HIRAM H. KINGSBURY, a police magistrate of Olney, claims Ohio as the State of his nativity, his birth having occurred in Meigs County, on the 3d of April, 1840. The Kingsbury family is numbered among the early Colonial families of New England, having been founded in America by three brothers, who emigrated from England to the New World in the seventeenth century. The parents of our subject, Harley and Rhoda (Castle) Kingsbury, were both born in New England, as was also the paternal grandfather of Hiram. The latter served in the War of 1812, fighting the Indians under William Henry Harrison. He died in the struggle, and was buried near the Tippecanoe battlefield. His family numbered four sons. In an early day, Harley Kingsbury emigrated to Ohio, and near Chester followed farming. There a family of five sons and three daughters was born, namely: Wooster P., Harley, Lucy C., Rhoda H., Mary P., Hiram H., Austin G. and Orin. Harley was killed in battle in front of Atlanta, July 22, 1864; Lucy was married, but is now deceased; and Orin died in childhood. The others are all married and have families.
In the spring of 1846, Harley Kingsbury left Ohio and removed to Mt. Carmel, Ill., where he spent two years, and then came to Richland County, locating at what is known as Old Prairieton, nine miles from Olney, where he opened a general store. He hauled his first stock of goods from Evansville, Ind., For a period of twenty years he there engaged in business, after which he went to Friendsville, in Wabash County, for the sake of educating his children in the Presbyterian College there. His first wife died in 1846, soon after their arrival at Mt. Carmel. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. In 1848, Mr. Kingsbury wedded Mrs. Mary Hennesee, daughter of Rev. John Dollahan, who lived five miles north of Lawrenceville. They had nine children: Emma E., Robert W., Orin C. (who died in childhood), John D., George C., Joseph, Frank, and two who died in infancy. The father of this family passed away in 1871, at the age of sixty-six years. He too was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Hiram H. Kingsbury was reared to manhood under the parental roof, and in the common schools acquired a good education. During his boyhood, he worked on a farm, but when about seventeen years of age began clerking in his father's store, and followed that business four years.
At the first call for soldiers in the late war, Mr. Kingsbury left Richland County, and enlisted in Company D, Eighth Illinois Infantry, under "Uncle" Dick Oglesby. He served for three months, during which time his health became so permanently impaired, that he was confined to his bed for two years afterwards. In the summer of 1863, he came to Olney, and was employed by A. B. Daniels as clerk in a general store.
On the 10th of November, 1864, he was united in marriage with Miss Josephine McGiffin, the adopted daughter of his employer, Mr. A. B. Daniels. Their union has been blessed with seven children: Harley B., who died at the age of fifteen years; William W., Edwin C., Nellie M., Annie E., Charles A. and Emma J., and with the exception of the first-born, all are living.
Mr. Kingsbury is a supporter of the Republican party. He has been called upon to fill a number of responsible positions. For six years he was City Treasurer, was agent of the Adams Express Company for two and a-half years at Olney, and has served as City Clerk and Alderman, and is now serving as Police Magistrate, having filled the office for two years. Socially, he is a member of Eli Bowyer Post No. 92, G. A. R. He and his wife and two eldest children are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Kingsbury is a pleasant, genial gentleman, and has many friends throughout the community. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.585 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
ARNOLD MATTINGLY is a blacksmith and wagon-maker of Noble. He has followed this business throughout the greater part of his life, and has now a nourishing trade, which yields to him a good income. Honorable and upright in all his dealings, he has the confidence of all with whom he has been brought in contact, and therefore has gained a large number of customers.
Our subject was born in Meade County, Ky., .January 23, 1839. His grandfather, Nathan Mattingly, was a native of Maryland, and became one of the pioneer settlers of Kentucky, where for many years he followed fanning. He died in that State at the advanced age of ninety-eight, and his father reached the remarkable age of one hundred and eight years. Stephen A. Mattingly, father of our subject, was a farmer in Kentucky when the late war broke out. He abandoned the plow to become a member of Company G, First Kentucky Cavalry, in which he did service for the Union. Removing to Indiana, he made his home in the Hoosier State for a time, but afterward returned to the State of his nativity. He married Nancy Hardesty, who died in 1842, leaving two children: Sarah Ann, who is now the widow of Patrick Mullin, and resides in Mt. Sterling, Ill.; and Arnold. Mr. Mattingly afterward wedded Sarah Hardesty, a cousin of his first wife, and they had two children: George Henry, a carpenter of Owensboro, Ky.; and Mary, who died in infancy. Mr. Mattingly died in Concordia, Ky., in 1890, at the age of eighty-two years.
The subject of this sketch spent the first fourteen years of his life in his native State, and there learned the trade of blacksmithing and wagonmaking, which he has followed continuously since, with the exception of about three years spent in the army. He enlisted in Company D, Thirty-fifth Indiana Infantry, and took part in twenty-seven important battles and a number of skirmishes, but was never wounded. He was always faithful to his post, valiantly defending the Stars and Stripes.
On the 7th of April, 1865, soon after his return, Mr. Mattingly was united in marriage with Luticia, daughter of John and Jane (Gilliland) Cart, of Perry County, Ind. Nine children were born unto them. The eldest, Ida, is the wife of Samuel Strickland, who is in the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Company, and is a resident of Noble; they have two children, Blanche and Guy. Sarah F., Joseph and Eliza are now deceased. George is the next younger. Sula is the wife of Matthew Stuart, who resides near Noble. Nancy, Charlie and Eva complete the family.
After the war, Mr. Mattingly resided for four years in Reno, Ind., and in 1869 came to Noble, Richland County, Ill. Two years later he removed to Kansas, but not liking that country, remained but a few months, when he returned with his family to Noble. After a residence of fifteen months at this place he returned to Indiana, remaining four years, when he left there and for the third time came to Noble, where he has made his home continuously since, carrying on business as before stated. Besides his home, he owns his blacksmith shop and three town lots. Politically, he is a Democrat, and in his social relations is an Odd Fellow, belonging to Noble Lodge No. 482, I. O. O. F., and Rebecca Lodge. He also holds membership with the Grand Army of the Republic. He and his wife are faithful and consistent members of the Christian Church, in which he has filled the office of Deacon for twenty years. Their lives have been well and worthily passed, and their many excellencies of character have gained for them the warm regard of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
[Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.587 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
REV. WILLIAM VAN CLEVE, of Olney, has for thirty years been a faithful minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is now Presiding Elder for the Olney District. His life record is as follows: He was born in Morris County, N. J., March 5, 1834, and grew to manhood near Newark, in his native State, where he also received his education. His father was Garret Van Cleve, and his great-grandfather bore the same name. The latter was a native of Holland and came to this country in Colonial days, settling in New Jersey. Members of the family fought in the war for independence, the grandfather being a soldier under Washington in that Revolutionary struggle.
Garret Van Cleve, the father of our subject, married Miss Maria, daughter of John Romine, who came from an early New Jersey family of English origin. The great-grandparents, grandparents and parents of the Rev. Mr. Van Cleve are all buried in the same cemetery near Paterson, N. J. He is one of a family of six children who grew to mature years, four sons and two daughters, but he and an elder brother, Joseph Van Cleve, are now the only survivors. The latter is a resident of Irvington, N. J.
In 1855, on attaining his majority, the Rev. Mr. Van Cleve left his old home and, emigrating Westward, settled in Bunker Hill, Macoupin County, Ill., where he entered the ministry. His first charge was in Pocahontas, Bond County, and his second in Murphysboro, Jackson County. He then received and accepted a call from the church in Chester, the county seat of Randolph County, after which he performed the duties of the pastorate in Ashley, Washington County. In leaving that place he became the minister of the Methodist Church in Marion, the county seat of Williamson County, and later he was the pastor at Spring Garden, Jefferson County, whence he went to Mt. Vernon. His next charge was in Salem, Marion County 7 , after which he preached in Clement, Clinton County, and in Shiloh, St. Clair County. He then returned to Clinton County, but this time was pastor in Trenton. Subsequently he went to Mulberry Grove, Bond County, then to Staunton, Macoupin County, and later to Bunker Mill. In 1883 he was appointed Presiding Elder of the Mt. Carmel District, and there continued until 1887. His next charge was at Mt. Carmel Station, in Wabash County, after which he went to Carmi, White County. In 1890 he was appointed to his present position and removed to Olney.
In 1856 the Rev. Mr. Van Cleve was united in marriage with Miss Sarah E. Callaway, who was born February 14, 1839, in Jersey County, Ill. They have a family of ten children, six sons and four daughters: Joseph, who is now pastor of the Methodist Church in Mt. Vernon; Maria Lenora, wife of John F. Hume, of Bunker Hill, Ill.; Edward E., superintendent of the city schools of Carmi, Ill.; Mary E., wife of James H. Kirk, of Enfield, White County, Ill.; Samuel M., Rose, Benjamin P., Grace, Gilbert H. and Charles McCabe. The Rev. William Van Cleve has been a faithful laborer in the cause of Christianity for thirty years, and his duties, whether those of a regular minister or a Presiding Elder, have ever been discharged in a most conscientious and faithful manner.
[Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.588 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
REV. WILLIAM McCAUGHEY, one of the prominent ministers of the Presbyterian Church, now resides in Olney. His many friends and acquaintances will be glad to see him represented in this volume, and with pleasure we present this record of his life to our readers. His paternal grandparents were William and Jane (Jackson) McCaughey and were of Scotch-Irish descent. The grandmother was an own cousin of Andrew Jackson, President of the United States. Both were members of what was once called the Seceder Church, but now the United Presbyterian. The father of our subject, Robert Jackson McCaughey, married Henrietta Crafft, daughter of Frederick and Margaret Crafft, who were of German descent. They resided near Frederick City, Md., and were members of the Lutheran Church. Their daughter, however, was a member of the Christian Church.
Rev. W. McCaughey of this sketch was born in Massillon, Stark County, Ohio, September 25, 1829, and was the eldest of eight children, three sons and five daughters. Two daughters, Margaret and Keziah Belle, are now deceased. The latter left two children, namely: Harry Eirst, a prominent railroad postal clerk of Cincinnati, Ohio; and Mrs. Allie Kern, of Minneapolis, Minn. The living children of the McCaughey family are Mrs. Mary Alice Gildersleeve, of Hudson, McLean County, Ill.; Helen Maria, wife of Columbus C. Sater, M. D., also of Hudson; Thomas Corwin, a physician and druggist, of Hoopeston, Vermilion County, Ill.; and Robert Jackson, a commercial traveler of Ripley, Brown County, Ohio.
Our subject was married in Springfield, Ohio, March 25, 1858, to Miss Lucy Elizabeth Alter, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Samuel Sprecher, D. D., President of Wittenberg College. The lady is the only sister of Hon. Franklin Alter, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Their family was closely related to ex-Governor Reutner, of Pennsylvania, and belongs to the new-school Lutheran Church. The union of Rev. W. McCaughey and his wife was blessed with a family of six children, as follows: Mary Elizabeth; Henrietta Virginia, now the wife of Frank S. Gordon, a dry-goods merchant of Greenville, Darke County, Ohio; William Franklin, a prominent worker in, and Assistant General Secretary of, the Y. M. C. A. State work of Indiana, with headquarters at Indianapolis, Ind.; Henry Alter, who is employed as book-keeper with Alms & Deopke, wholesale and retail merchants of Cincinnati, Ohio; Walter Secrist, who is solicitor and collector for D. Gray & Co.'s underwriters' insurance agency of Cincinnati, Ohio; and Laura Luella, who is now Mrs. Frederick C. Brehm, her husband a wholesale paper merchant of Milwaukee, Wis. In speaking of his family , Mr. McCaughey says, "Truly as parents we can gay that we have been greatly blessed and comforted in our children. In quite early life they gave God their hearts, confessed Christ as their Savior, united with the church, were heartily in sympathy with their father's life work, and had in many ways greatly helped him toward the upbuilding of the Master's kingdom. We have great reason to be thankful to our Heavenly Father for the joy and comfort which our children have been to us."
Speaking of his religious experience, Mr. McCaughey says that he cannot recall a time, even in early childhood, when he did not have religious impressions, and when he could not look forward and see himself a minister of the Gospel. When quite a small boy, he was much impressed by reading a simple story of Joseph and his brethren. Not long afterward he heard a pathetic sermon preached from the text, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid." Little William went home from the service deeply impressed, and having to prepare a composition for school, he concluded to take the same text as his subject. He did so, and in the bar room or office of a large country tavern wrote six four-line stanzas of jingling rhyme. Those stanzas attracted considerable attention and he was considered a somewhat poetic prodigy, for he was then a little flaxen-haired boy, whose head would hardly reach the top of his mother's dinner table. About the same time a lady came into the community and invited the parents and their children to meet at a schoolhouse on
Sunday afternoon to organize a Sunday-school. Rev. Mr. McCaughey then attended what was his first Sunday-school. Many, many years after this, when Mr. McCaughey had become a minister of the Gospel, an aged couple passed through his town in northeastern Ohio, and, stopping at the hotel over Sunday, they inquired of the proprietor, who was one of the officers of Mr. McCaughey's church, concerning the principal church of the place and its pastor. When told the name of the pastor, the strange lady requested that he be sent for, and when he arrived he found her to be his first Sundayschool teacher. Calling him by name, she said, "You were the little boy who sat on that rough board bench, your bare feet scarcely touching the rough floor, your hair as white as your clean tow pants, your eyes sparkling like two diamonds, your ears opened to catch every word that I uttered. I could not but see, and I felt it too, that there was in that little uncut diamond, that little white-haired boy, a future minister of the Gospel, and often spoke of it to my friends, then living in your community."
Mr. McCaughey was converted under the preaching of Rev. Peter J. Spangler, of the German Reformed Church, and was confirmed by him into full membership of that church March 23, 1852, in Manchester, Summit County, Ohio. The passage of scripture which lead to his conversion was, "Repent ye, therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out when the times of refreshening shall come from the presence of the Lord, " Acts iii, 19. At the time our subject was engaged in teaching. When his school closed he made a trip through the West, returning in the fall to Doylestown, Wayne County, Ohio, to the home of his father, with whom he remained until the latter's death, which occurred in February, 1853. The following April, he became a student in Heidelberg University, of Tiffin, Ohio. He had only $28, but he had faith that the hand of Providence would aid him. He sawed wood, swept the rooms, built fires, gathered ashes and sold them, worked in the harvest fields during vacations and in this way prepared himself for the Master's work. After an examination, he was placed in the junior class of the scientific course, but he felt that this permission so kindly granted was hardly deserved, and he asked to be allowed to remain in the senior class two years. This was granted, and he graduated with the degree of A. M. in the Class of '56. The theological seminary of that church being connected with the institution, he was enabled to pursue both seminary and college branches, and hence made double time. During his second year in the seminary, he supplied a vacant church in an adjoining town, and after the opening of the third year he was permitted by the faculty of the seminary to accept a regular call from an old and prominent church in Navarre, Ohio. He was examined and licensed to preach the Gospel in the German Reformed Church of the United States of America.
Rev. Mr. McCaughey 's ordination sermon was preached in Navarre, January 14. 1857, by Rev. Louis Brumer, of Massillon, Ohio, and he also delivered the charge to the pastor, while Rev. Samuel B. Leiter, D. D., delivered the charge to the people.
Rev. Mr. McCaughey remained in Navarre until October, 1860, when he was called to the pastorate in Akron City. While there he erected a fine house of worship, and laid the foundation for that congregation of eight hundred members, now so spiritually and financially, as well as numerically, strong. In May, 1863, he removed to Springfield. Ohio, where he spent about a year, though not officially employed, yet most of the time engaged in the Master's work. In June, 1864, he was called to Greenville, Ohio, where he organized and built up a large and flourishing church, and erected a fine house of worship. After eleven pleasant years spent at that place he was forced to resign on account of his health, October 1, 1874. The succeeding winter and spring he traveled for the benefit of his health. In the spring of 1875, he received a unanimous call from the church at Miamisburg, Ohio, where he served as pastor until April 1, 1881. Now came the change in the life of Rev. Mr. McCaughey. He had faithfully served the Reformed Church for many years, but he felt that the extensive use of the German language was a hindrance to his personal work. The Presbyterian Church was the church of his fathers, and in the spring of 1881 he asked for a letter of dismissal from the Reformed Church to the Dayton Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, and was duly enrolled as a member of that Presbytery April 14, 1881, at the regular spring meeting, at the Park Street Church, Dayton, Ohio.
During the following summer and winter he was not employed officially, but nevertheless generally preached twice a day each Sunday. In the autumn of 1882, on account of the climate, he went South and temporarily took charge of the Bethel Presbyterian Church in Kingston, Tenn. In May, 1883, he came North for the summer, and then again went to Kingston. On the 9th of July, 1884, entirely unsolicited on his part, he was unanimously elected President of Sedalia University, a young and flourishing Presbyterian school in Sedalia, Mo. He there served until July 9, 1885, when on account of financial reasons the connection was severed and April 1, 1886, he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Rossville. Vermilion County, Ill. To that church he had the largest number of accessions on one day during his entire ministry, sixty joining. Of these, thirty were young men, and forty-three of the number were by the profession of faith.
Rev. Mr. McCaughey was unanimously called to the Olney Church, February 1, 1889, and has since teen its pastor. Up to May 14, 1893, he had preached five thousand two hundred and eighty-nine sermons, delivered two thousand one hundred and seventy-five lectures, received six hundred into church relationship and from four hundred to a thousand by certificate, baptized six hundred and married three hundred and thirty-nine couples. Speaking of his life, Mr. McCaughey says, "The Lord has been remarkably propitious to me in my family, in my health and in owning and blessing my work. Nevertheless, I must confess that I have come far short of doing all that I could for my blessed Master, arid my only prayer is that in the end He may overlook my mistakes, overrule my errors and with His compassionate and loving voice say to me 'well done.'
Rev. Mr. McCaughey is a popular pulpit orator, being a logical reasoner, a fluent, forcible, impressive speaker. By his associates he is recognized as a scholarly, refined, Christian gentleman. During his residence in Olney he has endeared himself to the members of his congregation, and enjoys the friendship and esteem of a large circle of acquaintances. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.595 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
REV. JAMES W. WHARF, a minister of the Baptist Church now residing in Olney, claims England as the land of his birth, which occurred in Yorkshire, March 1, 1826. His parents, William and Mary (Wright) Wharf, were also natives of England. The father was a contractor and builder in stone and followed that business in the land of his nativity until 1830, when, bidding good-bye to his old home, he emigrated to America. For a short time he lived in Philadelphia, then went to Pittsburgh, and afterward to Brownsville, Pa., where he reared his family. His death there occurred at the age of sixty-eight years. He was a member of the Methodist Church and is a highly-respected citizen. His first wife died in her fifty -seventh year, after which he married Mrs. Mary Danks. The children of the first union were William; James W., of this sketch; Moses, who died at the age of three years; Elizabeth, who became the wife of Pleasant Cobbs, by whom she had a son, William H., who died several years ago. After his death, she married Alexander Niblo, who died leaving three children, Nathan, James and Alice. Margaret, the other member of the Wharf family, became the wife of Robert Stone and died leaving four children.
Our subject was reared and educated in Brownsville, Pa., where he learned the trade of marble carving, becoming a fine workman. At the age of eighteen he began studying for the ministry, and two years later he was licensed to preach in the Methodist Church. On the 7th of April, 1847, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Willis, daughter of William and Sybil (Spellman) Willis, natives of Knox County, Ohio. Five children graced this union. Mary E., the eldest, became the wife of Prof. Harry E. Reeves, by whom she had three children, Mary E., Harry and Ernest. She subsequently became the wife of Deacon Clinton J. Allison, of Olney. William W. married Miss Sophrona Johnson, of Effingham County, and resides in Olney. James E., who married Miss Adelia Allison, is the present Mayor of Olney and is represented on another page of this work. Emma S. died at the age of three years. Edward L., a policeman of Olney, married Miss Jennie Van Meter, by whom he has two children, Mamie and Glenn.
After his marriage, Mr. Wharf removed to Coshocton, Ohio, where he spent two years, and in 1856 he came to Olney, where he has since made his home. For a time he was engaged in preaching as a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. About thirty years ago he united with the Baptist Church, was ordained a minister and served as pastor of the congregation in Olney for four years. He has had charge of a number of different churches since that time and still devotes a portion of his time to ministerial labor.
Rev. J. W. Wharf now travels considerably, doing evangelistic work and giving lectures and concerts for the benefit of churches, while at the same lime he aids himself. He is also the author of a book entitled "Promiscuous Poems, " humorous, sentimental and instructive, which has received many fine encomiums from the press. He is a man of more than ordinary ability and possesses fine literary talent. His life has been a noble one, devoted largely to the cause of Christianity, and by example as well as precept he has led many to walk in the right direction. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.597 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
GIDEON B. DELZELL, of West Liberty, proprietor of a blacksmith shop and wagonmaking establishment, is a native of Tennessee. Born in Blount County, on the 17th of January, 1827, he is a son of Robert and Dorcas (Davis) Delzell. His father, a native of the same State, was of Irish lineage, and his mother was of English extraction. They were both members of the Presbyterian Church and were highly respected people. The former died in April, 1858, and the latter was called to her final rest in 1874. Their ten children were: Mary, John N., William, Andrew, David, Gideon B., Robert A., Harvey, Teresa and Serena J. John Davis, the maternal grandfather of Mr. Delzell, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and Robert Delzell, father of Gideon, served in the War of 1812.
In the usual manner of farmer lads the subject of this sketch spent the days of his boyhood and youth. His father proposed to build a blacksmith shop, not fitting it up with tools, however, if Gideon would learn that trade, which he did when seventeen years of age. In his native State he followed this business until 1850, which year witnessed his emigration to Crawford County, Ill. He located in New Hebron, where the succeeding three years of his life were passed, and then removed to a farm, which he owned and operated until 1859. In that year he sold his first purchase and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Richland County, where he carried on agricultural pursuits successfully until 1883. In that year he again sold his farm, and removing to West Liberty, opened a blacksmith and wagon-making shop, which he still carries on. Me thoroughly understands his business, -and as his workmanship is equal to that of any., he has built up a good trade.
In 1851, Mr. Delzell was joined in wedlock with Miss Sibby Wilson, a native of Blount County, Tenn., born April 24, 1833. She is a daughter of John and Mary (McKamy) Wilson; both were natives of Tennessee, and of English descent. Her maternal grandfather, James McKamy, served as a soldier during the entire eight years of the war for independence, and her father served during the War of 1812, as did also the three brothers of her mother. The mother of Mrs. Delzell was born in a fort in Blount County, E. Tenn., which the family was occupying as a place of safety, to escape death from hostile Cherokee Indians. These savages were waging war upon a colony of whites who had recently emigrated from Virginia and settled upon their land. This land the whites were forced by the Government to vacate a few years later.
John and Mary Wilson had a family of seven children, of whom six grew to manhood and womanhood, and the four following are living at this writing (spring of 1893), namely: Margaret Ann, now Mrs. George Hamil, who resides in Tennessee: Malissa, who married Andrew Delzell, and resides in Richland County, Ill.; Sibby, wife of our subject; and James, a farmer of Jasper County, Ill.
Our subject and his wife became parents of four children. Melissa A., born in 1853, is the wife of Dr. K. M. Bussard, who is employed as a traveling salesman for a drug firm of Peoria, and resides in Canton, Ill.; Serena E., born in 1865, is the wife of Andrew Gaddis, a farmer of Richland County; Leonides, born in 1861, died in infancy; and John Harvey, born in 1863, died in 1870.
Mr. Delzell exercises his right of franchise in support of the Democratic party, with which he has been identified throughout life. He now holds the office of Township Supervisor for the fourth year, and was Postmaster of West Liberty during Cleveland's first administration. Himself and wife are both members of the Presbyterian Church and take an active interest in its upbuilding. He takes a commendable interest in all worthy enterprises, and always gives his support to those matters calculated to benefit the community. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.598 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
THE OLNEY DEMOCRAT was established by Messrs. C. L. V. Tucker and Ed Richardson, in October, 1891. These gentlemen were associated in conducting the paper until November, 1892, when Mr. Tucker retired, disposing of his interest to Mr. Stoll, the firm now being Richardson & Stoll. The paper is Democratic in political teachings, and is a bright, newsy sheet, well edited and having a large and constantly increasing circulation in Richland County.
Mr. Richardson was born in Lawrence County, Ill., in 1867, and is a son of Thomas H. Richardson, one of the early settlers of that county. The family removed to Olney in 1880. The subject of this sketch is the only son, but there are three sisters in the family. Ed Richardson was educated in the public schools of this city, and after his school life was ended was for some lime employed in the office of the Olney Advocate, where he obtained his knowledge of the printing business. Mr. Stoll has the honor of being a native of this city, where his birth occurred in 1866. His father, Henry Stoll, is one of the older settlers of Olney, and still makes his home here. The son attended the public schools and served his apprenticeship to the printer's trade in the office of the Olney Times. The members of the firm of Richardson & Stoll are both young men, enterprising and energetic, and will, no doubt, through life have a successful career.
[Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p.600 - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
EDWARD SPRING, deceased, was a worthy pioneer of Richland County, and for many years a prominent and influential business man of Olney. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, December 2, 1806, and was a son of Thomas and Margaret Spring. In 1819, when thirteen years of age, he emigrated with his parents to the United States. Soon after landing the family set out for Illinois, traveling by stage, there being no railway connection with the West in those days. The father, who was in feeble health, died in Pennsylvania while en route. Mrs. Spring continued the journey with her family, and after many hardships they reached their destination, Edwards County, Ill., and joined the well-known English colony in Albion of that county. There the subject of our sketch grew to manhood, and on the 31st of December, 1841, was married by Judge Walter L. Mayo to Miss Caroline R. Mount. Mrs. Spring was born on Nantucket Island, Mass., and is a daughter of Format Marshall and Mary A. Mount. In April, 1842, our subject removed to Olney, and was engaged in merchandising in a small way in a room about 12x14 feet in size. Later he removed to more commodious quarters. He subsequently erected brick business building at the southwest corner of Main and Boone Streets, now occupied by his sons, which he occupied until 1868, carrying on an extensive business as a general merchant. He also dealt in farm produce, which was shipped by water.
In the meantime, and subsequently, Mr. Spring continued merchandising. In 1865, in company with other citizens of capital in Olney, he founded the First National Bank of this city, which was incorporated December 5 of that year. He was elected the first President of the bank and was re-elected to that office at each succeeding election until 1881, when he withdrew from the institution, and on the 14th of February, 1882, in company with John N. Horner and others he founded the Olney National Bank. He was elected its President and held that position during the existence of the bank. Owing to the Government calling in the bonds on which the bank was established it was forced to close its existence as a national bank in February, 1887, but its proprietors at once organized in its place the private banking house since known as the Olney Bank, of which Mr. Spring was President. He retired from merchandising in 1866, and subsequently devoted his attention to banking, continuing to serve as President of the Olney Bank until the fall of 1888, when on account of increasing years he resigned and retired from active business. His death occurred on the 21st of August, 1890, at the ripe old age of eighty-four years.
Mr. and Mrs. Spring were blessed with a large family. Four children died young and eight grew to mature years. Those now living are Mary R., who was the second white child born in Olney, and who is now the wife of T. W. Scott, of Fairfield, Ill.; Florence E., the wife of J. H. Senseman, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work, and who is Cashier of the Olney Bank; Edward, who married Miss Kate, daughter of Rev. W. E. Ravenscraft, and is now senior member of the firm of Spring Brothers, of Olney, dealers in wool and seeds; Carrie M.; Elizabeth A., wife of Medford Powell, of Chicago; Laura, who resides with her mother; Harry B., who married Miss Victoria Eckenrode, and is the junior member of the firm of Spring Brothers, of Olney; and Kate L., wife of J. H. Danbury, of Memphis, Tenn. Mrs. Spring survives her husband and resides at the old homestead in Olney with her unmarried children.
In politics, Mr. Spring was a Republican. He helped to organize the village of Olney in August, 1847, and was chosen the first President of the Board of Trustees. He was active in public affairs and was known as a man of superior business ability and of the strictest integrity. His success, which was marked, was the result of his own efforts. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 326. - Submitted by Judy Edwards]
GEORGE M. SWARM, Sheriff of Richland County, a prominent citizen and one of the old settlers, now makes his home in Olney. He is a native of the Buckeye State, and was born in Highland County, on the 11th of April, 1850, being a son of George and Jane (Mitchell) Swarm. His father was born in Vermont, December 8, 1814, and was descended from an old New England family. In 1840, he removed to Highland County, Ohio, with his parents. There he was married and engaged in blacksmithing in Pricetown. In 1855, he decided to try his fortune in Richland County, Ill., and in March of that year located in Preston Township. Subsequently he removed to Denver Township, where he worked at his trade for some time, and at length, in 1887, he removed to Olney, where he still makes his home. The mother of our subject died on the 31st of January, 1885.
George M. Swarm, whose name heads this record, acquired his education in the public schools. He accompanied his parents on their various removals, and remained with them until after he had attained his majority. No event of special importance occurred during his boyhood and youth, but after reaching man's estate he was married to Miss Ida Wolverton. The wedding ceremony of the young couple was performed on the 13th of March, 1887. The lady is a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Wolverton, and a native of Ohio, her birth having occurred in Butler County, that State.
At the age of nineteen, our subject embarked in the profession of teaching school, and was thus employed for fourteen terms in Richland County.
Immediately after his marriage, he came to Olney, and received the appointment of Deputy Sheriff under Sheriff Wycloff Higgins. Mr. Swarm served in that capacity until the fall of 1890, when he was elected Sheriff, and entered upon the duties of the office in December of that year. His previous duties as Deputy Sheriff made him well fitted for the new position, which he has filled with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. In politics he is a Democrat, and warmly advocates the principles of that party. He also served for five terms as Supervisor of Denver Township, a fact which indicates his faithfulness and fidelity.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Swarm has been blessed with one child, a son, Galen, who was born in Olney on the 12th of May, 1888. Mr. Swarm is a member of Olney Lodge No. 140, I. O. O. F., and of Newell Camp No. 61, M. W. A. His wife holds membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are people of sterling worth and have a large circle of friends and acquaintances in this community. Our subject has long been a resident of Richland County and his well-spent life has won him universal respect. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 369. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards. ]