M. L.TAYLOR - farmer and stock dealer, was born in Richland County, February 16, 1848, is the son of William and Amelia (WILLIAMS) TAYLOR, is eldest of six children, and is of Scotch-German extraction. William TAYLOR was a native of Kentucky, and his wife of Ohio. The TAYLOR family has long been known in Richland County. Their ancestors came to the county almost half a century ago. M. L.TAYLOR is a distant relative of President TAYLOR. Mr. TAYLOR began working for himself when twenty-four years of age. He went to Iroquois County, and there clerked in a clothing store for a short time, then went to Fairfield County, Il. In 1870 he returned to Richland County, and here has since resided. In November, 1870, he was married to Sarah L., daughter of John and Hulda GIVEN, and a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have had five children -- Dora E. (deceased), Ida A., William O., Lillie E., (deceased), and Hulda A. Mr. TAYLOR is a true Republican. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and owns a good farm of 120 acres in the northern part of Decker Township. He is a good practical business education, and is one of the most prominent men in Decker Township, being one of its pioneers.[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
James B. THOMSON was born August 28, 1826, in Posey County, Ind., and there lived until thirty-two years of age, when he came to Richland County, Il., and settled on the land his father entered in 1836. He now owns 560 acres, part of which is improved, with a good house, barn and other out-buildings, and twelve acres of orchard. Mr. THOMSON has been a school director several years. Ten children have been born to him, six of whom are living, Viz: Anna, Mary, Horace, Grant, Lincoln, and Eva. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
S. M. THOMSON was born November 5, 1824, in Posey County, Indiana, and came to Madison Township, Richland County, Illinois in February, 1845, where his father has entered 800 acres of land and deeded 200 to him, which he has since owned and improved, and is now one of the finest farms in the township. Mr. THOMSON has 150 acres under cultivation, three in orchard, and raises horses and cattle extensively. He also owns and operates a sugar mill, which has a capacity of 2,000 gallons a year. For twenty years, he has been director of the Agricultural Association; has been vice president, and is now president. Mr. THOMSON was married August 22,1844, to Mary E. KNIGHT, of Mount Vernon, Indiana. Ten children have been born to this marriage, seven of whom are living. One son, Jonathan F. served six months in the late civil war. Mr. THOMSON has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for forty-five years. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
W. G. TOLIVER -- farmer, is a native of Lawrence County, Ind., was born December 25, 1837, and is a son of William and Delana (BURTON) TOLIVER. William TOLIVER was a farmer, who emigrated from North Carolina to Indiana in his early life, and where he resided til his death. W. G. TOLIVER, received a good education in youth, and was reared to his father's business of farming; he also taught school for a time, and in 1858, came to this state, where he began teaching, and found a wife among his pupils-Miss Eliza A. SCOTT, whom he married in 1859; she was a daughter of Robert and Margaret SCOTT, who located in this county in 1840, and a portion of who land was given to Mrs. TOLIVER by her father. After marriage, Mr. TOLIVER gave his attention to farming and continued so to do until his death, January 15, 1874, having increased his farm and established for his family a comfortable independence, the farm now embraces 460 acres. Mr. TOLIVER left five children - William R., John A., Margaret D., Clara and Charles H. February 11, 1876, Mrs. TOLIVER was married to Mr. F.C. MADDING, who died August 15, 1880, to which union succeeded one child, who is named Louana. Mrs. MADDING is a member of the Christian Church.[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
WILLIAM A. THOMPSON, M.D., was born in New Haven, Conn., April 8, 1845, and is the ninth of ten children born to William S. and Nancy J. (Eaton) Thompson, the former a native of New Jersey, and the latter of New York. They were of English Scotch and Holland French descent, respectively. William S. Thompson, was educated and married in his native State, where he was engaged for many years in the manufacture of malleable iron and hardware, at Newark. In about 1840, he removed to New Haven, Conn., where he was engaged in the same line of business, for many years. In 1879, he came to Olney, Ill., and has since made his home with his son, the subject of our sketch. William A. Thompson, the subject, received a good education at the common schools and at Russell's Commercial and Collegiate Institute, and Military Academy, of his native town, which is a preparatory department of Yale College. At the age of twenty he went into his father's factory as superintendent of the pattern making department, where he remained several years. In the meantime he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. J. T. Halderman, of Columbus, Ohio, and in 1867, attended a course of lectures at the Starling Medical College. He still continued the hardware business for several years. In 1874, he came to Olney, Ill., which has been his home ever since.
In 1878, he graduated from the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, after a course of three years. Since that time he has practiced his profession at Olney with signal success. The Doctor was married, 1869, to Mary L., daughter of Rev. Jesse B. Locke, of Bourbon County, Ky. To this union was born one daughter, viz.: Lula J. Mrs. Thompson died in 1870. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Doctor was next married in 1874, to Mary L. Ridway, a native of Olney. Two children have blessed this union, viz.; Edna R. and Sarah B. Both the Doctor and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of the Masonic Fraternity, the I. O. O. F., K. of P. and I. O. M. A. In politics he is a Republican and one of the prominent professional men of the city.
[Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
WILLIAM AUGUSTUS THOMPSON, M. D., of Olney, though yet in the prime of life, has been longer in the practice of his profession in this city than any other member of the medical fraternity now in active practice. The date of his locating in Olney as a physician was 1870. He has a wide acquaintance, and his life record will therefore prove of interest to many of our readers. The Doctor is a native of Connecticut, having been born in New Haven, April 8, 1845, and is a son of William S. Thompson, a native of New Jersey The paternal grandfather of our subject was born in the town of Omah, County Tyrone, Ireland, where he grew to manhood and was married. Emigrating to the United States with his wife and their only child, a daughter, he settled in Newark, N. J., where were born three sons, all named William, but the elder two died in infancy. The father of our subject was the only son who survived early childhood. The grandfather was a merchant and auctioneer in his native town of Omah, and after coming to this country he for some time followed the same pursuits. Quite late in life he and his wife decided to return to their native land and pass their remaining days amid the scenes of their youth. They accordingly recrossed the broad Atlantic to Ireland, where Mr. Thompson died. After that event Mrs. Thompson again came to America, in order to be near her children in her last days. Her death occurred at Elizabethtown, now Elizabeth City, N. J.
William Thompson, the father our subject, was for many years engaged in the manufacture of malleable iron and hardware, both in Newark, N. J., and in New Haven, Conn. He married Nancy J. Eaton, a daughter of Jacob Eaton. The latter was a native of the Nutmeg State, and was of English descent on his father's side, but of Holland-Dutch ancestry on the maternal side. The Eaton family has long been a prominent one in New York and New England. Our subject was the ninth in order of birth in a family of ten children, two sons and eight daughters. The Doctor's only brother, George, died in infancy, and he has but two surviving sisters: Susan Matilda, now a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, and the widow of Beniot Roux; and Mary A., widow of Henry White. The parents removed from Connecticut to Cincinnati, where the mother's death occurred. Subsequently the father came to Olney, where he died April 2, 1887, at the age of eighty-one years.
The Doctor grew to manhood in his native city. As a boy he attended the public schools and later was a student at Russell's Commercial and Collegiate Institute in New Haven, a preparatory school for entrance to Yale College. After leaving that institution he was for a number of years engaged with his father as clerk and foreman. In 1868 he went to Columbus, Ohio, and from there to Cincinnati, where he took charge of the malleable iron and hardware manufactory of Miles Greenwood. The year 1874 witnessed his arrival in Olney. Soon after reaching this city he entered the office of Dr. Edmund W. Ridgway, and began practice in 1876 with his preceptor. Two years later he was graduated from the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, and has since been successfully engaged in the practice of his profession, in which he has won such a high reputation.
Dr. Thompson was first married in Cincinnati, in 1869, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary L. Locke, daughter of Rev. Jesse 13. Locke, of Bourbon County, Ky. About eleven months after their marriage Mrs. Thompson died leaving a daughter, who is now Mrs. Lulu J. Axley, wife of John M. Axley, a broker and commission merchant of Chattanooga, Tenn. In 1874, the Doctor was united in marriage with Miss Mary L. Ridgway, daughter of Dr. Ridgway, of Olney. Their union has been blessed with five children, three daughters and two sons, but only the former are now living, the Doctor and his wife having suffered the loss of their only boys. Edna Ridgway, the eldest daughter, was born September 29, 1875; Sarah Bower was born January 29, 1878; Galen Virgil, born September 9, 1883, died January 27, 1887; Ernst W., born January 8, 1885, died on the 7th of June, of the same year. The youngest daughter, Helen Augusta, was born November 21, 1887.
The Doctor is a member of the Centennial Medical Society, of Richland County; the Tri-States Medical Society; and the National Association of Railway Surgeons. He is surgeon for the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville and the Chicago & Ohio River Railroad Companies. Socially, the Doctor is a prominent member of several secret societies. He is a member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, belonging to the blue lodge, chapter, commandery and shrine, and is at present Generalissimo of the commandery. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen, Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Mutual Aid. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Thompson has been the organist of her church ever since she was a girl of thirteen years. She received a thorough course of instruction in the Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Doctor served on the Pension Board for eight years, having been appointed under the administration of President Arthur and serving through President Cleveland's first term. Dr. Thompson is one of the leading physicians and surgeons of eastern Illinois, and has established a large and lucrative practice. As a citizen he ever takes a commendable interest in the growth and prosperity of his town and county and is esteemed as an enterprising and progressive citizen. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.425 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
THOMAS TIPPIT, Circuit Clerk, was born in this county on June 6, 1851, and is the sixth of seven children born to Matthew L. and Sarah (Ellingsworth) Tippit, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Ohio. When three years old, in 1820, Matthew L. was carried by his parents to what is now Edwards County, Ill., then an unbroken wilderness. He received only two weeks of schooling in one of the primitive log buildings of the frontier. When he was four or five years old, his father died, and a few years later his mother moved to Richland County. He afterward married here, and here he entered some 1,000 acres at different times, a part of which land he finally sold. He erected a log cabin and made improvements on the farm, and resided in the same place until his death, which occurred September 13, 1871. At this time he owned about 600 or 700 acres, in well improved farms. Thomas received a good education and was employed on his father's farm until he reached the age of twenty one, when he began farming for himself on a small farm of fifty seven acres, which his father had left him. This farm is in Olney Township, and to this he has added from time to time, until he has 140 acres in the limits of the city of Olney. In 1876, Mr. Tippet was the Democratic candidate for Circuit Clerk of Richland County, but was defeated. In the following year he was elected a member of the' Board of Supervisors. In January, 1880, Mr. Tippit was appointed Circuit Clerk to fill a vacancy, and in the fall of the same year was elected to the office, and still holds that position. Mr. Tippit was married on March 15, 1877, to Eva Leaf, a native of Richland County. Three children bless this marriage, viz.: George M., Mabel A. and Albert. Mr. Tippit is a member of Olney Lodge, No. 140, A. F. & A. M., Richland Chapter, No. 38, R. A. M., and Olney Council, No. 55, R. & S. M. In politics he is a Democrat, and a prominent citizen of the county. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]
THOMAS TIPPIT, who is engaged in agricultural pursuits and in the breeding of standard-bred trotting horses, now resides in the city of Olney. He has the honor of being a native of Richland County, having been born in Olney Township on the 6th of June, 1851. His parents were Matthew L. and Sarah (Ellingsworth) Tippit. His boyhood days were quietly passed on his father's farm. He attended the common schools during the winter season, and in the summer months labored in the fields. He thus became familiar with the occupation which he has followed throughout the greater part of his life. He is a practical and progressive farmer, and for thirteen years he has carried on agricultural pursuits. He still owns one hundred and seventy acres of valuable land, and with the exception of ten acres the entire amount lies within the city limits of Olney. He is now engaged in the breeding of standard-bred trotting horses. He has followed this business for five years, and is the owner of some fine horses. For six years, from 1882 until 1888, he engaged in breeding draught horses.
On the 15th of March, 1877, in Preston Township, Richland County, Mr. Tippit was united in marriage with Miss Eva Leaf, who was born in that township, and is a daughter of George and Nancy Leaf. Her parents formerly resided in Ohio, from where they came to Illinois in 1854. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Tippit have been born four children, as follows: George Matthew, Mabel Anna, Albert Volney and John Edward Thomas. All were born in Olney and are still with their parents.
In 1880 Mr. Tippit was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, and removed to the city. He was re-elected in 1884, and again in 1888, serving in all for twelve years. His long service in that position well indicates his fidelity to duty, and no higher testimonial to his faithfulness could be given than that of his re-election. By his ballot he supports the Democratic party, and in political affairs he takes quite an active interest. He frequently attends its conventions, and is one of the influential delegates to the same. In his social relations he is a member of Olney Lodge No. 140, A. F. & A. M.; Richland Chapter No. 38, R. A. M.; Gorin Commandery No. 14, K. T.; and of the Council. He also holds membership with the Knights of Pythias, of Olney-. Mr. Tippit has spent his entire life in Richland County, and is well known to its citizens as a man of sterling worth and upright character. He therefore has many warm friends and acquaintances. Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.379 - Submitted by Judy Edwards
MRS. EUPHEMIA TOMBAUGH is the daughter of Reason Ruark (deceased), who was the first settler on Bonpas Creek. Coming here in 1824, he entered and bought considerable land, and engaged in farming, though his time was principally occupied in hunting, having killed as high as 160 deer in a year. His early associates in hunting are long since dead. In 1861 he sold his farm, and with Mrs. Ruark removed to the Tombaugh farm, where she died, in 1863, aged sixty-seven years. He resided here with his daughter about ten years. He then remarried, and returned to his old farm, being compelled to take it back on mortgage. He died there in 1874. Lewis Tombaugh, husband of Mrs. Euphemia Tombaugh, died on January 31, 1881. Mrs. Tombaugh has three children by former marriages, viz.: George Butler, a Methodist minister, now residing in Florida; Elizabeth J. (now Mrs. Berry) ; H. A. Kimmel, a graduate of the Carbondale Normal School, in 1879, and now teaching school in Fairview. George Butler served three years in the late war. Mrs. Tombaugh's house was built in 1878, and cost $2,000. It is one of the finest structures in this locality. Her farm consists of 200 acres of well improved land. [Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical; F.A. Battey & Co, 1884]