From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 292-293, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Samuel M. Schroder, a rising young business man of Oakland
township, and one of the most progressive agriculturists of Schuyler
county, was born in McDonough county, Illinois, in 1860, on the 27th
day of April. His father, Nicholas Schroder, was a native of Germany,
but emigrated to America with his mother when a lad of eleven years, in
1837; his father, John Schroder, died in the Fatherland about the year
1830, leaving a widow and three sons in very humble circumstances; the
names of the sons are Christopher, Carson and Nicholas. They sailed
from Bremen to New York, landing after a voyage of six weeks; they came
direct to Pennsylvania, and from there to Schuyler county, and settled
on a tract of Government land which the brave mother and stanch,
energetic sons converted into a farm of great fertility and value.
Nicholas went to California, taking the overland route; he mined for
seven years, meeting with fair success, and then returned to Illinois,
purchasing a farm of 160 acres in McDonough county. He was married in
1858 to Lucinda Phillips, a daughter of Samuel and Amy Philips, who
were settlers in Illinois as early as 1840; they had a family of two
daughters and a son: Amy Ann, wife of John W. Danners; Ada L., wife of
Robert Robertson; and Samuel M., the son, is the subject of this
notice. The parents came to Schuyler county in 1864, and purchased 220
acres of land in Oakland township, on which they lived until 1889, when
they went to Vermont; here they bought a home in which they are now
living in quiet enjoyment of the reward of their labors.
Samuel M. Schroder was reared to the life of a farmer, and
received his education in the common schools. His opportunities were
somewhat limited, but this lack has been more than overbalanced by wide
reading and clear thinking upon all the topics of the day.
Mr. Schroder was united in marriage, in 1880, to Miss Sarah E.
Smith, a native of Fulton county, Illinois, and a daughter of John and
Rebecca (Barcus) Smith, natives of Pennsylvania and Illinois,
respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Schroder have buried an infant daughter, and
have three children living: Harry W. was born December 22, 1882;
Cleveland B. was born March 3, 1884; and Maud, November 2, 1889.
Mr. Schroder first settled on eighty acres of land, and has
since bought the eighty acres adjoining it; he also owned 280 acres in
Schuyler and McDonough counties, which he recently sold at a handsome
profit, after cultivating it four years. He does a general farming
business, making a specialty of corn and wheat in the cereal line, and
cattle, horses and hogs in live-stock. He has represented the people of
his township in various local offices, and has always been a stanch
supporter of home interests and home industries. He was elected
vice-president of the J. Wershon Bank in June, 1892, and is a
stockholder of this corporation. He is possessed of excellent business
qualifications, and has met with marked success in all his
undertakings. Always employing the most honorable methods, he has the
highest regard and esteem of the entire community.