Daniel G. Smith, MD
Biography

From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 431-432, a reprinted by Stevens Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
  Daniel G. Smith, M. D., who resides on a farm in Hickory precinct, Cass county, Illinois, is well known as a prominent and successful physician of this vicinity. Briefly given, a sketch of his life is as follows:
  Daniel G. Smith was born a mile and a half east of Scottville, Macoupin county, Illinois, October 3, 1847. His father, Samuel Smith, one of the pioneers of Macoupin county, was born in Clinton county, North Carolina. Grandfather Smith removed with his family, from North Carolina to Kentucky, where he spent his last years and died. Samuel Smith was reared in Kentucky, and resided there till 1835, when he moved to Illinois, first locating in Morgan county. At that time much of the land in Morgan county belonged to the Government, and he entered land near Woodson, and resided there a few years. He then sold out and moved to Macoupin county, where he bought a tract of land near Scottville, a part of it being prairie, and a part timber. After improving this land, and residing on it some years, he sold out and moved to Franklin; thence to Waverly, where he lived retired from active business until the time of his wife's death. He then went to Franklin, and spent his last days with his daughter. His wife was before her marriage Miss Dorothy Hull, a native of Tennessee, and a daughter of Jesse Hull. The reared eight of their eleven children.
  Dr. Smith first attended the district schools and afterward the Scottville high school. At the age of eighteen he commenced teaching, and taught and worked on the farm for four years. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. G. W. Bradley, of Waverly. He attended one course of lectures at the Cincinnati E. M. Institute, and two courses at the American Medical College at St. Louis, graduating at the latter institution with the class of 1877. He began the practice of his profession in Franklin, and after remaining there four years removed to Virginia. Here he acquired a lucrative practice, and remained a resident till 1889. That year he bought a tract of land in section 1, township 18, range 11, moved upon it, and has since conducted farming operations. He still, however, continues his medical practice, being equally successful in each.
  In 1866 Dr. Smith was united in marriage with Melinda J. Thompson, a native of Wayne county, Illinois, and a daughter of William C. and Amelia Thompson. Dr. and Mrs. Smith have five children living: Charles W., Fred M., Dottie E., Lois and Zella F. Myrtie, the first-born, died in her fourth year, and Katie, the fourth, died in her tenth year.
  Politically, the Doctor is a Democrat. He and his wife and three oldest children are members of the Christian Church.




Back to bios

© 2001- 2008 Sara Hemp
Copyright © 1999-2008 to Genealogy Trails' Schuyler County, Illinois host & each Contributor
All rights reserved