From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 217-218, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Henry W. Taylor, a prominent farmer of Brooklyn township, and an
honored pioneer of the county, was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, in
February, 1824, a son of Alexander and Betsey (Scott) Taylor, natives
of Pennsylvania; the father died at the age of fifty-five years, and
the mother died at the advanced age of eighty years, at Burlington,
Iowa. The paternal grandfather, Matthew Taylor, was born in the north
of Ireland, of English parents. He emigrated to the United States in
1772, and settled in Pennsylvania; he died in Huntingdon county, at the
age of ninety-seven years. His wife, whose maiden name was McIlheny,
was born in Ireland, of Scotch-Irish ancestors; she lived to be
ninety-five years old. Alexander Taylor came to Ohio in 1810, and
cleared a farm out of the heart of the forest. His wife, Betsey Scott,
was a daughter of Nehemiah and Mary (Wick) Scott; her father was a
native of Long Island, and was a descendant of Scotch ancestry, and the
mother of Washington county, Pennsylvania; both died in Trumbull
county, Ohio. The Taylor family have been prominent in the affairs of
both church and State, possessing great intelligence and culture.
Henry W. Taylor received superior educational advantages, and at
the age of nineteen years began teaching school; he followed this
profession two years, and then took a course of law in a private
school. After his graduation he engaged in practice, but in a short
time the California gold fever swept this country, and he determined to
go the Pacific coast. He made the journey overland with four yoke of
oxen, and was on the way from the 1st of April until October 22. He
remained four years, and was engaged in mining during that time.
He was married June 8, 1853, to Miss Cornelia Manlove, a native
of Rushville, Schuyler county, Illinois, and a daughter of Jonathan D.
and Sophronia (Chadsey) Manlove. Mrs. Taylor's father was born in North
Carolina, came to Illinois in an early day, and was married in Schuyler
county in 1826. ( This was the third marriage in the county.) Mr. and
Mrs. Taylor have three children living: Marian H. married T. D. Lewis,
and has three children; Ida M. is at home; Fannette married Dr. J. E.
Camp, and is the mother of three children.
After his marriage Mr. Taylor lived in Rushville township, and
was engaged in operating a lumber yard and building a plank road until
1857, when he sold his entire possessions and removed to Brooklyn
township. He developed a farm of 900 acres out of prairie and timber
land, made many valuable improvements, and has one of the best places
in the county. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church,
of which he is an Elder. Politically he affiliates with the Republican
party, he gave his allegiance to that organization, and cast his
suffrage for J. C. Fremont. He was Justice of the Peace for sixteen
years, was Supervisor for two terms, and has served on the school
board. In connection with his large agricultural interests, Mr. Taylor
has carried on a mercantile business since before the war, purchasing
his first stock in February, 1861. He makes a specialty of raising
fine, blooded stock, and has done much to elevate the standard in this
section. He is a self made man, and a citizen in whom Schuyler county
takes just pride.