Anna Precinct Biographies
Union County Illinois Genealogy
Source: "History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois," Perrin, Chicago, ©1883.
ANDERSON, F. P.
ANDREWS, Capt. Hugh
BOUTON, Harvey Cady
CASPER, S. D.
DETRICH, H. M.
EASTMAN, Horace T.
EAVES, M. V.
Oliver Alden, merchant, Anna, is a native of Plympton, Mass., born August 7, 1828. His father, John Alden, was a farmer, a native of Massachusetts. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. His wife and mother of our subject was born in Mass., and died in her native State. They were the parents of two children, of whom Oliver was the oldest child. He was raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools. At twelve years of age, he left his home and apprenticed himself at the shoemaker's trade. When he was sixteen years of age, he gave up the shoemaker's trade and began learning the blacksmith's trade, and worked at the same in Mass. until he was twenty-two years of age. In the winter of 1850, he came to Illinois, and gain worked at his trade until 1859. He first came to Jonesboro, Union county, in 1856, and three years later engaged as clerk with John E. Nail, in a gerneral merchandising store. He continued with this gentleman until 1862, when he engaged with C. M. Willard & Co. in the same business. In 1863, he bought the stock of goods of his former employer, John E. Nail, and engaged in business for himself. In 1879 he removed his stock of goods to Anna, where he is now doing a large and lucrative business. Mr. Alden was united in matrimony in 1853 to Miss Sarah Tripp, a native of Union County. She is a daughter of William and Frankie (Grammer) Tripp, who were among the first settlers of Union County. They were from Tennessee, but natives of Georgia. Mr. and Mrs. Alden have the following children: Abby, wife of L. T. Cook; Alice, wife of H. C. Bouton; Ernest; John and Thomas, twins; Oliver, Betsey, Robert, Everett and Mary. Mr. Alden votes with the Democratic party.
F. P. ANDERSON
F. P. Anderson, jeweler, Anna, was born in St. Paul, Minn., September 1, 1858, and is a son of Dennis and Mary (Cullen) Anderson, and one of a family of ten children--nine of whom are still living. He was educated in the High School at Shelbyville, Ill., whither his parents had removed in 1868. At the age of thirteen years, he apprenticed himself to the jeweler's trade with Mr. R. N. Mitchell, with whom he worked nearly eleven years, becoming a thorough and practical workman in every department of the business he has chosen. In June 1880 he came to Anna, Ill., and opened a jewelry store, a business he has succesfully conducted ever since. He carries a large and well-selected stock of his line of goods, consisting of a full assortment of clocks, watches, jewelry of all kinds, together with a complete stock of picture frames, stationary, etc. His square dealing, gentlemanly manners toward his customers, and uniform courtesy, has won for him a large and profitable trade and hosts of friends throughout the county. Mr. Anderson was married in 1881 to Miss Anna M. Dennis of Pana, Ill., a daughter of Frank and Hannah (Colby) Dennis. They have one child, Ora, born October 28, 1881.
CAPTAIN HUGH ANDREWS
Capt. Hugh Andrews, the second child of Samuel A. and Margaret (Ramsey) Andrews, was born in Dayton, Ohio March 16, 1834. Samuel Andrews was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1802 and with his parents removed to Dayton in the year 1804. In this place he was reared and became a farmer. His father, Hugh Andrews, was a native of Ireland, who came to America in company with two brothers, and located in Pennsylvania. He was married in December, 1831. His consort was born in Hanover, Penn., December, 1811. They were both exemplary members of the Presbyterian Church. The issue of this marriage was eleven children, nine of whom, four sons and five daughters, survive to light with love and joy the evening of life of the venerable father. The mother passed away October 19,1868. Capt. Hugh Andrews was reared in Dayton, and attended the common schools of that place, and afterward studied at Wittenburg and graduated in law department of Ann Arbor University in 1864. In 1855, he came to Union County and taught school. In 1859 he went to California and for three years was a traveller and miner in that wild, rough country. He returned to Union County in 1862 and entered the service of his country as a Captain of Company D, One Hundred and Ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and continued in this service for nine months. He had studied law with Judge James Baggott of Ohio and with Col. Dougherty of Jonesboro, and in 1864 he entered upon the practice of the law, opening his office at Anna, where he is still in the active practice of his profession and conducting his fruit farm. In 1865 he was elected County School Superintendent, which position he filled with signal ability for four years. He entered into his office, finding it simply unorganized chaos. From this he brought order and placed the entire system of schools in Union County upon their present successful career of usefulness. He organized teacher's institutes, brought the teachers together and trained them to their work in a systematic way, and thus created a high order of graded schools. He built the most of the schoolhouses that now ornamented the school districts of the county, and has here erected a monument that will stand for many years as a fitting tribute to his intelligence, his energy and fine executive abilities. Capt. Andrews was married to Miss Kate E. Groff, October 8, 1867. She is a native of Lawrenceburg, Ind. Of this issue there have been eight children, of whom four, all girls, are now living, a follows: Christie L., Maggie, Mary and Sarah Belle. Capt. Andrews has had a busy life in Union County, practicing law, farming, and widely influencing the politics of the county, and filling important official positions. He has long been a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor societies, and has frequently represented the first two in the Grand Lodges. He is a young man yet, hardly reached the prime of his mental life, and is well justified in looking forward to a most promising future, and being a man of noted integrity, a high sense of honor, and a genial, warm heart, with the best of social qualities, there is around him and among his extended acquaintance a host of friends who will rejoice at any and all success that may await him.
Josiah Bean, farmer, P. O. Anna, is a native of Union County, Ill., born in December 1835. His father, George Bean, was born in Virginia in 1806, and was there raised and educated; arriving at his majority, he removed to Tennessee, and there married. In 1831 he removed to Union County, Ill., and settled in Jonesboro Precinct. He was a farmer by occupation. He died in the fall of 1856. Elizabeth (Taylor) Bean, subject's mother, was born in Tenn., in 1807, and died in Union County, Ill., December 25, 1880. She was the mother of eight children, of whom the following are living: Thomas, Josiah, Amanda, wife of Henry Hess, Emma, wife of Marshall Rendleman. Josiah, our subject, was raised on the farm and educated in the subscription schools common in his day. At twenty-three years of age, he left home and engaged in farming on his own account. He commenced life in very limited circumstances, and has succeeded in accumulating good property, and is the owner of about 1,000 acres of good land. In May, 1858, he married Miss Caroline Hileman, a native of the county. They have the following children: George C., Monroe, Nancy, Emma and Carrie. Mr. and Mrs. Bean are members of the United Baptist Church of Anna. Politically, he is a Democrat. He was at one time President of the Union County Agricultural Association for two years.
HARVEY CADY BOUTON
Harvey Cady Bouton, proprietor Farmer and Fruit-Grower, Anna. Mr. Bouton was born to his business, his father and his uncle being old in experience in printing, publishing and general newspaper enterprise before him. His birth occurred on June 28, 1856 in Centreville, St. Joseph Co., Mich. From his infancy, he was accustomed to watch the manipulations of type and press, and while yet in his early boyhood handled the composing stick and rule. His education was received at good home schools, and at Notre Dame University, Ind. After serving several years with his father in publishing the Jonesboro Gazette, he in March 1877, struck out for himself and began issuing the Farmer and Fruit-Grower in Anna, at first as a semi-monthly. In December 1877 it was made an eight-page weekly journal. In 1882 it was again enlarged and has remained thus to the present time. On October 10, 1877 he was married to Alice Alden, by whom he had one child, Susie S., born March 9, 1880.
S. D. CASPER
S. D. Casper, farmer, P. O. Anna, is a native of Union County, Ill., born June 25, 1858 to Peter H. and Elizabeth (Henderson) Casper. Peter was born in Union County in 1822 and was here raised on a farm and educated in the subscription schools of his day. He first left his home to enter the Mexican War, and served in it to its close, when he returned to Union County and engaged in farming and fruit growing to the time of his death, which occurred December 2, 1878. His wife (subject's mother) was born in Tenn. December 29, 1828 and was brought to Union County by her parents in 1837. She is the mother of the following children: Walter J., America J., S. D., Addie L., Lincoln L., John R., and Oscar. Our subject spent his early life at home, assisting to till the soil of his father's farm, and receiving such an education as could be obtained in the common schools. At nineteen years of age, he took the management of his father's farm, and is now the owner of about ninety acres of good land. His farm and its general surroundings show the marks of a good agriculturist and an enterprising man.
HARRY M. DETRICH
H. M. Detrich, Steward of the Southern Illinois Insane Asylum, Anna, is a native of Sparta, Randolph Co., Ill. He was born April 29, 1856 to J. E. and Lydia (Wise) Detrich. J. E. was born in Pennsylvania, where he received a common school education and a knowledge of the German language; he learned the printer's trade in Pennsylvania in 1832. He came to Illinois and located in Randolph County, where he worked at his trade for some time, and later became the editor and proprietor of the Columbus Herald. After two years, he engaged in the mercantile business at Sparta (formally Columbus). He was elected Representative of Randolph County, and afterward was elected Senator of his district. After the expiration of his Senatorial term, he again engaged in the mercantile business, and while thus engaged was appointed Internal Revenue Collector. At the breaking out of the late rebellion, he raised a company of men, known as Company K of the Twenty-second Illinois Regiment Volunteers, and was appointed Captain of the company. He served three years and was engaged in many battles. He was mustered out of the service on account of poor health; he returned to Randolph County and again engaged in mercantile pursuits. Under Gen. Grant's first administration, he was again appointed Internal Revenue Collector, which position he held for several years, and in connection with his official duties engaged in real estate. He was appointed Trustee of the Southern Illinois Insane Asylum, and elected President of the board. In 1882 he was appointed to a position in the Pension Department at Washington, D. C., in which he is now engaged. He has been married three times; his first wife was a Miss Shannon, who bore him two children--Robert and Fred; the former is now Deputy Clerk of Randolph County, and the latter a druggist of Alton, Ill. His second wife was Lydia Wise, the mother of our subject, and Don E., who is State's Attorney of Randolph County, Ill. He was married a third time to Mrs. S. A. Jacobs. Harry M. Detrich was educated in the high schools of Sparta, Ill., and in early life learned the printing and newspaper business; he worked at the same in this State, also in Colorado. In the spring of 1878 he was appointed Clerk of the Southern Illinois Insane Asylum, and after one year was promoted to the position of Steward by Dr. H. Wardner, which office he now holds. Mr. Detrich was married at Anna, Ill., October 19, 1881 to Miss Anna M. Hay, a native of Illinois. They have been blessed with one child, Burke H., born July 7, 1882. Mr. Detrich is an active member of the order K. of H., Anna Lodge, No. 1892. In politics he is a Republican and in 1880 he stumped this Congressional District for James A. Garfield.
James Dewitt, blacksmith, Anna. This gentleman is a native of Union County, born November 9, 1844. His father, John Dewitt, was born in Virginia where he was only partly raised when he was removed to Kentucky by his parents. He was a farmer by occupation, and engaged in the same until the breaking out of the late war when he entered it; was wounded at Fort Donelson, and died at the St. Louis Hospital from its' effects; also sunstroke; it occurred in June, 1863. His parents were natives of Virginia and of French descent. Margaret (Cruse) Dewitt, (subject's mother) was born in North Carolina and came to Union County with her parents who settled south of Jonesboro. She died in 1873, aged forty-six years. She was the mother of six children, of whom the following four are now living: Martha, wife of Henry Douglass, a farmer of Jonesboro Precinct; Mary, wife of Eli Douglass, a blacksmith of Alexander County; Laura, wife of E. C. English, a cooper of Jonesboro, and James, our subject, who was the fourth child; he was raised on the farm, and educated in the common schools; at twenty-one years of age, he left his home and apprenticed himself to Eli Douglass to learn the blacksmith's trade and remained with him for about three years; when he came to Anna and opened a shop on his own account. He is now engaged in the same business in partnership with William W. Stokes and besides doing a general blacksmithing business, they carry a large and complete stock of farm wagons, road buggies, also a large assortment of plows, cultivators, harrows, and in fact a general line of agricultural implements. Mr. Dewitt was married in 1869 to Miss Laura A. Walker, a native of Union County and a daughter of Hiram Jay and Nancy (Hargrave) Walker. This union has been blessed with the following children: Estella and Mamie. Mr. Dewitt is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor and the
I. O. O. F.
Peter Dillow, farmer, P. O. Anna. The subject of the following sketch descended from a long line of ancestors, all tillers of the soil, and has spent nearly the whole of his active life as a farmer, and now enjoys that respect, confidence and affection of his fellow-citizens which a useful and upright life can permanently secure. He was born February 28, 1820 in Union County, Ill., and is the son of Samuel and Margaret (Lingle) Dillow, natives of North Carolina and residents of this county. While yet single, the father settled with his father, Jacob Dillow, near Cobden. He is deceased. The mother of our subject survives, with him, at the ripe old age of ninety years. She is the mother of five children; the subject only survives. Peter's educational advantages were such as only a district school afforded, and were limited at that, the entire amount not being more than one year. He was subjected to the command of his father to attend the duties of farmer life until having reached his majority, when he set out for himself, marrying at that age Mahulda Treece, a daughter of Alexander Treece, the result of which union is ten childen, all of whom survive, viz., Calvin, Walter, James, Nelson, Columbus, Sydney, Mansena, Alice, Frances, Dora. Immediately after his marriage, he located on a tract of land yet in his possession, and in real earnest set about the business of taming the wilderness, which under his strong hand, guided by his consummate skill and taste, has long since been made to "rejoice and blossom as the rose;" he is one of the most successful and dexterous farmers in his neighborhood, and is the artificer of his own fortune of 400 acres of finely improved land. He has long since laid aside the wooden mold-board plow, and has at his command the modern implements for tilling the soil. Although he had but little chance for education, yet he has given his family of children every advantage he reasonably could. He votes the Democratic ticket. The family attend the Presbyterian Church.
HORACE T. EASTMAN
Horace T. Eastman, farmer and dairyman, P. O. Anna, Anna Township. The subject of this sketch stands prominent among the leading farmers of Union County, and justly merits a most honorable mention. He was born in Orleans County, N. Y., October 27, 1820, and is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Tanner) Eastman. The former was born in Vermont in 1793, and was there brought up on a farm and educated. At the age of nineteen years, he enlisted in the War of 1812, participating in the battles of Plattsburg and Burlington, under Gen. Dearborn, serving his country about two years. After the war was over, he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed during his life. In 1819 he removed to Orleans County, N.Y., and in 1835 to Ohio, locating at Sandusky. He came to Illinois in 1857 and settled in Union County and died in Anna in 1858. He was of English descent, and a son of Samuel H. Eastman, who was a native of Rhode Island, a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and who died at Sandusky, Ohio. He was a son of Ichabod Eastman, of Rhode Island, and also a soldier in the war of the Revolution. The mother of our subject was born in Vermont in 1799, and died in Michigan in 1826. She was a daughter of Josiah Tanner, a native of Massachusetts. His father, with his seven brothers, were in the United States service during the Revolutionary War. The parents of our subject had two children, he being the eldest, and the only one surviving. He was raised mostly in Ohio, and was educated in the common schools of that State. At the age of seventeen years, he left his home and commenced business for himself. He worked for other parties and also with his father at the carpenter's trade, becoming an efficient mechanic. In 1845 he engaged with the Sandusky, Dayton and Cincinnati Railroad Company, and remained with them for eleven years, five years as a journeyman carpenter, and car builder, and nearly six years as master carpenter. Upon leaving the employ of the company, he was presented by the President andother officials with complimentary recommendations as to his ability as a workman, and his industry and business habits. At the time, and in conneciton with his duties in the railroad company, he was interested in a sash and blind factory, at Sandusky, inpartnership with Samuel J. Catherman, under the firm name of Eastman & Catherman. Mr. Eastman came to UnionCounty in December, 1856, and located at Anna, whee he worked at his trade for several years. He built many of the residences and business houses of that place, including the brick mill, recently burned, also many of the finest residences and barns throughout the county. In 1861 he removed to his present farm, which he managed in conneciton with his trade, until 1880, when he gave up carpentering for the purpose of devoting his entire attention to his farm. He has 120 acres in a fine sate of cultivation and well-improved. Formerly he was largely engaged in fruit-growing, but is at present giving his attention almost wholly to the dairy business, and is sup0plying with milk some of the largest hotels in Southern Illinois, among which are the European at Anna, and the Halliday at Cairo--furnishing to the latter over $200 worth of milk per month. He keeps now about thirty cows. Mr. Eastman was married in 1849 to Miss Hannah L. Snow, a native of Genesee County, N. Y. She was born in February, 1828, and is a daughter of Libeas and Mercy (Smith) Snow; her father was a native of Vermont and a marine in the War of 1812, with Com. McDonough, in the battles of Plattsburg and Lake Champlain. He lived to be eighty-four years of age, and died in Michigan about the year 1865. His wife died in Holmes County, Ohio, October 18, 1842. Mr. and Mrs. Eastman have eight children living--Julia, wife of Henry A. Walls, a farmer of Morgan County, Ill.; Fanny, wife of L. N. Davis, a farmer of this county, Elmer B., Nora, Harmon, Horace G., Kittie and Samuel. Mr. Eastman is a Republican in politics; he is probably the largest bee-raiser in the county, and has made many improvements in hives and in bee-culture generally. On the 19th day of September, 1830, the subject of this sketch was with his father and brother on board of steamer Peacock, and when off Cattaraugus Creek, N. Y., she blew up, blowing off her forward upper works, killing, scalding and drowning over seventy people, but he escaped with a few slight burns.
M. V. EAVES
M. V. Eaves, merchant, Anna, is a native of Union county, Ill., and was born five miles east of Anna, August 28, 1845, and is a son of Judge William and Martha (Williams) Eaves. They had five children, of whom our subject was the youngest. He was brought up on the farm and educated in the common schools of the county. At the age of twenty-two years, he left home and commenced the battle of life for himself; he engaged in clerking in the store of C. M. Willard, at Anna, remaining with him for about two years, when he commenced merchandising on his own account, but after two years went back to his former employer and after two years more engaged in trading in livestock and grain, and in April, 1878, engaged in his present business in partnership with Mr. Goodman. In 1866 he married Miss Fanny Braiznell, a native of Union county and of English parentage, a daughter of Andrew Braiznell, a native of England. They have one child living--Eva, born in Anna July 22, 1867, and two children dead. He is a Democrat, a member of the Masonic order, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.