The following  was written by Edward Young and typed from hand written notes left in his desk by daughter, Betty Adair <Blaquilt@macomb.com>
Edward Young, Born: January 10, 1889, Died: March 10, 1987: I was born January 10, 1889 at the Northwest Quarter of Section 30, in Eldorado Township in a two-room log house with a lean-to kitchen.  Father and Mother’s bed stood in the front room.  Under their bed was a trundle bed which could be rolled out at night-time and be pushed back under in the day-time.  A little ladder led to a scuttle hole in the ceiling which my two older brothers, Willis and Orrie, would climb to sleep in the loft.  I have heard them say that in the snowy weather they would have to shake the snow off their covers before they could get up.
  My mother passed away there February 12, 1893 when I was four years old and sister Grace was coming six years; Orrie, 11 years; and Willis, 13 years.  Father’s sister, Olive Young, came to stay with us.  Father also kept a hired girl to help with the work.  After Mother passed away, Father would often rock me singing "I have anchored my soul in the haven of rest, I will sail the wide seas no more, the tempest may wave o’er the wild stormy deep …." (Haven of Rest).  Father never went to church but was always ready to take anyone who wanted to go.  Grandfather Young was a Quaker and belonged to the Friends Church.
  In the spring of 1894, Father moved from the farm in Eldorado Township to the Dick Pennington farm north of Industry, later owed by Bert Pennington.  On September 4, 1894, father married Marilla Belle Wilson and to this union one child was born, Sister Nellie Young.  At the age of six, I started spring term at the McGaughey School, north of Industry.  While on the Pennington farm, Father lost one of his best horses and all of his hogs with Cholera.  He stayed there two years then moved to the Henry Garrison farm south of Industry where Archie Pennington owned and lived.  Father got started raising hogs again and had a nice bunch (I think in 1897).  He was offered $.025 for them so he bought corn from the neighbors for $.15 a bushel and kept them over until the next spring; then, sold them for $.03 lb.  That was in Grover Cleveland’s time.
  I remember the first steam engine I ever saw while we were living on the Garrison farm.  Uncle Ed Wilson and Zenith Moore came with a small clover huller and a little upright steam engine.  One team of horses was pulling the engine and another team was pulling the huller.  It took several days to pull the clover as the engine and huller were both small and hulling the clover did not go very fast.
  Father always raised his own wheat for flour; cane for molasses; and buckwheat for pancakes.  I remember going to Vermont with him on a sled and we had it piled full on the back with wheat and buckwheat to have ground into flour for our bread and pancakes.  He hauled the cane to Industry to the molasses mill that Uncle Lu Kerr  had ran on the corner where John Heaton lived.  Uncle Lu made us a barrel of sorghum molasses.  About half of it went to sugar and Father had to take the head out of the barrel so we could get the molasses out.  The molasses was used on the table and also to make taffy and popcorn balls.
  Geneva Clugston (born sixteen days after me) and I started to Runkle School where I finished.  We hadn’t met since that time until in our late 90’s at the Elms Nursing Home in Macomb.  Her name was Geneva Gorsuch.  My sister, Grace, and I would walk to Runkle School and every now and then we would see Darius Runkle riding a horse.  We thought he was a fine old man.  I remember him well.  One evening, I think it was in 1896, Father was summoned to the Runkle home.  Mr. Runkle was very sick and passed away that night.  I remember going to the funeral with my folks.  The corpse was in a spring wagon or hack and everyone else was in surreys, wagons or whatever they had.  Darius was George Runkle’s father.
  In the spring of 1899, we moved to the Gardner farm southeast of Industry. It consisted of 240 acres. That was the spring Uncle Ely Young was killed. Nellie's mother, Marilla, passed away in May of that year. Again, Aunt Olive came to stay with us and a hired girl helped with the work. I remember that spring we had a big snow in April and we kids built a snowman south of the house. I have a picture of it and we four kids, Willis, Orrie, Grace and me taken on April 14.
  We had quite a few fruit trees on the farm and a lot of apple and peach butter and preserves were made as well as canning the fruit. I have known Father, when we had no cellar, to dig good-sized holes out in the garden, line them with straw, fill one with apples, one with potatoes, and one with cabbages. He would cover them with straw and mound them with dirt. In the winter we would chop a hole in the side and reach in for apples, potatoes or whatever we wanted at the time. Then we would stuff the hole with straw and it would be ready for the next time. The apples were the best flavored that you ever tasted.
  I think about that time threshing was done with steam engines and a straw stacker was pulled behind the separator. It was called a traveling stacker and two or three men would be on the straw pile to build and shape it up. One man stood on the front of the separator and fed grain by hand into the separator. Usually two boys, one on each side of the man feeding, cut the bands.  I have seen a lot of this done but I was too short when I was a kid to reach the table.
  Next a blower was installed on the back of the separator and that was the end of the traveling stacker. After so many years came the self-feeder and that was the end of the hand-feeding and hand-cutting. For several years they threshed with steam engine and separator, then came the combines which are still in use yet today.
  While living in Flat Woods, Uncle Ely Young was killed; Uncle Morgan Young passed away; Nellie's mother passed away and Grandmother Young passed away. She was John Young's third wife. On February 7, 1900, Father married Carrie Victoria Kimble and to this union one child was born, brother James Ira Young.
  Also, while living in Flat Woods, Father raised a large number of Chester White hogs; black Angus cattle; and, black chickens.
  Uncle George Young with his son, Forrest, and Father and I would take a wagon to Beardstown to get melons. We would park in a grove of pecan trees and sleep under the wagon on the ground that night. The next morning we would load up melons and start home.
  When I was about 15 years old, a neighbor boy died and I was asked to be a pallbearer. On a very cold morning, several of us started for lpava on horseback. There were no funeral homes then.
  I helped Father farm until the spring of 1910 when I was 21 years of age. I was going to work out that summer. Orrie was working by the month for Ed Burnham getting $25 per month. My brother, Willis, was farming the Dood's farm down by Doddsville and he asked me what I would take to work for him. I told him that Orrie was getting $25 per month and that was what I would like to have. He said OK, he would give me that and I hired out to him. All other hands I knew of were getting only $20 per month.
  Along that summer Bert Messmore came down from Macomb. He was in charge of renting the farm. He had been to see Willis who had been sick most of the summer but wanted to rent the place for another year. Mr. Messmore came out to the field where I was working and asked me if he did rent to Willis and if Willis was not able to farm, would I take over the farm and see that it was farmed. I told him I would and I worked the year through for him and shucked about 80 acres of corn by hand by myself. I was going with Anna Standard all of that summer. She was born in Section 19 of Eldorado township joining the farm on the north of where I was born. On December 24, 1910, we were married and took over the farm for the next year of 1911. About a week after we were married, on December 31, 1910, Willis passed away with tuberculosis.
  (Ed and Anna had six children and were married 57 years when she passed away February 2, 1968 at the age of 73. Ed lived to be 98 on January 10, 1987 and passed away on March 10, 1987.)
  Betty Adair (5th of 6 children) March 24, 1987
  At one time, the above was published in the McDonough County Historical Society Newsletter.

Back to bios

© 1999- 2009 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved