From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler
and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 174-175, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Stephen T. Ranney, a well known member of commercial circles in
Mount Sterling, was born in Elkhorn township, Brown county, Illinois,
January 1, 1847, a son of Solomon Ranney. The paternal grandfather,
Stephen Ranney, was a native of the State of New York, and his father
emigrated from Wales in colonial times, and settled in New York State.
Stephen Ranney was a lawyer by profession, and had a large and
profitable practice. He was married to Olive Jaques, a native of New
York State, who lived to the advanced age of ninety years. Solomon
Ranney removed from New York to Ohio in an early day, and in 1842 came
to Illinois; he spent a few years in Cass county, returned to Ohio, and
again came to this State; he located the second time in Brown county,
and as his means were limited he did not invest in land; he is now a
resident of Pike county, Illinois. His wife's maiden name was Melinda
Reeves, a native of Virginia, who died in 1849.
After the death of his mother, Stephen T. Ranney was taken in
charge by his paternal grandmother, and was reared by her in Elkhorn
township. In his youth he divided his time between the work on the farm
and attending the common school.
There were no events of great importance connected with his
career until 1864. In November of that year he enlisted in Company G,
Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the
war. He was honorably discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, July 13,
1865, after which he returned to his home. He was variously employed
for several years, but finally purchased land in Elkhorn township,
which he cultivated until his removal in 1882, to Mount Sterling, where
he has since made his home.
Mr. Ranney was married in 1877, March 3, to Melinda C. Perry,
who was born November 12, 1847, in Brown county, Illinois. Of late
years he has been one of the most prominent real-estate dealers in the
place, having laid out an addition and built more residences in the
past ten years than any one other individual; he erected the Ranney
Block, one of the handsomest business structures in Mount Sterling, and
has been one of the most enterprising and energetic supporters of the
Politically he is identified with the Democratic party. He
served as Justice of the Peace in Elkhorn township, has represented the
Second Ward on the Board of Aldermen, and in 1882 was elected Sheriff
of the county; four years later he was elected Treasurer of the county,
and in 1890 he was made Justice of the Peace. He has been a director of
the Building and Loan Association since its organization, and in all
the walks of life has shown himself a stanch, reliable man, worthy of
the confidence reposed in him by the community in which he lives.