THE WAR RECORD
Source: "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois: Historical and Biographical"
F.A. Battey & Co., 1884
submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer
The period of the war of the Rebellion is a memorable one in every community of the whole country. It marks an epoch in our local as well as national history, and the traces of its influence are found in a thousand forms. This sudden termination of the political agitation which had preceded, brought men face to face with an emergency that they were hardly prepared to meet. Most of the people of Richland were equal to the occasion; some wavered for a time, and some became embittered. The changes in political sentiment was, in many cases, radical and inexplicable. Some earnest, old time Whigs became bitter opponents to the prosecution of the war, and many determined Democrats who opposed the Republican program up to the first fields of the war, became ardent supporters of the administration. There was a good deal of intemperate partisan spirit manifested by both parties in Richland County during this period, and some rather serious clashing occurred. Enlistment's early began to take place here, and a large number of volunteers from this county was found in the Eighth Infantry Regiment. While the preponderance of sentiment was largely in favor of sustaining the government, there was not that overwhelming power which led the Unionists to calmly listen to the vaporings of the opposition. Occasionally a man whose discretion was overruled by the effect of liquor would disturb the equilibrium of the community by shouting for Jeff. Davis or the Southern Confederacy, and the result was, too often, a disgraceful brawl. A United States Marshal and a few troops were stationed at Olney some part of the time, and some collisions occurred that were unfortunate.
On one occasion the Democratic paper was attacked and destroyed by a mob of the soldiery. While such acts were clearly indefensible, the sentiment of the community palliated the offense on the ground that sufficient cause had been given to enrage the soldiers, and there was no redress known to the machinery of the law. It would have been desirable to prevent the outrage, but to attempt to punish the offenders would have involved evils which were worse than the complaint. Deserters found in this section of the State sympathy and refuge, and were the occasion of much of the disturbance. On one occasion the Marshal had several men under arrest, and the Sheriff of Jasper County with a large posse of men from that and Crawford County came to Olney for the avowed purpose of securing their release.
Reports of this raid came to town. The court house was garrisoned by a number of armed citizens and preparations made to inaugurate war right here if the proposed attack was made. Some 300 or 400 men did approach the town, but a good many had by that time had opportunity to consider the nature of the expedition. They argued very pertinently that if they killed any one it was murder, but if any one of them were killed it would be justifiable homicide, and thus arriving at the conclusion they had nothing to gain but everything to lose, their ardor cooled and the larger proportion of the mob never entered the city. A very considerable number, however, did march into the town, but they met with such a determined set of men that their expedition proved similar to that kind of the nursery rhyme, who " marched up a hill with twice five thousand men, and then marched them back again. It is said that a body of men laid in ambush in the cemetery to waylay the invaders when they returned, but that they escaped by unwittingly taking another route. Whatever the truth may be, there was no blood shed on this occasion, and there was no possible chance of the mob effecting anything they sought. It was a miserable fiasco and only serves to show how the excitement of the time obscured the judgment of the people. An incident is related which, laughable as it is, in the light of the issue, might have been a very serious matter. It is said that some of the boys got the idea that in case of war, in the event of killing a man, the marksman obtained the horse of his victim, and it is further stated that boys were found in possession of loaded pistols, " marking their man," and only waiting for the firing to begin to secure their share of the trophies. Under such circumstances it is marvelous that a serious affray was not precipitated, and may be explained probably on the theory of an " armed reconnaissance." There were frequent rumors of other raids, but it proved in each case to be " sound and fury, meaning nothing."
Two companies of troops were raised early in 1861, by Captains Livingston and Byers, and in May, the Board of Supervisors appropriated money to uniform them, but this action was subsequently found to be illegal and it was rescinded. The Board subsequently appointed the Supervisor of each township a committee to supply the wants of needy families of volunteers, and in 1863 a levy of a half mill was made for this purpose. There seems to have been no disposition to withhold any aid that could be properly given, and they thus expended some $2,500.
One or two attempts were made to provide bounties for volunteers, but the majority of the Board opposed the expense. On January 31,1865, under the threatened draft, the Board was moved to offer a bounty, and recorded their action as follows : " Whereas, the Board of Supervisors of Richland County, from motives of patriotism, and desire of furnishing men to fill the quotas demanded by the government, it is therefore ordered by the Board of Supervisors of Richland County that a bounty of $100 be paid to each of eighty six volunteers on their being mustered into the service and credited to Richland County." Provision was made for securing the money for this outlay, and it was subsequently provided that such as had put substitutes in the army, had served, or families who had lost a member in the service, should be relieved of the tax imposed to pay this bounty. Only some twenty seven men were paid this bounty at first, but claims were subsequently made and allowed which made the aggregate expense of the county for bounties reach the sum of $3,400. The total expenditure from the county treasury in relation to its volunteers reaches only $5,900. The Adjutant General's report gives the summary report of the quotas and credits of Richland County as follows: Population in 1860, 9,709. First and second class enrollment in 1863, 1,492; in 1864, 1,483; revised enrollment, January, 1865, 1,403. Quotas, 1861, 272; 1862, 186; under the call of February 1, and March 14, 1864, 336; under the call of July 18, 1864, 231. The total quotas up to this time was 1,025, and the total credits, 1,523, making an excess of 498. to the credit of the county. On December 31, 1865, the net quota of the county was 495, just equal to the excess to its credit; it had an additional credit, however, of 54, making a total credit of 1,577, an excess of 54 above the total quota for the war. It would be impossible to trace the citizens of Richland County in the army if attempted; a considerable number found their way in Missouri regiments, and in numbers of from two to twenty in a number of Illinois regiments. A few names are found on the rolls of Company D, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry; of Company F, Forty Sixth Illinois Infantry; companies H and K, Forty-Eighth Illinois Infantry; Company D, Forty Ninth Illinois Infantry, and Company I, Sixty Sixth Illinois Infantry
Eighth Illinois infantry
In Company D, of this regiment, Richland County was represented by nearly a full company. It was not the first raised here but it got into the field first, and was mustered in the second regiment that Illinois sent out. The company first enlisted for the three months' service, but subsequently enlisted for three years. The first officers of the company were; Captain, John Lynch, who was soon afterward promoted and succeeded by William S. Marshall; First Lieutenant, L. M. Statesman; Second Lieutenant, J. H. Roberts. During the three months service it was stationed at Cairo, Ill., where it was mustered out at the expiration of its term of enlistment. It was reorganized on July 25, 18(51, with the following officers : L. M. Statesman, Captain ; J. W. Robards, First Lieutenant; J. B. Jones, Second Lieutenant. Lieutenants Robards and Jones were subsequently promoted regularly to the captaincy, Albert W. Birch being commissioned First Lieutenant subsequently, and Augustus E. Barrett and Daniel Bows holding the commission of Second Lieutenant successively, in the company. The reorganized company contained a number of men from Jasper County, and while an extended sketch of the regiment will be found in another part of this volume, it will not be out of place to give a concise sketch of the regiment's career. The regiment remained at Cairo. Ill., after its reorganization, until October, 1861, when it was ordered to Bird Point, Mo. From this point in February, 1862, the Eighth embarked for the Tennessee River and took part in the attack on Forts Henry and Donelson. In March, it proceeded to Savannah on its way to Pittsburgh Landing. In the engagement at this place, the regiment was severely handled, and out of 478 officers and men, it lost 132 killed, wounded and missing. This great loss is partially accounted for by a charge which the Eighth made in company with the Eighteenth Missouri on a Rebel battery. The battery was captured, but the fearful tire of the guns told in the list of casualties. After the fatigues and dangers of the siege of Corinth, the regiment proceeded to Bethel and subsequently to Jackson, where it remained till November 10, 1862, when it was ordered to Lagrange, Tenn. Here the Eighth remained until early in January, 1863, the monotony of post life being varied by an expedition to Water Valley. On moving from Lagrange, the regiment proceeded to Grand Junction and thence to Memphis. From thence it embarked for Lake Providence, and subsequently to Milliken's Bend; in May, took part in Sherman's campaign about Jackson, and followed the enemy up to his lines about Vicksburg. Here on the 22nd., the regiment took part in the terrible assault on Fort Hell, and during the siege the line of the regiment was within 300 yards of Fort Fisher, and in the vicinity of which Grant and Pemberton arranged the terms of surrender. The regiment remained here until February 3, 1864, when it commenced the Meridian Campaign, under General Sherman. The regiment re-enlisted and was veteranized March 24, 1864, and returned to Illinois for veteran furlough. On its return to the field it was consolidated with another fragment, and remained at Vicksburg, taking part in various expeditions until October, when it embarked for Memphis. On January 1, 18()5, the regiment left for New Orleans, and was stationed some fifteen miles above the city. The Eighth took part, subsequently, in the campaign against Mobile, and then returned to New Orleans. May 81, it started for Texas, arriving at Marshall in June. Here it was stationed until the early part of 18H6, when it was ordered back to Baton Rouge and was mustered out May 4, and arrived at Springfield, Ill., some nine days later.
Sixty Third Illinois infantry
In this regiment Richland County was represented by nearly four full companies. The first Colonel, Francis Moro; the second Lieutenant Colonel, Henry Glaze, who went out as Major, were both from Richland, as was also the Chaplain, Stephen Blair. The companies from this county were mustered into the service as Companies A, C, E, and I. The officers of Company A, were: Richard McClure, Captain; First Lieutenants, C E. Cartwright, until June 30, 1863, and V. E. Phillips; Second Lieutenants, V. E. Phillips, until June 30, 1863, and Simeon Myers. Of Company C, the officers were: W. M.' Bougan, until April 9,1865, and John Snuffin, Captains; Alfred Laws, until February 24, 1864, John Snuffin until June 6, 1866, and J. N. Carlisle, First Lieutenants; Jacob Lewis, until April 10, 1865, and James N. Pope, Second Lieutenants. Of Company E, the officers were: Captains, H. E. Gilbert, H. H. Walser and W. C. Keen; First Lieutenants, H. H. Walser, W. C Keen, Charles Drennan; Second Lieutenants, W. C. Keen, J. A. Jordan, Henry Donely. Of Company I, Captains, J. B. Craig, G. F. Glossbrenner, J. H. C. Dill; First Lieutenants, G. F. Glossbrenner, J. H. C. Dill, Peter Kelley; Second Lieutenants, J. H. C. Dill, I. S. Robinson. This regiment was organized at Camp Dubois, at Anna, Ill., in the month of December, 1861, by Colonel Francis Moro, and mustered into the United States service April 10, 1862. On the 27th instant, it was ordered to Cairo, and from thence, in the middle of the following month, to Henderson, Ky., but returned to Illinois in a few days. In the early part of August, the Sixty Third was ordered to Jackson, Tenn., and assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Seventh Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, Colonel Stevenson, of the Seventh Missouri, commanding the brigade, and General John A. Logan commanding the division. In September, Colonel Moro resigned, and Lieutenant Colonel McCown took command of the regiment.
On November 10, the regiment moved with the army to Lagrange, and on the 28th marched with the advance against Pemberton, compelling his retreat to Grenada, Miss., when the force returned to Lagrange. Here the regiment remained until the latter part of January, when it was assigned to the provisional Division of General Veach, but did not move until May, 1863. The Sixty Third then proceeded to Vicksburg, and went on picket at Young's Point until May 21, when it crossed the river at Warren ton, and completed the investment of the city on the extreme left. Three days later the regiment was ordered to report to Gen. Logan, on the right center, and on the same night was relieved by the Forty Sixth Illinois, which lost five companies captured that night. On the following day the regiment reported to Logan and was assigned to duty. In June the regiment was assigned to Mower's Brigade, Seventeenth, Army Corps, and moved to Milliken's Bend, to protect the place. On June 16th, the Sixty Third took part in the fight at and destruction of Richmond, La., and returned to Young's Point, where it remained until after the surrender and then went on post duty at Vicksburg, July 5, 1863. In the same month it was assigned to the First Brigade, Seventh Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, Col. J. J. Alexander, of the Fifty Ninth Indiana, commanding the brigade, Gen. John E. Smith commanding the division.
September 12, the regiment moved to Helena, Ark., from thence in the latter part of the month to Memphis, and in the following month toward Chattanooga. On the 7th of October, the division was assigned as Third Division of the Fifteenth. Army Corps. The regiment reached Chattanooga via Bridgeport, Ala., on the 20th, and participated in the battle of Mission Ridge on the 23d and 24th. of November, 1863. On the defeat of the enemy the Sixty Third took part in the pursuit as far as Ringgold, Ga., when it returned to Bridgeport, Ala., and subsequently moved to Huntsville to go into winter quarters, arriving there December 26, 1863. On January 1, 1864, 272 men re-enlisted as veterans, and on April 3, were ordered home on furlough, arriving at Centralia on the 10th of the month. May 13, the furlough having expired, the regiment left Centralia and reported at Huntsville, Ala., on the 21st of the month. Two days later the regiment moved to Triana, on the Tennessee River, and on the 15th of the following month returned to the army, and moved thence to Kingston via Chattanooga, where it was assigned to railroad guard duty till November 11, when the command was ordered to join General Sherman. From this time on it participated in the march to the sea, leaving Atlanta, on the 15th of November and arriving at the defenses of Savannah, December 10; participated in the attack on the Ogeechee Canal, and on the 12th moved to Miller's Station, on the Gulf Railroad, where it kept up a strong picket line on the approaches until December 21, when the city surrendered. The Sixty Third was then assigned to guard duty at Forts Wimberly, Beaulieu, Bonaventure and Rose Dew.
January 19,1865, the regiment started under orders through the Carolinas. At Sisters Ferry, the high water forced the brigade to return to Savannah, from whence it proceeded by water to Beaufort,, and from thence rejoined its corps at Pocotaligo, S. C, January 30, 1865. From this point forward the Sixty Third took part in the Carolina campaign, losing one officer and twenty five men by the explosion of the arsenal at Columbia, S. C The regiment shared in the battles and skirmishes of this campaign, losing five men at Lynch's Creek, and Lieut.Col. Isaminger, commanding Division Pioneer Corps, who was captured not over 300 yards from the head of the column. On March 21, the regiment took part in the battle of Bentonville, and on the 24th entered Goldsboro. Here the regiment remained until April 10, and while here was complimented by the Inspector General of the Army of the Tennessee, for the appearance of the camp and the soldierly bearing of the men. The non veterans were mustered out on the 9th, and on the following day the regiment moved to Raleigh, and on the 25th, the Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, being discontinued, the Sixty Third was transferred to the Second Brigade, Fourth Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. In the latter part of April, the regiment moved to Richmond, and from thence to Alexandria, taking part in the grand review at Washington, on May 24, and going into camp three miles north of the city. In June, the regiment moved via Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Parkersburg on the Ohio River, and thence to Louisville, Ky., where it encamped on the Woodlawn Race Course. July 13, 1865, it was mustered out of service, and left for Camp Butler, Illinois, where the regiment arrived July 16, 1865. A summary of the regimental statistics is as follows: Original aggregate, 888 men. Present when re-enlisted, 322 men. Two companies were not eligible as veterans, but of the eight remaining companies, 272 re-enlisted. Arrived at Camp Butler with 272 men. Distance traveled by rail 2,208 miles; by water, 1,995 miles; by marching, 2,250 miles a total of 6,453 miles.
Ninety-Eighth Illinois Infantry
This regiment was organized of men drawn from the counties of Jasper, Crawford, Richland, Clay, Effingham and Marion. Of the regimental officers, Richland County contributed the first Lieutenant Colonel, Edward Kitehel, who subsequently was promoted to Colonel and Brevet-Brigadier-General; D. D. Marquis, originally Captain and promoted to Major and Lieutenant-Colonel; F. D. Preston, Quartermaster. Companies B and G were principally drawn from this county, and a considerable number in H. The officers of Company B, were: Captains, D. D. Marquis, W. E. Hoffman; First Lieutenants, W. E. Hoffman, W. C Rickard, Austin Jenkins; Second Lieutenants, W. C Rickard, T. W. Scott, Austin Jenkins, Milton Chaplin. The officers of Company G, were from other counties, save the original ones. These were: Frederick A. Johns, Captain; L. D. Laws, First Lieutenant; William Jobes, Second Lieutenant. Of Company H, Richland furnished the Captain, Thomas Johnson, and Ephraim Martin, First Lieutenant. T. W.. Scott of Company B, was subsequently Captain of Company K, of the same regiment. The Ninety Eighth Infantry, Illinois Volunteers, was organized at Centralia, Illinois, September, 1862, by Colonel J. J. Funkhouser, and mustered into the United States service on the 3d of the same month. On the 8th instant, the regiment proceeded under orders to Louisville, Ky. At Bridgeport, Ill., while en route, the train was thrown from the track by a misplaced switch, and Capt. O. L. Kelley and seven men killed, and seventy five wounded. On the 9th the regiment moved to Jeffersonville and went into quarters at Camp Joe Holt. On the 19th it moved to Shepherdsville; on the 30th to Elizabeth town, and from thence to Frankfort, where it arrived on the 9th of October. . On the 11th, it moved in quest of an enemy to Versailles, from which the rebels retreated, leaving some 200 sick in the hospital. The regiment at this time was in the Fortieth Brigade, which was made up of the Seventy Second and Seventy Fifth Indiana Infantry, Ninety Eighth Illinois Infantry and Thirteenth Indiana Battery, Col. A. O. Miller, of the Seventy Second Indiana, commanding. This brigade was assigned to the Twelfth Division of the Army of the Ohio.
Returning to Frankfort after the expedition to Versailles, the regiment with its brigade marched via Bardstown, Munfordville and Glasgow to Bowling Green, where it arrived on the 3d of November. On the 10th the brigade and division moved to Scottsville, thence to Gallatin on the 25th, to Castillian Springs on the 28th, and to Bledsoe Creek on the 14th of December. Here Gen. Reynolds took command of the division. The Seventeenth Indiana Infantry was also assigned to the brigade, Col. Wilder of that regiment assuming the brigade command, and on the 26th of December the march was begun northward in pursuit of Morgan, reaching Glasgow on the 31st. From this point, on January 2,1863, the brigade proceeded to Cave City, and from thence to Nashville and Murfreesboro. Here the regiment was assigned to the First Brigade, Fifth Division of the Fourteenth Army Corps, the brigade being composed of the Seventeenth and Seventy Second Indiana, One Hundred and Twenty Third and Ninety Eighth Illinois Infantry. In the latter part of January, the brigade made an expedition to Bradyville and returned to do guard duty for forage trains and scouting. Early in March the Ninety Eighth was ordered to be mounted, and 350 men were provided with horses by the loth. Soon afterward the whole brigade was mounted, and on the 1st of April moved out on an eight days' scout, going to Roan, Lebanon and Snow's Hill and return. On the 13th, the brigade moved to Lavergne and Franklin, returning to Murfreesboro. On the 20th, the brigade again moved out to McMinnville, and destroyed a cotton factory and captured a railroad train; on the 22d and 23d, moved by way of Liberty to Alexandria and joined Gen. Reynolds' command; on the 27th raided to Lebanon, capturing a large number of horses and mules and on the 29th, returned to Murfreesboro. May 6, the One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois was assigned to the brigade and mounted instead of the Seventy Fifth Indiana, and in the latter part of the month the brigade made a reconnaissance to the front, driving in the enemy's pickets with some loss. On the 31st the Ninety Eighth was armed with the Spencer repeating rifle, which proved an effective arm. In June the command moved out on the Liberty road, and attacked the First Kentucky and Eleventh Texas Cavalry, capturing twenty prisoners and live wagons. June 16, it moved to Dark Bend, on the Tennessee River, and on the 10th attacked the enemy at Liberty, driving their rear guard of 150 men to Snow's Hill.
On the 24th of June, the Army of the Cumberland moved out on the Chickamauga campaign, the Ninety Eighth occupying a position on the right Hank. At Hoover's Gap the regiment came in contact with the enemy, repulsing them, and suffering a loss of one man killed and five wounded. The brigade then moved on the flank of the Fourth Division, cutting the railroad at Decherd, driving the enemy from the stockades, and returning to the army at Manchester on the 1st of Jul.. From this time to the 16th of August the regiment was in the vicinity of Wartrace and Decherd foraging for horses and mules, capturing about 1,000 head. The brigade was about this time further augmented by the addition of the ninety-second Illinois, and moved with the general advance of the army in August, over the Cumberland Mountains and "Waldron's Ridge to Poe's Tavern, and September 9, forded the Tennessee and moved in advance of Chittenden's Corps, toward Ringgold. On the 11th, it moved to Tunnel Hill, skirmishing with Forrest; 12th, moved to Gordon's Mills; loth, laid in line of battle, skirmishing with the enemy, and on the 14th, moved to Stephensons Gap. On the 17th, moved to Alexander's bridge, and on the 18th the battle of Chickamauga began. The Ninety Eighth did good service in this action and lost five killed and thirty six wounded, Col. Funkhouser being wounded. During the remainder of the month the regiment marched to Stevenson, guarding prisoners, and returned. On the 1st of October, this brigade, with the First and Twenty Fifth brigades of cavalry under Gen. Crook, started in pursuit of Wheeler. On the 2d, the command, crossing Waldon's bridge, moved through Sequatchie Valley to the summit of the Cumberland Mountains, and on the 3rd, the Ninety Eighth Illinois and Seventeenth Indiana came upon a brigade of the enemy, left as a rear guard, and attacked it, defeating the enemy and inflicting a loss of fifteen or twenty men. Pushing forward, the expedition drove the enemy from McMinnville, on the 4th, and on the 7th came up with the enemy near Shelbyville, charged him and captured fifty prisoners, losing only two wounded in the enslavement. The Ninety Eighth was engaged in the succeeding fight at Fannington, and was engaged in the pursuit of Wheeler until the 19th instant, when he crossed the Tennessee and escaped. The brigade then went into camp at Maysville until the 21st of November, when it proceeded to Chattanooga and was numbered Third Brigade, in the Second Division of Cavalry, Gen. Crook commanding; the Ninety Eighth regiment had 200 effective men, mounted.
The Second Division proceeded at once across the Chickamauga on pontoons, and marched up the Tennessee River to Bly's Ferry, and thence to Tine's Station, cutting the railroad and telegraph lines in sight of Bragg's camp fires. On November 24, the command captured a wagon train of sixty wagons and moved into Cleveland. On the 26th, the Ninety Eighth had a slight skirmish with the enemy, losing two men wounded. On the 28th of November, 1863, the regiment numbered 150 men, mounted, the dismounted portion returning to Huntsville under command of Major Marquis. On December 1, the regiment was in the advance of Sherman's army, came in contact with the enemy and drove him as far as Loudon. Thence the line of march led across the Little Tennessee, to Knoxville; thence to Maysville and Murphy, and going into camp on the 15th, at Calhoun, on the Hiawassee River, the regiment numbering at this time only 111 men and officers. On the 28th of December, the regiment was engaged in a skirmish with Wheeler's cavalry, driving them some distance, and capturing the Inspector General of Kelley's rebel division.
The regiment recuperated in camp during the winter, and in the early part of February was reinforced by the balance of the regiment with Col. Funkhouser. In the meantime, also, the brigade had been assigned to the Second Division of Cavalry. On the 23d and 24th of February the command was engaged at Buzzard's Roost, losing twelve men wounded, and on March 1, moved to Cleveland. Subsequently the regiment moved to Ringgold, and went on picket duty, extending the line toward Nickajack. About the middle of April the regiment moved, under orders, to Columbia, marching via Bridgeport, Battle Creek, Decherd and Shelbyville. In the latter part of the month, the Ninety Eighth, 400 strong, moved to the front, arriving at Lafayette, Ga., on the 9th of May. On the 11th, the regiment marched to Villanon; on the 14th, toward Rome; 16th, to Lay's Ferry; 19th, marched through Kingston; 23d, crossed the Etowah and moved toward Van Wert, and on the 24th, through Van Wert to within two miles of Dallas, where the enemy was met and driven into Dallas. Here, after a day's skirmishing, the command moved toward Powder Springs. On the 28th, the regiment occupied a position on McPherson's right, where it dismounted and repulsed a charge of the enemy; on the 29th, it moved to Burnt Hickory. June 9, it made a reconnaissance beyond Big Shanty; dismounted and drove the enemy five miles, and on the 19th and 20th, moved out to Noonday Creek, where it had a brisk skirmish with the enemy. On July 3, it marched through Marietta, skirmishing heavily on the following day, and on the 5th, moved toward Roswell factory and became engaged with a light force of the enemy, finally taking possession on the 9th instant. Passing the Chattahoochie to Cross Keyson, the 17th, the command struck the Atlanta & Augusta Railroad, sixteen miles east of Atlanta, destroying several miles of track, and on the 19th returned to McAffee's bridge; moved to Decatur, on the 21st, and thence to Oxford and Covington, capturing a railroad train and sixteen prisoners, burning the railroad bridge and. returning on the 24th to Decatur.
The command immediately moved in support of Stoneman, in the movement on Atlanta and Mobile Railroad, the division atone time being entirely surrounded by the enemy, but cutting its way out, it returned to the rear of Atlanta. On the 1st of August, 1864, the division was ordered to occupy the works vacated by the Twenty Third Corps, which it held until the loth, when it moved out, and on the 20th, joined Kilpatrick on the reconnaissance to Decatur. The regiment participated in Sherman's flank movements to Rough and Ready, and went on picket at Jonesboro, from the 4th to the 8th of September. From this point the Ninety Eighth moved to Decatur, thence to Blake's Mills, and on the 19th, went on a scout towards Lawrenceville; on the 21st, moved to the support of Kilpatrick via Atlanta, Dry Pond and Sand Town; crossed the Chattahoochie, on the 24th, and reconnoitered toward Campbelltown, and thence moved to Lost Mountain and Ackworth. On Hood's departure for the North, the division was detached to watch his movements, and on October 4, camped near Kenesaw moving thence to Rome, Adairsville, Snake Creek Gap, Chattoogaville, Gaylesville, and on the 21st attacked and routed Wheeler, at Rudd's Farm, near Little River. On November 1, the Ninety Eighth turned over its horses and equipment's to Kilpatrick, and on the following day moved to Calhoun. Thence the regiment proceeded to Nashville and Louisville, where it laid in camp until December 25, waiting for horses and equipment's. The regiment was then ordered to Bardstown, to intercept the enemy under Gen. Lyon, and on the 31st, moved to Elizabethtown. On the 12th of January, 1855, the command passed through Nashville, Tenn., and marched via Columbia and Mount Pleasant to Gravelly Springs, Ala., remaining in camp at that place until March 13. The regiment moved thence to Waterloo and Chickasaw Landing. On the 22d of March, it commenced the spring campaign, with the First, Second and Fourth Cavalry Divisions, 12,000 strong, General Wilson in command.
On the 31st, Montrevalle was reached, Roddy's rebel command being driven out by Gen. Upton. On April 1, the enemy made a stand at Ebenezer Church, but were driven by four companies of the Seventeenth Indiana. On April 2, the regiment participated in the capture of Selma. In this engagement the Fourth Division having failed in their assault, 1,600 men of the Second Division made the attack, and carried the works. The loss of the Ninety Eighth, in this action,, was nine killed and two mortally wounded, six officers wounded and twenty one men. The number of the regiment engaged was only 172. On the 9th, the division crossed the Alabama River, and on the loth, entered Montgomery. Thence the line of march led through Columbus to Macon, which was entered without opposition. The Ninety Eighth was detailed for provost duty, and served in the capacity of provost guard until May 23, when it started for Chattanooga and thence to Nashville, where it went into camp near Edgefield. Here it was joined by Maj. Marquis, with the balance of the regiment which had been detached. On the 27th of June, 1865, the regiment was mustered out, the recruits being transferred to the Sixty First Illinois Infantry. The Ninety Eighth reached Springfield, Ill., on the 30th of June, and was finally discharged July 7, 1865.
One Hundred and Thirty-Sixth Illinois Infantry
This regiment was organized in 1864, in response to the urgent demand for troops for special duty, through the especial influence of Col. Johns. Of this regiment companies C and G were largely formed in Richland County, though there was perhaps not more than one full company in all. The officers of Company C were : Joseph Berry, Captain; E. C Compton, First Lieutenant; C. H. Robinson, Second Lieutenant. Of Company G the officers were: James St. Clair, Captain; J. H. Carsin, First Lieutenant; Peter Brillhart, Second Lieutenant. The regiment was organized at Centralia and mustered into the United State's service for 100 days, on June 1, 1864. The regiment was ordered to Columbus, Ky., where it did post duty for some time, varying the monotony of garrison experience by an expedition to Maysville, where it had alight skirmish with Price's force. The One Hundred and Thirty Sixth was subsequently ordered to Chicago and from thence to Saint Louis, where the regiment found comfortable quarters in Benton Barracks, for two or three weeks. The regiment was then ordered to Alton and thence to Springfield, Ill., where it was mustered out, October 22, 1864.
One Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Illinois Infantry
Company E, of this regiment, was drawn from Richland County and was officered by Captain, I. O. Leger; First Lieutenants, Ephraim Beasley, until May 31, 1865, and Samuel Mitchell; Second Lieutenant, Samuel Mitchell, until June 14, 1865, and the vacancy thus made was not filled. The One Hundred and Fifty Fifth Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, by Col. G K A. Smith, and mustered into the service February 28, 1865, for one year. On March 25, the regiment, 904 strong, moved via Louisville and Nashville, to Tullahoma, Tenn., and reporting to Gen. Milroy was assigned to the command of Gen. Dudley. On June 17, the regiment was divided into detachments of twenty or thirty men each, and assigned to guard duty, on the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, occupying the block houses from Nashville to Duck River, a distance of fifty miles. On September '4, the regiment was mustered out of service, and moved to Camp Butler, Ill., where it received final payment and discharge.
Sixth Illinois Cavalry
This regiment drew its material from a wide area of territory in the State, Company E being chiefly derived from Richland County. John Lynch, the Colonel of the regiment when mustered out, having gone out as First Lieutenant of Company E, rose through the ranks of Captain, Major and Lieutenant Colonel to that position. The officers of the company were : Captains, Isaac Gibson, John Lynch, Edward Ball, H. W. Stewart; First Lieutenants, John Lynch, Edward Ball, H. W. Stewart, Joseph Frazier; Second Lieutenants, E. G. Tarpley, H. W. Stewart, Sylvanus Gard, T. M. Shields. This regiment was organized at Camp Butler, Ill., November 19, 1861, and six days later moved to Shawneetown, where it encamped until the following February. It then proceeded to Paducah, Ky., and from thence to Columbus, where the regiment was divided, five companies going to Trenton, Tenn., five going to Memphis and two remaining at Paducah and Bird's Point. During the spring and summer of 1862, the several detachments operated against the guerillas and were in several minor engagements, the more important of which were at Dyersburg, Tenn., and Olive Branch and Coldwater, Miss., in all of which the detachments of the regiment were successful, suffering an aggregate loss of two killed, six wounded and one taken prisoner. Early in the fall of 1862, the detachments were again united at Memphis, and on November 2(^, 1862, the regiment formed the advance of Gen. Sherman's Army Corps, in its movement toward Grenada, Miss. In the latter part of December, it was engaged, with others, in the pursuit of Gen. Van Dorn, after his raid upon Holly Springs, engaging him for seven consecutive days. In January, 1863, the regiment returned to Lagrange, Tenn., where it went into winter quarters, and operated against the numerous bands of partisan rangers. While thus engaged, the regiment, on one occasion, surprised and routed Richardson's command, near Covington, Tenn., capturing their entire camp equipage, ammunition, books, papers, etc. Again, on the 29th of March, a detachment of the regiment was attacked, at midnight, by a superior force, and although, in a manner, surprised by a murderous volley poured into them while still sleeping, the command repulsed the enemy with effect. For the gallantry displayed a special order was issued by Gen. Smith, complimenting the officers and men. In this engagement Lieut. Wilson and eight men were killed, and Lieutenants Baker and Anderson with twenty nine men were wounded.
In April, 1863, the Sixth Cavalry was engaged in Grierson's famous expedition through Mississippi and Louisiana. In this expedition the regiment traveled about 800 miles, was engaged a number of times with the enemy, destroyed a vast amount of property and arrived safely at Baton Rouge, La., May 2, 1863, after a continuous march of seventeen days. In June and July, 1863, the regiment operated under Gen. Banks, in the siege of Port Hudson. On June 2, the Sixth Cavalry formed a part of Col. Grierson's expedition to Clinton, La., and on the following day had a heavy engagement with the enemy, returning to or near Port Hudson, La., June 4, with a loss of two killed, four wounded and three taken prisoners. Port Hudson having capitulated, July 8, 1863, the regiment embarked, on the 19 Th., for Memphis, where it arrived in the latter part of the month. In August, the regiment marched to Germantown, Tenn., where it encamped until November 28, 1863, when it participated in Col. Hatch's expedition to Covington, Tenn.; then to Lagrange, there encountering Gen. Forrest's forces. A sharp engagement ensued, but discovering the enemy was flanking around in the direction of Moscow, the expedition was ordered to Moscow, where it had a heavy engagement, the Sixth Cavalry sustaining a loss of live killed, six wounded and twenty taken prisoners and two missing. The enemy was finally routed and driven fifteen miles, the regiment returning to Germantown, Tenn., to its old camps, where it continued operating against Generals Forrest and Chalmer's forces, until February 17, 1854, when it formed a part of Gen. William S. Smith's expedition to West Point, Miss. At this point the regiment took part in a three days' engagement with Gen. Forrest's command and returned to Germantown, where it remained in camp until March 30, 1864, when the regiment re-enlisted as veterans and was ordered home to Illinois on furlough.
May 11, 1864, the furlough having expired, the regiment rendezvoused at Mattoon, Ill., and moved thence to Memphis, Tenn., where it encamped until July. Seven companies were ordered at this time to Collierville, Tenn., to guard the railroad until Gen. A. J. Smith's expedition could move on and capture Guntown, Miss. This detachment subsequently rejoined the regiment at Memphis, having suffered, while on special duty, the loss of Lieut. E. Ball, killed, and two men captured while on patrol duty at Collierville.
In August, 1864, all the effective part of the regiment joined in Gen. A. J. Smith's expedition to Oxford, Miss., engaging the enemy under Gen. Forrest at Hurricane Creek, Miss., and suffering a loss of three men killed, and six men wounded. The detachment that was left at the camp, at Memphis, participated in the fight with Forrest when he made a raid on that place. Col. M. H. Starr was mortally wounded and one man slightly wounded, and Lieut. Miller and one man captured in this engagement. The regiment then returned to White Station, Tenn., where it encamped until the 1st of October, 1864, when it composed a part of Gen. Hatch's expedition to march through West Tennessee to Clifton on the Tennessee River. There it joined Gen. Washburn's expedition of infantry. The infantry disembarked and moved in the direction of Lawrenceburg, Tenn. Gen. Hatch's division of cavalry composed the advanced guard. After two days' march the infantry returned to Clifton, and the cavalry moved on to Lawrenceburg, thence to Savannah, Tenn., and returned to Clifton, where it remained for a few days. The infantry embarked on steamers and returned to Memphis. Gen. Hatch's division of cavalry moved rapidly to Pulaski, Tenn., where it encamped for a few days. On its arrival, the Sixth Illinois Cavalry was ordered back on a two days' scout, on the Clifton road, and returned to the command at Pulaski. It then marched with the division down on Shoal River, near Florence, Ala., where it skirmished daily with Gen. Hood's forces, while they were crossing the Tennessee River. The division fell back in advance of Hood, to Lawrenceburg, where it had a five hours' engagement with the enemy, and then fell back to Columbia. After crossing the Duck River the command halted for a few days, when the Sixth Cavalry was ordered to move rapidly to Shelbyville, Tenn., then cross Duck River and move twenty miles down the river and cross at Pike Ford, and return to the command at Columbia. After two days' march the regiment arrived at Shelbyville, and on the third day reached Pike Ford. On arriving there it was ascertained that Gen. Forrest's entire command had crossed the river, six miles below, the clay before. By this time the rebel scouts were discovered in every direction. The regiment being then almost in the rear of the entire rebel forces, the only chance to escape capture or annihilation was to swim the river and cut its way through, which was done with entire success. After crossing the river, the march was resumed, constantly skirmishing with the rebel patrol and flankers. After marching eighteen miles, the regiment encamped, so near the enemy that their fires could be seen, and they could be heard chopping wood. Next morning the regiment resumed its march at 1 o'clock, and rejoined the command at Franklin, Tenn., at 10 o'clock in the forenoon. Its loss on the expedition was eight men missing. The battle of Franklin began at 1 o'clock the same day, in which the regiment took an active part. After the battle was over it marched to Nashville, Tenn., with the command, where it arrived about the last of November, 1864.
On December 5, 1864, the regiment was ordered on an expedition to Glasgow, Ky., and on the 13th returned to Nashville. On the following day the Sixth Cavalry was a part of the force that charged and captured the first two redoubts, and nine pieces of artillery, and a number of prisoners. This closed the first day's fight. On the second day, the cavalry was remounted, and moved on the right flank, but finding the country too rough, was compelled to dismount and fight on foot; and while the infantry engaged the enemy on the left and center, the cavalry encamped it on the right. In the afternoon, the enemy's lines were broken, and a general stampede ensued. The cavalry was again remounted, and ordered to pursue the enemy. The cavalry had another engagement about dark, which terminated in the complete route of the enemy, who was pursued to Florence, Ala., where the chase was abandoned. From this point the command proceeded to Gravelly Springs, where it encamped until February, 1865. The regiment then moved to Eastport, Miss., where it remained until July 3, 1865, when it was ordered back to Nashville, Tenn., thence to Decatur. From the latter point it marched with Gen. Hatch's expedition to Montgomery? Ala., where it arrived July 25, 1865, and remained until the last of August, when it moved to Demopolis, Ala., remaining there six days. The regiment was then divided, six companies to remain and six to march to Montgomery ; remained at these stations until the last of September, 1865, when the six companies at Montgomery were divided into detachments. Two companies marched to Opelika, Ala., one company to Tuskegee, and the other three remained at Montgomery. November 1, 1865, the regiment was ordered to proceed to Selma, Ala., to be mustered out of service, which occurred November 5, 1865. It was at once ordered to Springfield, Ill., for final payment and discharge, which occurred on the 20th of the month.
The regiments recited above do not include all that drew volunteers from Richland County. A considerable number of men went out in other companies whose principal strength was recruited in the neighboring counties. Of these, the principal ones are: Company B, of the Twenty First Infantry; Company H, of the Sixtieth; Company H, of the One Hundred and Thirtieth; Company E, of the One Hundred and Fifty Fourth, and Company F, of the Fifth Cavalry. In the Seventy--First Illinois Infantry, Richland County contributed a large number to Company B. Jasper County may justly claim the organization, as it gave the officers, and in Part III. of this volume will be found a complete roll, and an extended account of its activities during its time of enlistment. It will not be out of place, however, to notice it briefly here. The regiment was recruited wholly within the area covered by the Seventh Congressional District of that date. It was rendezvoused at Mattoon, and mustered into the United States service on the 28th of June, 1861, after first being mustered into the State service for thirty days It was mustered by Capt. U. S. Grant, who subsequently became its Colonel, and later rose through the various ranks to General, and as President, to the Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy. This regiment was ordered to repair to Quincy, and for the discipline of the men the Colonel conceived the idea of marching them to their destination, and the regiment actually made the distance to a point beyond the Illinois, when further orders changed its destination. On the 4th of July, 1861, the regiment marched for Missouri; on the 22d, arrived at Mexico, then by rail to Ironton ; thence, in October, to Fredericktown where it go into its first fight. In January, 1862, the Twenty First took part in Gen. Steele's expedition to Jacksonport, Ark., and thence to Corinth. On the evacuation of that place the regiment joined in the pursuit of the enemy as far as Booneville, Miss., when it returned and formed a part of the expedition to Holly Springs. In August, of 1862, it was ordered to join Buell's army in Tennessee, and arrived at Louisville after a long march, September 27, 1862. The regiment at once set out on the campaign against Bragg, participating in the fights of Perryville, and Chaplain Hills. From thence its route led to Crab Tree Orchard and Bowling Green to Nashville, Tenn. In the Chickamauga campaign the Twenty First did gallant service, and was severely handled at the battle of Murfreesboro. The regiment followed the fortunes of this army through its career, and was subsequently ordered to Texas, and was mustered out at San Antonio, Texas, December 1(5, 1865, but was not finally paid and discharged until January 18, 1866.
Sixtieth Illinois Infantry
Of this regiment, Company H was made up of volunteers from Union and Richland counties, the latter being represented by some thirty men, with a few in other companies of the regiment. The Sixtieth Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Dubois, at Anna, Ill., February 17,1862. It was ordered a week later to Cairo, and on March 14, to Island No. 10. After the surrender the regiment returned to Columbus and thence to Cairo. In May, it moved up the Tennessee River to Hamburg Landing, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, Army of the Mississippi. The regiment was engaged in the siege of Corinth, and in the subsequent pursuit of the enemy beyond Booneville. It then returned and camped at Big Springs, three miles from Corinth, until July 21, when it was ordered to Tuscumbia, Ala., and thence to Nashville. Here it remained during the investment of the city, all communications being cut off until the 8th of November. During this time the regiment had some severe experiences, both from the lack of supplies and the persistent attacks of the enemy. In December it was transferred to the Second Brigade, Third Division, Fourth Army Corps. January 5,1863, it had a lively skirmish with Wheeler, repulsing him, and after the battle of Murfreesboro, in which it took part, it returned to Nashville. In July, the Sixtieth moved to Murfreesboro, and thence in August, via Columbia, Athens, Huntsville and Stevenson to Dallas, Tenn. The regiment was here assigned to the First Brigade, Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, and participated in the battle of Chattanooga and the memorable march to Knoxville, Tenn. The ragged and foot-sore regiment arrived again at Chattanooga, December 24, and went into winter quarters at Rossville. In February, 1864, three fourths of the regiment having re-enlisted as veteran volunteers, was mustered, and a few days later took part in the reconnaissance toward Dalton, Ga., which resulted in the battle of Buzzard's Roost, in which the Sixtieth lost heavily, forty two being killed or wounded. On March 6, the regiment was ordered home on veteran furlough.
On the expiration of the furlough, the regiment proceeded via Louisville, Nashville, and Chattanooga, to Rossville. On May 2, began the Atlantic campaign, the Sixtieth participating in the battles of Ringgold, Dalton, Resaca, Rome, Dallas, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta and Jonesboro. The regiment was complimented by division and corps commanders for its gallantry at Jonesboro. During the larger part of September, 1864, the regiment remained in camp at Atlanta, when it moved by rail via Athens, Ala., to Florence. Here it had a skirmish with the enemy, driving him across the Tennessee River. Thence the regiment moved to Chattanooga; marched from Lafayette, Ga., to Galesburg, Ala., and from there to Atlanta via Rome, Kingston, Carterville and Marietta. November 16, the regiment marched from Atlanta, on the Augusta road, via Covington, Milledgeville, Sandersville, Louisville, and thence to Savannah, Ga., arriving at the outer defenses, December, 11, 1864. During the march the regiment foraged liberally off the country, and captured many mules and horses, besides the negroes that left the "plantations to follow every part of the army.' December 21, 1864, the Sixtieth entered Savannah, and on January 20, it broke camp and marched via Sister's Ferry, Barnwell, Lexington, Columbia, Winnsboro, Chesterfield, and Hanging Rock in South Carolina, and Lafayetteville, Averysboro, and Bentonville, to Goldsboro, N. C The regiment participated in the battles of Averysboro, and Bentonville, the first day of the latter fight being as severe as any in which the regiment was ever engaged, at onetime it being surrounded on all sides, but behaving gallantly under the disadvantageous circumstances. April 10, the Sixtieth marched to Raleigh, where it remained until Johnson's surrender, when it marched to Richmond and Washington City, participating in the grand review of May 24, 1865. June 12, it proceeded to Louisville, and there performed duty as provost guard, until July 31, when it was mustered out of the service, and proceeded to Camp Butler, Ill., for final payment and discharge.
One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Infantry
The Adjutant-General's report from which the sketches of these regiments are principally drawn, has been little information in reference to this regiment. Company H was officered from Richland County, and some thirty of the men were residents of this county. Its officers were: J. R. Johnson, Captain; First Lieutenants, Joel Gardner and C S. Crary; Second Lieutenants, John Blew and C S. Crary. This regiment was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, in October, 1862, and was mustered into the United States service on the 25th of October. It moved to Memphis, Tenn., on the 18th of November, where it was assigned to provost duty. It was mustered out of service in August, 1865, at New Orleans, and returned to Illinois, where it received final payment and discharge, August 26, 1865. The meager record f found in the Adjutant-General's Reports, does injustice to the services of this regiment, but this arises, probably, from the neglect of the proper officer to give the data to the State authorities. Such information as could be gathered from the resources at command will be found in Part III. of this volume.
One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Illinois Infantry
Company E of this regiment was organized of volunteers from Lawrence and Richland counties, the latter giving the Captain, and the other giving both Lieutenants. The officers were, Captain, F. A. Johns; First Lieutenant, J. H. Wright; Second Lieutenant, G. B. Danforth. This regiment was organized at Gimp Butler, Illinois, and mustered into the one year service February 22,1865. The One Hundred and Fifty Fourth at once left by rail for Louisville, Ky., thence to Nashville, where it was detained by high water until March 2, and then went forward to Murfreesboro. Here the regiment spent the time drilling and doing guard and picket duty. Fresh from the protection and comforts of home, it suffered very much from the exposure of cold rains, and sickness prevailed to a great extent, many of the men dying from this effect. In May, the regiment marched to Tullahoma, where it remained about a month. It then returned to Nashville, where it was assigned to picket, guard, and garrison duty, and many of the officers on courts martial and military commissions; Col. McL. F. Wood, commanding the regiment, died August 6, while Commander of the Post. The Surgeon of the regiment was also a victim of disease while stationed here. September 18,1835, the regiment was mustered out at Nashville, and ordered home to Illinois for final payment and discharge, which occurred on the 29th of September, 1865, at Camp Butler, Illinois.
Fifth Illinois Cavalry
Both Jasper and Cumberland counties contributed men to this regiment, and Richland County, while not giving officers to any company, gave about a third of the file of Company F, and several representatives to other companies of the regiment. A fuller sketch of the regiment may be found elsewhere, but it is deemed proper to give a concise statement of the regiment's service here. The Fifth Cavalry was organized in November, 1861. From the home camp it was ordered to Saint Louis, where it occupied Benton Barracks for some two weeks, and then moved to Pilot Knob. In the latter part of the month it moved to Doniphan, where it first met the enemy, capturing his camp and inflicting a slight loss. In June it was ordered to join Curtis' army at Jacksonport, and thence proceed to Helena. At this point, the regiment was employed in foraging, scouting, and fighting Marmaduke.
May 29, 1863, it embarked for Vicksburg, landing at Snyder s Bluff. From this point, on June 3, it made a reconnaissance to Mechanicsburg, skirmishing heavily with the enemy for ten miles in a running fight, which resulted in a set fight and a victory for the Federal troops. In July, the Fifth Cavalry moved with Sherman's army against Jackson, and with the brigade to which it was attached, made a successful raid to Canton and back. In August it participated in another raid to Grenada, Miss., in which bridges, railroad track and stock were destroyed to a large extent. Some forty engines and 320 cars were burned from inability to remove them on account of burned bridges. The expedition returned to Memphis, but a week later, embarked for Vicksburg and camped at Black River until May, 1804, when it moved to the city of Vicksburg. In October the regiment took part in the movement on Jackson, under Gen. McPherson; took part in a cavalry charge, at Brownsville, routing the rebel, Gen. Wirt Adams. January 1, 1864, many of the regiment re-enlisted as veterans, and after taking part in Sherman's Meridian raid, were furloughed. The veterans returned in May, and in the latter part of the month, eight companies were dismounted. Companies A, B, C and D, were fully mounted and equipped. This battalion was then employed in an expedition to Jackson, under Gen. Dennis; in a raid down the river, landing at Port Gibson, Natchez, Tonica Bend, and thence across to Woodville, coming in contact with various bodies of the enemy and routing them. A month after its return to Vicksburg from the latter raid, it was sent out to destroy the Mississippi Central Railroad, by which Hood was receiving his supplies, and was eminently successful. January, 1865, the battalion moved to Memphis, from which place it shared in an expedition to southern Arkansas and northern Louisiana, returning in February. After an expedition to Ripley, Miss., it was assigned to guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. In July, the battalion was sent to Texas, and was assigned to post duty at Hempstead, where it remained until October 6, 1865, when it was ordered to Springfield, Illinois, for final payment and discharge. It was mustered out October 27, 1865.
A recent Soldiers' Reunion held in Olney left an unexpended balance of money subscribed by the citizens, and it is proposed to constitute it as a nucleus of a fund to procure a monument to commemorate the soldiers of Richland County, who lost there lives in the war of the Rebellion. This balance is only $300 but the project has received such practical encouragement that there is little doubt of its ultimate success. Philip Heltman is a prime mover in the enterprise, and a committee, consisting of Gen. Eli Boyer, William Bower and H. M. Hall, have been appointed to take charge of the matter. It is proposed to erect a monument worth some $2,000 or $3,000; H. M. Hall, has proposed to provide the foundation, and Peter McDonald has guaranteed $100, while other assurances of subscription are not wanting to promise a speedy realization of the committee's plans.
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails