From: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois Illustrated
1908, edited by Newton Bateman, LL. D. and Paul Selby, A. M., Volume II,
Schuyler County", edited by Howard F. Dyson, pages 934, a Reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Company, Astoria, Illinois 61501, 1970, is sold by the Schulyer
County Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Strong, Moro S. - Of the men who are helping to maintain a high standard
of farming and stock raising in Rushville Township, credit is due Moro S.
Strong, whose constant research and painstaking efforts have resulted in
the ownership of one of the valuable and paying properties in his neighborhood.
Born in Bainbridge Township, Schuyler County, January 3, 1863, he was educated
in the public schools of Pleasantview, and on his father’s farm received
practical training in the occupation to which he is devoting his life.
His parents, George W. and Frances (Quinn) Strong, were born in Columbiana
County, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky., respectively, the former July 6, 1822,
and the latter July 28, 1829. Both the paternal and maternal family
had to do with the pioneer history of Schuyler County, and the mother, at
the time of her death, had lived here sixty-four years. The father
died October 4, 1869.
Moro S. Strong married Laura Furness, also a native of Schuyler County,
and of their union there were two children: Jesse D., deceased, and Anthony
V., a farmer of Rushville Township. Mrs. Strong died in 1887 and for
his second wife Mr. Strong married Mary Gossage, daughter of William and
Nancy Gossage, and of this union there are two sons: Charles M., and Giles
H. Mr. Strong owns 140 acres of land in Section 25, Rushville Township,
a large part of which is under a high degree of cultivation. This formerly
was known as the Quinn farm, and was settled by Mr. Strong's maternal grandfather,
in 1842. It came into Mr. Strong's possession in 1887, and he moved
on to it two years later, finding there a small frame dwelling, which since
has been replaced by a modern farm house. He has been engaged in general
farming and stock raising continuously, and in 1903 began the extensive breeding
of Hereford cattle, of which he now has a fine herd of registered stock.
Underlying the farm is a five foot vein of coal, and he has opened up a mine
with a capacity of from two hundred and fifty to three hundred bushels per
day of as fine coal as can be found in the State of Illinois.
With his farming, Mr. Strong combined an interest in the general welfare
of the community, and though emphatically opposed to office holding, has
staunchly supported the Democratic party and has lent practical assistance
to the political aspirations of his friends. Fraternally he is popular
and much in demand, and is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and the Modern Woodmen of America.