St. Clair County Community News Items
Dr. W. W. Roman, of Belleville, has been appointed by the War Department one of the Visitors to attend the annual examination of the West Point Military Academy. [Illinois State Chronicle (Decatur, Illinois) March 27 1856 - Submitted by Nancy Piper]
The Turners- The East St. Louis Turners will inaugurate their Society by giving a grand picnic at their new hall on the ever glorious fourth. Every preparation to ensure entire satisfaction to those who may attend will be made. There will be music etc., commemorative of the occasion. We had the pleasure last Sunday of seeing the fine TURNERS HALL and were somewhat surprised to find it so nearly completed. The originators of the Turners' hall deserve great credit for the eneterprise displayed in the undertaking and the speedy manner in which they have brought it to a successful end. It is to be a place of amusement chiefly, but will be devoted to instruction in gymnastics, and is intended, also, as the forerunner in which the people may assemble for the discussion and consideration of all topics of public interest. We congratulate our fellow-citizens on having a hall large enough to hold two or three thousand people. It should be remembered that the East St.Louis Turners, aided by many liberal citizens, are entitled to the credit of erecting the largest and finest edifice of the kind in this city.
GOOD TEMPLARS PICNIC - Last Monday the Templars had a sober spree at Louis Gross's Grove. There was a fine turn-out; and much enjoyment rewarded those who attended the first Good Templar picnic. The Templars are gaining in numbers; and are now quite a respectable, and , it may be said, substantial organization.
THE PICNIC AT LOUIS GROSS'S GROVE - under the supervision of 'THE RAILROAD PROTECTIVE UNION," came off on the 24th instant, and althoough the first public demonstration every given in St. Clair county by the laboring masses, was well attended by those whose interest is identical, and whose sympathies ripenn into mutual effort, to secure to mechanics and laboring men generally, the establishment, by legislation, of eight hours to constitute a day's labor. The morning was taken up by various amusements, such a exhibitions of skill in rolling tne-pins, shooting at marks, within a circumscribed margin, tripping the "light fantastic toe" to the time of most excellent music, promenading beneath the soothing shades of tall oaks and elms, and whispering kind words of "cheer" as they sauntered along. The afternoon was occupied in part by addresses upon the subject of labor. Wm.G. Kase, Esq. was first introduced to the vast audience, who dwelt a some length upon the gret necessity of uniform organization of the laboring classes to reduce labor to a system, whereby all, whose toil is their bread, might bre materially benefited. He concluded by introducing Major John Hichcliffe, ex-editor of the Miner and Artisan, as the true friend of the laboring men, who held his audience spell-bound in elucidating the manner in which the sons of toil might ultimately obtain the object of their pursuit-the reduction in the hours of daily labor. He proceeded to, and did successfully, explain the manner of action on the part of the laboring masses that would bring about this longsought forreform; that the legislatures of the different States had already lent a listening ear to the appeal of the working man; and that Congress had inaugurated it,and they, as the representatives of the people had the indisputable ???.....
IMPROVEMENT- the first three-story brick building in this city is now being erected by Messrs. Schall & Reker, the enterprising dry goods merchants on Broadway. It will contain two large stores on the first floor;the second floor will be arranged for dwelling purposes, and the third floor will be one large hall, with two small ante-rooms. Mr. John Niemes has the contract for the mason and brick work. Mr.Burden, late of St. Louis, has charge of the carpenter work. [East St. Louis Gazette, June 28, 1866]
PICNIC- There will be a picnic in the Pecan Grove, for the benefit of the Catholic Church, on the 4th of July. We understand the management will make every exeration to get the affair up in a fittiing manner, so that everybody attending may celebrate the great day with appropriate amusement and good cheer. [East St. Louis Gazette, June 28, 1866]
HAYES & CO.- We direct the special attention of those of our readers in want of engraving, printing or improved seal presses, to the advertisement of the above firm. they will never regret giving Mr. Haynes orders, as he is a first-class workman, and turns out of his premises nothing but the best of work. Give him a call. [East St. Louis Gazette, June 28, 1866]
East St. Louis Journal, 2 Feb 1889:
- New-made ice is hard to find in this locality this season and our ice dealers will have to rely on their old stock, or go a long distance for the new material
- January has been a magnificent winter month, similar to that of a tropical climate. It has been hard on coal dealers, but a blessing to the poor
- Hon. John B. Lovington will soon commence the erection of a fine residence to cost about $10,000. All such improvements are of great value to the city
- We have known Dr. Canine for a number of years, and know him to be a good workman in all the branches of dentistry. When you want a set of teeth go to him.
- County Treasurer James D. Baker Tuesday paid City Treasurer Martin Martoll of E. St. Louis $2,105.68 being the balance of city taxes for 1887 collected by him.
- Travel on Collinsville Ave. both by pedestrian and teams is simply immense, which is destined to make this one of the most important business thoroughfares to the city--a sort of commercial boulevard.
- David Sage, proprietor of the Grand saloon in this city, will donate one half of the receipts of his saloon on Feb. 16 in aid of the fund for the building of St. Mary's Hospital. It is understood that several saloon keepers will do likewise.
- The East Carondelet school trouble has broken out anew. Tuesday, Attorney Winkleman of Belleville, in the Circuit Court filed a bill in chancery for cancellation of contract and injunction against Jacob Smetzer, Leo Pugh and Wm. W. Stewart, members of the Board of Education of East Carondelet, restraining them from employing or paying Wm. Stewart, the colored school teacher. Arthur Hamilton, Wm. Merryman and Henry Alexander, residents of East Carondelet, are the plaintiffs in the suit. They allege that Stewart was appointed at a special meeting at which one of the directors was not notified to be present, and was engaged to teach until May, when the schoolyear expires in April. They claim that the contract is void.
E. St. Louis Journal, 31 Aug 1892:
E. St. Louis Daily Journal, 1 July 1894
©Illinois Genealogy Trails