10th Cavalry Volunteer Infantry

Roster of Men from Schuyler County in 10th Cavalry
Enlisted for Three Years Service
  Compiled from various sources including obituaries, newspapers, Combined History of Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, 1882 and Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908.


Company I
Name Military Info Note
Frakes, Robert Recruit, mustered out November 22, 1865

Company K
Name Military Info Note
Corbridge, W. H. H. Recruit, discharged December 27, 1862, disability
Herbert, Francis M. Recruit, mustered out October 22, 1865
Scanland, Sidney B. Recruit, mustered out November 22, 1865
William, Wilson Recruit, deserted September, 1862

Company M
Name Military Info Note
Curry, John W. Private, died at Pilot Knob, Missouri, June 2, 1863



  Was organized November 25th, 1861, at Clear Lake near Springfield. James A. Barrett was its first Colonel, who resigned (for the good of the service) May 15th, 1862, and the same day Col. Dudley Wickersham was appointed Colonel of the Regiment. On the 20th Dec. 1861, it moved to Quincy, Ill., where it remained doing picket duty at bridges and block houses on the Hannibal and St. Joe R. R. for about six weeks, then moved to Benton Barracks, from there to Rolla, Mo., thence to Springfield, Mo. To follow this regiment on its line of march, from this time until January 1st, 1866, when it landed within two miles of its starting place, would be difficult work. The track of this regiment crosses every township in Southwest Missouri, from one to five times. About the 1st of June, 1862, the first Battalion and 2d Wisconsin Cavalry, Gen. C. C. Washburn commanding, were ordered to join Gen. Curtis' army on White River. After a hard march and some fighting with the rebel forces under McBride and Jackman, they reached Curtis' army at Jacksonport, Ark., on the 4th of July, and started next day on the march to the Mississippi River. The Battalion participated on this march in the engagement at Cache River, where Gen. Rusk's rebel forces undertook to stop the advance of Curtis. After reaching Helena, the Battalion were on constant duty scouting and doing picket duty, taking part in three raids in Mississippi under Gen. Washburn. Col. Conrad Baker and Col. Lippincott were on the first expedition against Arkansas Post. About the 1st of May, 1863, were ordered to join Gen. Grant's army at Milliken's Bend, La., and were left at this place to do patrol duty while the army moved around Vicksburg, were in two fights at Richmond, La., and at the engagement at Milliken's Bend, June 10th. June 16th moved to Young's Point, and was used there for scouting purposes to watch the movements of Gen. Dick Taylor's army. After the surrender of Vicksburg, was ordered to join the regiment via Helena, Ark. The 1st and 2d Battalion during this time were doing hard duty in the Southwest, fighting guerilla bands that infested that country; they took a prominent part in the battle of Prairie Grove. Col. Wickersham commanded the Cavalry forces in this engagement. The Regiments were united while on the march from Southeast Mo. to Little Rock, and took part in the different engagement in this campaign under Gens. Steel and Davidson, and at the final capture of Little Rock. In Dec. 1863 about 500, nearly all of the Regiment, took advantage of the government's proposition to re-enlist as Veterans, and came home on thirty days' furlough. At expiration of furlough were sent to Nashville, Tenn., to form part of the army of the Cumberland, but soon after arriving there they were joined by the non-veterans and recruits. From this time until January, 1865, they were on constant duty, marching, scouting, fighting Price's, Marmaduke's and Shelby's rebels. Jan. 1865, the 10th was consolidated into nine companies, and the 15th Cavalry into three companies, and all reorganized into the 10th Ill. Veteran Vol. Cav., Col. James Stuart commanding. Feb. 1865, was ordered to the Mississippi River and to New Orleans, from thence to Mobile, but owing to lack of transports only a part of the Regiment went to Mobile. The Regiment was in New Orleans when the news of the death of President Lincoln was received. The prompt and energetic action of the Regiment undoubtedly saved the city from a scene of bloodshed and confusion, and won from the General commanding a flattering compliment in General Orders. In the attempt of the Rebel Ram Webb to run the blockade she was recognized by a member of the Regiment, and the authorities notified of her character. She was blown up thirty-five miles below the city. The entire crew except a few were captured by companies D and G. June 1st, were ordered up River and landed at Shreveport, Louisiana. Co. D. was detached here and sent to Marshall, Texas with the 8th Ill. Infantry, and done duty gathering up Rebel arms, until they were ordered to rejoin the Regiment who were then on the march from Red River to the Rio Grande under the command of Gens. Merritt and Custer. They reached San Antonio in August, and from there several extended trips were made to the mountains North and West, ostensibly after Indians, but really to accustom the inhabitants to blue coats. The order to muster out was received and executed Nov. 22, 1865, were then ordered to Springfield, Ill. (by way of the Gulf) for final pay and discharge. On the way from Galveston to New Orleans they were put on an unseaworthy vessel in company with the 2d Ill. Cav. and came near being shipwrecked, were caught in a storm, and after drifting for two days and nights were towed back to Galveston, and reloaded on another vessel. They arrived at Camp Butler, January 1st, 1866, in a blinding snow storm, the men were poorly clad, having just come from a warm climate, they suffered terribly. They received their final pay and discharge January 6th, 1865.

back to Civil War

back to index

© 1999- 2009 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved