George Skiles was in War of 1812: File WC 5504 TN
B. A. Johson along with brother William and sister
Susan Migrated together with George. George was in the the war of 1812. He
entered in Tennessee under Col. James Raulston, Capt Mathew Cowan, inf. He
was 2nd LT. in Capt. Cowans CO. at the Battle of New Orleans. 1800 moved
from Green Co. TN. to Jackson Co. TN. in 1816 moved to IN; KY; Wayne
Co. MO. and Schuyler Co. IL in 1825. Erected first mill on Sugar Creek.
Minutes of Feb. session, 1797, Green Co. TN. Minestry of the court
of common please, 1797-1807; Georg Skiles enters into bond with John Skiles
his security in the sum of three hundred dollars for the maintenance of a
bastard child of Jane Grahm. 1 dollar paid.
According to Elva Combs:
"George Skiles was a native of Maryland and arrived in the county
Dec 2, 1826, settling on the 16 section on Rushville twp.. (about 2 miles
NE of the town Rushville.) He had lived in Tennessee, and from that state
he was with General Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. In the fall of
1816 he went to Indiana; subsequently he removed to Kentucky, where he remained
until 1819, when he went to Missouri. From this state he came to Schuyler
county bringing with him a family of 11 children, seven of whom are still
living (1882) four daughters and three sons; John lives in the town of Browning,
James R. in McDonough county, and William C. in Nebraska. All three are ministers
of the gospel. George Skiles held the first corner's inquest ever held in
the county- - - over the body of George Everett, shot and killed by James
Morgan. - -"
"The pioneer perhaps suffers less from almost every other cause than
from insufficient mills to grind the meager harvest won from the primitive
soil. The subject of mills, therefore, engaged the early attention of the
first settlers, George Skiles, David Wallace, and Alfred Wallace set to work
vigorously and erected the first mill in Sugar Creek in section 2 (between
the Skiles farm and Rushville). It was a rud log structure and was at first
merely a sawmill. Two burrs, one for wheat, and one for corn, were added
in 1831. The dam was constructed of logs and dirt and portion of it yet remains.
- - In 1831 they up and down saw and did quit a lumber business. In the spring
of 1829 Thomas Justus, brother- in- law of George Skiles, built a combined
saw and grist mill above the Skiles mill."
"The first religious society in the county was a Methodist Episcopal
Church organized in Aug. 1826. Members included William Skiles, Catherine
Justus, Rebecca Skiles, George Skiles, Polly Skiles, James Justus, John P.
Skiles, Elizabeth Skiles, Moses Skiles, Matilda Skiles. Other Skiles mentioned
are 2 other Johns, 2 James, Betsy, Harvey T,. and another William.
From "The Schuylerite", vol 10 #2, p 57 Schuyler Co. Hist. Soc.:
Bruce A. Johnson's records show that George Skiles died Harlen Co.
NE. , while burial is in Old Ridgeville, near Bader, Browning Township,
Schuyler Co. IL.
FROM: Bruce A. Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org> #109-9312-104
Ave. Edmonton, AB, t5h 4g7 ; phone 403-429-5696; Stephen L. Bulter; 3414-137
St. NW. Gig Harbor, WA. 98332; phone 206-858-8647; Gloria June Danner Ator;
11 W. 3oos. Farmington, UT. Phone 801-451-2704.
Back to bios
© 1999- 2009 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved