From: “Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois Illustrated
1908, edited by Newton Bateman, LL. D. and Paul Selby, A. M., Volume II,
Schuyler County”, edited by Howard F. Dyson, pages 935, a Reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Company, Astoria, Illinois 61501, 1970, is sold by the Schulyer
County Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Strong, Thomas Q., recognized by all who know him as one of the leading
farmers of Bainbridge Township, Schuyler County, Ill., and one of the most
prominent and influential citizens of his locality, was born on the home
farm where his brother, Charles K. Strong, now lives, February 1, 1847.
He is a son of George W. and Frances Strong, natives of Ohio and Kentucky.
Early in the ‘forties his father came from Ohio and settled on the farm,
in Section 1, Bainbridge Township, which was the birthplace of all his children.
Thomas Q. Strong received his education in the Pleasantview school, and assisted
his father in the work of the place, remaining at home until he reached the
age of twenty-one years. Then he rented land from his grandmother,
and started out for himself. When his father’s health began to fail,
Thomas was induced to return home, and after the death of the former, the
son assumed management of the homestead property which he continued for two
years. In 1883, he purchased eighty acres in Section 15 of the same
township, to which he moved during that year, occupying a log cabin of one
room. For ten years this was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Strong,
and in it two of their children were born. In 1893, Mr. Strong built
a new, five-room dwelling, and now has one of the comfortable residences
in the township. He has added ninety-one acres to his original purchase,
and is the owner of 171 acres lying in Sections 10 and 15, Bainbridge Township.
When he took possession, the land had been partially cleared, and he applied
himself to the task of completing the clearing and preparing fifty acres
for cultivation, ultimately developing the tract into a highly productive
farm. He has been a persevering, diligent and thorough-going farmer,
having done his full share to promote the agricultural interests of Schuyler
County, and has been closely identified with its growth and welfare.
Too busy to travel and deeply absorbed in local interests, he has only once
passed beyond the boundaries of his native State in a lifetime extending
over three-score years.
On February 7, 1873, Mr. Strong was united in marriage with Augusta
Crozier, who was born in New York October 9, 1851, a daughter of Richard
Crozier, a narrative of whose live appears in another part of this work.
The children resulting from this union are: Eva, wife of Watson Dodds, detailed
mention of whom is also made in this volume; Stella, who died in infancy;
and Anna, who was married to George W. Ward, September 11, 1906. Mr.
Ward, who has charge of Mr. Strong’s farm, is a son of Jackson Ward, a biographical
record of whom may be found on another page herein.
Politically, Mr. Strong is identified with the Democratic party.
He has rendered able and faithful public service in various township offices,
having been Collector, Road Commissioner and School Trustee for twelve years.
When he was elected to the last mentioned office the financial condition
of the schools was not encouraging, but during his incumbency it was placed
on a sound basis. His colleagues on the School Board were W. H. Reeve
and Vincent Bellamy. Mr. and Mrs. Strong are earnest and active members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and have long taken a deep interest
in church and educational work. For twenty years, he was Superintendent
of the Mt. Carmel Sunday school. Both husband and wife enjoy the sincere
respect and cordial regard of a wide circle of friends.