Hiram Evans

From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 437-438, a reprinted by Stevens Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
  Hiram Evans is a native of the Old Dominion, where he was born, in Washington county, November 4, 1810. His father was Robert Evans, an industrious and upright man, a native of the same State, and was there reared to manhood, and married and there resided until 1811, when he removed to Kentucky, and settled in the famous Rock Castle county, where he continued to reside for several years. He then removed to Woodford county, of the same State, and followed his trade, that of a carpenter, until the year 1853, when he sold out and moved to Missouri, and spent the remainder of his days in Ralls and Monroe counties. His wife, the mother of our subject, was Sarah Peoples, a native of Rock Castle county, Kentucky, in 1813, while the family resided there.
  After the death of his mother, Hiram Evans went to live with his cousin in Rock Castle county, and resided there until the age of fourteen years. He was then large enough and strong enough to be able to do something for himself, and accordingly joined his father and under his directions commenced to learn the carpenter trade. Thus he continued until the age of twenty years, when he started out on his own responsibility even with the world. He went to Louisville, Kentucky, and secured work at his trade, receiving one dollar and twelve and a half cents per day for his services, working from sunrise to sunset. Thus he continued at hard work for eleven months, when he went to Vicksburg, Mississippi, where he found employment at $60 per month and board. He followed the carpenter trade in Mississippi and Kentucky until 1836, when in June of that year he came to Bushnell, Illinois, and has here since resided. Illinois at that time was very wild, and deer and other wild animals roamed over the prairies. Mr. Evans entered a tract of 200 acres in Henderson and McDonough counties, but did not settle there. He commenced the business of contracting and building at which he continued successfully for many years; but finally turned his attention to loan and general brokerage. His business life was successful throughout, and was characterized by industry and honesty. He is now well-to-do, and for the past few years has lived a retired life, enjoying the fruits of his labor, and well earned reputation.
  In 1845, he was united in marriage to Miss Susanna Carrick, a native of Scott county, Kentucky, and daughter of William and Jennie (Campbell) Carrick. To Mr. and Mrs. Evans were born two children, both of whom died in childhood. Mrs. Evans died in 1849. Mr. Evans has been a useful citizen, and was formerly a Whig, but since the formation of the Republican party has served faithfully in its ranks.
  The following interesting incident of early times is related in this vicinity. At that early day little or no attention was paid to the style of dress worn by either women or men. In fact it not uncommonly occurred that when a person attempted to assume a little extra style he was laughed at, if he was not absolutely jeered. On one Sunday a party of civil engineers, unusually well dressed and stylish, attended preaching at one of the Cumberland Presbyterian churches. It so happened on that day that the minister preached on the subject of the sinfulness of dress, and was so severe in his remarks that the party of engineers supposed he intended to be personal, and accordingly became very angry. They thereupon determined to have revenge. The following Saturday, provided with a goodly-sized bag of salt, they went to the church and thoroughly filled the corners and crevices of the same with salt, rubbing it thoroughly upon the steps and around the sides of the building. The next morning about the time services were to begin, all the cattle of the neighborhood seemed to have assembled around the church for a picnic. The people gathered and drove away the cows, but no sooner had they gone inside and begun services than the cattle returned apparently wilder than ever. It is needless to say that very little real devotion was shown in that church on that Sabbath day. The engineers had their revenge.

Back to bios

© 1999- 2009 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved