From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 559-560, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
James M. Patterson, one of the successful farmers of
Cooperstown, residing on section 21, was born in this county, June,
1849. His father was Joseph Patterson, a native of Highland county,
Ohio, who lost his father when very young and was reared by an uncle,
learning the wool-carding business. He came to Brown county, when
young, in company with the family of James B. Russell, making the
journey by team, in 1830. The gentleman with whom he came brought his
family of seven. Mr. Patterson married one of the daughters of Mr.
Russell, Phoebe, whose mother had been a Miss Sarah Lincoln, a native
of Pennsylvania. Her husband, however, hailed from the State of
Vermont. They were married in Fulton county, between 1843 and 1845, and
Mr. Patterson pursued his trade at the Cardic mills, near Versailles,
and then in Versailles. Their next place of settlement was in Elkhorn
township, and later they moved to this county, where he worked in a
flouring mill. He also cleared a fine farm of heavy timber.
The gentleman whose name appears at the heading of this sketch
was reared to farm life, and was offered plenty of opportunity for
improvement, but like many boys of that age he did not appreciate nor
take advantage of his opportunities. When twenty-one he began working
by the day and month.
Mr. Patterson was married January 16, 1879, to Miss Sarah
Howell, born May, 1856, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (Bearel) Howell,
natives of Indiana and North Carolina respectively. Mr. Howell came to
Illinois when he was eleven or twelve years old, in 1832, and was there
married, twelve years later. They bought eighty acres of land, built a
log house, where they spent the first year of their married life, and
then moved to a much better piece of land on which they built a
permanent house, and lived there for twenty-one years, when they moved
one half a mile away. Mrs. Howell died November, 1878, aged fifty-three
years and fourteen weeks; on February 14, the husband followed the
partner of his joys and sorrows, dying at the age of fifty-seven. They
had ten children, but lost all but three, they all dying at the farm,
some in infancy and others later. These good people had been extremely
poor when they were married, but when they died they had 100 acres of
fine land and a property worth about $30,000. They were good, worthy
people who richly deserved their good fortune.
Mr. and Mrs. Patterson began their married life on the old
homestead, where they remained for one and one half years, then, in
1881 bought their present farm of 160 acres, paying $8,000 for it. On
this farm was the present fine frame farm house, built by the former
owner, J. Stiles. They built their large ornamental barn in 1885. It is
a fine structure, 40x60 feet, with eighteen foot posts and a shed
12x60, and they can house sixteen horses.
These good people have buried one infant son and still have two
living: Otho T. and Lee R., the former twelve years old, the latter
nine. They are intelligent little lads, who are fond of their books.
Mr. Patterson is pursuing general farming, growing corn, wheat
and hay, of which he has just cut a fine crop, filling both barns. He
engages in stock raising, having some forty to sixty head of cattle,
hogs, and now feeds sixteen head of horses, three of whom he has raised.
Mr. Patterson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and adheres
strictly to the principles of the Democratic party. Mrs. Patterson is a
devout member of the Christian Church, and she and her husband are
worthy members of the society of Cooperstown.