It is not to be wondered at that so many Ohio men have come to Illinois and have here engaged in business, for the conditions of life in the two States are somewhat similar, with the advantages in point of business opportunities in favor of the Prairie State. Our subject is a native of Ohio having been born near Good Hope September 11, 1859. As his name would indicate, he belongs to that race of people of whom we have a great many worthy representatives in this country. He is of German parentage and ancestry, his father, Jacob Hamm, having been a native of Germany, as was also his mother Agnes (Miller) Hamm. The emigrated to this country in 1848. When about eight years of age our subject removed to Shelby County, this State with his parents, who settled in Richland Township, where they died. There he of whom we write grew to manhood, being reared on a farm. He received a common-school education that fitted him for the practical business of life, but remained on the farm till 1873, when he became a clerk for Wilson Brothers, in their business house at Strasburg. There he remained for about four years and then launched into business for himself, becoming proprietor of a mercantile house. He carried a good stock of merchandise and prospered in his new venture and at the end of eighteen months he took a partner, the other member of the firm being J. N. Storm. They continued together for a period of about four years, when they dissolved partnership, and Mr. Hamm built the store which he at present occupies. He carried an extensive and well-selected stock of clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes, with gentlemen's furnishing goods. In 1890, in a company with Henry Stewardson, the original of our sketch built the hardware store in Strasburg and in connection with it they keep a good line of farm implements, furniture, stoves and tinware. They here carry on an extensive business. In 1886 Mr. Hamm built a very large hay bar which he operated for three years. This he finally traded for a farm, of which he owns one hundred and thirty-four acres. Mr. Hamm's married life began in Shelby County, Ill., where was married to Miss Mattie Shelton, a daughter of Joel Shelton, of Strasburg. She was born in Shelby County, this State, and is a woman of marked personal charms and the center of the best social life in the community. Our subject and his wife are the parents of two children, whose names are Wordy K. and Agnes. Our subject has served in various public offices, having been Treasurer of the Village Board for several years. He is now the Treasurer of the Loan Association. As do all loyal American citizens, he of whom we write takes an active interest in political affairs and is a member of the Democratic party, throwing his influence in favor of that party at every opportunity. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
One of the pioneer settlers in Central Illinois who has lived to see the country change from an aspect of wild, uncultivated beauty to that of one of the most productive agricultural regions of the Union, resides on a fine farm on section 36, of Ridge Township, Shelby County. Mr. Hardy was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January 1, 1820, and is a son of Thomas and Nellie (Dutton) Hardy, natives of Maryland and Delaware. Each had emigrated to Fairfield County, Ohio, in early life when the country was new and laborers few. There they met and married.
In 1836 our subject's parents removed to Illinois, locating in Tazewell County, where they rented land which they operated for two years. They then came to Shelby County, in the spring of 1839 and settled in Ridge Township on section 25, where the father entered eighty acres of land. He also pre-empted eighty acres of timber land in Okaw Township, where he resided for the remainder of his life. Our subject's mother died in 1855, a victim of the cholera, which was at that time epidemic. Her husband followed her in 1858. They reared a family of nine children, two of whom died in infancy: Jesse S. died in Shelby County; he married Priscilla Ward and left a wife and three children, one of whom is now living in Kansas. Polly married John Howlet and resides at Charleston, Ill.; Sarah is the wife of James Boys, and resides in Ridge Township, as does also Thomas. George W. makes his home in Hutchinson, Kan. Abigail first married Jacob Leech and on becoming a widow she again married John Cook and at present resides in Iowa. Elizabeth is the wife of George W. Boys, and lives in Ridge Township. Henry H. resides in Medicine Lodge, Kan.
The original of our sketch is a farmer born and bred. He remained under the parental roof until he reached manhood when he was married to Amanda H. Davis, a daughter of Joshua Davis. She was a native of Shelby County, where she was born in June, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Hardy are the parents of six children, whose names are Leah, Mary, Thomas, William, Maud and Florence. Before his marriage, our subject had purchased the land upon which he afterward settled and has since resided on it. He is now the owner of two hundred and five acres of finely cultivated land, upon which a choice variety of grains, fruits and vegetables are raised. The place bears good buildings and many of the improvements both in science and agriculture are applied to make the farmer's life less one of drudgery than formerly. In early life Mr. Hardy learned the trade of a carpenter, which business he pursued for some time, never, however, giving up his agricultural work entirely. Politically our subject is a follower of the Republican party, and he has been for a long time School Director of his district. Mrs. Hardy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and both she and her husband are looked upon as being representative people in the township. Affable, kind hearted and hospitable, they are examples and types of the best agricultural class in the State.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Samuel Harper resides on section 16, of Rural Township, Shelby County. His residence in this county dates from 1854. He was born in Beaver County, Pa., December 28, 1834, and is a son of James and Margaret (McFarland) Harper, both natives of County Antrim, Ireland.
The father of our subject, James Harper, came to the United States about 1825. At that time he had one brother in this country; John Harper, who had come here from the Emerald Isle in 1800. Our subject's maternal ancestors were also natives of County Antrim, Ireland, and of the three children in the family, two sons, John and Robert McFarland came to the United States, where they prepared a home, and their parents and one sister followed them hither two years after their advent into this country. Their sister, Miss Margaret McFarland, was a highly educated lady, and on coming to this country, she occupied herself in the sacred work of teaching the young to grow into noble men and women. She met and married James Harper, merchant of Fairview, Beaver County, Pa., the father of our subject, about 1832. Both parents died in Beaver County, Pa. The mother passed out into the unknown in 1838, and the father in 1849, at the age of sixty-nine years. They had three children, only one of whom, our subject, lived to attain manhood.
The original of our sketch was reared in the mercantile business, receiving a practical business education which fitted him for commercial life. He is a graduate from a commercial college of high standing. Coming to Illinois, he stopped for a short time in Shelby County and then went to Texas, after which he returned to his native State, Pennsylvania, but finally accepted the advice of Horace Greeley, and came West, settling here in Illinois in 1860. Soon after his settling in this State he was attracted by the charms of one of the sweet girls of the Prairie State, and on December 27, 1860, was married to Mary J. Armstrong, who is a daughter of Edward and Margaret (Graham) Armstrong, settlers in Shelby County, from an early day, having come here as pioneers about 1827. They were natives respectively of Knox County, Ind., and of Kentucky. Mr. Armstrong was born in 1814. His wife was two years younger. They were married in Washington County, Ind., but their home was soon after established in Shelby County, this State, where they located on a farm in Ridge Township. There the mother died in June, 1853. The father followed her a number of years later, his decease taking place March 7, 1870.
Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong were the parents of seven children, six of whom lived to be grown. Their names are Mary Jane, Helen, Richard, Emma, William and Iona. Mrs. Harper's father was twice married after the death of Mrs. Harper's mother. By his third wife he became the father of one child whose name is James C. Mrs. Harper's maiden name was Mary Jane. She was born in Ridge Township, January 25, 1841, and was married to our subject, Samuel Harper, December 27, 1860.
After marriage our subject engaged in active service in the War of the Rebellion, enlisting in Company G, of the Thirty-second Illinois Infantry, October 18, 1864. He served until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Bentonville, the siege of Savannah, and was one of the army who was with Sherman in his noted march from Atlanta to the sea. He was a First Sergeant in his regiment and also received a commission as First Lieutenant. At the close of the war he returned to Shelby County and resumed farming. Here he owns eighty acres of land, which is under a good state of cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Harper have had six little ones who have come to their hearts and homes as promises of comfort and support to their declining years. Most of these children are now grown and have families of their own and are respected and honored members of society. Maggie is the wife of Thomas W. Cortmell; Lincoln G. resides in Cheyenne, Wyo.; James Edward and Carrie are engaged in the work of teaching, and have made themselves fine reputations in their chosen calling. Richard G. and Samuel McFarland make their homes with their parents. Two children died in childhood.
Politically, our subject is a Republican and the issues that are vital with his party are those that are likewise most important to him. He has been elected to several positions in township offices, having been Assessor and Township Clerk. Mr. Harper is one of the charter members of the Rural Township Farmers' Mutual Insurance Company, and has been the Secretary of the same since its organization. It is extremely gratifying to him, as to other officers and promoters of the organization, that success and financial standing is assured.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Capt. Henry L. Hart
Capt. Henry L. Hart, who won military honors during the Civil War as an officer of an Illinois regiment, is a prominent citizen of Shelbyville, Shelby County, where he has for some time conducted business as a furniture dealer, and he has also been a conspicuous figure in the municipal government. He was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 20, 1837, a son of Barnhart Hart, who was born in Pennsylvania in February, 1812. The grandparents of our subject removed from Pennsylvania to the Buckeye State during the first quarter of this century, and were among the early pioneers of Fairfield County, where they both died soon after they located in its primeval wilds. Their son Barnhart was very small when he was thus orphaned, and he early had to work for a livelihood. At the age of fourteen he was bound as an apprentice to Mr. Beck, a blacksmith, of Lancaster, and served with him seven years to learn the trade, receiving his board and clothes in repayment for his assistance. At the expiration of that time he did journey work for awhile, and then opened a smithy in the village of Jefferson, and carried on business in his line in that place until 1851. In that year he bought a farm in Violet Township, and has since devoted his time to farming, being one of the prosperous, well-to-do farmers of his neighborhood. In early manhood he took unto himself a wife, whose name prior to their marriage was Mary Wooster, and she was born in Germany in 1812. The following are the names of the eight children that this worthy couple reared to maturity: Francis C., Henry L., Anna M., Charles, John, Elizabeth, Susan A. and Irvin M. John, who was a member of Company K, One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Infantry, died opposite Vicksburg while bravely fighting for his country. In the county of his nativity he of whom these lines are written grew to man's estate, and in its schools be gained a good practical education. He remained with his parents until his twenty-second year, affording his father valuable help on his farm, and he then came to this county. He was employed in farming here until 1861, and then the restless spirit of adventure and the prospects of gain sent him to the gold fields in the Rocky Mountains. In company with others, he started in the month of March on the long and tedious journey across the plains, going with a team to St. Louis, and there embarking team and all on a river steamer bound for Atchison, Kan., whence they proceeded across the prairies to their destination. At that time buffaloes were plenty on the plains, and Indians, who were sometimes hostile, had full sway. Denver, which was then in its infancy, had a population of but three or four hundred people.
Our subject engaged in mining until fall, then returned to this county with the proceeds of his labors. In the month of December he volunteered for service in the Union Army, having determined to join his patriotic fellow-country men at the front to help defend the stars and stripes. His name was enrolled as a member of Company H, Fifty-fourth Illinois Infantry, and he went South with his regiment. In all its campaigns, marches and battles, he was an active participant, and on all occasions displayed true valor, coolness in danger, and promptness in action that mark the genuine soldier, which traits finally won for him deserved promotion from the ranks to the position of First Lieutenant, his commission being received in 1864. From that time he had command of his company, although he was not appointed its Captain until February, 1865. His men fought well under the inspiration of his leadership, and did their part bravely in every battle in which they met the enemy, continuing in the service until after the close of the war, when they and their gallant Captain were honorably discharged.
After leaving the army, Capt. Hart returned to Shelbyville, and for some years was engaged here in the grocery business until failing health obliged him to wind up his affairs and take a much needed rest. After selling out, he spent one year in the South and in his native State, and he then came back to Shelbyville. He was employed as a clerk until 1885, and then established himself in his present business, in which he has been eminently successful. He has a large and well-appointed store, stocked with a full line of furniture and house furnishing goods, our subject making it a point to carry every article used in the fitting up of a modern home demanded by the needs and tastes of his many customers. In 1866 Capt. Hart was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Fishbaugh, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Mordecai and Isabella Fishbaugh. Their wedded life has been one of mutual felicity, and has brought them four sons - Francis C., Lewis H., William R. and Walter E. The Captain is a man of sound business principles, is prompt in his dealings and methodical in the management of his affairs. His fellow-citizens, recognizing these facts, and knowing their value in a civic official, at one time called him to the head of the municipal government, and for four years he served with distinction as Mayor of Shelbyville. He is a true Democrat in his politics, and in his religious faith a firm Presbyterian, both he and his wife being active members of the church of that denomination in this city. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Frederick Hartman is a general farmer on section 22, of Flat Branch Township, Shelby County, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres, which he purchased in the wild state in 1865, and upon which he has since made a comfortable home. The place is well-stocked and watered and the buildings are all good and substantial. He located in this county on coming from Ogle County, where he had lived a good many years, from 1856 to 1865. There he received his naturalization papers, being, as his name would indicate, of German origin and birth.
He of whom we write was engaged in Ogle County as a farmer, where he had been quite successful. Previous to going there he had spent one year in Pennsylvania. Mr. Hartman was born in Pleidelheim, Wurtemberg, Germany, May 11, 1832. His family in the old country are of good stock. His father, Frederick Hartman, Sr., lived and died in his native province, having reached seventy-two years of age. He had married Magdeline Kline, a Wurtemberg lady, who was a true helpmate and companion to her husband. Her death occurred in 1842. She was then in middle life. She and her husband were members of the Lutheran Church.
Our subject is the eldest of seven children, of whom there were four sons and three daughters. Of the sons, all came to this country and all are farmers here, but one, who is a shoemaker in Chicago. Our subject had become of age before leaving his native land, and in 1855, in the month of April, he took passage from Havre de Grasse, on a sailing vessel, and in May he landed in New York City, coming thence to Dawson County, Pa., where he spent his first year, and then proceeded to Illinois.
November 29, 1858, Mr. Hartman was united in marriage at Mt. Morris, Ogle County, to Miss Margaret R. Mitchell. She was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, November 14, 1838, and is a daughter of Jacob and Sarah (McGlinsey) Mitchell, natives of Maryland and Virginia, respectively. Both, however, are of Irish parentage and descent on the paternal side, while on the maternal side the lady is of Scotch descent. Mrs. Hartman's parents were married in Ohio, and later moved to Illinois, settling in Ogle County in 1845, where they located and improved a farm and there spent their last days, passing away at a good old age. They had settled at a very early day in Mt. Morris Township, and had procured unbroken land in the most western part of West Grove Township. For a number of years they were almost the only settlers in that part of the county. They both passed away in 1886, and were deeply mourned by many friends in their adopted home. They were Methodists in their religious preference, and were consistent members and generous supporters of that sect in their township.
The father of Jacob Mitchell was Samuel Mitchell, who had come to Ogle County, Ill., in the early days of 1838, and was one of the earliest settlers there, where he died at the age of seventy-nine years. Mrs. Hartman was one of a large family, of which live are now living. She was ten years of age when her parents came to Ogle County. She afterward lived there until her marriage. She is a true-hearted, kind friend, and affectionate wife and tender mother. Both she and Mr. Hartman are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The original of our sketch and his wife are the parents of eight children. One of these died in childhood. This was Sarah M., who was twelve years of age. The living children are: Jacob F., William H., Henrietta M., George E., John W., Elizabeth and Franklin A. Of these, William was united in marriage to Miss Ada M. Beckett, and is a farmer in this township, Henrietta is the wife of Elmer Pierce. They also live on a farm in this township. George E. and other younger members of the family, all reside at home. They are bright, intelligent young men and women, and promise to make a recognized position for themselves in life.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Daniel N. Harwood
Daniel N. Harwood, of Shelbyville, is one of the most extensive and enterprising dealers in hay in this county. He was born in the town of Winfield, Herkimer County, N.Y. His father, Nathan Harwood, was born in Massachusetts, and was the son of an Englishman who came to this country and first settled in that State. He afterward became a resident of New York and was a pioneer of Herkimer County, buying a tract of timber in Winfield. He cleared his land and developed it into a good farm, which remained his home until his demise.
Nathan Harwood was but a boy when he went to New York with his parents and he was reared to the life of a farmer in their pioneer home. He was married in early manhood to Abigail J. Burt, by whom he had one child, Amher J. His first wife died and he then married again and continued to reside in Winfield until death closed his career, in 1846, while he was yet in the prime of life. His second wife survived him many years and finally died at a ripe age in the home of our subject in Rosamund, Christian County. She reared these children: Mary, Daniel N., Anna, Charles V. and Lucy M.
Our subject was a lad of fourteen years when he had the misfortune to lose his father, and from that time he was obliged to care for himself. Being thus early thrown on his own resources, he became manly and self-reliant and worked well at whatever his hand found to do. In the summer season he worked on a farm and the rest of the year devoted himself to obtaining an education, so that at the age of eighteen he was well qualified to teach. He engaged in that profession a portion of each year and attended West Winfield Academy the remainder of the time for three years. Believing that the West, as this part of the country was then called possessed superior advantages for young men of brain and energy, in 1856 he came to Illinois and located in Knox County. His services were in demand as a teacher and when not thus engaged he employed his time on a farm. A year later he removed to Christian County and bought a farm in Rosamund Township, on which he was a resident until 1864. During that time, in addition to farming, he bought and shipped hay quite extensively.
In the year mentioned our subject came to Shelbyville to engage in the grain business, also continuing to buy and ship hay. He carried on both branches of business some years, but of late has dealt exclusively in hay. He has all the facilities for carrying on his business to the best advantage, including large storage accommodations. He has a warehouse in this city with a capacity of three hundred tons and barracks that hold seven hundred tons. He also buys at Windsor, Mattoon, and Cowden, and at the latter place has a warehouse covered with iron, in which can be stored two hundred and fifty tons of hay, and he has beside barracks there that hold four hundred and fifty tons. At Mattoon he has the largest and finest barn in the State, with a capacity of eight hundred tons.
Mr. Harwood was happily married in 1857 to Miss Ursula E. Moore, who was born in Anson, Me., in 1836, and theirs is one of the pleasantest homes in all Shelbyville. They have three children: Eber M., who married Mary C. Waldon; Florence L. and Clara.
Mr. Harwood possesses a clear, well-balanced, well-trained mind, large foresight and superior business qualities, which characteristics have placed him among our leading citizens. In his politics has always been a true Republican since he cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont. He is a popular member of various social organizations, as follows: Jackson Lodge, No. 53, A. F. & A. M.; Jackson Chapter, No. 55 R. A. M.; Okaw Lodge, No. 117, I. O. O. F.; Big Four Lodge, No. 436, Order of Tonti; and he is also a member of the Royal Temple of Templars, K. of H. and Ancient Order of United Workmen. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
John Philip Heinz
This gentleman who is well known throughout Rose Township, Shelby County, as the efficient and active Supervisor, resides on section 15, where his excellent farm bespeaks the admiration of every passer-by. His father, the late John P. Heinz, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, May 27, 1815. The grandfather of our subject, Jacob Heinz, was a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and was the son of Michael, who spent his whole life in the Old Country. The grandfather of our subject emigrated to this country about 1850, and made his home in St. Louis, Mo., where he spent the remainder of his days. Jacob Heinz had been preceded to the New World by his son John P., the father of our subject. He came here in 1842 when still a single man, and found his wife in St. Louis, Mo. He was married in 1846 and made his home in that city, pursuing his trade which was that of a shoemaker. He came to Shelby County, Ill., in 1853 and settled in Rose Township, where he engaged in farming, which pursuit he followed until his death, which occurred July 6, 1883. The mother of our subject was Dorothy Douth, who was also a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, being born there May 22, 1827. Her death occurred in Rose Township, September 22, 1881.
The eleven children of John P. and Dorothy Heinz are as follows: John, who died in infancy; John P., the subject of this writing; Jacob, a farmer in Rose Township; Catherina, the wife of Philip Boening of Chicago; William, who died in childhood; J. Lewis, a farmer in Holland Township, this county; Maria, who is now Mrs. Jacob Stilgebauer; Louisa, the wife of Jacob Dagen, of Rose Township; Anna M., now Mrs. Gabriel Fadrer, of Rose Township; Frederick W., and Caroline M., the wife of Frederick Roessler.
The subject of this sketch was born in St. Louis, Mo., April 9, 1848, and was thus five years old when his parents removed to Shelby county, and most of his life has been spent here at the home in Rose Township. His early training was taken upon his father's farm and in the common schools and when twenty-two years old he engaged in farming on his own account, renting land for the first year. He then purchased forty acres on section 5, and has added to this by purchase until he now owns one hundred and three acres. Farming has been his chief business, although in 1884 he spent six months in Kansas City, where he was engaged in other employment. Upon this farm he has placed substantial improvements and comfortable buildings. Most of his farm was in timber land and he had this to clear. The marriage of John P. Heinz took place in Rose Township, February 3, 1876, his bride being Miss Carolina Friesner, the daughter of Andrew J. and Sarah E. (Bowman) Friesner, who are now residents of Kansas City. This lady was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January 19, 1858, and is now the mother of three children: Louis P., J. Otto and Caroline V. The election of Mr. Heinz to the office of Township Supervisor, took place in the spring of 1890, and he was re-elected to the same office in the spring of 1891. He has been their Highway Commissioner for seven years and has performed the duties of that office with ability and satisfaction to his constituents. For one year he held the office of Assessor and he has been School Director for six years.
The religious home of Mr. and Mrs. Heinz is with the Lutheran Church, of which they are active members. Political affairs deeply interest this gentleman and as a member of the Democratic party he takes an active part in its movements and plans. He earnestly believes that the declarations of that body embody the principles of true government and will work out the best success for this country. He is a man of keen intelligence and has a good degree of information on matters of public interest, and his reputation as a thorough-going farmer as well as an upright business man gives him a good standing in the community. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Shelby County abounds in a fine class of farmers who have given to this section of the Prairie State an excellent reputation and have been of help in building its commercial and agricultural interests. To such the county owes a debt which is not easily paid and they will leave to their posterity a heritage which will be their best possession. Our subject, who is such a citizen and who resides on section 29, Okaw Township, where his farm is there tributary to the city of Shelbyville, is the son of North Carolina and Kentucky respectively. Samuel Hendricks came to Illinois when a young man and was married in Shelby County, and gave his entire attention to farming, until a few years previous to his death, when, feeling that he had done his share in the work of subduing the soil and adding to the world's riches through its cultivation, he retired from active life and made his home in Shelbyville, where he died in May, 1888, at the age of sixty-two years. His good wife passed from earth in 1881. He was born March 25, 1826, and early became a pioneer of Illinois, coming with his parents to Shelby County in 1831, and thus spent the greater part of his life in this State. His character was such as to give him the warm regard as well as esteem of his neighbors. He was an honored member of the Christian Church from October 5, 1841, and was a constant and true friend of the Union through all the trying scenes of the Civil War. The political convictions of this pioneer made him an ardent Republican yet he could not be called a politician in the usual sense of the word, as his intelligence and extensive reading had made him a man of breadth and he was cordially willing that every man should hold to his own opinions, never cherishing any hostility toward those who differed from him. His honorable attention to the affairs which concerned himself and his willingness to allow his neighbors the same privilege added greatly to his popularity. His funeral, which was one of the largest ever known in the county, attested to the high respect in which this honest and hard-working man was held. Mr. Samuel Hendricks had in his wife a worthy and efficient helpmate, one who made it her aim in life to do good to all with whom she came in contact, and to make her home the happiest place on earth. She was born in Nicholas County, Ky., September 6, 1826, and came with her parents to Shelby County when quite young. Her father died at the age of seventy-five and her mother survived until the venerable age of seventy-eight. Their daughter was an earnest member of the Christian Church and a steadfast worker therein, her death, which occurred in 1881, was felt as a great blow not only to her home friends but also in the community. The subject of this sketch was born February 24, 1859, and received in the common schools of Illinois the education which fitted him for life's work. Upon his father's farm he was thoroughly drilled in the practice and theory of farming and undertook that work as his business for life. He was married in 1880 to Luella Hardy, daughter of Thomas and Eliza Hardy. Like himself she is a native of Shelby County, and is now the mother of one bright and promising child, to whom they have given the name of Earl. Mr. Hendricks has resided where he now lives since his marriage and now has in his possession one hundred acres of fine soil upon which he has placed substantial and permanent improvements. His political views have led him to affiliate with the Republican party and in its prosperity he feels a keen interest. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Among the prominent families who have helped to make the local history of Shelby County, we take pleasure in naming again the one of which our subject is a representative. John Hendricks resides on section 22, Okaw Township, and is a son of Samuel and Mary E. Hendricks. The grandfather of our subject, who bore the name of George Hendricks, came to this State from North Carolina, and settling in Okaw Township, made his home there with his worthy wife and there they resided until they were called from earth by the call which no man disregards. His death occurred some years previous to that of his faithful companion. He was born in North Carolina, January 29, 1799 and died July 14, 1835, while his wife, who was a native of the same State, had her birth October 26, 1798 and passed away April 24, 1872. They reared to use fulness three sons and two daughters, namely Samuel, John R., Zimri, Amanda, and Losada. Samuel and Mary E. Hendricks were the parents of eight children, one of whom died in infancy and seven grew to years of maturity, namely: Rebecca A. (Mrs. Charles Turney), John, our subject, David, deceased, Charles, Lawson, Alonzo and Mary E. (Mrs. Lewis Hawk). Our subject was reared on the farm and received his education in the common schools of Shelby County. He is the eldest son and second child of his parents, being born January 22, 1850. His early choice of an occupation for life was made in favor of farming pursuits, and he was married August 24, 1871, to Anna L. Patterson, a daughter of James and Frances Patterson and a native of Shelby County, Ill., where she was born October 26, 1851. About three years after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks settled upon the farm of eighty acres where they now reside. Their eight children bear the names of Minnie F., William E., John E., James A., Carrie E., Rhoda E., Myrtle F., and an infant who is yet unnamed. The political views of Mr. Hendricks are in accord with the declarations and platform of the Republican party but his interest in the welfare of the farming community has influenced him of late to vote with the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association. He is an active worker in the Christian Church and a man whose usefulness therein is accorded by all who know him. David F. Hendricks, deceased, a brother of our subject, is worthy of note in connection with this sketch. He was born July 24, 1853, and died May 15, 1881. Mr. Hendricks was a graduate of Chicago Commercial College and was book-keeper for a leading firm of contractors at Shelbyville. For five years he was chorister of the Christian Sunday-school and for one year chorister of the Royal Purple Temperance Association and also led the singing in church for some time. He was an honored and beloved member of the Christian Church and was also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His death was greatly felt in the community where he had made his home from childhood. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
John R. Hendricks
The well-known and prominent family, of which our subject is the representative, is sketched at length upon various pages of this volume, but we have more to say in regard to them and especially in regard to this branch. Our subject resides on section 24, Ridge Township, Shelby County, and he has belonged in the county since 1831. He was born near Indianapolis, Ind., December 23, 1828, and is a son of George and Nancy (Brown) Hendricks, being the third child in a family of five who are as follows: Amanda, who married twice, first to Samuel Moyer, and second to Samuel Truitt, and now resides in Texas; Samuel, deceased; John R., our subject; Sadie, now the widow of Caleb Crawford, residing near Shelbyville; and Zimri, deceased.
Our subject was reared upon the farm and attended such schools as the early settlers of the county were able to provide for their children. These did not have so broad a curriculum as is provided by the schools of the present day, but there was a degree of earnestness which pervaded the work of those early schools which may well be emulated by teachers and pupils of this decade. Such earnestness gave to the minds of the young an impression of the value of an education and the effort necessary to attain it which proved a desirable stimulant.
The marriage of Mr. Hendricks with Isabelle Johnson took place in 1851, and opened up a life of mutual happiness and harmony, yet it was short in duration. This lady, who was born in Kentucky, was a daughter of John Johnson and came with her parents to this county, and died in 1862 leaving four children, one of whom died in early childhood; the next, Olivia, married John Killam, and died leaving two children; George died in Shelby County and William resides in Okaw Township. In 1868, Mr. Hendricks was a second time united in marriage, this time with Elizabeth Royce, a daughter of John and Nancy (Miller) Royce, who was born in Kentucky. Her parents were among the early pioneers of Shelby County and were representative farmers, whose memory is cherished by all who knew them. By this union one child was born who has passed to the other world.
The pursuit of agriculture has ever been the favorite calling of our subject. He has felt that in the life of a farmer there was a large compensation for whatever deprivations are incident to the seclusion of country existence. To be out of the reach of the bustle and activities of the world and many of the opportunities for culture and education are to him abundantly made up by the peaceful repose and freedom from temptation which he is able to afford his family. He now owns two hundred and sixty acres of as fine land as is to be found in Ridge and Okaw Townships, and upon which he has placed substantial improvements, and where he has paid particular attention to raising cattle and mules. Both he and his good wife are earnest and active members of the Christian Church.
The political views with which Mr. Hendricks finds himself in sympathy are those which are expressed in the declarations and platform of the Democratic party and he longs to have the good old days of Democratic simplicity return again. He believes that the principles which were announced by Jefferson and which were in vogue under the Jacksonian Administration are the ones which are best fitted for securing the prosperity of our country.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
William J. Henry
This gentleman, who like many of the residents of Ridge Township, Shelby County, is a native of the Buckeye State, is a son of Isaac Henry, and Elizabeth Foster, the former, a native of Ohio, and the latter, of Maryland. The respected father died in Noble County, Ohio, after which sad event the mother came to Shelby County, and died at the residence of her son, the subject of this life record. They had seven children, of whom our subject is the fourth in age.
William Henry first saw the light in Jefferson County, Ohio, February 23, 1823. When he was but a little child his parents removed from their old home to Guernsey County, and here the boy was educated in the common schools and on the farm and grew to a vigorous and active young manhood. In Noble County, Ohio, he found the lady whom he chose as the one above all others to be his helpmate through life and they were united in marriage, October 11, 1849. Her maiden name was Margaret Wilson, and she was a daughter of Reuben and Sarah (Yoho) Wilson. Her mother died in Noble County, and her father somewhat later in Washington County.
The life of Mrs. Margaret Henry began in Guernsey County, Ohio, April 1, 1828, and here she received her early education before going to Noble County. The earliest wedded home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry was in Noble County and there they continued to reside for some seventeen years, removing in 1866 to Shelby County, where they established themselves on section 9, Ridge Township, which has since then been their permanent home. Upon this land Mr. Henry has erected an excellent set of farm buildings, and he now possesses some three hundred and eighty-two acres.
To Mr. and Mrs. Henry have been granted ten children to cheer and enliven their home. They are: Lewis C., who married Mary Hart; Reuben W., who died when twenty-five years old in Ridge Township; John B., who has taken to wife Nellie Bextle; Rebecca A., the wife of Thomas T. Henry; Sarah E. became the wife of John N. Thomas; Emma J. married William Carder; Abraham, whose wife bore the maiden name of Minnie Burk; William S.; Jacob S. whose wife was Mary Burk; Margaret C. The work of farming has very thoroughly engaged the attention of Mr. Henry, although he has given some time to public affairs, having served for some time as School Director. He formerly took an active interest in political matters, being a believer in the principles of the Republican party, but he is now a Prohibitionist and active in the temperance cause, and a member of the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association. In religious matters he is interested in the society known as the Church of God, where he and his wife are members and in which he has served as an Elder. His excellent buildings and neat farm, speak well for the thorough hand and the keen eye of the farmer who supervises the work. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
William Hill, is a general farmer residing on a finely improved tract of land located on sections 19 and 20, of Pickaway Township, Shelby County. His farm comprises eighty acres of highly cultivated land which has been his home since 1850. At the time of his purchase, the place was perfectly new and unbroken. He first secured forty acres from the government and it was then virgin soil. Besides this tract, our subject owns forty acres of good land in flat Branch Township. He has lived in the county all his life, having first opened his eyes upon the mysteries of the world in Ridge Township, April 9m 1827. He is therefore one of the oldest settlers living in the county.
The original of our sketch comes from Southern parentage. His father, William Hill, Sr., was a native of Kentucky, and a son of Henry Hill, who was native of Maryland or South Carolina. He was married to Elizabeth (Bruntz) Hill, probably a native of the same State with himself. After marriage they settled in Kentucky, near Louisville and some time later they came with their family to Montgomery County, Ill., arriving there at a very early day. There Henry Hill died, being eighty years old at the time of his decease, his wife having died previous in Shelby County, at the home of a daughter. She, also, was eighty years of age when she died. Henry Hill and wife were members of the regular Baptist Church. They had a large family. William Hill, Sr., was one of the elder children and arrived at manhood and married in Montgomery county Miss Cynthia Scribner, a native of Tennessee. She was quite young when her father, William Scribner, removed to Montgomery county, during pioneer days. Her father and mother in their last years, moved west of the Missouri River, where they passed away at a very advanced age. They were pioneer farmers wherever they located.
After the marriage of William Hill, Sr., they made their first permanent settlement in what is now Ridge Township, Shelby County, there procuring Government land, which they improved until it was in a fine state of cultivation. Later they purchased land in Flat Branch Township, this county, and there, Mrs. Hill died while in middle life. Later, Mr. Hill came to make his home with his son, our subject, and died here at the age of sixty-four years. He had for many years been a member in good standing, of the Baptist church. Politically he affiliated with the Democratic party, his sympathies having been with that party all his life.
Our subject is one of a large family, five only of whom are yet living, all of these being married. He of whom we write remained under his father's roof until he had attained years of manhood, reaching his majority while in Flat Branch Township. He there married Susanna Tolly, who was a native of the place where her marriage was celebrated, her natal day being October 27, 1832. She was reared and educated in her native township and was one with her husband after their marriage, until her death, which occurred April 17, 1889, in making a comfortable and pleasant home. She was an amiable woman and a conscientious, true Christian, having been a member of the Baptist Church for many years. Her father, Robert Tolly, was a native of Kentucky, and later a very early settler in Flat Branch Township, where he pre-empted a homestead in which he lived and died. He was, at the time of his death, but a little past middle age. His wife, Jemima Dents, came here with her parents at an early day. She passed the last years of her life in Flat Branch Township, passing away at an advanced age. Both she and Mr. Tolly were members of the old school Baptist Church.
Mrs. Hill, the wife of our subject, was one of ten children, three of whom are yet living. She was also the mother of ten children, all excepting three, now living. Those deceased are Robert, Mary E., and Charles H. The living children are John M.; Levi P.; Jemima; Lovisa; Cynthia M.; Lydia and Isaac. Of these John took to wife Sarah J. Drake and is proprietor of a farm in this township. Levi P. was married to Julia Thomas, and is a farmer in Flat Branch Township. Jemima is the wife of Alvin T. Janes; they also reside in Flat Branch Township. Lovisa is the wife of Freedom Brinker, a farmer living in Greenwood County, Kan. Lydia remains at home and is her father's housekeeper, being a woman of most pleasing address and kindly genial manners. Isaac also is at home and assists his father. Mr. Hill is a member of the old school Baptist Church and the Democratic party has in him one of its most true and loyal followers. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Among the most valuable factors in the settlement and upbuilding of Illinois has been that portion of its population which is descended from natives of the German's Fatherland. Their frugal, industrious, thrifty manner of life and their steady devotion to agriculture have aided greatly in developing that portion of the Prairie State where they made their homes, and have given a reliable character to the neighborhoods in which they live. Mr. Hinterly resides on section 24, ridge Township, Shelby County, and his settlement in this county dates from 1858. His native home was in Fairfield county, Ohio, where he was born December 9, 1836, being the son of Jacob and Rachel Hinterly. Jacob Hinterly, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Germany and became one of the earliest pioneers of Fairfield County in the days when that part of the country was a wilderness inhabited only savages and wild beasts.
Our subject had the severe misfortune of losing his mother by death when he was but a babe, and he was her only child. His father subsequently married Rachel Fairchild, and by this union two sons were born - Nathaniel and William Henry, both of whom still make their home in Fairfield County, Ohio, where they are respected and useful citizens. The younger of these two was a soldier in the Civil War, and being a member of an Ohio regiment was under Sherman's command, and was with him in the famous "march to the sea."
The first affliction of Jeremiah Hinterly was followed seven years later by the death of his father, and he thus became at a tender age a double orphan. The sorrowful child was taken care of by an uncle, with whom he passed the remainder of his early years, remaining in his native county until he attained his majority. While with his uncle he received training upon the farm and also spent two years as an apprentice to the trade of a blacksmith.
It was in the fall of 1857 that he made his first visit to Illinois, but he did not tarry long upon that occasion as he returned to Ohio for the winter, but the following spring brought him again to Shelby County, where he rented land and prepared to establish a home. He chose a bride from the daughters of Ridge Township, Shelby County, and upon Christmas Day, 1860, he was united in the happy bonds of matrimony with Sarah M. Killam, a daughter of Isaac and Nancy Killam, who was born April 23, 1844. Her father was a Kentuckian by birth, and having been reared as a farmer, pursued that line of industry and was married in that State to Nancy Lee, a lady of Maryland.
After marriage our subject settled where he now resides, his wife receiving one hundred acres of land from her father. To this he has added one hundred and fifty acres more, and has placed upon it all good and substantial improvements. It is now one of the finest farms in Ridge Township, being thoroughly cultivated and giving an excellent yield. To Mr. and Mrs. Hinterly have been born three children - William H.; Nancy O., who died at the age of ten years; and Cora Ann. The son and daughter who are left to them are making a fine record and are proving both an honor and comfort to their worthy parents. The religious connection of the family is with the Christian Church, in which they are highly useful and valuable members, being active in every good worked and work, and willing to aid in every movement, both religious and social, which looks to the advancement of the community.
In political matters Mr. Hinterly is, and always has been to a good degree independent, as parties have changed and new issues have arisen he has felt at liberty to take his stand according to his convictions and according to what he considered the needs of the country and the policy of wisdom and good judgment. He was reared in the political belief of the Democratic party, to which he adhered until the formation of the National Greenback party, the doctrines of which he judged to be the best for the financial success of our country. His interests being identified with those of the agricultural community, he has now allied himself with the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association, and works in accordance with that society for the upbuilding and prosperity of the farmers.
Jacob Hinterly, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, was married before he came to the United States, and, as we have said, settled in Ohio in the very early days. He reared two sons and two daughters - John, Jacob, Mary, Mrs. Telweiller; and Elizabeth, Mrs. George Parkenson. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
The public-spirited and enterprising men who take an active part in everything calculated to enhance the interests of their neighborhood, may easily be counted in any community of moderate size, and among those who have thus advanced the interests of Oconee for many years, we are pleased to mention the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this brief life sketch. His business efforts in this community have been various and his experiences broad and fluctuating but his record has been an honorable one and the fact that he paid one hundred cents on the dollar when so deeply embarrassed as to be $60,000 in debt, shows the style of man which we here present.
Our subject who is a member of the firm of Hinton & Roberts, dealing in general merchandise, was born in Fayette County, this State, February 8, 1832. His parents were Lewis and Tabitha (Prater) Hinton, the father being a native of Kentucky and the mother of North Carolina, while the father's father was born in South Carolina.
Lewis Hinton was twice married, his first marital union bringing him four sons and three daughters of whom our subject was the second. The brothers and sisters of John Hinton were as follows: Henry, who resided in this township till his death; Holly, who lives in McDonald County, Mo., and is engaged in farming; Paschal, who works in his brother's store in Oconee; Elizabeth, who was the wife of A. T. Smart of Shelby County, and is now deceased; Priscilla, who married Milton Lowe, and makes her home in Oconee and Polly, wife of C. A. Doyle who resides in Oconee Township.
This prosperous merchant of whom we write, came to Shelby County when he was four years old and has made Oconee Township his home for fifty five years. He engaged in farming until he was twenty-four years old and commenced mercantile life in this village in 1854, in partnership with Thomas Freeman and S. S. Roberts, which connection continued for a year, when Mr. Freeman withdrew. Mr. Hinton remained with Mr. Roberts until his death when Mr. Freeman again bought an interest in the connection which he afterwards sold out to D. J. Sloan, the firm thus becoming Hinton & Sloan. This partnership existed for some thirteen years and was prosperous, but after that time Mr. Hinton withdrew from mercantile life and the property was divided.
After eight years which he devoted to the handling of real estate, grain. etc., this enterprising business man again embarked in mercantile life, and has continued in that business to the present time in company with Mr. B. F. Roberts, a son of Mr. Hinton 's first partner.
Miss Mary E. Whitington was the maiden name of the lady who became the first wife of John Hinton. She was born in 1840, in Oconee Township, and to this union four sons and three daughters were born, of whom Addie, wife of Dr. R. W. Johnston, of Assumption Ill., is the eldest. The oldest son, S. A. D. is married and is engaged in an abstract office at Clay Center, Neb., where he is doing well. Hattie is the wife of K. G. Hall and resides at Orson, Col. George W. is married and was for some time a merchant but is now retired from active business and living at Assumption, Ill. William L. resides in Freeport, this State, where he is engaged in a carriage factory. Sadie and Johnnie are still under the parental roof and enjoying the advantages of education which Mr. Hinton has afforded to all his children.
The subject of our sketch is a large landed proprietor owning about eight hundred acres in Oconee Township, mostly adjoining the village of Oconee. He has been thoroughly identified with the interests of his town and county and has satisfactorily and efficiently filled a number of responsible offices. He has served educational interests as School Trustee of this township, has been Supervisor for eighteen years, Magistrate for four years and Justice of the Peace for eight years. His thorough understanding of business principles and the most fundamental points of the law, together with his disposition to maintain the peace of the community has resulted in his so advising and adjusting cases as to prevent hundreds of his fellow citizens from rushing into irritating and expensive law suits.
Mr. Hinton became a member of Jackson Lodge No. 52 A. F. & A. M., at Shelbyville, in 1854, but is now non-affiliated. He takes an active interest in political affairs and has always been regarded as a leader in the ranks of Democracy of which he has been a life long member. He is not a professor of religion, although his preferences are in the direction of the Regular Baptist Church.
This gentleman has been a speculator all his life and his experience has been up and down with a general tendency upward. He has worked for twenty-five cents a day in Oconee Township, and was at one time as we have stated deeply in debt, but came out of that trial as a man of honor should come. His first wife passed from earth August 24, 1881, and his marriage with Miss Mary E. Morgan took place in March 1887. To this union, one child, Agnes Pauline, was born, who is now the pet and darling of the household, and the joy of her father in his advancing years.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
James Hogarth, a prosperous farmer and stock-raiser of Penn Township, was born in Yorkshire, England, July 5, 1839. His father, who bore the same name as himself, was a native of the same country, his birthplace being Westmoreland, and he in turn was the son of another James Hogarth, who was a farmer, native of Lancastershire, and a life-long resident of England. The father of our subject was reared on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits in Yorkshire, where he spent his last years. He married Elizabeth Birtle, whose whole life was passed in Yorkshire. She was the mother of two children, our subject and Isabella, her daughter spending her entire life in England.
Our subject was left an orphan when only ten years old. As soon as large enough he began work on the farm and early gained a practical insight into the best methods of carrying on farming. While attending school he learned a great deal about the United States of America, a subject which had a great interest for him, and in pursuance of a determination to try life in this great and growing country, he embarked at Liverpool in 1860, on the steamer "Washington City," and after a voyage of eleven days landed at Castle Garden, New York. He came directly to Shelby County, arriving here with about $15 in his pocket, which scant capital was supplemented by a courageous heart, a cool head and steady hand, and willingness to do whatsoever he found to do with the capacity of doing it well. He began life here by working on a farm by the month, continuing that employment until his marriage, when he located on the farm in Penn Township, that he has since occupied. At that time the place was but very little improved, but since it came into his hands he has wrought a wonderous change by persistent and well-directed labor. The land is now under a high state of cultivation, the neat and substantial buildings comparing with any in the township, and fruit, shade and ornamental trees, planted by his own hand, add greatly to the attractiveness of the place. The reader will be pleased to notice a view of this homestead on another page.
In 1867, Mr. Hogarth took unto himself a wife in the person of Mrs. Margaret (Shimman) Birkett, a native of Cumberland, England. Mrs. Hogarth's father, Philip Shimman, was reared on the Isle of Man, and thence he removed to Cumberland, where he lived for many years. In 1857 he came to America with Mrs. Hogarth. He visited a short time in Cleveland, Ohio, and then went to Clinton in the same State, to see a daughter, and died in her home ten weeks after landing in this country. His wife died in England in 1851. She was the mother of six children, of whom these three came to the United States - Mrs. Hogarth, her sister Mary and brother Thomas.
The wife of our subject grew to womanhood in her native shire, and was first married there to John Birkett. He was a native of that part of England, and resided there until 1857. In that year, August 7, he set sail from Liverpool on the vessel "American Union," accompanied by his wife and her father, and landed in New York after a voyage of six weeks and five days. He and his wife lived in Ohio from 1857 to 1860, then they name to Todd's Point Township, this county. Which at that time was but sparsely settled and little improved, with plenty of land for sale at $5 or less an acre. Mr. Birkett's means were limited, and he began life in his new home on rented land. In the spring of 1864 he bought a tract of railway land in Penn Township, and at once commenced to improve a farm. But he was not destined to finish his work, as death cut short his career in the fall of that year, and his township lost a useful citizen.
Mr. and Mrs. Hogarth are people of most estimable character, worthy in every way of the good will and respect of their neighbors, which is accorded to them in full measure. They are both members of the Presbyterian Church. In national politics Mr. Hogarth votes the Republican ticket, but in local affairs he is independent, giving his support to the best man regardless of party.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Ervin Homrighous, a jeweler of Shelbyville, Shelby County, bears a high reputation through the county as a business man, and is widely known in social circles for his musical talent and for his connection with the famous Shelbyville Palmer Glee Club as its leader. He is a native of Amanda Township, Fairfield County, Ohio, the date of his birth being March 28, 1836. His father, John Homrighous, a prominent citizen and business man of that place, was born in that county, in the township of Bloom, October 14, 1811, being a son of one of the early pioneers of that part of Ohio, John Homrighous. The latter was born in Deadenshaus, Germany, November 21, 1781. His boyhood was passed in the Fatherland, but before he attained his majority he resolved to try life in America. Accordingly he embarked on the good ship "Speculation," and some weeks later landed at Baltimore. He returned to Germany a year or two later to revisit the scenes of his youth, but he came back to this country in 1805, and was a resident of Baltimore until 1810, when he ventured forth into the wilds of Ohio, and became a pioneer of Lancaster. He was finely educated, and his fellow-pioneers were glad to have him teach their children, so he taught for some time in and about Lancaster, and was one of the very first teachers of Fairfield County. He was a preacher in the German Reformed Church, and administered spiritual food to the people very acceptably. He was withal a man of thrift and industry and the quarter of a section of land that he purchased in Bloom Township under his skilful hand became a fine farm, though it was heavily wooded when it came into his possession. He made it his home until he was called up higher to the realms of the blest. The maiden name of his wife was Alspaugh. She was of German antecedents, but was born in America. In the county of his nativity, the father of subject grew up under pioneer influences. He learned the trade of a cabinetmaker, and in 1829 established himself at that in connection with undertaking at Royalton, and has been in business there ever since, he being one of the substantial moneyed men of the town. He also owns a farm in Amanda Township, just outside the corporate limits of Royalton. He married in early manhood Miss Magdalina Wagner, and they have traveled life's road together many years. She was born in Amanda Township, December 11, 1811, coming of one of the early pioneer families of Ohio. She is the mother of these five children - John W., Ervin, Mary A., Lewis and Henry.
Ervin Homrighous was educated in the schools of Royalton, and at the age of twelve years he began to learn the trade of a jeweler, and when fifteen years old commenced to learn the trade of a cabinetmaker of his father. He worked with him until he was twenty-two years of age, and then came to Illinois, and for seven years was actively engaged in farming in Holland Township. In 1865 he came to Shelbyville, but he did not at once establish himself in any particular business. He continued to give his attention to agriculture and superintended the management of his fine farm of five hundred acres in Holland Township, continually making improvements that enhanced its value. In 1881 he embarked in the jewelry business, taking advantage of a fine opening at Shelbyville for a first-class jewelry store, and has continued in it ever since. He has one of the finest establishments of the kind in Central Illinois, handsomely appointed, and stocked with an elegant assortment of jewelry and precious stones of every description to suit all tastes and requirements of even the most fastidious, as our subject is a connoisseur in his line, and makes his selections with nice discrimination and an artistic eye.
Mr. Homrighous was first married in 1858 to Miss Mary Allen, who was, like himself, a native of Amanda Township, Ohio, and was a daughter of Howard and Sarah (Leist) Allen. Mrs. Homrighous died in 1870 and her household was thus deprived of the tender ministrations of a good wife and devoted mother. Four children were the fruit of that marriage, namely - John, Milo, Metta and Frank. In April, 1871, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Esther Penwell, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of David and Samantha (Carver) Penwell. Mr. and Mrs. Homrighous have a charming home, and their many friends are always sure of a cordial welcome and pleasant entertainment at the hands of a host and hostess of such well-known social qualities as they possess. Two children have blessed their marriage, Charles and Bob.
Mr. Homrighous is not only a practical, wide awake business man, but he has another side to his nature in that he has inherited from a music-loving race a decided talent for that noble art, and is one of the foremost singers of this county. He received a careful and thorough training in voice culture in his youth, and ever since he was eighteen years of age he has given vocal lessons, and for some years he has been chorister at the Methodist Episcopal Church. But he has gained his chief distinction as leader of the celebrated Shelbyville Palmer Glee Club, which is widely known for the marked musical ability of its members, and stands without a peer in the United States as a campaign glee club. The four gentlemen who have united with our subject to make the club famous are K. T. Hite, Dr. J. A. Bowman, Edward Silvers and G. R. Graybill. During the political campaign of 1888 the club accompanied Gen. Palmer when he stumped the State for the Governorship, and was received with acclamation on every hand by the people who assembled to hear the General's political oratory, and who listened with rapt attention to the songs rendered by the club, and testified to their appreciation by generous applause. When the exciting mayoralty contest was being carried on in Chicago in the spring of 1891, the Glee Club was honored by being called to that city to sing at the political gatherings of the Democrats, and if the candidate endorsed by Senator Palmer could have been sung into office, he would undoubtedly have been re-elected. As it was, the music-loving populace of the World's Fair City attended the meetings in crowds to hear the singing of the club, and it was highly commended by the press. In politics, Mr. Homrighous is a Democrat. Socially, he is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 53, A. F. & A. M. Religiously, both he and his wife are among the leading members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
John W. Homrighous
The original of this sketch is a farmer residing on section 30, of Prairie Township. He settled in Shelby County in the fall of 1860, and is now numbered among the large and prominent agriculturists of Shelby County. He was born in Fairfield County, June 15, 1834, and is a son of John and Magdeleine (Wagner) Homrighous, for whose further biography see sketch of Ervin Homrighous. Our subject was educated in the common schools of the district in which he lived. When a boy he worked with his father, who was a cabinet maker, and thus learned the use of tools, and to handle them with delicate nicety. At the age of seventeen he worked on the farm owned by his father, residing at home meantime.
December 31, 1857, our subject was married to Mary Ann Reber, a daughter of Thomas Reber and Rachael (Allen) Reber, for whose further history see sketch of John Reber. Mrs. Homrighous was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 7, 1836. In 1860, our subject and family removed to Shelby County, and in the spring of 1861 settled on the farm where he now resides, having purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land which at the time bore but little improvement. He has since pursued farming and has become the owner of nine hundred and sixty acres of land, eighty acres of which he has given his son. Our subject and his wife are the parents of eight children. They are Charles, Rachel, Reber, Jennie, Carrie, Hattie, Lucy and Clay. Of these the eldest daughter is the wife of Doris Miller. Jennie is the wife of Robert Cecil. Our subject formerly was an advocate of Democratic policy and principles, but he has now transferred his allegiance to the independent party. He has been the incumbent of several offices in the township, having been Supervisor, Road Commissioner and Township Treasurer. Mr. and Mrs. Homrighous are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which our subject has been Class-Leader for a long time. He of whom we write is a member of the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association. His pecuniary success has been attained largely by dealing in stock and also in raising the same. He is a breeder of Norman horses, finding a ready market for the same in the metropolitan cities. He also has a large number of Short-horn cattle of the finest breeding. The family residence is a brick house, commodious and comfortable, and bearing evidence of taste and culture in its external appearance and inner arrangement. Mrs. Homrighous is a lady of unusual attainments, and is the personification of amiability and kind heartedness. Many valuable improvements have been made on the place.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
The agricultural and stock-raising industry of Neosho county has known but few more successful representatives than Abner Horr, and none more worthy or honorable. He moved to the county in 1869, became immediately identified with this industry and gave to it thirty-five of the most active years of his life, retiring from it only recently in the enjoyment of a well-earned competence and the distinction of an unsullied name.
Mr. Horr migrated from McLean county, Illinois, to Neosho county, Kansas, being a native of the former place, born August 26, 1840. His father was Josiah Horr, a native of New York and his mother, before marriage, Temperance Cheney, native of Ohio. The parents were early settlers of Illinois, where they passed the greater part of their lives, the mother dying there, aged seventy years, the father dying while on a visit to his children in Kansas in 1880, aged eighty years.
Abner Horr was the fourth in a family of six children and was reared in the county of his birth, being brought up on the farm and receiving the meager education of the public schools of that day. He remained with his parents and worked for them until about the time of reaching his majority, when in February, 1861, he married Emeline Martin, a native of McLean county, Illinois, and with his young wife settled to himself and began farming on his own account. In 1864 his wife died and shortly afterward he enlisted in the Union Army, Company B, 150th Illinois volunteer infantry, and served till the close of the war, his command being held as part of a reserve corps and engaged in garrison and outpost duty.
On July 3, 1866, Mr. Horr married Maria Rodman of McLean county, Illinois, and again settling on a farm engaged in agricultural pursuits in his native county till coming to Kansas in 1869. On settling in Neosho county this state, Mr. Horr took a claim on the prairies in Ladore township. He was one of the first to settle on the prairies, the belief then being that nothing away from the river and not covered with timber was worth having. Once settled, the labors and hardships began, and what these were, whether the resisting elements of nature, the plagues of grasshoppers and chintz bugs or the great fight against the railroad for the land itself, Mr. Horr went through it all, bearing his part and discharging in full measure his duties as a citizen of the community where he lived. The contests of those early years called for the best there was in the settlers, and as is well known many were not equal to the demand made on them; but most of those who proved themselves to be so, profited well by their early residence in the county and the efforts they made. Mr. Horr is one of the number. His faith in the country was never seriously shaken and being of an earnest, sanguine temperament he never doubted his ability to make the soil of Neosho county yield him enough to keep him in comfort in old age.
The growing and handling of stock formed, from the first, an important feature of Mr. Horr's operations and he has probably done as much as any man in Neosho county who has not made a specialty of fine stock breeding, to raise the grade and improve the strain of the stock of the county. He has also been a large feeder, feeding his own and buying, feeding and shipping the surplus of his neighbors. In this he took great interest and met with more than ordinary success. But in the spring of 1902, owing to positive indications of declining health, his farm was stripped of its herds, pens and stables and the period of actual retirement began; and now after thirty-five years of great activity, with a mind still clear and a keen interest in all things around him, he finds himself, as he says, with nothing to do but to nurse the infirmities of age, a task which, it can be readily understood, weighs heavily upon him and is as hard for one of his temperament and ways of life to bear as any of the hard ships he knew in former years. But the companion of his early years yet abides with him and he has a pleasant home, a commodious residence deep set in grove of trees, planted by his own hand on an eight hundred acre homestead, and these things of a material nature supplemented by the attentions of good neighbors, go far towards making his declining years all that one might reasonably expect.
To Mr. and Mrs. Horr have been born six children, namely, Emma, who died February 28, 1901, aged thirty-three years; Tempie, who died July 28, 1888, aged twenty-two years; May, who died October 31, 1901, aged twenty three; Josiah, who married Minnie A. Sperry and resides in Neosho county, Kansas, and Misses Mattie and Sadie, who are teachers in the Neosho county public schools and make their home with their parents. One daughter by the first marriage, Mary C., wife of Allen F. Corthon, lives at Ottumwa, Iowa.
Mrs. Horr was born in Shelby county, Illinois, August 4, 1839. Her father was William Rodman and her mother's maiden name Emily Harmon, the former a native of New York and the latter a native of Illinois. Her parents came to Kansas and settled in Neosho county in 1870 and died there, the father at the age of seventy-two and the mother at the age of seventy. Mrs. Horr was the eldest of a family of nine, the others being Ruth Ann, James, William, David, Mary J., Nancy, Laura and Jackson. The Rodmans like the Horrs were people of honorable birth, upright in character, and ambitious for achievement. Mrs. Horr has had a large part in the success of her husband and this brief sketch would be lacking in completeness if it did not accord to her a fair measure of credit for the achievements here mentioned. Both bear their success with that simplicity and modesty which characterize persons of good breeding and genuine worth. Mr. Horr died early in July, 1902. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by G.T. Transcription Team]
J. M. Housh
J. M. Housh, living on a beautiful farm of one hundred six acres on section 1, Flat Branch Township, Shelby County, is one of the thrifty and breeders of stock of this township. The property of which he is the happy possessor, was accumulated by his own efforts and industry. He has greatly beautified the place by keeping it in perfect order and erecting thereon an attractive home and a fine and modernly constructed barn, with other outbuildings that bespeak the care and attention bestowed by the owner.
Our subject began his successful financial career in 1874, since which time he has accomplished all that so evidently marks him to be a man with practical ideas of agriculture. He has not only improved his place and erected the buildings thereon, but has also freed it from debt and stocked it with fine grades of horses, sheep, swine and cattle. Yet young, his energy and ambition destine him to be a rich man and a prominent figure in his community.
The original of our sketch has spent his entire life in this county, with the exception of four years during which he was in the Golden State, and on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. He was not, however, engaged there as a miner, although he was an eager searcher for the precious metal bearing the Government stamp, and this he acquired by honest labor, being variously engaged, but spending the greater part of his time in teaming, which commanded at that time, the best prices. He went West in the fall of 1869, and returned four years later; his journey out was made by the overland route, and while the privations and discomfort of traveling in that way, were many, it offered unsurpassed opportunity of seeing the country and observing its various features.
Mr. Housh was born May 25, 1849, on the farm which he now owns, and near where his own house now stands up be early learned the necessity of hard labor, and realized the truth in the expression, the "survival of the fittest" and thus determined to show himself as strong as any in the struggle for a livelihood. As soon as he developed into manhood he began to better he is the second son of John and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Housh, the former having died near Hastings, Neb., in 1888, at the age of seventy-four years. He was a native of Virginia, and came to Illinois while young, being then a single man. He first located in Shelby County, and was one of the early settlers in Flat Branch Township, helping with the general improvements at the same time, making a good farm and home for himself, and was fairly successful in his career. His wife was a native of this State, having been born in Madison County, although reared from childhood in Shelby County, near Pickaway Township. She is yet living and owns a neat little farm of her own on section 1, Flat Branch Township, and at the age of sixty-seven, her faculties are undimmed, and she is as bright and energetic as ever. She is now recognized as the oldest settler of Pickaway Township now living. She has a large circle of friends who are the comfort and pleasure she promises her declining years. For many years she has been a prominent member of the Old School Baptist Church.
Our subject was married in 1874 to Miss Rebecca Lord, who was born in Macon County, Ill., in 1857. There she was reared to womanhood. She was a daughter of Andrew and Mary Lord, both still living and prominent farmers of Macon County. Of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Housh, one, the first born, died young. The little one had been christened Nora N. The living children are: Lottie N., Gid., Nellie, Earl, Luella and Jessie. All of the children live at home, and are at the same time the joy and care of their devoted parents.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
William J. Huff, M. D.
William J. Huff, M. D., of Prairie Home, is a graduate of the Medical Department of the Michigan State University, at Ann Arbor, one of the leading institutions of learning in the country, and in the practice of his profession he has acquired a fine reputation as a skillful and successful physician. He was born in Perry County, Ind., July 10, 1846, and comes of the old pioneer stock of that State.
William Huff, the father of our subject, was born in Spencer County, Ind., and was a son of Aquilla Huff, who was born near Harrodsburg, Ky., his parents, who were Virginians, being among the early settlers of that region. The grandfather of our subject was reared in the wilds of Kentucky, and subsequently became an early pioneer of Indiana when it was a territory, locating in Spencer County, where he took up a tract of Government land, which he converted into a good farm, on which he spent his remaining days. His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Rawlings, and who was likewise a native of Kentucky, also passed her last years on that Spencer County farm, where she had helped her husband to build up a home.
Dr. Huff's father was born in Spencer County, Ind., where he now lives. He was bred to the life of a farmer, and always followed agricultural pursuits until his retirement from active business. He is still living on his farm one mile from Troy, Perry County, Ind., where he enjoys the good will and respect of the community where so many years of his life have been passed. In early manhood he found a true helpmate and wife in the person of Margaret Davis, who was born in Kentucky, but was reared in Indiana in one of its pioneer homes. They reared three children - Joseph G., William J. and Henderson M. Joseph G. was a member of the Tenth Indiana Cavalry during the war, and gave up his life for his country while in the service.
Our subject early displayed an ambition to obtain a good education, and after passing his boyhood in study in the public schools of Perry and Spencer Counties, and gaining a thorough knowledge of the common branches, at the age of seventeen he began teaching, and thereby earned the wherewithal to pursue his studies in the State University at Bloomington. In 1868 the young student was complimented by election to the office of County Surveyor of Spencer County, and he served satisfactorily four years. He began the study of medicine with Dr. G. F. Adge, of Newtonville, and later placed himself under the instruction of E. M. Anderson, of New Boston. In 1878 he entered the Medical Department of the State University at Ann Arbor, and was graduated from there in the class of 1880. Thus well-equipped for his chosen calling he entered upon its practical duties at St. Meinrad, Spencer County, where he remained a year. He then came to Illinois, and for a year and a half practiced at Macon. His next location was at Dalton, from which place he came to Prairie Home a year later, and ever since has been in practice here, and is recognized as one of our best physicians. The Doctor's marriage with Miss Emma E. Avery, a native of Perry County, Ind., was celebrated August 15, 1882. They have two children living, James Karl and Catherine Maud. The Doctor and his amiable wife are among the most valued members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and they are among our most agreeable society people.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
John B. Hughes
John B. Hughes, a well-known and highly respected druggist of Oconee, Shelby County, a man of broad experience and excellent attainments, who has added to the material prosperity of his village by his energy and enterprise. He is a public-spirited citizen, who is ever wide awake to help forward every movement which tends to the prosperity of the place. His parents were Thomas W. and Catherine (Burke) Hughes, both natives of Ireland, the father being born in County Carlo in 1801, and the mother in Loughrea, County Galway, in 1843. The father emigrated to America in 1838, and the mother in 1851, and here they met and united their fortunes in marriage. The father of our subject located in Pennsylvania and made his home there for some three years, but the Western fever had not been assuaged by his removal across the ocean, and he decided to come to the Mississippi Valley. St. Louis was his destination, and he remained there until 1852, but in that year removed to Pana, Ill., where he resided until his death in 1887. The mother still resides in the latter place.
Mr. Hughes was educated in the public schools of Pana, where he received excellent drill and advantages, and he took his professional training at the Chicago College of Pharmacy, from which institution he graduated in 1883. For eleven years he worked in a drug store in Pana, during which time he attended the college and received his diploma. After graduation he went West and made a tour of California, Arizona, Old and New Mexico, Indian Territory, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. His trip covered a period of three years. During a portion of this time he was occupied in mining and upon a ranch, and worked in a drug store for a while in Denver, Col. Returning home he soon after went into business on his own account at Oconee, where we now find him. He carries a full line of staple drugs, wall paper, glass paints and oils, toilet articles, jewelry, clocks, watches, cigars, school supplies, etc., and has an excellent trade in these various lines.
On May 28, 1889 was the happy wedding day of our subject with Miss Ida M. Morris a daughter of William Morris of this place. This lady, Mrs. Hughes, was the only child of her parents being born in Oconee, April 15, 1867. One child, Marietta, died in early infancy. Mr. Hughes is a Republican in his pollical views, and has always advocated principles of the party which placed Abraham Lincoln in the Presidential chair and supported his hand during the trying years of the Civil War. He has served for two years as Township Clerk of Pana, and is a member of Oconee Camp, No. 1312 M. W. of A., of which he was a charter member, and where he has held the office of Worthy Advisor. He is member, as were his parents before him, of the Roman Catholic Church, and his good wife is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The parents of our subject had five sons and three daughters, five of whom now survive, namely: William L., who is the eldest and resides in Pana, Ill., carrying on the drug business; Mary F., the wife of Thomas Scott, a barber in Pana; Martin F., who is married and is carrying on the coal business in Pana; Thomas P., who is engaged in the hotel business in Decatur; and the deceased members of the family are Ella, Edward and Anna, all of whom died while the family were living in Pana. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Men of wealth and public-spirit have abundant opportunities for advancing the social and industrial as well as material prosperity of the section of country where they make their home. To do this requires a broad vision and a willingness to think of the general good as well as of their own individual progress, yet it does not require self-sacrifice in the long run, as the prosperity of the community in general enhances the welfare of each man in particular, and the man of means who takes a wise interest in his neighborhood will thereby advance his own prosperity. Such a man we find in Anderson Hunter, who resides on section 8, Ridge Township, Shelby County.
John Hunter the father of our subject was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, and his wife Elizabeth Turner was a native of the same State. They came from that county to this State and made their home in Shelby County, about the year 1858. Their first settlement was in the country in Ridge Township, but they lived there only a short time and then removed to Shelbyville, where they completed their earthly pilgrimage. They were the honored and venerated parents of a goodly family of seven sons and three daughters.
The fifth child in this family was Anderson who was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, March 6, 1834. In that section he was given his education in the common schools and a thorough training in farm duties and there he grew to manhood and resided until he was about twenty-three years old, when he came to Shelby County. He returned, however to his native home to bring back as his wife the girl he "had left behind him." Miss Sarah A. Allen, daughter of George and Nancy (Carlisle) Allen, became the wife of Anderson Hunter, January 27, 1857. Her parents were natives of the Buckeye State where the father died and the mother afterward removed to this State settling in Ridge Township, Shelby County, where she now resides.
Mrs. Sarah Hunter was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, August 13, 1837, and there she made her home throughout her childhood and maidenhood. After her marriage with our subject, she became the mother of a numerous progeny twelve in number, four of whom died in childhood and infancy. Those who remained to cheer the heart of their mother by their affection and to become worthy members of society are: George who married Ida Weakly; Robert who took to wife Sophronia Longenbough; Harold was united in marriage with Ellen Yantis; Ida, is now Mrs. William Yantis; Preston married Mattie Eversole; Delmer, Lorin and Eva. The beloved and revered mother of this household, passed away from life in Ridge Township April 24, 1887. She was a woman of beautiful Christian character and a devout and consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.
The second marriage of Mr. Hunter took place in Hillsboro, Ill., uniting him with Miss Lucia Jones, a capable and efficient homemaker and a woman of great loveliness of character. Mr. Hunter while living in Ohio, carried on for nine years the business of carriage making, but on account of ill health he was obliged to relinquish his trade and has found in farming an avocation more suited to the maintenance of health. He has a magnificent farm of twelve hundred and eleven broad acres, located in the townships of Ridge and Pickaway and upon them he has erected an attractive home, good barns and a good set of outhouses. The community in which Mr. Hunter appreciates highly his excellent qualities, good judgment and earnest desire for its prosperity and has in-trusted to him the duties of School Director and Highway Commissioner. He is a Prohibitionist in his political views and an active and earnest worker in every way for the causes of religion and morality. He has been for fifteen years an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, in which he is a great worker and where his wife joins him in efforts for the up-building of Christianity. In their beautiful home they extend a hospitality to their friends which is both generous and gracious, thus making it one of the most delightful social centers of Ridge Township. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
We are apt to look upon the pioneer settlers in the Middle States whose work is inevitably more apparent than can be the work of a young man, as having more dynamic force than the men of today. Such, however, is not necessarily the case. It is true that the constitutions of the men of the present day have been weakened by the severe strains upon their parents, who were the pioneers of the country, but this has, to a degree, has been offset by the present rational mental and physical training to which our young men are subjected. There is as much, if not more, vitality in the representatives of agriculturalists now than ever before, and because some of our young men have inherited their homes instead of pre-empting them from the Government, is no proof that they have not as much go-ahead-ativeness and ability as their fathers.
One of the young and successful farmers and stock-raisers who lives on a fine farm of two hundred acres, is whose name is at the head of this sketch. Our subject settled here in the spring of 1890. The land was owned for some years prior to his father, Anderson Hunter, an old settler and large landowner, having twelve hundred acres of highly improved land in the county, besides a valuable timber lot. The original of our sketch was born in Ridge Township, Shelby County, August 24, 1869. He is one of a large family and was carefully reared and well educated. He lived with his father until his marriage, when he made a home upon the present location. He has always been an industrious, energetic young man, never sparing himself when there was hard work that required a cool head and quick perception. His marriage took place in Ridge Township, February 25, 1891. The young lady whom he made his wife was a Miss Mattie Eversole. She was born in Ohio, April 13, 1870, being only a small child when her parents removed to this State, settling in Ridge Township, this county. She was there reared and carefully educated, and our subject may well be proud of his handsome, refined and intelligent wife. She is the daughter of Jacob and Catherine Eversole, who are prominently engaged in church work in Ridge Township. There they have lived for a good many years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hunter are already prosperous young people and the future promises much for their ambition and energy. Mrs. Hunter is a member of the Evangelical Association. Politically, Mr. Hunter shows the tendency of the new blood by voting with the reform party. Socially he is a sustainer and member of the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails