From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 449-450, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Edward S. Frank, for many years a prominent resident of Brown
county, and identified with the business interests there, was born in
Davidson county, North Carolina, May 23, 1848. His father, William
Frank, was born in the same county, and his grandfather, Peter, was
born in Pennsylvania of German ancestors. He emigrated to North
Carolina and was an early settler of Davidson county. He bought a tract
of land on the Yadkin river and engaged in farming there, where he
spent the rest of his days. William Frank was reared and married in
North Carolina, and came from there to Illinois in 1852. The removal
was made overland by teams. He located at Buckhorn and there
established the post office of which he was the efficient Postmaster.
It was kept in his house at that time. His house was in section 33, of
what is now Lee township. He followed his trade of gunsmith and resided
there eight years, and then removed to the locality known as Mt.
Pleasant and still lives there. His wife's name was Sarah, daughter of
Godfrey and Martha (Merrill) Winkler.
Edward S. Frank was four years of age when his parents brought
him to Illinois. He was reared and educated in Lee township, and at the
early age of fourteen he began to assist his father in the shop, being
a natural mechanic, he soon developed into a first-class workman. He
finally established himself in the blacksmith business at Mt. Pleasant
and continued there nine years, then closed out that branch of the
business. In it he lost less than one hundred dollars on account of bad
bills, and never sued a customer. He was married in 1878, to Martha J.
Morehead of Butler county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of James and
Margaret (Monks) Morehead. She is a member of the Baptist Church, and
they are the parents of two children, Nona Ruth and Jama E.
He saw the need in that section of a regular undertaking
business, and he opened a business of that nature and continued in it
successfully for thirteen years. In 1891, failing health compelled him
to change his occupation and he sold out this business and bought the
farm where he now resides, one mile southeast of Clayton, where he is
now engaged in raising sheep, breeding recorded Shropshire sheep.
Sheep-raising is not a new business to him. While he was in the
blacksmith business he bought a tract of rough land and in clearing it
up he stocked it with sheep, so that he has been in the sheep business
for upward of twenty years. While in the undertaking business he found
it necessary to divert his mind in some way. In this way he began in
his leisure hours to make a study of sheep, and he is now thoroughly
acquainted with the subject of sheep farming and breeding for vitality.
He has raised different breeds, including Merinos, Cotswold, Southdown,
Oxforddown and Leicester, and has proven that the Shropshire are by far
the superior all-around sheep.
Mr. Frank is a Republican in politics. He has one of the most
beautiful homes in the east side of Adams county. It is located on an
eminence and is partially surrounded by a beautiful glade. From the
natural scenery his home takes the name of the Crescent Glade. Mr.
Frank is one of the most prominent men of this section. He is a
thorough business man and all his enterprises, which have been many,
and has been entirely successful. It would be well if all the men in
the county were as well informed, honest and reliable as is Mr. Edward