In 1871, in Cinncinnati, he married Miss Clara L., daughter of L. FAY, a Baptist minister, and a native of Athol, Mass.; this union was graced by three children -- Fay, Ernest and Bertha. Mr. SLATE commenced his business in 1878; the farm carries a stock of $10,000, the trade ranging from $35,000 to $50,000 a year. Mr. SLATE has served as Supervisor, Collector, Postmaster and Trustee. He is a member of the Town Council, of the I.O.O.F., and he and his wife belong to the Baptist Church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Amos SNIVELY was born in Richland County, Ohio. When he was three years old his parents came to Richland County, IL, and in 1843 his father entered eighty acres, where the homestead now is. In 1838, he had visited the same region and located 160 acres. At the time of his death he owned 450 acres, 240 of which were under cultivation. His death occured June 22, 1883, at the age of eighty-one years. Amos, the subject of this sketch , enlisted in 1862 in Company B, Ninety-Eighth Illinois Mounted Infantry, and served to the close of the war. In 1868, he was married to Sarah E. PARKER, of Madison Township. Three children, two sons and a daughter have been born to them. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Dr. J. P. SOLISS was born in De Witt, Clinton Co, Iowa, December 10, 1848, and lived there with his parents until he was fifteen years of age, when he went to Johnson County, Nebraska, afterward attending the State Normal School at Peru three years. He then studied medicine with Dr. M. C. ROE, of Beatrice, three years. He then entered the Eclectic Medical College in Cinncinnati from which institution he graduated in 1874, after two years study. He at once settled in Calhoun, Richland Co, where he is successfully practicing his profession. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
John SONNER - farmer and fruit grower, was born in Highland County, Ohio, May 6, 1826, is the son of Jacob and Christina (AMBROSE) SONNER, is the third in a family of six children, and is of the German descent. The parents of Mr. SONNER, were born in Virgina. They emigrated to Highland County, Ohio, in childhood, and were among the pioneers of that county. His grandfather SONNER was a sodier in the Revolutionary war, and drew a pension until his death. the parents of Mr. SONNER died in Highland County, Ohio, at a ripe old age. The subject of our notice remained at home and worked for his father until he was twenty-six years of age. He was married, March 30, 1851, to Miss Amelia CALEY, daughter of Frederick and Mary CALEY, natives of Virginia. To this marriage have been born eight children- Allen M., William F., Sarah L., Levi, Emma R., John C., Ada S., and Cora E. In 1855, Mr. SONNER came to Decker Township and settled four miles southeast of Noble, and here has since lived. He first bought 101 acres, but now owns 290 acres of well-improved land. Mr. SONNER has made a specialty of growing fruit for many years. His apple orchard contains forty-nine acres, and is one of the finest in Richland County. He has made his own way through life, and by hard labor, energy, and economy, he has been successful. He is a thorough Republican. Mr. and Mrs. SONNER are members of the United Brethern Church, and their ancestors were among the founders of that church. He is a prominent farmer and an influential citizen, and is one of the early settlers of Decker Township. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN SONNER, one of the early settlers of Richland County and a leading and influential farmer residing on section 3, Decker Township, was born in 1827 in Highland County, Ohio. His paternal grandfather, Anthony Sonner, emigratedfrom Germany to America in Colonial days, and aided the Colonies in their struggle for independence, after which he received a pension in recognition of his faithful service. He died in Ohio. The father of our subject was born in the Buckeye State, and after attaining to mature years entered land, from which he developed and improved a good farm. He married Tena Ambrose, also of German descent and the daughter of a Revolutionary hero, who locatedin an early day in Woodstock, Va. Mr. Sonner ran a large mill and brought to Ohio the first engine used in thatState. His family and his wife's people were all prominent workers in the United Brethren Church, and the parentsof our subject labored earnestly in the cause of Christianity. Mr. Sonner was a man of excellent business abilityand became quite wealthy.
Our subject is the third in a family of six sons and two daughters, including William of Highland County, Ohio;George, of Indiana; Anthony, a miller of Pike County, Ill.; Betsy, wife of Dr. Sanderson, of Noble; Isaac, a soldierof the late war, now living in Highland County; Rachel, wife of Dr. Palmer, of Wakefield, Ill.; and Mathias, wholives near Macon, Mo. He was also one of the "boys in blue" and served throughout the struggle.
The boyhood and youth of our subject were spent upon his father's farm and in the mill. He was early inured tohard labor, and since quite young has made his own way in the world. At the age of twelve he drove a four-horseteam, used in hauling flour. He remained at home until twenty-six years of age, when he carne West by way of theOhio River to Evansville, Ind., then by rail to Vincennes, and on by team until reaching his destination in RichlandCounty. This was in 1859. Purchasing his present farm, he obtained possession of one hundred acres of land, uponwhich was a log cabin, that still stands near his present handsome residence as a remnant of the frontier life.Success crowned his efforts, and as his financial resources increased he added to his farm until he now owns twohundred and ninety acres. He has also given considerable land to his three sons. He was one of the first to embarkin fruit-growing in this locality.
When twenty-four years of age, Mr. Sonner. married Amelia Kaley, who was born in Highland County, Ohio, and isof German descent. Five children grace their union. Frank and Levi are both farming in this neighborhood; Rachelis the wife of M. L. Taylor; John is an agriculturist of the community; and Cora is still under the parental roof.The family is one widely and favorably known in this community. The parents belong to the United Brethren Churchand were largely instrumental in building the house of worship in Pleasant View. Mr. Sonner is now serving as Trustee,and both he and his wife have been active in Sunday-school work. In 1848 our subject voted for Lewis Cass, andwas a Democrat until 1861, when he supported Lincoln. Since that time he has been a loyal Republican and does allin his power to insure the success of his party. Charitable and benevolent, he gives freely of all his means toworthy enterprises, and his well-spent and honorable .life is. worthy of emulation.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.294 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
Jacob SOTZEN was born April 15, 1823, in Switzerland. His childhood was spent there upon a farm and in the spring of 1844, he came to America, locating in Richland County, and entered eighty acres of land. He now owns 230 acres of land, 130 of which is well improved. His house cost $1,200, and barn and other out-buildings $550. In the spring of 1849, Mr. SOTZEN was married to Susan ELLSWORTH, of Indiana. Six children, five sons, and a daughter have been born to them.
[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JACOB SOTZEN, one of the progressive and enterprising farmers of Richland County, residing on section 11,Madison Township, is a native of Switzerland. He was born near the town of Sissel, in the canton of Basel, April15, 1823, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Emhof) Sotzen. The father was a tailor by trade, and followed thatbusiness for a number of years, but later in life he engaged in farming. His three children are all now living in America. Elizabeth, the eldest, is the wife of J. Sutler, of New Washington, Ohio. Jacob is the second in order of birth; and Henry is now a merchant tailor of Shelby, Ohio.
Jacob Sotzen, whose name heads this record, acquired a good education in the common schools, and spent his boyhooddays upon his father's farm, no event of special importance occurring during that time. On attaining to man's estate,he left the parental roof for America. He had resolved to try his fortunes in the New World, and taking passageon a sailing-vessel at Havre, France, he crossed the broad Atlantic to New York, where he arrived after a voyageof thirty-six days. During the passage the vessel encountered a severe storm, which lasted about forty-eight hoursand nearly caused a shipwreck. From New York City, Mr. Sotzen made his way to Shelby, Ohio, by way of Albany, Buffalo and Huron, and there remained until the autumn of 1845, when he came to Richland County, Ill. He drove a team tothis place, bringing a load of goods for a neighbor.
Soon after his arrival, Mr. Sotzen entered eighty acres of land where he now resides and traded his wagon for forty acres additional. It was all wild prairie, upon which not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made, but he at once began its development and as rapidly as his means would allow he made improvements upon the place. Hisfirst home was a small log cabin, but about 1871 it was replaced by his present substantial residence, a very neatand comfortable dwelling. A good barn was built in 1853, and additions have been made to it from time to time,until it is now a large structure, 50x62 feet.
On the 8th of February, 1849 our subject was united in marriage with Miss Susan Ellingsworth, of Olney, who was born in Terre Haute, Ind. They became the parents of eight children: Sarah, who died in infancy; Thomas H., whokeeps an apartment house in Tacoma, Wash.; John, now an engineer of New Harmony, Ind.; Miles, a farmer of Missouri;Mary, who died at the age of nine years; George, who is keeping a boarding house in Elm, Wash.; Franklin, a residentfarmer of Richland County; and Lillie B., wife of J. Hopper, of Browns, Ill.
On attaining his majority, Mr. Sotzen identified himself with the Whig party, and cast his first Presidential vote for Zachary Taylor, but on the organization of the Republican party he joined its ranks, and has since been one of its supporters. For six years he acceptably filled the office of Highway Commissioner, and he has held other local offices, the duties of which he has ever discharged with promptness and fidelity. Himself and family aremembers of the Presbyterian Church, with which he has been connected many years. Mr. Sotzen has led an honorable, upright life, one well worthy of emulation, and he has therefore gained the high regard of all with whom businessor social interests have brought him in contact. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.557 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
William A. STARTSMAN -- confectioner, was born in Olney, Il, on September 7, 1862, and is the oldest of three children born to Luther M. and Sarah R. (McWILLIAMS) STARTSMAN, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Ohio. They were of German-Scottish descent respectively. When a young man, Luther M. STARTSMAN came to Olney, Richland Co., Il, where he was married and was engaged in the manufacture of furniture for many years. At the breaking out of the late civil war, he recruited Company D, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, of which company he was chose captain. He served with this regiment in all its marches and engagements until the fall of 1864, when he resigned on account of failing health. After his return from the army he resumed the furniture business at Olney, continuing the same until 1869, when he removed to Missouri, and from thence to Kansas where he resided til his death, which occured in October 1873. William A. STARTSMAN, the subject, received a fair education in the common and graded schools of his city. At the age of fourteen, he went into a drugstore, at Olney, a salesman, remaining two and a half years. After this he was employed as book-keeper in an agricultural store for about one year. In 1880, he returned to Olney, and engaged in the music business, but continued it only a few months. In June, 1883, he opened a confectionery and ice cream parlor, on Main street, in company with George D. JOHNSTONE and George F. WISSHACH, under the firm name- JOHNSTONE & Co. Theirs is one of the finest establishments of the kind in southern Illinois, and they are doing a flourishing business. They are also extensively engaged in the sale of all kinds of musical instruments. During the first eight months of 1883, they sold over one-hundred pianos and organs. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
William STEWARD was born February 8, 1813, in Gibson County., Ind, and at the age of ten, came with his parents to Lawrence (now Richland) County, and settled two miles east of Olney; there he lived on his father's farm till his marriage in 1834, to Priscilla BULLARD, also born in Gibson County, Ind., they then moved to their present farm of 130 acres, where they have ever since lived, and which place is one of the old landmarks of this locality. They have a family of three children -- Mary M., Lucinda, and James C. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
D. S. STIFF was born December 22, 1822, in Sussex County, N.J., and at about the age of thirteen came with his parents to Perry County, Ohio, where his father died in 1848, aged sixty-two years. In 1851, the subject of this sketch, came to Richland County. He lived on a rented farm two years, and in 1853, he bought forty acres of land, adding other lands by purchase of his means would allow. He now owns a farm of ninety acres, which is improved. He has a very comfortable house built in 1883, and which cost about $800, and his barn built in 1876, cost about $500. He has also an orchard of about two acres, and otherwise pleasant surroundings. Mr. STIFF has held the office of Constable about seven years, and School Director about twelve years. He was married January 28, 1844, to Sarah STOLTZ. She was born in Fairfield County, Ohio. They have seven children, three sons and four daughters. Lewis M. and William W. served in the late war. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
Samuel STOLTZ was born April 10, 1835, in Richland County, and was the son of Samuel STOLTZ, who was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Lawrence County, in 1846, and removed to the Stringtown Road in 1826, where he died in 1852, aged sixty-three. Samuel Jr. was bought up on his father's farm, and enlisted in 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Infantry. He served to the end of the war, and participated in the battle of Fort Gibson, Champion Hill, Black River and siege of Vicksburg; there they fought forty-seven days and nights, and Mr. STOLTZ was taken captive April 8, 1864, at the Sabine Cross Roads, and held a prisoner of war at Tyler, Texas, till the close of the struggle; he then returned and here engaged in farming ever since. In 1854, he bought forty acres of land, which he went in debt for, but he now owns 311 acres, which is improved; he built a house and barn, which cost about $1300, and other improvements. Mr. STOLTZ married, in 1854, Susan GILLASPIE. She was born in Indiana. They have five children-four sons and one daughter. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
MATTHEW M. ST. JOHN, farmer, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, December 25, 1826, and is the second of the six children born to Samuel and Sophia (Snell-McClain) St. John, natives of Orange County, N. Y., and of French and Scotch English descent respectively. The ancestors of both were early Puritan colonists at Boston, Mass., and some of them were hearty participants in the Revolutionary war. One branch settled in Pennsylvania and were nearly exterminated at the Wyoming massacre. Samuel was educated in his native State, and in 1816, removed to Brookville, Franklin Co., Ind., descending the Allegheny and Ohio rivers on a raft. He married here, and in about 1825 removed to Cincinnati. In 1827 he returned to Franklin County, bought a tract of wild land, built a cabin, and finally sold his farm, in 1832, went to Brookville one year and in 1833 moved to Marion Township. Here he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1837, he went to Johnson County, Ind., and lived upon a farm until 1848, then removed to Olney and lived here until his death, on July 19, 1855. Mrs. St. John died June 28, 1851. Matthew M. was poorly educated, in the log school houses of Indiana, and worked on his father's farm until his nineteenth year, when he went to the West on horseback and alone. He arrived here in 1846, and has lived in this place ever since. He worked for his board and schooling, then engaged in stock raising and trapping. In 1848 he leased eighty acres, on a part of which the Olney Driving Park is now situated, and afterward bought the same. He has lived upon this place ever since, but has added more land from time to time until his farm consists of 1,200 acres, in Jasper and this county. He also owns valuable residence property in this city. From 1854 to 1861, he was traveling purchasing agent for the American Fur Company, in Southern Illinois. From 1859 to 1868, he was engaged in butchering, and also in shipping stock, and for the past six years in the pump business. He has served two years as Sheriff of the county, having been elected in 1868, and was Marshal of the city. He also followed the livery business. Mr. St. John has been married three times. On March 21, 1847, he married Phenicia Cobleigh, of Vermont. To this union succeeded one daughter, Emeline (now Mrs. George Glossbrenner), Mrs. St. John died August 25, 1855, and Mr. St John married, on October 23,1856, Emeline D. Cralle, of Posey County, Ind. Three children were born to them, of whom one, Mary (Fleming), is living. Mrs. St. John died May 27, 1863. For his third wife Mr. St. John married Mariah L. Cralle, also of Posey County, on April 10, 1864. Five children bless the last union. He is a member of all the Masonic bodies in Olney, viz.: A. F. & A. M., R. A. M., R. & S. M., and K. T. Our subject is a brother of Gov. J. P. St. John, of Kansas, and his mother was second cousin to John Q. Adams. Mr. St. John is a Republican, an old settler, and a respected citizen of the county.
[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HENRY C. SANDS, breeder and trainer of trotting and pacing horses, and owner of "Meadow Brook" stock and training farm, near Olney, was born in Lawrence County, Ill., October 31, 1848, and is the elder of two living children born to Elbert and Susan A. (Gadd) Sands, natives of Long Island, N. Y., and Maryland, respectively, and of Scotch and English descent. Elbert and his brother were showmen when very young, being acrobats and wire walkers, and Elbert was engaged in various companies for more than twenty years. Mr. Sands was the first bareback rider in the United States. He retired in 1843, and was engaged in farming until 1860, then went to New York City, and followed the real estate business. In 1865 he came to Olney, and followed the same until 1880, at which time he retired from business, but still lives here. Henry C. graduated from the New York Academy, in 1866. In 1863 he was employed in the United States secret service for two or three months, and was stationed then at Richmond, Va. During the last of his academic course Mr. Sands read law with Judge Cardja and J. J. Morrin, of New York City. In 1866 he came to Olney, studied for a time, and in 1869 was admitted to practice law. He practiced here until 1875, when he began his present business, and breeds fine horses very extensively. In 1879 he bought the " Meadow Brook" stock and training farm, and now owns some thirty or more of the finest bred Hambletonian and Mambrino trotters in southern Illinois. Mr. Sands married, in 1875, Amelia T. Hoover, of Olney, Ill. They have had four children, of whom three, two sons and a daughter, survive. Mr. Sands belongs to the K. of P., the I. O. O. F. and the Democratic party. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
AMBROSE SCHNEIDER, book-keeper, was born in German Township, Richland Co., Ill., January 12, 1851, and is the second of six living children born to Joseph and Theresa Schneider, of German ancestry. Joseph was reared and married in Germany, and followed agriculture. In about 1847 or 1848 he came to the United States, settling at the place of our subject's birth. In 1853 he went to Saint Marie, Jasper County, and followed the brewery business until 1878, when Ambrose took charge of the brewery for two years. Joseph, the father, was in mercantile trade and saloon. In August, 1882, he visited Germany, and returned in March, 1883, to Saint Marie, and is now a grocer. He is a member of the Catholic Church. Ambrose received a good common school and academic education, and in 1874 he engaged in the saloon business at Saint Marie for one year. He then came to Olney, and was railroading for a time. In February, 1877, he was engaged by Scott & Brockman as salesman, and then as book-keeper, which position he still holds. Mr. Schneider was a tax collector three terms in Jasper County and two in Richland. He was married in October, 1874, to Anna B. Brockman, who died on January 16, 1876, leaving one child, Edith L., and departing in the Catholic faith. In October, 1878, Mr. Schneider married Caroline Brockman, sister of his first wife. Two children bless this union, Anna and Caroline. Mr. and Mrs. Schneider are faithful communicants of the Catholic Church. He belongs to Olney Branch, No. 173, C. K. of A., being one of the first members. He belonged originally to Branch No. 50, at Trenton, Ill. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
G. SCHNEPPER was born in Baden-Baden, Germany, March 26,1836. He served in the war in 1848-49, in his native country, and was in many of the hardest fought battles. In 1854 he came to America, and first settled at Evansville, Ind., where he remained two years. In 1858 he moved to Clay County, Ill., where he began farming, and by hard work he has come in possession of a fine farm of 200 acres in that county, and forty acres in Jasper County, although he has at times worked for wages as low as thirty cents per day. He married, in his native country, Anna A. Martin, born in 1838 ; she died at Lanesville, Ind., in 1860 ; she was the mother of four children, Frederick, John, Elizabeth and Gottfried (deceased). He next married, in 1862, Margaret Rhuppert, born in Germany, in 1838. By this union there were born six children, Charles, Barbara, Louis, Henry, Lena and Maggie. Mr. Schnepper is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lodge 162, at Noble ; also of Olney Lodge, 141, of Masonry, and in politics he is a Democrat. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN SCHWEBEL, farmer, was born August 28, 1838, in Prussia, and there he followed teaming; in 1858 he came to New Jersey, there worked at the blacksmiths' trade, and in 1861 he moved to Olney, following his trade about four years, and then opened a grocery, and, with the exception of six years, continued this business till 1883, when he sold out and moved to a farm which he owns, consisting of seventy four acres, which joins the corporation. He also owns two store buildings in Olney. He was married, in 1861, to Minnie Bohren, who was born in Switzerland, and at the age of eleven she came with her parents to Richland County. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
DAVID SCOTT, Mayor of Olney, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, February 7, 1833, and is one of nine children born to James and Jane (Lyster) Scott, both natives of Ireland. James Scott was educated and married in his native land, where he learned the carriage makers' trade, and followed the same until 1847, when he emigrated to the United States, first settling in New York City, where he was employed at his trade until the fall of 1850, when he removed to Terre Haute, Ind. Here he continued to follow his trade until his death, which occurred in 1857. He was a member of the Congregational Church, and was also a prominent member of the Masonic Fraternity, having advanced to the degree of Knight Templar. David Scott received a fair education in Ireland. Soon after the arrival of the family in the United States, he clerked in a dry goods store in New York City, where he remained for three years, when he Was employed in a store at Terre Haute for a time. In 1881 he went to Newton, Ill., where he worked in the same capacity in a store there for some five years, when he opened a general store for himself at the same place, and remained there until the spring of 1862, when he went into the army. He was a sutler, and served as such until the close of the war. In May, 1866, he came to Olney, and engaged again in the general mercantile business, which he has continued with excellent success ever since. For a time the firm name was D. Scott & Co., but since 1875 the firm name has been Scott & Brockman. Mr. Scott was married, April 16, 1856, to Mary E. Harris, a native of Jasper County, 111. To this union were born six children, two of whom are yet living. Mrs. Scott died January 31, 1868. Mr. Scott next married, January 4, 1881, Mrs. Lizzie (Clubb) McLean, a native of this county. She is a member of the Congregational Church. In April, 1883, Mr. Scott was elected Mayor of the City of Olney, and still holds that office. He is a member of Olney Lodge, No. 140, A. F. & A. M., and also of Olney Lodge, A. O. U. W. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
AARON SHAW, of Olney, was born in Orange County, N. Y., in 1811 ; he was educated at Montgomery Academy, New York, and subsequently studied law with Judge Morrell at Goshen. In 1833 he removed to Lawrence County, Ill. He was a delegate to the first Internal Improvement Convention of Illinois ; was elected State's Attorney by the Legislature of Illinois ; was three times a member of the Illinois State Legislature; was elected Circuit Judge of the Fourth Judicial District of Illinois, and served six years ; was elected to the Thirty Fifth Congress, and was elected to the Forty Eighth Congress, as a Democrat, receiving 14,557 votes against 13,689 votes for Green, Republican, 471 votes for Turney, Prohibitionist, and 129 scattering. The Sixteenth Congressional District of Illinois, of which he is the present Representative, consists of the counties of Clark, Clay, Crawford, Cumberland, Edwards, Jasper, Lawrence, Richland, Wabash and Wayne. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
PARMENAS SHAW, jeweler, was born in Allegheny County, Md., on June 22, 1822, being one of the ten children born to John and Charity (Ricketts) Shaw, natives of Maryland, and of English and Scotch descent respectively. John was brought up in Maryland, there married, and there farmed until 1832, in which year he came to Knox County, Ohio. Here he was engaged in farming for some time, but during the last year of his life kept a hotel at Danville. He died on August 2, 1842. He was Justice of the Peace for more than forty years, and was a soldier of 1812. Parmenas' education was not very thorough, and at sixteen he began learning the tailors' trade, at which he worked for twelve years. In 1850 he opened a jewelry store at Sarahsville, Noble Co., Ohio, and has been engaged in that business since that time. In 1852 Mr. Shaw came to Olney, and opened the first jewelry store here, for several years combining the book trade with it. On August 29, 1843, he married, in Loudoun County, Va.., Nancy Morrison, of English German descent. Mr. Shaw and his wife have been for more than forty years consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Shaw is highly esteemed and respected. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN T. SHAW, grocer, was born in Allegheny County, Md., May 18, 1832, and is the youngest of ten children born to John and Charity (Ricketts) Shaw, both natives of Maryland, and of English descent. John Shaw was educated and married in his native State, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for several years. In 1833, he removed to Knox County, Ohio, where he bought a farm, upon which he resided until 1839, when he sold the farm and removed to Danville, Ohio, where he was engaged in the hotel business until his death, which occurred August 28, 1842. Both he and his wife were members of the Christian Church. For several years he was a Justice of the Peace, in Knox County, Ohio. John T. Shaw, the subject, received his early education in the primitive log schoolhouse of the early day. At the age of fifteen, he went to learn the harness-makers' trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years, after which he followed the trade at various places in Ohio for about four years. After this he was employed in his brother's boot, shoe and clothing store, at Coshocton, Ohio, until 1857, when he removed to Olney, Ill., where he opened a clothing store, but sold the same about one year afterward, and engaged in the boot and shoe trade. In 1860, he entered a dry goods store as a salesman, where he remained about seventeen years. He then removed to Casey, Ill., where he had the management of a general store for two years. In the spring of 1880, he returned to Olney, where he was employed for a time in a dry goods store. In December, 1881, he opened a grocery and provision store at Olney, where he has since been doing a good business. Mr. Shaw was married January 10, 1858, to Clara Beck, daughter of Aaron Beck, one of the pioneers of southern Illinois. To Mr. and Mrs. Shaw, seven children have been born, only two of whom are living. Mr. Shaw and wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which church he has held various official positions. He is also a member of I. O. M. A., and the I. O. G. T. In politics, he is a Republican, and is one of the enterprising business men of the county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JOHN H. SHEPHERD, City Marshal, was born in Mercer County, Ohio, July 23, 1843, and is third of ten children born to Henry L. and Catherine (Perry) Shepherd, natives of Maryland and Ohio, and of English and Irish descent, respectively. Henry L. was educated in Ohio, and when a young man moved to Mercer County, where he afterward married. In 1844, he went to Warren County, Ind., settling near Walnut Grove, where he entered and bought 120 acres of wild land, and improved a farm. He lived there until the fall of 1852; then sold his property, came to Preston Township, this county, and bought a farm of 160 acres, known as the Dickey Phillip's farm. In the spring of 1862, Mr. Shepherd enlisted in Company A, Sixty Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry and was soon after appointed Commissary of the regiment. After the siege of Vicksburg, in which he took part, he received leave of absence, but died on the way home, at Memphis, September 19, 1860. John H. was fairly educated, and was employed on the home farm until he attained the age of twenty two years. After the death of his father, the care of the family devolved upon him, and in 1865, he commenced farming for himself on shares in this county. In 1867, he removed to Olney, and engaged in the butcher business for nine years, when he followed the stock business until the winter of 1882. In April, 1880, he was elected Constable, and in April, 1883, was made Marshal of the city of Olney, which office he now fills. He was married on June lo, 1865, to Sarah Me Williams, of this county. They have had six children, of whom five survive. Mr. Shepherd is a member of Olney Lodge, No. 7 A. O. U. W., in which he has held the office of Overseer two terms. He has been Trustee one term and is now Receiver. In politics he is a Republican, an early pioneer, an enterprising and valued citizen of the city. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
D. S. SHOEMAKER was born November 25, 1839, in Perry County, Pennsylvania, and was the son of John Shoemaker, who as born in Germany and reared in Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming. The subject of this sketch, when a boy, learned the tanners' trade, worked at this business for about three years. In December, 1859, he came to Richland County, where he owns 120 acres land. Mr. Shoemaker enlisted in 1862 in Company B, Ninety- Eighth Illinois (Mounted) Infantry, and served to the end of the war.
He participated in the battles of Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga, Parmington, Atlanta, Selma, and others. Mr. Shoemaker was married June 10, 1860, to Amanda E. Richardson. She was born in Perry County, Penn. They have had four children, two sons and two daughters. He is a member of the Urica Christian Church. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
CHARLES SHULTZ was born in Prussia, June 28, 1838, and is the youngest of ten children born to Christian and Dorothea (Housel) Shultz, both natives of Prussia. Christian Shultz was a soldier in the Prussian army during the latter part of the Napoleonic wars, participating in the battle of Waterloo, and in the occupation of Paris, in 18i3. In 1852, he emigrated with his family to the United States, landing at New Orleans. He died of cholera, near Memphis, Tenn. Charles Shultz, our subject, received a fair common school education in his native land. After his father's death, the family settled at Evansville, Lid. In 1853, our subject came to Olney, Ill., where he was employed for two years on a railroad. In the fall of 1851, he went South, in the capacity of sutler, with the Thirty Eighth Illinois Infantry, remaining until the fall of 1863, when his stock was captured by Gen. Wheeler's command, he being at home at the time. By this he sustained a loss of $11,000. In 1864, he came back to Olney, erected a store building, and put in a stock of groceries and provisions in company with Mr. A. Klinsworth, under the firm name of Shultz & Klinsworth. Nine months later the firm was dissolved. Mr. Shultz then engaged in the dry goods trade, at which he has since been doing a good business. He carries a large and well selected stock in his line, amounting to from $10,000 to $20,000. He is also extensively engaged in the grain and wool trade. His annual sales, in all departments, average $75,000. Mr. Shultz was one of the city Aldermen for four years, and a member of the County Board of Supervisors for three years. He was married, in March 1861, to Sarah E. Gaddey, a native of Lawrence County, Ill. Nine children were born to them, seven of whom are living. Mr. Shultz is a member of Olney Local, No. 140, A. F. & A. M., and also of Richland Lodge, No. 180, I. O. O. F. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HERMAN H. SHULTZ was born in Richland County, Ill., January 30, 1858, and is the only living child born to Henry and Fredricka (Wisherop) Shultz, both natives of Prussia. Henry Shultz was a soldier in the German army three years. In 1852, he emigrated to the United States, first settling at Evansville, Ind., and afterward bought 160 acres of wild land in Edwards County, Ill. This he commenced to improve, but soon sold out and bought a farm in Olney Township, Richland Co., Ill., where he has since resided. His wife died May 16, 1858. Herman H. Shultz, the subject, received a good common school education in youth. At the age of seventeen he left home and was employed as a laborer on a farm in the northern part of Illinois for three years. He then returned to Olney, and was employed as a salesman in a dry goods store for some eighteen months. Her then farmed on shares in the northern part of the State, for two years, when he again returned to Olney and clerked in the same store for six months. In April, 1883, he opened a grocery and provision store, at Olney, where he is doing a flourishing business. He was married, October 16, 1879, to Lizzie E. Black, a native of Pennsylvania. Two children have blessed their union. Mr. Shultz is a member of the Lutheran, and Mrs. Shultz of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Democrat. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
GILBERT R. SLOVER was born on January 13, 1815, in Gibson County, Ind. When he was about eight years of age his parents removed to Warrick County, Ind., where they lived six years. In 1829 they came to Coles County, Ill., lived there one year then removed to Wayne County, where they lived three years, thence to Wabash County, where his father died, in the autumn of 1833, aged fifty six years. His father served in the war of 1812, holding a Captain's commission. During Ins later years he taught school, being unfit for active business in consequence of long continued illness. After his fathers death, Gilbert worked to support the family, and in 1839 came to his present locality, settling on this land, but having no means. He soon earned sufficient money to enter forty acres, and he added to it, from time to time, until he had accumulated 200 acres, 120 of which he has given to his children. He retains the homestead with eighty acres, sixty five of which are under cultivation. For many years after they came here they lived on game and corn meal. The meal he received as compensation for labor performed at the mill. On January 2, 1837, he was married to Sophia Brown, who was born in Wabash County, Ill., August 28, 1816. They have had six children born to them, four of whom are living. Mr. Slover and wife are both members of the Christian Church, he having been an elder in the church several years. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
GILBERT R. SLOVER, who follows farming on section 11, Bonpas Township, was born near New Harmony, Ind., on the 13th of June, 1815, and is a son of Abram and Mary (White) Slover. The former was a native of Pennsylvania, and was a son of Abraham Slover, who was of German descent. The mother of our subject was a native of Virginia.
The early boyhood days of our subject were spent in the Hoosier State, and at the age of fourteen years he accompanied his parents on their removal to Illinois. They located first in Coles County, from where they afterward removed to White County. Their last place of residence was in Wabash County, where the father died about 1833. His wife survived him for nearly a quarter of a century and passed away in 1857.
Gilbert R, Slover came to Richland County about 1841, and settled upon his present farm. It was then an unbroken forest, but he built a small log cabin and made a squatter's claim. It was several years before he could secure the means to purchase the land, even at the low Government price. He began to clear the tract of timber and made other preparations toward the development of the farm. Much of his time he had to spend in hunting, in order to secure a subsistence. He probably has killed as many deer as any man in the county since 1841. As the years passed, his financial resources were increased, and he at length became owner of a good farm of two hundred acres, but with the exception of eighty acres, he has given it all to his children.
On the 2d of January, 1837, Mr. Slover married Sophia, daughter of William Brown, of Wabash County, Ill. Six children were born unto them: John, who died in childhood; Mrs. Maria Easterday; Mary, deceased; William, who follows farming near the old homestead; Mrs. Elizabeth Tucker; and Gilbert, who is also an agriculturist of this community.
Mr. and Mrs. Slover have for many years been members of the Christian Church. He cast his first Presidential vote for Andrew Jackson, and has since been a supporter of Democratic principles. He is the oldest settler in Bonpas Township, and one both widely and favorably known. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.358
IRA O. SNAVELY was born July 6, 1857, in Crawford County, Ohio, and in 1867 came with his parents to Richland County, Ill.; they settled on this farm, where the father died in September, 1881, in his fifty third year. This farm consists of 120 acres, mostly improved, also a very comfortable dwelling, a barn and other out-buildings. Ira O. was married in 1879 to Ida M. Harmon. She was born in Bonpas Township, Richland County. This union is blessed with one son, Roger [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
MAJOR HARRISON M. SPAIN, real estate and war claim agent, was born in Gibson County, Ind., December 24, 1834, and is the sixth of the ten children born to Archibald and Sarah (Garwood) Spain, natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky. At the age of fifteen, in 1813, Archibald Spain moved with his parents to North Carolina, and two years later to Indiana Territory, settling near Vincennes. He was married in 1819, and soon after removed to Gibson County, entered land and resided thereon until 1867, when he moved to Patoka, same county, where he died, October 3, 1869, in his seventy second year. Harrison M. Spain remained on the home farm until July, 1862, when he recruited part of a company for the Sixty Fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and afterward Company E, Eightieth Indiana Infantry, of which he was commissioned Captain. In April, 1864, he was appointed Provost Marshal of the Second Division (same corps), under Gen. H. M. Judah, and served as such until the close of the war. May 1, 1865, he was promoted Major, and under that title was mustered out in June, 1865, at Salisbury, N. C. During his service, he took part in the battle of Perryville, Ky. Burnside's East Tennessee campaign, the Atlanta campaign, the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tenn., and many other lesser engagements. At the battle of Franklin the Major captured Capt. W. Wirt Thompson, of a Mississippi regiment, who reluctantly gave up his sword, saying that he would rather leave his dead body on the field than surrender it, as it was a present from his company and had never been dishonored. The Major generously promised that if both lived until the close of the war he would return the sword. In 1874, Capt. Thompson, having been elected a member of the Mississippi Legislature, wrote the Adjutant General of Indiana for Major Spain's address. A correspondence ensued, and in February or March, 1874, the promise made on the battle field was fulfilled. Just before he was mustered out the editor of the Salisbury Bamier gave the Major a very high compliment. After his return from the army, the Major engaged in the drug trade at Princeton, Gibson Co., Ind. In 1873, he retired from the drug business and has since been engaged as a real estate and war claim agent. In March, 1882, he came to Olney, Ill., where he still resides. The Major was married in December, 1866, to Mary A. Wallace, a native of Gibson County, Ind. Three children have been left to them, one son and two daughters. Major Spain is a member of Olney Post, No. 92, G. A. R.; he is a Republican, and is one of the enterprising business men and respected citizens of the city and county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
JONAS SPANGLER, farmer, was born May 25, 1817, in Mifflin County, Penn. When two years of age his parents moved to Wayne County, Ohio, and there he was reared on his father's farm. His father died in 1844, aged sixty-seven years. In 1839 the subject of this sketch came to Lawrence (now Richland) County. When in Ohio he learned the carpenters' trade ; this business he continued here about twenty years ; he then removed to his present farm of seventy one acres, located within the city limits ; he also owns 440 acres of land in Preston Township ; all of this property he has acquired by hard work and strict attention to business. He was married, in 1841, to Philora E. Barney, a native of Vermont, by whom he has had five children, of whom there are living one son and two daughters. His son, Nelson, enlisted, in 1863, in the Sixteenth Illinois Cavalry, was soon after taken prisoner, and confined in Andersonville prison, where he died. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
ARCHIBALD SPRING, Sheriff of Richland County, Ill., was born in Edwards County, October 28, 1839, and is the eighth in a family of nine children born to Sydney and Hannah (Prichard) Spring, both of English nativity. Sydney was well educated. In 1820 he came to the United States, and settled at Albion, Edwards Co., Ill. He was the first naturalized in this State. He soon after married, and afterwards started a nursery; the first in the State. He was Surveyor of Edwards County, and held office for many years. He was justice of the Peace also for years. Mr. Spring died in 1879, at the age of eighty years, in the communion of the Episcopal Church. His wife also belonged to the Church. Archibald received an ordinary education, and at the age of fourteen went into a drug store at Grayville, Ill., remaining one year, also clerking in a dry goods store two years. In 1858 he came to Olney, clerked for three years, and in April, 1861, enlisted in Company D, Eighth Illinois Infantry. Mr. Spring served for three months, then returned home, and in August, 1862, re-enlisted in Company B, Eighty Seventh Illinois Infantry, and was made Second Lieutenant, in August, 1863, was promoted to First Lieutenant. He had command of his company, however, during most of the war. He participated in many engagements, and was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., July 4, 1865. He was engaged for one year, here, at the dry goods business, and in 1866 was elected Sheriff of Richland County. Mr. Spring again engaged in the dry goods trade, which he followed for eight years, and in 1875 went into the livery business. He was made Sheriff again in 1882, and is filling that office now. He also breeds fine stock, and owns Norman English draft and thoroughbred horses and Alderney cattle, beside owning the white mare " Maggie Webb," a noted and beautiful animal. Mr. Spring was married on November 23, 1871, to Lillie Kleinworth, of Albion, Edwards Co., Ill. They have had four children, but only two are living, Clyde and Ella. Mr. Spring is a member of the A. O. U. W., of the G. A. R., and in politics is Republican. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
WILLIAM STEWARD was born February, 1813, in Gibson County, Ind., and at the age of ten, came with his parents to Lawrence (now Richland) County, and settled two miles east of Olney; there he lived on his father's farm till his marriage in 1834, to Priscilla Bullard, also born in Gibson County, Ind.; they then moved to their present farm of 130 acres, where they have ever since lived, and which place is one of the old land marks of this locality. They have a family of three children, Mary M., Lucinda, and James C. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
THOMAS L. STEWARD was born in Gibson County, Ind., December 18, 1818. At the age of six he moved with his parents to Lawrence (now Richland County). They first entered eighty three acres of land where his house is now situated, and were among the earliest settlers of the county, and now own 206 acres, which are well improved, with a comfortable house, barn and other outbuildings. Mr. Steward has held many important offices, both county and local; he was one of the first Constables after this county was divided from Lawrence, and served about twelve years ; also part of this time was Deputy Sheriff. He held the office of County Treasurer one term, and ex-official Assessor. He was afterwards elected Sheriff, holding this office four years, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace almost constantly. He married, January 26, 1843, Catharine Stites, of Tennessee; she died February 14,1858, aged thirty two, the mother of these children, Alfred J., Enoch J., Levi M., George W., Melvina D., Susan C, William T. (died September 4, 1879, aged thirty two). July 15, 1858, Mr. Steward married Mary A. Smalley, of Ohio. She died in March, 1860, aged forty years. She bore him one son, Solomon P. His third marriage, November 6, 1860, was to Martha Finley, of Ohio, born June 22,1822. They have three children, Eli F., Jonathan P., Addie J., and lost Violet by death, in infancy. His sons, Alfred J., Enoch J., and William T., served in the late war. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
A. J. STEWARD was born November 27,1843, in Olney Township, and here reared till the breaking out of the war; he then enlisted in Company E, Sixth Illinois Cavalry, as private, was promoted to Commissary Sergeant, and was honorably discharged November 5, 1865. He participated in the battles of Grierson's raid, siege of Port Hudson, battles of Franklin, Tenn., Nashville, Tenn., and others. He then returned and worked on his father's farm till 1867, when he bought a farm of seventy acres; he now owns 140 acres, mostly improved. He was married November 1, 1866, to Emily Craig, who was born in Lawrence County, Ill. They have four children, William C, Edgar N., Agnes G. and Arthur R. Mr. Steward is a member of the A. O. U. W. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
E. J. STEWARD, of the firm of Beaird & Steward, general merchants, was born June 5, 1845, in Richland County, and is the son of Thomas L. Steward, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. E. J. enlisted in February, 1864, in Company F, Forty Eighth Illinois Infantry, and served to the end of the war. He participated in the siege of Atlanta, was with Sherman during his march to the sea, and was in many severe engagements.
At the close of the war, he returned to Olney Township, where he remained about two years ; in 1867 he went to Clinton County, Mo.; June, 1868, he extended his travels to Cheyenne City, W. T., also to Colorado; he returned to Olney Township in 1869 ; in March, 1870, he, with his father and brother, opened a general store in Claremont, under the firm name of T. L. Steward & Sons ; the following year his brother retired from the business ; in September, 1871, he sold out his interest in the business, and engaged in farming ; this he continued till the spring of 1882, when he returned to Claremont ; November, 1882, the partnership of Beaird & Steward was formed, which still continues. Mr. Steward has been Township Supervisor one term ; member of the County Board one term; Township Assessor one year; in 1880, he was appointed United States Census Enumerator; he was three years Commissioner of Highways, and he is at present Treasurer of Town 3, Range 14, He was married in October, 1871, to Emma Greenwood, of Richland County, Ohio; they have one daughter living, and lost William L. in September, 1883, in his seventh year. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
ROBERT N. STOTLER, Superintendent of the County Schools and cashier of the First National Bank, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, April 22, 1850, and is the fifth of a family of nine children born to Isaac and Mary A. (Skimming) Stotler, natives of Allegheny County, Md., and of Scotland, and of German and Scotch descent, respectively. Isaac Stotler was reared and married in his native State. Soon after his marriage, in 1836, he moved to Clinton County, Ohio, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1858, when he came to Preston Township, in this county, and bought a farm, where he resided until his death, in 1877. He was not a member of the church, but was an earnest temperance man. Robert N. received a good education at common schools, at the State Normal School of Illinois, and the National Normal of Lebanon, Ohio. He was engaged from 1869 until 1881 in teaching most of the time, in this and Jasper County. In 1881 he was appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk at Olney, and held this position until May, 1883, since which time he has been cashier of the First National Bank at this place. In 1877 he was the Democratic candidate for Superintendent of Schools in this county, but was defeated. In 1882 he again ran for the same office, was successful, and still holds that position. Mr. Stotler is a member of Marmion Lodge, No. 52. K. of P., in politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the rising young men of Richland County. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
PROF. ROBERT N. STOTLER, Cashier of the First National Bank of Olney, and Superintendent of the public schools of Richland County, is one of the prominent and influential citizens of this community. He has been a resident of the county since 1858, or since his eighth year. He was born in Clinton County, Ohio, on the 22d of April, 1850, his parents being Isaac and Mary (Skimming) Stotler. His father was born in Cumberland County, Md., and his mother was a native of Scotland. They emigrated Westward in 1858 to Richland County, Ill., and settled near Dundas upon a farm. The mother died in 1876, and the father passed away the following year.
The subject of this sketch attended the district schools near Dundas until seventeen years of age and then became a student in the Northern Illinois Normal, at Normal, Ill. He began teaching at the age of seventeen years, after which he attended the Normal, as just stated, for six terms. Later he became a student in the National Normal, in Lebanon, Ohio, for one year. He then resumed teaching, to which profession he devoted his energies for about twelve years, being employed mostly in two districts, a fact which indicates his success and the satisfaction he gave.
Prof. Stotler has occupied a number of official positions. In 1881 he was appointed Deputy County Clerk and removed to Olney. He filled that office for two years, and then, in 1883, went into the First National Bank as its cashier, which position he has filled continuously since, covering a period of ten years. He is ably fitted for the position, and the success of the bank is due in no little degree to the efficient services of our subject. Mr. Stotler was elected Superintendent of the public schools of Richland County in 1882, reelected in 1886, and again in 1890, and is now serving his third term. He has eighty-four schools under his care, including six graded schools, and these have an attendance of seven thousand pupils. In August of each year he holds a County Normal Institute, which is of great benefit to his teachers. He has adopted a course of study for all schools, and OB the 25th of March holds a general examination. Under his administration the schools have attained a high standard of perfection, and of the educational facilities which they offer to the young the citizens of Richland County may well be proud.
In politics, Mr. Stotler is a Democrat. Socially, he is a Knight-Templar Mason, holding membership with all the bodies of that order in Olney. He also belongs to Marmion Lodge No. 52, K. P., and to the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a member and one of the Trustees of the Congregational Church. In connection with his other business interests, Mr. Stotler is interested in the Dundas Mill. He owns five hundred acres of farming land located in Preston and Denver Townships, and has a seventy-live acre orchard planted in apples, some of three and some of five years' growth. Mr. Stotler has proved a very able and faithful County Superintendent and has done much to advance the best interests of the cause of education in Richland County. He has also proved a most efficient and trustworthy cashier and enjoys a very flattering popularity, regardless of party affiliations.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p486 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
HON. HENRY STUDER, retired, was born in Switzerland, March 1, 1823, and is the youngest of eight children of Peter and Margaret (Ruby) Studer, natives of Switzerland. Peter lived in his native land during his lifetime and there was engaged in agricultural pursuits. He died in April, 1843. He was in the French army for two years, being one of the Swiss recruits, in the army of Napoleon I, and during the famous Russian Campaign in Germany, he was a sharp-shooter, and the rifle used by him at that time is still in the possession of his son. He and wife belonged to the German Reformed Church. Henry received a fair education and during his youth was engaged in agriculture and teaming; he was for a while a guide for tourists among the mountains, and in December, 1849, came across the Atlantic to New Orleans. He then came directly to what is now German Township, in this county, and farmed on shares for a time, then went to Madison County, and was there foreman in a stave and cooper shop until 1855. Mr. Studer then worked at the coopers trade, at butchering, and was in a drug store and grocery as clerk, continuing in the grocery and drug business for four years. In 1861 he enlisted as a member of J. C. Fremont's body guard, as First Lieutenant. When Gen. Hunter succeeded in command, he was mustered out, and was appointed Deputy Provost-Marshal of the Thirteenth District of Illinois. He also at the same time was engaged in the wholesale grocery trade at Olney, and built some seven or eight residences in the city. In 1878 he was appointed one of the Commissioners to the Vienna Exposition by Governor Beverage. He has lived retired since. He was for two years Street Commissioner, a member of the Board of County Supervisors; City Marshal for six years; and also Deputy Sheriff and City Collector. In 1882 he was elected to the Lower House of the State Legislature from the Forty Fourth District, consisting of Richland, Clay, Edwards and Wayne counties, then receiving a large majority over other candidates. In 1847 Mr. Studer was married to Elizabeth Von Almen, of Swiss descent. They belong to the German Reformed Church. He belongs to the A. F. & M., R. A. M., R. & S. M., K. T., and of Peoria Consistory S. P. R. S. He is a stanch Republican and helped organize that party in 1856.[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
HENRY SWALLEN, Jr., was born in the Canton Berne, Switzerland, October 16, 1813, and is the oldest of three children born to Henry and Anna (Savior) Swallen, both natives of Switzerland. Henry Swallen, Sr., was educated and married in his native land, where in early life he learned the cabinet makers' trade, which he followed for several years. For some twelve years he was an officer in the Swiss army. In 1829 he emigrated with his wife and family to the United States, and settled in Stark County, Ohio. Here he bought unimproved land and subsequently improved a farm, upon which he resided until 1866, after which he made his home with his children until his death, which occurred in 1870. Henry Swallen, Jr., the subject, received an ordinary education in the common schools of his native land. He was employed on his father's farm until he was twenty one years old, then on various public works in Ohio and Pennsylvania for five or six years. In 1839 he came to what is now Preston Township, Richland Co. Ill., where he entered 120 acres of land, erected a log cabin, and subsequently improved a farm. In 1845 he sold this farm and bought another in the same township, where he resided until April, 1860, when he rented the place and came to Olney. Here he was engaged in teaming for some seven years. He then engaged in the coal trade, and has continued that business ever since. In 1881 he formed a partnership with William Newal, under the firm name of Swallen & Co. They are the most extensive coal, wood, and grain dealers in the city. He has held the office of Alderman and Street Commissioner of the city, and was also a member of the County Board of Supervisors. Mr. Swallen was married in April 1838, to Mary Mufley, a native of Pennsylvania. Eleven children were born to them, only six of whom are living. Both Mr. Swallen and wife are members of the Evangelical Association, or Albright Church. He is also a member of Olney Lodge, No. 180, I. O. O. F. In politics he is a Republican, and is one of the old pioneers of Richland County. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]