From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 368-369, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Christian Pilger, a live man and old citizen of Beardstown, was
born in Waldeck, Prussia, in 1836, and came of a good old German
family. His father, Fred Pilger, was at one time city Mayor, as had
been his father and grandfather before him. The same office is now held
by one of the sons in the town of Berich, where the family has lived.
The father and mother of our subject, were good Lutherans and lived and
died in their native country. They had a family of eleven children,
five of whom came came to this country, three of whom are yet living.
He came to Beardstown in June, 1855, a young man twenty years of age.
He was engaged as a bench tailor for some years, when in 1873, he, with
Henry Garm started in business as merchant tailors. He enlisted in
August, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, Captain John M. Johnson and Colonel James W. Judy,
commanding. He was engaged in the battles of Vicksburg, Jackson,
Mississippi, Nashville, thence down to New Orleans, across the Gulf of
Mexico to Mobile, and was in all the battles of that section. In all
this military duty our subject escaped wounds or capture, but twice
suffered sunstroke. He was Corporal of his company when discharged,
August 13, 1865. Since his return he has been a live member of the
place. In 1882, Mr. Pilger's business was carried on for two years
under the name of Pilger & Huge, at which time Mr. Pilger assumed
sole charge of the business until 1889. Mr. Pilger is now engaged in
the real-estate business, is a Notary Public, and carries a number of
lines of insurance. He is agent for the Equitable Building & Loan
Society, of Peoria, and is City Clerk of Beardstown. He has been very
successful in life, and has amassed a good property in this city. The
spot on which his office now stands was formerly the old house site of
Mr. Thomas Beard, who first settled here, established the ferry, and
later laid out the town. Mr. Pilger was for years the proprietor of the
Pilger block on the corner of State and Main streets. He is a worker
for the Boys in Blue, and is a charter member of the McLane Post,
G.A.R., No. 97, of Beardstown, was its first Quartermaster, and has
held the position nearly ever since. The Sons of Veterans of this place
also named their camp in his honor. He has been for many years a member
of Cass Lodge, No. 25, A.F.&A.M., and has taken an active part in
He was married in this city to Miss Margaret Schuman, born in
Baden, Germany, and came to this country when eighteen years of age.
Her parents also came to Beardstown and died here consistent members of
the Lutheran Church. Mr. and Mrs. Pilger are parents of but one
daughter, an accomplished young lady, a leader in social circles and
the wife of William F. Stanley, foreman in the paint shop of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company of this city.