William M. Cox, M. D.
Biography

From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 164-165, a reprinted by Stevens Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
  William M. Cox, M. D., one of the leading members of the medical profession in Brown county, Illinois, was born five miles from Jacksonville, Morgan county, Illinois. His father, Charles Cox, was a native of Virginia, and removed from that State to Kentucky, where he married; he afterward removed to Indiana, and thence to Morgan county, Illinois, where he was one of the early settlers; he located there previous to the "winter of the deep snow" (1830-‘31), and experienced all the hardships and privations of that year. His brother, Hon. Jerry Cox, settled there at the same time. He entered a tract of Government land, on which he erected a log cabin. For several years after his settlement there wild game was plentiful, and the merchandise was brought from St. Louis by teams. The first railroad in the State was the one from Jacksonville to Naples, and the cars were first drawn by horses. Mr. Cox improved his farm, built good frame buildings, and resided there several years. He removed to Adams county and bought a farm, on which he made his home one year; at the end of that time he sold and moved to Hancock county, where he purchased a large tract of land opposite Keokuk; there he was extensively engaged in general farming, raising and feeding large numbers of live-stock, and carrying on a profitable business. He married Rachel N. Craig, who was born in Kentucky and died at her home in Hancock county; his death also occurred at the home farm. They had a family of seven children, six of whom grew to mature years. William M., their son, received his education in the public schools, and at the age of nineteen years turned his attention to the study of medicine; his first work was done under the direction of Dr. McGougin, of Keokuk, and he afterward entered the medical department of the Iowa State University, from which he was graduated in 1860; ten years later he received a diploma from the college of Physicians, New York, and in 1878 he was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa. He began the practice of his profession at Bloomfield, Iowa, in 1860, and upon the breaking out of the Civil war he entered the United States service as First Surgeon of the Third Iowa Cavalry; after three months he was stricken with typhoid fever and was compelled to resign his position. In 1862 he settled in Liberty, Adams county, and remained there until 1877, when he came to Mount Sterling, where he has since been in active practice. He has been an indefatigable worker, a close student, and has kept fully abreast of the times upon all subjects pertainings to the great science.
  The fire of May, 18902, destroyed his library, which was one of the most extensive and valuable to be found in Illinois outside the city of Chicago.
  Dr. Cox was united in marriage to Effie M. Morris, who was born in Payson, Adams county, Illinois, a daughter of Israel and Emily H. Morris. Of this union one child has been born, Eleanor M. The mother and daughter are members of the Presbyterian Church. Politically, the Doctor affiliates with the Democratic party. He is a member of Hardin Lodge, No. 44, A.F. & A.M., and of Delta Commandery, No. 48, K.T. He belongs to the Adams County and American Medical Societies, and is highly esteemed in professional, business and social circles for his many excellent traits, his ability as a physician, and his unswerving devotion to his country's interests.



Back to bios

© 1999- 2009 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved