From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and
Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing
Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 421, a reprinted by Stevens
Publishing Co., Astoria, Ill., 1971, is sold by the Schuyler County
Historical Society, Rushville, Illinois.
Peter S. Williams, of Lee township, was born in Clermont county,
Ohio, in 1847. His father, Alexander, now living at the Mounds, was
born in Ohio, in 1818, and his father, Thomas Jefferson, was a Maryland
farmer who came to Ohio a young man. He died there on his farm of 200
acres. His wife's name was Sarah Jones. Alexander Williams married
Lydia Ann, daughter of David and Sarah Smith. Peter is one of nine
children. His parents came to Illinois and lived in Adams county five
years, where they bought a piece of land. They came by water, bringing
two children with them. They came to Brown county in 1856 and bought a
farm of 120 acres on section 7 and 8, in Lee township. They moved to
Mound Station in 1884, where they have lived ever since. They have
lands also in Kansas. They gave their children a good common schooling.
Mr. Peter Williams raises as many as 100 hogs. He has from forty to 100
head of stock, keeps from fifty to 300 sheep. He has nearly 500 acres
of land all under the plow and also sixty acres of fine timber, from
which he has cut the largest and most valuable oaks and walnut trees.
They have buried one little son, Charles, two years old, and have
besides five children: Ralph, Elmer, Jennie, James and Blanche. They
intend to give them all a good education.
Mr. Williams built his house in 1880. It is a large, two-story
frame building. He built his barn in 1884. It is 34x44, for stock and
hay. He has also built another stock barn, 40x44 feet. He has sold
about two car loads of cattle per annum for the past fifteen years, but
it has not paid of late. Mr. Williams and his wife are worthy citizens
of the county in which they live. Mrs. Williams was born at her present
home, in September, 1835, and married October 17, 1872. Her parents
bought 124 acres in 1832, and also some land in other counties, making
in all about 500 acres. She was Cora Campbell, daughter of William and
Sarah (McCormick) Campbell. They moved from Tennessee into Sangamon
county in 1829.
Mr. Williams is serving his second term as Supervisor and has
served as Road Commissioner for the township. He is a Democrat, a Royal
Arch Mason and a Knight Templar. His family belong to the Missionary